Subject: The sound of money

From: Xylen <mctupper@h...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:37:04 -0600

I have been working on a system to do 'something' with the points that
we will all be accumulating soon. 
======================================
Points are the fundamental system of currency in Socialnomic.

There exist a form of coins called 2-D. 

There exists several denominations of 2-D coins. Costs for
conversions to other denominations is given in the table below. 

Once a Point has been converted into a coin, it cannot be converted
into a different coin except as specified by the Rules. 

2-D coin price table
___________________
2 Points = 1 Line
3 Points = 1 Triangle
4 Points = 1 Square
5 Points = 1 Pentagon
6 Points = 1 Hexagon
____________________
3 Lines = 1 Triangle
4 Lines = 1 Square
5 Lines = 1 Pentagon
6 Lines = 1 Hexagon
____________________
4 Triangles = 1 Square
5 Triangles = 1 Pentagon
6 Triangles = 1 Hexagon
_____________________
==========================================
Let me give an example of how I want this to work.

I have 10 Points. I have the following options for purchase with my Points.

A.	5 Lines
B.	3 Triangles and 1 Point
C.	1 Square and 1 Hexagon
D.	2 Squares and 1 Line
...and so on. 

So I purchase 3 Triangles and have one Point left over. Now during
some sub-game I need a Pentagon, but I don't have one, and I don't have
enough points left to get a Pentagon. But if I had bought 5 Lines, then
I could convert them into a Pentagon. I don't even have enough
Triangles to buy a Square. :( 

This system is meant to be a starting point for various sub-games as
well as keeping Point inflation under control. Players will have to be
careful with thier purchases. In my example, I could have bought 2
Pentagons orginally with my 10 Points, but I made the wrong decision.
If I had bought 5 lines to start with, I could buy 1 Pentagon
later. (Total cost at that time would be 10 points for the Pentagon!)

I hope I have made myself clear on what I want. some parts of this
don't sound right to me, so I would appreciate any comments.

Xylen
-- 
Email is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of
contents may have occurred during transmission.

---

From: "Dan Marsh (aka 'The Governor')" <dmarsh@v...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 16:25:25 -0400

Xylen wrote:system of currency in Socialnomic.

> 4 Triangles = 1 Square

Geometrically speaking, you should probably use "rectangle," not square; a
square is just a special case of a rectangle. (You didn't say, for example, "5
lines = 1 regular pentagon.") And two triangles can be used to make a square
or rectangle.

I'm leaning forward in my seat to see what sub-game will use all of these
geometrical figures!

---

From: "Oloros the Blue" <oloros@b...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 20:22:05 -0000

> into a different coin except as specified by the Rules. 
These are the two trenchant points of the currency system under 
discussion that will curb inflation; and make each Polygon inherently 
valuable, rather than valuable only as change; and thereby, make it 
seem to us, as Players, that we never, ever have enough of the right 
kind of money, perhaps forcing us to negotiate and make disvalued 
trades. 

The problem will be encouraging Players, whether by system or 
mechanic, to invest their Points into Polygons rather than hold them 
until it is necessary. Some suggestions:
Since the Adopter posts the names and Points of all Players, it 
might be appropriate to state that a Player has [x] days to convert 
their Points to Polygons, and put the onus on subsequent Adopters to 
dock Points from those Players who have not done so.
Or, a seperate shared-function, the Accountant, could be created. 
The Adopter could be limited to reporting points-change after each 
Proposal is Adopted or Defeater; the Accountant submits a seperate 
message detailing the Points and Polygons of each Player as they 
expire.
Or, Points remain in the background as a basis for exchange, and 
Polygons are directly rewarded or fined to the Proposer for the 
number of Votes by which a Proposal passes or fails, sides=votes. 

Any transaction of Points or Polygons should be reported in a 
message, and to keep things up to date, perhaps every such message 
should include the standings of every Player. Difficult. Maybe we all 
have to sig our posts with our balance.

Now, if Polygons cannot be broken into Points, can they be broken 
into Lines, or Polygons of fewer sides? I take my 2 Squares (8 
Lines), break them into 8 Triangles (24 Lines), assemble 1 Hexagon 
leave 2 Triangles (12 Lines).

---

From: Xylen <mctupper@h...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:30:20 -0600

> lines = 1 regular pentagon.") And two triangles can be used to make a square

I think I should include the fact that I am talking about regular
Polygons, ie. equal length sides and equal interior angles. In that
case I need to remove Triangles--> Squares and Triangles-->Pentagons.
that just keeps things simplier and a bit more elegant.

Regarding Oloros comments, Once you buy a Polygon, you are stuck with
it. Polygons cannot be broken down into their component parts. I see
Polygons as an industructable item. Now if a player is willing to
exchange 5 points for your nice shiny new Pentagon, and you really want
the Points, that should be allowed. Private trades can be made, but
they will probaly be at a higher price than the 'Blue Book' value.

Perhaps we do need an Officer of Geometry to track Polygons. Such a
person would be responsible for posting each Players account to the AML 
as transactions are made. The Proposer would only need to record the
change in points from a proposals passage or defeat.

To encourage Players to buy Polygons:
An extra AGAINST vote---1 Square
The possesor of a dodecahedron is declared Emporer (3-D version only)
Social Standing is increased 1 rank--1 Pentagon
A sub game of some sorts---I'll work on that tonight

Xylen