Subject: Call for a town meeting!!!!!!!

From: "Cassie Harley" <charley@t...>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 07:55:30 -0000

I just came back from buying a wedding dress, and generally spending 
the weekend wondering why my mother found it so important to ask the 
caterers whether it was 'real or canned fruit in the fruit salad' 
and I am faced with 90 messages.....

- The messages are so messy. (ie 60 lines from a previous post, 
followed by a two line comment)
- They are all over the place.
- The proposals are so hard to follow.
- The debates are hard to follow (actually they are almost non-
existant, every post is almost a proposal, an call for judgement, or 
any appeal.

I am NOT going to submit any proposals, I just want a chat.

I have no idea how other nomic games work, but 90 posts from just 5 
peoples is scary, even if it is going to calm down, right now it is 
verging on dangerous (for the game).
Much appreciated to bd for doing a 'unoffical report of things'.

Perhaps as founders of this game, we could first each suggest a 
point or two that we think is most important.
Agree on the most important points, and then discuss (debate)ways to 
deal with them, finally put forth a proposal, and hopefully get a 
solid foundation.

I will start, by offering what I think the most important thing is.
Actually two things.
1) Some order to all of the postings.
2) A good workaround to the creation deletion of points

Just a thought.

Cassie.

---

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:28:57 -0400

>deal with them, finally put forth a proposal, and hopefully get a

One thing is for sure: All five of us are too quick to jump into action. We
make too many proposals, and then need too many CFJs. If we were all to
agree to discuss everything, and then not even submit any proposal that
wasn't likely to pass, we could almost definitely decrease the traffic on
the list. I also think things might quiet down more if the "Online polls are
fun" proposal passes, since you don't need to post to the list to vote.
Another possibility is for the rules to evolve to a point where the meat of
the game is no longer the rule changes, so that most of the game is at least
planned in private e-mail. I think that last one may be impractical with
only five players.

---

From: bd <bdonlan@b...>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 19:06:45 -0400

> verging on dangerous (for the game).

I've played B Nomic for a while. It has more players, and much less traffic 
(with a few spikes). But I haven't seen the beginning of a Nomic before.

> Much appreciated to bd for doing a 'unoffical report of things'.

That was Craig.

> 2) A good workaround to the creation deletion of points

Dunno, but here's one:
Kudoses should be a way to convert Therms and points to Things, which can be 
used to make new rules. The points should increase the probability of 
success, or reduce the number of Therms required. And players should only be 
allowed to destroy their own Kudoses (of course).
- -- 
bd
The very ink with which all history is written is merely fluid prejudice.
-- Mark Twain