Subject: MN: Year 3 Week 7 Proposals

From: dunx@l... (Duncan Ellis (Dunx))
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 21:45:20 GMT

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNINGTON NOMIC

Proposals for Voting on in Week Seven
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 752 - Venbacker Ladder [Action]

Rule 1.8.x - Venbacker Ladder

A Player may perform the Action of "[Venbacker Ladder]" to put such
a Ladder into effect.

While a Venbacker Ladder is in effect, a Move to a Station with a
Venbacker Number lower than the Move played by the previous Actioning
Player is Invalid, unless the Player taking eir Turn has performed a
"[Ladder Sidestep]" Action during that Turn.

A Player may perform the Action of "[Terminating Ladder]" to end a
Venbacker Ladder, provided that eir piece is situated at the Station
with the highest Venbacker Number in the Game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Ladder Sidestep] Pre 1.8.2 -3 Bk
[Venbacker Ladder Pre 1.8.2 -2 Bu
[Terminating Ladder] Post 1.8.2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 753 - Whimsy Shortfall [Amendment]

Amend Rule 0.9.4 (Fish and Fowl) to remove the Lyttleton Trophy.

{ Comment:
This was a stupid idea in the first place, proposed on a whim, and
bitterly regretted since. And this is without having had any applause to
tally...
}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 754 - Stack In The Mud [Multiple]

{ Comment: the limit on the number of token stacks has been largely
irrelevant ever since the introduction of Quadrant Zero and the
non-adjacent Quadrant restriction. This is particularly true when the
Token Stacks table is being used to document Station contents (Suspect
Packages, Flags, etc) (in fact we probably ought to change the name...).

This is particularly true if tokens for a particular Action all have to
go in the same place (as suggested by Jonathan).
}

[Amendment: Piles and Piles]
Amend Rule 1.14.3 (Token Dropping) such that its final paragraph reads thus:=

"A Player may not place a Token on a Stack if it already has six Tokens
in it."

[Amendment: Keep Together, Please!]
Amend Rule 1.4.19 (Token Tracking) to add the following bullet point:

* All Tokens paid for a particular Action must be placed on the same
Stack. Any Tokens surplus to the capacity of the Stack are
destroyed.

{ Comment: the rest is just removing collateral references to token
stack limits. }

[Amendment: Suspect Evidence]
Amend Rule 1.4.7 (Suspect Packages) such that its third paragraph reads
thus:

If there are less than three Suspect Packages in play, any Player may
create a Suspect Package with the Neutral Action "[Dropping Package at
<Station>]", where "<Station>" is the Actioning Player's current
location, or any Station e has passed through so far this Turn.

[End of Stack In The Mud]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 755 - Radio Control [Multiple]

Rule 1.10.x - Radiation

A Player possessing a Remote Control may perform the Action of
"Radiating <Player>", where <Player> is a Player who shares a Station
and Line with the Actioning Player, also known as the Controller.
The Radiated Player, also known as the Controllee, gains a "Radio Clamp"
Indestructable Possession.

A Controllee may remove a Radio Clamp by playing the "De-Radiating"
while sharing a Station and Line with eir Controller. This causes the
Remote Control to explode, causing Light Damage to the Station occupied
by the Controller, as well as destroying one Token of each colour,
belonging to the Controller, if e has any.

If a Remote Control is destroyed, except by "De-Radiating", the
corresponding Radio Clamp is destroyed, too.

Each Radio Control has a unique number, assigned to it by the
purchasing Player at the time of the Purchase. The Radio Clamp, once
created, gets the same number as its corresponding Radio Control.

The Controller of a given Radio Control, identified by <ID> may, if the
Radio Control is On, perform the following Actions:

* [Radio Clamp <ID> LV+X] to add X, which may be no larger than
3, to the LV of the possessor of the
Radio Clamp identified by <ID>.
* [Radio Clamp <ID> LV-X] to deduct X, which may be no larger
than 3, from the LV of the possessor
of the Radio Clamp identified by <ID>.
* [Radio Clamp <ID> to <Station>] to command the possessor of the Radio
Clamp identified by <ID> to Move to
<Station> on eir next Turn. The
Station must be within the LV of the
Controllee. If the Controllee Moves to
another Station, and the Radio Control
is On at the time of the Move, e Loses
a Metal Token, if e has any.

Rule 1.4.x - Zzzzzzzzzzap!

Electric Possessions are either On or Off, Off being the default.

A Player can switch one of eir Electric Possessions On or Off by using
the Neutral Action [<Possession> On] or [<Possession> Off],
respectively.

If the Circle Line is in an Electrified State, all Electric Possessions
are Off.

Insert in Emporium Table
+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+
| Possession | Cost | Qualities |
+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+
| Remote Control (Off)| 3 Br | Small, Electric |

Insert in Action Table
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[De-Radiating] Neut 1.10.x -1 Re -1 Bu
[Radiating <Player>] Neut 1.10.x -3 Re
[Radio Clamp <ID> LV+X] Post 1.10.x -1 Re
[Radio Clamp <ID> LV-X] Post 1.10.x -1 Re
[Radio Clamp <ID> to <Station>] Neut 1.10.x -1 Re
[<Possession> Off] Neut 1.4.x none
[<Possession> On] Neut 1.4.x none

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 756 - Soap on the Tracks [Action]

Rule 1.9.x - Soap on the Tracks.

During eir Turn, any Player may perform the post-Move action "[Soap on
(<Line>)]", where "<Line>" is the Line Code of the ActioningPlayer's
most recent Move. When this is performed, the specified Line is Soaped
for one Round.

If a Line is Soaped:-

* Any Shunting on the Line causes the Shunting Player to skid along
with the Shunted Player, both ending in the same place.

Insert in Action Table
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Soap on (<Line>)] Pre 1.9.x -2 Bu

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 757 - Sgronk! [Action]

Rule 1.8.x - Sgronk!

A Player may perform the Action "[Sgronk!]" to put the Game in the State
of Sgronk.

If the Game is in Sgronk, a Piece Move which involves passing through a
Station with a Token Stack is Invalid.

If, at any time, there are no Token Stacks with two or more Tokens in
them, the Game immediately leaves the State of Sgronk.

Insert in Action Table
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Sgronk!] Pre 1.8.x 20 -3 Bu

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 758 - Following the Wet Footprints [Action]

New
Rule 1.7.x - Following the Wet Footprints

A Player may perform the Action "[Backtracking]".
If Circle Line is Electrified, no Backtracking is possible.

When a Player performs a pre-Move Action of "[Backtracking]", eir LV is
set to zero - for the remainder of eir Turn, the Station to which e made
eir last Standard Move is a Valid Move, and the Player's Piece is not
considered to pass through any Stations.
A Player may not adjust eir LV after performing a "[Backtracking]"
Action.

Insert in Action Table
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Backtracking] Pre 1.7.x -2 Bk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 759 - Volume Control [Amendment]

{ Comment: The ruleset is rather large. This Proposal intends to allow
it to be split into more than one file in a meaningful way.

As an aside, it also fixes a bit of obsolete terminology: what we've all
been calling a Section is defined to be a Subset in the current version;
and there's still a reference to Transmutation which died literally
years ago.

The second paragraph here is the new one.
}

Amend Rule 0.2.3 (Numbering) such that it reads thus:

Rules shall be numbered for reference purposes, with three numbers in the
format "[Volume].[Section].[Rule]" (eg. "1.3.4"), Volume and Section being
defined in the Ruleset's Table of Contents, and Rule being an integer number
used to distinguish between Rules within the same Section.

The Ruleset itself may be split across multiple files. Each file must
include the complete Table of Contents, and an indication of which
parts of the Ruleset are contained within it.

New Rules shall be placed in a Volume and Section of the Speaker's choice
upon their Enactment. They shall have a Rule number equal to the next
successive integer number after that of the last Rule in the relevant
Section.

Proposals shall be numbered with successive integers which carry on
from week to week and bear no relation to the Rule numbers.

If a Rule is Amended its number does not change. Repealing one Rule does
not affect the Rule number of any Rule, except the one Repealed, which
is then removed.

A Renumbering Proposal allows the Speaker to rearrange the Rule Numbers
in a Section. The Rules in that Section shall be numbered with the
lowest ordinal Rule receiving the Rule Number 1, the next lowest 2, and
so on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 760 - Disruptive Behaviour [Multiple]

{ Comment: We're losing a lot of GSD header space to documenting game
states which don't change much. Better to move them into the
Disruptions board, I would say.
}

[Amendment: More Than Just Leaves On The Line]
Amend Rule 1.2.2 (Disrupted Services) such that its second paragraph
reads thus:

Any Station, Line Segment, component of the Map whose access is
restricted by Player action, or Game State restricting Player actions
where that effect does not have a definite duration (eg one Round) shall
be recorded in this box along with an indication of the nature of the
effect. The sequence of items in the box shall match the order in which
the disruptions occurred.

[Amendment: Cascade Failure]
Amend Rule 1.8.2 (Parks and Greens Cascade) by adding the following
paragraph:

While a Parks and Greens Cascade is active, this is indicated in
Disruptions by the string "Parks and Greens".

[Amendment: Abridged Too Far]
Amend Rule 1.8.3 (Bridges) so that its first paragraph reads thus:

The Game shall have a "Bridges" state, being either "Up" or "Down".
When Bridges are Up, this shall be indicated in Disruptions by the
string "Bridges Up".

[Amendment: Little Knipper]
Amend Rule 1.8.4 (Knip) by adding the following paragraph:

While the Game is in Knip, this is indicated in Disruptions by the
string "In Knip".

[Amendment: Circular Logic]
Amend Rule 1.8.4 (Circle Line States) such that its first paragraph
reads thus:

The Circle Line has four possible States - Normal, Clockwise,
Anticlockwise and Electrified. The non-Normal States are represented in
Disruptions by the string "Circle" suffixed by the symbols "-->", "<--"
and "***" respectively.
eg when the Circle is Electrified, "Circle ***" will be inserted
into Disruptions

[Amendment: Gaptoothed]
Amend Rule 1.8.7 (Gapminding) by adding the following paragraph:

While Gaps are being minded, this is indicated in Disruptions by the
string "Gapminding".

[Amendment: Spiral Bound]
Amend Rule 1.19.5 (Charge Spiral) by adding the following paragraph:

While a Charge Spiral is in effect, this is indicated in Disruptions
by the following strings:
- "Charge In" for a Inwards Spiral
- "Charge Out" for an Outwards Spiral

While we're at it, renumber this Rule into Section 1.8.

{ Comment: note that whilst I've added P&G, Gapminding and Charge Spiral
to the indicated states, I've omitted loops. Since these are defined
solely by the previous Piece's location it seems unnecessary. }

[Amendment: Stating the Obvious]
Amend Rule 1.2.0 (The Game State Document) such that its third paragraph
reads thus:

The GSD shall also include the following information in an appropriate
format: Disruptions; Game Time; Wild Stations; Token Stacks; Courier
Pick-up and Destination Stations.

{ Comment: removing incomplete and duplicate information. }

{ Final Comment: here's a suggested format for the GSD header without
the obsolete stuff -

+----------+------------------+----+----+----------------------+
| | | | | Tokens |
| Player | Home | LV | CH | Bk Bu Br Go Gr Re Si |
+----------+------------------+----+----+----------------------+
|*Drone | | 0 | 0 | 2 0 2 0 0 2 0 |
+----------+------------------+----+----+----------------------+
+- Wild -------------------------------------------++-- Time --+
+ || Day xxxx |
+--------------------------------------------------++----------+
+--Possessions-------------------------------------------------+
| Drone | |
+----------+---------------------------------------------------+
+- Stacks ------+--------------++---------------+--------------+
| | || | |
+---------------+--------------++---------------+--------------+
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
| Courier call from to |
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+- Disruptions ------------------------------------------------+
| Circle ***, Dollis Hill(peg) |
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
}

[End of Disruptive Behaviour]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 761 - All In The Wrist [Multiple]

{ Another one from the Encyclopaedia Morningtonia... }

1. The fFrobisher fFlourish [Action]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[fFrobisher fFlourish] Neut 1.7.x -6 Bu  
------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Player may perform the Action of "[fFrobisher fFlourish]" to
redistribute all the Tokens currently being carried by Players. After
submitting a Turn containing this Action, the Actioning Player should
roll seven dice, each with a number of sides equal to the number of
Active Players in the Game.

E must then perform the following calculations and post a summary of
their results to the relevant Game Lounge.

Firstly, all Players lose all of their Tokens; these are combined in
a Pool.

Each die roll should then be converted to a Player's name, according to
their position in the Playing Order (ignoring Inactive Players). For
example, a die roll of three indicates the third Active Player in the
Player Order.

The following table is then referenced to determine what share of the
Tokens from the Pool are given to each Player. "2" indicates half of
the Tokens of that colour (rounded down), "1" indicates a quarter
(also rounded down), and "r" indicates that the Player receives any
Tokens left over of that colour, after the rest have been distributed.

+------------------+----------------------+
| Die | Bk Bu Br Go Gr Re Si |
+------------------+----------------------+
| First | 1 2 1 0 r 0 0 |
| Second | 0 1 2 1 0 r 0 |
| Third | 0 0 1 2 1 0 r |
| Fourth | r 0 0 1 2 1 0 |
| Fifth | 0 r 0 0 1 2 1 |
| Sixth | 1 0 r 0 0 1 2 |
| Seventh | 2 1 0 r 0 0 1 |
+------------------+----------------------+

When the next Player takes eir Turn, e should - at the start of eir
Turn - update the GSD to reflect the Token redistribution of the
fFlourish.

2. Never Say Die [Amendment]

To the end of Rule 0.1.3 (The Only Way To Die), add:-

If a Player is required to make a die roll after eir Turn, that Player's
Turn is not considered to be complete until the roll is made; an
incomplete Turn may be timed out as if it had not been made. If the
results of the die roll should be interpreted by the rolling Player, eir
Turn is not considered complete until these interpretations have also
been made.

{ Clarifying what should happen if someone forgets to roll a die, or - in
the case of the fFlourish - to comment on the results. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 762 - To The Bottle Bank [Multiple]

Reword Rule 1.7.39 (Ecofriendly) to:-

A Player may perform the Neutral Action of "[Recycling]" to Recycle any
combination of Tokens and non-Indestructable Possessions which e is
carrying (all of which should be listed in the comments section of the
GSD).

For each Token that is Recycled, the Actioning Player gains one Green
Token. For each Possession listed in Rule 1.4.18 (The Emporium) that is
Recycled, the Actioning Player gains Green Tokens equal to half the
Bronze Token value of the Possession (rounded down).

Recycling is considered to be a Token Exchange Action.

Rename the "[Recycling <Thing>]" Action to "[Recycling]".

{ Being able to recycle multiple things at once seems like a good idea,
rather than sluggishly generating a maximum of one Green per Turn. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 763 - Quail, Mortal [Action]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Cowering] Post 1.7.x -1 Bu
------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Player may perform the Action "[Cowering]" if e fears for eir safety.

If a Player performs an Action which targets a Player who performed the
"[Cowering]" Action during eir most recent Turn, that Action's cost is
increased by one Red Token.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 764 - Away from Babel [Amendment]

Reword Rule 1.14.2 (Stack em High, Sell em Cheap) to:-

If, after performing a [<Colour> Token on <Station>] Action, or after
placing Tokens spent in the performing of an Action, a Token Stack
has six Tokens where it had less than six before, the current Player
may be eligible for a Token reward.

If any of the following sequences have been formed, the relevant
Stacks are destroyed, and the current Player gains the appropriate
reward.

+--------------------+------------------------+
| Sequence of Tokens | Reward |
+--------------------+------------------------+
| Bk Bk Bk Bk Bk Bk | +4 Red Tokens |
| Re Re Re Re Re Re | +4 Blue Tokens |
| Bu Bu Bu Bu Bu Bu | +4 Silver Tokens |
| Gr Gr Gr Gr Gr Gr | +1 Gold Token |
| Si Si Si Si Si Si | +2 Gold Tokens |
| Re Gr Re Gr Re Gr | +2 Silver Tokens |
| Gr Bu Gr Bu Gr Bu | +4 Silver Tokens |
| Bu Bk Bu Bk Bu Bk | +6 Blue Tokens |
+--------------------+------------------------+

And rename the Rule to "Stack 'em High, Sell 'em Cheap", because I
always, always type the title with apostrophes when I'm trying to search
the Ruleset for it. Tish.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 765 - I Don't Know About You, But... [Enactment]

{ Time, perhaps, for another Loop. I forget if anyone will get the reference
or not. }

1. We've All Been To Pimlico [Enactment: Section 1.8]

A Pimlico Loop has the single Trap Station of Pimlico. Its Sidestep
Action is "[Pimlico Sidestep]" and its Terminate Action "[Pimlico
Escape]". The former may be performed for free if the Actioning Player
is located at a Ghost Station, the latter may only be performed if all
Active Players are located at Pimlico.

2. Passports From [Actions]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Pimlico Sidestep] Neut 1.8.x -1 Si
[Pimlico Escape] Neut 1.8.x
------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 766 - Fosdyke Notation [Multiple]

{ Comment: apologies for the length of this - it's a fairly simple thing,
but needs some concrete examples. }

[Enactment: Fosdyke Notation]

Fosdyke Notation relates to the proximity between two game objects, in
particular between the subject and object of an Action or effect. A Fosdyke
Code describes the relative location of subject and object at a
particular point in time; a Fosdyke Requirement specifies the proximity
necessary for a particular Action or effect to occur.

Proximity in Fosdyke Notation is described by applying equality indicators
to location classes.

Equality indicators consist of either a digit quantifying the degree of
proximity, or an indication that the classes are irreconcilably different.
Thus:

<n> variance - an integer describing the variation between class
values. A value of zero means the classes are identical; other
values may have specific meanings for specific classes.
* difference - the classes are different and cannot be compared
further.

The location classes defined thus far and the meanings of various
equality indicators are as follows:

S Station <n> distance between subject and object without changing=

line
* subject and object have no direct connection

R Route <n> distance of the shortest route between subject and
object, regardless of line changes
* there is no route between subject and object
{ Comment: applies to sub-networks in some Turin '57=

games, and to Ghosts.
}

L Line <n> number of line changes required between subject and
object (the lowest number of line changes, not the
number of line changes in the shortest route)
* there is no route between subject and object

Q Quadrant <n> number of Quadrant boundaries between subject and
object
{ Comment: never higher than two on the LU map }
* either subject or object is not in a Quadrant

Z Zone <n> number of Zone boundaries between subject and object=

* either subject or object is not in a Zone

A Fosdyke Code (FC) consists of the set of classes and their indicators
describing the proximity relationship between subject and object.

For example:

FC Meaning
-------------------------------------------------------------
S0L0 subject and object are both at the same Station and on the
same Line
S3L0 subject and object are three Stations apart on the same
Line
R4Z1 subject and object are four Stations apart on the
shortest route and are in adjacent Zones.

Elements may be omitted from a Fosdyke Code which are implied by other
elements in the Code (eg S0 implies Z0 and Q0) or which are too
troublesome to calculate (eg the subject is at Amersham and the object
is at Island Gardens: knowing that the Fosdyke Code is Q2Z5 is
sufficient; determining the precise number of line changes and stations
on the shortest route is futile for most purposes).

A Fosdyke Requirement (FR) consists of a set of classes and an expression=

of the required value for the corresponding indicator in a Fosdyke Code.
This is used to describe the proximity between subject and object for an
Action or effect to occur.

For example:

FR Meaning
------------------------------------------------------------------
S0L0 subject and object must both be at the same Station and onthe
same Line ie both Station and Line elements must be exactly
zero
R<6 subject and object must be within six stations of each other by
any route ie the route distance must be less than six
Q>1 subject and object must have two Quadrant boundaries between
them (ie in a different, non-adjacent Quadrant)

Determining if an event can occur is a matter of comparing the elements of
the Fosdyke Code with the corresponding elements of the Fosdyke Requirement
for that event (a Code indicator of '*' will always fail such a test).If
each element in the Requirement is met by the relevant Fosdyke Code, then
the Action is permitted (at least by the conditions described by this
notation).

{ Comment: that's all I want to do at the moment - define the terms.

The next steps are:
1. specifying the Fosdyke Requirements for Actions and effects (not
terribly difficult, but a lot of small amendments). There is no need
to do these all in one go, though.

2. manipulating Fosdyke codes - in particular, modifying a code so you
can perform an action you wouldn't normally be allowed to eg placing
a Clamp on someone from an adjacent Station.

The form of such manipulations would be of the form 'reduce a single
Code indicator by one'.

Such manipulations could either be through paying tokens, or by
owning some special artifact (such as Spectacles).

Note also that these proximity classes are for physical attributes, but
there's no reason they couldn't be applied to other properties - Charge,
say, or tokens matching a stack. These seem to be the most immediately
useful classes though.
}

{ Biographical Comment:

Amos Fosdyke was born in the Yorkshire mining village of Paithwaite
(pronounced pow-it, but that's Yorkshire) in 1863. The mine owner (Lord
Potheridge) was an enlightened individual and insisted that his workers'
children should attend school until the age of eleven before starting
work underground, and so it was with Amos - a significant part of the
curriculum consisted of learning how to play Mornington Crescent.

Amos did not shine at the Game.

In a village where the MC team was noted throughout the West Riding
for its aggressiveness, Amos was too cerebral a player, his reactions
too considered to be a part of the team. So, when he reached the age
of eleven, he went down the mine.

The long periods of darkness underground gave him time to think, and
think he did - about Mornington Crescent. He visualised the map,
developed theories of movement, plans of attack, and strategies to
cripple his opponents.

No one would ever have known about this, had Amos Fosdyke not taken
advantage of the Paithwaite Mining Company Sudden Weight Loss
Programme and lost a leg in the doors of the pit head lift in April
1880 (19th century lift doors not being big on safety).

While he was convalescing, he had an opportunity to play MC against Lord
Potheridge (a remarkable coincedence indeed that the infirmary was
hosting an MC exhibition tournament that month). Rather to the
astonishment of the onlookers, Fosdyke won. Very, very quickly.

In recognition of this, Amos was given a scholarship to the MC team
and a terrifying Crescent competitor was born.

After a time captaining the Paithwaite team (incidentally learning to read=

in the process), Amos became a noted theorist. His writing on proximity
theory were the framework upon which later theorists (including both
Grossman and someone called Mrs Trellis) constructed boundary analyses and=

quantum token dynamic processes. Without Fosdyke's pioneering work on
proximity and the formalism of behavioural permissivity these theorems
would have been merely wordy discussions.

The notation presented here is both an adaptation and an _homage_.
}

[Repeal: Goodbye To All That]
Repeal Rule 1.17.9 (Free Range).

{ Comment: Well... we don't need both. Sorry, Paul. }

[End of Fosdyke Notation]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dunx
--
Ceci n'est pas un .sig

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 12:12:36 -0000

>Proposal 752 - Venbacker Ladder [Action]

Very stylish, and actually quite easy to keep track of with Venbacker
Numbers being assigned alphabetically. However, if Woodside Park is
Damaged or Bulkheaded, it's going to slow the Game up rather tiresomely.
I suppose it's no worse than Charge Spiralling, though, really.

>Proposal 753 - Whimsy Shortfall [Amendment]

Well, these things have to be tried.

>Proposal 754 - Stack In The Mud [Multiple]

Good stuff. I'm not sure about excess Tokens being destroyed if you've
got too many for the Stack you've chosen (simply place your Golds on a
Stack of six, when Spooning, and nobody can get them), but I suppose
it adds strategy.

Full Stacks seem to be a thing of the past, anyway, this is true, and
the increasing number of Stack destruction tricks should make this even
less of an issue.

>Proposal 755 - Radio Control [Multiple]

Nicely implemented, particularly the LV modifier. This should be
entertaining.

>Proposal 756 - Soap on the Tracks [Action]

Interesting, although this should probably extend to denying any sort
of LV manipulation on the Line in question; the Shunt thing is fairly
unexciting, only minimally defensive (the idea being that you Soap the
Line you're on, and discourage other Players from Shunting you, yes?)
and probably not worth two Blues.

But, er, Soap, though? Surely Ice, at least?

>Proposal 757 - Sgronk! [Action]

Jolly good stuff, thoroughly changing the feel of the board without
requiring any particularly annoying rethinking. I have doubts about
the de-Sgronking criteria, though - even with all Player's working
in unison, it's going to be a very long time before all Stacks can
be demolished, isn't it? And it only takes one Player to spill a
few Tokens somewhere each Turn (Hoarding, presumably) to keep the
Sgronk going.

This really needs a [De-Sgronk] Action to become playable, I think.

An excellent word, anyway.

>Proposal 758 - Following the Wet Footprints [Action]

Nice, but where on earth did the archaic and rambling "...is a Valid
Move and the Player's Piece is not considered to pass through any
Stations..." wording surface from? It really only needs to say "A Player
may perform the Action of "[Backtracking]" to permit a Special Move to
the Station e ended eir last Turn at." or something.

Although now that I word it like that, the Action sounds less useful;
you can only replay your previous Move, so it's only of any use if
you've been Shunted or otherwise forced elsewhere. Was this intended,
or should it be the last-but-one Move?

> it to be split into more than one file in a meaningful way.

Well, this really depends what Dunx has in mind for file-splitting; as
has been said, it's nice to be able to download the whole lot in one go,
and search it at whim. Splitting the Ruleset into Nomic Mechanics and
Crescent Rules is fine, but anything smaller would probably raise a
frown.

>Proposal 760 - Disruptive Behaviour [Multiple]

Good idea.

>Proposal 766 - Fosdyke Notation [Multiple]

Cleverly done; the sort of thing that wouldn't look at all out of place
between the leatherbound covers of the IMCS rulebook. How does the
proposer intend to work this notation into the rest of the ruleset,
though? As was mentioned after Paul's "Free Range" Proposal, I think I'd
rather see "A Player may Shunt any Player who shares a Station and Line
with em" than "A Player may Shunt any Player who has a Fosdyke Code of
S0L0 in relation to em" (although S0L0 is a pleasing, if slightly
misleading, bit of serendipity), and I've a suspicion that we'll only
ever really need to use a few of the notations anyway.

>{ Biographical Comment:

Bravo.

Kevan

--
kevan@d...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove