Subject: MN: Updated Proposal - Czech Variant

From: dunx@l... (Duncan Ellis (Dunx))
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 22:51:01 GMT

{ Speaker's Comment: this Proposal is still to be Voted on in Week One, since
six days remain in the Week. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 679 - Czech Variant [Special Ruleset]

{ Comment: An updated version of the Czech Variant, fixing the dubious
proofreading in Piece Maker (as spotted by RiffRaff) but also addressing
some rather ambiguous starting positions for Tourists in Jump Start. }

[Enactment: Piece Maker]
In a Czech Variant Game, a Player has control of the following types of
pieces (with their analogue in chess):

* Commuter (king) - moves in the same way as a Vanilla Piece. The
Commuter is considered to own the LV, Tokens, and other Player
possessions.
* Driver (rook) - can move with an unlimited LV on its current line,
or on a line serving its start position. May only change line at
its start station.
eg a Driver at Angel may Move to any Station on the Bank branch
of the Northern Line, or to any Station North of Camden Town or
South of Kennington.
a Driver at Ealing Broadway may move freely to any Station on
the Central or Piccadilly line not requiring a change in line
direction.
* Inspector (queen) - may move as a Driver, or may Charge Tunnel
without cost in lieu of a Move.
eg an Inspector at Angel may Move to any Station on the Bank branch
of the Northern Line, or to any Station North of Camden Town or
South of Kennington. It may alternatively Charge Tunnel to Bank
(which would be pointless), Marble Arch or Knightsbridge.
* Busker (knight) - moves by straddling as if standing on a three token
stack.
* Tourist (pawn) - can move with an LV of 1, or to the first
interchange on its current line on its first Move.

A Player has one of each type of Piece except for the Tourist, of which ehas
four.

All Pieces are governed in their movements by Rules about changes in line
direction, obstructions on the Line, and so on, where those restrictions
apply to the movement form which that Piece uses.

Each Turn, a Player may Move a single piece under eir control. Which piece
has been Moved shall be indicated by placing the initial letter of the piece
in brackets after the Player's name. Viz:

Cryer (T): Turnham Green (PD)

[Enactment: No Overtaking]
No two Pieces in a Czech Variant Game may occupy the same Station, nor may
any Piece pass through a Station occupied by another Piece.

A corollary to this is that any Actions requiring co-location of Pieces may
not be played.

[Enactment: Take On Me]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Taking <Piece>] Post ----- 20 -1 Re
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any Station which may be Moved to by a particular Piece is said to be
controlled by that Piece. A Piece occupying a Station which would otherwise
be controlled by an opposing Player's Piece is said to be threatened.

A threatened Piece may be removed from the Game if the attacking Piece is
Moved to that Station and plays the Post-Move Action of Taking. Thus:

Rushton (I): Latimer Road (HC) [Taking Tourist]

A Piece which has been Taken is removed from the Map and the Game.

[Taking] may not be performed on any Piece owned by the Taking Player, oron
a Commuter.

[Enactment: Checks and Balances]
A Commuter which is threatened is said to be in check.

A Commuter may not be Moved into check.

If a Commuter is in check, the owning Player must play a Move which will
take
the Commuter out of check either by blocking the control of the opposing
Piece, or by moving away from any controlled Stations.

If a Commuter cannot be taken out of check, then the owning Player is
considered to have lost. All that Player's Pieces are removed from the board
and eir name is parenthesised in the Token Table. That Player takes no
further
part in the Game.

If any Player succeeds in removing all other Players from the Game, then that
Player is considered to have won just as much as if e had played Mornington
Crescent.

[Enactment: Jump Start]
Up to four Players may participate in a Czech Variant Game. There are
four sets of start positions for Pieces corresponding to the four Compass
Quadrants. These start positions are randomly allocated by the Speaker
before the Game begins.

Each non-Tourist (or major) Piece starts at an outlying Station, usually a
Terminus; the Tourists all start at a Station adjacent to a major Piece
(specified below where this is not obvious).

The start positions for each major Piece in each Quadrant are as defined in
the table following; non-obvious Tourist locations are given in brackets:

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| | NE (1) | SE (2) | SW (3) | NW (4) |
|-----------+-----------------------------------------------------------|
| Commuter | Epping | Beckton | Heathrow T 4 | Amersham |
| | | |(Heath. T 123)| |
| Inspector | Upminster | Island Gdns. | Wimbledon | Uxbridge |
| Driver | Walthamstow | New Cross | Richmond | Harrow & |
| | Central | | | Wealdstone |
| Busker | Stratford | Tower Gateway| Kensington | West Ruislip |
| |(Pud. Mill La)| (Shadwell) | Olympia | |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

There are no Home Stations in the Czech Variant.

[Enactment: Passed Participal]
Only a Commuter may play a Move of Pass.

[Enactment: Promotional Material]
If a Tourist reaches the Meridian, it may be promoted to any other type of
Piece except a Commuter.

{ Comment: so - that's chess. Who's for Go? }

[End of Czech Variant]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dunx
--
Ceci n'est pas un .sig

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com