Subject: Issues...

From: "Windrant" <windrant@n...>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 20:24:55 -0500

Now that I am at least slightly functional I'll comment on some of the
issues brought up in the discussion list.

First, about the motions I submitted for vote... it seems to me that most
people don't mind that the proposals are put directly to the web and not
circulate via the discussion list. Thank you that saves me a whole lot o'
shit. I typically just format the proposals for the web. Starting soon, I
will keep ALL postings I make to the discussion list on the webpage for easy
reference. As Historian, it would be nice to have a more detailed record of
everything that happens. I plan to make the posting from the Historian's
Office the offical record of what has happen to the game state. I will soon
be posting an "Offical Record" email... should be VERY detailed. Tell me
what you think when you see it.

Secondly, I will not advertise the Nomic to the outside world... yet.
Perhaps it would be best to wait till a winner is declared in this game and
a new game begins. That way we have a "test run" done all the way through.
It'll no doubt help us when we get a bunch of "newbies" and
veterans/refugees from other nomics starting to ask question of us.

Further, as to my thoughts about the Historian position, I've said it before
and I'll say it again: I don't like the rules as they stand. I'm not sure
I want to the Historian "forevermore"! Here's the problems I see with rules
regarding the Historian as I see it.
1st- No where in the rules does it explictly say I can pass the position on
to anybody. If we want a new Historian, rule 304 HAS to be amended/changed.
That leaves the nomination that I make up to vote by the players. What if
the proposal to make the amendment fails? Does that mean I HAVE to continue
as Historian? According to 304 it does.
2nd- 304 states "As Historian, it will be Chuck's duty to... serve as list
moderator for the discussion list serve." And then 307 states "The Speaker
shall do no more than facilitate discussion..." Ok, whose job is it to
"facilitate disscusion"? I think there is a small conflict in those 2
rules.

Alright, to further the discussion, in regards to prop 310, 311, 312. I
support 310. I would like to get the power to create proposals. There have
been lots of opportunities where I could have submitted something which
would have been nice to have. I don't think the Speaker would have suddenly
the means to win the game. At least I can't think of a rule change that
would do that... yet. ;) If the speaker actually gets enough points to win
the game then the players aren't really trying hard enough! Besides I don't
think that a second term with the same speaker would be a bad thing.
Perhaps a proposal could be written to govern that possiblity.

Moving on to 311 and 312. I'm not so sure that I like 311. I sat here
through the last round of voting knowing which proposals I wanted to fail
and which I wanted adopted. With this small number of voters, in a lot of
cases, 1 vote made the difference between passing and failing. If had the
power to vote I could watch the results and vote knowing that my vote would
make or break a proposal. I think it would create an unfairness in the
proposal system.

The general setup right now stands that if I don't like a proposal that
applies to the Speaker I have the right to withhold my consent. That
doesn't apply to general rule changes. I can't withhold consent to just
anything! I kinda have to agree with Matt... I'm not sure if 312 is really
nescessary. The rules say a rule must pass by a majority vote. That's more
than 50% vote. I think that 312 would provide a "polite nod" to the Speaker
and his role in the game. I would be able to rescue a proposal about to
fail if I thought it was a good one. It's kinda like my rant about 311,
except it only occurs at the very specific situation of a tie vote. I think
I like it purely because it is some form of voting rights... it makes my
opinion meaningful in the game.

So here's the final tally in my mind: I support 310 and 312. I do not
support 311.

Sorry this has been so long! Just ranting all that I have had kicking
around in the back of my snot-filled head! And now time for a nap!

-C
Charles Henry
windrant@n... ~ www.northnet.org/windrant