Subject: Re: MN: Re: Tokens

From: riffraff@n...
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 17:31:07 -0500

>
>> It would seem strange to not be able to do all exchanges at Bank,
>
>Maybe if only one type of exchange per Turn was permitted
>(bronze->silver or silver->gold), but I'm not sure it's enough. Or
>doing an exchange automatically transported you to your Home Station.
>Or make Bronze and Silver exchangable, but make Golds available some
>other way.

I'll have to ponder these a bit.

>
>> but I
>> could see requiring down-exchanging there too. That might become
>too
>> inconvienient, though.
>
>With good forward planning it shouldn't be any more inconvienient than
>having to up-exchange.

Hmm, okay. Worth testing, at any rate.

>
>> Well, what if we forgot the idea about making Silvers only
>acquirable by
>> collecting Bronzes?
>
>That doesn't change anything. The point is they're exchangable. And as
>long as they are exchangable there is little point having more than
>two types.
>

I just think it's nice to have the intermediary, y'know? Instead of having
to save up 32 Bronzes before you can get a Gold and do something powerful,
you can get a Silver and do something mediumly-powerful with only 8. It's
like, in D&D, you can't cast a Meteor Swarm spell until 20th level, but at
least you can do a Fireball at 5th or so. (Or whatever the numbers actually
are.) Sure, we could simply replace costs of '1 Si' with '8 Br', but if
we're going to do that, why not just get rid of Golds too, and make it cost
96 Br to play <Opening MC>? Because A) it's clumsy, and B) variety is the
spice of life.

>> The Plastic Token defines what kind of Action it is, and the Metallics
>> provide the extra cost.
>
>The trouble with this is that for really big violent Actions players
>only need one red and a load of Metallics. This is the warning thing
>you were talking about before, you need to have some idea of what your
>opponents are doing. If someone only has one red then e should only be
>able to do small aggressive Actions, not launch a massive attack using
>Metallics.

Very true. Good point.

--Riff

"This calls for a subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--Vyvyan, "The Young Ones"