Subject: RE: [Thermo] Ruleset comments (was Re: [n_omic] SPAM: ThermodyNomic)

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 20:37:19 -0400

I meant to post this to the group, but have gotten unused to sensible reply
policies in Nomic and hit the wrong reply button.

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig [mailto:raganok@i...]
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 6:19 PM
To: rsholmes@m...
Subject: RE: [Thermo] Ruleset comments (was Re: [n_omic] SPAM:
ThermodyNomic)

>Most of my comments and questions, of course, addressed fairly minor
>things. But this ruleset is missing two things which, I believe,
>ought to be present in at least rudimentary form in any ruleset: a
>graceful way to transfer responsibilities when necessary (with or
>without the cooperation of the person whose responsibilities are being
>transferred), and a judicial system. Neither needs to be very
>elaborate at the start, but I absolutely believe it's a mistake to
>omit them and hope they'll be defined once the game gets going. All
>too many Nomics have died in infancy due to a lack of one or the
>other.

I will modify the initial rules to allow proposals to change the possessor
of Things.

I currently have no ideas for a judiciary, and at the point where we start
suggesting ideas and voting on which one to use, we have already begun the
game. If all three of us want to start now, I don't mind doing so, but until
we do start I will not add a judiciary to the initial rules unless you two
can agree on its best form, and I will then add it in the form you agree on.

---

From: rsholmes@m...
Date: 10 Apr 2002 10:07:31 -0400

> I will modify the initial rules to allow proposals to change the possessor

By "transfer of responsibility" I mean procedures to continue the game
if the Speaker wants to resign, or disappears, or fails to execute eir
duties. Lack of such has killed numerous Nomics early.

I would not advise starting with any fewer than five or so players,
preferably more.

-- 
- Rich Holmes
Syracuse, NY

---

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:40:37 -0400

>duties. Lack of such has killed numerous Nomics early.

And is there a better way to do that than to have the Speaker change, which
means changing the posessor of the Office?

>I would not advise starting with any fewer than five or so players,

Neither would I, but it would be unnomical for me to refuse to start if
everybody else wanted to. I'm glad to see they don't.