Subject: MN: Re: Thoughts and odd ideas

From: "Wayper, Paul" <WayperP@p...>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 14:23:26 +1000

On Monday, 10 May 1999 20:07, Dunx (Duncan Ellis)
[SMTP:DELLIS@u...] wrote:
> Not so much, here - it is underground after all (well, certain parts of it
> are...). The mainline services are a lot worse for that kind of thing:
leaves 
> on the line, frost on the rails, even the wrong kind of snow (it was 
> apparently too powdery and got into places it shouldn't have). 

I've often wondered about this. _Leaves_ on the line? I can understand
frost, and even stretch my mind to the wrong kind of snow (having read
Mawson's biography, snow is not just the fat fluffy stuff you see in high
temperatures). But how can leaves on the line incapacitate a modern train?

Awaiting with baited breath, knees and groin protector,

Paul Wayper -- DPI ITS Computer Systems Officer
_____________________________________________________________________
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c) 1998-9 PJW

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.eGroups.com - Simplifying group communications

---

From: dunx@l... (Duncan Ellis (Dunx))
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 05:14:49 GMT

>temperatures). But how can leaves on the line incapacitate a modern train?

This excuse was met with some incredulity.

"It's these tree things, you see - very tricky fellows. Every autumn theyshed
their leaves! Who would have thought it, eh? And when so many of the blessed
things have been planted right by the rail lines... well, it's amazing wedidn't
think of it earlier really... but some of the leaves drop on the rails. Then
it'll rain, and the leaves turn all slippery and slimy so the poor trains, bless
'em, can't get any traction. Tragic.

"Anyway, we've solved the problem now - we've swan down all the trees. That'll
slow the ubggers down."

Dunx
--
Ceci n'est pas un .sig