Subject: MN: Re: Dolly's definitely feeling unwell.

From: "Wayper, Paul" <WayperP@p...>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 11:55:37 +1000

On Thursday, 18 March 1999 22:36, Kevan Davis
[SMTP:kevan@z...] wrote:
> Indeed, yes. Thring was far more victory-based, though - in Mornington
> Nomic, managing to score lots of Kudos for a Proposal isn't terribly
> impressive. I forget if Thring had any other reward for idea ownership
(was
> each rule attributed to its proposer, or was that something else?), but I
> think that Mornomic falls outside of such copyrighting - in the wider
world
> of Mornington Crescent, there's a rather beautiful "unspoken ownership" of
> ideas. I'm always secretly proud and amused when some spurious game term
> I've invented achieves widespread use. (And having Maelberg Variances
cited
> in a net-magazine review of the York Server pleased me absurdly.)

True. Thring had no Rule attribution; even then, this was amendable...

> I think we've been doing alright, really, reproposing things which failed
> because of careless yet drastic mistakes, and quietly heralding the more
> ambitious Proposals before we make them, to get a bit of feedback.

This would work if Proposers did get feedback, but I've got virtually
nothing from people that I've felt made me want to repropose the idea when
proposals have been shot down in flames - and that's with me asking for
comment too.

I was thinking through an idea for having a 'current ruleset' system - that
each game got parcelled off with its own ruleset and therefore had the rules
static (unless a special type of proposal was put through - problem fixing,
you see) during the entire course of its play. I've been burnt several
times in recent games by having to rethink my entire strategy because a new
proposal has shot down the core tactic in mid-play. Will keep you posted.

Have fun,

Paul Wayper -- DPI ITS Computer Systems Officer
_____________________________________________________________________
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c) 1998-9 PJW

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com