Subject: Summary of Discussion of InterNomic Activity on the B Nomic List

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 20:28:24 -0400

The B Nomic community has done a little bit of discussing of the possibility
of trading between Nomics. Although my latest idea is still fairly new, so
far I get the impression that the general feeling is that it would be really
cool for Thermo to add a Grid like theirs and let players teleport. Any
objections? Any proposed implementations?

---

From: Doctor Ducker <drduck@u...>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 00:36:43 -0700

> objections? Any proposed implementations?

I actually like the idea of a MarketNomic better. Too much cross-over could become dangerous to
our game.

---

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 06:47:40 -0400

>I actually like the idea of a MarketNomic better. Too much cross-over
could become dangerous to

I imagine the B Nomic folks will too - there just hasn't been much
discussion yet. Should we implement my Market proto, or maybe make a
seperate Nomic Hub where multiple Nomics can trade?

---

From: Doctor Ducker <drduck@u...>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 04:44:57 -0700

Craig wrote:

> I imagine the B Nomic folks will too - there just hasn't been much discussion yet. Should we
> implement my Market proto, or maybe make a seperate Nomic Hub where multiple Nomics can trade?
>
>

Wasn't there an older attempt at a "TradeNomic"? Seems like that would be a decent starting
point for any such activities. I can't seem to find it though, only stuff on InterNomic.

---

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:57:47 -0400

>> >I actually like the idea of a MarketNomic better. Too much cross-over
could become dangerous
>> to
discussion yet. Should we

>point for any such activities. I can't seem to find it though, only stuff
on InterNomic.

I can't find any info on it, so we'll have to start from scratch. Does
everyone feel it would be enough of a Good Thing to merit implementation? If
so, I will try to get one started, but I am not availible to administer it
and be the Speaker of Thermo at the same time.

---

From: cortex <cortex@n...>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:06:45 -0400

> and be the Speaker of Thermo at the same time.

I like the idea of trade, and like someone else I prefer the notion of
the Market as something we can interface with; I'm not so hot on the
grid notion, seems like we'd be emulating more than creating. 

And the mention (from a message Craig forwarded from the other list) of
our economic instability seems like a non-issue. Who needs an official
exchange rate? Let the market bear what it will! :)

Josh

-- 
This is my signature. * BEHOLD! * (1) cortex@n...
There are many like it, * Josh Millard * (2) /~cortex at same
But this one is mine. * OBEY! * (3) the voice in yer head

---

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:26:02 -0400

>exchange rate? Let the market bear what it will! :)

An official exchange rate has one advantage. If A is a player of Thermo, and
B is a player of B Nomic, then A and B can only trade if they have a
currency in common. If A wishes to buy B's Siren Bait, e'd better be
prepared to fork over some B Nomic Shillings - Coins are not useful in B
Nomic. If ENSP fails, they both might want Points, but a Thermo point is so
much harder to come by. Now, if B knew that upon leaving the Market e would
instantly get eir Coin replaced with 750 BNS (just as an example, I'm not
sure what the rate should be), they would have a deal. Obviously if A
thought it was worth at least one Coin to em to have two Siren Baits, and B
thought e could better use 750 BNS than the Siren Baits - which e probably
could, as I don't think Siren Bait is worth that much - then they would have
a deal. Since the response seems to be generally favorable, I've begun
drafting rules for a Market Nomic. It's a challenge. Anyone who wants to
help, let's discuss this off-list. Since we've started munging the header, I
should mention that my address is ragnarok at pobox dot com.