Subject: MN Discussion: Theme

From: riffraff@n...
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 21:07:56 -0500

I'd like to propose a second, somewhat more global topic here:

I think (although I may have misunderstood) that Kevan suggested a halting
of the Nomic aspect of MN and a re-examination of the rules for the purpose
of tightening up MN into a more definitive Game, rather than the loose,
messy collection of rules that Nomics seem to invariably become (MN
certainly being no exception).

The main problem I see with Mornington Nomic, is that we're operating with
two seperate themes: a Real Rules version of Traditional MC (Blocks,
Straddles, Manoeuvers, Knip, Shunts, etc.), and also a sort of MC
Role-Playing (Pigeons, Overcoats, Busking, Station Fires, Streaking, etc.).

This has the effect of making the game rather muddled, and I think we
should choose one theme, one direction that we want the game to go, and
either discard rules that don't fit the theme, or re-define them to fit if
they're rules that seem necessary to keep. (Or even keep them unchanged if
they're inoffensive enough. I mean, Zone Passes? Fine. Hard Hats...
okay. But Vacuum Cleaners?)

Personally, I'd like to see MN changed to Traditional MC (and I suspect
Paul agrees, for one.)

Discuss?

--Riff (getting off the soapbox and putting away his CAMREC card)

"This calls for a subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--Vyvyan, "The Young Ones"

---

From: "Wayper, Paul" <WayperP@p...>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 09:10:26 +1000

On Wednesday, May 17, 2000 10:14 PM, Ole Andersen
[SMTP:palnatoke@g...] wrote:
> Well, if you have a pointer or two ready, I would like to see what it is
> like... But I'll probably stay here, anyways.

Ah. Try:

http://parslow.com/mornington
http://www.dunx.org/cgi-bin/orange-mc

for starters. Just remember - MN was the attempt to formalise, or at least
set down, the 'rules' in MC...

HTH,

Paul Wayper -- DPI IS&S ITO Computer Systems Officer
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c) 1998-9 PJW