Subject: MN: Year 3 Week 9 Proposals

From: MN Speaker <speaker@d...>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 01:04:11 +0100

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNINGTON NOMIC

Proposals for Voting on in Week Nine
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 784 - Holding Stations [Multiple]

Amend Rule 1.14.3 (Token Dropping) such that its final paragraph reads
thus:

"A Player may not place a Token on a Stack if it already has six Tokens
in it, unless the Stack is at Mornington Crescent, Seven Sisters or
Euston."

Amend Rule 1.10.1 (A Shunting We Will Go) such that this paragraph:

"Stacks of Tokens may be Shunted as though they were Players. This is
performed in the usual way; the Name of the Stack being 'Token Stack'.
It is illegal to shunt Token Stacks to Stations which already have Token
Stacks on them."

reads thus:

"Stacks of Tokens may be Shunted as though they were Players. This is
performed in the usual way; the Name of the Stack being 'Token Stack'.
It is illegal to shunt Token Stacks to Stations which already have Token
Stacks on them. A Token Stack of more than 6 Tokens can not be Shunted."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 785 - Turner's Declension [Action]

Rule 1.7.x - Turner's Declension

If a Player's Line Velocity is six or more, e may perform a Turner's
Declension via the pre-Move Action of "[Declension]"; this permits em
to make a Special Move to any Declensable Station.

A Station is said to be Declensable, if it has a Token Stack, and if that
Token Stack has one less Token than the Stack at the Player's current
Piece location.

Multiple Declensions can be performed in succession. The Actioning Player
receives the bottom Token of each Token Stack so moved to.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Declension to <Station>] Pre 1.7.x varies

{Comment:

Thank You to Hugo Rune.}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 786 - More better unique [Amendment]

Make the Actions [Attracting], [Busking], [Catching Pigeon], [Dead-End
Shunting <Player> to <Station>], [Freeming <Player>], [Greening <Player>],
[Knidding <Player>], [Magno-Clamping <Player>], [Narging <Player>], and
[Toffing <Player>] Singular Actions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 787 - Alchemy [Enactment, Ruttsborough]

New
Rule 2.4.x - Alchemy

If a Player Shunts a Token Stack to a Station occupied by another Token
Stack, e may perform the Action "[Alchemy]".

When Alchemy is performed, the Tokens of the two Token Stacks merge on
each level of the Stacks, bottom Token with bottom Token, second Token
with seconnd Token and so on.

If the merged Tokens are identical, they become a Gold Token.
If the merged Tokens are not identical, they become the Token
alphabetically right after the un-Shunted Token.
If the merged Token Stacks are of uneven height, the surplus Tokens are
unaffected.

For the purpose of this Rule, the alphabetical list of Tokens is considered
a loop, with the first kind of Token coming immediately after the last.

{
Comment:

Today (June 4), the Tokens available are: Bk-Bu-Br-Go-Gr-Re-Si

So if ReGrReReReRe was Shunted to BkBkBkGrBr, and Alchemy performed, the
resulting Token Stack would be: BuBuBuReGoRe.

}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 788 - Speed Crazy [Action]

New
Rule 1.8.x - Speed Crazy

A Player may perform the Action of "[Speed Craze]" to
put such a Craze into effect.

While a Speed Craze is in effect, the Action [LV-X] is Invalid, unless
the Player taking eir Turn has performed a "[Craze Sidestep]"
Action during that Turn.

A Player may perform the Action of "[Terminating Craze]" to end a
Speed Craze, provided that eir piece is situated at a
High or Hill Station and eir LV is 10.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Speed Craze] Pre 1.8.x -3 Gr
[Craze Sidestep] Pre 1.8.x -3 Bk
[Terminating Craze] Post 1.8.x

{Comment:

This does not affect the [Radio Clamp <ID> LV-X] Action.

}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 789 - And the Smell of It... [Action]

New
Rule 1.7.x - And the Smell of It...

A Player may perform a Pre-Move Action of "[Taxiplane to <Station>]",
where <Station> is defined as an Airport Interchange, provided e is
at an Airport Interchange.

When a Player performs the Action "[Taxiplane to <Station>]", eir LV is
set to zero, and a Special Move to <Station> is allowed.

Insert in Action Table
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Taxiplane to <Station>] Pre 1.7.x -1 Gr -1 Bk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 790 - These Tight Skirts Slow Me Down [Amendment]

Amend Rule 1.13.3 (Carol Vorderman's Revenge) to:

The Movement of the Player's Piece shall have a duration of ten minutes of
Game Time for every four stations (or part thereof) moved through plus five
minutes for every change of Line. In mathematical terms (divisions being
rounded down):

Duration = ((Stations / 4) + 1) * 10 + (Line_Changes) * 5

For instance, a move from Lambeth North to Paddington would have a duration
of ((9/4)+1)*10 = (2+1)*10 = 30 minutes if moving on the Bakerloo, and
((7/4)+1)*10 + (2)*5 = (1+1)*10 + 10 = 30 minutes if moving via the Jubilee
(changing at Charing Cross) and Circle (changing at Baker Street).

Actions have a duration of ten minutes of Game Time unless otherwise
specified.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 791 - UnderfFlourished [Multiple]

{ Reproposing the fFrobisher fFlourish, this time leaving Golds untouched
and distributing Tokens a little more evenly. }

1. The fFrobisher fFlourish [Action]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[fFrobisher fFlourish] Neut 1.7.x -5 Bu
------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Player may perform the Action of "[fFrobisher fFlourish]" to
redistribute all the Tokens currently being carried by Players. After
submitting a Turn containing this Action, the Actioning Player should
roll six dice, each with a number of sides equal to the number of
Active Players in the Game.

E must then perform the following calculations and post a summary of
their results to the relevant Game Lounge.

Firstly, all Players lose all of their non-Gold Tokens; these are
combined in a Pool.

Each die roll should then be converted to a Player's name, according to
their position in the Playing Order (ignoring Inactive Players). For
example, a die roll of three indicates the third Active Player in the
Player Order.

The following table is then referenced to determine what share of the
Tokens from the Pool are given to each Player. "1" indicates that the
Player receives a quarter (rounded down) of the relevantly-coloured
Tokens from the pool, and "r" indicates that the Player receives any
Tokens left over of that colour, after the rest have been distributed.

+------------------+-------------------+
| Die | Bk Bu Br Gr Re Si |
+------------------+-------------------+
| First | 1 1 1 1 r 0 |
| Second | 0 1 1 1 1 r |
| Third | r 0 1 1 1 1 |
| Fourth | 1 r 0 1 1 1 |
| Fifth | 1 1 r 0 1 1 |
| Sixth | 1 1 1 r 0 1 |
+------------------+-------------------+

When the next Player takes eir Turn, e should - at the start of eir
Turn - update the GSD to reflect the Token redistribution of the
fFlourish.

2. Never Say Die [Amendment]

To the end of Rule 0.1.3 (The Only Way To Die), add:-

If a Player is required to make a die roll after eir Turn, that Player's
Turn is not considered to be complete until the roll is made; an
incomplete Turn may be timed out as if it had not been made. If the
results of the die roll should be interpreted by the rolling Player, eir
Turn is not considered complete until these interpretations have also
been made.

{ Clarifying what should happen if someone forgets to roll a die, or - in
the case of the fFlourish - to comment on the results. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 792 - Suited and Booted [Multiple]

1. Newer Clothes [Amendment]

Reword Rule 1.4.30 (The Emperor's New Clothes) to:-

If a Player has a "Garment" Possession in eir Luggage Rack, e may
perform the Action of "[Wearing <Garment>]" to Wear it, or "[Removing
<Garment>]" to Remove it. Possessions being Worn are indicated by
surrounding their names with asterisks.

A Garment that is being Worn cannot be removed from its owner's
Luggage Rack by any Action.

A Player cannot Wear more than one Garment of the same Type (no
more than one Overcoat, no more than one Hat, etc.).

2. Camouflage [Amendment]

To Rule 1.4.20 (Token Collection Table), add:-

+----------------------------------------+--------------+
| Moving to a Station of a type which | +1 Blue |
| matches the Moving Player's Worn Hat | |
+----------------------------------------+--------------+

3. Hand in Glove [Amendment]

To Rule 1.14.4 (Token Claiming), add:-

If a Player is Wearing Gloves, e may perform the "[Claiming]"
Action twice for each Station.

4. *Worn*, Damn You [Amendment]

In Rule 1.5.10 (Hard Hats Must Be Worn), replace "carrying" with "Wearing".

5. Albeit Difficult To Throw Money Into [Amendment]

In Rule 1.7.20 (Busking), replace "carrying" with "Wearing".

{ I would add a Busking clause for the Action to require an unworn Hat,
but I suspect it'd be shot down for its realism. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 793 - I Can Do Anything [Amendment]

In Rule 1.7.20 (Busking), adjust the Piano reward to "1 Gold".

{ Is anyone seriously going to pay nine Bronze for something they can't
carry properly, and which only generates one Blue, two Reds, one Bronze,
and two Greens (and even then, only if they can spare fifty minutes)?
Better to make it another way to get Golds, I think - more importantly,
a "generic" way; looking at the Paris ruleset, there's really not a lot
of options open... }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 794 - Stopping Block [Amendment]

Amend the third paragraph of Rule 1.9.1 (Basic Blocks) to read:-

If a Station is Blocked, any Moves which start, pass through or
end at that Station are Invalid, unless the Moving Player owns the
Ticket Stub for that Station.

{ Being able to Move out of a Blocked Station but not a Closed one seems
too absurd, especially in terms of synonymous Station Damage. Since you
can't Block occupied Stations, this doesn't have much impact beyond
making Suspect Packages more dangerous if you're caught right in the
middle of them. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 795 - Unfurnished Property [Amendment]

In Rule 1.12.2 (Declaring a Home Station), replace "Terminus Stations" with
"Stations containing Players, Tokens or any Game elements".

{ Homing in on top of another Player, a Flag, a particularly juicy Token
Stack or whatever should really be ruled against. In this post-Token-
Running age, I think it's safe if this replaces the needless Terminus
restriction. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Your Mornington Nomic Speaker
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 13:35:42 -0000

> Proposal 784 - Holding Stations [Multiple]

In the first Week of Year Two, Proposal 341 (A little bit of local colour)
attempted to do more or less the same. Looking back over the Voting I was
the only person to vote against it, but I remember mentioning that an
unlimited Token Stack size seemed merely awkward to keep track of without
adding anything very much to the Game.

A year on, it might be more feasible; this Proposal at least does the job
rather neatly. I think I might vote this through out of curiosity.

>Proposal 785 - Turner's Declension [Action]

Hmm. An interesting alternative Strile, with benefits outweighing
drawbacks. I'm not sure about one bit of it, though:-

This puzzles me. Does it mean that I can play "[Declension to Neasden]
[Declension to Amersham] [Declension to Morden] Morden (NT)"? If so, what
size must the Stacks be? Decreasing by one each time, or constantly one
less than my starting location? I presume the latter, since the Piece
doesn't Move until the Move itself. This means, though, that "each
Token Stack so moved to" doesn't really amount to anything.

>[Toffing <Player>] Singular Actions.

The concept of Singularity is redundant these days, actually, now that
we've grouped a load of stuff in Section 1.10 and said that it can only
be performed as the first Post-Move Action (which does, looking at it,
make Double-Shunting impossible). I can't see this amendment achieving
much; we might just as well repeal Singularity.

But for Busking, anyway. What's that doing in there?

>Proposal 787 - Alchemy [Enactment, Ruttsborough]

Intriguing, but probably too tricky in its setup to be of any great use.
Hardly Ruttsborough, even so.

>Proposal 788 - Speed Crazy [Action]

Very nice. You can pass to set your LV to zero, of course, but this is
so harsh and awkward that it doesn't detract from the idea.

>Proposal 789 - And the Smell of It... [Action]

Better placed in the Turin Special Rulesets as and when, I think; it
seems rather too dull to bother with on the London Map. I much preferred
the Bransoning.

>Proposal 790 - These Tight Skirts Slow Me Down [Amendment]

Ugh, quite frankly. Such complex mathematical formulae are always quite
distasteful. Wouldn't we be better off saying "if your LV is six or
more, your Move takes twenty minutes", and giving "[Line Change]" a
duration? If we needed to regulate this sort of thing; I'm not so sure
that we do, in all honesty.

Kevan

--
kevan@d...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove

---

From: dunx@d...
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:35:36 -0000

> Duration = ((Stations / 4) + 1) * 10 + (Line_Changes) * 5

I don't like the move length component and will be voting against on that basis. The line change component is more appropriate, in my view, but I do not consider myself an apologist for it.

That's all, really.