[Nomic02] Ratified: Ex Post Facto Repeal

Dylan O'Donnell nomic02@wurb.com
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:13:58 +0100

Carl Muckenhoupt wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
>
> > The following proposal has been agreed unanimously (explicitly by baf,
> > implicitly by Roger and by me) and will come into effect as Rule 161 in
> > one hour from the timestamp of this message.
>
> Now you've done it.  Ratifying this now, without Jota and jwalrus voting,
> is an action that depends on their being out of the game.

But they _are_ currently out of the game. They won't be, and won't
have been, but the adoption of a rule only cares about unanimous
agreement at the time that it was ratified; it doesn't examine itself
subsequently. At worst, you can argue that this rule falls back out of
the ruleset after the proposal that it's designed to facilitate comes
into effect, but I don't think even that happens.

(I'm open to correction, though; if I'm wrong, all that needs to
happen is that jwalrus votes Aye, and I post a second ratification.
One of my ratification posts will be a lie, but it won't particularly
matter which one.)

--
:  Dylan O'Donnell                     http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/  :
:   "Any sufficiently arcane magic is indistinguishable from technology."    :