[Nomic02] Map movement

Admiral Jota nomic02@wurb.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:56:51 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Carl Muckenhoupt wrote:

> At any moment, one player is "active", and it is the active player's turn.
> Turns end after 24 hours, or when the active player posts the words "Next
> turn", or when the active player is removed from the game, whichever comes
> first.  When a turn ends, the next active player is the player whose name
> comes next in alphabetical order (by surname, using the names by which
> players are known in this game), or if there is no such player, the first
> player in alphabetical order.  When this rule goes into effect, the first
> player in alphabetical order will become active.

Aye.

> (Commentary: This is not intended to limit actions not specified to take
> place on turns.  Do we need to spell this out?)

Since there's not yet any significance to the term "active" outside these
proposals, I don't see any problem there.

> Two rooms may be declared "connected" to each other by unanimous
> consent.  Connections between rooms are part of the state of the game.

Aye. And, to follow that up, I propose (not as a rule, but just as game
state data):

Any two rooms whose names, ignoring any articles ("the", "an", and "a"),
share at least three distinct consonants (letters of the English alphabet
not including "a", "e", "i", "o", or "u") will be considered to be
connected.

> To "move" something means to change its location on the map to a room
> connected to that location.

Aye. It appears implicit in the rule that something must have a location
on the map for its location to be changed. If that's not generally seen as
implicit, then I'll retract my vote.

> Once per turn, the active player may move him/herself by posting intention
> to do so.

Aye.

--
                                     _/<-=    Admiral Jota    =->\_