Subject: MN: Year 3 Week 12 Proposals

From: MN Speaker <speaker@d...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 22:08:08 +0100

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNINGTON NOMIC

Proposals for Voting on in Week Twelve
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 819 - What IS this stuff? [Multiple]

Rule 1.9.x - Goo!

A Player possessing a Goo Gun may perform the Action of "[Goo on
<Station>]".

If the Goo Gun has a Voltage of 'n', <Station> can be a Station
'n' or fewer Stations from the location of the Actioning Player,
but only in a straight line.

Alternatively, <Station> can be a Station which the Actioning
Player's Piece has passed through during eir Turn.

When the Action [Goo on <Station>] is played, the Station in
question becomes Gooey for one Round.

Any Move passing through or beginning at a Gooey Station requires a
LV one higher than otherwise required. If several Gooey Stations are
involved, the required LV is adjusted once for each such Station.

Rule 1.4.x - Sticky!

A Goo Gun is a Small Possession, and has an initial Voltage of 0 (zero).

The Voltage of a Goo Gun can be increased by 'X' by playing the Action
[Voltage+X], but only if the Actioning Player has played the Action
[LV-X]
previously in eir Turn, with X having the same value in both Actions.

The Voltage of a Goo Gun is set to 0 (zero) when the Action [Goo on
<Station>] is played.

In the Luggage Rack, "Goo Gun(6)" is a Goo Gun with a Voltage of 6.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Goo on <Station>] Neut 1.9.x -1 Bu
[Voltage+X] Neut 1.4.x none

+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+
| Possession | Cost | Qualities |
+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+
| Goo Gun(0) | 3 Br | Small |

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 820 - Like Dominoes [Amendment]

In
Rule 1.10.2 - Line 'Em Up, Knock 'Em Down
change 

The validity and rewards of a Double-Shunt are identical to that of a
normal Shunt, treated as if the Actioning Player Shunted the Double-
Shunted Player directly, except that the Actioning Player's LV is
considered to be that which it was during eir Move (since it will have
been set to zero by the first Shunt).

to

The validity and rewards of a Double-Shunt are identical to that of a
normal Shunt, treated as if the Actioning Player Shunted the Double-
Shunted Player directly, except that the Actioning Player's LV is
considered to be that which was used in the first Shunt.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 821 - Jespersen Manoeuvre [Enactment]

I propose:
Rule 1.16.x - Jespersen Manoeuvres

If a Player believes that another Player has performed an Action which,
though in accordance with the Rules being used for that Game, is too
powerful for its cost and duration, and if no more than three other
Turns have been made since, e may announce that the said Action is a
Jespersen Manoeuvre. This is done by posting a message to the relevant
Game Lounge, detailing the effects of the Manoeuvre. 

When a Jespersen Manoeuvre has been announced, the dubious Action may
not be performed until one of the following has happened:

* the Nomic Week after the announcement of the Jespersen Manoeuvre has
ended,
* the Rule detailing the said Action has been amended, or
* an Emergency Proposal to amend the wording of the Action has been
defeated.

The Player performing the Jespersen Manoeuvre gains one Kudo. 

The Player announcing the Jespersen Manoeuvre gains one Kudo if the Rule
detailing the Action is amended before the end of the Nomic Week after
the announcement.

{Kind of a soft Buzz}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 822 - Down and Out [Multiple]

In
Rule 3.1.1 - Chateau d'Eau
after:
Loop Trap: Miromesnil

insert:
Lost Property Office: Gare d'Austerlitz(5,10,C)

Prison (Tower Hill equivalent): Bastille(1,5,8)

Holding Stations (Rule 1.14.3): Chateaau d'Eau(4),
Republique(3,5,8,9,11) and Les Halles(4)

and at the end of the the rule, insert:
Stations connected by dash lines (e.g. Rue de la Pompe(9) and Avenue
Henri Martin(C)) are within Walking distance of each other.

Stations connected with double lines (e.g. Gare du Nord(4,5,B,D) and
La Chapelle(2)) have an Escalator Link.

New
Rule 3.1.6 - Eating with the Locals

Instead of these Victuals:
+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+
| Possession | Cost | Qualities |
+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+
| British Rail Coffee | 3 Br | Edible |
| Chocolate Bar | 1 Br | Small, Edible, Dispensable |
| Lukewarm Burger | 4 Br | Edible |
| Marmalade Sandwich | 2 Br | Edible |
| Overpriced Baguette | 5 Br | Edible |
+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+
these are available:
+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+
| Possession | Cost | Qualities |
+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+
| SNCF Tea | 3 Br | Edible |
| Saucissons Sec | 1 Br | Small, Edible, Dispensable |
| Escargot | 4 Br | Edible |
| Brie | 2 Br | Edible |
| Choucroute | 5 Br | Edible |
+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+

Each of these Victuals has the same uses as its London equivalent.
Eating the Brie permits a Special Move to Ch. de Gaulle-Etoile(1,2,6,A).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 823 - Limit One (1) Per Customer [Amendment]

Append the following to the end of Rule 0.9.4 - Fish and Fowl

No single move may be awarded the Who's A Clever Bear trophy more than
once, no matter how many times it was Nominated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 824 - To The End [Multiple]

1. He Who Laughs Last [Amendment]

To Rule 1.1.3 (Resignation), add:-

If, after a Resignation, there is only one non-Drone Player remaining in
the Game, e is considered to have Won. E may optionally submit a GSD
detailing the further Moves necessary for a victory.

2. Stalemate [Enactment: 1.1]

If all Active non-Drone Players of a Game are agreed that that Game has
reached a point of Stalemate, the Speaker may declare that that Game is
over; the Game ends, and no Players are considered to have Won or Lost.

Stalemate is defined as the point at which no Player can possibly reach
victory conditions within a reasonable time limit. This definition is
deliberately vague and open to interpretation and discussion, but
Players are encouraged to acknowledge a reasonable Stalemate rather than
simply adjusting the Ruleset so that the Stalemate is broken
(particularly if the Stalemate was intentional).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 825 - Caffeine Rush [Amendment]

To the Coffee section of Rule 1.4.16 (Playing with Food), add:-

When a Player performs the Action "[Eating British Rail Coffee]",
all Actions performed during the remainder of eir Turn have their
durations halved.

{ Only Actions, though - drinking Coffee doesn't speed the trains up. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 826 - Tube Rats Ate My Zone Pass [Multiple]

{ The other animal-kingdom residents of the London Underground, and more
fitting than Pigeons, if anything (cf. Neverwhere). }

1. Not Hampsters [Enactment]

Rats exist in the Game, as Possessions.

No Player may carry more than four Rats at any one time. If this limit
is exceeded at the end of that Player's Turn, then the number of Rats
carried shall be reduced accordingly.

Rats have quite an appetite. If, at the end of any Turn, a Player
carries one or more Rats and any number of Edible or Papery Possessions,
all of eir Edible and Papery Possessions are destroyed.

In addition, if no Rats have actually been caught that Turn, and more
than two Rats are held by the Player, then a single Rat escapes the
Player's grasp and the number of Rats held is reduced by one.

Any Player may perform the post-Move Action "[Catching Rat]" to add a
Rat to eir Inventory, provided that their Piece is situated at a Closed
Station, or a Station which lies solely on a Line which is Under
Construction. If the Actioning Player is carrying a Lukewarm Burger, e
instead adds three Rats to eir Inventory.

Any Player may perform the post-Move Action "[Releasing Rat]", to set
a single Rat free. Upon performing this Action, one Rat carried by the
Actioning Player is removed from eir Luggage. If any Players sharing
a Station with the Actioning Player are carrying an Edible or Papery
Possession, the Actioning Player may place a Rat in one of those
Players' Luggages. This Action may be performed multiple times during
a single Turn.

2. Nyeeer [Amendment]

Add the following Actions:-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain FR
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Catching Rat] Post 1.4.x 
[Releasing Rat] Post 1.4.x
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Equality in the Workplace [Amendment]

In Rule 1.7.54 (Cunningly Fashioned Out Of Pure Green), replace "single
Pigeon" with "small creature", and "a Pigeon" with "a Pigeon or Rat,".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Your Mornington Nomic Speaker
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 00:52:14 -0700

>Proposal 819 - What IS this stuff? [Multiple]

The "gun" aspect is very nicely implemented, but the ammo seems rather
uninspiring; I can't see there being much use for something which does
little more (in effect) than maybe decrease a Player's LV by one.
Admittedly gooing up a whole Line could be problematic, but at one
Station a Turn, and paying for the Voltage, it seems more effort than
it's worth.

A gun that could knock Player's Tokens away, or blow up Stations from
afar would be far more useful and interesting, I suspect...

>Proposal 820 - Like Dominoes [Amendment]

Very good. Double-Shunting is, er, still completely illegal, though,
since there's no way to perform it as the first post-Move Action (all
Actions in that Section having to be performed as such, and Double-
Shunting not being listed as an exception). Something to fix for next
Week, I suppose. I've plans to take a large hammer to the whole
"singularity / targetted Actions" business, anyway.

>Proposal 821 - Jespersen Manoeuvre [Enactment]

Not bad; it'd probably help to formalise this, since we frequently seem
to criticise something we notice during play, but forget to do anything
about it. As it stands it's a little strange in that nobody seems able
to question the Jespersen cry - what's to stop me, for instance,
saying that nobody else can use the Blocking Action until its Rule gets
amended?

The Kudos reward seems incredibly small beer, incidentally, and might
as well not be there - encouraging people to decry certain Actions as
broken probably isn't a good thing anyway.

>Proposal 822 - Down and Out [Multiple]

Good stuff, particularly the comestibles.

> once, no matter how many times it was Nominated.

Er, how would it possible to award more than one in this fashion, if
only one is awarded per Week, and only Moves made in the past Week are
valid candidates? Or am I missing something?

Kevan

--
kevan@d...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove

---

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 16:51:10 +0200

Kevan wrote:

: >Proposal 819 - What IS this stuff? [Multiple]
:
: A gun that could knock Player's Tokens away, or blow up Stations from
: afar would be far more useful and interesting, I suspect...

You might be right. The Goo was lifted from RoboRally, where the
LV-equivalent seldom goes above 3, so it might be a bit weak here. I didn't
want to propose heavy artillery right away, but once we have a small gun, we
can use the mechanics for other ballistics, too.

The Goo Gun could be improved by defining what might happen to a player hit
by the Goo.
It might get cheaper, and/or easier to reload, too.

:
: >Proposal 820 - Like Dominoes [Amendment]
:
: Very good. Double-Shunting is, er, still completely illegal, though,
: since there's no way to perform it as the first post-Move Action (all
: Actions in that Section having to be performed as such, and Double-
: Shunting not being listed as an exception). Something to fix for next
: Week, I suppose. I've plans to take a large hammer to the whole
: "singularity / targetted Actions" business, anyway.

I trust you'll find a way of legalising Double-Shunting.

I wonder, btw, about Rules 0.2.8, 1.10.0 and 1.10.2.

0.2.8 says that the Rules should work together, and that the specific should
take precedence over the general, as well as the explicit over the implicit.

1.10.0 is general and explicit in disallowing secondary targeting.
1.10.2 is specific, but implicit re 1.10.0 in allowing Double-Shunting.

1.10.2 is, amusingly, an exception to 1.10.0 in allowing targeting without
(S0,L0).

:
: >Proposal 821 - Jespersen Manoeuvre [Enactment]
:
: As it stands it's a little strange in that nobody seems able
: to question the Jespersen cry - what's to stop me, for instance,
: saying that nobody else can use the Blocking Action until its Rule gets
: amended?

The three ways of ending the Jespersen status are: a time limit, an
amendment, and the defeat of an Emergency Prop. Only one of these is needed
to end Jespersen.

If nobody wants to change the rule, the Jespersen will go away after a week
and a half or so.

If the rule is so broken that an EP is necessary, the Jespersen will go away
earlier.

:
: The Kudos reward seems incredibly small beer, incidentally, and might
: as well not be there - encouraging people to decry certain Actions as
: broken probably isn't a good thing anyway.

If you Jespersen one of my Actions, I will gain a Kudo. If the rule isn't
fixed, you'll gain nothing. And you can't Jespersen your own Actions.

Ole

---

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 17:13:03 +0200

: 
: Proposal 824 - To The End [Multiple]
: 
: 1. He Who Laughs Last [Amendment]
: 
: 2. Stalemate [Enactment: 1.1]
: 

Nice indeed.

: 
: Proposal 825 - Caffeine Rush [Amendment]
: 
: { Only Actions, though - drinking Coffee doesn't speed the trains up. }

That would depend on who drank the stuff, I guess.

: 
: Proposal 826 - Tube Rats Ate My Zone Pass [Multiple]
: 
: Rats exist in the Game, as Possessions.

I suspect that would make them Medium-sized.

: 
: In Rule 1.7.54 (Cunningly Fashioned Out Of Pure Green), replace "single
: Pigeon" with "small creature", and "a Pigeon" with "a Pigeon or Rat,".
: 

Is this a problem?

Ole