Subject: MN: Re: Sv: Token quantity discussions

From: "Wayper, Paul" <WayperP@p...>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 07:45:46 +1000

On Wednesday, June 02, 1999 5:04 PM, riffraff@n...
[SMTP:riffraff@n...] wrote:
> Or, we could simply revert to the old version of the token collection
> table, which gave additional tokens for the higher numbers:
> I was never sure why we stopped using it, anyway...

Kevan repealed all the higher interchange bonuses because he apparently
doesn't like people going at high velocities. I think he doesn't like
people getting huge numbers of tokens in a turn. I can't really understand
why - I don't think it's been plain from what's gone on. *shrugs*
Difference of opinion, really.

Have fun,

Paul Wayper -- DPI ITS Computer Systems Officer
_____________________________________________________________________
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c) 1998-9 PJW

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 08:33:11 -0000

> Kevan repealed all the higher interchange bonuses

...and at least half of you agreed with me enough to vote FOR, of
course...

> because he apparently
> people getting huge numbers of tokens in a turn.

Well, as commented in other messages, a high LV is such a good thing
already that it seems unfair to give further reward for it - not to
discourage high velocities, merely to stop them giving Players a huge
advantage over their slower neighbours. 

As for people getting huge numbers of Tokens in a single Turn; this is
also something of an issue, although it wasn't the main thrust of my
repeal. Gaining a large number Tokens per Turn means that you can
perform a large number of Actions per Turn; if *everyone* can perform
that many Actions then it just makes the game more intense and
short-lived (fine, I suppose, for Ruttsborough, but not really the other
variants), but since only the faster Players get the bonus, it makes
them more likely to maintain their lead. 

>I can't really understand why - I don't think it's been plain from
>what's gone on. 

Didn't we discover that the large Token bonuses became quite unbalancing,
during the week or two that we were using them? Memory fails me.

Die young,

Kevan

--
kevan@d...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove