Subject: MN: Re: Sv: Updates to Proposals 711 & 712

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 14:42:18 +0200

Kevan wrote:

:> Proposal 711 - Walking In The Night [Amendment]
:
:This still fails to appeal to me, I'm afraid; although a nice concept, I
:can't imagine this implementation ever being used - Walking is a rare
:enough event anyway; the chances of it being needed around midnight are
:incredibly slim, and the nugatory reward (a very slight change in Game
:Time, which can easily be compensated for by the next Player) doesn't
:give any real reason to bother.
:

Is 'nugatory' an everyday word? It seems to have no relation to nougat.
:-(

:> Proposal 712 - Lost and Found [Multiple]
:>
:> London Transport's Lost Property Office is placed near Baker Street.
:
:Out of interest, though, is it actually at Paddington station? I
:forget how the bear story goes.
:

It's been quite a while since I read Paddington last, but the Lost Property
Office _is_ in Baker Street, and the nearest station _is_ Baker Street.

:> | 31 | Piano | Musical, Too Big! |
:> !) The Piano can only be moved using the [Walking] Action.
:
:After a weekend of being criticised by a three-year-old as "too big" for
:most of his toys, this amused me. Surely all "Too Big" Possessions
:should have this restriction, though, for completeness? And it should
:probably be worded as "If a Player carries a Too Big Possession, any
:non-Special Move e makes is Invalid." or something. Probably easier to
:say that you can still Wild and whatnot, I suspect. Although escaping
:a Dollis Hill Loop by buying a Piano has some amusement potential.
:

I have a 'Size Matters' proposal coming - so far I have four sizes in mind:
Small, Big, Too Big and the default, unmarked size.

:> * Piano - 1 Blue, 2 Red, 1 Bronze, 2 Green
:
:It's not very much, is it, when you're paying more than a Gold Token
:to get the thing?
:
What are the exchange rates between the various Tokens? Pianos should be
expensive and bothersome, but I don't know how much one should earn playing
one.

:> #) The Player is immediately moved to Tower Hill, loses all of eir
:> Possessions and must play a Move of "Pass" with no Actions as eir
:> next Turn.
:
:Very harsh. There doesn't seem to be enough of a positive element to
:balance this, to my eyes.
:
Perhaps too harsh. I still like the 'In Jail' (or should it be 'In Gaol')
idea.

:> A Player can perform the 30-minute Post-Move Action of
:> [Searching the Garbage], but only between 2330 and 0530,
:> and only after having performed the [Walking] Action in the same Turn.
:
:Um, the Player *has* to extend eir Turn to be able to do this, then -
:"[Walking]" takes half an hour, and the Move itself takes ten minutes.
:
What if e doesn't Move?

:Paying two Bronze to search a dustbin seems, um, odd, anyway.
:

Granted.

:> While a Player owns Today's Paper, e pays nothing to perform the
:> [Walking] Action. While a Player owns Yesterday's Paper, e pays
nothing
:> to perform the [Walking] Action, but automatically discards the Paper
:> upon performing that Action.
:
:An interesting implementation, and probably the most realistic use
:for a newspaper, but I think it'll have a possibly unhelpful impact
:on the Game - instead of just "[Walking]" and paying a Black, you
:can buy a paper for a Bronze and Walk for free.

As I say above, I don't really know the exchange rates.
Still, there is a risk that you buy a paper in anticipation of walking on
your next Turn, and then someone Farkles or somesuch.
The Sunday Paper should perhaps be more expensive - and have some additional
use?

:
:But nobody ever really uses Walking, so it's not that much of an
:issue. Perhaps it might be worthwhile concentrating on making
:Walking more usable...
:
:Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time,
:

Ah, but we only have an hour...

Ole

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.eGroups.com - Simplifying group communications