Subject: FW: An Ounce of Prevention

From: Falcon Arendell <falcon.arendell@w...>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 09:50:44 -0400

I would love to hear any comments has, positive or negative regarding this
Proposition. To me it seems to be a hole (albeit a small one) in the
existing rules that we should cap before it ever becomes an issue.

-----Original Message-----
From: Falcon Arendell [mailto:falcon.arendell@w...]
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 2:18 PM
To: NOMIC (E-mail)
Subject: An Ounce of Prevention

PROPOSITION (FMAPROP1) FOR DEBATE
Baby Please Don’t Go!

If at any time the Speaker leaves the game, a new Speaker must be named
using the following process:

1.	The position is offered to the Active Voter with the highest Prestige
Points. This should be the person most active in the game.
2.	Any Voter has the option of turning down the position of Speaker.
3.	Any Voter turning down the position of Speaker shall have their Prestige
Point total adjusted to equal one (1) less than the next highest total.
4.	If all Active Voters turn down the position of Speaker (or there are no
Active Voters) the position will be given to the Voter with the highest
Point Total. This person may not turn down the position.

____________________________
Falcon Arendell
General Manager
Raleigh's Village Idiots
www.idiots.net

"If you pet a wasp, it will sting you"
LEM

---

From: "Mark Risen" <kandelar@n...>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 08:13:15 -0700

charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I agree that there is a hole and this prop makes a good try at filling it.

One thing I see, however is that you can gain PPs by turning down the posit=
ion.

For example. Players A, B, C, and D have PPs of 200, 100, 50, and 0 respect=
ively
Player A turns down the role and is lowered to 99 (I think, or maybe it cou=
ld be 199, since 200 is the highest)
Player B turns down the role and is lowered to 98
Player C turns down the role and is raised to 98
Player D turns down the role and is raised to 98
Player A is forced to occupy the role as speaker...
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Falcon Arendell=20
To: NOMIC (E-mail)=20
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 6:50 AM
Subject: [on_discussion] FW: An Ounce of Prevention

I would love to hear any comments has, positive or negative regarding thi=
s Proposition. To me it seems to be a hole (albeit a small one) in the exi=
sting rules that we should cap before it ever becomes an issue.

=20=20=20

-----Original Message-----
From: Falcon Arendell [mailto:falcon.arendell@w...]
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 2:18 PM
To: NOMIC (E-mail)
Subject: An Ounce of Prevention

=20=20=20

Baby Please Don't Go!

=20=20=20

If at any time the Speaker leaves the game, a new Speaker must be named u=
sing the following process:

=20=20=20

1.. The position is offered to the Active Voter with the highest Presti=
ge Points. This should be the person most active in the game.=20
2.. Any Voter has the option of turning down the position of Speaker.=20
3.. Any Voter turning down the position of Speaker shall have their Pre=
stige Point total adjusted to equal one (1) less than the next highest tota=
l.=20
4.. If all Active Voters turn down the position of Speaker (or there ar=
e no Active Voters) the position will be given to the Voter with the highes=
t Point Total. This person may not turn down the position.=20
=20=20=20

=20=20=20

=20=20=20

Falcon Arendell

General Manager

Raleigh's Village Idiots

www.idiots.net

=20=20=20

LEM

=20=20=20

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20

---

From: Falcon Arendell <falcon.arendell@w...>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 12:10:02 -0400

Actually, if Player B turns it down, the offer reverts to Player A (who is
now at 99, one less than the “next highest total”). Under the current
method, it would then fluctuate between A and B until they were both below
C. Put this way, it is more awkward than I first envisioned. Nobody would
be able to gain PPs, but the transition could be made smoother. According
to the 4th point, A would only be forced to take the position if A had the
most “Points” (not PPs). A would of course have the option then of
resigning. Of course, if things got to that point, I think that game would
have a lot more serious issues. Thank you for your feedback.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Risen [mailto:kandelar@n...]
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 11:13 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [on_discussion] FW: An Ounce of Prevention

One thing I see, however is that you can gain PPs by turning down the
position.

For example. Players A, B, C, and D have PPs of 200, 100, 50, and 0
respectively
Player A turns down the role and is lowered to 99 (I think, or maybe it
could be 199, since 200 is the highest)
Player B turns down the role and is lowered to 98
Player C turns down the role and is raised to 98
Player D turns down the role and is raised to 98
Player A is forced to occupy the role as speaker...

-----Original Message-----
From: Falcon Arendell [mailto:falcon.arendell@w...]
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 2:18 PM
To: NOMIC (E-mail)
Subject: An Ounce of Prevention

1. The position is offered to the Active Voter with the highest Prestige
Points. This should be the person most active in the game.
2. Any Voter has the option of turning down the position of Speaker.
3. Any Voter turning down the position of Speaker shall have their
Prestige Point total adjusted to equal one (1) less than the next highest
total.
4. If all Active Voters turn down the position of Speaker (or there are
no Active Voters) the position will be given to the Voter with the highest
Point Total. This person may not turn down the position.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
www.debticated.com
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=190462.1393721.2979173.2/D=egroupmail/S=1700057088:N/
A=551015/?http://www.debticated.com>

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .