Subject: Rule 0 with modifications

From: Xylen <mctupper@h...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 14:06:14 -0600

I have made some of the suggested changes to this rule. Note the
definition of Mailing List. With this description in place, we can
start the game and still make changes to the Mailing Lists if everyone
agrees. GameData has been added to the AML, but is not currently
defined. Also Proposal and Accusations have been added to the AML. 

Are there any other problems, or any new ones?

====================================

0. Definitions

Rule-Changes which amend or repeal this rule cannot be adopted unless
there are FOR votes equal to the number of Active Players

Mailing Lists: There are four Mailing lists that make up the game of
Socialnomic. Changes to the Mailing Lists can only be when
sanctioned by the Rules

Voting Mailing List (VML): [email-masked] This list is
limited to Actions that require Players to place a Vote. This includes:
Proposals 
Accusations
Voting

Official Action mailing list(OAML or AML): [email-masked] 
This list is used only for official game actions which do not require
Players to place a Vote. This list is limited to:

Announcement of Proposals
Proposals 
Announcement of Accusations
Accusations 
Announcements of Adoption
GameData

Rules Mailing List(RML or RULES):[email-masked]
This list is limited to the posting of enacted and amended rules and
represents the current Ruleset.

Discussion mailing list(DML): [email-masked]
This list is used for discussion and game related musings. Nothing
posted to the DML has any effect on the game. Examples include, but are
not limited to: 
Discussions on proposals
General discussion about the game.

Player: A player is someone who is subscribed to the OAML, the VML, RML,
and the DML.

Active Player: A player is known as active if they have posted to the
DML during the previous 14 days.

In Stasis Player: A player is known as "In Stasis" if they have not
posted to the DML during the previous 14 days.

RuleSet or Rule-Set: The collection of all rules

RuleChange or Rule-Change: The enactment, repeal, and/or amendment of
one or more rules.

Escape-Hatch: The Players of Socialnomic reserve the right to, by
unanimous or near-unanimous informal decision, amend whatever parts of
the ruleset that, for whatever reason, make the Game unplayable. The
instant this Definition is repealed or modified, the Game restarts
using its starting Ruleset.
=============================================

Xylen

-- Email is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling
of contents may have occurred during transmission.

---

From: "Oloros the Blue" <oloros@b...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 21:03:10 -0000

Nice changes.
It kind of pushes that "near-unanimous informal decision" bit, 
though. I thought that Gallavanting Tripper and TopHeavy both would 
have sounded in by now.

---

From: Xylen <mctupper@h...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 15:03:47 -0600

> though. I thought that Gallavanting Tripper and TopHeavy both would 

I have been worried about that as well. That is why I just posted
Rule 0 to the DML. I don't want to go thru and publish each rule on
it's own to the RULES list until we hear from the others. I hope they
are just busy and not having problems with the mailing lists.

Btw, what does constitute 'near-unanimous' with four players?

Xylen
-- 
Email is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of
contents may have occurred during transmission.

---

From: topheavy@s...
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:27:52 -0000

Yep. I am here, catching up on all the action of the past 4 days 
while trying to actually accomplish that stuff known as "work".

The Ruleset is looking good, so i'm hoping we get some players 
besides ourselves.

As a fiddly note, we probably shouldn't refer to the the Official 
Action mailing list as the "OAML or the AML" let's just pick one and 
stick with it. AML is shorter, and official probably implied.

The observer idea seems like it is already taken care of. If you 
don't subscribe to the VML, you can't vote and you aren't considered 
a player.

otherwise, it seems like Xylen has the most recently updated starting 
ruleset.. could you post it to this list so we can all review it for 
typos or leftovers from prior versions that need to be updated?

When do we want to "activate" the game?

-Topheavy

---

From: "Oloros the Blue" <oloros@b...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:41:21 -0000

> When do we want to "activate" the game?
I'd like to give it until the end of the week to shake down final 
changes in the starting ruleset.

---

From: Gallivanting Tripper <s3036845@s...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:47:47 +1000

Hello

GT here

listening intently, but busy with work stuff

Oh, and I think that Socialnomic has in fact willed itself into existence
after the posting of the ruleset, so any tweaking now should be done by
proper Proposals.

And "near-unanimous" is just to stop one or two dickheads being - er -
dickheads.

Later

GT