Subject: Proposal 109 - Sleepers, Wake!

From: Gallivanting Tripper <s3036845@s...>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:45:17 +0100

Enact a new Rule, entitled "Judgement Day"

A great Cataclysm approaches, when all Players and their Worldly Goods are
held to reckoning. During the Apocalypse, the following events will occor,
in order.

* All Institutions that were created by a Player transfers all their Points
and Coins to the Player that created them
* All Jewels possessed by Players melt down into their component 2-D coins,
in the opposite manner to that described in Rule 26
* All 2-D coins possessed by Players melt down into their component Points,
in the opposite manner to that described in Rule 14
* The State and the DoJ transfer their Points to Players in the following
manner:
-> 1/2 of their Points to the Player with the least Points
-> 1/2 of the remainder to the Player with the second-lowest Points
-> and so on.
* At the end of the Judgement, the Player with the highest Points is known
as the Alpha, and the Player with the lowest Points is known as the Omega.
If two or more Players are tied for either Title, the Player with the most
ADOPTED Proposals takes the title. If the tie is not broken, the Player
with the longest membership of SocialNomic takes the title.

Judgement Day is the 5th of October 2000. At any time after 1200 GMT on
that date, one Player may make a post the to AML with the subject line
"Judgement Day" and the text describing the effects of the Judgement.

* The duties of the Alpha are as follows:
-> To compile a History of SocialNomic, and distribute it to as
many active Nomics as possible, and the Nomic Bulletin Board
-> To interview existing Players of SocialNomic about the pros and
cons of this style of Nomic
-> To interview Players of other Nomic about the pros and cons of
this style of Nomic, and
-> Submit a conclusion to the Omega
* The priveliges of the Omega are to restart the game as follows:
-> After reading the conclusions of the Alpha, to repeal and/or
amend as many Rules of SocialNomic as they see fit by making the appropiate
posts to the RML
-> To amend Game Data as they see fit by making a post to the AML

Enact a new Rule, entitled "The last days"

In order to prevent Corruption, the following restriction comes into force
during the last days.

Players may not make transfers of Points or coins to Institutions that are
not specifically authorised by the Charter of the Institution, or the Rules
if the Institution was created by a Rule.

---

From: "TopHeavy (A. Lawn)" <topheavy@s...>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 17:21:36 -0000

Well, it does look like it has come to this...

with oloros's vote for, as well as mine, and the fact that GT wrote 
the proposal, it looks like we will be closing up shop for a little 
while at least. Though i do believe that since Prop 109 has the 
potential to modify Rule 0, that it requires unanimous approval to be 
adopted... argue with me if you like.

Oloros's imminent departure, as well as an upcoming lessening of my 
own online access (you can thank the great gods of "RightSizing" for 
that) seem to require some sort of evolution.

Of course we could always celebrate the fact that our first game 
managed to outlast unanomic (http://www.ravenblack.net/~unanomic/) 
and they stopped because the moderater decided he was sick of it.
tee hee.

I do think that we should attempt some sort of analysis of our rules 
though.. and i will start off..

I really like the social pages idea.
Unfortunately, i don't think we achieved critical mass for a 
successful implementation of the idea. I think far too many of our 
rules were made with the hopes that we would have about 10 players.

Which results in good rules becoming bad rules (good and bad being 
purely opinions of course) because they cannot reach the potential 
that we see.

I also believe that while the "Runner" subgame was interesting in 
theory, the lack of a maintained ruleset made implementation of the 
game itself hard... basically players were required to make their own 
maps of the ruleset. Although i kept a personal ruleset compendium, 
i never did get around to mapping the various owners or potential 
transport tubes.. the result being that i never moved my runner...

Perhaps if their had been a duty/reward for posting the "map" of the 
ruleset?

i guess i have more thoughts, but i just want to see if anyone is 
interested in a discussion...

-topheavy

---

From: "Oloros the Blue" <oloros@l...>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:41:26 -0000

> [TopHeavy]
> I do think that we should attempt some sort of analysis of 
> our rules though.. 
> 
I agree with TopHeavy that the upkeep of the gameboard of the Runner 
subgame should have been incentivized along the line of the Ruleset 
Compendium. I have noticed that othernomics stamp rules with the date 
and player who is responsible for the last change. That sort of 
record would have made the Runner subgame easier to manage as well.

I also agree with the analysis that we did not achieve a critical 
mass for the game. It would seem that a healthy nomic needs some 7 
players. Perhaps the recruitment bonuses should have been implemented 
earlier in the game. The Social Engagements subgame did require a 
larger player base than we had. And Trifield would have been more fun 
with more gamblers as well.

-Oloros

---

From: Xylen <mctupper@h...>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 21:03:34 -0600

> adopted... argue with me if you like.

Not much reason to argue. Of course if nobody is playing the game, it
doesn't really matter, I guess. For myself, I have plenty of time on
the computer, but little of it is internet. A few more months, and I'll
be looking forward to no more homework.

> and they stopped because the moderater decided he was sick of it.

That brings up a point. People like playing nomics with all of the
bells and whistles, as long as they don't have to do the work,
Unfortunetly they are missing the best part. I really enjoyed this
game because I had a real role in it. Not just playing it, but an
actual part of it. That is something that can't be found in most
moderated Imperial nomics.

> though.. and i will start off..

For the most part, our rules follwed the usual development cycle.
Everybody tries to come up with some real spiffy sub-game, then the
players decided which one (or more) will become part of the game. If
nothing shows up that can catch eveeryones attention, the players lose
interest and the game dies out. Even when a sub-game is found, if it is
too hard to operate, or too difficult to undedrstand, or turns out to
not be so engaging, the nomic dies. 

We had the social pages, which would have worked better with more
players. Simply to work with, but lacking in interest without enough
people to make it worthwhile. The various wagering games were
interesting, but again lack of players prevented them from really become
entertaining. I will admit, that the Stairmaster was a bit complicated
to track, so I never bothered with it. Trifeld sound liked fun, but I
lacked the resources to participate. 

I think the best thing we had going for us was the involvement of every
player. The game was "ours", We started it, we maintained it and we
played it. No one to tell us that it was too hard to implement
somthing, or waiting for voting results until someone gets around to
figuring it all out. We should all give ourselves a big pat on the
back. We did it, _and_ we outlasted the other games.

As far as the future, perhaps the next few months will be a bit slow,
but perhaps we can restart the game later, probaly after the first of
the year, judging from everyones current plans. Maybe we can even come
up with ideas that will work with fewer players, or else have a big
membership drive before we start.

Xylen

-- 
Hardware: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked