Subject: MN: Updates to Week 8 Proposals

From: Dunx <dunx@l...>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 07:00:54 +0100

The following updates to Proposals have been received. The modified versions
are for voting on in Week 8.

The Proposals modified are: 767, 769, 770, 771, 772, 774, 777.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 767 - Not at All Good for the Environment [Action]

New
Rule 1.7.x - Not at All Good for the Environment

A Player may perform a Pre-Move Action of "[Taxiplane to <Station>]",
where <Station> is defined as an Airport Interchange, provided e is
at an Airport Interchange.

When a Player performs the Action "[Taxiplane to <Station>]", eir LV is
set to zero, and a Special Move to <Station> is allowed.

New
Rule 1.7.x - Power-crazed Egotistical Entrepreneur

A Player may perform a Post-Move Action of "[Bransoning]", provided e is
at an Airport Interchange.

When a Player performs the Action "[Bransoning]", eir LV is
set to zero, and e must roll a 295-sided die. The next Actioning Player
must then look up the rolled number in the Venbacker Table. The
Bransoning Player is deemed to have ended eir Turn at the Station
indicated by the roll.
This Special Move is always allowed.

Insert in Action Table
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Taxiplane to <Station>] Pre 1.7.x -2 Gr -1 Bk
[Bransoning] Post 1.7.x -1 Go -2 Gr -1 Bk

{Comment:
Halved the prices and cleaned Bransoning a bit.
}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 769 - Token Stacking [Amendment]

- Remove, if it exists, the bullet point in Rule 4.1.19 which
states that "all Tokens for a particular action must be placed on the
same Stack."

- Add the following bullet point to Rule 1.4.19:

* All Tokens spent on any particular Action must be placed on
different Stacks. If there are not enough eligible Stacks available, the
excess Tokens are destroyed.

- Amend the final paragraph of Rule 1.14.3 to read as follows:

There may be no more than three Stacks in each Quadrant, and no Token

Stack may contain more than six Tokens: if a Token is dropped on a Stack
containing six tokens, the bottom Token of that Stack is destroyed to
make room for it.

If a Station contains another entity which is listed in the Token
Stack table (Suspect Packages, Flags, the Podume of Infinite Darkness
etc.) then no Tokens may be placed there at all. However, this other
item does not count against the number of Stacks that may coexist.

Also, no non-Token entity except a Player's Piece may be placed on a
Station containing a Token Stack, or Shunted to such a Station unless
the Token Stack is Shunted (or Double-Shunted) away first.

- Amend the second-to-last paragraph (i.e. the one before the given
example) of Rule 1.10.1 so that its final sentence reads:
Token Stacks may not be Shunted to any Station containing another
Token Stack unless a Double Shunt is played.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Proposal 770 - Loop the Loop [Multiple]

- Repeal Rules 1.8.1 and 1.8.6.

- New Rule 1.8.1 (Loop the Loop):

The Game may be in a "Loop" State, which should be detailed in the
Game States section as "Loop:<loop>" where <loop> is the type of Loop.
Only one Loop State may exist at once: if the game is placed into more
than one Loop, then the most recent Loop continues, and all other Loops
are ended.

For each Loop, the following must be defined:

* A Loop Type: either "Automatic" or "Invoked".

* One or more Trap Stations: moving to one of these may start the
Loop automatically (in the case of an Automatic Loop) or if the moving
Player plays the [<loop> Loop] Action (in the case of an Invoked Loop).
If there is more than one Trap Station, they may be Sequential (the
stations must be played in a pre-set order) or Unordered (the Player may
move to any of the Trap Stations of that particular Loop, with the
provision that e may only stay at the same Station if e plays a move of
Pass.)

* A [<loop> Loop] Action to begin Invoked Loops, together with the
cost and conditions of that Action.

* A [<loop> Escape] Action to allow the Player of this Action to
end the "Loop" Game State, together with the cost and conditions of that
Action.

* (Optional) A [<loop> Sidestep] Action to allow the Player of this
Action to ignore the Loop while leaving the "Loop" Game State still in
force for other Players. Also, the cost and conditions of that Action.

* (Optional) Any other special features pertaining to that Loop.

When a Game is in a Loop State, the Player whose Turn it is *must* do
one of the following things:

* Make a Standard Move to the Trap Station (or one of them: the
next in sequence, should the loop be Multiple and Sequential) if such a
Move would normally be possible, depending on LV and any other
conditions of play.

* Make a Special Move directly to the Trap Station (or one of them:
the
next in sequence, should the loop be Multiple and Sequential.) A Special
Move to a Trap Station of a Loop which is currently in play is always
valid, and may not be prevented in any way by any Actions or conditions
which prevent Special Moves, and LV is only set to zero if the Player's
previous location was a non-Trap Station.

* Play a [<loop> Sidestep] Action. E may then move as normal for
eir Turn, but the Loop State remains for future players. If three
consecutive players (discounting Passes) play Sidestep Actions, the Loop
State is ended immediately.

* Play a [<loop> Escape] Action. The Loop State is ended, and e may
move eir Piece as normal.

* Pass or Timeout: eir Piece is immediately moved to a Loop Trap
station (or one of them, if there are more than one, and in the correct
order if the Loop is Sequential.) In the case of a Timeout, the Player
calling the Timeout has the responsibility of stating the destination of
the Timeouted Player according to the above restrictions.

The following types of Loop are recognised:

(1) Standard Holding Loop. (Invoked, Single Trap)
Trap Station: As chosen by the [Looping] Actioning Player.
Entry Action: [Loop the Loop] - cost=2 Blue.
Sidestep Action: [Loop Sidestep] Cost=2 Black
Escape Action: [Loop Escape] Cost=1 Blue if at the Trap Station, 2
Blue otherwise.

(2) Dollis Hill Loop (Automatic, Single Trap)
Trap Station: Dollis Hill
Entry Action: Any move which leaves the moving Player at Dollis
Hill at the end of eir Turn.
Sidestep Action: none.
Escape Action: [Dollis Escape] Cost:1 Silver unless the Actioning
Player has an LV of 10 or greater.
Special: If Game Time is after 2200 hours, a Player at Dollis Hill
may play the [Ongar Denial] Action. This destroys all Knid, Spoon and
Narg Clamps in play, removes the game from Knip if it is in Knip, and
ends the "Dollis Hill Loop" Game State. Ongar becomes a valid Special
Move destination for that Player, and may not be prevented by any means.
It should be noted that, although Ongar is a Ghost Station, the Ongar
Denial is considered to include the [Ghosting] Action implicitly: that
Action need not be played separately from the Ongar Denial.

(3) Amersham-Aldwych Loop (Invoked, Unordered Multiple Trap)
Trap Stations: Amersham, Aldwych.
Entry Action: [A-A Loop] - cost 1 Red, 1 Blue Tokens
Sidestep Action: [A-A Sidestep] - cost 1 Green, 1 Blue Token.
Escape Action: [A-A Escape] - cost 1 Green, 1 Blue if performed at
Amersham or Aldwych *and* LV is 10 or greater, 2 Green and 2 Blue
otherwise.
Special: Each Player enters the Loop at either Station, but on any
future Looped turns must either move to the other Station or play a
Pass. Also, note that Aldwych is a Ghost Station, and may only be
entered with the [Ghosting] Special Move Action. If this is not
possible, a Player at Amersham must Pass.

(4) Morden Paradox (Invoked, Single Trap)

Trap Station: Morden
Entry Action: [Using the Morden Paradox Gambit]. This starts the
loop automatically.
Sidestep Action: [Paradox Sidestep], cost 3 Black
Escape Action: [Paradox Escape], cost 3 Black if performed at
Morden, 6 Black otherwise.

- Delete the Pimlico Loop rule if it has passed.

- Delete the [Dollis Escape] and [Dollis Sidestep] Actions from the
Action Table, and replace with the following:
[<loop> Loop] Post-Move, cost varies.
[<loop> Sidestep] Pre-Move, cost varies.
[<loop> Escape] Pre-Move, cost varies.
[Ongar Denial] Pre-Move, cost 2 Black and 1 Blue

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 771 - Game into Boris... [Enactment]

Rule 1.8.x
The Game shall have a State known as "Boris", which it is either In
or Out of: at the start of the game it is Out of Boris, which is
considered the default. If the game is In Boris, this should be noted in
the GSD Game States section as "Boris".

A Player may play the [Into Boris] or [Out of Boris] Action on eir
Turn, changing the Boris state accordingly.

When a Game is in Boris, the following conditions apply:

* The bonus in Table 1.4.20 of 1 Black Token for remaining on the
same Line does not apply: instead, a bonus of 1 Black Token is given for
any Standard Move which does *not* remain on the same Line.

* The [Line Change] action has a cost of zero: instead, any Standard
Move
which does not involve this Action incurs a penalty of 1 Black Token. If
the Player has no Black Tokens, any Standard Move which does not involve
a change of Line is invalid.

* LV is limited to four less than the usual maximum (i.e. normally
6), and may only be adjusted by up to two points each turn.

* No Player may perform any Post-Move Action which changes the
location of eir Piece.

* No Player may make a move of "Pass". If there exist any conditions
which enforce a move of "Pass", the Player must instead make a Special
Move (which cannot be prevented by any means) to Dollis Hill instead.
Similarly, Timeouted Players are moved automatically to Dollis Hill. A
Dollis Hill Loop state is begun in either case.

New Actions for the Action Table:
[Into Boris] Neutral, 1.8.x, cost 2 Re 2 Bu
[Out of Boris] Neutral, 1.8.x, cost 2 Gr 2 Bl.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 772 - Ladders Up and Down. [Multiple]

Delete the text of the "Venbacker Ladder" Rule and replace with the
following:

A Player may perform the Action of [Venbacker Ladder: <x>] where <x>
is either Up or Down, to bring the Game into a State of Venbacker
Ladder - this is noted in the Game States section as "Ladder Up" or
"Ladder Down".

While a Venbacker Ladder is in effect, the following applies:
(1) If the ladder is Up at the start of a Player's Turn, then a
Standard Move to a Station with a Venbacker Number lower than that of
the
previous Player's location is Invalid.
(2) If the ladder is Down at the start of a Player's Turn, then a
Standard Move to a Station with a Venbacker Number higher than the
previous Player's location is Invalid.

A Player may perform the Action of [Ladder Sidestep] to ignore the
Ladder for one Turn: it remains in effect for other Players.

A Player may perform the Action of [Ladder Reverse] to reverse the
Ladder, from Up to Down or from Down to Up.

A Player may perform the Action of [Terminating Ladder] to end a
Venbacker Ladder Game State, provided e is situated at a Station with a
Venbacker Number below 21 (if the Ladder is Down) or above 275 (if it is
Up.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Venbacker Ladder Up/Down] Post 1.8.x -2 Bu
[Ladder Sidestep] Pre 1.8.x -3 Bk
[Ladder Reverse] Neut 1.8.x -1 Bu -1 Bk
[Terminating Ladder] Post 1.8.x

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 774 - A Whiter Shade of Pale... [Multiple]

Amend
Rule 1.4.1 - Token Gesture

In the Game of Mornington Crescent, there exist a number of differently
coloured Tokens, which can be carried by Players and piled in Stacks on
Stations. Tokens are created and lost as the Game progresses, and all
are listed on the Game State Document.

There are eight colours of Token - three Metallic (Gold, Silver and
Bronze) and five Plastic (Black, Blue, Green, Red and White).

Tokens may be awarded for certain Moves and Actions within the game,
and must be expended to perform particular Actions.

The Token Cost of any Action shall, where applicable, reflect the
nature of the Action and the extent of its effect. The nature of
the Action shall be reflected in the colour of Token required and
the extent shall be reflected in the number of Tokens required. The
type of Actions the different Token Colours should apply to shall
be as follows:

* Black : Move Actions (those which only affect the position or
movement of the Actioning Player's Piece)

* Blue : Indirectly Aggressive Actions (those which may indirectly
affect the movement or status of another Player's Piece)

* Green : Neutral Actions (those which have no immediate effect on
any Piece's position, such as declarations)

* Red : Aggressive Actions (those which directly affect the
position, status or ability to Move of another Player)

* White : Defensive Actions (those which protect the Actioning
Player)

* Bronze : 'Purchasing' Actions (those relating to the acquisition of
Gold Tokens and Possessions)

* Silver / Gold : Special Actions (ones which should only be allowed to be
used infrequently, thus cost more)

New
Rule 1.4.x - With or Without Sulfo

If a Token is Shunted (or moved by similar means) to Angel, the Token
turns White.
If a White Token is Shunted (or moved by similar means) to Blackfriars,
the Token turns Black.

Amend lines in 1.7.2:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Collection Plate] Neut 1.11.7 -1 Si +1 Wh
[Collecting Tithe] Neut 1.7.31 -1 Wh
[Cowering] Post 1.7.x -1 Wh
[Soap on (<Line>)] Pre 1.9.x -2 Wh

Amend Lost & Found-table in 1.7.53:

+-------+-----------------+---------------------------------+
| Roll | Item found | Special/Qualities |
+-------------------------+---------------------------------+
| 1-43 | Nothing | |
| 44-51 | <special> | Accused of Theft # |
| 52-53 | Package | Suspect, dropped |
| 54 | Velocity Bomb | |
| 55 | Zone 1 Pass | * |
| 56 | Zone 2 Pass | * |
| 57 | Zone 3 Pass | * |
| 58-59 | Spectacles | Garment |
| 60-61 | Scarf | Garment, Woolen |
| 62 | Glove | Garment, Right Hand |
| 63-64 | Glove | Garment, Left Hand |
| 65 | Gloves | Garment, Pair |
| 66 | Money Belt | Empty, Garment* |
| 67 | Casiotone | Musical |
| 68 | Drum | Musical |
| 69 | Guitar | Musical |
| 70 | Harmonica | Small, Musical |
| 71 | Saxophone | Musical |
| 72 | Violin | Musical |
| 73 | Piano | Musical, Too Big |
| 74 | A-Z Hat | Hat* |
| 75 | BR Hat | Hat* |
| 76 | Compass Hat | Hat* |
| 77 | Terminus Hat | Hat* |
| 78 | Verdant Hat | Hat* |
| 79 | Hard Hat | Hat* |
| 80 | Silly Hat | Hat* |
| 81 | Book | Papery |
| 82-83 | Newspaper | Yesterday's, Papery |
| 84 | Newspaper | Today's, Papery |
| 85 | Tokens | 2 Black |
| 86 | Tokens | 2 Blue |
| 87 | Tokens | 2 Red |
| 88 | Tokens | 2 Green |
| 89 | Tokens | 2 White |
| 90 | Token | 1 Bronze |
| 91 | Token | 1 Silver |
| 92 | Token | 1 Gold |
| >92 | <special> | First item in Lost & Found Box |
+-------+-----------------+---------------------------------+
*) If the Player already possesses the found item, nothing is found.
#) The Player is immediately moved to Tower Hill and loses one
Bronze Token, if e has any.

{Comment:
Redefined the White role.
Added a couple of ways of getting White Tokens, and a couple of
ways of getting rid of them.}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 774 - A Whiter Shade of Pale... [Multiple]

Amend
Rule 1.4.1 - Token Gesture

In the Game of Mornington Crescent, there exist a number of differently
coloured Tokens, which can be carried by Players and piled in Stacks on
Stations. Tokens are created and lost as the Game progresses, and all
are listed on the Game State Document.

There are eight colours of Token - three Metallic (Gold, Silver and
Bronze) and five Plastic (Black, Blue, Green, Red and White).

Tokens may be awarded for certain Moves and Actions within the game,
and must be expended to perform particular Actions.

The Token Cost of any Action shall, where applicable, reflect the
nature of the Action and the extent of its effect. The nature of
the Action shall be reflected in the colour of Token required and
the extent shall be reflected in the number of Tokens required. The
type of Actions the different Token Colours should apply to shall
be as follows:

* Black : Move Actions (those which only affect the position or
movement of the Actioning Player's Piece)

* Blue : Indirectly Aggressive Actions (those which may indirectly
affect the movement or status of another Player's Piece)

* Green : Neutral Actions (those which have no immediate effect on
any Piece's position, such as declarations)

* Red : Aggressive Actions (those which directly affect the
position, status or ability to Move of another Player)

* White : Defensive Actions (those which protect the Actioning
Player)

* Bronze : 'Purchasing' Actions (those relating to the acquisition of
Gold Tokens and Possessions)

* Silver / Gold : Special Actions (ones which should only be allowed to be
used infrequently, thus cost more)

New
Rule 1.4.x - With or Without Sulfo

If a Token is Shunted (or moved by similar means) to Angel, the Token
turns White.
If a White Token is Shunted (or moved by similar means) to Blackfriars,
the Token turns Black.

Amend lines in 1.7.2:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Collection Plate] Neut 1.11.7 -1 Si +1 Wh
[Collecting Tithe] Neut 1.7.31 -1 Wh
[Cowering] Post 1.7.x -1 Wh
[Soap on (<Line>)] Pre 1.9.x -2 Wh

Amend Lost & Found-table in 1.7.53:

+-------+-----------------+---------------------------------+
| Roll | Item found | Special/Qualities |
+-------------------------+---------------------------------+
| 1-43 | Nothing | |
| 44-51 | <special> | Accused of Theft # |
| 52-53 | Package | Suspect, dropped |
| 54 | Velocity Bomb | |
| 55 | Zone 1 Pass | * |
| 56 | Zone 2 Pass | * |
| 57 | Zone 3 Pass | * |
| 58-59 | Spectacles | Garment |
| 60-61 | Scarf | Garment, Woolen |
| 62 | Glove | Garment, Right Hand |
| 63-64 | Glove | Garment, Left Hand |
| 65 | Gloves | Garment, Pair |
| 66 | Money Belt | Empty, Garment* |
| 67 | Casiotone | Musical |
| 68 | Drum | Musical |
| 69 | Guitar | Musical |
| 70 | Harmonica | Small, Musical |
| 71 | Saxophone | Musical |
| 72 | Violin | Musical |
| 73 | Piano | Musical, Too Big |
| 74 | A-Z Hat | Hat* |
| 75 | BR Hat | Hat* |
| 76 | Compass Hat | Hat* |
| 77 | Terminus Hat | Hat* |
| 78 | Verdant Hat | Hat* |
| 79 | Hard Hat | Hat* |
| 80 | Silly Hat | Hat* |
| 81 | Book | Papery |
| 82-83 | Newspaper | Yesterday's, Papery |
| 84 | Newspaper | Today's, Papery |
| 85 | Tokens | 2 Black |
| 86 | Tokens | 2 Blue |
| 87 | Tokens | 2 Red |
| 88 | Tokens | 2 Green |
| 89 | Tokens | 2 White |
| 90 | Token | 1 Bronze |
| 91 | Token | 1 Silver |
| 92 | Token | 1 Gold |
| >92 | <special> | First item in Lost & Found Box |
+-------+-----------------+---------------------------------+
*) If the Player already possesses the found item, nothing is found.
#) The Player is immediately moved to Tower Hill and loses one
Bronze Token, if e has any.

{Comment:
Redefined the White role.
Added a couple of ways of getting White Tokens, and a couple of
ways of getting rid of them.}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 777 - Lyttleton Announcement [Action]

Rule 1.7.x - Lyttleton Announcement

A Player may perform the Neutral Action of "[Lyttleton Announcement]".
When a Lyttleton Announcement is made, all Players lose eir Home
Stations at the end of the Turn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Lyttleton Announcement] Neut 1.7.x 50 -1 Go

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications