Subject: MN: Re: Year 3 Week 36 Proposals

From: "Wayper, Paul" <WayperP@p...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:02:29 +1000

On Wednesday, January 19, 2000 3:40 PM, Ole Andersen
[SMTP:palnatoke@g...] wrote:
> Basically, a Special Move *is* a Move, while a Straddle, Compass Trick or
> Charge Tunnel is not.
> If you created a new category (Translocations or whichever), and put
> these
> in there, and then defined this category as being like Special Moves in
> this and this way - well, I might vote for it.

I have no problem with this idea. I'll submit it and see where things go.

However, the similarity between Special Moves and this new category makes me
wonder if they're not parts of a greater whole. E.g. Translocations are
broken down in to Move-Translocations (what we call Special Moves - these
replace normal moves) and Action-Translocations (the new category - taking
place in addition to normal moves).

On the one hand this looks like a lot more complex structure - which it
isn't really. On the other hand, it may inspire people to write more neat
fun game stuff.

Bnurl,

Paul Wayper -- DPI IS&S ITO Computer Systems Officer
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c) 1998-9 PJW

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 21:07:15 -0000

> > Basically, a Special Move *is* a Move, while a Straddle, Compass Trick or

Exactly.

> I have no problem with this idea. I'll submit it and see where things go.

Sounds good.

> place in addition to normal moves).

Why not just make them all Special Moves (replace the normal Move) and scrap Straddles? I can see no
reason why Charge tunneling and Compass tricks should be any different to Wilds and Walking and I'm
sure we can live without Straddles (or create a straddle/walking hybrid). This way all piece Moving
(excepting shunts) is in the Move phase of the Turn.

Snow
-I hate everything.

---

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 23:21:34 +0100

Snow asked:
: Why not just make them all Special Moves (replace the normal Move) and
scrap Straddles?

Well, I *like* Straddles. And there is a certain devious charm about making
a Move, and then end up in an unexpected location.

Ole

---

From: "Kevan Davis" <kevan@s...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 07:19:19 -0800

> a Move, and then end up in an unexpected location.

I've mixed feelings on the Straddle business - although they're quite
boringly easy to pull off (the old "drop a Token, Straddle from it"
trick), it's quite a pleasing little technique, and would leave
something of a gap in the Ruleset were it removed.

Its wording, apropos of legality, is a bit dodgy, though:-

"Although not considered to pass through any intervening Stations,
the Straddle Destination must be a valid Move with respect to Blocks
and
other such impediments."

Because it's not a Move. A simple "You cannot Straddle to a Blocked or
Closed Station" should be enough to plug the holes, though. (Charge
Tunneling specifically plugs the "can't Tunnel to MC" one, but -
curiously - no others, so you can Tunnel to another Player's Home
Station. And although Compass Tricks naturally preclude trips to the
Crescent, they permit broken Homes.) Whether Tunnelling and Tricking
should be permitted as post-Move Piece manipulations, I'm not too
bothered, but I think a could of exceptions to the rule are - unless
pointless or awkward - quite healthy.

Kevan

--
kevan@s...
http://www.stormloader.com/kevan