Subject: MN: Year 3 Week 41 Proposals

From: "MN Speaker" <speaker@d...>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 18:57:31 -0000

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNINGTON NOMIC

Proposals for Voting on in Week Forty-One
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 974 - In My Own Time [Multiple]

{This proposal is intended to make all games Free for All.
The most interesting stuff is in point 12, where I propose that each player
has eir own game time. The rest is more or less just consequences of that.}

1. In
Rule 1.1.2 - A New Game
change :
When a new Game begins, the following initial conditions apply to that
Game:-

* The Game shall take place in a Lounge of the Speaker's choice.
* Game Time is randomly selected by the Speaker.
to:
When a new Game begins, the following initial conditions apply to that
Game:-

* The Game shall take place in a Lounge of the Speaker's choice.
* Initial Game Time is randomly selected by the Speaker, being the same
for all Players. The Initial Game Time shall be evenly divisible
by 5 minutes.

In
Rule 1.1.8 - Joining In
change:
When a new Player joins a Game already in progress, the Speaker shall
determine er position in the Playing Order according to Rule 1.1.12. The
Playing Order shall be reflected in the sequence of the Game State Document's
Token Table, and may not be amended except by the addition of further new
Players and the resignation of old ones.
to:
When a new Player joins a Game already in progress, the Speaker shall
determine eir position in the Playing Order according to Rule 1.1.12, and
assign em a Game Time. This Game Time is randomly chosen from the Game Times
of the already playing Players of the Game. The Playing Order shall be
reflected in the sequence of the Game State Document's Token Table, and may
not be amended except by the addition of further new Players and the
resignation of old ones.

3. In
Rule 1.2.0 - The Game State Document
change:
The GSD shall also include the following information in an appropriate
format: Disruptions; Game Time; Wild Stations; Token Stacks; Courier
Pick-up and Destination Stations.
to:
The GSD shall also include the following information in an appropriate
format: Disruptions; Game Times; Wild Stations; Token Stacks; Courier
Pick-up and Destination Stations.

4. In
Rule 1.3.0 - Turn Summary
change:
The Game of Mornington Crescent is divided into Turns, each taken by
different Player, in sequence. During each Turn, a Player may make a
Move, perform Actions and collect Tokens.

Moves, Plays, Rounds and Turns shall be defined as follows in
combination with those definitions already extant:

* A Round is a sequence of Turns in which all Active Players play. An
effect which is said to endure for one Round lasts from the point at
which the effect begins until the same point in the next Round (Turn
Phases to be rounded up).

Specifically, if something begins during the Post-Move Phase of a
Player's Turn and lasts for one Round, then that something stops at
the end of the Post-Move phase in that Player's next Turn or (if that
Player Resigns or goes Inactive) the point after which eir Turn would
have been.
to:
The Game of Mornington Crescent is divided into Turns, each taken by
a Player. During each Turn, a Player may make a Move, perform Actions
and collect Tokens.

Moves, Plays, Rounds and Turns shall be defined as follows in
combination with those definitions already extant:

* A Round is a sequence of as many Turns as there are Active Players
in the Game. An effect which is said to endure for one Round lasts
from the point at which the effect begins until the same point in
the next Round (Turn Phases to be rounded up).

5. In
Rule 1.3.1 - Taking a Turn
change:
* Updating of any aspects of the Game State Document which
have been altered (eg. Game Time, Token possession, Knip, etc.)
to:
* Updating of any aspects of the Game State Document which
have been altered (eg. Game Times, Token possession, Knip, etc.)

6. In
Rule 1.3.2 - Playing Sequence
change:
After a Player has taken eir Turn, it becomes the Turn of the next
Active Player in the Token Table at the top of the GSD. If there are
no further Active Players in the Token Table (or no Turns have yet
been played), it becomes the Turn of the first Active Player in the
Token Table.
to:
A Busy Player may not take a Turn.

7. In
Rule 1.3.5 - Timing is Everything
change:
Players have 36 hours to submit eir Turn, starting from the time the previous
Turn was submitted. Saturdays and Sundays are ignored for the purposes of this
rule, so that if a Player submits a Turn at 10am on Friday, the next Player has
until 10pm on Monday to submit eir Turn. A Player may still submit eir Turn at
the weekend, in which case the 36 hours start at 0000GMT Monday.

If a Player does not submit eir Turn within this time, any Player from that
Game may submit a Turn containing the Move of "Timeout" (with no Actions)
for that Player, and advance the Game Time by one hour.

If the Forcing Player is able to take eir Turn directly after the Forced Player,
e may submit eir Turn on the same GSD.
to:
Players have 36 hours to submit eir Turn, starting from the time the
previous Turn was submitted. Saturdays and Sundays are ignored for the
purposes of this rule, so that if a Player submits a Turn at 10am on Friday,
the next Player has until 10pm on Monday to submit eir Turn. A Player may
still submit eir Turn at the weekend, in which case the 36 hours start at
0000GMT Monday.

If no Player submits eir Turn within this time, any Player from that Game
may submit a Turn on the behalf of the Lagging Player, if the Game has such
a Player, containing the Move of "Timeout" (with no Actions), and advance
the Game Time of the thusly Forced Player by one hour.

If the Forcing Player is able to take eir Turn directly after the Forced
Player, e may submit eir Turn on the same GSD.

8. In
Rule 1.4.24 - The Podume of Infinite Darkness
change:
If there is no PoID in play, any Player may perform the Action of
"[Forging PoID]" to bring the PoID into play, in eir Possession,
provided that e is not located at a Holy Station, and that Game Time is
outside of Peak Hours. If performed at midnight, this Action's cost is
halved.
to:
If there is no PoID in play, any Player may perform the Action of
"[Forging PoID]" to bring the PoID into play, in eir Possession,
provided that e is not located at a Holy Station, and that eir Game Time
is outside of Peak Hours. If performed at midnight, this Action's cost
is halved.

9. In
Rule 1.5.12 - Farkling
change:
A Player may play a Move of "Farkle", provided that e performs no
Actions during that Turn. Such a Play is identical in every respect to a
Move of "Pass", except that, upon making it, the Player who makes it may
adjust Game Time to any day and time.
to:
A Player may play a Move of "Farkle", provided that e performs no
Actions during that Turn. Such a Play is identical in every respect to a
Move of "Pass", except that, upon making it, the Player who makes it may
adjust eir Game Time to any day and time.

10. In
Rule 1.7.20 - Busking
change:
A Player may perform the action 'Busking' provided that Game Time is
currently during Peak Hours and
to:
A Player may perform the action 'Busking' provided that eir Game Time
is currently during Peak Hours and

11. In
Rule 1.11.3 - Station Damage
change:
Whenever Game Time moves into a new day, the first Damaged Station listed
in Disruptions shall be removed:
to:
Whenever the Game Time of the Lagging Player (or the Co-Lagging Players)
move(s) into a new day, the first Damaged Station listed in Disruptions
shall be removed:

12. In
Rule 1.13.1 - The Richard Whiteley Experience
change:
Each Game currently in progress shall have a unique Game Time, which shall be
recorded on the Game State Document for that Game. Game Time shall consist of
the same units of measurement as real time (but shall bear no other relation to
real time) and shall be expressed as the day followed by the time in the
24-hour clock format.

Each Player's Turn has a default maximum duration of one hour. Whenever
a Player performs an Action or makes a Move, Game Time is advanced by
the duration of that Action or Move. If this should take the duration
of eir Turn so far beyond its maximum duration, the Turn becomes
Illegal.

Game Time 'skips' the time between 0000 and 0500, and this 'skip'
advances the day of the game time by one day. Thus, if Rushton's Turn
finished at Wednesday 2340 and Garden's Turn takes 40 minutes, then
Garden's Turn ends at Thursday 0520.

If the Action [Night Train] is performed, the firstcoming 'skip' is
ignored, but the day of the game time is still advanced at 0000.
To signify this anomaly, an asterisk is inserted in the Game Time
in the Game State Document. Actions that target other Players
cannot be played between 0000 and 0500.
to:
Each Game currently in progress shall have a number of Game Times, one
for each Player, which shall be recorded on the Game State Document for
that Game.
Game Time shall consist of the same units of measurement as real time
(but shall bear no other relation to real time) and shall be expressed
as the day followed by the time in the 24-hour clock format.

Each Player's Turn has a default maximum duration of one hour. Whenever
a Player performs an Action or makes a Move, eir Game Time is advanced
by the duration of that Action or Move. If this should take the duration
of eir Turn so far beyond its maximum duration, the Turn becomes
Illegal.

Each Player's Game Time 'skips' the time between 0000 and 0500, and this
'skip' advances the day of eir Game Time by one day.

When a Player advances eir Game Time beyond midnight between Sunday and
Monday, e must signify this by prefixing eir Game Time with a plus (+),
unless e is Lagging, in which case e shall delete a plus from all
Game Times.

If the Action [Night Train] is performed, the firstcoming 'skip' is
ignored, but the day of the Player's Game Time is still advanced at
0000.
To signify this anomaly, an asterisk is inserted in the appropriate Game
Time in the Game State Document. Actions that target other Players
cannot be played between 0000 and 0500.

13. In
Rule 1.13.4 - Station Opening
change:
Each Station may be either Open or Closed, dependent on a number of factors.
Certain Stations and Lines are described as having Restricted Opening, the
Open/Closed state of these depending on the current Game Time, and being
given in Rules 1.13.5 and 1.13.6.
to:
Each Station may be either Open or Closed, dependent on a number of
factors.
Certain Stations and Lines are described as having Restricted Opening,
the Open/Closed state of these depending on the current Game Time of the
Actioning Player, and being given in Rules 1.13.5 and 1.13.6.

14. Create a new
Rule 1.13.x - Business and Lag

A Player, whose Game Time is more advanced than all other Players', is
said to be Busy.
A Player, whose Game Time is less advanced than all other Players', is
said to be Lagging.
If several Players all have identical Game Times, which are less
advanced than all other Players', they are said be Co-Lagging.

15. Delete Section 2.12

16. Create a new Rule in the Vanilla Ruleset:
If a common Game Time is defined in a Game, all Players of that Game are
given this Game Time as their individual Game Times.

17. Delete the just-created Rule.

MN Speaker
-"The moose took it."

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 12:55:13 -0000

> has eir own game time. The rest is more or less just consequences of that.}

Arrrrrrrrrrrgh! Run for your lives :-)

I see there is nothing to prevent a Player making x successive Turns within minutes of each other
unless zie becomes the Busy Player. Why then restrict each Turn to 60mins? This would add a new
level of stratergy to the game, since allowing ones own time to get too far ahead would mean the
lagging player can play a devistating series of Turns with noone in between to stop zir. This would
also do away with Pre and Post Actions since one can just play a null Move to get the Action done.

Too fiddly for Vanilla games though. And I've not been too impressed with Free-for-All Solipsium
either.

> the next Round (Turn Phases to be rounded up).

Nice definition of a Round.

> A Busy Player may not take a Turn.

OK

Snow
-Double sided sticky tape takes over world.

---

From: "Kevan Davis" <kevan@s...>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 03:11:21 -0800

> Arrrrrrrrrrrgh! Run for your lives :-)

Indeed. This was also my initial reaction.

> Too fiddly for Vanilla games though. And I've not been too impressed
with Free-for-All Solipsium

And this was my conclusion; from the Solipsism game, I think it's shown
that such an approach just polarises the apathetic and busy from the
enthusiastic and frequently-online - it lessens the sense of urgency
for the former, if they never actually have to bother submitting a
Turn, and gives the edge to the latter, who don't have to wait for
other Players to catch up. Not a good thing, if you ask me. 

> Nice definition of a Round.

I don't know, it's a bit precarious, isn't it? If I Block a Station for
a Round (say six Turns), and suddenly three people go Inactive, does
that mean that the Block still lasts for six Turns, or adjusts itself
to last only three?

Kevan

--
kevan@s...
http://www.stormloader.com/kevan

---

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 19:21:21 +0100

Snow, Paul and Kevan wrote:

: > Arrrrrrrrrrrgh! Run for your lives :-)
:

Well, I assume this means that you aren't going to vote for it, so I'd
better withdraw the prop.

Consider it withdrawn.

Ole

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 20:22:52 -0000

> better withdraw the prop.

OK.

MN Speaker
-Do not read this.