Subject: Institutions

From: Xylen <mctupper@h...>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 15:44:22 -0600

Just a few random thoughts on possible uses for Institutions

Banks, credit agencies, or even insurance.--To provide loans,
savings accounts, or monetary protection for events

Gambling Comission--To control gambling and other games where currency
is transferred

Newspaper/magazine--deals with the announcements, publications and
publicity

Police/Fire--raids on 'bad' parties or protection against theft/fire

Churches--Maybe re-create the Genomic type of religion or
something similar

Depending on how this game proceeds, the proposal will allow a large
variety of such institutions that may prove useful in the future. Of
course, even if we want to go more with the 'communist' theme, the
institution will be different. My examples above are based on a
'society' type theme.

Xylen,
Pariah of Socialnomic

-- 
How many programmers does it take to debug an AI? Just one,but the program has to really, really want to change.

---

From: "Gallivanting Tripper" <s3036845@s...>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:03:33 -0000

A most Oomny idea, and one with the flexibility to encompass Winking 
and other assorted subgames.

e.g. set up an Institution known as the Logic Challenge Club, to
which 
Players/Persons can pay money for the chance of the total Prize

If this gets through, I have a few ideas for core Institutions that 
have extra powers (ie require extra Rules)

* Charity - an Institution that accepts donations, gives them out to 
the Poor, and awards Social Standing to the donor

* The State - an Institution that collects Tax, and perhaps runs a 
State Lottery with the proceeds 

I would also like to see some Institutions approach the status of 
Persons/Players, i.e. have Voting rights, Social Standing, and the 
ability to attend Parties.

PS I think that this game needs a few more Players to carry on its 
critical mass. I suggest that as soon as I enact the Naming 
conventions (shortly) I shall post an publicity stunt to the Nomic 
Bulletin Board, and Net Nomic Database, as previously discussed.

Cheers,

GT

---

From: Xylen <mctupper@h...>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 10:30:35 -0600

> Bulletin Board, and Net Nomic Database, as previously discussed.

I think your right. This past week was rather slow. Even the Govenor
has been silent. We seem to be running out of ideas. A few more players
could really make things interesting. It is always a bit slow during
the summer for nomics, but if we can get a few more people involved in
the game now, it will be strong enough to handle the influx of new
players that will arrive in the fall. 

Pariah
-- 
How many programmers does it take to debug an AI? Just one, but the
program has to really, really want to change.