Subject: An issue of discussion

From: "Windrant" <windrant@n...>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 15:09:56 -0500

Now I chime into the discussion!

I think what Devon was suggesting wasn't that we post the proposals DIRECTLY
to the discussion and expect me to grab them and number them and ask for a
vote. It's just that he ran into a problem. He submitted a proposal that
he realized needed to be reworded before it was written into a formal
proposal. He submitted it as a formal proposal before he realized the
imperfection. He was afraid that you folks would vote into law something
he felt was less than perfect. That left him with 2 choices:
1) Ask to withdraw the proposal. (Which there is no legal precedent...)
2) Allow it to be voted in or out. If it was voted in then he could
propose an amendment.

He saw this and suggested a way to prevent this in the future. That's what
DRJPROP2 is.

However, might I suggest that a proposal which is not formally entered into
record be called something else?!? Maybe call it a "proposition." And then
just follow Devon's suit... use initials and the number that you have
chosen. And then state before the proposition the date in which the "copy
protection" expires. In Devon's case it would be:

>Proposition DRJ2
>Expires: March 8th, 2000
>Proposition:
>(text here)

This would allow Devon to get suggestions on the prop as written and avoid
having to withdraw the proposal. At the end of 7 days Devon then could
submit what he thought the proposal should be and let you folks decide the
outcome.

This is just a suggestion...

If in fact, a system is set up like this it would not have to be mandatory.
If you wanted the advice on the prop you could submit it to the discussion
continuum as a proposition and then listen to the advice roll in... the
decision of what the final proposal would be would be yours. If you merely
wanted it voted upon without discussion ("damn the torpedoes!") then submit
to it the Speaker as a proposal. Getting people to vote on it would be your
diplomacy skills and the merit of the proposal only.

I can't write a proposal that would set this system up... open to anyone for
the writing.

-Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: Devon Jacobs {Darkstar} [mailto:djacobs@a...]
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 12:55 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: DRJPROP2

Proposal:

At any time a proposal may be submitted to all members of the on_discussion
mailing list for debate before submission to the speaker for voting. A
proposal submitted for the purpose of debate must be e-mailed to all
members of the on_discussion mailing list and have the following as the
first line of the body of the e-mail.

PROPOSAL FOR DEBATE

A proposal submitted for debate in this manner will be protected in that no
player may officially submit for voting the same proposal, or a differently
worded proposal that causes the same result as the proposal originally
posted for debate for a period of 7 days from the time the original
proposal was posted for debate in the appropriate manner. If the proposal
is not officially submitted for voting within the 7 day period, no player
may repost for debate the same proposal, or a differently worded proposal
that causes the same result as the proposal originally posted for a period
of 7 days. In either case, the Speaker will be the sole judge of whether
any proposal submitted for voting or debate causes the same result as a
proposal previously submitted for debate.
-Devon

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Web -> http://www.northnet.org/darkstar
E-mail -> djacobs@n...
Netrek -> Darkone (DD)
Diablo -> Moadib (Warrior)
Quakeworld -> Darkstar (Deathmonger)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-