Subject: Why

From: Xylen <mctupper@h...>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 12:57:38 -0600

I wish to explain my reason for voting against prop 54. Although, it
would be nice to have everybody vote on every proposal, that is not
always possible. Loss of ISP connections, vacations, power
outages, and any other reason could prevent a player from voting. It
may be sometime before a player can get access to vote on things. The
lack of a time limit is the most disturbing part of this proposal.
However, even with a time limit, I would vote against it. Time limits
would just put us back into a regulated turn-based system. 

Additionally, players may not vote becasuse they are unwilling to make
a definte stand on an issue. That is the reason for allowing PASS
votes. At least we would be able to hear the opinion of a player,
without forcing them to take stand one way or the other. I think that
may help some of the open proposals. 

If Erasing is adopted, the old proposals can be removed if the author
feels there is a lack of interest. Between the Pass and the Erasing
proposals, I don't think that we need to punish players for not voting.

Xylen,
Pariah
-- 
Hardware: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked

---

From: "Oloros the Blue" <oloros@b...>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 20:03:08 -0000

> [Xylen]
> always possible. 
True enough. And the allowance of a Vote of PASS (c.f. Prop 49, which 
is a most oomny suggestion) would make it easier to abstain from 
voting and not be penalized.

I agree that there should be a clause as to when or how the penalty 
is levied. "At the time of Adoption..." or "The Adopter shall, as 
his/her civic duty, fine any Player..." poor writing on my part. (And 
enough to make me feel that it is not so oomny a proposal.)

As carrot or stick, the fine is small. Smaller even than the share 
the Player who defeats a Proposal receives. 

And Points, positive and negative, are removed by the Taxman on a 
nearly weekly basis.

If I have possibly convinced you, I should like to submit this idea 
again as a proposal.

-Oloros

---

From: Xylen <mctupper@h...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 00:56:05 -0600

> enough to make me feel that it is not so oomny a proposal.)

We really need that negative In word. 'Not oomy' just doesn't have a
good ring to it. 

Anyway, if you add the clause "At the time of Adoption the Adopter
shall fine any player...." Then I would vote for it. Still, it does
seem to penalize players who miss a few days, but as you said, the
penalty is not that bad.

Xylen,
A Pariah waiting for a Party so I can crash it. <G>