Subject: MN: Mornington Crescent Rules?

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:55:30 +0100

I have thought about joining your game, and I have found the rules. I have,
however, not been able to find the rules for Mornington Crescent. There is a
link from one of the MN-pages, but that doesn't work. Any ideas?

Ole Andersen

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/3637/
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Metro/8941/
home: siri.iben@g...
palnatoke@g... (Ole)
palnatoke@a... (Ole)
aeshna@g... (Kira)
school: 1508oa@f... (Ole)
school: ktkock@s... (Kira)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com

---

From: dunx@l... (Duncan Ellis (Dunx))
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 20:48:15 GMT

Ole:

>I have thought about joining your game, and I have found the rules. 

You would be very welcome to join, of course. If you've only just subscribed to
the list, you might want to lurk for a little while until you're comfortable
with what's happening then join a Game and see how things go from there.

The thing to remember is that we all started knowing nothing about the game, so
if there's something you don't understand then do ask. Those of us who are
marked on the Player Pages as Mentors have volunteered to be particularly
helpful. Looking at your web presence though, you are already a Nomicker so I'm
sure there'll be not much you won't be able to follow.

It may be worth mentioning that although MN uses Nomic mechanisms to construct
the ruleset, the focus of the 'win' is entirely upon the game played on the
London Underground map.

>I have,

Hmmm... it could be that the IMCS DNS node has died again. Which link wasit you
followed?

You would probably be better off in the mean time gleaning what you can from the
game archives at York (while it is still there - link on the MN title page), at
Dan Parslow's MC server (http://parslow.com/cgi-bin/mornington/main.pl), and at
Pants MC (http://pantsmc.cream.org/).

In all honesty though, the only thing you really need to know is that theobject
of the game is to move to Mornington Crescent with as much style as possible.
All the fiancettoes, straddles, knurdling, blonking, and other elements you
might see are means to that end, no more.

Mornington Nomic and Mornington Crescent are obviously very closely linked, but
the rules for MC are now so complex in their entirety as to be beyond theken of
all but the most experienced players. No one here, with the possible exception
of PaulWay, could lay claim to such an understanding.

MN is, to a certain extent, an effort to devise a more comprehensible ruleset
for the rest of us.

Dunx
--
Ceci n'est pas un .sig