Subject: MN-L: Re: Game 11...

From: "Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan@f...>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 12:40:46 +0100

>> -1 Blue for the Peg: placed on Beckton, completes a BkBkBkReReBu
>> stack (now removed) and gets me 2 Silver Tokens. Who said that the
Stack
>> Em High, Sell Em Cheap rule never gets used? :-)
>
>Fair enough. If it stays in I suppose I'll just have to start abusing
it as much as possible, then.

Well, not so much abusing as using it as it was meant to be used
IMHO... There is the possibility of a decent gain (for completing a
stack), but also the risk (leaving the chance to complete a stack on
one's next turn gives the possibility of someone else completing it
emself and getting the bonus. Makes for a lot of careful strategy. (I
didn't particularly want to be stuck on a Power Failure, but if it gets
me two silver tokens then it was worth it. Pegging DH can reduce the
danger from the DH loop in this game, but gets in the way of one of my
strategies... I'd considered starting a Fire at the Bulkheaded Wembley
Park to get rid of the Bulkhead, but I didn't have enough reds. So I had
to think fairly carefully about what I was doing.

Jonathan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/l-nomic-l
http://www.eGroups.com - Simplifying group communications

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 12:07:32 -0000

> emself and getting the bonus. Makes for a lot of careful strategy.

It would if you could only add one Token to a Stack at a time; theoretically, you can cough out dozens of Tokens during your Turn, so it becomes ludicrously easy to complete Stacks. If you've got a Blue, Red, Black and a couple of Greens, all you have to do is Hoard them at your Home Station and you've got yourself a Gold.

Maybe limiting it to one Token per Stack per Turn would improve matters and get the rule working how it should, although I think we could probably use more recognisable patterns (it's very easy to spot a Kafka Sinkhole building up, after all - rewards for patterns such as ReGrReGrReGr might be worthwhile)...

> (I

True enough, I suppose, yes. (You could have Blocked Wembley Park twice, actually, as an alternative.) I suppose I'll have to play and think a bit more before deciding how broken the Stack Bonus rules are. I fear there are probably one too many loopholes as things stand, is all.

Regards,

Kevan

--
kevan@d...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove