Subject: Ruleset

From: "Oloros the Blue" <oloros@b...>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:38:50 -0000

Rule 0. Definitions

Rule-Changes which amend or repeal this rule cannot be adopted unless
there are FOR votes equal to the number of Active Players

Mailing Lists: There are four Mailing lists that make up the game of
Socialnomic. Changes to the Mailing Lists can only be made when 
sanctioned by the Rules.

Voting Mailing List (VML): [email-masked] This list is
limited to Actions that require Players to place a Vote. This
includes:
Proposals 
Accusations
Voting

Official Action mailing list(AML): Socialnomic-
[email-masked] 
This list is used only for official game actions which do not require
Players to place a Vote. This list is limited to:

Announcement of Proposals
Proposals 
Announcement of Accusations
Accusations 
Announcements of Adoption
GameData

Rules Mailing List(RML or RULES):[email-masked]
This list is limited to the posting of enacted and amended rules and
represents the current Ruleset.

Discussion mailing list(DML): [email-masked]
This list is used for discussion and game related musings. Nothing
posted to the DML has any effect on the game. Examples include, but 
are not limited to: 
Discussions on proposals
General discussion about the game.

Player: A player is someone who is subscribed to the AML, the VML, 
RML, and the DML and who has posted a message to the AML stating 
their name as a Player, and declaring that they will abide by the 
Rules of Socialnomic

Active Player: A player is known as active if they have posted to the
DML during the previous 14 days.

In Stasis Player: A player is known as "In Stasis" if they have not
posted to the DML during the previous 14 days.

RuleSet or Rule-Set: The collection of all rules

RuleChange or Rule-Change: The enactment, repeal, and/or amendment of
one or more rules.

Escape-Hatch: The Players of Socialnomic reserve the right to, by
unanimous or near-unanimous informal decision, amend whatever parts of
the ruleset that, for whatever reason, make the Game unplayable. The
instant this Definition is repealed or modified, the Game restarts
using its starting Ruleset.

==========================================================
Rule 1. 

All players must always abide by all the rules then in effect. 
These rules are found in the archive of messages from the AML with 
the subject line "Rule [n]", where n is the assigned number of the 
rule. If multiple messages exist with identical Subject lines, the 
most recent posting (based on the Archive Date) is the rule in 
effect. If a message with the subject line "Rule [n] Repealed" has an 
archive date which is more recent than a message with the subject 
line "Rule [n]", the original Rule is not in effect.

==========================================================
Rule 2. 

All players may post a Rule-Change to the VML with the subject line
"Proposal [n]" where [n] is an integer one greater than the most
recently posted Rule-Change on the VML. Following the post to the 
VML, A message must be posted to the AML with the subject 
line "Proposal [n] Open for Voting". The body of this message should 
be identical to the message posted to the VML.

A Rule-Change shall be Voted upon if it was Proposed in the manner
described in this Rule. 

==========================================================
Rule 3. 
[repealed]

==========================================================
Rule 4. 
Every player is an eligible voter. Each eligible voter may 
participate in every vote on rule-changes by posting a reply to the 
applicable message on the VML. The body of the reply should be blank 
and the Subject line unchanged except for the addition of the Vote 
word, which should be entirely capitalized.

An example of a proper Vote for a Proposal with subject line
"Proposal [n]" would be "Re: Proposal [n] - VOTE", where VOTE is a
permissible Vote as described in Rule 5. 

==========================================================
Rule 5. 

Each player has a maximum of one vote per proposal. Permissible 
Votes are as follows:
FOR
AGAINST

==========================================================
Rule 6. 

If a Rule-Change is adopted, it shall guide play in the form in which 
it was posted to the VML.

A Rule-change can be Adopted if it satisfies one of the following 
conditions:

The number of Votes FOR the rule-change is greater than the number of 
Active Players divided by Two.

A Rule change can be Defeated if it satisfies one of the following 
conditions:

The number of Votes AGAINST the rule change is greater than or equal 
to the number of Active Players divided by Two.

The Player who proposed the Rulechange has Voted AGAINST, and there 
are as many Votes AGAINST it as there are Votes FOR it. 

==========================================================
Rule 7. 

When a RuleChange can be Adopted, any player (known as the Adopter)
may adopt the proposal by taking the following steps:

1) Post a Reply to the original RuleChange in the VML adding the
phrase "- ADOPTED" to the subject line. The Body of the message should
be empty.

2) Post a message to the AML with the subject line "Proposal [n]
ADOPTED" where [n] is equal to the number assigned to the Rule-Change
in question. The body of this message must list the Total Points of 
all
Players. 

3) For each Rule Enacted by the Rule-Change, the Adopter must post a 
message to the RML with the subject "Rule [n]", where [n] is an 
integer
one greater than the most recently posted Rule on the RML. The body of
this message must be the text of the rule as specified by the
Rule-Change posted to the VML.

4) For each Rule Repealed by the Rule-Change, the Adopter must Reply
to the most recent version of the Rule repealed on the RML add the
phrase "REPEALED". The body of that message must be blank. (Example,
subject line is "Re: Rule 0 REPEALED")

5) For each Rule Amended by the Rule-Change, the Adopter must post a
message to the RML with the subject "Rule [n]" where [n] is the number
of the Rule amended. The body of this message must be the amended text
of the rule as specified by the Rule-Change posted to the VML.

Once a message has been posted to the VML stating that a Rule-Change
has been Adopted, that Rule-Change can never be Defeated

==========================================================
Rule 8. 

When a Rule-Change can be Defeated, any player may defeat the
proposal by taking the following steps:

1) Post a Reply to the original RuleChange in the VML adding the
phrase "- DEFEATED" to the subject line. The Body of the message 
should
be empty.

2) Post a message to the AML with the Subject line "Proposal [n]
Defeated", where [n] is equal to the number assigned to the Rule-
Change
in question. The body of this message must list the Points of all
Players.

Once a message has been posted to the VML stating that a Rule-Change
has been Defeated, that Rule-Change can never be Adopted

==========================================================
Rule 9. 

No rule-change may take effect earlier than the moment of 
adoption, even if its wording explicitly states otherwise. No rule-
change may have retroactive application.

==========================================================
Rule 10. 

Points are Gamedata.

When a Player enters the game, they have 0 Points.

Points can only be gained or lost as specified in the Ruleset.

When a proposed Rule-change is Adopted, the Player who proposed it
gains 10 Points, and all Players who voted AGAINST it receive 10 
Points.

When a proposed Rule-change is Defeated, the Player who proposed it
loses 10 Points.

When a proposed Rule-Change is Adopted, the Adopter may award emself 
3 Points.

When a proposed Rule-Change is Defeated, the Player who administers 
the Defeat may award emself 2 Points. 

==========================================================
Rule 11. 

If two or more rules conflict with one another, then the rule with the
lowest ordinal number takes precedence. If at least one of the rules
in conflict explicitly says of itself that it defers to another rule
(or type of rule) or takes precedence over another rule (or type of
rule), then such provisions shall supersede the numerical method for
determining precedence. If two or more rules claim to take precedence
over one another or to defer to one another, then the numerical 
method
again governs.

==========================================================
Rule 12. 

If players disagree about the legality of a move or the 
interpretation or application of a rule (disputed action), then any 
player may make an Accusation by posting a message to the AML with 
the subject line beginning with "Accusation". The body of this 
message must specify the accused player(s) and the action under 
dispute.

For the 7 days following this posting, the accused player(s)
(Defendant) and the accusing player(s)(Plaintiff) are encouraged to 
each make statements to the DML regarding the action taken or their 
interpretation of the rule in question. Other players are encouraged 
to provide their opinions. During this time, the following things 
may occur.

The Defendant()s may post a message to the AML with the subject 
line "Guilty as Charged". The Defendant(s) immediately lose 10 
points and the disputed action is retracted.

The Plaintiff may post a message to the AML with the subject 
line "Accusation Retracted". The Plaintiff(s) immediately lose 5 
points.

7 days following the posting of the initial message to the AML, the 
Plaintiff may post the Accusation to the VML with the subject 
line "Accusation [n]" where [n] is an integer one greater than the 
most recently posted Accusation. For the purpose of voting, an 
accusation is treated identically to a Rule-Change.

If the Accusation is Adopted, then the Defendant loses 25 points, 
and the contested action taken is revoked.
If the Accusation is Defeated, then the Plaintiff loses 25 points. 
The contest action is considered legal and binding.

==========================================================
Rule 13.

The Alpha Trendsetter may set the Negative In Word by posting a
message to the AML with the Subject Line "Negative In Word" and text
that gives the word and examples of its use.

The Almost Trendsetter may set the Positive In Word by posting a
message to the AML with the Subject Line "Positive In Word" and text
that gives the word and examples of its use.

Any Player who posts a comment to the DML that references a Proposal
currently Open for Voting must use the appropriate In Word to 
summarize
their opinion.

A Player who neglects to use a current In Word loses 1 Social 
Standing.

A Player who instead uses an inappropriate In Word loses and
additional 1 Social Standing.

An In Word may not be changed until 10 days have passed since it was
posted, unless the Trendsetter has changed, in which case the new
Trendsetter may immediately post their new appropriate In Word.

If 15 days have passed since a new In Word has been posted, the
irresponsible Trendsetter loses 2 Social Standing and any Player may
post a new appropriate In Word. The first Player to do so gains 3
Social Standing.

If two or more Players are eligible as Trendsetters to set the same
In Word, the first one to post the new appropriate In Word gains 1
Social Standing. 

==========================================================
Rule 14. 

Points are the fundamental system of currency in Socialnomic.

There exist a form of coins called 2-D. 

There exists several denominations of 2-D coins. Costs for conversions
to other denominations is given in the table below. 

Once a Point has been converted into a coin, it cannot be converted
into a different denomination except as specified by the Rules.

2-D coin cost table
++++++++++++++++++++
2 Points = 1 Line

3 Lines = 1 Triangle
4 Lines = 1 Quadrangle
5 Lines = 1 Pentagon
6 Lines = 1 Hexagon

2 Triangles = 1 Quadrangle
3 Triangles = 1 Pentagon
4 Triangles = 1 Hexagon 

==========================================================