Subject: Re: MN: Re: Re: 01 August Ruleset

From: riffraff@n...
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 01:02:16 -0500

>> * Aldgate becomes an interchange station. (2nd case above)
>
>I'm not sure Aldgate or Barking should be interchanges, but your
>definition is so nice I can put up with it.

Well, personally I just think Barking should be an interchange simply
because it's marked that way on the map, and Aldgate shouldn't be, because
it isn't. I really (really _really_) do _not_ want to have to deal with
having to remember which stations marked as interchanges on the map aren't
*really* interchanges, and vice-versa.

I'm not in London (and my last visit was long ago), so can you tell me what
makes an interchange an interchange, in actual RL usage? My assumption was
that some multiple-line Stations aren't marked as interchanges because it's
more difficult or impossible to change lines there. Why is Moorgate an
interchange, and not Barbican?

>Regardless, we can't make rules based on anything except what the map
>looks like and all the maps I have don't show the terminus at HSK.

I don't understand how it could possibly be a terminus anyway - neither
line terminates there! Is it just the map I'm looking at? I only have the
Xoom one, and the poster I made my RL game-board from - it doesn't have a
date, but it has the North London and Thameslink BR lines, Ongar, and
construction from Westferry to Beckton, if that helps.

>
>> > terminus: A terminus station is one that has only one
>adjacent
>> > station.
>>
>> ...on the line?
>
>Good point.
>
>terminus: A terminus station is one that has exactly one adjacent
>station on some line.

I've only just now noticed that (for example) the District line terminates
at Edgware Road. Had we been playing that as a terminus before? I'd only
been thinking of the little T-shaped stations as Terminii. I feel a bit
silly...

--Riff

"This calls for a subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--Vyvyan, "The Young Ones"

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 15:21:41 +0100

> interchange, and not Barbican?

Co-situated stations (eg Sloane Square) mean all lines travel on the
same track. So Sloane Square only has 2 platforms and 2 tracks (1 for
each direction). I assume Barbican is the same.

Interchange stations are both housed in the same building (or on the
same site when above surface). So Picadilly Circus allows you to
travel between lines by going down a few tunnels. I assume Moorgate is
the same.

Once inside the station you needn't leave it or pass through
ticket-gates to change lines.

BR "interchanges" like Vauxhall and Waterloo have the BR station above
ground and the LU station under it; usually accessable from inside the
BR Station. I assume Barbican and Moorgate are the same.

AFAICT that only leaves Shepherd's Bush, Edgware Road and Turnham
Green. I've never been to any of these, so I couldn't say whether they
exist on the same site or are split into 2 separate stations. My guess
would be that they occupy the same site, but you have to leave the
station and reenter it to change line (this can happen at Victoria if
you make a wrong turning).

> line terminates there! Is it just the map I'm looking at?

No, none of the maps I have show the terminus. HSK has 3 platforms. 2
for the north/south bound Circle/District lines (both lines on the
same tracks). It also has another platform that terminates the
district line comeing from Wimbledon, Ealing Broadway and Richmond.
Most trains carry on to Edgware Road, but some terminate at HSK.
Obviously since there is only 1 platform one train must leave before
another can arrive.

The only other thing to say about HSK is that trains wait there
forever before going on south.

-- Snow
Falling through misty impersonations.

---

From: David Lynch <david@d...>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 18:00:41 -0500 (CDT)

A few random thoughts about maps and such... 

We are trying for accuracy with reality, but it seems to me that we could
make a couple minor changes from the LUL map on our official map for the
purpose of gameplay, such as dropping the Queen's Park non-interchange.

Also, why not update the map for the Jubilee Extension? If I understand
the current discussion, we're essentially going to treat the "under
construction" section as a regular line with all co-located stations
rather than interchanges. It would seem just as easy to use the real
line.

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 18:38:30 +0100

> purpose of gameplay, such as dropping the Queen's Park
non-interchange.

Great idea. We can make up the interchange rule via some sensible
consistant means and then edit the map to match.

> rather than interchanges. It would seem just as easy to use the real

Yes, there's no point complicating the matter with under-construction
lines that don't exist anymore. We should just make a copy of the
current map from the LU website and put it on Xoom.

-- Snow
Repeating everything David says through inability to think of anything
original to say myself.