Subject: MN: Re: Year 3 Week 2 Proposals

From: "Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan@f...>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 02:06:11 +0100

>{ Speaker's Comment: I find it fairly incredible that we have two
totally
> different Proposals for Huffing this Week... weird. }

So do I - but I like both of them, and would like to see both of
them pass, so I suggest that one should be renamed, perhaps to "Toffing"
(also part of real MC and in the IMCS rulebook and Encyclopaedia
Morningtonia) - otherwise it's a straight choice between the two, and
IMHO both ideas are good enough to keep. It will have to be agreed
between the proposers of the ideas first, though, otherwise both might
change and we would be left with the same situation...
My suggestion (as the proposer of 688) is the simpler Proposal 693
is probably better to change its name, as my own more complex one
(Proposal 688) claims to me to be more in keeping with the existing
Encyclopaedia Morningtonia (an attacking block that leaves the huffed
player where e is, but facing in the opposite direction and heading back
the way e came.) However, if the Proposer of 693 is not willing to
change the name of the Action (please announce this within two days)
then I shall mail the Speaker amending Proposal 688 to change all
references in my "Huffing" proposal to "Toffing" on Thursday evening.

Also, just a note to the Speaker to mention the effect of Proposal
687 on both Huffing proposals: if Proposal 687 passes, whichever (or
both) of the Proposals 688 and 693 pass should be renumbered into the
Anti-Player Actions section, (rather than to 1.4.27 as Proposal 693
suggests.)

Jonathan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com

---

From: kevan@d...

Content-Type: text/plain
Subject: MN: Re: Year 3 Week 2 Proposals
X-Mailer: www.eGroups.com Message Poster
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <pid6065.1999.April.26.8:[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:48:16 -0000
In-Reply-To: <003c01be8b93$26410000$b13e883e@f...>
From: kevan@d...
To: [email-masked]

> references in my "Huffing" proposal to "Toffing" on Thursday evening.

Sorry I've not gotten back on this one sooner - Proposal 693 was mine, and after musing a bit I think it's probably more deserving of the "Huffing" trousers. Not being familiar with the Morningtonia defition, I chose an implementation which might make a huffing sort of sound - adjusting LVs without actually affecting anything else seemed quite fitting.

"Official" Huffing doesn't fit entirely neatly with the current game, since there's normally no real concept of facing a direction (perhaps there should be; bounding back and forth U-turning with a high LV seems quite counter-intuitive). I think Huffing fits an LV shift better than Toffing, but it really depends if both of these pass or not...

I'm presumably too late anyway, of course. Sorry I've not said anything sooner; absent-mindedness, busyness and relaxation away from computers.

Kevan

--
kevan@d...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.eGroups.com - Simplifying group communications