Subject: Re: MN: Re: Subject: Moving

From: riffraff@n...
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 19:00:14 -0500

>If we combine this with Ole's suggestion about the highest zone
>entered (or maybe the zone the move is finished at) then it sounds
>great.

Yeah, let's try it with the zone finished at. That seems... cleaner,
somehow. "At the end of your Move, gain a number of Black Tokens equal to
the number of the Zone occupied." (Except when Passing, right?) That would
also prevent players from simply looping into the outer Zones and back in
one move to gain Tokens - to get the benefit, you have to spend at least a
little time there.

So, here's what we've got:

Movement: Each Turn, you may move up to 3 Stations for free. Each
additional Station moved costs 1 Black Token. At the end of your Move,
gain X Black Tokens, where X is the number of the Zone the Move is ended
in.

Passing: A Player may elect to play a Move of "Pass", and remain in eir
current location. E gains 1 Plastic Token of any color, but does not gain
the bonus Tokens for Zone.

Line Changes: A Player may change Line before and after eir Move for free.
Changing Line during the Move costs 1 Black Token per change.

Actions: A Player may take one free Action before the Move, and one after
the Move. Additional Actions may be purchased at the cost of one _____
Token each. [I think Green, but we'll save that for further discussion]

Escalators: A Player may change Line for free when travelling across an
Escalator link. The extra Station still counts toward the total number of
Stations moved.

If noone has any objections, I'll add this to the Beta Ruleset (along with
the various definitions and so forth from the original rules.)

cheers,
--Riff

"This calls for a subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--Vyvyan, "The Young Ones"

---

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 06:56:48 +0200

: Line Changes: A Player may change Line before and after eir Move for free.
: Changing Line during the Move costs 1 Black Token per change.
: 
: Actions: A Player may take one free Action before the Move, and one after
: the Move. Additional Actions may be purchased at the cost of one _____
: Token each. [I think Green, but we'll save that for further discussion]

Is Line Change an Action?

Ole

---

From: "Kevan " <kevan@s...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 08:43:33 -0000

> the bonus Tokens for Zone.

Out of interest (and I think this is probably very relevant) are we 
still happy with the "particular Colour Token for passing through 
Interchanges or landing on one" approach for gaining Tokens 
otherwise? Or is it worth lapsing to "one Token of any Colour if you 
land on an Interchange, maybe two if it's a big multi-liner", in 
light of the generally decreased velocities?

Kevan

--
kevan@s...
http://www.stormloader.com/kevan
"You saved your tokens for the right one to come along."

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:26:44 +0100

Kevan said:
> > Passing: A Player may elect to play a Move of "Pass", and remain
in
> eir

Do we need to give Tokens for Passing? I remember there was a reason
for it, but I can't remember what.

Is there anything to stop a person making a Move of zero length?
Should there be? If there is no restriction can we dump the Pass
option?

> light of the generally decreased velocities?

I think Players should have to do something more complicated than move
to get Tokens. That said, the current system might work quite well. Go
out to Zone 4/5/6 get some blacks. Come back to Z1. Use the blacks to
make a long move and get tokens via the interchange system.

-- Annatov Snow
I hate people who complain about people who use mobile phones on
trains.

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:47:02 +0100

> Is Line Change an Action?

It is in the current Ruleset, but I don't think it should be in the
new one.

-- Annatov Snow
It's too hot.

---

From: "Kevan " <kevan@s...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:50:23 -0000

> for it, but I can't remember what.

It was a way to avoid a Player being trapped without Tokens, unable 
to get to an Interchange to get some; something that was, I think, 
more of an issue in the earlier days. Over time, Passing just became 
an easy way to get the Tokens you needed, if you weren't doing 
anything much. I think we can live without the bonus. If someone does 
get pinned down without a Token to their name, all credit to the 
pinner-down.

> Should there be? If there is no restriction can we dump the Pass

I'm not really sure about a zero-length Move, at this stage. I think 
a Pass should remain if only to permit the dialogue "Hmm, I can't do 
anything, I'll pass.", though, which is a common enough refrain at 
York and MCiOS.

> make a long move and get tokens via the interchange system.

Hm, that sounds too bothersome. I think one of your choice from an 
Interchange is fair enough, Interchanges being more vulnerable. 
Restricting Movement (particularly gravitating it to the Circle Line) 
should keep everyone together and make movement more strategic. No 
bad thing.

> I hate people who complain about people who use mobile phones on

Mm, I find the "I'm on the train!" jokes rather pathetic - if 
someone's using a *mobile* phone, that means that the other person 
won't know where they are, and is likely to ask. Tsk.

Kevan

--
kevan@s...
http://www.stormloader.com/kevan
"I haven't got a telephone, and if I did it wouldn't ring."