Subject: MN: Re: Sv: Token quantity discussions

From: kevan@d...
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 12:05:00 -0000

>Too many by whose definition? Some of us are of the opinion that certain
>kinds of Plastic Token in particular are not numerous enough in the
>game, though I do believe that Silvers should be rare, and so should
>Golds (hence my distaste for the Gold Rush which creates an entire stack
>of them at once.) 

Well, much of this is mere opinion and personal taste, of course. I
think Silvers should be attainable, albeit rarely (there are, after all,
only a couple of Stations which grant them), and am continually
surprised when people complain about Greens "not being available enough"
and start adding other ways to get them. The idea that Greens can only
be created by recycling other Tokens is quite, quite elegant, entirely
befitting their "indifferent catalyst" status, and the idea of gaining
them any other way just seems to be missing the (and I presume Dunx's
original, rather than just my interpretative) point.

>This relates to another private bugbear of mine: why should Silver
>Tokens be available from moves? Especially now that we have another kind
>of Plastic Token. If the simple change were made, changing the "Silver"
>reward to a "Green" for passing through five interchanges or landing on
>a five-line interchange,

A mere Green, for all that effort? Even if Recycling were repealed to
make Greens rarer, the fact that they're used for potentially useless
Actions such as Wilding and Gold Rushing means that they're arguably
less precious than Reds or Blacks. Limiting Silvers to (presumably
your intent) Manoeuvres and Stacks would make them too difficult to
obtain, I suspect.

>gaining three plastic tokens per turn seems a little more
>conducive to strategy than two: no longer a case of "oh, this is the
>only Action I can play", more a case of "right, *which* Action shall I
>play?" 

Reasonable argument were Tokens distributed at random, but they're
not; I should hope it was more a case of "Where can I get a third Blue
from?" than "Oh, look, three Blues; which Action shall I play?"

Kevan

--
kevan@d...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications