Subject: MN: Re: Sv: Token quantity discussions

From: "Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan@f...>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 11:40:05 +0100

>Jonathan's suggestion (which used, unless I miss your gist, a perfectly
>sharp Nomic Scalpel) was to make a high LV less powerful by giving
greater
>reward for final destinations; this is one way to take the emphasis off
of
>speed, but I suspect it may result in too many Tokens being thrown
around.

Too many by whose definition? Some of us are of the opinion that
certain kinds of Plastic Token in particular are not numerous enough in
the game, though I do believe that Silvers should be rare, and so should
Golds (hence my distaste for the Gold Rush which creates an entire stack
of them at once.)
This relates to another private bugbear of mine: why should Silver
Tokens be available from moves? Especially now that we have another kind
of Plastic Token. If the simple change were made, changing the "Silver"
reward to a "Green" for passing through five interchanges or landing on
a five-line interchange, then one could quite happily double the reward
for the Station landed on and gain up to three Plastic Tokens per Turn -
and without the problem that was mentioned earlier, of being able to get
two or three Silver Tokens on one go for landing on Kings Cross (in
particular) or Baker Street. Two Greens might not be so much what was
desired, and gaining three plastic tokens per turn seems a little more
conducive to strategy than two: no longer a case of "oh, this is the
only Action I can play", more a case of "right, *which* Action shall I
play?"
Moving about the centre of the board would then do no more than
change the likely colour of the Plastic Token being picked up, not
particularly increasing the likelihood of a Player getting a valuable
Silver. And the destination would become more important than the length
of the move, making high LVs slightly less important while still leaving
them desirable for certain things.

Jonathan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications