[Nomic02] [T] J

Dylan O'Donnell nomic02@wurb.com
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:53:02 +0000

Adam Biltcliffe wrote:
> --On 27 March 2003 7:03 am -0500 Admiral Jota <jota@shelltown.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi. Looks like it's my turn. So I'll cause the monkey to steal the golden
> >corknut from jwalrus, and (if that's valid), I'll further move the monkey
> >from Saturn to Central Park.
>
> Sorry, but I don't believe it is valid. Under Rule 65, nothing can be
> stolen from me while the Baron is watching my back,

Rule 65. If a player and that player's servant are in the same
location, no tokens carried by either may be stolen by any other
player.

This says nothing about preventing the monkey stealing.

> and Rule 85 (which allows the monkey to steal things) specifically
> allows the monkey to steal things while in a high-security area but
> says nothing about servants, so I assume 65 still applies.

At the time Get Your Monkey Hands Out Of My Pocket! [Jota] was
proposed, I queried him on ifMUD about the necessity of the
parenthetical comment; he assured me it was redundant explication.
(Ugg. Long words. Long words bad.) I don't think it can be used to
read words into 65 that aren't there.

> This means that the monkey can't steal the golden corknut from me. Since
> the rest of the orders in your email were conditional on that succeeding,
> none of them have happened, and it's still your turn (for another two and a
> half hours, until 1:39am on the 28th).

If my opinion is wrong, Jota's alternative turn happened; if it's not,
his original did. I'm happy either way, but it's good to know which
(if nothing else, it determines how long baf has to take his turn).

--
:  Dylan O'Donnell                     http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/  :
: "A bold choice, sir!" breathes the kiltmaker excitedly. "No man would dare :