Subject: MN: Year 2 Week 44 Proposals

From: duncan@l... (Duncan Ellis (Dunx))
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 23:14:53 GMT

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNINGTON NOMIC

Proposals for Voting on in Week Forty-Four
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 635 - Prime Time [Amendment]

Reword the second and third paragraphs of Rule 1.13.1 (The Richard Whiteley
Experience) to:

When a new Game commences (i.e. when the first Player to move in a new Game
takes eir Turn), Game Time is set to a time randomly selected by the
Speaker. Each active Player subsequently adds a number of hours and
minutes equal to the total time taken by the Actions and movements of the
Player's Piece. The maximum length of eir Turn starts at one hour (sixty
minutes) and is only extended by the Player playing the [Game Time: +0n00]
Action - the length thus being extended by 'n' hours. A Turn that takes
longer than the length allotted to it is an Illegal Move.

Game Time 'skips' the time between 0000 and 0500, and this 'skip' advances
the day of the game time by one day. Thus, if Rushton's Turn finished at
Wednesday 2340 and Garden's Turn takes 40 minutes, then Garden's Turn ends
at Thursday 0520.

{The aim of this is to stop the rounding-off in hours; since most of us are
calculating the minutes taken in our moves anyway. It changes the game
mechanics somewhat, as it becomes more difficult to play a move designed to
close the station occupied by the next player, but that is still possible
and I don't think this change is going to stop those who are determined to
do such trickery.}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 636 - Flag Capturing and Dropping (Amendment)

*Replace the entire text of Rule 2.8.4 with:
"Flags may be picked up and dropped by Players, with the Post-Move
Actions [Collecting <T> Flag from <Station>] and [Dropping <T> Flag on
<Station>] respectively, where <T> is the colour of the team which owns
the flag in question and <Station> is the Station where the Actioning
Player is situated at the end of eir Move.
A Flag in a Player's possession is kept in the Luggage Rack."
{Comment: At the moment, there is no requirement for the Player to
land at the station in question, only to actually pass through and drop
the Flag en route - like Tokens. But Flags should be more important and
harder to get and drop than that IMHO...}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 637 - Finsbury Option lines (Amendment)

Amend Rule 2.3.1 to read:
*The "North London" line from Richmond to North Woolwich, and the
Thameslink connections from Kentish Town to Farringdon, Moorgate, London
Bridge and Elephant & Castle, and from Finsbury Park to Moorgate, shall
be considered as Underground lines with Line Codes of (NL) and (TL)
respectively, and shall be counted towards the number of Lines present
at Interchanges. However, these Lines are considered to be exempt from
all Zone regulations and are not covered by Zone Passes: a Player ending
eir Piece Move on one of these Lines may not claim a Bronze Token for
playing in a Zone for which a Pass is held, even if the Station is on
another Underground line and the Player has a Zone Pass for the relevant
Zone.
A London Underground map with the North London and Thameslink
lines on can be found at the following website:
http://www.labs.bt.com/profsoc/globecom/under.htm
Connections for the [Walking] Action exist between the following
Stations:
Kentish Town West (NL) - Kentish Town (TL, NT)
Camden Road (NL) - Camden Town (NT)
Hampstead Heath (NL) - Hampstead (NT)
Caledonian Road & Barnesbury (NL) - Caledonian Road (PD)
Finchley Road & Frognal (NL) - Finchley Road (MP, JL)
Acton Central (NL) and North Acton, East Acton, West Acton (CT)
Acton Town (PD) and South Acton (NL)
*[This paragraph is not to be included in the Ruleset: The Speaker
should use the map at the aforementioned URL to calculate the Charge on
each Station which is not already mentioned in the list of Charges: all
those unique to the NL, and the charge of City Thameslink. E should also
post a copy of the map to the MorNomic website, just in case the page is
withdrawn at a later date.]
*The Thameslink connections from Moorgate to Farringdon, and from
Moorgate to Finsbury Park, are closed on Saturdays and Sundays, and open
at peak hours only on Mondays to Fridays.
*Construction Lines are considered as normal Lines, and a Hard Hat
is not needed to use them: therefore the Hard Hat Possession does not
exist in this game. The Jubilee Line connections to Westminster,
Waterloo, London Bridge, Canary Wharf, Canning Town, West Ham and
Stratford are included in the standard Interchanges.
*[This paragraph is not to be included in the Ruleset: Anybody who
has already bought a Hard Hat in a Finsbury Option game is to be
refunded the cost, and the Hard Hat removed from eir Possessions.]

{Comment: This is a solution, in part, to the question of how to
actually implement use of the North London Line etc. in the Finsbury
Option. I include the bit about not counting toward Zone Passes because
there is no available map which shows both the Zones and the two above
Lines.
I had to list the Interchanges because they are not marked as
Interchanges on the actual map showing the Construction Line: they are,
nevertheless, interchanges, or will be when the stations are opened.}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 638 - Line Code Rewrite (Rewrite)

Rewrite the last paragraph of Rule 1.17.4 to read:
"When a Player makes a Piece Move, e should state the Line Code of
the Line e rests on at the end of the Move, and the Line Code of every
Line Segment e has used during the move if e has changed Line. If e
moves to another Station afterwards by use of a Post-Move Action, e must
state the Line Code of the Line e rests on at the destination Station.
{Comments: A bit simpler than the original, which defined the
Station rather than the Player's Piece as being on the Line.}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 639 - No Zone Bonus for Passing (Amendment)

*Amendments to Rule 1.4.20: to be amended to read...

This Table lists the Token bonuses and penalties for Moves.

+----------------------------------------+----------------+
| Event | Token Bonus |
+----------------------------------------+----------------+
| Playing "Pass" as eir Move | +2 Red, Black |
| | or Blue |
+----------------------------------------+----------------+
| Playing "Farkle" as eir Move | +1 Green. |
| | +1 Black, Blue |
| | or Red
+----------------------------------------+----------------+
| Playing a valid non-Pass move and | |
| ending eir Turn in a Station in a Zone | +1 Bronze |
| for which a Zone Pass is carried | |
+----------------------------------------+----------------+
| Ending eir Turn in an Interchange with | +1 Red |
| exactly two lines, having not Passed | |
+----------------------------------------+----------------+
| Ending eir Turn in an Interchange with | +1 Black |
| exactly three lines, having not Passed | |
+----------------------------------------+----------------+
| Ending eir Turn in an Interchange with | +1 Blue |
| exactly four lines, having not Passed | |
+----------------------------------------+----------------+
| Ending eir Turn in an Interchange with | +1 Silver |
| five or more lines, having not Passed | |
+----------------------------------------+----------------+
| Playing a valid non-Pass Piece Move | +1 Black |
| which does not change Line | |
+----------------------------------------+----------------+
| Passing through exactly two | +1 Red |
| Interchanges during eir Piece Move | |
+----------------------------------------+----------------+
| Passing through exactly three | +1 Black |
| Interchanges during eir Piece Move | |
+----------------------------------------+----------------+
| Passing through exactly four | +1 Blue |
| Interchanges during eir Piece Move | |
+----------------------------------------+----------------+
| Passing through exactly five | +1 Silver |
| Interchanges during eir Piece Move | |
+----------------------------------------+----------------+
| Passing through exactly six | +1 Green |
| Interchanges during eir Piece Move | +1 Black |
+----------------------------------------+----------------+
| Passing through exactly seven | +1 Green |
| Interchanges during eir Piece Move | +1 Blue |
| | +1 Red |
+----------------------------------------+----------------+
| Passing through exactly eight | +1 Green |
| Interchanges during eir Piece Move | +1 Red |
| | +2 Black |
+----------------------------------------+----------------+
| Passing through exactly nine | +1 Silver |
| Interchanges during eir Piece Move | +1 Green |
| | +2 Blue |
| | +2 Red |
+----------------------------------------+----------------+
| Passing through ten or more | As above but |
| Interchanges during eir Piece Move | with +1 Black |
| | for each extra |
| | interchange |
+----------------------------------------+----------------+
If a Player passes through the same Interchange twice in one move, e
may still only count it once against the number of Interchanges e has
passed through.
*Amend Rule 1.5.12 (Farkling) - Amendment
If a Player is in possession of a Silly Hat, e may play "Farkle" as
eir Move. Eir Line velocity is immediately set to zero and e may not
play any Post-Move Actions which change eir position that turn.
A Farkle is considered to be equivalent to a Pass for references to
the Player's "previous Move" and for the purposes of table 1.4.20, with
the sole exception that its token bonus is different. However, a Farkle
may not be played if a Rule forces that Player to Pass - only if the
Player is able to move may e Farkle.

{Comments: Passing or farkling doesn't get a bronze token for
staying in a Zone for which a Pass is possessed, or a black token for
staying on a Line. Nor does farkling now provide a greater bonus than
passing: it's two tokens for either a Farkle or a Pass - but one of them
can be Green if you farkle, and Greens are harder to get otherwise (look
at the revised token costs: you need to pass a lot of interchanges, six
or more, and can only get one green at a time. I've also altered it so
that only one silver can be claimed for passing interchanges in one
turn. The number of tokens increases with the number of interchanges.)
In view of this, the Bronze Token bonus for the Farkle has been
discarded.
Anyone want to change a few more Actions to cost green tokens?
}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 640 - Spherical Projection [Special Ruleset]

[Enactment: Non-Euclidean Space]

The Spherical Projection treats the Map as if it were pasted onto a sphere.

Under this projection, certain outlying Termini are considered to be
connected to each other. These connected termini are treated as
adjacent Stations, and do not count as Termini for any Rule.

Where a connection is made between Termini of different lines, movement
between such Stations is considered to be a Line Change in the normal way.

The following Termini are connected:

High Barnet (NT) <-> Morden (NT)
Cockfosters (PD) <-> Wimbledon (DS)
Epping (CN) <-> Richmond (DS)
Upminster (DS) <-> Ealing Broadway (CN, PD)
Beckton (DL) <-> Uxbridge (MP, PD)
Island Gardens (DL) <-> Amersham (MP)
New Cross (EL) <-> Chesham (MP)
New Cross Gate (EL) <-> Watford (MP)

[Enactment: No Back Door]
The following Manoeuvres specified in Rule 1.18.2 shall be ignored under
this Special Ruleset:

The Morden Paradox Gambit
The Outlying Region Gambit

{ Comment: disallowing Manouevres based on it being difficult to travel
between Termini. }

[End of Spherical Projection]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 641 - Dolly's feeling a little better now (Amendment)

Rewrite Rule 1.8.1

If the previous non-Pass Move in a Game is "Dollis Hill":
* The current Player's Piece is moved directly to Dollis Hill unless they
play the [Dollis Escape] Action.
* Dollis Hill is the only Valid Move, unless the Player is able to play the
[Dollis Escape] Action.
* Line Velocity is specifically ignored. LV can be changed in the usual
manner, but has no effect on Piece Movement unless the [Dollis Escape]
Action has been played beforehand

A [Dollis Escape] Action may only be performed if the Actioning Player has
an LV of ten or more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 642 - Mornington Crescent On The Buses [Multiple]

1. Brighton & Hove "Metro" Guidebook [Enactment]

{ I finally managed to get hold of a copy of the map they have on the side
of buses down here - after a considerable amount of rehashing (for the
online copy I found was incredibly badly put together, stop names mistyped
and missing) it's become a viable Map. If the URL given doesn't work yet,
it means I haven't gotten around to uploading it. Bear with me.

Still, just another Guidebook variant. No particularly staggering new
rules for it being bus-based, although the Stops that are only useable in
one direction are a new idea which should make for some interesting play,
and there are a pleasing number of track loops.

And being able to buy things from the Co-op seems quite cute. }

Map URL : http://members.xoom.com/asabove/metro.gif
Goal : The Crescent (49)
Bank : Bingo Hall (1)
Loop : Lark Hill (5)
River : None
Line Codes : 1, 5, 7, 25, 49
Zones : None
Current : Unavailable
Venbacker Numbers : Unavailable
Quadrants : 1-4, marked on Map; no Quadrant Zero
Circle Line Equivalent : Formed by two lines - Line 5 and Line 7, between
George Street and Churchill Square.

Special Rules:-

* Stations may be referred to as "Stops".

* Map abbreviations such as "Rd" and "Gdns" should be read unabbreviated.

* Holy Hats take the place of Compass Hats.

* A Shop Stop is one with the string "Shop", "Asda", "Co-op", "C&A",
"Sainsburys", "Somerfield", "Texaco" or "Waitrose" in its name.

* In Rule 1.4.18 (The Emporium), "British Rail Station" should be readas
"Shop Stop", although "Edible" Possessions may be bought at Refectory.
"British Rail Coffee" becomes "Styrofoam-Flavoured Coffee".

* Certain loops of track may only be traversed in one direction, as
indicated by arrows around that loop. Moves which involve traversingany
Line Sections in the wrong direction are Invalid.

* Certain Stops may only be accessed in one direction, as indicated byan
arrow directly next to the Stop. If a Move ends at such a Stop having
entered from the wrong direction, or begins at such a Stop and leaves
in the wrong direction, it is Invalid.

* Where a Stop is "not served Sundays", it is treated as Closed all day
Sunday.

* Hardwick Road counts as a Terminus Stop. A Move which passes through
Hardwick Road is Invalid.

* "Palace Pier" is a Stop with a Line Code of "N/A", connected to no other
Stops. It may be Walked to from Sea Life Centre (just as Sea Life Centre
may be walked to from Palace Pier), but only during Peak Hours.

* A Player may perform the ten-minute neutral Action of "[Playing the Fruit
Machines]", provided that eir Piece is situated at Palace Pier during
Peak Hours. This Action costs one Bronze Token.

After submitting eir GSD, the Actioning Player should roll a six-sided
die to determine eir prize - this prize should be added to that Player's
Token balance by the next Player to take eir Turn. If the next Player
takes eir Turn before the die result arrives in the Lounge, no prizeis
given.

Prize: 1-2 = Nothing, 3 = 1 Silver, 4 = 1 Gold, 5 = 3 Silvers, 6 = 2 Golds.

2. How You Say...? [Amendment]

Rename Rule 2.7.10 (Overcharged (Again)) to "No Word For Fluffy", and reword
it to:-

If a Guidebook gives no Venbacker Numbers, Current, Quadrant definitionss,
or any other such data required by a Rule, the aspect of any Rule requiring
that data should be sensibly ignored.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 643 - Playing with Dollis [Amendment]

{ Requiring an Escape to be made from Dollis Hill itself (rather than
anywhere, counter-intuitively), but permitting a Straddle or whatever
to break the Loop (since it now goes by Piece location rather than
Move text). I think this gives the Loop more of its proper character. }

Reword Rule 1.8.1 (Dollis Hill Loop) to:-

During a Player's Turn, if the previous Active Player's Piece is
situated at Dollis Hill, a Dollis Hill Loop is said to be in effect.

While a Dollis Hill Loop is in effect, a Move that finishes at Dollis
Hill is Valid. A Move which finishes elsewhere is Invalid, unless the
Player taking eir Turn has performed a "[Dollis Sidestep]" or "[Dollis
Escape]" Action this Turn.

A "[Dollis Escape]" Action may only be performed if the Actioning Player
is situated at Dollis Hill with an LV of 10 or more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 644 - Recall Collect [Amendment]

In Rule 1.4.20 (Token Collection Table), remove the rewards for passing
through six, seven, eight or nine Interchanges.

{ Multi-token rewards are rather too generous, and giving extra incentiveto
speed is probably questionable - having a high LV is beneficial enough,
without being able to reap plentiful Tokens as well. By removing any
reward for passing more than five Interchanges, this encourages slower play.
(Or at least more careful play; in some cases it will still be possibleto
zip around at LV15 and skim just enough Interchanges for a prize.) }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 645 - Rewrite My Fire [Multiple]

{ Comment: Two things really - Rewrites are too fiddly to administer and are
better served by a higher Proposal limit, and the whole concept of getting
additional Kudos for repealing Rules seems a little pointless (not to
mention being breoken anyway).

Apologies to both Jonathan and Kevan for nicking their ideas.
}

[Amendment: What A Lovely Pare]
Amend Rule 0.4.1 (Proposals) to remove the entry for Rewrite.

[Amendment: But Only Where It's Due]
Amend Rule 0.9.1 (Kudos) to remove the bonuses for passage of Rewrite and
Repeal Proposals.

[Amendment: Quota Palaver]
Amend Rule 0.4.3 (Proposal Submission) so that its first sentance reads
thus:
"Players may submit up to three Proposals per Week, emailing them
directly to the Speaker."

[Repeal: Sitting Duck]
Repeal Rule 0.4.15 (It Could Be More Dramatic, If You Know What I Mean).

[End of Rewrite My Fire]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dunx
--
Ceci n'est pas un .sig

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com