Subject: MRPROP1 - The WeatherPerson - For Discussion

From: "Mark Risen" <kandelar@n...>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 20:04:17 -0700

charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Ok, I'm going to try this out. Here is my first prop put up for discussion.=
Please criticize and comment on it since I'm trying to learn.
-Mark

Proposition: The WeatherPerson

To bring into existance, the position of "The WeatherPerson".

The WeatherPerson has the sole duty of predicting the weather in OurNomic. =
E
does this by rolling a 6 sided die and consulting the following table:

1. Sunny
2. Cloudy
3. Rainy
4. Thunderstorms
5. Snow
6. Fog

Amazingly, the meteorological skills of The WeatherPerson are unparalleled,
even when the position changes hands. Because of this, The WeatherPerson is
100% accurate with eir predictions.

The WeatherPerson must provide weather predictions to The Speaker within 2
days of the date the weather will occur. Furthermore, The WeatherPerson ma=
y
accurately predict the weather for up to 14 days after the date that the
prediction occurs. The WeatherPerson is not required to provide predictions
up to 14 days in advance, but may do so at eir discretion. It is assumed
that weather prediction can sometimes be a tricky art and may take time to
determine.

Failure to provide weather predictions to The Speaker within the specified
time will result in a 1 point loss for all players due to the ensuing chaos
of unexpected weather. In addition, The WeatherPerson will be scorned and
lose an additional 3 points. If The WeatherPerson fails to provide weather
predictions 2 days in a row or 3 times within a 30 day period, the followin=
g
will happen:

1. The citizens of Our Nomic will become accustomed to unpredictable
weather and no longer lose points
2. The WeatherPerson will lose 5 points
3. The person holding the position of The WeatherPerson will lose that
position
4. The Speaker will determine The New WeatherPerson per the rules below=
.

When the position of "The WeatherPerson" needs to be determined (such as
determining the initial holder of the position or after the completion of
duties or after the position has been stripped from somebody), the followin=
g
guidlines are used:
1. The position of "The WeatherPerson" can only be held by an actively
voting member of Our Nomic
2. The Speaker will have 2 days to determine who will hold the position
of "The WeatherPerson". Failure to do so will result in a 1 Prestige Point
loss per day exceeded.
3. The Speaker determines, by a random method, the holder of the
position, "The WeatherPerson". The position may not be occupied by the
person holding this position just prior to this change in position.
4. Once the holder of the position is determined, the citizens of Our
Nomic will allow a grace period of 7 days before a prediction needs to be
known. During this period, no point penalties for unexpected weather will b=
e
incurred.

Failure of The Speaker to post the weather predictions before the date that
the weather is predicted for, will allow for the citizens to "Admonish The
Speaker" harshly via e-mail and cause The Speaker to lose 5 Prestige Points=
.
It is assumed that The WeatherPerson took measures to inform the citizens o=
f
Our Nomic by other means and no other point penalties will occur due to
unexpected weather.

If The WeatherPerson fulfills the duties of the position by accurately
predicting weather for 56 days (not necessarily consecutively), e will be
rewarded with 10 points. It is assumed that the last prediction(s) made by
The WeatherPerson that reach or exceed the 56 days will be accurate and it
is not necessary for the days to actually pass in order to verify that the
predictions were accurate. Immediately upon providing the 56th prediction,
The WeatherPerson must inform The Speaker of the event or else forfit the 1=
0
point reward. Once informed, The Speaker must then determine The New
WeatherPerson.