Subject: MN: Year 3 Week 23 Proposals

From: "MN Speaker" <speaker@d...>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 21:58:55 +0100

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNINGTON NOMIC

Proposals for Voting on in Week Twenty-Three
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 897 - Did You Spill My Podumes? [Multiple]

Replace the word "Stribble" with "Topple" throughout the Ruleset, and
rename Rule 1.7.55 (Stribble me Timbers) to "Did You Spill My Podumes?".

{ A more intuitive term; I keep expecting Stribbling to be a Piece-mover,
along the lines of Straddling and Striling. I'd rather see Stribbling
freed up for something else, and Toppling (an idea I'd been meaning to
include for a while, but which seems eminently covered by Stribbling)
written in. }

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 898 - Block Block [Multiple]

1. Tetris [Amendment]

In Rule 1.9.1 (Basic Blocks), replace "is a Station adjacent" with "is an
unoccupied Station adjacent".

{ Too powerful, otherwise; a single Red to paralyse someone is quite harsh,
even more so if done after a Clamp and Straddle-to-adjacent-Station. Ugh.
This takes it back to how things used to be, anyway. }

2. Lucky the Guys Told Me My Bedroom Was On Fire [Amendment]

In Rule 1.9.2 (Escalator Fires), replace "is a Station which" with "is an
unoccupied Station which".

{ Noticing a Fire at an occupied Station is rather silly. Not to mention
rather powerful. }

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 899 - Nomic Nostalgia [Enactment]

Each Player who voted AGAINST this Proposal gains ten Kudos. The
Speaker shall select a random Player who voted FOR this Proposal -
that Player gains twenty Kudos.

This Rule will then repeal itself.

{ Sorry, I'm just at a loose end and harking back to the days of "proper"
Nomic being-at-a-loose-end malarkey. A bit meaningless when Kudos
doesn't count for anything, but still. }

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 900 - Free for All [Enactment]

Create a new section

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
SECTION 2.x - Free for All
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Rule 2.x.1 - Free for All

In Free for All no restriction is placed on the order Player's make 
Turns. A Player may make one or more consecetive Turns. However each
Player must wait for a minimum of 36 hours (excluding weekends) between
each of eir Turns.

If an event is said to last for one Round then it lasts to the start of
any Player's second Turn since the event started. The Turn which caused 
the event counts as that Player's first Turn. If an event lasts for n 
Rounds then n+1 turns must be made by any Player before the event ends.

Rule 2.x.2 - Rule by Force

If no Player has made a Turn for 72 hours (excluding weekends) then any
Active Player may announce to the list that the Game is being Forced, e
then becomes the Forcing Player. When a Game is being Forced the Active
Player who has taken the longest time since eir last Turn becomes the 
Forced Player and must make the next Turn.

If the Forced Player doesn't make a Turn within 36 hours (excluding weekends)
the Forcing Player may make a Turn for er. The only restriction placed
on this Turn is that is must not include the [Giving Tokens to <Player>]
Action.

If the Forcing Player does not make a Turn within 36 hours then any Player
may make a Turn for the Forced Player as long as it does not contain the 
[Giving Tokens to <Player>] Action.

The Game stops being Forced when the Forced Player makes a Turn.

If the Forced Player becomes Inactive a Turn may still be submitted for er.

{
Note that Players can still be timed out after 36 hours (and hence can't
make another Turn for 36 hours).
} 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 901 - Why can't I make 23 consecative Turns? [Enactment]

Add to the end of
Rule 1.3.2 - Playing Sequence

No Player may make two consecative Turns. If there is only one Active Player
in a Game and that Player has made the most recent Turn then the Game will go
on hold until another Player becomes Active. At that time it becomes the Turn
of the newly Activated Player.

Add to the end of
Rule 1.1.1 - How to Win

If there is only one Active Player in a Game then the Win must be confirmed
by the Speaker. The Speaker may Buzz the Turn if e feels it is invalid.

If there is only one Player in a Game then it should be abandoned.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 902 - Shared Stories [Enactment]

I propose this new section:

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
SECTION 2.x - Shared Stories
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Rule 2.x.1 - Tell a Story

Shared Stories is an annotated game of MC, in which Notes are compulsory.

The compiled Notes of a game must constitute a continuous story.

Each Player's Note for a given Turn must consist of a number of words
equal to eir LV at the end of eir Turn.

The winning Player must finish the story with eir submitted Note.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 903 - Solipsism [Enactment]

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
SECTION 2.x - Solipsism
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Rule 2.x.1 - Me, Myself and I

In Solipsism, all Players share the same Piece, and there is no Drone.

Since no two Pieces can share a Line or Station (as there is only one
Piece), all Actions having such a requirement are void.

Each Player has eir own Home Station, LV, Charge and Tokens.

The [Home] Action may not be played more than once by each Player.

==============================================================================

These Proposals have been reproposed from Week 22.

==============================================================================

Reproposal 904 - Busy Buzzy Bee [Multiple]

Reword Rule 1.16.1 - One Good Turn

A Turn may be Legal, Questionable, Illegal or Mistimed.

Turns are Legal by default; if the most-recently taken Turn is Legal play 
may continue as normal.

If a Turn is not Legal, play may not continue until the Turn has been
established as Legal or Illegal. All Turns following a non-Legal Turn are
deemed Mistimed.

If a Turn is Illegal it, and all Turns that follow it, are deemed never to
have occurred and play continues from the most recent Legal Turn.

{
Mistimed Turns become Legal if the Buzzed Turn becomes Legal, so Buzzing is
not an underhand way to retake a regretted Turn.
}

In Rule 1.16.2 - Buzzing 
replace the sentence

If a Player believes that another Player has made a Turn which is not in
accordance with the Rules being used for that Game, and if no more than
three other Turns have been made since, e may Buzz that Turn. 

with

If a Player believes that another Player has made a Turn which is not in
accordance with the Rules being used for that Game at the time the Turn 
was subbmitted, and if no more than three other Turns have been made since,
e may Buzz that Turn.

{
Stops Turns being Buzzed that were valid at the time taken, but not after
a Ruleset change.
}

Add to the end of 
Rule 1.16.2 - Buzzing

If a Turn is currently being Buzzed then no further Buzzes can be made in 
that Game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reproposal 905 - Charge Matching [Amendment]

Remove the phrase "if charge does not match" from the [Opening MC] Action in
the Action table.

{
I don't know what this means, but I can't find any reference to 
it in the rest of the Ruleset so I'll assume it's a hang-on from
some earlier Rule.
}

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reproposal 906 - Y2K bug [Enactment]

Rule 2.1.x - Y2K bug 

Rule 1.7.62 (Let's go to the Dome, Simone) does not apply to the Long
Game.

This Rule will repeal itself on the second of January 2000.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reproposal 907 - No Walkouts [Amendment]

Rewrite
Rule 1.8.6 - Loop the Loop

A Game may be in one of several Loop states, each of which must have the
following defining features:-

* One or more Trap Stations.
* A Sidestep Action to allow a Player to avoid being drawn into the
Loop.
* A Terminate Action to allow a Player to end the Loop.

If a Player finishes er Turn at a Trap Station and is not at the same Station
e started er Turn at then the Game enters the Loop associated with that Trap
Station. The Game does not leave the Loop until the Terminate Action for that
Loop is made.

When a Game is in a Loop, a Move to any Station other than the Next Station in
that Loop is an Invalid Move, and a Special Move to the next listed Trap Station
for that Loop is permitted (if no more are listed, a Special Move to the first
in the list is permitted).

If a Player performs the Sidestep Action, e ignores the Loop for the remainder
of eir Turn.

{
At the moment if a Player is Timed out at a non-Trap Station or (possibly)
Walks away from a Trap Station the Loop ends.
}

MN Speaker
-Waving my legs in the air like a deranged koala bear.

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 21:04:57 +0100

> along the lines of Straddling and Striling.

Yes me too.

> { Too powerful, otherwise; a single Red to paralyse someone is quite harsh,

You can always walk out and attack. Or block back

> { Noticing a Fire at an occupied Station is rather silly. Not to mention

I suppose so.

> Proposal 900 - Free for All [Enactment]

Enhanced Fast Game Super-Plus-Turbo.

> Proposal 902 - Shared Stories [Enactment]

This is sort-of Cheddar Gorge. Although I like the idea, I can't really see this working without
completely ignoring the Vanilla Ruleset and just making up a new game, in which case it wouldn't
really be MN...

I think the problem is that a game that involves collabrative story telling can't really be
competative and hope to make good stories. The story telling bit just has too much of a tacked-on
feeling.

I would rather leave it to Not York and MCiOS.

> Proposal 903 - Solipsism [Enactment]

I can't see anyone winning this. Players would just stay away from MC. Maybe if it was combined with
Free for All......

Snow
-Rucksack is not an anagram of Ann Widdecombe.