Subject: MN: Re: Year 2 Week 44 - Votes for Week 43

From: "Kevan Davis" <kevan@z...>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:57:56 -0000

>> As I said at the time, Token Running for Silvers (and faffing around
keeping
>> track of which Termini you've already visited) seems far too much effort
>> when you can just visit Kings Cross as many times as you like.
>
>Then why not allow it anyway?

Fair comment, really - an extra way to do something is only a problem if you
can do it *in addition* to the existing method. Token Running and
Interchange bonuses are fairly mutually exclusive (with the exception of a
few Stations; Ealing Broadway, Charing Cross and - perhaps critically -
Bank), so coexistence isn't a problem.

>Why is too much effort a problem, Kev?

Because it doesn't encourage people to use it; the stingy caveats of your
Token Running seem absurd next to the "Moved to a five-line Interchange?
Have a Silver. Passed through five, as well? Have two Silvers!" bonus, and
I'm always rather leery of anything that requires Players to remember things
for the remainder of the game (Bulkheading is just about forgivable for
giving a pleasing "Ahaha! You can't, Chalk Farm's Bulkheaded." aspect).
Effort is only a good thing if there's some reward for going to it.

I think we'd be better off with good, proper, old-fashioned Token Running,
really (the only restriction on the Action being that you can't play it
within the Circle Line), with a Silver replacing a Gold. The really broken
aspect of the original Running was that you'd have enough Golds to win in
three Turns; with Silvers, it's not too bothersome if someone sits and
hoards - it'll take six Turns to gather enough (giving opponents plenty of
time to disrupt or lobster-pot them), and even then they'll have to tiptoe
back to Bank to get them changed.

Kevan

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com