Subject: MN: Re: Year 3 Week 41 Proposals - Using Rule 0.1.2

From: "Wayper, Paul" <WayperP@p...>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 09:29:12 +1000

On Tuesday, February 22, 2000 6:17 AM, Snow [SMTP:snowl@s...] wrote:
> Oh, sorry; got a bit mixed up. Zie, zir... are more common elsewhere.
> There seem to be at least 4
> different sets of gender-neutral terms. Somebody should complain to the
> OED.

I've heard reports of up to sixteen (!), including such curiosities as
heshe/hishers, sh-he/sh-him and thim/thirs. The reasons I like Spivak are
that it's easy to read, it's short to type, and when you miss out a
consonant it's not as noticeable in speech as inserting a different vowel.

Babula,

Paul Wayper -- DPI IS&S ITO Computer Systems Officer
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c) 1998-9 PJW

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 20:29:28 -0000

PaulWay said:

> I've heard reports of up to sixteen (!)

Wow.

> , including such curiosities as
> heshe/hishers,

I would have thought "he/she", "his/her" was one of the more common ones, especialy in written
English.

Snow
-Not runnning and not hiding. Boring.