Subject: MN: Voting Booth

From: MN Speaker <speaker@d...>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 19:57:22 +0100

Players:

If you visit the Mornomic web pages, you will see a new link to the
Voting Booth. This is a simple CGI proggy which collects your votes and
comments and mails them to your Speaker.

As an authentication mechanism, you will be mailed a copy of the votes
you enter. If you vote using the Voting Booth and do not receive an
email confirmation, then please let me know - I may have put the wrong
address in the data file.

See what you think, anyway.

--
Your Mornington Nomic Speaker
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 06:18:06 -0700

> comments and mails them to your Speaker.

Absolutely excellent stuff, Ellis; it makes Voting a far more elegant
and pleasurable experience, and seems a long overdue addition to the
game. Bravo.

> address in the data file.

I've gotten mine alright. I suppose such is a reasonable enough way of
stopping abuse of the system; there's the mild issue of someone maybe
wandering through the site and messing about with things at random,
which could potentially muck things up if the abused Voter didn't check
eir mail soon enough, but I can't imagine this would ever really
happen. Making the Voting Booth secret would solve it, but I'd probably
forget how to find it, and it'd seem a shame not to showcase such a
fine addition to the Nomic.

Kevan

---

From: Dunx <dunx@d...>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 21:19:12 +0100

Kevan wrote:
>it makes Voting a far more elegant

Most kind - it was an ideal opportunity for me to exercise my CGI skills.
More of this kind of server-based shenanigans to follow, I don't doubt.

>wandering through the site and messing about with things at random,

I did ponder that possibility, and decided it was sufficiently unlikely to
not worry about. The incidence of spam at !York and MCiOS is pretty low, and
those sites offer immediate interaction as an incentive.

If there's a real problem, the simplest solution would probably to issue
passwords.

--
Dunx
Ceci n'est pas un .sig