Subject: MN: Year 3 Week 5 Proposals

From: dunx@l... (Duncan Ellis (Dunx))
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 22:15:46 GMT

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNINGTON NOMIC

Proposals for Voting on in Week Five
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 723 - Lost Property
-Renumber the Blonking rule (1.7.48) into Section 1.10
-If Proposal 712 passes, amend the final paragraph of that Rule to:
"The Blonked Player loses a single Token or Possession, chosen by the
Blonking Player: this Token or Possession is put into the Lost&Found
box. Tokens may be lost regardless of whether the Player has a Money
Belt."
-Also add to the Lost&Found rule from Proposal 712 if it passes -
when it describes the effects of being "Caught Picking Rags", this
should be amended to:
"The Player is moved straight to Tower Hill, must play a move of
"Pass" with no Actions on eir next Turn, and loses all of eir
Possessions: these are placed in the Lost Property Box, any surplus
(chosen at random) being discarded."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 724 - All The Pegs In One Basket (Renumbering)
-Renumber Rule 1.7.41 (Pegs Tie) into Section 1.11 with a new
numbering of 1.11.5.
-The existing Rule 1.11.5 (Sanctuary) is itself to be moved to
1.11.7
-and the current Rule 1.7.29 (Collection Plate) is to be deleted
and its entire text added to the "Sanctuary" Rule
-and the Actions Table to be updated accordingly in all three
cases.
{Comments: the Pegs ought to be together, and the Holy Station rules can
be all in one place - Holy Stations as a category seem to be special
enough to warrant this, and in the "Restricted Opening" rule it already
explains that Holy Stations aren't open on Sundays unless the correct
Action is played.}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 725 - Just Passing Through...
-Amend Rule 1.12.3 to the following:
During a Player's turn, the Home Stations of all other Players are
considered Blocked.
A Player may perform the Action of [Toll to <Player>]: the cited
Player gains Tokens equal to the cost of the Action, and eir Home
Station is then considered to be Closed rather than Blocked for the rest
of the Actioning Player's Turn.
The Action of [Rent to <Player>] may be performed instead: this
works in exactly the same way as above, but the cited Player's Home
Station is considered Open instead of Blocked or Closed.

-In the Action Tables, amend the cost of the Toll action to 4
Bronze and add a [Rent to <Player>] Action with a cost of 8 Bronze.

{Comment: It ought to cost more to actually land on the station
than to merely pass through... hence the "Toll" leaves it closed, but
trains can pass through, and the "Rent" leaves the home open to the
honoured guest to land in and stay until eir next turn.}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 726 - *PECK!* (Spot the Ostrich Ruleset)

-Add the following to Rule 4.3.2:
If the Ostrich ever shares a Station and Line with another Player,
the Ostrich may play the Action of "[Pecking <Player>]". The Player is
immediately moved to a Wild Station in another Quadrant, eir LV is
reduced to zero, and the Player holding the Ostrich Stick may take one
Token or Possession from the Pecked Player. Only the Ostrich may Peck,
and no Rule preventing aggressive Actions or expenditure of Tokens (red
or otherwise)may prevent a Peck.
Action (to be added to the table in 4.3.2):
[Pecking <Player>] Post-Move, cost 2 Red.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 727 - Token claiming and dropping...

-Remove "started eir move at" from the list of Stations at which a
Token may be claimed or dropped in Rules 1.14.3 and 1.14.4
-Remove the "or adjacent Quadrant" from Rule 1.4.19: it should now
read "it cannot be in the same Quadrant as the Player's final location."

{Comments: (1) - this would otherwise allow players to collect two
tokens from a Stack in one visit, one upon arrival and the other upon
leaving. (2) the current implementation is broken: what happens if the
player is in Quadrant 0 where all other Quadrants are adjacent? Then,
under the current rules, the Token cannot be dropped anywhere... I can
see why it was changed from the implementation that I am to proposing to
change it back to, and I have a suspicion that that change predates
Quadrant 0. But with Quadrant 0 in existence, it doesn't work.}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 728 - Pachisi Crescent

The &&&-delimited is a Proposal for a Variant.

It could be argued that it belongs in Section 4, Other Games, but
since MC is the goal, I have put it in Section 2, Variants.

&&&

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
SECTION 2.x - Pachisi Crescent
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Rule 2.x.1 - The Game

Each Player has four Pieces, numbered 1 to 4. All Pieces begin the
game in an off-Map pool of Pieces.
Each Player may Move one of eir Pieces in eir Turn (if e is at all able
to Move one of eir Pieces).
The first Player to Move all eir Pieces to Mornington Crescent wins
the game.

Rule 2.x.2 - Moves
A Piece can only move to Mornington Crescent if it has visited the
Home Stations of all the Players, beginning and ending with the Piece's
own Home Station.

A Piece Moving to Mornington Crescent is removed from the game.

Rule 2.x.3 - Line Velocity

All Pieces belonging to the same Player have the same LV.

Rule 2.x.4 - Actions

The Action "[Opening MC]" costs 1 Bronze Token.
The Action "[Toll to <Player>]" is free.
The Action "[Home]" is only legal if the performing Piece is in the
off-Map pool.

Rule 2.x.4.1 - Knuff of it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Knuffing <Piece>] Neut ----- 20
------------------------------------------------------------------------

If a Piece shares a Station and Line with another Piece, e may perform
the Neutral Action of Knuffing. Thus:

Rushton-1 : Latimer Road (HC) [Knuffing Garden-1]

A Piece which has been Knuffed is removed from the Map and placed in
the off-Map pool of Pieces. The Knuffed Piece's record of visited Home
Stations is deleted.

[Knuffing] may not be performed on any Piece owned by the Knuffing
Player.
[Knuffing] may not be performed on any Piece sharing a Station with
another Piece controlled by the same Player.
[Knuffing] may not be performed on any Piece occupying a Holy Station,
unless performed as a Pre-Move Action.

Rule 2.x.5 - States of Play

Circle Line is always in its Clockwise State, so the [Circle: <State>]
Actions are void.

Rule 2.x.5 - Home Stations

Each Player has a Home Station, which is Home Station for all eir Pieces.

The Home Station must be one of these:

+------------------------+---------------+
| Home Station | Abbreviation |
+------------------------+---------------+
| Amersham | Am |
| Harrow & Wealdstone | HW |
| Stanmore | St |
| Edgware | Ed |
| High Barnet | HB |
| Cockfosters | Co |
| Walthamstow Central | WC |
| Epping | Ep |
| Upminster | Up |
| Beckton | Be |
| Island Gardens | IG |
| New Cross | NC |
| Brixton | Br |
| Morden | Mo |
| Wimbledon | Wi |
| Richmond | Ri |
| Heathrow Terminal 4 | H4 |
| Ealing Broadway | EB |
| Uxbridge | Ux |
| West Ruislip | WR |
+------------------------+---------------+

The list is a loop, where West Ruislip is considered to be just
above Amersham.

No two Players can have the same Home Station.

When performing the [Home: <Station>] Action, the Player shall
choose a Home Station at least X Stations away from any already
chosen Home Stations, as determined by the list of available Home
Stations.
X is 7, initially.
If no Station is available, X is diminished by 2,
and a new attempt is made.

Rule 2.x.5.1 - Visiting Home Stations

There is a section on the GSD used to note the Home Stations
visited by each Piece.

{Example:
Home Stations: Rushton: New Cross, Garden: Harrow & Wealdstone,
Trellis: Walthamstow Central, Cryer: Heathrow Terminal 4

+----------+------------------+--+
| Piece | Visited |MC|
+----------+------------------+--+
|Rushton-1 | NC,H4 | |
|Rushton-2 | NC,H4,HW,WC,NC | |
|Rushton-3 | <home> | |
|Rushton-4 | NC,H4 | |
|Garden-1 | <home> | |
|Garden-2 | HW,WC | |
|Garden-3 | HW,WC | |
|Garden-4 | HW,WC,NC | |
|Trellis-1 | WC,NC,H4,HW,WC |MC|
|Trellis-2 | WC,NC,H4 | |
|Trellis-3 | WC,NC | |
|Trellis-4 | WC,NC | |
|Cryer-1 | H4,HW,WC | |
|Cryer-2 | H4,HW | |
|Cryer-3 | <home> | |
|Cryer-4 | <home> | |
+----------+------------------+--+
(end of example)}

A Piece is said to visit a Home Station if the Station is added
to the Piece's list of visited Home Stations.

A Home Station is added to the Piece's list of visited Home
Stations if the Piece:
- begins a Turn there,
- ends a Turn there, or
- passes through the Station.

The Home Stations can only be visited in the order indicated on
the list of possible Home Stations, and beginning and ending with
the Home Station of the owning Player.

No Home Station can be visited more than once (unless the
visiting Piece has been Knuffed between the visits).

&&&

{ Speaker's Comment: pachisi is also known as ludo. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 729 - Yodeling

I propose Amending:

Rule 1.7.20 - Busking

A Player may perform the action 'Busking' provided that Game Time is
currently
during Peak Hours and
- e is carrying a Musical Possession, in which case e may use the
instrument,
and/or
- e is at a Hill Station, in which case e may Yodel.

The Player must specify in eir comments which instrument e is using, if
any.

A Player successfully performing this Action gains a number of Tokens
depending on the type of musical instrument used, as follows:

* Yodeling - 1 Bronze
* Harmonica - 3 Bronze
....[rest of current rule unchanged]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 730 - Size Matters

I propose a new rule:

Rule 1.4.x - Size Matters

Possessions come in four sizes:

* Small,
* Medium,
* Big, and
* Too Big.

Unless otherwise defined, Possessions are Medium-sized.
A Player may carry any amount of Small and Medium-sized Possessions.
A Player can carry no more than two Big or Too Big Possessions,
including at most one Too Big Possession.

A Player carrying a Too Big Possession may not perform any Standard Move.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 731 - Walking In The Night [Amendment]

I want to walk in the night!

In "Rule 1.13.1 - The Richard Whiteley Experience", replace:

Game Time 'skips' the time between 0000 and 0500, and this 'skip'
advances the day of the game time by one day. Thus, if Rushton's Turn
finished at Wednesday 2340 and Garden's Turn takes 40 minutes, then
Garden's Turn ends at Thursday 0520.

with

Between 0000 and 0500, no trains are running.
Therefore, no Standard Moves can be made during this time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 732 - Lost and Found [Multiple]

The ^^^-delimited text is the proposal, named 'Lost & Found'.
It consists of two proposed new rules and three insertions in tables.

The %%%-delimited text takes care of a couple of potential loose ends.

^^^
Rule 1.7.x - Lost & Found

London Transport's Lost Property Office is placed at Paddington.

A Player can perform the 30-minute Post-Move Action
of [Finding], but only between 0930 and 1400 on Mondays to Fridays.

The Player performing the [Finding] Action should roll a single
100-sided die after submitting eir Turn.

If the performing Player is at Paddington and the time is between
0930 and 1400 on Mondays to Fridays, e adds 5 to eir roll.

The next Player to take eir Turn should look the number rolled up
on the table below. The found item is then added to the Luggage Rack
or Token Table of the Finding Player.

+-------+-----------------+---------------------------------+
| Roll | Item found | Special/Qualities |
+-------------------------+---------------------------------+
| 1-44 | Nothing | |
| 45-52 | <special> | Accused of Theft # |
| 53-54 | Package | Suspect, dropped |
| 55 | Velocity Bomb | |
| 56 | Zone 1 Pass | * |
| 57 | Zone 2 Pass | * |
| 58 | Zone 3 Pass | * |
| 59-60 | Spectacles | Garment |
| 61-62 | Scarf | Garment, Woolen |
| 63 | Glove | Garment, Right Hand |
| 64-65 | Glove | Garment, Left Hand |
| 66 | Gloves | Garment, Pair |
| 67 | Money Belt | Empty, Garment* |
| 68 | Casiotone | Musical |
| 69 | Drum | Musical |
| 70 | Guitar | Musical |
| 71 | Harmonica | Small, Musical |
| 72 | Saxophone | Musical |
| 73 | Violin | Musical |
| 74 | Piano | Musical, Too Big |
| 75 | A-Z Hat | Hat* |
| 76 | BR Hat | Hat* |
| 77 | Compass Hat | Hat* |
| 78 | Terminus Hat | Hat* |
| 79 | Verdant Hat | Hat* |
| 80 | Hard Hat | Hat* |
| 81 | Silly Hat | Hat* |
| 82 | Book | Papery |
| 83-84 | Newspaper | Yesterday's, Papery |
| 85 | Newspaper | Today's, Papery |
| 86 | Tokens | 2 Black |
| 87 | Tokens | 2 Blue |
| 88 | Tokens | 2 Red |
| 89 | Tokens | 2 Green |
| 90 | Token | 1 Bronze |
| 91 | Token | 1 Silver |
| 92 | Token | 1 Gold |
| >92 | <special> | First item in Lost & Found Box |
+-------+-----------------+---------------------------------+
*) If the Player already possesses the found item, nothing is found.
#) The Player is immediately moved to Tower Hill and loses one
Bronze Token, if e has any.

If a Possession is Lost, it is immediately transported to the Lost
Property Office.

The Actioning Player places the Possession in the Lost & Found Box on the
GSD. If there is no room in the box, e must remove one or more of the
items already in the box. Those items are Destroyed.

The Actioning Player may place items in the Lost & Found Box, if
-there is room in the box
and
-no Lost Possession is waiting to be placed in the box.

The Lost & Found Box is conceptually a queue, where items are added in
the rear end and removed from the front end.
The Lost & Found Box begins empty:

+Lost & Found -----------------------------------------------------+
| |
+------------------------------------------------------------------+

<the L&F-box is to be added to the GSD>

Rule 1.4.x - Read All About It!

A Newspaper is a Papery posession that costs 1 Bronze Token.

When a Player purchases a Newspaper, it is 'stamped' with the
current game day. This makes it look like "<Day>'s Paper" in the
Luggage - for instance, an Newspaper purchased at 11:30 on a
Thursday would look like "Thursday's Paper". Newspapers that have the
same stamp as the current game day are said to be Today's, and
Newspapers that have a different day are said to be Yesterday's.

While a Player owns Today's Paper, e pays nothing to perform the
[Walking] Action. While a Player owns Yesterday's Paper, e pays nothing
to perform the [Walking] Action, but automatically discards the Paper
upon performing that Action.

<add to Action table>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Finding] Post x.x.x 30 -2 Br varies

</add to Action table>

<add to Emporium table>
+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+
| Possession | Cost | Qualities |
+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+
| Newspaper | 1 Br | Papery, Today's |
| Piano | 9 Br | Musical, Too Big! |
+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+

</add to Emporium table>

<add to Busking table>
[as bottom item]
* Piano - 1 Blue, 2 Red, 1 Bronze, 2 Green

</add to Busking table>

%%%

Special issues:

If the 'Garment' category is not defined, it shall be deleted in the table.

If the Money Belt is no more, it shall be deleted in the table, and the roll
of 23 shall produce a pair of gloves (thus changing the roll of 22 to be
22-23).
%%%

^^^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 733 - And you run and you run to catch up to the sun... (Amendment)

Rewrite Rule 1.13.3 (Carol Vorderman's Revenge) to:

{The main new bit - variable length moves}

The duration of a Player's Piece Normal movement is calculated by adding all
relevant times from the following table, rounded up to the nearest five
minutes:

+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
| Movement of Piece | Duration |
+--------------------------------------------------+----------+
| Moving through three stations or less | 10 mins |
| Moving through four, five or six stations | 15 mins |
| Moving through seven or eight stations | 20 mins |
| Moving through nine or more stations | 25 mins |
| Every station above ten moved through | +3 mins |
| Each change of line | +5 mins |
| Crossing the river | +2 mins |
| Changing more than two zones | +5 mins |
+--------------------------------------------------+----------+

For example, a move from Southfields to Bond Street, changing to the
Piccadilly at South Kensington and to the Jubilee at Green Park, would take
(25 + 5 + 5 + 2 + 5) rounded = 40 minutes.

Special Moves, and other Actions which do not move the Piece sequentially
through stations, do not use this table and take only ten minutes.

{And now for the more traditional part of the Rule}

All Actions have a duration of ten minutes unless otherwise specified.
Actions and Piece movement occur in sequence such that the total durationof
a Player's Turn is calculated by adding the durations of the individual
components.

Payment of Token forfeits and receipt of Token bonuses shall be considered
instantaneous, that is having no duration. A Move of Pass or Timeout shall
similarly have no duration.

{And a final fix at the end - I believe Kevan's point about a move being
invalid if an Action or Move is done at a time which is illegal (e.g. moving
to a station before it's open) is not yet remedied.}

If at any point during a Turn the total duration of all performed Moves and
Actions exceeds that of the allotted period of Game Time for that Turn, at
that point, that Turn shall be considered Illegal. Likewise, each Actionor
Move takes place at the point of time given by Game Time, and thus is judged
for its legality at that point in time of the Turn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 734 - Time and Motion Sickness [Amendment]

Adjust all Actions which have a duration of more than ten minutes - with the
sole exception of Busking - to have a duration of ten minutes.

{ Whether playing a Turn or checking an opponent's, it's a pain having to
look up which Actions are twenty minutes and which ten, and it's not even
slightly intuitive. Busking seems to be the only exception, in that its
copious Token benefit should only be awarded if you're willing to
sacrifice most of the rest of your Turn. I can see little need to keep the
other long Actions, though.

An intentionally over-dramatic solution, I confess, but perhaps the best.
I await comment. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 735 - Heading Them Off At The Pass [Amendment]

In the Token Collection Table, replace the Pass reward with:-

+----------------------------------------+--------------+
| Playing 'Pass' as eir Move | +2 Red or |
| | +2 Black or |
| | +1 Blue |
+----------------------------------------+--------------+

{ The Blue reward has been halved in light of the fact that two Blues can
be exchanged for a Gold, and that - Blues being "rarer" - everyone always
goes for them unless they've a particular need for Reds or Blacks. This
amendment should make it more of a decision. }

....and reword the non-Line-Change reward to:-

+----------------------------------------+--------------+
| Playing a non-Pass Move which did not | +1 Black |
| involve a change of Line | |
+----------------------------------------+--------------+

{ Clarifying that you don't get it for a Pass. }

And trim all those extraneous "during a Move"s from the table, as well,
actually (since the opening paragraph says "during eir Movement phase").

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 736 - Stack 'em High, Watch 'em Rot [Repeal]

Repeal Rule 1.14.2 (Stack em High, Sell em Cheap).

{ A semi-random bit of repealing - the Rule giving prizes for certain
arrangements of Tokens has never really been used much, leaves great
potential for future abuse (potential which has shied me away from
considering proposing any Stack-manipulation Actions), and is all
rather too arbitrary to remember or realise very easily. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 737 - Plastic? Are You Kidding? [Amendment]

{ Busking for Plastic Tokens seems very strange, and not terribly popular
either, if games so far are anything to go by. I suspect Busking would
become more strategic if the gathered wealth could exchanged for Golds;
here's a Proposal that amends appropriately, along with the ability
to use multiple instruments in a - whisper it - slightly realistic
fashion... }

Reword Rule 1.7.20 (Busking) to:-

A Player may perform the Action "[Busking]", provided that e is carrying
a Musical Possession and that Game Time is currently during Peak Hours.
Upon performing this Action, the Actioning Player gains a number of
Bronze Tokens according to the instrument(s) e is using. If the Player
has more than one Musical Possession, e may use as many of these as e
wishes, so long as the combined instruments do not require the use of
more than two hands, two feet and a mouth.

+-------------+---------------------+----------+
| Instrument | Body Parts Required | Reward |
+-------------+---------------------+----------+
| Drum | One Hand or Foot | 2 Bronze |
| Harmonica | Mouth | 3 Bronze |
| Casiotone | One Hand | 4 Bronze |
| Guitar | Two Hands | 5 Bronze |
| Violin | Two Hands | 6 Bronze |
| Saxophone | Two Hands and Mouth | 7 Bronze |
+-------------+---------------------+----------+

If a Player is carrying a Silly Hat, e gains an additional Bronze Token
whenever e Busks.

If the "[Wearing]" Action exists, replace "carrying" with "wearing" in
the previous paragraph. Remove this paragraph from the ruleset, either
way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 738 - Cunningly Fashioned Out Of Pure Green [Action]

{ Some overly bizarre nonsense for you. }

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Constructing Generator] Neut 1.7.x -2 Gr -2 Si
[Generating Token] Neut 1.7.x -1 Gr Varies
------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Player may perform the Action of "[Constructing Generator]" to put
together a Token Generator; upon performing this Action, the Actioning
Player gains such a Possession.

Token Generators are powered by a single Pigeon, and require a small
positive Charge to do their work - namely, converting a Green Token into
a Token of any other colour.

If a Player is carrying a Token Generator, a Pigeon and has a Charge
greater than zero, e may perform the Action "[Generating Token]" to
gain a Token of any colour which Tokens can possibly be.

Token Generators are rather heavy, however, and if a Player carrying one
ever has an LV greater than five, eir LV is immediately reduced to five.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dunx
--
Ceci n'est pas un .sig

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.eGroups.com - Simplifying group communications

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 12:05:57 -0000

These voting comments aren't as good an idea as I thought they'd be;
there's a large amount of pointlessness in not being able to respond
to someone's criticism until after votes have been tallied...

Someone said of my "Slight CAMREC Rumblings" Proposal (which passed
anyway, but I'd like the chance to explain myself):-

>Comments: [...] Otherwise, people will simply not ever move to MC as
>there is no point in paying the cost (as it is not a winning station.)
>Likewise, nobody would ever bother moving to MC in a Flag game if it
>cost three gold tokens to enter for no bonus.

As I thought I'd said somewhere, a three-Golds-to-enter Crescent has
quite a huge strategic significance, even if you don't Win for Moving
there; because the Game is geared to prevent Players from getting to
the Crescent, it's a very safe place to hide. I'd strongly consider
bothering to move, with Flag, to MC in a Flag game, on the basis that
anyone after it would have to go to just as much bother. Likewise the
Ostrich would do well to hide there, since its pursuers will have
trouble getting in.

It's also arguably necessary for the Ostrich variant; it'll be very
easy to Pounce the Ostrich if e starts the game at a bog-standard
Mornington Crescent and anyone can just wander in...

>Proposal 725 - Just Passing Through...

Hmm. Interesting idea, and I suppose it's a more intuitive use of the
word "Toll". I'm not sure how often it'll be used (have we *ever* had a
Toll paid?), but it's probably good to have around.

>Proposal 726 - *PECK!* (Spot the Ostrich Ruleset)

Not bad, although what happens if there isn't a Wild Station in another
Quadrant? (And maybe we should provide some Kneepads...)

>leaving.

Hmm. Is that really such an awful thing?

>(2) the current implementation is broken: what happens if the
>player is in Quadrant 0 where all other Quadrants are adjacent?

Then the spent Token gets destroyed, or at least that's how we've
been playing it. Reading the rules, it doesn't actually specify
where a Token goes if you can't place it...

>I can

Originally, of course, the rule was put in to avoid Players placing
Tokens in a Quadrant next door, for collection during their next Move.
If I remember correctly, we realised that this made Zone 1 rather too
powerful, in that you could easily zip to and from opposite Quadrants,
and I *think* this was why we came up with Quadrant Zero.

Quadrant Zero Tokens being lost seems a reasonable solution, anyway; I
think we just need to clarify this in the ruleset somewhere.

>Proposal 728 - Pachisi Crescent

An appealingly original game style, and I find it rather hard to picture
it being played (and really can't remember much about Ludo except that
it involves absolutely no skill at all); this may be one that we'll just
have to try to see how it goes. I suspect that the four Pieces are going
to make matters complicated, though; how much of a sacrifice it would be
to reduce it to one Piece, I don't know. Hmm.

>Proposal 729 - Yodeling

An amusing image, although the fact that not all Hill Stations are
actually on Hills (not to mention being, er, underground) does rather
spoil it. This does clash with Proposal 737 (Plastic? Are You Kidding?)
too, actually, since they both seek to adjust the same Rule...

>Proposal 730 - Size Matters

Probably worth having for the sake of future Proposals, I suppose. The
phrase "a Too Big Possession" strikes as clumsy, though...

> Therefore, no Standard Moves can be made during this time.

Hmm. An obvious and intriguing implementation, that. I suspect it will
disrupt the game rather too much, though; even if everyone manages to
get an hour's worth of Turn in, it's going to kick everyone's LV down
to zero as they Walk or Wild or whatever. Advancing Game Time (and
Farkling) becomes rather powerful; if someone's about to Win, just
put Game Time into the hours of darkness and they're reduced to abnormal
Moves.

> 0930 and 1400 on Mondays to Fridays, e adds 5 to eir roll.

Ah. Good one; you can Find stuff anywhere, but stand more chance of
doing so at Paddington. Only +5 to the roll, though? And why can't
you perform the Action outside of "working hours", elsewhere?

>Proposal 733 - And you run and you run to catch up to the sun... (Amendment)

Hmm. Horrible at first glance, but looking closer it's just a matter
of checking your LV and a couple of other things. I see some appeal
in this - that if you're charging around the board at foolish speeds,
you can't do as many other things - but the mathematician in me
wonders why your journey takes longer at higher speeds, and the non-
mathematician in me quakes a little at the idea of having to add these
things up every Turn, then take them into account for calculating Turn
duration. Tish.

Kevan

--
kevan@d...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove

---

From: dunx@l... (Duncan Ellis (Dunx))
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 17:02:25 GMT

>to someone's criticism until after votes have been tallied...

Hmm - I see what you mean.

Are people saying things in Voting Comments that they would never say publicly?
Is the anonymity good or ill?

Responses welcome; repeals more so.

Dunx
--
Ceci n'est pas un .sig