Subject: Flawed jewels

From: "Doctroid " <hrholmes@m...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:58:41 -0000

Ordinarily I would not act so precipitously, but as a lover of
mathematical beauty, I felt I had to do so. Proposal 62, like many a
fine diamond, is rooted by a small flaw, namely, the inclusion of
tesseracts in its list of "3D" objects. The proposer acknowledges its
inappropriateness but offers no justification for their inclusion. I
have therefore submitted a proposal, contingent on the defeat of 62,
which limits the jewels to the five Platonic solids that Nature
herself has decreed shall be the complete set. 

No reason other than a desire to avoid complexity exists not to bestow
tesseracts upon ourselves, of course, but if we choose to do so, let
us recognize them for the 4D objects they are, to be bought for the
price of eight Cubes, and let us accompany them with the other
Platonic hypersolids.

As a bit of lagniappe, this proposal also specifies compact notation
for coin and jewel collections, sorely needed if player status lists
are not to swell to 150 or more characters in width.

- D

---

From: "Oloros the Blue" <oloros@l...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 19:42:40 -0000

Welcome, Doctroid.

A most ommny proposal on 3-D currencies. Thank you for clearing out 
that stray 4-D object. But I still am against the rooted section of 
that proposal that discloses award for the wearing of jewels. 

I shall take action on that today, I hope.

-Oloros

---

From: Gallivanting Tripper <s3036845@s...>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 17:34:11 +1000

>that proposal that discloses award for the wearing of jewels.

Well I would ask what's the point of converting large swathes of currency
into something without obvious use? I'd thought of using them for
"magical" effects but couldn't come up with anything decent, and wearing
jewels to black tie functions just seemed to fit. It will also tie in well
with the partnering effects described in Proposal 63 - I can imagine Males
trying to bribe Females with Jewels in order to accompany them to
functions, for example...

However after reading the proposed streamlining of coins and jewels, I'm
still of the opinion that a simple table would be better. So I shall be
Voting against P69 out of rooted pique.

GT