Subject: Re: MN: Re: Time

From: "RiffRaff ." <riffraff@p...>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 09:43:01 -0700

>> Um... I may be misremembering (I do that), but I think I've always
>played that line could only be changed at an interchange. Mid-move,
>at least. Have I been playing wrong? D'oh! First the hidden
>terminii, now this!
>
>I always played that you could change line at co-situated stations,
>whether I was right or not is something else.

I'll go look it up... no I won't, I keep forgetting I can't get to Xoom pages from work. I'll look when I get home.

>To keep the number of blacks in the game sensible we might have 1Bk=2
>extra steps and then regulate the blacks more heavily.
>
>> Zone bonuses might not be too many Blacks, just -backwards-. In
>Zone 1, where you'd really
>> need them, you only get 1 per Move,
>
>I'm not sure we "need" to go faster than 4steps/turn in Z1. And 8
>outside Z2 may be too much. 

...Yeah, I think I agree.

>On the otherhand having Blacks to go
>faster than you need would be nice, provided they aren't too easy to
>get hold of.

Right.

>>and in the outer Zones you get more, but there aren't nearly as many
>interchanges out there. We could keep it the same, forcing people to
>move into the outer Zones to get tokens and then move back to Zone 1,
>or reverse it, +x Bk where x is 5 minus Zone, say.
>
>This would require the 10Black limit staying in place; I would rather
>get rid of it if we could. 

Yes, me too.

>How about +1Bk for a zone change of 3 or
>more eg Z1->Z4 or Z5->Z2.

I can't get to the map right now, but I wonder if that might not be a tad _too_ hard... perhaps 2 zones instead? Remember that although Black tokens will primarily be spent on Moves, there'll be some Action and Gambit costs that'll require them too.

--Riff

"The police said it was an accident. He came home late one night, and fell down an elevator shaft... onto some bullets."
--The Bowler, "Mystery Men"

------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.powerpuff.com - the number one place on the net for Powerpuff Stuff!
http://fm.powerpuff.com POWERPUFF-FM: cartoon bits & anime hits - LISTEN NOW!

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 14:47:44 +0100

Riff:
>...
> ...

Well, I'm glad we agree, but it's a little academic. Unless anyone
else is going to vote I think we should declare C the winner. So a
time based movement system is needed.

> I can't get to the map right now, but I wonder if that might not be
a tad _too_ hard... perhaps 2 zones instead? Remember that although
Black tokens will primarily be spent on Moves, there'll be some Action
and Gambit costs that'll require them too.

Good point; 2 would be better.

-- Snow
I've found God. He was wandering around at the bottom of my garden.

---

From: David Lynch <david@d...>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 20:29:20 -0500 (CDT)

As I see it, there are a few different ways to run time. To borrow the
format used earlier:

A. Reality - Based on published times. It would be interesting, but
complicated. We'd have to get time values for every line at every station,
and have a way to get that info wherever you want.

B. Reality-Based - One value per station, no matter which line, based
on a single station as zero. Only makes much of a difference from
"reality" at relatively far-out stations which serve multiple lines.

C. Map-Based - Similar to charge. Set an arbitrary zero point and base
times on distance that. Accurate for trips to/from the City, but not
around the edges. 

D. Zone-Based - Time between stations is based on the zone they're in.

E. Fixed - Always the same time between each station.

I'd have to go for A first, then B or D - they're about equal. The last
two are obviously the easiest from an administrative standpoint.

--
David Lynch
back at his regular e-mail, but still planning revenge on the person
responsible

---

From: Paul Wayper <paulway@e...>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:16:55 +1000

At 08:29 PM 9/08/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>As I see it, there are a few different ways to run time. To borrow
>the format used earlier:

Here I'd _definitely_ vote for E. You're never going to be able to
accurately account for any possible route, so why bother? For
instance, in any system that is based on reality how do you take into
account that at some times you can change trains in one minute and at
other times you have to wait half an hour for the connecting train?

But I still advocate a 'step' (if that's what we're calling them) to
change lines at an interchange. If you're not using the interchange
to change lines then it shouldn't count extra. I.e. the number of
steps in your journey is the number of stations you passed through
plus the number of line changes you made plus one (to arrive at your
destination).

Paul

---------------------------------------------------------------------
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c) 1998-9 PJW

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 21:55:22 +0100

> plus the number of line changes you made plus one (to arrive at your

That's more or less what we have now, except we're using time rather
than step-limits, and Z1 and 2 stations cost more.

> Can someone remind me what Game Time was, if it was different to
Turn
> Time?

Game Time is the 24hr clock which is used for peak/off-peak stuff.
Turn time is 60mins in a Turn and the length of Actions/Moves.

> E, followed by D, for me in that case...

We have a sort of E/D mix at the moment.

What are people's view on Game Time? The original vote was a little
skewed, becasue the non-Game Time side's vote was fractured over
Turn-time, but I think had a majority.

As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong):

Pro: David and Ole
Anti: Snow, Riff, Kevan (and PaulWay?)

-- Snow
Is the answer: Anne Widdecombe and a chainsaw?