Subject: 311 - A last statement

From: "Scott Morgan" <jands1@f...>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 00:40:51 -0000

Hello all,
Well, proposals 310 and 311 are both up tonight, but it is on 311
that I would like to give a final word of support. I know that 311 is
rather sweeping in the powers it gives to the Speaker and many here
are concerned about corruption. I understand these concerns,
especially the pointed comment Chuck made about the potential power
to control the destiny of the game. However, the corruption that has
been spoken of would undoubtedly, in all cases, be a MAJOR violation
of the game's rules and would be reason for being kicked out. The
results of every vote are publicized, so there is little chance of a
Speaker changing someone's vote. As for "controlling" the game, I
must say again that only collectively does anyone have such power.
So, even if a corrupt Speaker is being an ass, but not breaking the
rules, we can still vote that person down.

When Chuck started this game, he put up on the pulpit the two rules
that prevented the Speaker from either voting or proposing. He said
that he wanted to be able to play and that "rules 204 and 206 prevent
me from using my powers within the game from leading the development
of the game." While Chuck has changed his mind at least about
completely reversing rule 206, I still believe that the game's
development will be retarded if ALL players cannot vote on an equal
basis. The Speaker and the Voters need to be a real group for this
game to truly work and the only way I see that happening is this: one
person...one vote. Yes, one of us has some additional duties to stir
up conversation and such, but that person who next becomes Speaker
should be truly allowed to lead by proposing and voting on what
affects us all; a crucial leadership function that I don't believe
our current Speaker has been allowed to provide under the current
rules.

So, that's my final rant and I urge you to vote yes on 310 and 311
tonight.

-Scott