Subject: Re: MN: Re: Time

From: "RiffRaff ." <riffraff@p...>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 04:46:24 -0700

>To: "Mornomic" <[email-masked]>
>From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
>Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 13:07:08 +0100
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: MN: Re: Time
>
>> So far, if we count second choices as half-votes, we've got C a
>half-vote
>> over A, which is a half-vote over E.
>
>Hmm, I've never heard of a voting system that counts 2nd votes as
>half. But C is ahead whatever system we use. PaulWay, miKi, Gunnar,
>Dunx, do you want to make yourselves heard?

That's because I just made it up. I couldn't think of any other way to take them into consideration, offhand.

>Correction: Line Changes _or_ interchanges cost an extra step (I
>forgot about co-situated stations). Changing line at an interchange
>only cost 1 extra step, because they are both the same step. 

Um... I may be misremembering (I do that), but I think I've always played that line could only be changed at an interchange. Mid-move, at least. Have I been playing wrong? D'oh! First the hidden terminii, now this!

>Also 6
>might be too low (8 maybe).

8 sounds good.

>I'm not stopping you collecting blacks for bigger moves. You just have
>to decide how many blacks are to be available and think up a suitable
>system for distributing them. Eg 1 per Turn, 1 per line change (nice
>coz line changes are punished by slower moves, so it balances), keep
>the current zone system (probably too many blacks), token breeding,
>termini, occupying the same station as an opponent...

I must've misunderstood, then. Is it 8 *free* steps, and 1 Black each for extras, with Interchanges costing 2 steps? I thought you meant 8 steps, period.

Zone bonuses might not be too many Blacks, just -backwards-. In Zone 1, where you'd really need them, you only get 1 per Move, and in the outer Zones you get more, but there aren't nearly as many interchanges out there. We could keep it the same, forcing people to move into the outer Zones to get tokens and then move back to Zone 1, or reverse it, +x Bk where x is 5 minus Zone, say.
--Riff

"The police said it was an accident. He came home late one night, and fell down an elevator shaft... onto some bullets."
--The Bowler, "Mystery Men"

------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.powerpuff.com - the number one place on the net for Powerpuff Stuff!
http://fm.powerpuff.com POWERPUFF-FM: cartoon bits & anime hits - LISTEN NOW!

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 22:42:58 +0100

RIff wote:
> Um... I may be misremembering (I do that), but I think I've always
played that line could only be changed at an interchange. Mid-move,
at least. Have I been playing wrong? D'oh! First the hidden
terminii, now this!

I always played that you could change line at co-situated stations,
whether I was right or not is something else.

> I must've misunderstood, then. Is it 8 *free* steps, and 1 Black
each for extras, with Interchanges costing 2 steps? I thought you
meant 8 steps, period.

You didn't misunderstand, I just hadn't thought about it one way or
the other.

To keep the number of blacks in the game sensible we might have 1Bk=2
extra steps and then regulate the blacks more heavily.

> Zone bonuses might not be too many Blacks, just -backwards-. In
Zone 1, where you'd really
> need them, you only get 1 per Move,

I'm not sure we "need" to go faster than 4steps/turn in Z1. And 8
outside Z2 may be too much. On the otherhand having Blacks to go
faster than you need would be nice, provided they aren't too easy to
get hold of.

>and in the outer Zones you get more, but there aren't nearly as many
interchanges out there. We could keep it the same, forcing people to
move into the outer Zones to get tokens and then move back to Zone 1,
or reverse it, +x Bk where x is 5 minus Zone, say.

This would require the 10Black limit staying in place; I would rather
get rid of it if we could. How about +1Bk for a zone change of 3 or
more eg Z1->Z4 or Z5->Z2.

-- Snow
Dancing with penguins.