Subject: MN: Re: Wild Thing

From: "Wayper, Paul" <WayperP@p...>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:25:05 +1000

On Tuesday, March 09, 1999 11:34 PM, Kevan Davis
[SMTP:kevan@z...] wrote:
> The obvious solution (and something that certainly needs to be applied to
> Walking and Stub Linking; having glanced at the rules, you can't Walk or
> Link if there's no available Tube route to your destination - completely
> absurd) is that we should simply say "A Wild Move is not considered to
> pass through any Stations".

Good news. I've already submitted a proposal to fix this. It divides
1.5.0 into three sections - Passed Moves, in which the Piece is not moved;
Special Moves, where the Piece is moved directly to the destination Station
and specifically doesn't pass through any other stations; and Normal Moves,
which are evaluated as normal. Special Moves are basically everything in
section 3 of the current 1.5.0; all other 'Wild-like' Actions such as
Striles, Compass Tricks, and so on do specifically state that the piece is
moved to the target station directly.

> Which is maybe fair enough, killing both avians with a single rock, but
it
> means making Wilds and Homes rather powerful again; unBlockable, heedless
of
> Maelbergs, and the rest. I did rather like the idea of Homing only being
> possible if you could plot a route, however tortuous, back there. That if
> you go for a secluded residence, Players can block your path back. Tish.

Personally, I don't hold entirely to this theory. Firstly, you can block
someone's Home, which will stop them entering it (IIRC); secondly, I
believe your Home should always be an option (unless, as before, someone
blocks it. It's not that much easier, and; conversely, if they're out
blocking your Home, they're not blocking you, which is a far more direct
approach. If someone Blocked my Home, they'd have to be doing something
pretty amazing to also stymie me elsewhere.

Have fun, 

Paul Wayper -- DPI ITS Computer Systems Officer
_____________________________________________________________________
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c) 1998-9 PJW

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com