Subject: MN: Year 2, Week 42 Proposals

From: dunx@l... (Duncan Ellis)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 23:19:09 GMT

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNINGTON NOMIC

Proposals for Voting on in Week Forty-Two
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 607 - Terminal Velocity [Amendment]

The entire text of Rule 2.2.1 to be removed and replaced with:
"If, at the start of eir Turn before any other Player Actions a Player has
an LV of 10 or more, and e does not (and is not forced to by any other Rule)
reduce it below 10 before eir Move, then all Terminus Stations on the Line e
is on are considered Valid Moves provided that reaching them would not
involve a change of Line Direction (this option is in addition to the
standard Moves available through eir natural LV-dependent Piece Movement and
any Special Moves available.) If e chooses to excercise this option and is
more than [n] stations from that Terminus, where [n] is eir LV after
adjustment, eir LV is immediately set to 0 after eir Move."
The Rule itself is also te be renamed to "Terminal Velocity".
[Comments: somebody has recently commented that the Chalk Farm
"terminus wild" rule is too strong, so I'm basically putting in a condition
that LV has to be an unadjusted 10 before this option can be excercised, and
removing the bit about being able to move to any of the termini of the lines
if one is resting at an interchange. The bit about not reducing LV before
the move refers mostly to having eaten something the previous move.
Of course, if the station could be reached by normal play (i.e. by a
move legal in the vanilla ruleset), then the LV reduction does not apply.]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 608 - Chateau d'Eau

[Comments: This is the first MC game on a non-London tube network... the
Paris Metro. It is set up under the "Turin '57" rule 2.7.1.]

Mornington Crescent may be played on the Paris Metro.
*A map of the Paris metro can be found at:
http://www.paris.org/metro/gifs/metro.map.jpg

*Goal: Chateau d'Eau
*Bank: Hotel De Ville
*Loop: Miromesnil
*Circle Line Equivalent: formed by two lines, Lines 2 and 6 between
Nation and Charles-De-Gaulle Etoile (not counting the part of Line 6 west
of CdG-E.)
*River: The Seine
*The following Rule is to be added: "A player may cross the River when
the Bridges are Up by playing a [Swimming] Pre-Move Action. This acts in
every way like the [Walking] action, and the Token costs and time taken are
the same, with the addition that all Papery or Edible Possessions held by
that Player must be discarded."
{Comments: This is to prevent people becoming permanently trapped at
"Cite", which is the only station on an island. If they are desperate enough
to move immedately, they'll swim... vital if, say, a Parcel or Flag is being
carried.}
*Line Codes: The number of the Line (Line 1's line code is 1, for
instance.)
*Finsbury Option rules applied to this allow all RER stations on the
Metro map to be included in the playing board, and Players may move along
the RER lines with Line Codes of A, B, C and D: the last station on an RER
line before it goes off the map is considered a Terminus for the purpose of
gaining Terminus Hats, choosing Home Stations and moving or being Shunted
along that line.
*Overground Station substitutes: Any station with a connection to the
RER suburban lines (which are drawn substantially thicker on the map, and
point to destinations off the map.)
*Station classifications are as on the London Underground, but
translated into French ("Nord", "Sud", "Est", "Ouest" = North, South, East,
West = Compass Stations: "Parc" and "Vert" = Parks and Greens (and "Jardin"
makes up Gardens to complete Verdant stations): "Maison", "Ville" or "Cite"
are Populated: "Rue" or "Boulevard" (Bd.) = A to Z: all with "Saint" (St),
"Croix" or "Eglise" are Holy. Terminus, Interchange and Overground
connections are all obvious on the map.

*Due to the fact that there are far fewer Park or Green stations on the
Paris Metro, any and all of the standard rules about Parks and Greens
Cascades do not apply. An alternative of a Streets and Roads Cascade ("Rue"
and "Boulevard") replaces these rules and applies instead, being terminated
by a move to a "Place" station.

*Zone and Current/Charge regulations do not apply, and all players shall
gain 1 Bronze Token for playing any move other than "Pass" or "Farkle"
(or, of course, "Timeout".)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 609 - Amendments to "Capture the Flag" (Amendment)

Amend Rule 2.8.5 to read:

If a Player of one team drops a Flag of another team at Mornington
Crescent, then:
(1) the Team whose Flag is placed on MC (and all its Players) shall be
removed from the game:
(2) all other Flags currently carried by that Team are dropped on the
stations where the flag-carrying Players were situated:
(3) all other Tokens and Possessions belonging to the team's Players
are discarded.
(4) In addition, the Player who performed the drop shall gain 2 Gold
Tokens and the other Players in eir Team shall gain 1 Gold Token each, and
that Team's Flag shall return to the Team's Home Station from wherever it
is. (Mornington Crescent must still be Opened successfully, normally with
the standard cost of 3 Gold Tokens, if a Player moves there to drop the
Flag. It should be noted that Flags, like Players, cannot be Shunted to
Mornington Crescent.)

When all but one of the teams have been eliminated by this method, the
remaining team is declared the Winners. Simply moving to Mornington Crescent
does not in itself give victory: only by removing all the other teams from
the game in this way can a team be declared victorious.
[Comments: This brings back the actual connection between MC and
winning - something that is currently lacking in the Flag game.]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 610 - Day of Action [Multiple]

{ Comment:
The mission for this Proposal is simple: put all Actions in one table.
A secondary mission is to describe Token *effects* rather than just
Token costs. Things get complicated after that.

The reason for doing this is primarily ease of navigation. I appeciate
that this approach is going to produce one mega-Rule, but as the number
of Actions has increased it has become harder and harder to find those
which are little-used (particularly if one is not sure which phase the
Action happens in). I just think one very large Rule is easier to navigate=

around than several only slightly smaller Rules.
}

[Amendment: Action Man]
Amend Rule 1.7.2 (Pre-Move Actions) as follows:

- rename the Rule to "Actions"
- add a column "Phase", marking all Actions currently in the table as
"Pre"
- incorporate all Actions described in Rule 1.7.15 (Post-Move Actions)
into the table with a Phase of "Post"
- incorporate all Actions described in Rule 1.7.16 (Neutral Actions)
into the table with a Phase of "Neut"
- add a column "Gain" and include within all Token effects rather than
just costs.

[Amendment: Laying the Table]
Amend Rule 1.7.1 (Action Types) such that its last two paragraphs read thus:=

"The following section lists the available Actions according to these
classifications. A duration is only specified where it varies from the
standard value defined in the Rule "Carol Vorderman's Revenge".

"The "Cost" column of each Table shows the cost or requirements of that
Manoeuvre - typically an amount of Tokens. Where no cost is specified,
that Action is free. The "Gain" column shows the benefit to the Actioning
Player of playing that Action in terms of Tokens gained."

[Repeal: Last Post]
Repeal Rule 1.7.15 (Post-Move Actions)

[Repeal: No More Neutrality]
Repeal Rule 1.7.16 (Neutral Actions)

[Amendment: Reasonable Doubt]
Amend Rule 2.7.6 (Zone Doubt) such that its final bullet point reads thus:

" * Rule 1.7.2 (Actions) gives the cost for Tithing a Zone,
supplying a formula its calculation. This formula should be
adjusted (eg 8 - (2 x Zone))

[End of Day of Action]

{ Comment:
So there we have it - fewer changes than I'd expected I must say.
}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 611 - Cashing In [Amendment]

Add an entry to the appropriate Action Table for the Neutral Action [Cashing
In Hats] described in Rule 1.4.6.

{ Comment: must have just dropped out in one of the reorgs. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 612 - The more Targets the merrier!

For simplicity, the rest of this Rule refers to the Player or Object
affected by the Action as the Target and the Player performing the Actionas
the Actor.

Any Action which requires the Actor to be at the same Station as a Target
may be Proxied. This is done by adding the text '(Proxied)' into the text
of the Action. This addition of text does not change the validity of the
Action - thus, a '[Spooning <Player> (Proxy)]' Action is as valid as the
equivalent '[Spooning <Player>]' Action.

Proxying an Action allows the Target to be adjacent to the Station occupied
by the Actor. It specifically changes the location of the Target so that
the Target is no longer allowed to be at the same Station as the Actor for
the Proxied Action.

Proxying an Action costs one Green Token and one Blue Token. An Action
Proxied in this way may be also Extended in the appropriate manner, and the
Green and Blue Tokens thus paid are considered part of the original Action's
cost when calculating the cost of an Extension.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 613 - Safety Dance

Reword the last paragraph from Rule 1.4.6 (You Can Leave Your Hat On) to:

Any player may perform the Action "[Knocking <Type> Hat off <Player>]"; if
the specified Player is carrying a Hat of the specified type and the
specified Player is adjacent to or in the same location as the Player
performing the Action, the specified Hat is destroyed and removed from the
specified Player's Luggage.

{IMHO the [Knocking] action has been far too powerful - there is no other
action which you can do to a specific player for one red token which does
not require you to be adjacent to them. If everyone plays a Hands on Hat
action then the Knocking action is meaningless, and you're reduced to
shunting them to remove hats. This way, most of the time you don't have to
play a Hands on Head action unless you're specifically worried about someone
Knocking you. For the paranoid amongst us, this might not mean too much,
but I think this brings the Knocking action into line with the rest of the
ruleset.}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 614 - Extend in Need

If there is no rule called "Extending Attacks", then this Rule revokes
itself.

Change the last paragraph of the "Extending Attacks" Rule to read:

Call the number of Stations between the Actor and the Target 'N' divided by
three (rounding down), including the Target Station but not the Actor's
Station. Let M be the sum of all the whole numbers between 1 and N. The
cost of the Extension is M multiples of the cost of the original Action.
Thus, a shunt Extended by three stations costs 1 extra Red Token for the
Extension, and attaching a Freem Clamp to a Player six stations away means
that the Extension costs 3 Red and 3 Green tokens.

The Extension cost is added to the original Action's cost when playing the
Action.

The Target must be on the same line as the Actor, and the Line Segment
between the Target and the Actor must not include any change in Line
Direction.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 615 - "Thank You For Not Smoking or Summoning Satan In the Church"

[Amendment]

Replace the second paragraph of Rule 1.4.24 ("The Podume of Infinite Darkness")
with:

"If there is no PoID in play, any Player may perform the Action of [Forging
PoID] to bring the PoID into play, in eir Possession, provided that e is
not located at a Holy Station."

{Comments:

This is to prevent a tricky loophole in the fourth paragraph:

"If a Player carrying the Podume of Infinite Darkness ends any Turn at a
Holy Station, the Podume is destroyed."

By this wording, a Player could move to a Holy Station, Forge the PoID,
drop it, and then charge-tunnel away. Since e doesn't end the turn at a
Holy Station, the PoID is not destroyed, and it remains there with no way
to destroy it, since the station it rests at is Blocked.

In fact, one could argue that the Player could remain at the Holy Station-
since they've dropped it, the PoID isn't in their possession at the end of
the Turn, and thus isn't destroyed.
}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 616 - Going Downhill Fast [Action]

{ Reimplementation of the Slippery Slope, as promised - becoming an =
optional LV increase when leaving a High or Hill. }

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Rule Duration Cost
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Freewheeling] 1.7.x
------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Player may perform the pre-Move Action of "[Freewheeling]" if eir
Piece is situated at a High or Hill Station. Upon performing this
Action, eir Line Velocity is increased by one.

If a Rule entitled "The Slippery Slope" exists, repeal it. Either way,
remove this paragraph from the ruleset after Enactment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 617 - The Midas Clamp [Action]

{ Clamps have, for some reason, inspired me lately. One thing that seems
to have been lost from the things is their ability to be potentially
useful, though (Spoon's old Token-doubling effect having been, as far as
I remember, removed a long time ago), so here's something that can be
just as beneficial as crippling. I don't think it leaves too much room
for loopholes or game-shutdowns... }

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Rule Duration Cost
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Midasing <Player>] 1.7.x -2 Gr -2 Bu
[Midas Cure] 1.7.x
------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Player may perform the post-Move Action of "[Midasing <Player>]",
where <Player> is either the Actioning Player, or a Player with a Piece
adjacent to the Actioning Player's Piece position. A Midased Player
gains a "Midas Clamp" Possession. Midas Clamps are Indestructable
Possessions.

Whenever a Player carrying a Midas Clamp gains a Token, that Token
immediately becomes a Gold Token. If a Player carrying a Midas Clamp
Shunts a Token Stack, all Tokens in that Stack are replaced with Gold
Tokens.

If a Player is carrying a Midas Clamp, e may not perform any Actions
which require the expenditure of Gold Tokens.

A Player may destroy a single Midas Clamp in eir possession by
performing the neutral Action of "[Midas Cure]" whilst at Bank. This
Action may not be performed if the Actioning Player gained a Midas
Clamp earlier in the Turn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 618 - Sling Your Hook [Amendment]

{ The Terminus Slingshot Action in the Ruttsborough Ruleset is, as has
been commented, somewhat badly worded; the concept of it is also a touch
ridiculous, to my eyes - that as well as being able to make a powerful
cross-board Piece Move in *addition* to your normal Move, which
*ignores* all Blocks and impediments, you also get a Silver Token for
it. I mean, what?

To make it more Ruttsborough, I've changed it to a "pay a Black to set
your LV to fifteen, if at a Terminus" thing. Far more in-theme than
teleportation, I think you'll agree...

Oh, and since there's no comfortable way to fit Special Ruleset Actions
into any sort of list, the Action description is to be placed in the
rule itself, traditional formatting being used for the sake of clarity.}

Reword Rule 2.4.4 (Terminus Slingshot) to:-

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Rule Duration Cost
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Terminus Slingshot] 2.4.4 -1 Bk
------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Player may perform the neutral Action of "[Terminus Slingshot]" if eir
Piece rests at a Terminus Station. Upon performing this Action, eir Line
Velocity is set to fifteen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 619 - Find the Map [Rewrite]

In Rule 1.17.1 (The Underground Map) replace the existing (and long obsolete)
Innotts URL with "http://members.xoom.com/mornomic/map.html".

{ Tsk. However did that manage to stay there for so long? }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 620 - What's My Line? [Rewrite]

Remove the last paragraph of Rule 1.17.4 (Line Code).

{ It says nothing which isn't stated elsewhere in the ruleset. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dunx
--
Ceci n'est pas un .sig

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com