Subject: MN: Re: FW: Comments on (my) Week 5 Proposals

From: "Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan@f...>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 17:52:52 +0100

>> "I don't believe in variable-length moves... it's not as if one is
>> *actually* on the trains. I view the game more as being moving
pieces
>> round a board, not getting on and off trains..."
>>
>> "Sorry for not saying this on the list, but this seems quite wrong
to
>> me. Surely the whole point of increasing velocity is that you can
move
>> a
>> larger in the *same* time?"
>OK, this is fair. And the velocity point is well made; a bow to my
unknown
>commentator.

Me, actually.

>Kevan complained a while back that people were moving too quickly;
notably,
>he didn't lower the line velocity maximum but rather eliminated the
bonuses
>for passing through interchanges. This, to my mind, implies that the
real
>problem is people doing overly complex multi-line fandagos in Quadrant
0
>with the intent to pick up all the bonuses.

My suggestion is either (1) the current state of play, which I
prefer, or if a fix is desired then (2) that the bonus for passing
through interchanges should only apply if the player does not change
Line at that interchange... thus, moving Charing Cross to Leicester
Square could be done with a "multi-line fandango" (nice phrase there),
but would only score tokens based on the number of interchanges *not*
changed at. This seems to me a much simpler solution.

Jonathan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications