Subject: Nomic Market will begin whenever

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 17:36:57 -0400

I have created a mailing list for a new Nomic Market. Both B Nomic and
ThermodyNomic are encouraged to petition for membership. In fact, in Thermo,
I hereby submit the following:

<begin proposal 'free trade'>
A rule 0.5 will be created, reading "There are no restrictions on players
entering the Nomic Market."
ThermodyNomic will officially ask to be recognized as a participant by the
Nomic Market.
This proposal shall be destroyed.
<end proposal 'free trade'>

Anyway, for now the Market will use the mailing list
[email-masked] and its web archives will be at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nomicmarket/ , if anyone with the capability
to host mailing lists wishes to get it off of yahoogroups, I'm cool with
that; just let me know.

The rules for the Nomic Market will be as follows:

Any player of any Nomic on the List may declare emself to be at the Market,
subject to the rules of eir home Nomic. Such a declaration must be made on
the Nomic Market mailing list and on the list of the home Nomic; archives of
both must be publicly availible. While at the Market, all players may give
their in-game posessions to one another; such things are destroyed in one
game and created in another. Any player who is at the Market continuously
for one week without trading any goods is considered to leave the Market.
While at the Market, all players are bound by the rules of the Market and of
their home Nomics; anything not prohibited by either of these is permitted.

Since this is a Nomic-related activity, it is only natural that the rules be
amendable; therefore this document may be amended if and only if a proposed
change has the support of two thirds of all who are currently at the Market.
One exception is that the list of participating Nomics may be amended
whenever a Nomic that wishes to be added demonstrates that its rules and
archives are publicly availible and formally asks the Administrator to add
it. The list of participating Nomics is below. The Administrator shall be an
individual responsible for tracking all changes to the Nomic Market rules;
currently it is the entity known as Craig.

(There are no currently participating Nomics)

---

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 14:13:24 -0400

I submitted the following three days ago. Nobody has voted yet, including
me. Well, I'm FOR it.

---

From: Doctor Ducker <drduck@u...>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 11:35:59 -0700

> ><end proposal 'free trade'>

Given recent events, I'm still considering this proposal, but I'm leaning against it at the
moment. I very much like the idea of a nomic market, but I think it's ruleset is far too vague
at the moment, and I am therefore concerned we may be getting in too deep...

---

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 14:39:45 -0400

>at the moment, and I am therefore concerned we may be getting in too
deep...

Currently, a mere 0 people can amend the rules. So, if you dislike them,
suggest a fix and it will be so.

---

From: Doctor Ducker <drduck@u...>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 11:43:43 -0700

> suggest a fix and it will be so.

Yup, I'm aware, and working on it. But I don't know how long it'll take me as I would like it
to be fairly comprehensive, and I've little experience trying to create a ruleset to spec.

---

From: bd <bdonlan@b...>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 15:22:23 -0400

On Sunday 27 April 2003 02:39 pm, Craig wrote:
> >Given recent events, I'm still considering this proposal, but I'm leaning
>
> against it at the
>
> >moment. I very much like the idea of a nomic market, but I think it's
>
> ruleset is far too vague
>
> >at the moment, and I am therefore concerned we may be getting in too
>
> deep...
>

Sounds like a recipe for disaster - exactly 0 people right now suggest that 
its rules be changed to, say:
{{
Monkey.
}}
Or something equally random and nonsensical. Then again, we can always 
temporaraly ignore that fact, and burn this email :P
- -- 
bd
<kira> is a surgical war where you go give the foreign troops nose jobs?

---

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 15:43:51 -0400

>to be fairly comprehensive, and I've little experience trying to create a
ruleset to spec.

Well, one bit of historical reference: At the time Pure N_omic died, its
ruleset was still fairly simple. It is still availible in its final form at
http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/oBqsPtR_Qa1-bs7d8m0UUpBhfE8ySZOeQy_6-0TZ_EZv0dH
o0hCUTpaxCrAf6OBv3j7GNojS3I_rnRAC/%2APure%2A%20n_omic/Current%20Ruleset%20fo
r%20%2APure%2A%20N_omic. Anyway, I posted a suggestion (the Pure N_omic
equivalent of a proposal) as an April Fools joke. The suggestion pretended
to be from one of the other players (I messed with the headers), and it
would have created the following rule:

Any player may, at a cost of two points, make a rule Immune. This lasts for
one week.
Every Monday, if there are any non-Immune rules, a rule is chosen at random.
If that rule is not Immune, it is removed from the ruleset.
This rule is Immune.

When one of the players suggested that it would actually be interesting, a
few modifications made it the Second Sacred Law of ThermodyNomic. The
initial ruleset we began with took about two months of writing and editing,
with input from several people.

---

From: Doctor Ducker <drduck@u...>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:41:13 -0700

> <end proposal 'free trade'>

Given the recent changes to the Market ruleset, I vote FOR this proposal.

---

From: bd <bdonlan@b...>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:41:52 -0400

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 06:41 pm, Doctor Ducker wrote:
> > ThermodyNomic will officially ask to be recognized as a participant by
> > the Nomic Market.

FOR
- -- 
bd
Biology grows on you.