Subject: MN-L: Re: Game 11 Buzz on Jon

From: Kevan Davis <kdavis@i...>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 00:47:50 +0000

>> Anyway. Charing Cross is still a Holy Station, I'm afraid - you can't
>> Shunt someone from it.
>
> *still*?
>
> D'oh. *That* one needs fixing... :)

It is, I confess, a rather careless and overpowerful bit of serendipity,
that you can sit gathering Pigeons forever with no danger of a Shunt.
If I'd have been more careful with my Wilding (excellently covered,
Dunx), it would have been an all-too-easy path to Gold, I think.

I'm not sure if this is what the Game's about, really - the existence of
a number of powerful strategies which other Players need to consider and
deal with seems very fitting, if anything (I'm sure you could declare
a Kennington Pigeon Gambit at York, and most people would dismiss their
ignorance as poor memory and just acknowledge it). I suppose if we
laminated the current Ruleset and just played solidly without amendment
for six months, we'd establish a number of these, and maybe have a better
idea of what needs seriously removing, and what's an acceptable "powerful
opening strategy".

I'm tempted to propose a Pigeon "fix" for the Week-End, maybe some sort
of limit on the number you can carry, as Dunx commented on. There may
well be a clever scuppering possible, though, I'm not sure. It's never
easy to decide what should be repealed, what should be countered by a
new tactic (Holy Shunts for one Red and one Silver, or whatever), and
what should be left in until we're sure how fair it is.

Oh, and Dunx also commented:-

>And presumably Kevan will be forced to move once we reach Sunday.

Sadly not - a Move of "Pass" is always automatically Valid, quoth the
opener of Rule 1.5.0. It's getting quite boring, though, so I think
I'll go off and get Golds elsewhere as soon as I can.

Kevan

--
kdavis@i... - http://www.innotts.co.uk/~elusive/kevan - UIN: 5998366
"Forever is too long."
-- My Life Story, "Forever" 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com

---

From: Jonathan David Amery <jda23@h...>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 02:02:00 +0000 (GMT)

> what should be left in until we're sure how fair it is.

Proposal: Amend the wording of that rule so that the prohibition only
applies to shunting people without Pigeons in their pockets (They can't be
in church with Pigeons in their pockets :-)

-- 
Jonathan David Amery, Trinity Hall, CAMBRIDGE, CB2 1TJ. #####
http://www.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/~jda23/home.html o__#######
"The last human being on the Earth sat alone in a room. \'#######
There was a knock on the door..." - Shortest SF story...