Subject: What grows?

From: pulp@W...
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 22:20:01 -0000

Howdo. Checking through the Nomic Database, rode the links to this 
here place. Curious as to if Socialnomic or its spawn is facing a 
genuine ressurection in the near future.

I know-ish GT and Oloros from Genomic (I'm Pulp), and I'm starting to 
suspect that there are really only about two dozen Nomic players in 
the world. ;) 

Be glad to hear if something is in the works.

Pulp,
for lack of a better handle

---

From: Gallivanting Tripper <s3036845@s...>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 15:05:52 +1100

>genuine ressurection in the near future.

Well the original players certainly hope it will, although early next year
is probably the most optimistic time. Of course, if 5 or so new interested
players chirp up, Xylen may wish to start'er up early.

>suspect that there are really only about two dozen Nomic players in

And only about half a dozen games active at the moment. Why doesn't the
NND show the alive/dead status at it's table of contents?? It _is_ rather
frustrating!

>Be glad to hear if something is in the works.

The ultimate problem with this rather utopian game was that due to lack of
web-based archiving it was nigh impossible for new players to join, and so
the game eventually died for lack of interest.

>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>[email-masked]

---

From: Xylen <mctupper@h...>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 01:48:41 -0700

> players chirp up, Xylen may wish to start'er up early.

If we can get 5 players, who have net access, remain in the game for
more than two months, and have never played Agora, I would expect to see
pigs flying. :) Unfortunetly, I will be losing net access in
mid-December, and I'm not sure how sonn I will be back online. Hopefully
by mid-January. 
> 
> >I know-ish GT and Oloros from Genomic (I'm Pulp),

The same Pulp that was my favorite meal? The founder of Pulism and our
religous icon?

> > and I'm starting to
If you check closely, you will find two types of players. Deadly-serious
nitpickers, and people who just play for fun. I know Beserker has been
resurrected, but they are still arguing (discussing) the initial rules. 

> NND show the alive/dead status at it's table of contents?? It _is_ rather

Of course, if a game dies, no one wants to take the time to make the
changes in the listing. That reminds me, I really should update
SocialNomics entry.

> the game eventually died for lack of interest.

Archiving wasn't the problem. "Useable" archiving was the problem. It
was all there, but it was hard to work with. Oloros had suggested a
system (check out http://www.everything2.com ) that we could use that
would make things easier. Similar to a bulletin board, but with much
more flexibility. If I can get it to compile, I m going to try and get
it on a server so we can run a game using it. ("source code available" =
"It works for us. What's your problem?")

We could make the lists 'open' to everybody, but then we are subject to
posts of SPAM. Maybe we could give out points to creative SPAM? FRC
actually had a round where a SPAM message slipped thru the filters. It
was judeged and got several points. Later, the players made up thier own
SPAM round.

Xylen

---

From: rsholmes@m...
Date: 31 Oct 2000 10:05:55 -0500

WPI, eh? I graduated from there myself. A long time ago. A long,
LONG time ago... Not a member of WPISFS, are you?

> resurrected, but they are still arguing (discussing) the initial rules. 

Speaking of such, a bulletin board based Nomic is starting up at
<http://www.nomic.net/~g2/cgi-bin/g2.pl>. Given that only four people
are playing so far, and five votes (of which at least three must be in
favor) are needed to pass a proposal, I'd say it could use a few new
players... 

> changes in the listing. That reminds me, I really should update

I was just there a few minutes ago. Someone (you, just now?)
prepended the following to the description:

The first instance of SocialNomic had its last Judgement on October
5, 2000, and is looking to restart up soon. New Players most
welcome - you will become a Debutante and start on top of the
Social Ladder.

Status is "Starting up". 

Yeah, the lack of status information on the NND table of contents as
well as the unreliability of the status information really cripples
the usefulness of the NND. I do have NetMind telling me when the NND
front page changes, though, so I hear about it when a new Nomic is
added...

> "It works for us. What's your problem?")

I looked at everything and wasn't particularly impressed. Not as
impressed as they are with themselves, anyway. That plus the
eye-crossing microscopic font size, at least as it renders on my
system, kept me from hanging around much. Maybe there are some really
neat features that'd benefit SocialNomic II, but I didn't see any
such.

> posts of SPAM. 

Why? What benefit is there in allowing non-members to post?

On the other hand, I think there'd be great benefit in allowing
non-members to read the archives. I see they still can't. Why? 

> Maybe we could give out points to creative SPAM? FRC

God, don't remind me.

-- 
Doctroid