Subject: ABNPROP2

From: smartgamer <sgamer@s...>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 07:48:33 -0500

Our Nomic is definitely slowing down. We have to make something happen. I
plan on writing the following proposition; I'm trying to find two people to
support this under "SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL LOBBYIST."

Next Rule:

AND SO IT BEGINS

Our Nomic, to this point, has been a framework- very interesting things, but
no real game driving it. This rule has been created to remedy that
situation.

Rule text below:

"An entity is now being defined as 'THE BOARD.' THE BOARD is a path, with an
initial length equal to five times the number of players. If all spaces on
The Board are defined, IGNORE this passage contained in stars: *Each player,
in turn, decides what symbol is next on the Board: a +, a -, an =, or a ?.
Players will be told that: Landing on a + gives you two game points and
allies you with team one; landing on a - costs you two points and you are
allied with team two; an = does nothing to your score, and your alliance is
determined at random; a ? can do any of the three, at random, with equal
odds.*
If there are Minigames defined in every set (see below), each player is
placed at the beginning of The Board, and rolls a die with a value of 1-5.
This player moves that number of spaces, and the event occurs such that
landing on a + gives you two game points and allies you with team one;
landing on a - costs you two points and you are allied with team two; an =
does nothing to your score, and your alliance is determined at random; a ?
can do any of the three, at random, with equal odds. All players are moved
at the same time. (If choices become available in the move, then this may
change. Currently, however, movement is random, so it makes no difference.)
After players are moved and teams are formed, a Minigame is played. A
Minigame is a rule with a value ranging from 700-1000; rules within the
Minigame Range are ignored until called upon as a Minigame. When a Minigame
is needed, then a possible Minigame is randomly selected from all applicable
Minigames. This Minigame is played. If only one team has members in it, the
Minigame is from 801-900; otherwise, it's 700-800. 901-1000 is for times
when the game is One vs. The World. Minigames submitted are IMMUNE to the
"Support Your Local Lobbyist" rule, but they must be voted on. The Speaker
will file them into the correct category. ALL Minigames must alter board
positions and/or point values. After the minigame, all players roll again;
usually the 1-5 die, but minigames may adjust this. After any player reaches
the end of The Board, e wins 10 points and a new Board is formed as per the
directions in stars, above."

This should give us a real Game, now!
Note that this rule only has meaning after minigames exist.
Also note the low value of getting there first. This is due to the fact that
it's currently pure luck in the movement; the Minigames are where the fun is
all at ;-) !
--Adam Norberg

---

From: "Mark Risen" <kandelar@n...>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 21:41:59 -0700

How is it possible for ensure that each players 'rolls' fairly? How would
they provide the roll to the group? Can we have The Speaker handle the rolls
and move everyone simultaneously?

If we have MiniGames defined in all three sets, do we play The Board
endlessly? (Let the madness stop! :) )

Players determine the symbols on the board. Is there any penalty for taking
a long period of time in determining the symbol, or can we just prevent the
game by not deciding?

Are the 'points' discussed our Score Points or are they points having to do
with the Board or the MiniGame(s)?

I'm assuming that, once enough MiniGames are decided, the game will go
something like this:
1. In some order, players are chosen to provide a symbol for the board
until the board is complete.
2. Rolling of the die occurs and players are moved
3. If a player reaches the end, we go back to step 1, else...
4. Once players are moved, points calculated, a MiniGame is played
5. Once the MiniGame is complete, We go back to step 2
Is this roughly correct?

----- Original Message -----
From: "smartgamer" <sgamer@s...>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 5:48 AM
Subject: [on_discussion] ABNPROP2

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>

---

From: Devon Jacobs {Darkstar} <djacobs@n...>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 07:10:59 -0400

Mark,

there are several dice rolling sites... the one we use, rolls dice for
each player we assign, and mails the results back to me, it also keeps a
record of the roll for like 30 days in case there's a question about
it.... this could be used for player rolls (1d5), team assignments (1d3)
etc...

However, this rule would require almost as much 'paperwork' as nomic
itself, so if this were to go into effect we would need someone assigned
as game master to take care of this sub game, perhaps AdamN, the author
of said rule.... e would handle all aspects of the subgame, keeping
detailed records to be provided to the speaker in case there is a call
for judgement. E would report score changes to the speaker for posting
on the website. E would also keep track of player position and come up
with a graphical representation of the board showing player position to
post to the web site each time there is movement making it an easy
reference for everyone.

At 09:41 PM 5/1/01 -0700, you wrote: 

<excerpt>How is it possible for ensure that each players 'rolls' fairly?
How would

they provide the roll to the group? Can we have The Speaker handle the
rolls

Players determine the symbols on the board. Is there any penalty for
taking

a long period of time in determining the symbol, or can we just prevent
the

game by not deciding?

Are the 'points' discussed our Score Points or are they points having to
do

</excerpt>

.

/ \

| |

|.|

|.|

|:| __

,_|:|_, / )

(Oo / _I_

+\ \ || __|

\ \||___|

\ /.:.\-\

|.:. /-----\

|___|::oOo::|

/ |:<<_T_>:|

|_____\ ::: /

| | \ \:/

| | | |

\ / | \___

/ | \_____\

`-'

-Devon Jacobs-

-Grand Silly Kniggit-

--Speaker of Our Nomic--

---

From: smartgamer <sgamer@s...>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 07:39:48 -0500

The entire point is that the Board is endless. And they are standard
game points; however, some Minigames may instead have
Coinz as their items.

Your flowchart's right, actually.

C'mon, let's see some opinions here!

--Adam Norberg
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Risen" <kandelar@n...>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 11:41 PM
Subject: Re: [on_discussion] ABNPROP2

rolls
taking
the
do
> > "An entity is now being defined as 'THE BOARD.' THE BOARD is a path,
with
> an
> > it's currently pure luck in the movement; the Minigames are where the
fun
> is

---

From: smartgamer <sgamer@s...>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 07:52:58 -0500

That's perfectly fine with me. I have probably one of the best art programs
on the planet (And it's freeware! www.gimp.org) so I can render a
pretty-looking
board, and do a separate piece layer so it's easy to move them. The only
webspace I have is occupied, however, by a brain puzzles contest I'm running
for another site, and I have one more Free Webspace thing from my
PDA company- but it's for a PDA fan site only...

--Adam Norberg
----- Original Message -----
From: Devon Jacobs {Darkstar}
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 6:10 AM
Subject: Re: [on_discussion] ABNPROP2

Mark,
there are several dice rolling sites... the one we use, rolls dice for each
player we assign, and mails the results back to me, it also keeps a record
of the roll for like 30 days in case there's a question about it.... this
could be used for player rolls (1d5), team assignments (1d3) etc...

However, this rule would require almost as much 'paperwork' as nomic itself,
so if this were to go into effect we would need someone assigned as game
master to take care of this sub game, perhaps AdamN, the author of said
rule.... e would handle all aspects of the subgame, keeping detailed records
to be provided to the speaker in case there is a call for judgement. E would
report score changes to the speaker for posting on the website. E would also
keep track of player position and come up with a graphical representation of
the board showing player position to post to the web site each time there is
movement making it an easy reference for everyone.

At 09:41 PM 5/1/01 -0700, you wrote:

.
/ \
| |
|.|
|.|
|:| __
,_|:|_, / )
(Oo / _I_
+\ \ || __|
\ \||___|
\ /.:.\-\
|.:. /-----\
|___|::oOo::|
/ |:<_T_>:|
|_____\ ::: /
| | \ \:/
| | | |
\ / | \___
/ | \_____\
`-'
-Devon Jacobs-
-Grand Silly Kniggit-
--Speaker of Our Nomic--

---

From: Falcon Arendell <falcon.arendell@w...>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 09:41:34 -0400

I agree, in spirit, that there should be some form of centralized game
within Our Nomic. However, within the spirit of Nomic, perhaps it would be
better approached by piece parts. On so central a framework, the more
complex it is, the more likely it is that others will find fault with some
part of it and vote it out. I think that creating a board and an area to
create rules for the board would be a great first step. That's my two
cents.

__________________________________
Falcon Arendell
Founder of the Apathist Party
falcon@2...

"The clock on the Hudson City Savings
Bank billboard says 6:30, indicating nothing
but the hands' exhaustion"
M. Leyner

-----Original Message-----
From: smartgamer [mailto:sgamer@s...]
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 8:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [on_discussion] ABNPROP2

Next Rule:

AND SO IT BEGINS

Rule text below: