Subject: Re: MN: Draft Ruleset

From: riffraff@n...
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 18:47:15 -0500

>> I think, traditionally, we've played it with the duration ending at
>the _beginning_ of the post-move phase...
>
>I just cut+pasted it from the current ruleset. If you makes a Action
>at the end of the post-move phase then it doesn't affect your current
>Turn so it should affect the next Turn.

Well, it depends on when you play it. If it's your first Action after your
Move, you get a post-move phase's worth of effect.

>> "interchange: An interchange station is one that has at least 3
>> adjacent stations."
>>
>> This isn't actually true...
>
>It's only not true if we decide it's not true. This definition is more
>general and less likly to change with new LU maps.

But what about the Interchanges that _don't_ have 3 adjacent Stations?
We could just define Interchanges as "a thing on the map" like Zones and
Lines. :)

>
>> 'Pass through' - A Station that is stepped to during a Player's
>Move, excepting the Station the Move is finished at, is considered to
>have been passed through.
>
>OK, but the Station finished at is stepped to (so isn't an exception),
>but the first Station isn't (so is an exception).
>
>'Pass through' - A Station is passed through if it has been stepped to
>or from during a Player's Move.

Except that the Stations you start and finish at aren't passed _through_.

>> 'Occupy' - On a Player's turn, the Stations e started and ended eir
>Move at, as well as any Station moved to or from using piece-moving
>Actions, are considered to have been occupied by that Player during
>that turn. Other players are considered to be occupying the Stations
>they are currently located at.
>
>This allows Players to "occupy" several Stations at the same time. How
>about: "A Player occupies the Station e is currently located at." Or
>is that a circular definition?

The important phrase is "have been occupied", meaning a Station that you
spent some time at instead of just moving through (which is why I made that
exception in the 'passed through' definition above). If you start at
Station Foo, Move to Station Bar, perform a couple post-move Actions, and
then straddle to Station Baz, then that's three Stations that you've
occupied over the course of your Turn. Once your turn is over, however,
you only occupy the Station you're standing on at the end of your turn.

The distinction might be important for certain actions, i.e. a token could
be dropped at any Station you happened to pass through, but you could only
create the PoID at a Station you've actually occupied.

--Riff

"This calls for a subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--Vyvyan, "The Young Ones"

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 20:53:05 +0100

> Move, you get a post-move phase's worth of effect.

If you do something really evil that lasts a round it is only fair
that it affects you as well.

> Except that the Stations you start and finish at aren't passed
_through_.

OK, I see, I misread your definition. I thought you were specifically
including the last Station rather than excluding it.

> >> 'Occupy' - On a Player's turn, the Stations e started and ended
>
> exception in the 'passed through' definition above

"A Player may Block a Station adjacent to the one e currently
occupies." allows the Player to Block Stations that e shouldn't be
able to. It also allows vacuum-occupation; make a pre-Move action
dependant on occupying the Station the Move is made to. Maybe e
wouldn't be able to move to that Station unless the Action was played.

> create the PoID at a Station you've actually occupied.

Make "occupy" mean the current location (the piece is stationary). And
use "has occupied during this turn" for situations where it is needed
(I don't think there are many).

-- Snow
Making sculptures out of oxygen.