Subject: Re: MN: Re: Time

From: riffraff@n...
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 18:14:07 -0500

>ABCD...
>
>E) Use time as Turn length regulation, but dump game time.
>
>Could somebody tell me exactly what you want to do with game time and
>why you think it's worth the effort?
>
>My vote would be for A followed by E.

Hmmm... after Kevan's points about Game Time, I think I'll switch my vote
to E, followed by C.

So far, if we count second choices as half-votes, we've got C a half-vote
over A, which is a half-vote over E.

>The movement is based on something PaulWay said about penalising
>Players for going through interchanges. There is a fixed number of
>steps per Turn of 6 say. In addition each interchange counts an extra
>step (note: changing line must be done at interchanges so costs
>extra).

My problem with this is that everyone's limited to a constant rate of speed
- in Zone 1, you move slowly, outside Zone 1 you move a bit quicker. With
this system, you can't choose to move slowly to conserve Black Tokens, and
then spend them on an extra burst of speed when you need it later on. The
strategic element of saving up your Black Tokens is lost.

>
>A fixed number of Actions per Turn of 4. These can be pre- or
>post-move distributed at the Player's will. (1+3, 2+2...)

I was thinking at first that this might be too many, but considering that
the Green tokens you would need to get extra Actions are relatively rare,
it sounds good.

>Blue Tokens can now be given for going through 2 interchanges.
>
>Or for something a little different: How about +Bu for passing over a
>Stack with more than 2 Tokens on it (or more than 2 stacks). Or
>circling an opponent. Or sticking to the same line. Or crossing the
>river. Or making a move with a prime number of steps in it. Or moving
>though 4 stations starting with a vowel.

:) 2 interchanges sounds best to me. Actually, crossing the river is nice
thematically, but there aren't enough Stations on the other side IMO.

--Riff

"This calls for a subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--Vyvyan, "The Young Ones"

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 13:07:08 +0100

> over A, which is a half-vote over E.

Hmm, I've never heard of a voting system that counts 2nd votes as
half. But C is ahead whatever system we use. PaulWay, miKi, Gunnar,
Dunx, do you want to make yourselves heard?

> >step (note: changing line must be done at interchanges so costs

Correction: Line Changes _or_ interchanges cost an extra step (I
forgot about co-situated stations). Changing line at an interchange
only cost 1 extra step, because they are both the same step. Also 6
might be too low (8 maybe).

> strategic element of saving up your Black Tokens is lost.

I'm not stopping you collecting blacks for bigger moves. You just have
to decide how many blacks are to be available and think up a suitable
system for distributing them. Eg 1 per Turn, 1 per line change (nice
coz line changes are punished by slower moves, so it balances), keep
the current zone system (probably too many blacks), token breeding,
termini, occupying the same station as an opponent...

-- Snow
Petrified orange holds secret to massive telephone overhaul.

---

From: Paul Wayper <paulway@e...>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:12:17 +1000

At 06:14 PM 6/08/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>>Could somebody tell me exactly what you want to do with game time
>>and why you think it's worth the effort?

Can someone remind me what Game Time was, if it was different to Turn
Time?

E, followed by D, for me in that case...

Paul

---------------------------------------------------------------------
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c) 1998-9 PJW