Subject: MN-L: Re: Game 11 nearly a Bzzzzzzzt on Ole

From: "Wayper, Paul" <WayperP@p...>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 12:13:11 +1000

On Tuesday, January 18, 2000 12:15 AM, Ole Andersen
[SMTP:palnatoke@g...] wrote:
> [Long Game]
> +- Line States ------------------------------------------------+
> | NT Electrified |
> +--------------------------------------------------------------+
> Ole : Moorgate (CL) [Busking]

I was about to buzz on the following matter (and I quote):

Er, AFAICS, Embankment itself is blocked. Not just the northern line, but
all of it. My references:

Rule 1.20.3 - Opposites Attract, They Say

A Player may perform the post-Move Action "[<Line>:Electrified]" to
put the mentioned Line in an Electrified State.

While a Line is in an Electrified State, all Stations on the said Line
are considered Blocked if the Moving Player is carrying any
Metallic Tokens at the start of eir Movement Phase.

Now, what exactly does 'Blocked' mean? The only reference I can see is the
rule on the Blocking Action itself.

Rule 1.9.1 - Basic Blocks

A Player may perform the post-Move Action of "[Blocking <Station>]",
where
<Station> is is an unoccupied Station adjacent to eir Piece's current
positio
Upon performing this Action, the specified Station is Blocked for one
Round.
{snip}
If a Station is Blocked, any Moves which start, pass through or
end at that Station are Invalid, unless the Moving Player owns the
Ticket Stub for that Station.
{snip}

AFAICS, Blocking a Station applies to all movement from, to or through that
Station, regardless of line. An Electrified Line means that all of the
Stations who have at least one connection to that Line are Blocked. 

HOWEVER, since Ole had no metal tokens this doesn't mean anything to his
perfectly valid move.

I raise this because it seems to be a fairly important point. I'm going to
submit a Proposal to change Rule 1.20.3 to say that the Stations on that
line are blocked for use of that line only, or words to that effect, and
we'll see how it sounds.

Have fun,

Paul Wayper -- DPI IS&S ITO Computer Systems Officer
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c) 1998-9 PJW