Subject: MN-L: Re: Game 11...

From: riffraff@n... (RiffRaff)
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 01:35:00 -0500

> One idea that I would like to see (it isn't in next week's
>Proposals, but will be in the week after next) is that of forcing all
>Tokens expended on a particular Action to be placed on the same Stack.

That would fix people being able to get back all the tokens spent on
Tithing. I'd vote for that, assuming I remembered to vote.

>>Me neither, and I do wonder if it's worth reinventing the concept of
>Manoeuvres, solving the flaw of their murkiness - perhaps a compulsory
>"I'm about to complete a Manoeuvre next Turn" Action, along the lines of
>Dunx's old "Atari" suggestion, would solve some of its troubles.
>
> That might be possible, but personally I prefer the idea that one
>has to spot the opponents *without* them telling you what they are
>doing. After all, in chess, you don't announce your intentions to your
>opponents (and, while I'm a great Rutts fan on some occasions, my
>original favourite MC grandmaster was the Russian chess fiend
>Baryshnikov.) For instance, any one of you guys at Charing Cross could
>have come up the Jubilee, blocked Neasden and denied my Rushton Memorial
>Gambit. But because most of you were so preoccupied in picking up
>Pigeons, nobody noticed - indeed Dunx was kind enough to kill the
>potential DH Loop (if everybody had followed, I couldn't have escaped as
>I had neither Silver Tokens nor an LV of 10). One just has to be on
>one's guard. Likewise, a Power Failure on the Northern might have killed
>RiffRaff's Morden Paradox, but nobody was too worried. MC is surely a
>game of strategy, after all...

Agreed.

Perhaps [Atari] could be optional... Say, you're about to complete a
Gambit, and you play [Atari]. If noone is able to block the Manoevre, you
get an extra Silver (or something) as a bonus for having given the warning.

cheers,
--Riff

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-l
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications