Subject: MN: Year 3 Week 13 Proposals

From: MN Speaker <speaker@d...>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 23:37:08 +0100

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNINGTON NOMIC

Proposals for Voting on in Week Thirteen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 827 - The Fast Game [Special]

/-----------------------------------------------------------------------------\
SECTION 2.x - The Fast Game
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Rule 2.x.1 - The Fast Game

In the Fast Game, the Players have 24 hours to submit eir Turn, instead of
the 36 hours mentioned in Rule 1.3.5.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 828 - Better Goo [Multiple]

If Proposal 819 has been adopted:

1.1 In
Rule 1.9.x - Goo!

replace

When the Action [Goo on <Station>] is played, the Station in
question becomes Gooey for one Round.

with

When the Action [Goo on <Station>] is played, the Station in
question becomes Gooey until a Player passes through the Station
during eir Move.
A Gooey Station is marked in the GSD with (Goo)

1.2 In
Rule 1.9.x - Goo!
after

Any Move passing through or beginning at a Gooey Station requires a
LV one higher than otherwise required. If several Gooey Stations are
involved, the required LV is adjusted once for each such Station.

insert

When [Goo on <Station>] is played, and a Player is occupying the
said Station, the said Player becomes Gooey, and 'Goo' (a Small,
Indestructible Possession) is placed in eir Luggage Rack.

A Gooey Player needs a LV one higher than otherwise required.
If a Gooey Player performs any Action that requires the Player to
have a Papery Possession, e destroys the Papery Possession as well
as the Goo in the process.
A Gooey Player crossing the river stops being Gooey(thus
destructing the Goo).

{How come Indestructible means Destructible In Defined Ways?}

2. In
Rule 1.4.x - Sticky!
replace

The Voltage of a Goo Gun can be increased by 'X' by playing the Action
[Voltage+X], but only if the Actioning Player has played the Action
[LV-X] previously in eir Turn, with X having the same value in both
Actions

with

The Voltage of a Goo Gun can be increased by 'X' by playing the Action
[Voltage+X], but only if the Actioning Player has played the Action
[LV-X] or [LV+X] previously in eir Turn, with X having the same
value in both Actions.

{That should increase the demand for Goo Guns, I hope.}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 829 - Bull's Eye [Multiple]

This proposal is in 4 parts.

1. Don't Shoot till You see the Red in his Eye [Amendment]
In
Rule 1.10.0 - Target Practice, replace

Any Action which targets another Player in this manner may be performed
only (1) if the Actioning Player shares a Station and Line with the
Target Player at the end of the Actioning Player's Move, and
(2) as the first Post-Move Action (thus, only one may be performed per
Turn), unless explicitly specified otherwise in the Rule defining that
Action.

with

These Actions fall in several groups:

1. The Shunt Group (Rules 1.10.1.x):
Actions that cause another Piece at the same Station as the
Actioning Player's Piece to be moved.

2. The Clamp Group (Rules 1.10.2.x):
Actions that create a Possession in the Luggage Rack of another
Player at the same Station as the Actioning Player.

3. The Shadowing Group (Rules 1.10.3.x):
Actions that change the LV, Charge and/or Token count of the
Actioning Player and/or another Player at the same Station as
the Actioning Player, based on the attributes of either Player.

4. Other Targeting Actions (Rules 1.10.4.x).

The Actioning Player may perform no more than one Action of groups 1-3
on any given other Player. If an Action falls in more than one group,
it is still counted as one Action.

2. I'm No Peter Pan [Amendment]

In
Rule 1.10.5 - The Coming of Shadows

replace
A Player may perform the post-Move Action of "[Shadowing <Player>]",
provided that "<Player>" is a Player (known as the Shadowed Player)
whose Piece's location is that of the Actioning Player's Piece.

with

A Player may perform the post-Move Action of "[Shadowing <Player>]",
provided that "<Player>" is a Player (known as the Shadowed Player)
who shares a Station and Line with the Actioning Player.

3. Never Mix Business and Pleasure [Renumbering]

Renumber Rule 1.10, thus:

1.10.0 (current 1.10.0, amended as above)
1.10.1 The Shunt Group
1.10.2 The Clamp Group
1.10.3 The Shadowing Group
1.10.4 Other Targeting Actions

1.10.1 The Shunt Group
1.10.1.1 (current 1.10.1) - A Shunting We Will Go
1.10.1.2 (current 1.10.3) - Dead-End Shunts
1.10.1.3 (current 1.10.17) - Stationary Shunts

1.10.2 The Clamp Group
1.10.2.1 (current 1.10.6) - The Velocity Bomb
1.10.2.2 (current 1.10.7) - Open the Cutlery Drawer, Mrs Higgins
1.10.2.3 (current 1.10.8) - The Narg Clamp explained
1.10.2.4 (current 1.10.9) - The Green Clamp
1.10.2.5 (current 1.10.10) - The Freem Clamp explained
1.10.2.6 (current 1.10.11) - Vermicious Knids
1.10.2.7 (current 1.10.13) - Consider Yourself Toffed
1.10.2.8 (current 1.10.14) - Magno-Clamps
1.10.2.9 (current 1.10.18) - Radiation

1.10.3 The Shadowing Group
1.10.3.1 (current 1.10.5) - The Coming of Shadows
1.10.3.2 (current 1.10.15) - But No Taxi
1.10.3.3 (current 1.10.16) - Blonk Cheque

1.10.4 Other Targeting Actions
1.10.4.1 (current 1.10.2) - Line 'Em Up, Knock 'Em Down
1.10.4.2 (current 1.10.12) - Knerdling

{This leads to a number of derived changes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain FR
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Anti-Narg] # Post 1.10.2.3 1Bk
[Attracting] Neut 1.10.2.8 varies
[Blonking <Player>] Post 1.10.3.3 20 1Re
[Dead-End Shunting <Player> to Post 1.10.1.2 1Re (S=LV)
<Station>] #
[Degreening] Post 1.10.2.4 2Gr
[De-Knidding] Post 1.10.2.6
[De-Radiating] Neut 1.10.2.9 1Re,1Bu
[De-Toffing] Post 1.10.2.7 1Bk
[Freeming <Player>] # Post 1.10.2.5 20 1Re,1Gr (S0,L0)
[Freem-away!] Post 1.10.2.5
[Greening <Player>] # Post 1.10.2.4 20 2Gr (S0,L0)
[Huffing <Player>] Post 1.10.3.2 (S0,L0)
[Knerdling] Pre 1.10.4.2 2Re
[Knidding <Player>] # Post 1.10.2.6 20 4Re (S0,L0)
[Magno-Clamping <Player>] # Neut 1.10.2.8 1Gr
[Magno-Gone] Neut 1.10.2.8
[Narging <player>] # Post 1.10.2.3 20 3Re (S0,L0)
[Radiating <Player>] Neut 1.10.2.9 3Re (S0,L0)
[Radio Clamp <ID> LV+X] Post 1.10.2.9 1Re
[Radio Clamp <ID> LV-X] Post 1.10.2.9 1Re
[Radio Clamp <ID> to <Station>] Neut 1.10.2.9 1Re
[Removing Velocity Bomb] Neut 1.10.2.1 2Si
[Shadowing <Player>] # Post 1.10.3.1 (S0,L0)
[Shunting <Player(s)> to Post 1.10.1.1 1Re (S0,L0)
<Station>] #
[Spooning <Player>] Post 1.10.2.2 20 1Go (S0,L0)
[Stationary-Shunting <Player> Post 1.10.1.3 1Re (S0,L0)
to <Station>]
[Toffing <Player>] # Post 1.10.2.7 20 2Re,1Gr (S0,L0)
[Unspoon] Post 1.10.2.2 5 any
[Velocity-Bombing <Player>] Post 1.10.2.1 3Re

In Rule 3.0.1, (1)
the mention of Rule 1.10.7 shall be changed to refer to Rule 1.10.2.2.

In Rule 3.0.1, (4) -"British Rail"...
the mention of Rule 1.10.6 shall be changed to refer to Rule 1.10.2.1.

}

4. Repeal Rule 2.4.5 [Repeal]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 830 - The Envelope, Please... [Amendment]

Amend Rule 0.9.4 to read thus: 

Each Nomic Week, several bonus Kudos Awards may be given out after 
Voting. These awards are administrated by the Speaker and are either 
Automatic, nominated to a specific Player during a Game, or nominated 
to a specific Proposal during Voting. 

Automatic Awards - these awards are given out every Week without the 
need for any nomination. 

* For E's a Jolly Good Fellow Award: +3 Kudos to the Speaker, for 
doing a grand job. 

Nominated In Game - these awards are nominated by Players during a 
Game as described for each Award. 

* Who's a Clever Bear? Award: +3 Kudos to the most nominated Player 

A player who feels that e has just performed a particularly 
clever or stylish sequence of Actions may perform the Action 
[Taking a Bow] immediately afterwards. Similarly, a Player who 
feels that another Player has just made such a move may perform 
the Action [Applauding <Player>]. Clarifying comments may be 
added in the Comments section of the GSD, if desired, and the 
play in question is considered Nominated. 

At the week's end, the Speaker will consider all moves so 
Nominated during the previous week, and award the Who's a 
Clever Bear? trophy to the Player whose move e deems to be the 
cleverest of the lot. (The Speaker may decline to award the 
Trophy if the only candidate is self-Nominated, and the Speaker 
feels the move in question to be unworthy.) 

The Speaker may give this Award to emself, provided that e was 
Nominated by another Player, and that there are no other 
Nominations that week. 

Nominated In Voting - these awards are nominated by Players with eir 
Votes. Each Player who is eligible to Vote may nominate one of the 
Week's Proposal for each of these Awards, although if a Player 
feels that no Proposal is suitable for an Award then e may decline 
to nominate anything. 

A Player may not nominate any of eir own Proposals. 

On completion of Voting, the Speaker shall tally the nominations 
for each Award and give the Kudos bonus to the Player who 
submitted the most nominated Proposal, provided that this Proposal 
received more than one nomination. 

In the event of a tie for an Award, all Players submitting a 
winning Proposal shall receive the bonus Kudos. If the same Player 
has submitted more than one winning Proposal for a particular 
award, e only receives one Kudos bonus for that Award. 

The awards are 

* Ruttsborough Award for Grandiosity: +1 Kudos/FOR vote to the most 
nominated Proposal. 

Awarded to Proposals that are particularly ambitious in scope 
and scale. Each vote For this Proposal shall score 2 Kudos for 
the Proposer instead of the usual 1. 

* IMCS Clarity Award: +3 Kudos to the most nominated Proposal. 

Awarded to Proposals that are particularly clear and concise. 
The Proposal need not be short, but its wording must be 
particularly clear and unambiguious. The Proposer shall receive 
a bonus +3 Kudos points. 

* CAMREC Cleanup Award: +3 Kudos to the most nominated Proposal. 

Awarded to Proposals that make particularly pertinent or 
perspicacious Amendments to the ruleset, e.g. fixing a loophole 
or a broken Rule. If the Proposal does so in some style, all 
the better. The Proposer shall receive a bonus +3 Kudos points. 

* Mrs Trellis Award for Entertainment: +4 Kudos to the most nominated 
Proposal. 

Awarded to Proposals that are particularly entertaining, 
amusing or just plain daft; Proposals that add to the fun of 
playing Mornington Nomic. The Proposer shall receive a bonus 
+4 Kudos points. 

{ Comment: the main point of this is to enable Player nomination of Awards 
rather than forcing the Speaker to choose, but I've taken the opportunity to
try and tidy up some of the wording which has degraded somewhat with other
changes. 

Note that some previous restrictions have changed: 

1. the Speaker can now receive Proposal awards, but since e can't nominate 
emself there isn't much scope for abuse. 

I nearly added a clause banning the Speaker from nominating since e is
the only one who knows who has made the Proposals, but decided against
it because it doesn't matter - in this scheme the Speaker only has one
nomination, after all. 

2. more than one Proposal can receive a particular Award - this was to 
avoid the need for the Speaker to have a casting vote and reintroduce 
the same kind of decisions this Proposal is intended to remove. 

3. one Proposal can receive multiple awards. 

One thing that is arguably missing from this reworking is the requirement to
publish the nominations received. Easily added later, though.
}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 831 - Indigestion [Amendment]

Um, remove the last paragraph of Rule 1.4.16 (Playing with Food):-

"The Actioning Player's LV is automatically decreased by an amount
equal to the cost of that Victual in Bronze Tokens during eir
next Turn. In both cases, the LV increase and decrease are applied
after any other LV adjustments, and before the Move."

{ I hope it's not just me that's been forgetting to do this; I thought
we lost this clause *weeks* ago. Oh well. As things are, a one-off
no-strings LV boost seems to be reasonable enough, after the cost of
buying the thing in the first place, and the lengthy eating process. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 832 - Buck the Pass [Multiple]

1. An End To Handouts [Amendment]

In Rule 1.4.20 (Token Collection Table), remove the reward for playing
"Pass" as one's Move.

2. Beggars *Can* Be Choosers [Action]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Begging] Neut 1.7.x +1 Plastic
------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Player may perform the Action "[Begging]" if e has played a Move of
"Pass" this Turn. Upon performing this Action, e may gain one Plastic
Token of a colour of eir choice, provided that e has no more than two
Tokens of that colour already.

{ Passing should be, I feel, something you do when you really can't do
anything else, bringing no particular benefit by itself. As commented,
the habit of Dollis Hill Loops to descend into tedious Passing is
particularly disappointing, as is the "oh, I might as well grab a Blue
while I'm here" sideline of Pigeon Catchers, mad Bombers and the rest.

This removes the benefit for Passing, but allows a Begging Action which
can be used to get Tokens if you're short of them (which was the
original intent of the Passing bonus). Reasonable replacement? }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 833 - Hitting the Ground Running [Amendment]

To Rule 1.8.1 (Dollis Hill Loop), add the paragraph:-

If a Player performs a Special Move to Dollis Hill, eir LV is not
adjusted as it would normally be.

{ So that building up LV in a DH Loop is actually *possible*... }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 834 - Anti-Narcissism [Amendment]

In Rule 1.10.5 (The Coming of Shadows), replace "is a Player" with "is
another Player".

{ Shadowing yourself is permissible and ludicrous, as things stand. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 835 - Brown and Sticky [Amendment]

Move Rule 1.10.12 (Knerdling) to Section 1.4, since it's a Possession thing,
rather than an offensive, targetted or post-Move Action...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 836 - Finding all the time [Amendment]

In Rule 1.7.53,

change 
A Player can perform the 30-minute Post-Move Action
of [Finding], but only between 0930 and 1400 on Mondays to Fridays.

to

A Player can perform the 30-minute Post-Move Action
of [Finding].

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Your Mornington Nomic Speaker
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications

---

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 16:45:56 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: MN Speaker <speaker@d...>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: 7. juli 1999 00:37
Subject: MN: Year 3 Week 13 Proposals

: --------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
: MORNINGTON NOMIC
:
: Proposals for Voting on in Week Thirteen
: --------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
:
: Proposal 827 - The Fast Game [Special]

I had thought of allowing multiple Timeouts, too, but that seemed
unnecessary and potentially messy.

:
: Proposal 828 - Better Goo [Multiple]
:
: If Proposal 819 has been adopted:
:

Well, it wasn't.

I still like the idea, so expect to see Goo again.

:
: Proposal 830 - The Envelope, Please... [Amendment]

: { Comment: the main point of this is to enable Player nomination of Awards
: rather than forcing the Speaker to choose, but I've taken the
opportunity to
: try and tidy up some of the wording which has degraded somewhat with
other
: changes.

Is Speaker choice so bad?
This reminds me of the discussions on bicameral parliaments. If both
chambers are elected by the same constituency, they will tend to be similar.
Here, the most popular proposals will win the awards.
I don't think I like democracy everywhere.

:
: Proposal 831 - Indigestion [Amendment]

I like it in. It's a bit of book-keeping, granted, but I still like the
fading of the boost.

:
: Proposal 832 - Buck the Pass [Multiple]
:
Very nice.

:
: Proposal 833 - Hitting the Ground Running [Amendment]
:
: { So that building up LV in a DH Loop is actually *possible*... }

That is not a bad thing.

:
: Proposal 834 - Anti-Narcissism [Amendment]
:

Bugfixing

:
: Proposal 835 - Brown and Sticky [Amendment]
:
: Move Rule 1.10.12 (Knerdling) to Section 1.4, since it's a Possession
thing,
: rather than an offensive, targetted or post-Move Action...

It is still closely related to Clamps. And it does include an element of
targeting. (-tt- ?)

:
: Proposal 836 - Finding all the time [Amendment]
:

Bugfixing, too.

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 08:19:14 -0700

> It is still closely related to Clamps. And it does include an element
of

All quite true, but the fact that it's a pre-Move Action means that you
can't ever perform it, since Actions in Section 1.10 have to be the
first post-Move Action, if anything. Similarly, it's unlikely that
you'll want to target someone who shares a Station, as all other
Section 1.10 Actions are required to.

Kevan

--
kevan@d...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 08:20:10 -0700

> the 36 hours mentioned in Rule 1.3.5.

I'm not sure this would give any noticeable increase in speed; there's
no
particular reason why Players wouldn't be as gentlemanly as they are
already, happily waiting a week for someone to make eir Move if it's
clear that person is otherwise engaged.

It may be interesting to add clause saying that any Move made more than
twenty-four hours after the last is automatically illegal, rather than
leaving it to discretion, but I wouldn't rush to play, my Internet
access and spare time being somewhat intermittent and unpredictable.

Or perhaps a "Short Game" variant requiring only one Gold to open MC...?

>{How come Indestructible means Destructible In Defined Ways?}

It used to be "Sticky", but was changed to something a little more
fitting. Maybe "Undroppable" would fit better. (Or, dare I say it,
"Cursed"...)

>Proposal 829 - Bull's Eye [Multiple]

Not bad. It'd certainly be nice to have something which allowed the
Shunting of more than one Player during a Turn, but at the same time
the existing "first thing you do after your Move" solution is quite
neat and intuitive (rather than Moving, Busking for fifty minutes
and then kicking a Player to Morden).

This does seem to overcomplicate the issue a bit, too, really. And,
more than anything, its casual destruction of the Volume/Section/Rule
structure is disturbing and, well, illegal according to the Ruleset.
As such, I fear the Speaker may have to discard it...

>Proposal 830 - The Envelope, Please... [Amendment]

It makes a lot of sense, but (from experience as Speaker) I think it's
going to be quite rare that popular opinion would differ terribly from
the whim of the Speaker. It's Dunx's call, really, as to whether he'd
mind the extra legwork. I suppose it would work quite elegantly in the
cgi Voting Booth...

>Proposal 836 - Finding all the time [Amendment]

Indeed.

Kevan

---

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 18:33:59 +0200

Kevan wrote:

: > : Proposal 835 - Brown and Sticky [Amendment]
: > :
: > : Move Rule 1.10.12 (Knerdling) to Section 1.4, since it's a
: Possession
: > thing,
: > : rather than an offensive, targetted or post-Move Action...
: >
: > It is still closely related to Clamps. And it does include an element
: of
: > targeting. (-tt- ?)
:
: All quite true, but the fact that it's a pre-Move Action means that you
: can't ever perform it, since Actions in Section 1.10 have to be the
: first post-Move Action, if anything. Similarly, it's unlikely that
: you'll want to target someone who shares a Station, as all other
: Section 1.10 Actions are required to.
:

I still wonder about Rules 0.2.8, 1.10.0 and 1.10.2 (and 1.10.12).

0.2.8 says that the Rules should work together, and that the specific should
take precedence over the general, as well as the explicit over the implicit.

1.10.0 is general and explicit in disallowing secondary targeting.
1.10.2 is specific, but implicit re 1.10.0 in allowing Double-Shunting.
1.10.12 is specific, too.

Ole

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 13:28:24 -0700

> 1.10.12 is specific, too.

I meant to comment about this when you raised it earlier, actually, but
forgot to get back to it. The way I read it, Double-Shunts are
impossible because 1.10.0 requires them to be played as the first
Action, and 1.10.2 requires them to be played after a Shunt. Just as
impossible as an Action which required Players to carry a Possession
which didn't exist in the game, or whatever.

1.10.12 is just as bad, although slightly more clear-cut, in that it
can only be performed as a pre-Move Action, and can also only be
performed as the first post-Move Action. Such a Rule conflict isn't
necessarily a problem (we may, for instance, add a different Action
which can cancel the effect of one or the other sides), but I'd say it
was messy enough to require attention - it doesn't create any dangerous
paradoxes in the ruleset, merely untidiness and confusion.

Kevan

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 13:28:24 -0700

Kevan

---

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 06:57:29 +0200

Kevan wrote:
: The way I read it, Double-Shunts are
: impossible because 1.10.0 requires them to be played as the first
: Action, and 1.10.2 requires them to be played after a Shunt.

Before I began nomicking, I would have argued along the same lines. So
you're probably right.

---

From: Dunx <dunx@d...>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 07:21:55 +0100

>mind the extra legwork. I suppose it would work quite elegantly in the

I shall 'fess up as the Proposer, here. My motivation in putting this
forward is that I don't feel like I'm offering anything more than my whim
in allocating awards. Frankly, nominating Awards is a chore.

The thinking was indeed that it would work well in the Voting Booth. A
handful of extra lines in a trio of templates and one Perl script, in fact.

I'll Speak later.

--
Dunx
Ceci n'est pas un .sig