Subject: MN: Proposal Dunx0001 - New Section 0 [Ruleset]

From: Dunx <dunx@d...>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 22:14:26 -0800

{ Comment: Here's the formal Proposal of the new Section 0. As I say, I'm
looking for an Active Majority Mandate, and will close the Voting one
week hence (which rounding up is about 0700 GMT 12-Mar-2001). Post your
Votes on the discussion list, please. This Proposal is also on the web site. }

Enact the text between <<START and END>> as Section 0 of the New Ruleset.

<<START
/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| |
| MORNINGTON NOMIC - RULESET |
| |
| Volume 0 - Nomic Mechanics |
| |
| (Last updated during Year Four, Week Three) |
| |
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

/-------------------\
| Table of Contents |
\-------------------/

0 Nomic Mechanics

0.1 Terms of Reference
0.2 Rules and the Ruleset
0.3 Players
0.4 Proposals
0.5 Votes
0.6 The Nomic Week
0.7 Points of Order
0.8 Gaming Lounges

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
SECTION 0.0 - Nomic Mechanics
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Rule 0.0.0 - Rude Mechanicals

This part of the Ruleset details the mechanics and terminology used in
constructing rulesets.

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
SECTION 0.1 - Terms of Reference
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Rule 0.1.1 - The Name of the Nomic

The name of this Nomic shall be "Mornington Nomic".

Rule 0.1.2 - Terms of Reference

Within the Rules and other Official Documents, most words and phrases
should be given the interpretation they normally have in the English
language. However, some words and phrases may be explicitly redefined
within Official Documents to have a special interpretation in the Game of
Mornington Nomic. In particular, the capitalisation of a term tends to mean
that it is being used with some special Game-specific interpretation in
mind. However, such capitalisation is not a necessity and Game-specific
definitions for such words and phrases should also be used when it seems
more natural to do so.

Unless otherwise indicated, when a choice is specified to be made at
random, the intended meaning is that each possible selection should have an
equal probability of being chosen.

The Spivak terms "e", "em", "eir", "eirs", and "emself" should be
interpreted as gender-neutral third person pronouns which are the singular
variants of their plural counterparts "they", "them", "their", "theirs",
and "themselves" respectively.

The term "Mornington Crescent" in this Ruleset refers to, according
to context, either the game described in Volumes 1 and above, or the London
Underground Station of the same name. The term "Game" in this Ruleset can
mean either "Mornington Nomic" or "Mornington Crescent", but this should be
clear from context.

Rule 0.1.3 - The Only Way To Die

Whenever a Rule calls for a die-roll to be made, the person required to
make the roll shall do so using the dice server at http://www.pbm.com/dice,
with results being sent to the Game Lounge in which the die-roll is
required.

If a Player is required to make a die roll after eir Turn, that Player's
Turn is not considered to be complete until the roll is made; an incomplete
Turn may be timed out as if it had not been made. If the results of the die
roll should be interpreted by the rolling Player, eir Turn is not
considered complete until these interpretations have also been made.

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
SECTION 0.2 - Rules and the Ruleset
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Rule 0.2.1 - Numbering

Rules shall be numbered for reference purposes, with three numbers in the
format "[Volume].[Section].[Rule]" (eg. "1.3.4"), Volume and Section being
defined in the Ruleset's Table of Contents, and Rule being an integer
number used to distinguish between Rules within the same Section.

New Ruleset components shall be placed in a Volume and Section in
accordance with that suggested in the Proposal upon their Enactment. They
shall have a Rule number equal to the next successive integer number after
that of the last Rule in the relevant Section.

If a Rule is Amended its number does not change. Repealing one Rule does
not affect the Rule number of any Rule, except the one Repealed, which is
then removed.

A Renumbering Proposal allows the Speaker to rearrange the Rule Numbers in
a Section. The Rules in that Section shall be numbered with the lowest
ordinal Rule receiving the Rule Number 1, the next lowest 2, and so on,
with the exception of Rules which exist solely as a heading for a Section
or Volume which may have an ordinal number of 0.

Rule 0.2.2 - Change Or The Better

Ruleset components (that is Rules, Sections, or Volumes) may be marked with
a Mutability Modifier indicating how easy it is to change that ruleset
component. This Modifier is placed in square brackets after the name of the
ruleset component, and if omitted is assumed to be Unstable.

Any ruleset component having a particular degree of Mutability has a
corresponding Mandate requirement for that component to be changed
(Mandates are defined in Rule 0.5.1). The Mutability Modifiers are as
follows, in increasing order of ease of modification:

- Immutable: ruleset components marked as Immutable cannot have their
content changed. A Status Change Proposal must be passed with a Total
Majority Mandate to remove Immutability, at which point the ruleset
component becomes Static.

A Proposal to remove Immutability must be passed separately from and
before any Proposal to modify the content of an Immutable ruleset
component.

- Static: ruleset components marked as Static may be changed by passage of
a Proposal with Totally Unanimous Mandate.

- Stable: ruleset components marked as Stable may be changed by passage of
a Proposal with a Total Majority Mandate.

- Unstable: Sections or Rules marked as Unstable (or which are unmarked,
which is taken as a synonym) may be changed by passage of a Proposal
with a Active Majority Mandate.

In a Proposal containing changes which have different mandate requirements
(eg which call for changes to both one Static and one Stable Rule) then the
most demanding mandate is required for the entire Proposal.

Rule 0.2.3 - Rule Changes

Rule Changes that affect Rules needed to allow or apply Rule-changes
are as permissible as other Rule Changes. Even Rule Changes that
Amend or repeal their own authority are permissible. No Rule Change
or type of Move is impermissible solely on account of the self-
reference or self-application of a Rule.

Rules may also be changed by Rules, subject to constraints in the
Ruleset. Such Rule Changes shall be known as "Non-Proposed Rule
Changes".

Rule 0.2.4 - Free for All

Whatever is not prohibited or regulated by a Rule is permitted and
unregulated, with the sole exception of changing an Official Document,
which is permitted only when a Rule or set of Rules explicitly or
implicitly permits it. Official Documents include the Rules, Player's
Proposals, Votes cast and voting records, the list of current Players, Game
State Documents and any other document so designated by the Rules.

Rule 0.2.5 - Rule Conflict

All Rules shall be considered to work together implicitly. Rules shall
be evaluated with the specific taking precedence over the general,
the stated taking precedence over the implicit, and the more Immutable
taking precedence over the less so. Rules can explicitly state that they
defer to another rule or set of rules, or can state that they explicitly
take precedence over another rule or set of rules. Where a deference loop
or precedence loop exists (e.g. two rules that claim precedence over the
other), this shall be ignored and the other methods of evaluating rule
precedence listed in this Rule shall be used.

If two or more Rules are in conflict, or the validity or treatment of a
particular act in relation to these Rules is not clear or in question,
then the Speaker is empowered to raise an Emergency Proposal that will
amend as many of the rules as necessary to bring about a resolution of
the problem.

Rule 0.2.6 - Keep the Ruleset Tidy

In the Ruleset, the Speaker is free to make as many corrections of spelling
and layout as e sees fit, provided that these changes do not affect the
wording or meaning of the Rules. E need not inform the Players of these
corrections.

Rule 0.2.7 - Volume Control

The Mornington Nomic ruleset is divided into the following Volumes:

- Volume 0: the Nomic mechanics

- Volume 1: the Basic Rules for Mornington Crescent

- Volumes 2 and higher: Special Ruleset groups (related Special Rulesets
being grouped together)

Special Rulesets are adjuncts to the Basic Rules which add or modify the
Rules under which a Mornington Crescent game is to be played.

Special Rulesets may be referred to explicitly by name, or by number in
the form 'SR <X>' where <X> is the relevant Volume and Section reference.

No Special Ruleset may alter the rules of Mornington Nomic, directly
or otherwise.

Special Rulesets have no effect on any games of Mornington Crescent other
than those they are incorporated in. They may, however, be amended via
proposal in the same way as any other Mornington Nomic rules.

Special Rules always take precedence over the Basic Mornington Crescent
rules for any relevant Special Rules games, unless explicitly stated
otherwise in the Special Ruleset.

Special Rules may never take precedence over the Nomic Mechanic rules.

Otherwise, all Special Rules are treated in exactly the same way as
Basic Rules.

Special Rulesets may (but need not be) classified as follows:

* Options are Special Rulesets which add new elements to the Game

* Variants are Special Rulesets which modify the behaviour of other
Mornington Crescent Rules.

These are not hard and fast classifications, there being nothing to stop
Rules being both added and modified within a Special Ruleset.

Special Rulesets may depend for their use on the inclusion of another
Special Ruleset in a Game. Such a dependency must be stated clearly in the
text of the Special Ruleset.

Rule 0.2.8 - In Case Of Ambiguity, Break Glass

If a part of the Ruleset is ever regarded as being ambiguous, in a
manner which the Speaker feels requires urgent attention, e may ask the
Player responsible for that ambiguity to clarify the wording one way or
another. The Rule or Rules in question shall be immediately updated to
reflect this judgement, the amendment being announced on the mailing
list.

The Player responsible for an ambiguity is e whose Proposal (or other
activity) caused the ambiguity to come into effect. If no Player can be
regarded as being clearly and solely responsible for the ambiguity, the
Speaker may clarify it emself.

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
SECTION 0.3 - Players
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Rule 0.3.1 - Players and Player States

Anyone may apply to join Mornington Nomic by sending a request in an email
to the Speaker (see Rule 0.3.2) stating that they wish to join the game,
and giving a one-word Name by which they wish to be known. The Speaker will
then determine whether the application is successful. Any successful
applicant becomes a Player. The Speaker's decision is final in this matter.

There are two Player States: Active and Inactive. A Player may change eir
Player State at any time by sending a message to the list announcing the
change, which will take effect immediately. New Players are Active by
default.

A Player may at any time post a message to the Discussion Lounge announcing
a desire to change the Name e uses in Mornington Nomic. This change shall
take effect at the end of the current Game Week or after three days,
whichever is later, provided that no other Player objects to the change of
Name before then.

All Players must always abide by all the Rules.

Rule 0.3.2 - The Speaker

One Player shall hold the office of Speaker. The Speaker's role is to
maintain the ruleset, and perform various other functions as specified by
rules.

If the Speaker is unable, unwilling, or prevented by a rule, from
fulfilling any of eir tasks, e may designate a Deputy to take
responsibility for those tasks (either temporarily or permanently). Any
other Player who is willing and able is a valid candidate for the role of
Deputy Speaker. Throughout the Ruleset, the term 'Speaker' shall be read as
meaning the Speaker or Deputy Speaker, as appropriate.

Rule 0.3.3 - Filled Roles

Players in the game of Mornington Nomic may take on various Roles during
play. These Roles and their responsibilities include (but are not
necessarily limited to):

- Speaker: as defined in Rule 0.3.2

- Player in a Mornington Crescent Game: such a Player makes Move in Games
in which e is participating in accordance with the Rules for that Game.

When a Player's State changes to Inactive, an asterisk is marked next to
eir name in the Game State Document of any Games in which e is currently
taking part and eir turn is skipped until e changes eir state back to
Active.

- Proposer: defined in Rule 0.4.2

- Voter: defined in Rule 0.5.3

Rule 0.3.4 - Can You Hear Snoring?

Any Player may Inactivate another Player by announcing this fact in the
Discussion Lounge, provided that the Inactivated Player has neither Voted
nor played a Mornington Crescent move for more than three weeks.

When a Player is Inactivated in this fashion, e becomes Inactive.

Rule 0.3.5 - Resignation

Any Player may Resign from a Game of Mornington Crescent or from Mornington
Nomic as a whole by posting a message to the Discussion Lounge informing
the other Players of eir wish.

If a Player Resigns from a particular Mornington Crescent Game eir name is
removed from those parts of Game State Documents which record the current
Game position (eg ownership of Game elements).

If a Player Resigns from Mornington Nomic, it is treated as if e has
Resigned from all Mornington Crescent Games which e was participating in at
the time of Resignation.

Any Player may submit a Proposal of Type Resignation, Proposing that a
Player be Forced to Resign either from a particular Mornington Crescent
Game or from Mornington Nomic. This requires a Mandate of Active Unanimity.

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
SECTION 0.4 - Proposals
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Rule 0.4.1 - Proposals

Each Proposal submitted by a Player should have a name (typically summing
up the aim of the Proposal in a few words, usually in the form of a very
bad pun), a Type, any amount of text stating what the Proposal should do
if it is Voted through, and any amount of commented text explaining
anything the Proposer feels the need to explain.

Proposals may be of the following types:-

* Ruleset - To manipulate the content of the ruleset. All such
manipulations in a single Proposal should have one
general aim or effect. Ruleset Proposals may consist
of any number of sub-Proposals of the following types:
+ Enactment: To create one new Rule or Ruleset
component to be added to the Ruleset.
+ Amendment: To change the wording of one existing
Rule in the manner detailed in the Proposal.
+ Repeal: To remove one Rule, as specified by the
Proposal, from the Ruleset.
* Renumbering - To renumber all the Rule Numbers in a particular
Subsection, or to renumber a single Rule.
* Resignation - To force another Player to Resign.
* Mutability - To change the Mutability Modifier of a Rule, Section,
or Volume by one level of Mutability.

Commented text is signified by surrounding it with curly braces, and
is entirely ignored if the Proposal passes and alters the Ruleset.

Rule 0.4.2 - Proposal Submission

Any Active Player may put forward a Proposal for the consideration of other
Players. This is done in the role of Proposer.

Each Proposal must have a unique number, being the name of the Proposer
together with an index number one more than the last Proposal which was
published by that Proposer. A resubmission of a previous Proposal whether
modified or not is still considered to be a new submission which requires a
new Proposal number.

Further, for a Ruleset Proposal containing Enactments some indication must
be included of where exactly these new Ruleset components would reside.

The Proposer submits the Proposal to the Discussion Lounge with a subject
line beginning "MN: Proposal <n>", where <n> is the Proposal number, and
including the title of the Proposal.

At any time prior to the close of Voting a Proposer may withdraw a Proposal
which e has submitted for consideration by notifying this fact to the
Discussion Lounge. The Proposal is then considered never to have been
submitted and any Votes cast in relation to it are discarded.

Note that there is no limit on the number of Proposals which may be open
for consideration at any given time, but Proposers are encouraged to use
common sense in not swamping the other Players.

Similarly, there is no explicit prohibition of submitting and re-submitting
modified versions of a particular Proposal idea until it passes, but again
the Proposer is urged to use common sense in not continually submitting
Proposals which e knows will always fail.

Rule 0.4.3 - Proposal Enactment

A newly enacted Proposal takes effect at the moment at which Voting Results
for that Proposal are published in the Discussion Lounge. No Proposal may
have any retroactive effect, explicit or otherwise. The wording of a
Proposal has no effect until it has enacted.

When a new Ruleset component is created, it takes the name of the Enactment
Proposal (or Proposal section) that Enacted it.

In order to simplify the incorporation of new text into the Ruleset,
Proposals containing content which is to inserted verbatim should be
formatted in a similar way to the Ruleset.

The implementation of the Proposal is performed by the Proposer, the
modified Ruleset Volumes being sent to the Speaker.

Permission to perform the Proposal implementation edits must be sought from
the Speaker. Only one Proposer may edit the Ruleset at any given time, in
order to prevent conflicting changes being applied simultaneously. If such
permission is not obtained, the Speaker has the right to ignore the edits. 

If the Speaker feels that a Proposer is taking an unreasonable amount of
time to implement a Proposal, especially if the implementation of other
Proposals is being blocked by such apparent inaction, permission to edit
the Ruleset may be withdrawn. Notice of such withdrawal must be posted to
the Discussion list.

Rule 0.4.4 - We Are Not Men, We Are Veto

The Speaker may Veto the consideration of any Proposal which is before the
Players if e feels that there is undue duplication or conflict with other
outstanding Proposals, or if the Proposal number is not unique, or for any
other reason. A Proposal being Vetoed means that it is not voted on and
cannot become a part of the Rules. The Speaker must publish the reasons for
eir decision to the list. A Point of Order may be raised (in the usual
way) if a Player feels that the Speaker's reason was not valid.

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
SECTION 0.5 - Votes
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Rule 0.5.1 - Mandates and Their Application

In order for a Proposal to be Enacted it must achieve the necessary
Mandate, a Mandate being the required proportion of FOR Votes within a
particular set of possible Voters.

The following are Mandates which are specifically recognised, but others
are possible and may be specified as necessary (the most likely
qualification being that a specific percentage of a voting population must
be in favour):

1/ Total Unanimity - all Players Voted in favour

2/ Active Unanimity - all Active Players Voted in favour

3/ Simple Unanimity - all Players who Voted were in favour

4/ Total Majority - a majority of all Players Voted in favour

5/ Active Majority - a majority of Active Players Voted in favour

6/ Simple Majority - a majority of those who Voted were in favour

Rule 0.5.2 - When to Vote

All Votes for a Proposal must be submitted in the calendar week following
the publication of that Proposal.

Rule 0.5.3 - Voting and Proposal Adoption

All Players who are Active at some point during the voting period for a
Proposal are considered to be the Voters for that Proposal. Players not
Active at all during that period may not vote in regard to that Proposal.

The Proposer may not Vote.

A Voter may cast eir Vote on a Proposal by sending an email to the
Discussion Lounge with the subject line "MN: Vote on <n>" where <n> is the
Proposal number being voted on. If the email does not have this subject
line, votes may be considered invalid.

Votes for multiple Proposals may be cast in a single message by including
the Proposal numbers of all the Proposals being voted on in the email
subject line.

Valid votes are FOR, AGAINST or PASS. Any other vote is invalid. Each Voter
has exactly one vote per Proposal. If a Player attempts to vote for a
single Proposal more than once, only the latest valid vote shall be
counted.

In order for a Proposal to be adopted, it must achieve its required Mandate.

Rule 0.5.4 - Abstention and Default Mandates

If a Voter could have voted on a particular Proposal and chooses not to, e
is considered to have abstained and a Vote of PASS is recorded. 

Unless otherwise specified, a Proposal must achieve a Mandate of an Active
Majority, that is that more Voters voted in favour of the Proposal than the
total of those who Voted against or passed.

Rule 0.5.5 - Direct Tinkering Ban

If the passing of a Proposal would directly cause any aspect of the Nomic
other than the Ruleset to be altered, the Proposal must achieve Simple
Unanimity to pass. This takes precedence over all other Rules regarding the
passing of Proposals.

Rule 0.5.7 - Voting Comments

In addition to Voting on a particular Proposal, a Player may also add a
Comment. This is a piece of text enclosed in curly brackets ('{' and '}')
appended after the Vote, such that it is clear which Proposal the Comment
is referring to.

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
SECTION 0.6 - The Nomic Week
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Rule 0.6.1 - Theocracy of Muntab

The Game of Mornington Nomic shall be counted in Nomic Weeks and
Nomic Years. The Nomic Week number is incremented each Nomic Week,
and the Nomic Year number incremented once on the 16th of April
every year. The Nomic Week and Nomic Year have no bearing on Game
numbers.

Rule 0.6.2 - The Week-End

The Nomic Week ends at 11:59am on Tuesday, unless altered by the Speaker.
Only the end of the current Nomic Week may be extended (it cannot be
shortened) and each Nomic Week must be a minimum of 4 days. After any
extension, the end of the following Nomic Week defaults to the next Tuesday
at 11:59am which is over 4 days from the end of the extended Nomic Week.
All Players must be informed of the extension of a Nomic Week, by the
Speaker. The next Nomic Week begins immediately after the previous Nomic
Week ends.

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
SECTION 0.7 - Points of Order
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Rule 0.7.1 - Points of Order

If a Player is concerned about aspects of the Game State, wordings or
spellings within the Ruleset, or any point e considers to be minor, e
may email the Speaker to this effect. Corrective action shall be taken
by the Speaker if e feels it to be appropriate, and announced on the
Discussion Lounge.

The email containing the Point of Order should have a subject
line of 'MN: Point of Order'. If it does not have this subject
line, the Point of Order may be considered invalid.

If any Player is unhappy with the result of a Point of Order, e may
make an Emergency Proposal to correct it.

Rule 0.7.2 - Emergency Proposals

If a Player is concerned about serious aspects of the Ruleset, e may
make an Emergency Proposal. This is effectively identical to a normal
Proposal, and should be emailed to the Speaker along with indication
that it is an Emergency Proposal. This email should have a subject
line of 'MN: Emergency Proposal' - if it does not, it may be considered
invalid.

The Speaker forwards the Eprop to the Discussion Lounge. Any Player other
than e who made the Eprop may submit a Vote on that Proposal, emailing it
to the Speaker.

After twenty-four hours have elapsed (excluding weekends), the Votes are
tallied for the Emergency Proposal. The Eprop is treated as a normal
Proposal for the purposes of determining enactment, with the exception
that Quorum is ignored.

If the Proposal passes, it takes effect immediately.

When announcing the results of voting on the Emergency Proposal, the
Speaker must distribute a record of how the votes were cast.

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
SECTION 0.8 - Gaming Lounges
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Rule 0.8.1 - The Lounges

Mornington Nomic takes place on a number of mailing lists, known as
Lounges. There are five Game Lounges and one Discussion Lounge - the
Game Lounges are used to play the game of Mornington Crescent, and the
Discussion Lounge is a forum for discussing aspects of the Nomic, as well
as the announcement of Voting Results, Proposal distribution, and so
forth.

Each of these Lounges has a mailing list set up for it, with the following
addresses being those you should post messages to:-

* The Discussion Lounge - [email-masked]
* The Brooke-Taylor Lounge - [email-masked]
* The Cryer Lounge - [email-masked]
* The Garden Lounge - [email-masked]
* The Lyttleton Lounge - [email-masked]
* The Rushton Memorial Lounge - [email-masked]

Each non-Discussion Lounge may have a Game being played within it; all
postings relevant only to that Game should be made to the appropriate
mailing list.

To subscribe to any of the Lounges, send a blank email to
"l-nomic-<Lounge>[email-masked]", where "<Lounge>" is the
appropriate letter.

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
All Mornington Crescent Rules (C) Copyright the Mornington Nomic Team 1997-2001
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------/
END>>

-- 
Dunx
The only Ultimate Truth is that there isn't one.

---

From: "Kevan Davis" <kevan@s...>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 18:13:50 -0000

Hm, not entirely sure about the multitude of majority/mutability 
types, or the enforced "sub-proposal" multiple-proposal approach 
(what's wrong with a bit of vagueness?), but it all seems perfectly 
robust and well-written. I vote FOR.

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"Give a man a fish, he'll be surprised."