[Nomic02] Map movement

Adam Biltcliffe nomic02@wurb.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 19:17:06 -0000

--On 16 January 2003 12:56 pm -0500 Admiral Jota <jota@shelltown.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Carl Muckenhoupt wrote:
>
>> At any moment, one player is "active", and it is the active player's
>> turn. Turns end after 24 hours, or when the active player posts the
>> words "Next turn", or when the active player is removed from the game,
>> whichever comes first.  When a turn ends, the next active player is the
>> player whose name comes next in alphabetical order (by surname, using
>> the names by which players are known in this game), or if there is no
>> such player, the first player in alphabetical order.  When this rule
>> goes into effect, the first player in alphabetical order will become
>> active.

I'm not certain I like this; it seems as though it could potentially slow
the game down a lot. I can see the value in having an active player to
avoid race conditions and in limiting frequency of action, though. Are
players expected to end their turns as soon as they have carried out all
the actions they want to perform, or will turns typically last the maximum
24 hours?

Also, is the gotcha in "posts the words 'next turn'" intentional? I can see
turns being ended by accident that way, and unless that was your intent I'd
be happier with a phrasing like "announces that their turn is over".

Withholding vote on this for now.

>> Two rooms may be declared "connected" to each other by unanimous
>> consent.  Connections between rooms are part of the state of the game.

Aye.

> Aye. And, to follow that up, I propose (not as a rule, but just as game
> state data):
>
> Any two rooms whose names, ignoring any articles ("the", "an", and "a"),
> share at least three distinct consonants (letters of the English alphabet
> not including "a", "e", "i", "o", or "u") will be considered to be
> connected.

I don't think you're allowed to do this unless you propose it as a rule,
since my rule that the map can be changed by unanimous agreement hasn't
been approved by Roger yet. Also, were you intending that this be a general
property of the map or just that the rooms currently in existence be
immediately connected in this manner? It seems like a good algorithm, but
we might want to later make rooms which are harder to get to or otherwise
connected in specific ways.

>> To "move" something means to change its location on the map to a room
>> connected to that location.

Aye.

>> Once per turn, the active player may move him/herself by posting
>> intention to do so.

I'm not voting on this now, since if I agreed to it it would come into
effect before the rule defining what a turn is. Once the turn rule or a
suitable alternative is passed I'll approve this.

jw