Subject: MN: Re: Reworded Proposal 666

From: "Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan@f...>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:59:08 +0100

>> | -Amend Rule 1.5.0: the "LV Checks" section is to be amended as
>> | follows:
>> | "If the distance between the target Station and the Player's
current
>> | Piece location is not precisely the same as the Player's LV, and
the
>> | Player has not played an Action which permits a Special Move (as
defined
>> | under "Special Moves" in this Rule), then the Move becomes
Invalid."
>
>This leaves Line-Changing untouched, though; going Home to a different
Line becomes Invalid if you don't pay an extra Black, and all that. Not
too pleasing. This seems to be overcomplicating Rule 1.5.0 far too much,
really. And still has the problems I mentioned whenever I mentioned
them.

Nope, not as I read it: Home is in the "Special Moves" section of
Rule 1.5.0 (look at it), and thus exempt from Trivial Fares (see the
earlier amendments to the Line Change action contained in Proposal 666:
"Special Moves are not considered for Trivial Fares". Maybe this ought
to be "considered exempt from Trivial Fares", but the sense seems clear
enough to me: Trivial Fares (the Line-Change Black Token cost) clearly
apply only to non-Special Moves.)
Thus, as I read it, Homing or Wilding to a station on a different
line does *NOT* cost the Line Change black token, nor does any other
Special Move (the currently included ones in Rule 1.5.0 are Home, Wild,
Marmalade Sandwiches, Strile, Stubbery, Walking.) And nor, with this new
amended version of the Proposal, do they appear to be limited by the
Player's LV (the Proposer has evidently taken notice of that particular
bug you found), unless a specific amount of LV is needed for the Action
(e.g. LV >= 5 to Strile - mentioned in the Striling rule.)

However, Special Moves will also, it appears, not be eligible for
the same-Line bonus (which, for me, stands to reason: if there isn't a
penalty for changing Line with one, there shouldn't be a bonus for
staying on Line. Likewise the converse: if there *is* a bonus for
staying on Line when playing a Special Move, there should be a penalty
for not doing so. It appears the Proposer prefers the former
interpretation.)

It doesn't look too complicated to me: you can play a Special Move
(denoted by needing a Pre-Move Action to enable it, and considered a
teleport) or a Standard Move (LV-dependent, passes through the
intervening stations, and is eligible for a same-Line bonus or
different-Line penalty.)

Besides, the problem you point out (does Homing to a different Line
cost a Black Token for changing Line?) is already there in the original
ruleset, where it is not clear whether (1) a Home, Wild, or any other
Special Move, passes through the intervening stations or not, and (2)
whether they are counted for Line Changes (or the same-Line bonus) or
not. This Proposal certainly does not make the situation worse in that
respect - in fact, better, since it specifically states that they do not
pass through intervening stations (not previously clear), and makes them
ineligible for both the same-line bonus and the line-change fare (not
previously clear).

Jonathan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com