Subject: Re: Accusation against Oloros and Tripper

From: Gallivanting Tripper <s3036845@s...>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 15:21:43 -0700

Well this is a curly one.

The current definition of an illegal action is one that is not posted as
exlicitly specified in the ruleset.

What oloros has done is _not_ posted an action as specified by rule 7

But there's nothing in rule 7 to say that all the posts have to be made _in
order_

Furthermore, since oloros' posting of the new rule was done as specified by
rule 7, the rule itself is also legal.. Does this set a precedent for not
needing to post notices to the AML or VML????

Interestingly enough, there's nothing to say that a rule-change can't be
adopted several times, so Xylen hasn't done anything illegal either.......

Seems like a big fix is in order

As for my Taxing based on Oloros's posting of game data, the fact that the
data may have been illegal doesn't make the taxation illegal, rather it is
the job of the Adopter of the accusation to unravel the effects of the
illegal action on game data. So you can't pin that rap on me.

GT

---

From: "Oloros the Blue" <oloros@l...>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 23:55:49 -0000

What a mess.

I begin to think that the line in Rule 12 "Accusations" that allows 
more than ne Player to be the target of an Accusation ought to be 
removed, so as to allow only a single Player's action to be targeted 
by an Accusation. In this case, it would be along the lines of: 
Accusation One: Oloros is charged of wrongfully Adopting a Proposal; 
Accusation Two: GT is charged in initiating Taxation based on 
incorrect GameData. It makes it clear that GT himself has not 
anything terrible, just neglected to check the veracity of the data 
supplied.

Again, as I stated earlier, I believe that the Accuser holds the onus 
of correction of GameData. 

-Oloros

---

From: rsholmes@m...
Date: 07 Sep 2000 10:00:58 -0400

"Oloros the Blue" <oloros@l...> writes:

> by an Accusation. 

Actually, by my reading only a single player can actually be Accused
anyway -- and only a single player can Accuse.

Rule 12 says:

An Action is defined as the posting of a message to, or deletion of
a message from, the VML, AML or RML. 

Which means only one Player can commit an illegal Action, since an
Action is the posting or deletion of a single message.

If players disagree about the legality of an Action, then any player
may make an Accusation by posting a message to the AML with the
subject line beginning with "Accusation". The body of this message
must specify the accused player(s) and the action under dispute.

Again, since an Accusation is made by posting a message, only a single
Player can make an Accusation. Furthermore, here and elsewhere Rule
12 refers to "the Action" implying only one Action may be challenged
per Accusation.

So despite the above reference to "player(s)" and later references in
the rule to the "Plaintiff(s)" and "Defendant(s)", really for any
Accusation there may be only one Plaintiff, one Defendant, and one
Action.

That mostly expeditious P94 does away with the "(s)"s, though.

-- 
Doctroid