Subject: MN: Re: Web Site Updates

From: "Wayper, Paul" <WayperP@p...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 11:38:14 +1000

On Thursday, June 24, 1999 7:20 AM, MN Speaker [SMTP:speaker@d...]
wrote:
> Finally, a quick survey - how many of you (particularly potential
> Speakers) have access to Perl?

Aye.

> I ask because I'm considering generating the MN pages much as I already
> do with Orangeness (www.dunx.org) and the tools used are written in
> Perl. I'll hold off if not enough people (or at least not the appropriate
> people) have access to the language.

What sort of processing do you do? AFAICS Xoom doesn't allow Perl scripted
pages, so you're presumably using a tool to compile the static pages and
then uploading the HTML files. Correctamundo?

Paul Wayper -- DPI ITS Computer Systems Officer
_____________________________________________________________________
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c) 1998-9 PJW

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications

---

From: dunx@d...
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 02:19:01 -0700

> then uploading the HTML files. Correctamundo?

Absolument, monsieur.

Nothing I do justifies truly active content yet, but I do like consistency of formatting so my pages are generated from data files using a standard template on my own machine and then uploaded en masse to the server. This ensures, for instance, that the navigation bars at the side and bottom are derived from the same information.

I was going to do a similar thing with the MN pages, since the look is consistent now but can be fiddly to maintain (it took me weeks to update the email addresses in the footers after I took on the Speakership, for instance). I do occasionally make errors in updating the URLs in the track map, too, which would be less likely in a generated world.

But it's not essential, and the final HTML could always be treated as the master in any case.

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 12:18:45 +0100

On 24 Jun 99, at 2:19, dunx@d... wrote:
> > > I ask because I'm considering generating the MN pages much as I
> > > already do with Orangeness (www.dunx.org) and the tools used are
> > > written in Perl. I'll hold off if not enough people (or at least not
> > > the appropriate people) have access to the language.

There is a 32bit DOS version of Perl that everyone with Win95 or 
NT should be able to use. Unless "access to the language" mean 
"able to program Perl", but I can't see why that would be necessary.

Snow

---

From: Dunx <dunx@d...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 22:16:03 +0100

>"able to program Perl", but I can't see why that would be necessary.

Since I have that (the ActiveState distribution) installed on the Win9x
partitions of both machines at home, I would have to agree.

My question was really meant as a query about how widely it was installed.

Being able to program in Perl is not significant in this instance. Having
it installed is obviously important.

--
Dunx
Ceci n'est pas un .sig