Subject: MN: Re: Sv: Year 3 Week 6 Proposals

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 14:39:59 +0200

Kevan wrote:

:>Proposal 739 - Radio Control [Multiple]
:
:This seems very confusing; there's a lot of scope for interpretation in
:"moving parallel", and how do you keep track of which Controller controls
:which Clamp?

That's the weak part, methinks.
I doubt it will be used too much. The penalty when the Controllee catches
the Controller should scare some people off.

:Also, since you can only Clamp someone who shares a Station
:as you, surely the Controllee is just going to follow the Controller
:precisely? Strangeness.

Nope.
The Controllee is not bothered at all, as long as the Radio Control is Off.

:
:Not a bad general idea, though, and Electrical Possessions seem
:particularly neat. Maybe this Rule would work better if the owner of a
:Radio Controller could issue an "[Ordering <Player> to <Station>]" for
:any Player who has a Clamp, and where Station is within that Player's
:LV range - all Stations other than that one are then Invalid Moves for
:that Player, during eir next Turn. Or they just get penalised if they
:Move anywhere else. Hmm.

That could be a nice implementation, too. This one was stolen from
RoboRally.

:
:> Proposal 740 - A Wether Was Once A Ram [Enactment]
:
:Quite strange to see my dear old Garden Nomic weather proposal unearthed.
:Although pleasant enough in its style, it really doesn't seem to fit the
:game very well - the percussions of some of the Weathers are entirely too
:powerful or awkward, and none of them affect the one (perhaps only) thing
:in the Game that Weather *should* affect; namely Walking.

You might be right.
There is a typo in the 'smog' entry, btw. The word 'Actions' is missing
between 'all' and 'performed'.

:> Proposal 741 - It was thi-i-is big! [Multiple]
:
:Oh dear, this really is turning into Garden Nomic. Although the
:Backtracking Action is quite excellent and should perhaps be implemented
:as a normal Action, the Fishing side doesn't seem to add much, and sushi
:from the Thames doesn't appeal particularly; buying a Hat and then
:Fishing for something that might be better than the comestible you could
:have bought in the first place - not very enticing. As I say, Backtracking
:is nice, but the odds of anyone ever getting the Boot to do it seem quite
:a shame.

You might be right, again.

:
:>Proposal 742 - Don't Bomb the Chinese Embassy! [Amendment]
:
:Personally I lack a PDF viewer, so this Proposal doesn't especially appeal
:to me. I think we had this conversation before, a couple of years ago;
:it's better to reference a map that most people can access from any
:computer, than a nicer or more recent one that requires special software.
:If anyone's willing to make a JPG format image of the PDF for the Web page,
:though, I suppose that'd be alright...
:
:Having said that, the superfluous Lines on this new Map make things a
:bit awkward, having to include rules that tell us to ignore them, so
:maybe we're better off keeping the existing one.
:

A new map. It is also available as .jpg at the same site, named zone_big.jpg
(Check it out before you change the text. I might be wrong.)
Jubilee Line has grown (or the need for Hard Hats has diminished).
How do we treat 'Connections with National Railwithin walking distance'?
And do we get National Rail Hats in lieu of BR Hats?

:> Proposal 743 - Mindbocklingly... [Action]
:
:Very nice; a more precise variation of Knip. The cheapness is a little
:bothersome, but the fact that it's an all-Player inconvenience seems to
:balance this. Good stuff.

Encyclopaedia Morningtonia:

Bock
The state of Bock usually affects the whole game, although variants which
affect only single quadrants have been seen. Bock is a Coloured state,
acting as a filter on same-coloured stations, moves and manouevres; and also
affecting Spin through escalator links and Main line stations. Cross-hatched
Bock is possible although rarely used as the effects are very slight and the
maintenance cost high. [HR]

I did not get all of it, but most, I think.

There is a Douglas Adams reference too, btw.

:> Proposal 744 - Stribble me Timbers... [Action]
:
:Whether this is a good or bad thing, I'm not sure. It allows the easy
:destruction of Kafka Sinkholes and patterned Stacks, and can set up
:the fallen Tokens to be collected in one swoop (although the twice-LV
:bit stops you getting them next Turn, of course; more of a Team thing,
:and I suppose tricky enough to warrant the reward). Mmm. Interesting.
:Worth trying, I think.
:
:Stribbling does make it sound too much like a Piece Move Action to me,
:though. It must be a "Str*ing" thing.
:

A Shunt variation. Usable only on Token Stacks, so far.
No Dead-End Stribbling, either.

:> Proposal 745 - Exchange Commission [Multiple]
:
:Hmm. Double rates seems harsh, but maybe it's a step worth taking;
:"Bank then Crescent" seems too common a victory route, the way things
:are these days.

I like keeping the Bank. Could we have both?

Ole

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications