Subject: MN: Year 3 Week 11 Proposals

From: MN Speaker <speaker@d...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 21:59:57 +0100

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNINGTON NOMIC

Proposals for Voting on in Week Eleven
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 809 - Night Train [Action]

In Rule 1.13.1, after:

Game Time 'skips' the time between 0000 and 0500, and this 'skip'
advances the day of the game time by one day. Thus, if Rushton's Turn
finished at Wednesday 2340 and Garden's Turn takes 40 minutes, then
Garden's Turn ends at Thursday 0520.

insert:

If the Action [Night Train] is performed, the firstcoming 'skip' is
ignored, but the day of the game time is still advanced at 0000.
To signify this anomaly, an asterisk is inserted in the Game Time
in the Game State Document. Actions that target other Players
cannot be played between 0000 and 0500. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Night Train] Neut 1.13.1 -1 Bu

{Comment:

+- Wild -----------------------------------------------++-- Time --+
+ || Sun*1945 |
+------------------------------------------------------++----------+

This does require a bit of maintenance, but not much.

}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 810 - Gotcha! [Multiple]

In Rule 1.10.1, delete:

It is illegal to shunt Token Stacks to Stations which already have Token
Stacks on them.

In Rule 1.10.2, replace:

Token Stacks may be involved in Double Shunts; however, a Player may not
be Double-Shunted if the target of the original Shunt was a Token Stack.

with

Token Stacks may be involved in Double Shunts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 811 - Did you see That? [Action]

Rule 1.7.x - Did you see That? 

A Player may perform the post-Move Action of "[Streaking]", provided e
carries no Possessions.

When a Player performs "Streaking", all Players at Stations passed
through by the Actioning Player Lose all eir non-Worn, non-Nantucketed
Possessions.

If a Streaking Player ends eir Turn at Arsenal, Wembley Park or
Wimbledon, e gains an Overcoat and is transported to Tower Hill.
In this case, the Streaking costs one Bronze Token in addition to the
ordinary cost. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Streaking] Post 1.7.x -4 Re

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 812 - Not So Fast There! [Action]

Rule 1.8.x - Not So Fast There!

A Player may perform the pre-Move Action "[Speed Limit on <Line>: <limit>]"
to put such a Limit in effect.

If a Line has a Speed Limit, no Player with a LV of more than <limit> may
Move through any part of the said Line, unless eir Charge is greater than
+100% or less than -100%, in which cases eir LV may have a value of up to
twice the Limit.

The cost of performing [Speed Limit] is an amount of Blue Tokens equal to
the difference between the previous Speed Limit and the new Speed Limit.

All Lines and Line Segments have an initial Speed Limit of 10.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Speed Limit on <Line>: <x>] Pre 1.8.x none varies

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 813 - Mimicry [Action]

Rule 1.10.x - Mimicry

A Player may perform the post-Move Action of "[Mimicking <Player>]",
provided that "<Player>" is a Player (known as the Mimickee) with the
same LV and location as the Actioning Player (known as the Mimicker).

For one Round, all Token losses that otherwise would happen to the
Mimicker shall happen to the Mimickee instead, and all Token gains that
otherwise would happen to the Mimickee shall happen to the Mimicker
instead.

If this leads to the Mimickee having to lose a Token e does not have,
the Mimickee stops being Mimickee, while the Mimicker loses the Token
in question and stops being Mimicker.

No Player can be the Mimickee of two Mimickers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Mimicking <Player>] # Post 1.10.x -3 Re

{Comment:
I assume that the payment of the 3 Red must occur before the Mimicking can
take place.

}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 814 - Turner Reprise [Amendment]

Remove the last paragraph of Rule 1.7.58, Turner's Declension ("Multiple
Declensions can be performed in succession. The Actioning Player
receives the bottom Token of each Token Stack so moved to.")

{ Too confusing, really, and never explained - does this suggest multiple
Declensions in one Turn? Surely not, since you can only make one Move per
Turn. Successive Turns, perhaps? But if you only get the Token for multiple
Declensions, how should you know whether to take one after your first
Declension? Is anyone really going to bother? Etc. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 815 - Jack's Tractor [Multiple]

Throughout the ruleset, replace the strings "Too Big!" with "Huge", and then
replace the strings "Too Big" with "Huge".

{ Guarding against such potential grammatical atrocities as "Easter Island
statues are Too Big Possessions", and trimming extraneous punctuation. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 816 - Heading Them Off [Amendment]

In Rule 1.4.20 (Token Collection Table), remove the reward for "Playing
'Pass' as eir Move".

{ Passing shouldn't be so appealing, really - ideally it should see no more
use than the forced-Passing resulting from explosions and the like, and
rarely as anything approaching strategy. Dollis Hill Loops have become
rather disappointing, with most Players passing to gain a Token instead
of a less-rewarding normal Move. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 817 - I Closed My Eyes And... [Amendment]

Reword Rule 1.7.38 (Jekyll and Hyde Park) to:-

A Player may perform the Action "[Hyde Transformation]" to gain the Hyde
Mask Possession, provided they are situated at Hyde Park Corner. The
Hyde Mask is a Unique Garment Possession.

If a Player is wearing the Hyde Mask, e may increase or decrease eir Line
Velocity by five rather than three. Also, any Actions which target the
Player have their Token cost increased by one Red Token, and any
Actions e performs have their Token cost reduced by one Red Token.

If a Player is wearing the Hyde Mask, e may not pass through or Move to
Holy Stations, nor may e perform the "[Opening MC]" Action.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 818 - Boris Call-Off [Repeal]

Repeal Rule 1.8.12 (Game into Boris...)

{ It's far too vague and unfocused, really, with a mish-mash of minor
effects. Simple, elegant states such as Sgronk are far more interesting
to play with, and have far more of a 'style' to them. I can tell you off
the top of my head what Sgronk does, but would struggle to remember -
let alone summarise - Boris. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Your Mornington Nomic Speaker
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications

---

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 09:57:24 +0200

: Proposal 809 - Night Train [Action]

Pretty simple. But we'll have to remember removing the asterisk once we're
past midnight.

: Proposal 810 - Gotcha! [Multiple]
:

Can you Shunt a Token Stack to another Stack without Double-Shunting?
If you can, the prop needs repair.

:
: Proposal 812 - Not So Fast There! [Action]

Could be quite annoying if played with a Speed Craze.
This could cooperate rather nicely with some kind of Hatching or
Reclolouring.

:
: Proposal 813 - Mimicry [Action]

'I get all your income, you get all my expenses.'
I had thought of a Clamp, but that would be too much.

:
: Proposal 814 - Turner Reprise [Amendment]

Fine.

:
: Proposal 815 - Jack's Tractor [Multiple]

: { Guarding against such potential grammatical atrocities as "Easter Island
: statues are Too Big Possessions", and trimming extraneous punctuation. }

I had thought of this myself, but now you've really got my interest. Easter
Island statues? Do you have a prop ready?
;-)

:
: Proposal 816 - Heading Them Off [Amendment]
:

The award for Passing is, if I understood it right, some kind of insurance.
There should either be a failsafe way of getting Tokens, or a number of free
Actions.
Or both, of course.

:
: Proposal 817 - I Closed My Eyes And... [Amendment]
:

Basically adjusting the Mask to its new Garment status.

:
: Proposal 818 - Boris Call-Off [Repeal]
:
: Repeal Rule 1.8.12 (Game into Boris...)

Well, what do we do about the Boris in Game 17?

Ole

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 03:15:38 -0700

> Proposal 809 - Night Train [Action]

Nicely intriguing; a very neat implementation, and one that should make for
some interesting use.

> It is illegal to shunt Token Stacks to Stations which already have Token

So, um, what happens when you Shunt a Token Stack to the same Station as
another one?

> Proposal 811 - Did you see That? [Action]

Bizarre. I know there have been a few streakings in the IMCS championships,
but I don't think any of them were strategic. This also draws attention to
the fact that a Player without any Garment Possessions may be regarded as
naked, which probably doesn't bear thinking about...

> Proposal 812 - Not So Fast There! [Action]

Very simple, very elegant; I'm surprised this hasn't been suggested before,
appalled at myself for not having thought of it. Nicely arranged; one
possible weirdness in the fact that you can have negative speed limits,
but nothing broken.

> All Lines and Line Segments have an initial Speed Limit of 10.

Ah. This does, of course, muck up Ruttsborough. On a related note, though,
I wonder if it's worth doing away with the ten-LV maximum, and simply
having the speed limits. If you can get the Circle Line's limit up to 17,
for example, you're more than welcome to move that quickly along it...
Hmm.

> Proposal 813 - Mimicry [Action]

This looks very dangerous, to me. When it says that "Token losses that
otherwise would happen", does this include Tokens spent on Actions? Can
you Mimic someone and cheerfully spend their Tokens performing all
manner of Actions?

Kevan

--
kevan@d...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 03:29:30 -0700

> Island statues? Do you have a prop ready?

I think that's probably pushing it a *bit*... Maybe you could collect such strange artifacts from British Museum, but I'm not really sure what you'd dowith them.

> There should either be a failsafe way of getting Tokens, or a number of free

Originally the Token bonus for passing was, indeed, to help people who couldn't get Tokens any other way. I think the need for that has lessened since,really, in that there are quite a lot of cheap Actions. This encourages Players to aim for the right Interchanges rather than just pass mindlessly, andI can't really imagine it affecting the game adversely. 

> Well, what do we do about the Boris in Game 17?

I'd forgotten it was there, in all honesty. If this Proposal passes then the Boris will just fizzle to nothing; I imagine the game will be over, or at inevitably drawing to a conclusion, within the next week, though.

(He says, tempting fate rather too much...)

Kevan

---

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:04:25 +0200

###
Either two Stacks in one Station or Double-Shunt. The ambiguity suddenly hit
me after distribution. I guess this part needs repair.

###
Of course, it should have been Garments. Well, take the idea and run with
it.

###
I had thought of deleting the maximum, but decided not to, mostly to avoid
possible conflicts in other parts of the rules - not that I noticed any,
but...

This was my original reply:
##
Exactly. You just have to find someone with the same LV as yourself. This
does make Wild a bit risky.
But, you can only use eir Tokens. Once you try to use a Token not carried by
the Mimickee, e is free. That means, of course, that you use eir Tokens
first, and then your own.
It does carry the risk of superfluous Actions just to use the Mimickee's
Tokens.
Hmm.
##

Then I saw the word loss. Since we now have a place for Lost Property, it's
a bit nebulous. Gotta rewrite it.

Ole