Subject: MN: Year 3 Week 2 Proposals

From: dunx@l... (Duncan Ellis (Dunx))
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 22:22:03 GMT

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNINGTON NOMIC

Proposals for Voting on in Week Two
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 686 - Special Rulesets Renumbering [Multiple]

- Add the following text to rule 0.2.10: "Special Rulesets are
divided into three types: (1) Variants, (2) MC on non-Underground
networks and (3) Other Games to be played on an MC board."

- The current contents of Part 2 of the Ruleset ("Special
Rulesets") are to undergo an extensive renumbering, being divided into -
Part 2 "Variants"
Part 3 "Turin '57: MC on other transport networks"
Part 4 "Other Games".

- Each Part of the Ruleset is to have a single defining Section,
numbered "0.0", "1.0", "2.0", "3.0" and "4.0" respectively, defining
what is
common to all of the entries in that Section: the actual special
rulesets contained within should begin their numbering at 2.1.1, 3.1.1
and 4.1.1 etc.
{Comment: giving the number of 0 so it goes before all other
rulings on the subject.}

Any future additional Special Rulesets are to be appended on the
end of the correct part of the Ruleset: for instance the "Czech Variant"
chess-type one and the "Spot the Ostrich" game, if their Proposals pass,
should be added to Part 4. And Ole's Copenhagen variant, should it ever
be passed and introduced, should be added to the end of Part 3 in the
next Section there.
The amendments and renumberings run as follows:

*Part 0, Section 0.0: Nomic Mechanics.
*Rule 0.0.0: Moving the Goalposts
This part of the Ruleset details how Proposals may be made to
affect the Ruleset itself, and related issues.
*Part 1, Section 1.0: Mornington Crescent.
*Rule 1.0.0: Mornington Crescent.
This is the "Standard" or "Vanilla" Ruleset for Mornington Nomic.
It is the basic ruleset for the game, and the basis for all other
Variants and Special Rulesets.

*Ruleset Part 2, Section 2.0: Variants.
*Rule 2.0.0: Definition of Normality
- Each Variant defines the differences between it and the Standard
MN Ruleset. All Rules of the Standard Ruleset are assumed to apply
unless declared otherwise.
{Comment: Renumbered from 2.1.1, slight rewording.}

Then the Variants start in the following order:

Section 2.1 - The Long Game. {Comment: giving it its rightful place
at the top of the list of variants.} (Renumbered from Section 2.5,
otherwise unchanged.)
Section 2.2 - Chalk Farm '84.
Section 2.3 - Finsbury Option.
Section 2.4 - Ruttsborough '58.
Section 2.5 - Spherical Projection. (Renumbered from 2.12)
Section 2.6 - Team Play.
Section 2.7 - Tournament Play. (Renumbered from 2.9)
Section 2.8 - San Francisco 1849. (Renumbered from 2.10)
Section 2.9 - Paranomasia. (Renumbered from 2.11)

All the other Special Rulesets are to be moved to the new Parts 3
and 4 of the Ruleset, and in some cases reworded. In the case of those
which were formerly included in Section 2.7, extensive rewording is to
take place as the Section is expanded into a collection of several
Sections each split into Rules,

*Ruleset Part 3, Section 3.0: "Mornington Crescent on other
transport networks".
*Rule 3.0.0 - Turin '57 Convention
Mornington Crescent may be played on other transport networks than
the London Underground.
Each "Turin '57" network must be defined in the following way:
(a) The transport network to be used.
(b) The Internet URL of a map of that network.
(c) All substitute map entities, Game States and special rules for
that particular network.
In the case of (c) above, the following must be defined:

(1) Goal - the victory station, equivalent to Mornington Crescent.
(2) Loop - a permanent Loop Trap station, equivalent to Dollis
Hill.
(3) Bank - an equivalent to Bank station on the Underground.
In the above three cases, any rules from the Vanilla Ruleset which
apply to these stations apply to the given alternatives instead.
(4) Lines, and Line Codes for all the Lines.

*Rule 3.0.1: Line and Station changes.

The following may also be defined, should a suitable equivalent
exist on the map of the alternative network:

(1) A Circle Line equivalent: any fully closed loop which is made
by lines on the map. If none is defined, Rules 1.8.5 (Circle Line
States) and Rule 1.7.4 (Open the Cutlery Drawer, Mrs Higgins) are
ignored, and any Actions and Possessions defined therein do not exist in
this ruleset, and any rules relating to "Quadrant 0" are ignored. If a
Circle Line equivalent is defined, the area inside is taken to be
Quadrant 0, and the area outside may or may not be divided into further
Quadrants: see (4) below.
{Comment: Quadrant 0 depends on the Circle Line rather than the
Meridian, so I've decided to keep this in the Special Rulesets.}

(2) A river, equivalent to the River Thames: if there is no river
or other body of water on the Map which is crossed by any of the Lines,
then Rule 1.8.3 (Bridges) is ignored, as is rule 2.2.2 (You Can't Swim)
in the event of a Chalk Farm '84 game being played on the network
(should sufficient features of the network be defined to permit this.)
{Comment: Again, a little addition which would be necessary if CF84
was ever played in a riverless game.}

(3) A Meridian (which may or may not be a Station.) If this exists,
Quadrants are superimposed on the Map in the same way as they are on the
London Underground (with the exception of rules about Quadrant 0, which
relate to the Circle Line.)
If there is no Meridian at all, then all Rules relating to Charge
are ignored, and no Quadrants exist in the Game (with the exception of
Quadrant 0 inside the Circle Line equivalent, if that is defined: the
area outside this is considered to be Quadrant 1 for the purpose of
placing used Tokens.)
If there is a Meridian which is not a Station, or if there is no
Meridian at all, then an alternative Station must be defined as a
Station where Narg Clamps may be removed: otherwise, any and all Rules
about Narg do not exist in the Game.
{Comment: otherwise Narg is impossible to get rid of. Also, keeping
the idea of Quadrant 0 as a Circle-defined thing and allowing the
placement of used Tokens on the board - as yet undefined in Quadrantless
games.}

(4) Station Categories. Equivalents must be supplied, if available,
for all categories of Station named in Rule 1.17.6. This may be a simple
translation (e.g "Nord" = "North" on a French map) or a substitute
category. Terminus, Interchange and Co-Situated stations are obvious
enough on the map.
Certain features of the Vanilla Ruleset which depend on Station
categories do not exist in the game if an equivalent to that Station
category cannot be defined.
- If no Holy Station exists in the game, then Rules 1.4.24 (The
Podume of Infinite Darkness), 1.7.29 (Collection Plate) and 1.11.5
(Sanctuary) are ignored, and any Actions and Possessions defined therein
do not exist. If there are no Holy Stations (as defined by the Vanilla
Ruleset or by a simple translation of the words which make a Station
Holy), no equivalent may be specified.
{Comment: It doesn't make sense claiming Sanctuary at a Terminus
just because no Stations are Holy under the technical definition...}
- If it is not possible to find an equivalent for all five types of
station at which Hats may be purchased (A-Z, British Rail, Compass,
Terminus, Verdant) and no substitute category can be used, then Hats and
any Rules and Actions relating to them do not exist in the game, apart
from Silly Hats (and Hard Hats, should any Construction Lines be
present.)
{Comment: otherwise there is no point in Hats, if you can't cash in
all five.}
- "British Rail" shall be considered to be replaced by the local
inter-urban transport network. If there are no connections between the
nominated map and the local inter-urban network, then another station
category must be found to house the Emporium (Rule 1.4.18), allow the
player to remove Velocity Bombs (Rule 1.7.43) and purchase an equivalent
to the BR Hat (if Hats exist): and Rule 1.7.9 is ignored.
- If there are not a sufficient number of Park, Green and other
Plant Stations on the map, either (a) an alternative Cascade to the
Parks and Greens Cascade must be defined, or (b) no Cascade exists, and
Rule 1.8.2 (Parks and Greens Cascade) is ignored for the duration of the
Game.
{Comment: See Chateau d'Eau for the reason why.}
- High and Hill stations are ignored, and the [Freewheeling] Action
does not exist in the game, if there are no defined by containing the
strings "High" or "Hill" or a direct translation of either term. No
equivalent may be specified which is not a direct translation.

*Rule 3.0.2: Zone, Quadrant and Other Miscellaneous Changes

- If there is neither Meridian or Circle Line, then (instead of the
Rule about placing used Tokens in a different Quadrant) Tokens which are
used to perform Actions may not be placed on any Station which the
Actioning Player would be capable of reaching with a Standard Move at
maximum LV on eir next Turn.
{Comment: this allows the placing of used Tokens on the board, and
keeps the principle that they should be in a different region from the
Player who played them.}

If no Zones are defined on the Map, then all Rules relating to
Zones, Zone Passes and Tithes are ignored, and Players shall gain a
single Bronze Token for any Turn which is not a Passed Turn.

If Zones are defined, then definitions for the Zones to be used
must be supplied for those Rules which relate to Zones. In particular,
the cost of Tithes and Zone Passes may be adjusted accordingly with the
number of Zones.

Manoeuvres and Gambits on the London Underground do not apply to
any Turin '57 game, unless Stations with the exact same names are
present on the Map. Other Manoeuvres may be defined in the standard ways
(either by definition during a Game or by acceptance as a Proposal),
each specific to the corresponding network, and should be listed in the
corresponding Ruleset. Manoeuvres which rely on specific Quadrants or
Zones, rather than Stations, do not apply unless defined separately in
the particular Ruleset: Manoeuvres which rely on specific Station
Categories are valid provided that the exact categories are present on
the new Map (a replacement category will not do, unless it is a simple
translation.)
{Comment: A bit of a clearup needed there. This might do it.}

Section 3.1: Chateau d'Eau: Paris Metro Guidebook.

*Rule 3.1.1: Chateau d'Eau
Mornington Crescent may be played on the Paris Metro.
Map: http://www.paris.org/metro/gifs/metro.map.jpg
Goal: Chateau d'Eau
Bank: Hotel De Ville
Loop Trap: Miromesnil
Line Codes: The number of each Line is considered to be its Line
Code.
Circle Line Equivalent: formed by two lines, Lines 2 and 6,only on
the Line Segments between Nation and Charles-De-Gaulle Etoile.
River: The Seine
Meridian: None. Narg Clamps may be removed at "Cite".
Quadrants: "Quadrant 0" inside the Circle, "Quadrant 1" outside. A
player on the Quadrant boundary must place used Tokens in a position
that e could not reach with a Standard Move at 10 LV.
Zones: none defined.

*Rule 3.1.2: Swimming
A player may cross the River when the Bridges are Up by playing a
[Swimming] Pre-Move Action. This acts in every way like the [Walking]
action, and the Token costs and time taken are the same, with the
addition that all Papery or Edible Possessions held by that Player must
be discarded.

*Rule 3.1.3: RER et l'Option de Finsbury

The RER lines on the Map are considered the equivalent of British
Rail lines, and any Metro stations they come into contact with are
considered equivalent to British Rail stations for the purposes of
housing Emporia and purchasing Hats.
Finsbury Option rules applied to Chateau d'Eau allow all RER
stations on the Metro map to be included in the playing board, and
Players may move along the RER lines with Line Codes of A, B, C and D:
for those RER lines that point off the map, the last station before it
goes off the map is considered a Terminus in all ways.

*Rule 3.1.4: Station Classifications

Station classifications are as on the London Underground, but
translated into French.
"Nord", "Sud", "Est", "Ouest" = North, South, East, West = Compass
Stations.
"Parc" and "Vert" = Parks and Greens, and "Jardin" makes up Gardens
to complete the list of Verdant stations. "Tuileries" is considered
Verdant. {Comment: because it's a very famous garden.}
"Maison", "Ville" or "Cite" are Populated.
"Rue" or "Boulevard" (Bd.) = A to Z.
"Saint" (St), "Croix" or "Eglise" are Holy Stations.
Terminus, Interchange and suburban British Rail equivalent (RER)
connections are all obvious on the map.

*Rule 3.1.5: Cascade des Rues et Boulevards.

Due to the fact that there are far fewer Park or Green stations on
the Paris Metro than on the London Underground, any and all of the
standard rules about Parks and Greens Cascades do not apply. An
alternative of a Streets and Roads Cascade ("Rue" and "Boulevard")
replaces these rules and applies instead, being terminated by a move to
a "Place" station.

*Section 3.2: We're Bound for Botany Bay (not quite): Sydney
Guidebook.

*Rule 3.2.1: Macdonaldtown
Mornington Crescent may be played on the transport network of
Sydney.
Map: http://people.enternet.com.au/~cbrnbill/maps/sydney.htm
Goal: Macdonaldtown
Bank: Town Hall
Loop Trap: Rooty Hill
Line Codes:
SR: Southern Line (green)
WR: Western Line (yellow)
NR: Northern Line (red)
IR: Illawarra Line (blue)
BR: Bankstown Line (brown)
CR: Cumberland Line (purple)
MR: Monorail (while)
LR: Light Rail (light blue)
TZ: Taronga Zoo Ferry (blue)
MF: Manly Ferry (light blue)
WF: Watson's Bay Ferry (green)
PF: Paramatta-Meadowbank Ferry (yellow)
DF: Darling Harbour Ferry (purple)
NF: Mosman-Neutral Bay Ferry (red)
HF: Hunter's Hill Ferry (brown)

Circle Line equivalent: none {Comment: just pointing this out.}
River Thames equivalent: Sydney Harbour. Ferry stops which share a
name with a rail station (e.g. Milson's Point) are considered
Interchanges between the rail and ferry lines.
Meridian: Central Station. This is considered to be in none of the
four Quadrants.
{Comment: either that or all four, and having it in no quadrant has
a historical precedent - MN before the invention of Quadrant 0.
Zones: none defined.
Emporium Shops: Interchanges (as there is no inter-urban railway
link mentioned on the Map.)
Station classifications: As on the London Underground. Interchange
Hats are claimable instead of British Rail Hats, and the "Visiting" and
"Late Arrival" Actions do not exist.

*Rule 3.2.2: Sydney Gambits

All London Underground Manoeuvres are valid on the Sydney transport
system, provided that stations of identical names exist. The Trellis
Roundhouse Gambit is legal, provided that none of the Stations used are
within 6 Stations of the Meridian (by the shortest possible route.)
{Comment: to make its implementation similar to the current
implementation, given that there is no Quadrant 0 to keep the moves
apart in this game.}
The following Manoeuvres also exist:
The City Tourist (2 red, 4 blue, 3 green): Exhibition Centre ->
Museum
-> Circular Quay

The PaulWay Arrival Gambit (1 black, 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue, 1
bronze,
1 silver): Hornsby -> Central -> Stanmore

The Olympic Tourist (1 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze): Central ->
Olympic
Park -> Taronga Zoo

The Danger Man Attack (6 Red, 4 Blue, 1 Silver): King's Cross ->
Redfern -> Mount Druitt

*Section 3.3: Brighton & Hove Guidebook
*Rule 3.3.1: Oh We Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside
Mornington Crescent may be played on the Brighton & Hove bus
transport system.
Map URL: http://members.xoom.com/asabove/metro.gif
Goal : The Crescent (49)
Bank : Bingo Hall (1)
Loop : Lark Hill (5)
Circle Line Equivalent : Formed by two lines - Line 5 and Line 7,
the
Line Segments between George Street and Churchill Square only.
River : None
Line Codes : 1, 5, 7, 25, 49
Meridian: The median point of the Map.
Zones : None
Quadrants : 1-4, marked on Map; no Quadrant Zero despite
the presence of a Circle Line. {Comment: As the original Proposer of the
variant intended: e stated that there was no Quadrant Zero, so I'm
holding to that.}

*Rule 3.3.2: Special Rules

- Stations may be referred to as "Stops".
- Map abbreviations such as "Rd" and "Gdns" should be read
unabbreviated.
- Holy Hats take the place of Compass Hats.
- A Shop Stop is one with the string "Shop", "Asda", "Co-op",
"C&A", "Sainsburys", "Somerfield", "Texaco" or "Waitrose" in its name.
- In Rule 1.4.18 (The Emporium), "British Rail Station" should be
read as "Shop Stop", although "Edible" Possessions may be bought at
Refectory. "British Rail Coffee" becomes "Styrofoam-Flavoured Coffee".
- Certain loops of track may only be traversed in one direction, as
indicated by arrows around that loop. Moves which involve traversing any
Line Sections in the wrong direction are Invalid.
- Certain Stops may only be accessed in one direction, as indicated
by an arrow directly next to the Stop. If a Move ends at such a Stop
having entered from the wrong direction, or begins at such a Stop and
leaves in the wrong direction, it is Invalid.
- Where a Stop is "not served Sundays", it is treated as Closed all
day Sunday.
- Hardwick Road counts as a Terminus Stop. A Move which passes
through Hardwick Road is Invalid.
- "Palace Pier" is a Stop with a Line Code of "N/A", connected to
no other Stops. It may be Walked to from Sea Life Centre (just as Sea
Life Centre may be walked to from Palace Pier), but only during Peak
Hours.
- A Player may perform the ten-minute neutral Action of "[Playing
Fruit Machines]", provided that eir Piece is situated at Palace Pier
during Peak Hours. This Action costs one Bronze Token. After submitting
eir GSD, the Actioning Player should roll a six-sided die to determine
eir prize - this prize should be added to that Player's Token balance by
the next Player to take eir Turn. If the next Player takes eir Turn
before the die result arrives in the Lounge, no prize is given.
Prize: 1-2 = Nothing, 3 = 1 Silver, 4 = 1 Gold, 5 = 3 Silvers, 6 =
2 Golds.

*Ruleset Part 4, Section 4.0: Other Games.
*Rule 4.0.0: Non-MC Games
Other games than MC may be played on the London Underground (or
equivalent network.) The games in this Section are defined as being
non-MC games: therefore, there is no Goal Station, no Action of [Opening
MC], moves to Mornington Crescent do not win the Game, and Mornington
Crescent Station is considered to be (1) open all the time, and (2) a
normal Station like any other.

The victory conditions in each game shall be defined in the Special
Ruleset pertaining to that game.
Other rules of the game of Mornington Crescent apply as normal
unless contradicted by a Rule in this Ruleset.

*Section 4.1: Capture the Flag

*Rule 4.1.1: Capture the Flag
"Capture the Flag" is a team game: therefore all rules of the "Team
Play" Special Ruleset also apply to this game. Specific exceptions to
this are that the number of Players in each team must be agreed on
before the first move of the Game is played, and that the minimum number
of Players in a team is one (in which case the game is an individual
game rather than a team game).
For each Team in the Game there shall exist a Flag, which is
considered Indestructable, and may not be given to another Player on the
same Team by means of the [Giving <Possession> to <Player>] Action.
A Flag may be in the possession of a Player (in eir Luggage Rack),
or may rest at a Station (as if it were a Token Stack.) Either way, its
presence is noted as "Flag (T)" where (T) is a letter or set of letters
that
are clearly and unambiguously an abbreviation of the colour of the Team
who owns it. {Comment: what about a Black team and a Blue team in the
same game? Both abbreviate to B...}
A Flag may be Shunted as if it were a Token Stack or a Player.

*Rule 4.1.2: An Englishman's Home...

In addition to the normal conditions, no Station in Zones 5, 6 or 7
may be a Home Station.
There is only one Home Station for each entire Team, chosen by the
first member of that Team to declare Home: this is known as the Team HQ.
All Players on that Team may, and must, declare that Station as their
Home Station in their first non-Passed Turn.

*Rule 4.1.3: Capturing and Dropping

If a Player has passed through or moved to a Station containing a
Flag during eir Turn, e may perform the Action "[Collecting Flag (T)]"
to place the Flag of the specified Team in eir Luggage.
If a Player is carrying a Flag, e may perform the post-Move Action
of "[Flag (T) on <Station>]" to place the Flag of the specified Team at
a Station, where "<Station>" is any Station which the Actioning Player's
Piece has passed through this Turn, or started or ended its Move at.
A Player carrying a Flag in eir Luggage at the start of eir Turn
may not make any Special Moves, or play any Post-Move Actions that alter
eir Piece position.
*Rule 4.1.4a: Winning - The Easy Way.

Either this Rule, or Rule 4.1.4b, but not both, may apply to the
game (at the Speaker's discretion, to be announced at the start of the
game.)
If, at the end of a Player's turn, a Flag belonging to one Team
rests at the Team HQ of another Team, the Team whose HQ is involved is
declared the Winners.

*Rule 4.1.4b: Winning - The Hard Way.

Either this Rule, or Rule 4.1.4a, but not both, may apply to the
game (at the Speaker's discrection, to be announced at the start of the
Game.)
If, at the end of any Player's turn, the Flag of one Team rests at
the HQ of another Team, then the Flag in question is removed from the
game, as are all Pieces, Tokens and Possessions of the Team which has
lost its Flag (with the exception of any Flags carried by Players on
that Team: these are placed on the HQs of the Teams they belong to): and
parentheses are put around the names of the Players to indicate that
they may take no further part in the Game.
When there is only one Flag remaining in the Game, its Team is
declared the Winners.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 687 - Actions Against Other Players [Multiple]

*Rename Section 1.10 to " Actions that target other Players"

*Rule 1.10.0: Target Practice
This Section concerns Actions played by one Player that affect
another Player directly.
Any Action which targets another Player in this manner may be
performed only (1) if the Actioning Player shares a Station and Line
with the Target Player at the end of the Actioning Player's Move, and
(2) as the first Post-Move Action (thus, only one may be performed per
Turn), unless explicitly specified otherwise in the Rule defining that
Action.
{Comment: Oh dear, another of my explanatory "Rule 0" ideas... more
to come}

*Add this Rule to the Ruttsborough Ruleset: "Rule 1.10.0 does not
apply: actions that target other Players may be performed at any time in
the Post-Move phase of the Turn."

Rule 1.10.3: amend the first sentence to "If, after eir Move, a
Player shares a Station and Line with another Player, e may perform the
Action of [Dead-End Shunting <Player> to <Station>], where <Station> is
a Terminus which is less than <n> stations away, where <n> is the
Actioning Player's LV."
{Comment: a semantic change mostly, but a Dead-End Shunt should
IMHO only be able to happen if the shunt causes the player to crash into
the Terminus with some force - i.e. if the Terminus is *less* than the
maximum Shunting distance away: otherwise, the Piece comes to a stop
exactly at the platform (i.e. a standard Shunt) rather than crashing
into a dead end.}
Renumber the Rules about Spanging (1.7.35), Shadowing (1.7.25),
Velocity Bombs (1.7.43), and the Clamps (Spoon (1.7.4), Narg (1.4.27),
Knid (not sure), Green (1.7.44)and Freem (1.4.26)) to be in Section
1.10. Also the rule about Knerdling (not sure of the Rule number), which
should be with the Clamps. The Action Table must be adjusted accordingly
to reflect references to the new Rule numbers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 688 - Consider Yourself Huffed [Enactment]

A Player who shares a Station and Line with another Player at the
end of eir Move may perform the Action "Huffing <Player>": the target
Player gains a Huff Clamp immediately. A Huff Clamp is an Indestructable
Possession.
A player carrying a Huff Clamp may not make any Standard Move that
does not leave em closer to the Station at which e commenced eir Turn on
the Turn immediately prior to being Huffed.
A Huff Clamp may be removed by use of the [De-Huffing] Action,
provided the Player is situated at the Station at which e commenced eir
Turn on the Turn prior to receiving the Huff Clamp.

New Action: Huffing (20-minute Post-Move, cost -2 Red and -1 Green)
New Possession: Huff Clamp (Indestructable)
New Action: De-Huffing (10-minute Post-Move, -1 Black)

{Comment: This can be merely annoying or disastrous - it might be
used just to deny a Manoeuvre by forcing a backtrack, or it might be
used against someone who has just Wilded from Amersham to Morden with
the Bridges up... Should be fun. Huffing is defined in the EM a "an
attacking block which leaves the person in the same place but facing in
the other direction" - hence it forces the Player back where e came
from. Note that the movement does not have to be direct... a roundabout
route is possible. This is intentional.}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 689 - Garbage [Multiple]

Reword Rule 1.7.39 (Ecofriendly) to:-

A Player may perform the Neutral Action of "[Recycling <Thing>]" to
recycle something in their possession - "Thing" may be a single Token,
or a non-Indestructable Possession.

If a single Token is Recycled, the Actioning Player gains one Green
Token. If a Possession listed in Rule 1.4.18 (The Emporium) is
Recycled, the Actioning Player gains Green Tokens equal to half the
Bronze Token value of the Possession (rounded down).

Recycling is considered a Token Exchange Action, unless a Possession
is being Recycled.

And adjust the relevant Action to read:-

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Recycling <Thing>] Neut 1.7.39 5 Varies Varies
------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 690 - Magno-Clamps [Action]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Magno-Clamping <Player>] Neut 1.7.x -1 Gr
[Attracting] Neut 1.7.x Varies
[Magno-Gone] Neut 1.7.x
------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Player may perform the Action of "[Magno-Clamping <Player>]", where
<Player> is a Player who shares a Station and Line with the Actioning
Player. A Magno-Clamped Player gains a "Magno-Clamp" Possession.
Magno-Clamps are Indestructable Possessions.

If a Player is carrying a Magno Clamp, e attracts Metallic Tokens from
eir surroundings; e may perform the neutral Action of "[Attracting]" to
exert this ability - upon performing the Action, e may take one Metallic
Token from each Player or Token Stack which is less than three Stations
away from eir Piece.

However, a Player carrying a Magno Clamp will find it hard to let go of
any Metallic Tokens e has - if a Player is carrying a Magno Clamp, e may
not perform any Actions which involve the expenditure of Metallic
Tokens, may not Drop or Hoard Metallic Tokens, and Metallic Tokens may
not be taken from eir Possession by other Players.

If a Player carrying a Magno Clamp plays a Move which involves passing
through or leaving a Station occupied by another Player carrying a
Magno Clamp, that Move is Invalid.

A Player may destroy a single Magno Clamp which e is carrying, by
performing the Action of "[Magno-Gone]". Upon performing this Action,
the Actioning Player loses four Metallic Tokens of eir choice, if e
has any.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 691 - Time Passes... [Action]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Waiting] Neut 1.7.x Varies
------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Player may perform the Action of "[Waiting]" to spend part of their
Turn merely watching time pass - the duration of this Action can be any
period the Actioning Player wishes, between five minutes and one day.

{ Comments : Without this, there is reasonable incentive to perform all
manner of superfluous Actions just to fill out the rest of your allotted
hour, if you're keen to get Game Time to a certain point by the end of
your Turn. Not, I feel, a good thing. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 692 - A Special Need [Multiple]

{ As raised on the mailing list - something that firmly establishes the idea
of a "Special Move", making Wilding and similar Actions much easier to
keep track of, and Move Validity rather simpler. }

1. The Soul of Wit [Amendment]

Move the last paragraph of Rule 1.5.0 (Valid Moves) to Rule 1.5.1 (Keep the
Piece), and reword Rule 1.5.0 to:-

"The following Moves are possible in the Game of Mornington Crescent:

* The name of any Station on the Map
* The word "Pass"
* The word "Timeout"

All Moves are Valid by default, unless a Rule or combination of Rules
declares them to be Invalid. A Move of "Pass" or "Timeout", however, is
*always* Valid.

Certain events permit Players to make Special Moves to a given
destination - these Moves do not pass through Stations, but may stillbe
made Invalid by other Rules. In addition, a Player's LV is reduced to
zero after making a Special Move.

(When a Rule says that something 'permits a Special Move', this means
that it permits the current Player to make a Special Move during the
current Turn.)"

2. Getting There [Enactment, as 1.6.2]

When a Player makes a Move to a Station, that Station must be at a
distance of 'x' Stations, where 'x' is eir Line Velocity - if it is
closer or further, e cannot get there at that speed, and such a Move is
Invalid.

When making a Special Move, however, an incorrect Line Velocity will not
make a Move Invalid.

3. Golly [Amendment]

In Rule 1.4.16 (Playing with Food), replace the Marmalade Sandwich's special
effect with:-

When a Player performs the Action "[Eating Marmalade Sandwich]", a
Special Move to Paddington is permitted.

4. Right of Way [Amendment]

Reword the first paragraph of Rule 1.7.10 (Walk the Walk) to:-

A Player may perform the pre-Move Action of "[Walking]" to permit a
Special Move to any Station within Walking Distance.

5. Strile, Friend, Strile [Amendment]

Reword Rule 1.7.12 (Basic Striles) to:-

If a Player's Line Velocity is six or more, e may perform a Strile via
the pre-Move Action of "[Striling]"; this permits em to make a Special
Move to any Strilable Station.

A Station is said to be Strilable if it has a Token Stack, and if that
Token Stack is identical to the Stack at the Player's current Piece
location.

6. Stubthumper [Amendment]

Reword Rule 1.7.33 (Stubbery) to:-

If a Player owns the Ticket Stub for the Station eir Piece is situated
at, e may perform the pre-Move Action "[Stub Link]" - this permits em
to make a Special Move to any other Station which e has a Ticket Stub
for.

7. Of Borneo [Amendment]

Reword the second paragraph of Rule 1.11.1 (Born to be Wild) to:-

A Player may perform the Action of "[Wild]" to permit a Special Move to
any Wild Station.

8. Paintball's Going Home [Amendment]

Reword Rule 1.12.4 (Going Home) to:-

A Player may performs the pre-Move Action of "[Home]" or "[Home:
<Station>]"; both of these permit a Special Move to eir Home Station.

9. Mustn't... Repeal... [Amendment]

Reword Rule 2.2.1 (Terminal Velocity) to:-

If, at the start of eir Turn before any other Player Actions a Player
has an LV of 10 or more, and e does not (and is not forced to by any
other Rule) reduce it below 10 before eir Move, e may make a Special
Move to any Terminus which e shares a Line with, provided that reaching
it would not involve a change of Line Direction (this option is in
addition to the standard Moves available through eir natural
LV-dependent Piece Movement and any Special Moves available).

10. Just Drop Me At The End Of The Road [Amendment]

Reword Rule 2.3.2 (Home Isn't Where The Start Is)) to:-

When a Player performs the "[Home:]" Action, it permits a Special Moveto
any Station which shares a Quadrant and Line with that Player's Home
Station.

{ MC exception no longer required, since you can't Special Move to a Closed
Station. }

11. Whose Line Is It Anyway? [Amendment]

In Rule 1.5.11 (Changing Line), replace "A Piece Move that involves a change
of Line" with "A non-Special Move that involves a change of Line".

12. Loose Ends [Amendments]

To the start of Rules 1.8.1 and 1.8.6, add the paragraph "This Rule is
closed for repair - the following paragraphs should be treated as if
they do not appear in the ruleset. This paragraph will remove itself
from the Ruleset at the end of Week Four, at which point Kevan will lose
ten Kudos."

{ I'd rather just close off the Loops rather than attempt to bring them in
Line, and having the Proposal fail for doing it in an unpopular way; I'll
be proposing fixes either for this Week or next. There's a bit of a stick
there to encourage me to get around to it. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 693 - But No Taxi [Action]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Huffing <Player>] Post 1.4.27
------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Player may perform the Action of "[Huffing <Player>]", where <Player>
is a Player who shares a Station and Line with the Actioning Player.
This Action may only be performed as the first Action of a Player's
Post-Move Action Phase.

Upon performing this Action, the Actioning Player may select any number
between zero and 'x' (where 'x' is equal to eir LV, plus the LV of the
Huffed Player) - both the Actioning and Huffed Player's LVs are then set
to this value.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

{ Speaker's Comment: I find it fairly incredible that we have two totally
different Proposals for Huffing this Week... weird. }

Dunx
--
Ceci n'est pas un .sig

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com