Subject: MN: Year 2, Week 38 Proposals

From: dunx@l... (Duncan Ellis)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:39:48 GMT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNINGTON NOMIC

Proposals for Voting on in Week Thirty-Eight
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{ Speaker's Comment: All the Proposals this Week are reproposals of the
Week 37 Proposals (with slightly modified names for the purposes of
uniqueness), since no Votes were cast last Week. Also, no new
Proposals were received (including from the Speaker emself).

If you feel this is an abuse of power, then feel free to raise a Point
of Order, but Rule 0.5.4 says:

"If a Rule fails to reach Quorum, its Proposer may repropose it unchanged
during the next Nomic Week."
}

Proposal 584 - Refrozen P's [Multiple]

{ Comment:
This is an attempt to implement the moratorium state that dave suggested.
Given that the purpose of such a moratorium is to prevent gross Ruleset
changes so we can get on and play test, there are to my mind two ways of
introducing such a moratorium:
1. ban all Proposals, relying on EPs to fix the ruleset
2. ban new Rules only, preventing only new features but allowing the
normal process for ruleset fixes.

I've gone for the second option, since this has a lower impact on which
parts of the ruleset have to be suspended (Kudos can be kept active, for
example), and also permits the new Proposal type described below.

Note that this Proposal does not cause a moratorium to be declared
immediately, it merely introduces the mechanism for such a thing.
}

[Amendment: The Ice Age Starts Here]
Amend Rule 0.4.1 (Proposals) by adding the following Proposal types:

* Freeze - To place Mornington Nomic in the Frozen state.
* Unfreeze - To place Mornington Nomic in the Fluid state.

[Enactment: The Ice Man Cometh]
Mornington Nomic shall have an overriding state which may be either Fluid
or Frozen. The current value of this state shall be published on the
Mornington Nomic web site by the Speaker.

The effect of these state values is to control which Proposal types are
valid, as follows:

* Fluid - all Proposal types are valid except for Unfreeze.
* Frozen - Enactment, Action, Special Ruleset and Freeze Proposals are not
valid.

If a currently invalid Proposal type is contained within a Multiple
Proposal, the whole Multiple Proposal shall be considered invalid.

This Rule takes precedence over Rule 0.4.1 in specifying which types of
Proposals may be submitted.

[Enactment: Ground State]
On enactment of this Rule, Mornington Nomic Nomic shall be placed in
the state of "Fluid". This Rule shall then repeal itself.

{ Comment:
Anybody care to guess what Gaseous might mean?
}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 585 - Overcharged (Again) [Enactment]

In Turin '57, the Rules for and effects of Charge shall only be applied
if Current information (as defined in Rule 1.19.1) is available for the
nominated Map. Otherwise, all references to Charge and Current shall be
ignored.

{ Comment:
This should (rather obviously) be placed in the Turin '57 Special
Ruleset.
}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 586 - It's Still Pining For the Fjords [Multiple]

[Amendment: It Has Shuffled Off This Mortal Coil]
Amend Rule 0.10.1 (The Lounges) such that the address of the Discussion
Lounge is changed to read thus:

" The Discussion Lounge - [email-masked]"

Further, change the last paragraph to read thus:

"To subscribe to any of the Lounges, send a blank email to
"l-nomic-<Lounge>[email-masked]", where "<Lounge>" is the
appropriate letter."

[Amendment: It Has Joined the Choir Invisible]
Amend Rule 1.1.2 (A New Game) to add the following text:

"If a New Game does not achieve the conditions required for it to begin,
and it does not seem likely that it will in the near future, then the
Speaker may declare that Game to be void and is permitted to start a
fresh Game in its place."

{ Comment:
Inspired, it will come as no surprise to hear, by Game 13 and it's long
lingering beginning.
}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dunx
--
Ceci n'est pas un .sig

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com