[Nomic02] Ratified: Ex Post Facto Repeal

Adam Biltcliffe nomic02@wurb.com
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:41:23 +0100

--On 12 June 2003 9:13 am +0100 Dylan O'Donnell <psmith@spod-central.org>
wrote:

> (I'm open to correction, though; if I'm wrong, all that needs to
> happen is that jwalrus votes Aye, and I post a second ratification.
> One of my ratification posts will be a lie, but it won't particularly
> matter which one.)

Well, I should vote Aye, then; it rather seems as though the rule ought to
have come into effect as soon as you ratified it whether you like it or
not, but I suppose this is the point of ex post facto repeal. Also, I
should extend the confusion by pointing out that the proposed rule uses the
word 'action' for the superclass of things which must not have taken place
contingent on the removed rule; by my reading ratification is not an
action, although the rules are slightly sloppy in the use of the word prior
to its definition in rule 63.

jw