Subject: We need action

From: bd <bdonlan@b...>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 20:55:40 -0400

Ether someone should think up a good modification, or we should scrap the 
thermo idea - things seem to be stagnating.
- -- 
bd
You will have a long and boring life.

---

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 22:35:36 -0400

>thermo idea - things seem to be stagnating.

There's no such thing as ether.
Anyway, perhaps it's time for the game to evolve out of its original
thermodynamic idea. I always assumed it would one day, and am frankly
surprised at how long it's lasted. A related proposal:

<begin proposal 'limiting entropy'>
Rule 4.0 is repealed.

Now, let's see, what to do with that Thing I've now got the right to
create...
I know!

Craig receives one Coin.

Hmm...
Destroy this proposal.
Craig receives another Coin.

And, because I can:
Destroy one Coin belonging to Craig.
Craig receives another Coin.
<end proposal 'limiting entropy'>

---

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 22:36:02 -0400

><end proposal 'limiting entropy'>

FOR, btw

---

From: Nathan McCoy <nmccoy@o...>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 19:30:18 -0700

> thermo idea - things seem to be stagnating.

Very well, then.

<begin "How to Win" proposal>
Create a new group of rules entitled "WINNING THE GAME", and containing rule 16:
"Whenever a player has 50 or more Coins, that player may claim a win, at which
point that player wins the game."
Destroy this proposal.
<end "How to Win" proposal>

---

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 22:58:51 -0400

><end "How to Win" proposal>

For. I also submit the following proposal, designed to stop such a victory
from ending the game by preventing others from winning while still
recognizing winners:

<begin proposal 'wins don't end it'>
If there is no group of rules headed WINNING THE GAME, then ignore this
proposal. Otherwise:

Create a rule in the group OFFICES whose number is higher than the highest
number of a rule in that group but lower than the lowest number of a rule
not in that group whose number exceeds that of the highest number that is in
the group. If you can understand that. It shall have the text:
There is an Office known as the Victory Cabbage, whose holder is called the
Winner.

Destroy rule 16 and replace it with a new rule 16.0 with the following text:
Whenever a player has 50 or more Coins, that player may claim a win, at
which point that player gains posession of the Victory Cabbage and all of
eir Coins are randomly distributed among the set of all entities capable of
owning Coins.
<end proposal 'wins don't end it'>

---

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 23:13:14 -0400

><begin proposal 'wins don't end it'>

I forgot to add the "destroy this proposal" and I forgot about the
office-creation precedent.
I therefore submit take two:

<begin proposal 'gone with the wins'>
If there is no group of rules headed WINNING THE GAME, then ignore this
proposal. Otherwise:

Destroy one Coin belonging to Craig.
Destroy this proposal.
<end proposal 'gone with the wins'>

And I'm FOR it.

---

From: bd <bdonlan@b...>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 07:19:01 -0400

> <end proposal 'limiting entropy'>

FOR

- -- 
bd
Se tens a língua comprida, é bom que tenhas o lombo duro.

---

From: bd <bdonlan@b...>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 07:19:43 -0400

On Friday 06 June 2003 10:30 pm, Nathan McCoy wrote:
> Create a new group of rules entitled "WINNING THE GAME", and containing
> rule 16: "Whenever a player has 50 or more Coins, that player may claim a
> win, at which point that player wins the game."
> Destroy this proposal.

FOR
- -- 
bd
God, I ask for patience -- and I want it right now!

---

From: bd <bdonlan@b...>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 07:20:28 -0400

On Friday 06 June 2003 10:58 pm, Craig wrote:
> rule 16:
> >"Whenever a player has 50 or more Coins, that player may claim a win, at
>
> which
>
> not in that group whose number exceeds that of the highest number that is
> in the group. If you can understand that. It shall have the text:
> Destroy rule 16 and replace it with a new rule 16.0 with the following
> text: Whenever a player has 50 or more Coins, that player may claim a win,
> at which point that player gains posession of the Victory Cabbage and all
> of eir Coins are randomly distributed among the set of all entities capable
> of owning Coins.

FOR
- -- 
bd
If life is a stage, I want some better lighting.

---

From: bd <bdonlan@b...>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 07:21:01 -0400

> <end proposal 'gone with the wins'>

FOR
- -- 
bd
<kira> Ada, the only language written to milspec.
<Mikster> <shudder>

---

From: Doctor Ducker <drduck@u...>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 05:20:54 -0700

bd wrote:

>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>Hash: SHA1
>
< snip >

>><end proposal 'wins don't end it'>
I've registered the various votes from Craig and bd, on these newer 
proposals, as they're the only ones yet to cast eir votes. However eir 
votes with regard to this particualr proposal (wins don't end it), are 
not noted as this proposal is in violation of the Three Sacred Laws.

Also, what do people think of the new layout/style of the information 
pages? <http://www.geocities.com/ducker756/>

---

From: cortex <cortex@n...>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 10:12:43 -0400

> <end "How to Win" proposal>

FOR, by gum.

Josh

-- 
This is my signature. * BEHOLD! * (1) cortex@n...
There are many like it, * Josh Millard * (2) /~cortex at same
But this one is mine. * OBEY! * (3) the voice in yer head

---

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 11:56:12 -0400

>pages? <http://www.geocities.com/ducker756/>

My only complaint is that there is no way for you to do anything about the
popups.

---

From: bd <bdonlan@b...>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 11:58:55 -0400

> My only complaint is that there is no way for you to do anything about the

Maybe we should ask for hosting on nomic.net?
- -- 
bd
Ah, but a man's grasp should exceed his reach, 
Or what's a heaven for ?
-- Robert Browning, "Andrea del Sarto"

---

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 12:03:46 -0400

>Maybe we should ask for hosting on nomic.net?

Ooh. Good idea. And here I was just complaining about Geoshitties.

---

From: Doctor Ducker <drduck@u...>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 15:42:36 -0700

Craig wrote:

>>>My only complaint is that there is no way for you to do anything about
>>> 
>>>
>the
> 
>
>>>popups.
>>> 
>>>
>
> 
>
Actually, it's my bad... I had forgotten to include the double hidden 
span tags at the end of each page. I've rectified it on the site, and 
in my local templates.

This is of course, assuming that your talking about the little 
yahoo/geocities branded micro-windows and not some more insidious kind 
of popup. If it is actually something more like that, then all I can 
say is, get a better browser (Mozilla, Opera can both deal with these).

---

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 18:53:52 -0400

>say is, get a better browser (Mozilla, Opera can both deal with these).

I mean the kind where it opens a window about FREE INTERNET WASHER PRO or
some such nonsense. But I don't care enough about either those or the
horrific privacy invasions to install anything other than Explorer. My
feeling about most of the web is, if you can't be bothered to make a page
that doesn't irritate any visitors, then I don't need to look at it.

---

From: Doctor Ducker <drduck@u...>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 16:07:32 -0700

>that doesn't irritate any visitors, then I don't need to look at it.
I guess my take on it is, that I don't see those because of my browser, 
and at least for me, Explorer isn't an option (I'm on Linux), so I guess 
I'm kinda spoiled that way.

I would recommend to you to at least try out Opera. It's a smallish 
download, has better standards compliance than IE, will always be a 
stand-alone component, works extremely fast, etc. Mozilla is by far a 
better browser than Opera, but it is a beast of a download ;)

As far as *my* making a site which doesn't irritate visitors, I've done 
what I can to reduce it, but what's occurring is geocities adding code 
onto the end of my pages. The only active thing I've done is choosing 
geocities, and that was primarily due to the fact that I could be lazy 
and only have to log into the Yahoo system once for all things Thermo. 
I'll gladly work with another site if you can point it out to me.

---

From: Doctor Ducker <drduck@u...>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 16:28:49 -0700

>I'll gladly work with another site if you can point it out to me.
P.S. I've also added some extra code, which I hope can cancel the popup 
javascript, but I'm not sure. Please let me know if it worked or not.

---

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 22:53:16 -0400

>I'll gladly work with another site if you can point it out to me.

Hence my complaining about Geocities rather than about you.