Subject: MN: Sv: Proposal musings

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 19:48:25 +0200

Kevan wrote:

:>Proposal 728 - Pachisi Crescent
:
:An appealingly original game style, and I find it rather hard to picture
:it being played (and really can't remember much about Ludo except that
:it involves absolutely no skill at all); this may be one that we'll just
:have to try to see how it goes. I suspect that the four Pieces are going
:to make matters complicated, though; how much of a sacrifice it would be
:to reduce it to one Piece, I don't know. Hmm.
:
Perhaps four pieces is too much. Two might be better (like a permanent
bifurcation), but I'd like to see this playtested first.

:>Proposal 729 - Yodeling
:
:An amusing image, although the fact that not all Hill Stations are
:actually on Hills (not to mention being, er, underground) does rather
:spoil it. This does clash with Proposal 737 (Plastic? Are You Kidding?)
:too, actually, since they both seek to adjust the same Rule...
:
Whaddya mean???
Of course Hill Stations are on Hills. Too bad we have no Alp Stations :-)
The clashing is unfortunate. There is also a clash between 'Lost & Found'
and 'Plastic? Are you kidding?'.

:>Proposal 730 - Size Matters
:
:Probably worth having for the sake of future Proposals, I suppose. The
:phrase "a Too Big Possession" strikes as clumsy, though...
:

I tried to find a synonym for 'too big', but they wouldn't step forward...

:>Proposal 731 - Walking In The Night [Amendment]
:>
:> Between 0000 and 0500, no trains are running.
:> Therefore, no Standard Moves can be made during this time.
:
:Hmm. An obvious and intriguing implementation, that. I suspect it will
:disrupt the game rather too much, though; even if everyone manages to
:get an hour's worth of Turn in, it's going to kick everyone's LV down
:to zero as they Walk or Wild or whatever. Advancing Game Time (and
:Farkling) becomes rather powerful; if someone's about to Win, just
:put Game Time into the hours of darkness and they're reduced to abnormal
:Moves.
:

That's right. Simplicity is powerful here. The previous implementation was,
however, heading for infinite complexity.

:>Proposal 732 - Lost and Found [Multiple]
:>
:> A Player can perform the 30-minute Post-Move Action
:> of [Finding], but only between 0930 and 1400 on Mondays to Fridays.
:>
:> The Player performing the [Finding] Action should roll a single
:> 100-sided die after submitting eir Turn.
:>
:> If the performing Player is at Paddington and the time is between
:> 0930 and 1400 on Mondays to Fridays, e adds 5 to eir roll.
:
:Ah. Good one; you can Find stuff anywhere, but stand more chance of
:doing so at Paddington. Only +5 to the roll, though? And why can't
:you perform the Action outside of "working hours", elsewhere?
:

Ah. Typo. One of the things with cut&paste. The time limit shouldn't be
there in the first sentence. Expect an update.

Ole

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.eGroups.com - Simplifying group communications