Subject: Re: MN: Re: Reactivation

From: riffraff@n...
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 15:55:36 -0500

>> Now, does this mean that we have to discuss which Games to play? Or
>is Mornomic dead?
>
>Not dead, just resting.

Me too. :)

>
>Kevan said something shortly before Mornomic went to sleep. That MN
>should move away from the Nomic side and start a Ruleset that should
>become static.

I'll second that.

>
>IMO the current Ruleset is too bulky for sensible play. I would favour
>a much slimmer Ruleset. I would dump everything from Mornomic other
>than "a game played on an underground map with MC as the winning
>station" unless it definitly helps the game and start from there.

Agreed, there certainly is a lot that could be trimmed. A lot of the more
complicated Possessions, for instance. IMHO most of the elements that turn
the game into more of a "pretend you're travelling on the Tube" game rather
than a regular (albeit complicated) board game, can be removed... S'pose I
should go see what's actually changed since I last played...

>> Ahhh.. and a totally OffTopic question: do any of you know Extreme
>Programming?
>
>No, but you've grabbed my attention. What is Extreme Programming?

Sounds familiar, but I can't bring it to mind.

>
>Snow
>-Longer than a piece of string.

--Riff
-Bigger than a breadbox

"I'm a non-local quantum event - I exist at _all_ points in space and time!"
--Riff

---

From: "Kevan " <kevan@s...>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 10:17:47 -0000

>station" unless it definitly helps the game and start from there.

Mm, two ways to go, really - we can either sit down and try to make a 
fitting replacement for the existing Ruleset (keeping the basic 
mechanics, trimming extranea and writing a snappy and legible set of 
rules) or detonate the whole lot and start afresh (maybe making the 
game more word-based than physical, or whatever, taking a completely 
new tack).

The former appeals more to me, I think, although it would mean, for 
sanity's sake, dropping the "Nomic" side of things and establishing a 
ruleset via informal discussion (with one person acting as scribe, I 
suppose). "This week we're going to discuss Blocking."

Ultimately we'd produce a concise, comprehensible ruleset, as user-
friendly as something you might find packaged with a boardgame; from 
there, future ruleset amendment and expansion (not that there'd be 
much) would be along the lines of a slow-but-sure IMCS-style review 
board, I suppose, with new Actions and fixes to old ones maybe 
creeping in every few months. Hm.

(If anyone mourns the loss of Nomickery and feels the urge to get 
back into it, incidentally, I might recommend the DNA-based Genomic 
(http://www.crosswinds.net/~genomic) or cleverly-automated Unanomic 
(http://www.ravenblack.net/~unanomic), both going rather strong and 
still in early-ish days.)

Kevan

--
kevan@s...
http://www.stormloader.com/kevan
"Foot-and-a-half max. We could keep it in the breadbin."

---

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 21:53:55 +0200

Kevan wrote:

: The former appeals more to me, I think, although it would mean, for 
: sanity's sake, dropping the "Nomic" side of things and establishing a 
: ruleset via informal discussion (with one person acting as scribe, I 
: suppose). "This week we're going to discuss Blocking."

Well, that *could* be implemented in a Nomic, so the Speaker chose a theme for discussion and proposals.

: 
: Ultimately we'd produce a concise, comprehensible ruleset, as user-
: friendly as something you might find packaged with a boardgame; from 
: there, future ruleset amendment and expansion (not that there'd be 
: much) would be along the lines of a slow-but-sure IMCS-style review 
: board, I suppose, with new Actions and fixes to old ones maybe 
: creeping in every few months. Hm.
: 
: (If anyone mourns the loss of Nomickery and feels the urge to get 
: back into it, incidentally, I might recommend the DNA-based Genomic 
: (http://www.crosswinds.net/~genomic) or cleverly-automated Unanomic 
: (http://www.ravenblack.net/~unanomic), both going rather strong and 
: still in early-ish days.)

Both look nice. Especially nice is it to see the jetsam and flotsam of various net games - both players and ideas.

Ole