Subject: MN: Year 3 Week 4 - Updated Proposals

From: dunx@l... (Duncan Ellis (Dunx))
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 06:55:16 GMT

{ Speaker's Comment:
Two updated Proposals for your edification. These new versions are still to
be voted on in Week 4.

Votes received on the previous versions have been discarded and must be
recast (those concerned having been notified privately as well). }

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 711 - Walking In The Night [Amendment]

I want to walk in the night!

In "Rule 1.13.1 - The Richard Whiteley Experience", replace:

Game Time 'skips' the time between 0000 and 0500, and this 'skip'
advances the day of the game time by one day. Thus, if Rushton's Turn
finished at Wednesday 2340 and Garden's Turn takes 40 minutes, then
Garden's Turn ends at Thursday 0520.

with

Game Time 'skips' the time between 0000 and 0500, and this 'skip'
advances the day of the game time by one day. Thus, if Rushton's Turn
finished at Wednesday 2340 and Garden's Turn takes 40 minutes, then
Garden's Turn ends at Thursday 0520. An exception to this 'skip' is 
the Action [Walking]. [Walking] can occur between 0000 and 0500.
Thus, if Rushton began [Walking] at Wednesday 2350, this Action would
end at Thursday 0020. The next non-[Walking] Action would begin at
0500.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 713 - Ever-Rolling Stream [Multiple]

1. Half the Clock [Amendment]

Reword the second paragraph of Rule 1.13.1 (The Richard Whiteley Experience)
to:-

Each Player's Turn has a default maximum duration of one hour. Whenever
a Player performs an Action or makes a Move, Game Time is advanced by
the duration of that Action or Move. If this should take the duration
of eir Turn so far beyond its maximum duration, the Turn becomes
Illegal.

{ A very, very necessary clarification - that the clock ticks as your Turn
progresses; if a Closed Station opens in half an hour and you wish to
Move there, it's possible to do things for thirty minutes then Move
legally. Current wordings are at best vague and at worst counter-
intuitive, on this score. }

2. Dry-Marker Pens from Hell [Amendment]

Reword Rule 1.13.3 (Carol Vorderman's Revenge) to:-

Any Action or the movement of the Player's Piece shall have a durationof
ten minutes of Game Time unless otherwise specified. Payment of Token
forfeits and receipt of Token bonuses shall be considered instantaneous,
that is having no duration. A Move of Pass or Timeout shall similarly have
no duration.

{ Trimming superfluity. }

3. Long Lunch [Action]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Duration: +0x00] Neut 1.7.x -x Bu
------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Player may perform the Action of "[Duration: +0x00]" to extend the
length of eir Turn - upon performing this Action, eir Turn's duration
is increased by 'x' hours.

{ As it stands, "[Game Time: +0x00]" puts the clock forward *and* extends
your Turn - if you do a two-hour one at noon, the clock goes forward to
two o'clock, and you can then perform an extra two hours of Actions,
leaving the clock at 4pm. Not good. }

4. Right Away [Repeal]

Repeal Rule 1.13.2 (Get a Move On) and remove the relevant Action from the
Ruleset.

{ I did consider leaving the "[Game Time: +0x00]" Action in, to allow
Players
to wind the clock forward without taking it as part of their Turn, but it
seemed a bit too superfluous. Particularly when there was that handy little
"[Waiting]" Action I came up with last Week - you can just extend the
duration of your Turn and wait for the whole of it, if you must...

The Waiting Proposal failed for being badly explained, anyway. There now
follows a reproposal of it. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dunx
--
Ceci n'est pas un .sig

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.eGroups.com - Simplifying group communications

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 10:04:27 -0000

> end at Thursday 0020. The next non-[Walking] Action would begin at

Forgive me if I miss a point, but - er - does this have any particular impact on the game, aside from slightly altering Game Time if someone performs a "[Walking]" Action in the run-up to midnight?

Under current Rules, the Play of "[Walking] Neasden (JL) [Gold Rush]" performed at ten to midnight would take fifty minutes and finish at 5:40am. Under the proposed Rule, the same Play would take fifty minutes and finish at 5:10am.

Being able to Walk at night is a nice enough image, and perfectly intuitive, but this implementation of it doesn't seem to achieve anything. Maybe it'd be workable with a "[Nightfall]" Action that prevents the next dark-skip and limits Players to Walking movement until 05:00am, or something.

Making things intuitive is fairly awkward and difficult to implement across the board, though. If I can Walk during the usually-avoided hours of darkness, why can't I play my Harmonica?

Tubas in the moonlight,

Kevan

--
kevan@d...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove