Subject: MN: Re: Sv: Game 11...

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 07:51:15 +0200

Would someone please enlighten me?

What is the Atari proposal, and what does it have to do with Atari?

Ole

PS A thing about eGroups: Sending the same message to two or more lists is
seen as potential spamming. The message is sent to the moderator for
moderation (sic).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 08:36:15 -0000

> What is the Atari proposal, and what does it have to do with Atari?

To remind everyone...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 548 - Didn't They Used to Make Computers? [Action]

A Player must play the Post-Move Action [Atari], if e believes that e can 
win on eir next Turn. Playing Atari when it is impossible to win on the 
next Turn is Illegal. 

There is no requirement to explain how a win might be achieved when 
playing [Atari], although an explanation may be needed if the Action is 
challenged. 

A winning Play shall be deemed Illegal unless the Player has played an 
Action of [Atari] on the Turn prior to that of eir otherwise winning Play. 

Name: Atari 
Type: Post-Move 
Cost: none 
Duration: none 

{ Comment: 
Borrowing an idea from Go (and, to a certain extent, chess) of giving 
fair warning when something bad is about to happen. 

Atari would prevent serendipitous victories, but it would also stop 
stealth victories which (I seem to recall) was an objection to the 
Charge idea. It might also help to undermine gross misinterpretation of 
the Rules. 

Note that there is no cost associated with playing Atari, nor is there 
any penalty for playing Atari and then not winning. The only penalty is 
for playing Atari when you cannot, in fact, win. 
}

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This could very easily be applied to Manoeuvres instead; whether this is a good idea or not is left as an exercise to the reader.

Kevan

--
kevan@d...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove