Subject: allegations are against the ruleset

From: "Oloros the Blue" <oloros@b...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 15:42:46 -0000

The allegations of Xylen are ones directed against the Rulset itself, 
and not the fault of any single Player. At this point, it may be a 
simple thing to scuttle the ship and launch it again. With a more 
developed Ruleset, however, it would be difficult to lose the 
accumulated material. It seems to me that we need a means of 
resolving such matters that is consistant with the Ruleset, yet not 
vulnerable to accidental modification, and thorough enough to 
function under a highly reduced core Ruleset. And also gets the game 
started again as quickly as possible. And prevents the abuse of 
itself by Players who might Cry Wolf or have More Sinister Desires.

I do not think that the following is anything near votable form. I 
present it for your consideration:

If an Active Player has grave concerns about the ability of the 
Ruleset to administer the nomic, that Player may post a message to 
the VML and AML with the subject line "Stop the Presses!", and text 
that specifies the nature of the Ruleset crisis, and the steps that 
that Player will take to resolve the issue. This message may be 
referred to as a Stop Order, and the Player who posts it Overcautious.

The Stop Order must be seconded by three other Active Players within 
24 hours of its posting, by posting replies to the VML. The third 
Player to agree to the Stop Order must post to the VML, AML, and DML 
a message with subject line "Emergency Blackout". From the time of 
that posting, there will fall a 36 hour period, during which time no 
Voting may occur and no Rulechanges may be Adopted or Defeated. 

By the end of the Blackout, the Overcautious Player must post to the 
VML and AML a solution to the Ruleset crisis. This is a special 
Rulechange that may be Voted upon only by those three Players who 
seconded the Stop Order. If it is agreed to, the Overcautious Player 
may implement the solution they have written.

If, after the end of the Emergency Blackout, the Overcautious Player 
cannot supply information that resolves the issue, that Player will 
lose all Currency and have Social Standing set to -5.

If this Rulechange is Adopted, it will be modifiable only by a 
proposal that passes with Votes of unanimity-minus-one or unanimity.