Subject: STUFF

From: Devon Jacobs {Darkstar} <djacobs@n...>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 07:40:35 -0400

Hi Folks,

Just a short update to take care of some housekeeping things...

FIRST... Congratulations Scott!! Happy honeymoon and all that, you are
officially excused until further notice!

Second.... regarding the PUBLIC NOTICE post for the NTF... several of you
have replied to the discussion group or myself regarding your involvement
in nomic....OOPS! 

that notice was posted in a public forum under rule 328 to illicit a
response from members of the Name Task Force (NTF): Matt Keppel(head of
NTF), Scott Morgan, and Jen Henry. 

Rule 328."...The NTF reports to the Speaker. At any time the Speaker can
make requests of the NTF and receive a fulfillment of that request within
3 calendar days. If the request is not fulfilled in the 3 day period, the
Speaker then may suspend operations of the NTF until the request is
filled...".

Also regarding Callie's message:

<italic>"I am having a bloody hard time keeping up with discussions of
proposals,

requests for support of proposals, and actual proposals which require a

vote. I'm thinking we should have some sort of required subject for each
of

the above. I know we have one for proposals which are officially open
for

debate, although I don't think I've ever seen one of those."

</italic>this is all laid out in scattered portions of the ruleset... but
let me see if I can make it clearer, and give you kind of a guideline:

there are really two terms at work here: PROPOSAL and PROPOSITION.

A PROPOSAL is a rule change that a player would like to see enacted that
has been submitted to the speaker (see below) for voting. Proposals are
assigned an official number and are placed on the discussion group and
web pages for voting. Proposals up for voting will be posted to the
discussion group in an official NOMIC UPDATE from the speaker under the
heading New Proposals, and will include the author, text of the proposal,
supporting players (if applicable) and the dates of the voting period. 
ONLY officially numbered and posted proposals are voted on.

A PROPOSITION is a rule change that you would like to see enacted but
that has not been submitted to the speaker for voting. there are 2 ways
to handle a proposition:

1. the best method is under rule 337. form an idea of what changes you
want to make to the ruleset. when you have a good working copy that you
think will fly, proceed to drum up support for it by e-mailing it
directly to the players who you think would support it (e-mail addresses
for all players can be located on the webpages here:
http://www.northnet.org/windrant/OurNomic/players.htm). If the players
you mailed it to wish to support your changes, they will respond directly
to you saying that they will support it. This qualifies as a letter of
support. You need a MINIMUM of 2 letters of support to submit your
changes to the speaker as a PROPOSAL for voting. do this by e-mailing
the text of your changes and copies of at least 2 letters of support
directly to ME (the speaker). I will assign it a prop number and put it
on the web for voting.

2. the alternate method is under rule 303. This is a good second course
for a proposition if the method above meets with poor response. There
may be something in your proposition that is unclear, or needs to be
modified before folks will vote for it willingly. At any time proposed
changes may be submitted to all members of the on_discussion mailing list
for debate before submission to the speaker for voting. A proposition
submitted for the purpose of debate must be e-mailed to all members of
the on_discussion mailing list and have the following as the first line
of the body of the e-mail: 

PROPOSITION ($$$PROP#) FOR DEBATE

where $$$ represents the author's initials and # represents the number of
propositions submitted in this manner by this author. (my next one would
be DRJPROP11). 

doing this allows you to discuss your proposed changes with the entire
group for a short period of time so you can modify it in the hopes that
more people will support it. in addition, during this time, nobody can
steal your idea now that you've made it public and directly submit it to
the speaker under rule 337 (see the fulltext of rule 303 for details). 
once the proposed changes have been on the discussion list for 7 days, it
can be submitted to the speaker for voting WITHOUT any letters of
support. The author may do this by e-mailing the text of your changes
directly to ME (the speaker). I will assign it a prop number and put it
on the web for voting.

hope that helps a bit.....

.

/ \

| |

|.|

|.|

|:| __

,_|:|_, / )

(Oo / _I_

+\ \ || __|

\ \||___|

\ /.:.\-\

|.:. /-----\

|___|::oOo::|

/ |:<<_T_>:|

|_____\ ::: /

| | \ \:/

| | | |

\ / | \___

/ | \_____\

`-'

-Devon Jacobs-

-Grand Silly Kniggit-

--Speaker of Our Nomic--