Subject: MN: Re: Wild Thing

From: "Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan@f...>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 14:14:38 -0000

>> * A Piece's Move is its normal motion along LU lines, excluding
all
>> Action-related changes to position. This may be referred to
simply
>> as 'a Move'
>>
>>Again that troubling use of the word 'normal'... In those terms, the
only
>>normal Move is one which is modified only by acceleration.

That's the solution I favour: make a defined difference between
Standard Moves (which are as described above, modified only by LV
changes) and Special Moves (which require an Action other than
acceleration or deceleration in the Pre-Move phase to be valid. (Home,
Wild, Strile, Stub Link are examples...) A proposal is already present
(and about to be unveiled tonight with next week's set) altering the
Token Collection table to reflect this: the Token bonus for passing
through Interchanges will only apply to normal Piece movement, Special
Moves not counting as such. I've always thought of Special Moves as a
kind of teleport (which should, perhaps, be blocked by certain types of
Clamp: how about a Knid rule, explicitly preventing Special Moves but
with no other penalty? :-)
Also, collecting a Bronze for Zone Passes or a Black for remaining
on the same Line will only apply if the player has actually moved (i.e.
no black or bronze bonuses for playing Pass or Farkle.) Token bonuses
for moving to Interchanges will apply to the station the Player ends eir
move at, not to the one at the end of the Piece Move (if the two are
different, e.g. by a Straddle or Compass Trick, or use of an Escalator
Link.)
I've also changed a few Token bonuses in the Token Table, in
particular to include ways of getting Greens (as the only type of Token
other than Gold that can't be got by means of moving: this IMHO ought to
be changed. One can get Silvers, Bronzes, Blues, Reds and Blacks by
making normal moves, so why not Greens as well?

Jonathan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com