[Nomic02] Map movement

Admiral Jota nomic02@wurb.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:25:43 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Adam Biltcliffe wrote:

> I'm not certain I like this; it seems as though it could potentially slow
> the game down a lot. I can see the value in having an active player to
> avoid race conditions and in limiting frequency of action, though. Are
> players expected to end their turns as soon as they have carried out all
> the actions they want to perform, or will turns typically last the maximum
> 24 hours?

Hmm. I'd seen the 24 hours as a limiting factor, to prevent the turns from
slowing the game to a standstill in the case that someone didn't take
their turn, with the assumption that (once there was some more interesting
stuff to do on one's turn) people would end their turns when they were
done doing stuff. But I admit I had no real reason for that assumption.

> Also, is the gotcha in "posts the words 'next turn'" intentional? I can see
> turns being ended by accident that way, and unless that was your intent I'd
> be happier with a phrasing like "announces that their turn is over".

Good point. That probably ought to be clearer. I change my earlier vote to
a tentative "nay".

> I don't think you're allowed to do this unless you propose it as a rule,
> since my rule that the map can be changed by unanimous agreement hasn't
> been approved by Roger yet. Also, were you intending that this be a general
> property of the map or just that the rooms currently in existence be
> immediately connected in this manner? It seems like a good algorithm, but
> we might want to later make rooms which are harder to get to or otherwise
> connected in specific ways.

I had intended to withhold official announcement of ratification until
your rule had passed, but I can wait on the proposal itself as well if you
wish. Also, the proposal was intended to apply to all existing and future
rooms, except any rooms which later ratified proposals specified as being
exceptions -- it wasn't meant to necessarily be the only method by which
rooms kight be connected.

--
                                     _/<-=    Admiral Jota    =->\_
                                      \<-= jota@shelltown.com =->/