Subject: Rambling notes

From: Xylen <mctupper@h...>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 21:17:57 -0600

There has been a lot of activity lately, on various matters in
Socialnomic, so I figured I would post all of my comments at once.

Regarding Accusations, they should be regarded as serious matters. The
fear of being accused of wrong doing makes us think twice about our
actions. But some players seem to be a bit more upset than is needed.
Remember, an Accusation is merely notice that a vote _may_ be called
for. The Accusation serves as a wake-up call to something that needs
immediate attention. As far as I can remember, out of all of the
Accusations made, none have been called to a vote. Players see the
problem, fix it, and then there is no need for a vote. Now if the
matter remains unsolved and a vote is called for, then players need to
consider matters carefully before voting, but unless someone is being
really stubborn, I don't see a need for the vote. We are all reasonable
people. 

Considering that the latest Accusation was on deleting of posts, here
is my opinion. With the ability to Retract proposals, we can remove
them from vote consideration. So if I make a proposal or two, then
suddenly realize that one of them was flawed, I simply Retract that
one, make the changes to it, and submit it as a new proposal. The
flawed proposal still is in the archives, and any votes for it are
ignored, while the actual proposal is also posted and waiting for
votes. As people have noticed, when a message is deleted, any
replies to it are threaded onto the previous message. That gets icky,
so it seems to be better to Retract and re-propose than delete.

Now for Ruleset compilations. Until Rule 28, there was no specification
on the compendium. Having a compendium is very useful, so I'm glad that
something official has been done about it. Personally, I fell the
compendium should be in the RULES list. The definition for the RML
(Rule 0) talks about enacted and amended rules, but does not specify
that they must be post individually. I interpret the definition to mean
that only Rules can be posted, and since the Compendium is composed of
only Rules, thus there shouldn't be a problem with posting it to the
RML. By Rule 1, Rules can be found in the RML, but that rule doesn't
specify what else may also be found in the RML. Furthermore, for a
new player or an old one, it simply makes more sense to find the Rules
in the RML archive, irregardless of the format that the Rules are in.

Okay, enough ranting for now. Hopefully I will be able to participate
more fully in the near future. I still control the Guillotine, and I
have a few ideas on Institutions, as well as possible resurrecting the
Social Scene.

Xylen,
Pariah, Controller of the Guillotine, and Seeker of even more titles
that make no difference at all. :)

-- 
Hardware: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked