Subject: Historian Debate

From: "Julie & Scott" <jands1@f...>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 00:11:13 -0500

Good Evening to All,

I have been thinking about the proposals surrounding the "Historian's" role
in the game and am hoping others will chime in with their thoughts as well.
I support Proposal 304 and agree with its wording. I believe that since
Chuck has created this game, he should be given the title of permanent
Historian. In submitting Proposal 308, I think Jen is also correct to leave
it up to Chuck (the current historian) to select other members to be the
Historian if he so chooses. However, as 308 is currently written, it could
be argued that, if passed, Chuck could select Matt to be Historian and then
Matt could in turn select me without Chuck's consent. I can't say I'm sure
how to rectify that, so what do other people think? Do we just give Chuck
the lifetime role as stated in 304? Does 308 give only Chuck the power to
designate future Historians? Or does it allow the scenario I mentioned
above?

I think what we are trying to accomplish is a way for the Historian to be in
control of the official website and separate those duties from the true role
of Speaker. For now, Chuck is both, but it won't always be that way. And I
wouldn't want to enact a rule that could conceivably put Chuck in violation
of the rules by not giving up the password to his own account! I know such
an occurrence wouldn't happen, but I thought I would raise the concern to
elicit discussion.

Well, I'm getting veh-clempt...discuss!

Happy Trails,
Scott

---

From: LilBoof624@a...
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 14:51:04 EST

After finally having a little time to reflect these propositions from my busy 
schedule of teaching and doing other work, and trying to rest, and not really 
getting on the internet for long periods oftime. I was thinking that I like 
the idea of PP's given to those dedicated to the game and those that have the 
time to participate more. However, I feel that PP's is not really an acurate 
way to pick who the next historian is. I feel that Chuck may be the historian 
for the life of the existence of this game, however if he chooses not to 
remain as historian at any point, he can deem anyone worthy and capable of 
holding the position. If PP's are only to be used as a tie breaker say if 
Chuck was debating between Matt and Devon, then it will be okay, but it 
sounded like The amount of PP's would pick who it is entirely, and someone 
may have more PP's and not really be deemed worthy of the position. So I 
think it can be an entire judgement call on the part of the historian to 
choose his successor. Also, what would happen if the "successor" didn't want 
the position. What would happen then?
Steve