Subject: MN: Re: Dollis Hill Loops

From: "Dunx (Duncan Ellis)" <DELLIS@u...>
Date: 08 Mar 99 14:58:13 +0000

Kevan wrote: 

> There is one (presumably) glaring mistake in the "[Dollis Escape]" 
> Action, actually - that you don't need to actually be at Dollis Hill 
> to perform it. I'd always envisioned the Escape as being a steady 
> build up of LV at the Hill itself, until you'd gotten enough to break 
> free; not a mere "if you're going fast enough you don't even have to 
> go to Dollis Hill in the first place" thing. Worth fixing, or am I the 
> only person who thinks this? 

My view is that the only thing wrong with Dollis Escape is the name: the 
term "escape" implies (as you suggest) that you should be at DH in order 
to perform it. However, I can see no reason why an escape whose condition 
is an LV of 10+ should be any less valid because it's been performed whilst 
not actually at DH - escape velocity is escape velocity, after all. 

I think a more self-consistent fix would be to fold the Escape into Dollis 
Sidestep with the token cost only applying when LV is too low, much as has 
already been done with Opening MC. 

-- 
Dunx 
IRL: Duncan Ellis, Senior Software Engineer, Business Modelers, Oracle 
<I work for Oracle, I don't speak for them>

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com