Subject: Rule Set

From: Xylen <mctupper@h...>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 15:10:03 -0600

0. Definitions

Rule-Changes which amend or repeal this rule cannot be adopted unless 
there are FOR votes equal to the number of Active Players

Voting Mailing List (VML) <[email-masked]> This list is
limited to Actions that require Players to place a Vote. Examples
include, but are not limited to:
Proposals
Accusations
Voting

Official Action mailing list(OAML): <[email-masked]>
This list is used only for official game actions which do not 
require Players to place a Vote.
Examples include, but are not limited to:
Announcement or Reminders of Proposals
Announcement or Reminders of Accusations
Announcements of Adoption

Rules Mailing List(RML):<[email-masked]>
This list is limited to the posting of enacted and amended rules. This
list represents the current Ruleset.

Discussion mailing list(DML):
<[email-masked]> This list is used for discussion and game
related musings. Nothing posted to the DML has any effect on the game.
Examples include, but are not limited to: Discussions on proposals
General discussion about the game.

Player
A player is someone who is subscribed to the OAML, the VML, RML, and
the DML.

Active Player:
An player is known as active if they have posted to the DML during 
the previous 14 days.

Stasis Player
A player is known as "In Stasis" if they have not posted to the DML 
during the previous 14 days.

Rule-Set : The collection of all rules

Rule-Change: The enactment, repeal, and/or amendment of one or more 
rules.

Escape-Hatch: The Players of Socialnomic reserve the right to, by
unanimous or near-unanimous informal decision, amend whatever parts of
the ruleset that, for whatever reason, make the Game unplayable. The
instant this Definition is repealed or modified, the Game restarts
using its starting Ruleset.

1. All players must always abide by all the rules then in effect. 
These rules are found in the archive of messages from the OAML with 
the subject line "Rule [n]", where n is the assigned number of the 
rule. If multiple messages exist with identical Subject lines, the 
most recent posting (based on the Archive Date) is the rule in 
effect. If a message with the subject line "Rule [n] Repealed" has an 
archive date which is more recent than a message with the subject 
line "Rule [n]", the original Rule is not in effect.

2. All players may post a Rule-Change to the VML with the subject 
line "[playername] - Proposal [n]" where [n] is an integer one 
greater than the most recently posted Rule-Change on the VML, and 
[playername] is text identifying the player which posted the Rule-
Change. Following the post to the VML, A message must be posted to 
the OAML with the subject line "Proposal [n] Open for Voting".

3. All rule-changes proposed in the proper way shall be voted on. If 
a Rule-Change is adopted, they shall guide play in the form in which 
they were posted to the VML.

4. Every player is an eligible voter. Each eligible voter may 
participate in every vote on rule-changes by posting a reply to the 
applicable message on the VML. The body of the reply should be blank 
and the Subject line unchanged except for the addition of the Vote 
word, which should be entirely capitalized. Example of a proper vote 
for a message with the subject line "Xylen - Proposal 1" would 
be "Re: Xylen - Proposal 1 FOR"

5. Each player has a maximum of one vote per proposal. Permissible 
Votes are as follows:
FOR
AGAINST

6. A Rule-change can be Adopted if it satisfies one of the following 
conditions:
There are more Votes FOR the rule-change than the number of Active 
Players divided by Two.
A Rule change can be Defeated if it satisfies one of the following 
conditions:
There are more Votes AGAINST the rule change than the number of 
Active Players divided by Two.

7. When a Rule-Change can be Adopted, any player may post a message 
to the OAML with the Subject line "Proposal [n] Adopted", where [n] 
is equal to the number assigned to the Rule-Change in question. The 
player who posts that message to the OAML (known as the Adopter) must 
then take the following steps:

For each Rule Enacted by the Rule-Change, the Adopter must post a 
message to the OAML with the subject "Rule [n]", where [n] is an 
integer one greater than the most recently posted Rule on the OAML. 
The body of this message must be the text of the rule as specified by 
the Rule-Change posted to the VML.

For each Rule Repealed by the Rule-Change, the Adopter must post a 
message to the OAML with the subject "Rule [n] Repealed". The body 
of that message must be blank.

For each Rule Amended by the Rule-Change, the Adopter must post a 
message to the OAML with the subject "Rule [n]" where [n] is the 
number of the Rule amended. The body of this message must be the 
amended text of the rule as specified by the Rule-Change posted to 
the VML.

8. When a Rule-Change can be Defeated, any player may post a message 
to the OAML with the Subject line "Proposal [n] Defeated, where [n] 
is equal to the number assigned to the Rule-Change in question. Once 
a message has been posted to the OAML stating that a Rule-Change has 
been Defeated, that Rule-Change can never be Adopted.

9. No rule-change may take effect earlier than the moment of 
adoption, even if its wording explicitly states otherwise. No rule-
change may have retroactive application.

10. Points are calculated as follows
Players who vote AGAINST winning proposals shall receive 10 points 
each.
When a proposed rule-change is Defeated, the player who proposed it 
loses 10 points.
When a proposed rule-change is Adopted, the player who proposed it 
receives 10 points. 

11. If two or more rules conflict with one another, then the rule 
with the lowest ordinal number takes precedence. If at least one of 
the rules in conflict explicitly says of itself that it defers to 
another rule (or type of rule) or takes precedence over another rule 
(or type of rule), then such provisions shall supersede the numerical 
method for determining precedence. If two or more rules claim to take 
precedence over one another or to defer to one another, then the 
numerical method again governs.

12. If players disagree about the legality of a move or the 
interpretation or application of a rule (disputed action), then any 
player may make an Accusation by posting a message to the OAML with 
the subject line beginning with "Accusation". The body of this 
message must specify the accused player(s) and the action under 
dispute.

For the 7 days following this posting, the accused player(s)
(Defendant) and the accusing player(s)(Plaintiff) are encouraged to 
each make statements to the DML regarding the action taken or their 
interpretation of the rule in question. Other players are encouraged 
to provide their opinions. During this time, the following things 
may occur.

The Defendant()s may post a message to the OAML with the subject 
line "Guilty as Charged". The Defendant(s) immediately lose 10 
points and the disputed action is retracted.

The Plaintiff may post a message to the OAML with the subject 
line "Accusation Retracted". The Plaintiff(s) immediately lose 5 
points.

7 days following the posting of the initial message to the OAML, the 
Plaintiff may post the Accusation to the VML with the subject 
line "Accusation [n]" where [n] is an integer one greater than the 
most recently posted Accusation. For the purpose of voting, an 
accusation is treated identically to a Rule-Change.

If the Accusation is Adopted, then the Defendant loses 25 points, 
and the contested action taken is revoked.
If the Accusation is Defeated, then the Plaintiff loses 25 points. 
The contest action is considered legal and binding.

=========================================================
Posted by Xylen
-- 
Email is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of
contents may have occurred during transmission.