[Nomic02] Map movement

Carl Muckenhoupt nomic02@wurb.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:24:49 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Adam Biltcliffe wrote:

> I'm not certain I like this; it seems as though it could potentially slow
> the game down a lot. I can see the value in having an active player to
> avoid race conditions and in limiting frequency of action, though. Are
> players expected to end their turns as soon as they have carried out all
> the actions they want to perform, or will turns typically last the maximum
> 24 hours?

I'd certainly encourage people to explicitly end their turns rather than
let them time out.  But the timeout clause is necessary to keep people
from blocking progress by inaction, and 24 hours seems like a reasonable
turnaround to me.

> Also, is the gotcha in "posts the words 'next turn'" intentional? I can see
> turns being ended by accident that way, and unless that was your intent I'd
> be happier with a phrasing like "announces that their turn is over".

Well, okay.  I like the principle of specifying an exact phrasing to
eliminate ambiguity, and would gladly substitute "Blanchard regumas" or
some other unlikely construction.  But from the way things are going, I
suspect that such any such exact phrase would be ignored part of the time,
so "announces their turn is over" is probably better.  Any other
revisions?