Subject: MN: Re: Year 2, Week 46 Proposals

From: "Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan@f...>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:45:25 -0000

Hi guys, I'm back and would like to go Active again. No luck in the
piano competition I'm afraid...

>Proposal 653 - Let's go Loop the Loop [Multiple]

Great idea. I may send in some ghost stations in the near future to
take account of Amersham-Aldwych loops and the Ongar Denial...

>Proposal 654 - Voting Comments [Enactment]

Fair enough.

>Proposal 655 - Day Tripper! [Enactment]

Possible. Are you that short of black tokens that you are willing to pay
three bronzes to preserve them? In particular, are you likely to make
three moves within your Zone Pass areas in the same day, to recoup your
three bronzes? I like this.

>Proposal 656 - Let's Do the Sidestep Again [Multiple]

Great, but if the general Loops stuff is put in then this will need to
be updated to take account of it (changing the description to refer to
all Sidesteps and Escapes.)

>Proposal 657 - Burnt Offering [Multiple]

I hoped the last proposal (abolishing Rewrites and Repeal bonuses)
would pass - I don't think that the Proposal limit should be increased
from three in any way. Already the system is heavily enough weighted in
favour of players who are familiar with the rules: allowing the rules to
change five times per person per week is, surely, a little excessive.
I'm finding it bewildering enough catching up with all the things that
have changed since last month...
And the Rewrite idea is, I think, extremely broken: a serious and
guaranteed Kudos gain for something that doesn't even change the rules,
only rewords them. (If any Rule is changed in effect, then the Proposal
does not, or at least should not, qualify as a Rewrite IMHO.) At the
moment, a person who has a Rewrite pass gets not only the Kudos bonus
for having a Proposal pass, but a guaranteed extra Kudos boost -
something not available with any other type of Proposal (as the CAMREC,
IMCS, Trellis and Rutts awards can only be give once per week.) This
unfairly weights the Kudos stakes in favour of those whose only actions
are to rewrite other people's ideas, rather than rewarding original
thought (which I believe was the intention behind making the Trellis and
Rutts weekly awards greater than the CAMREC and IMCS ones), thus
unfairly penalising people who haven't got the hand of the style of
words required in Nomic. It's like awarding extra Kudos points for
someone correcting "was" to "were"...
[END OF RANT]

>Proposal 658 - Gold Rush [Action]

Strange idea. Weird. I like it.

>Proposal 659 - God Help Us [Multiple]

Suits me fine. Using the church as sanctuary doesn't mean you can launch
attacks from within it.

>Proposal 660 - Loan Clamps [Action]

Too powerful for too little cost. I don't like it.

Jonathan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com