Subject: Notes on my recent voting.

From: topheavy@s...
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:37:30 -0000

Well, just thought i would offer a reason for Voting against the PASS 
vote...

I don't think it is necessary, and unfortunately I missed out (being 
not around last week) on the opportunity to vote against the penalty 
for not voting on a proposal. I feel that the opportunity to not 
vote (or hold off on voting) on specific proposals is a key part of 
this nomic, and i would be sad to see it pass away.

My thought is that not voting is a perfectly reasonable way to delay 
a proposal that a player is unsure about. Often i want to delay my 
vote to see what other players do, a pass vote is effectively giving 
up the opportunity to influence the results of a vote.

Even worse, a pass vote can result in a permanent stalemate.

With our current players, one pass, two FOR, and one against will 
cause a proposal to never be adopted or defeated. If that PASS vote 
had not been cast, the three players could call for the recalcitrent 
voter to decide the issue. An additional rule could place a method 
to do this. 

I will try to get around to drafting a proposal which will do this, 
and also eliminate the penalty for not voting on an proposal. After 
all, why should you penalize someone for not voting on something that 
could be decided without them?

-topheavy

---

From: "Oloros the Blue" <oloros@l...>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 23:21:46 -0000

--- In [email-masked], wrote:
> 
> My thought is that not voting is a perfectly 
> reasonable way to delay a proposal that a player 
> is unsure about. Often i want to delay my vote 
> to see what other players do, a pass vote is 
> effectively giving up the opportunity to influence
> the results of a vote.
> 
Would anyone consider a changable Vote of DELAY, perhaps?

I notice that we seem to have a distinct lack of proposal discussion 
before rulechanges are posted to VML. Some discussion after the Vote, 
but often requiring a direct call-out. 

Not sure what this means, but I am certain that there is less ferment 
on the list than there was when we were drafting out the initial 
ruleset.

-Oloros