Subject: Re: 01 August Ruleset

From: David Lynch <david@d...>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 23:42:34 -0500 (CDT)

A few thoughts. Apologies in advance for any long-windedness.

> x.2 - Turn Phases
> 
> Multiple Actions are permitted, provided that there is only one
> example of a particular Action type made that Turn.

This needs a bit of clarification, in my opinion, as to what a "particular
Action type" is.

> x.5 - Timing is Everything
> 
> Saturdays and Sundays are ignored
> for the purposes of this rule, so that if a Player submits a Turn
> at 10am on Friday, the next Player has until 10pm on Monday to
> submit eir Turn. A Player may still submit eir Turn at the weekend,
> in which case the 36 hours start at 0000GMT Monday.

This could be shortened to something like "A Player's 36 hours do not
include time between 0000 GMT Saturday and 0000 GMT Monday, but e may take
eir turn during that time."

> x.1 - Moving
> Zone <x> +<x> Bk

Clarify how one figures <x>. (Or have we decided?)

> x.1 - Actions
> Allowable exchanges are:
> 10Br -> 1Si
> 1Si -> 10Br

We could just say that "The reverse of any Exchange listed below is also
acceptable," and save ourselves a line on each exchange.

> Move...

David's evil thought of the day: Use the actual times between the
stations for time, according to LUL.

Not-so-evil thought: Exchanges not at the start or end of a route cost 5
minutes for the first, 10 minutes for the second, and so on...

> x.1 - Glossary
> 
> interchange: An interchange station is one that has at least 3
> adjacent stations.

OK... let's try this... "An interchange station is one which has multiple
lines or branches thereof which do not all serve the same adjacent
stations." This would include, in my interpretation:

* Ones which are clearly interchange stations.
* Stations which are served by multiple lines, but at least one
terminates. (Barking, Ealing Broadway, Edgware Road [Circle/District/H&C])
* Stations with multiple branches of the same line where one terminates 
(Chalfont & Latimer, Woodford)

This would change the interchanges some from what are marked on the
post-JLE map I have (IE doesn't want to work for me right now to see the
Xoom map) as follows:
* Aldgate becomes an interchange station. (2nd case above)
* Kennington, Harrow-on-the-Hill, North Acton, Turnham Green,
Leytonstone, and Camden Town become interchange stations, by virtue of
having a branch split off between them and adjacent stations.
* Hight Street Kensington becomes an interchange station, because the
Edgware Road branch does not continue with the Circle.

Or we could just define it as what's on the map.

> terminus: A terminus station is one that has only one adjacent
> station.

...on the line?

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 21:00:17 +0100

> eir turn during that time."

I just cut+pasted this from the current ruleset. I will rewrite it at
some point (unless you want to do it).

> Clarify how one figures <x>. (Or have we decided?)

We decided that <x> would be the zone the move was finished at. I'll
update the ruleset sometime.

> acceptable," and save ourselves a line on each exchange.

It won't save any space in the GSD and the sentence is longer than the
extra space taken in the ruleset.

> stations for time, according to LUL.

Hmmm. I wonder if we could make this work. Some form of table or
program would be required to do the sums. I still don't want time, but
if we have it we could consider this.

> stations." This would include, in my interpretation:

Bit of a mouth full, but it does the job. I think some kind of
explanation would be needed along with the formal definition.

> terminates. (Barking, Ealing Broadway, Edgware Road
[Circle/District/H&C])

Ahhh, now I see what Riff was on about. I hadn't thought about that

> * Aldgate becomes an interchange station. (2nd case above)

I'm not sure Aldgate or Barking should be interchanges, but your
definition is so nice I can put up with it.

> Edgware Road branch does not continue with the Circle.

Interesting, let me play Holmes for a while. The maps I have don't
show that High Street Kensington is a terminus for some branches of
the District line (though not the Edgware Road branch), so either you
have a different map to me, or you've been there. Now I can't see any
reason why a map would incorrectly mark the Edgware Road branch as
terminating at HSK, so I conclude that you've been there.

But you aren't in Britain now (unless you've setup your computer up
wrong and work nights). So I hypothesize that you are either a) A
Briton living in the Americas or b) A North or South American who
went on holiday to London.

Now the fact you put "1 August" in the subject header suggests you are
not originally American as an American would use "August 1". You could
be from Canada/Cuba/Bolivia/Chilli if they write dates European style,
but I will conclude you are originally British. I think it is more
likely that an ex-pat would want to play MC than a random Canadian and
I doubt Cuba/Bolivia/Chilli have enough internet users to be
statistically significant.

Either way you spent some time waiting for a train at HSK (normal),
enough to ingrain the fact that the district line has a terminus
there. But not regularly otherwise you would know which branches
terminate there. Now you seem to have some degree of familiarlity
with the LU map, so I think you probably lived in London at some
point, but never had cause to regularly get off at HSK (as they say).

How did I do Watson?

Regardless, we can't make rules based on anything except what the map
looks like and all the maps I have don't show the terminus at HSK.

> > terminus: A terminus station is one that has only one
adjacent

Good point.

terminus: A terminus station is one that has exactly one adjacent
station on some line.

-- Snow
I wonder how many people get off in underground stations.

---

From: David Lynch <david@d...>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 19:19:10 -0500 (CDT)

> some point (unless you want to do it).

I could.

> update the ruleset sometime.

I could, if you want me to.

> extra space taken in the ruleset.

Or 10Br = 1Si. Also, if and/or when we add more, it would be easier than
having each one.

> if we have it we could consider this.

I was thinking to just label them on the map. Then you could do them
yourself, based on the route you took. (with tables or programs available
if you wanted them)

> definition is so nice I can put up with it.

Barking is on the official map as an interchange.

> terminating at HSK, so I conclude that you've been there.

OK then, time to play Moriarty to your Holmes. Actually, my point was that
it turns west south of HSK, while Circle turns east, and I worded it
oddly.

> point, but never had cause to regularly get off at HSK (as they say).

Not all that well, I'm afraid.

Native U. S. of A. resident of British extraction. (My father grew up near
Glasgow, and from somewhere near Manchester several generations back on
the other side of the family tree.) Try to get back regularly, and usually
hang around London for a day while I'm there. Used the non-American date
format because a.) this list is for a game about London, and b.) Our way
of putting things is, to be blunt, idiotic.~

> terminus: A terminus station is one that has exactly one adjacent

Exactly. I'd also say that you can only claim your terminus bonus if
you're on the line that terminates at that station.

---

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 06:30:34 +0200

Snow wrote (quoting David (Hi David, btw!)):
: > * Hight Street Kensington becomes an interchange station, because
: the
: > Edgware Road branch does not continue with the Circle.
: 
: Interesting, let me play Holmes for a while. The maps I have don't
: show that High Street Kensington is a terminus for some branches of
: the District line (though not the Edgware Road branch), so either you
: have a different map to me, or you've been there. Now I can't see any
: reason why a map would incorrectly mark the Edgware Road branch as
: terminating at HSK, so I conclude that you've been there.

I seem to remember a discussion on one of the relevant newsgroups, maybe uk.london.transport - nah, but something similar.
Anyways, there is something fishy about the District line, and HSK being a terminal for one of the sub-lines does ring a bell.

Ole
--
Ole Andersen
Brøndbyøster, Denmark
palnatoke@g...

The test of ahimsa is the absence of jealousy. The man whose heart never
cherishes even the thought of injury to anyone, who rejoices at the
prosperity of even his greatest enemy, that man is the bhakta, he is the
yogi, he is the guru of all. -Swami Vivekananda (1863-1902)

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 15:18:01 +0100

> > some point (unless you want to do it).

Sure, anything you want to put in the ruleset just post it here and if
nobody objects it'll go in. The same applies to anyone. Of course if
it involves time/possessions/charge/movement/nomic...etc expect a lot
of objections :-)

> I could, if you want me to.

It's only one line, it'll be easiest to write it straight into the
ruleset.

> Not all that well, I'm afraid.

Fair enough. It was a long shot, but worth it for the smug feeling I
would have had if I was right.

> you're on the line that terminates at that station.

Hmm. All the other bonuses are based on the station rather than the
position within the station. You can't be on a BR line, but, you can
still claim the bonus for a BR Station.

-- Snow
Hurrah. Sliders is back.