Subject: Re: [on_discussion] MRPROP1 - The WeatherPerson - For Discussion

From: "Callie Hammond" <chammond@i...>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 19:19:17 -0400

charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Questions:

1. Can the weatherperson go ahead and predict the next 52 days, since e is=
always correct? That way, e doesn't have to worry about missing a day.

2. Would e only predict for days when e is told we need to know the weathe=
r? Or is there supposed to be a daily forecast?

3. Does it matter what time of the year it is in Our Nomic? Or do we sudd=
enly have snow in whatever our summer is?

4. Is there any provision for occasional extremes -- drought, hurricane, e=
tc.?

5. Shouldn't it be the (oh, shoot, whatever it is we call the web master) =
instead of the Speaker who loses PP if the weather isn't posted?

Callie Hammond
Fuquay-Varina, NC=20

---

From: "Mark Risen" <kandelar@n...>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 20:06:11 -0700

charset="iso-8859-1"

Thanks for your questions, Callie! Answers are below.
Questions:

1. Can the weatherperson go ahead and predict the next 52 days, since e =
is always correct? That way, e doesn't have to worry about missing a day.
"Furthermore, The WeatherPerson may accurately predict the weather for =
up to 14 days after the date that the prediction occurs." - No. Only 14 day=
s in advance :)
2. Would e only predict for days when e is told we need to know the weat=
her? Or is there supposed to be a daily forecast?
There should be a daily forcast. It is implied due to the fact that fai=
lure to do so results in "unexpected weather". I'll see if I can make that =
more specific
3. Does it matter what time of the year it is in Our Nomic? Or do we su=
ddenly have snow in whatever our summer is?
I'm not defining seasons or anything like that, so weather can come at =
anytime of year :)
4. Is there any provision for occasional extremes -- drought, hurricane,=
etc.?
Not yet... <grin>
5. Shouldn't it be the (oh, shoot, whatever it is we call the web master=
) instead of the Speaker who loses PP if the weather isn't posted?
I've been trying to figure this one out too. I think you are right, sin=
ce I just found out that the Web-Guru and the Speaker are seperate. Maybe w=
e should have a prop on that...
Callie Hammond
Fuquay-Varina, NC=20

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20

---

From: "Windrant" <windrant@n...>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 06:24:37 -0400

charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

5. Shouldn't it be the (oh, shoot, whatever it is we call the web master)
instead of the Speaker who loses PP if the weather isn't posted?

I've been trying to figure this one out too. I think you are right, since I
just found out that the Web-Guru and the Speaker are seperate. Maybe we
should have a prop on that...

Are you referring to the Web Gnome? We do have rules on that!

304 "CHUCK THE WEB GNOME", 307 and 313 "HISTORIAN REDEFINED"

Right now we're still working out the kinks in the communication lines
between us. Once we've come to an informal standard, we'll develop rules to
better define the system. 304, 307, and 313 were developed before the
Speaker and the Historian were seperate people. They do reflect some ideas
that are just plain impractical. We'll get those ironed out soon too.

In the meantime, here's the way you should treat the webpages... they are a
reflection of the UPDATEs that are sent by the Speaker. They are passive
currently. Meaning that they are updated FROM the UPDATEs sent by the
Speaker. If you plan to base posting the weather on the webpages then the
weatherperson and the responsibility for maintaining the weatherperson
system should be on the Historian instead of Speaker. That way there's no
time lag between Weatherperson -> Speaker -> Historian -> Webpage. It
would be just Weatherperson -> Historian -> Webpage.

My 2 cents worth!

-C
Chuck Henry
Historian and Founder of Our Nomic
www.northnet.org/windrant/OurNomic