Subject: Proposal Numbers

From: "Dan Marsh (aka 'The Governor')" <dmarsh@v...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:13:40 -0400

I notice you're running into problems with proposal numbers.  It doesn't
have to be so--you could submit proposals willy-nilly if you're willing
to forego how they rate consecutively.

From the current ruleset of "GNomic":

proposals.numbers (Steadiness: 1)

Each proposal shall have a unique identifier.  This identifier
shall consist of two words separated by a dot (period).  The first
word shall be unique to each player, and shall be the same on all proposals
made by any one player.  Both words shall consist only of lower- and
upper-case roman letters and arabic digits.

In practice, we're submitting eg "marsh.10" or "zagarna.5," but there's
nothing preventing a prop number from signifying what it's about, eg "marsh.fixCFJloophole."

With something like that, you oughtn't run into the problems you're
having with keeping up with what proposals have already been made.

I should probably say, this wasn't my idea, although this rule now bears
my name.  But it's one I kind of like, because we're trying not to
be speaker-dependent, either.