Subject: MN: Year 3 Week 22 Proposals

From: "MN Speaker" <speaker@d...>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:49:57 +0100

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNINGTON NOMIC

Proposals for Voting on in Week Twenty-Two
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 890 - The Fast Game [Enactment]

Create a new section

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
SECTION 2.x - The Fast Game
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Rule 2.x.1 - The Fast Game

In the Fast Game if a Player takes more than 36 hours (excluding weekends)
to take a Turn then a Move of Timeout is automatically made and any other 
Move becomes invalid. It then becomes the Turn of the next Player in the 
Playing Order.

{
Probably best when mixed with other SRs (Ruttsbourgh?).
}

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 891 - Busy Buzzy Bee [Multiple]

Reword Rule 1.16.1 - One Good Turn

A Turn may be Legal, Questionable, Illegal or Mistimed.

Turns are Legal by default; if the most-recently taken Turn is Legal play 
may continue as normal.

If a Turn is not Legal, play may not continue until the Turn has been
established as Legal or Illegal. All Turns following a non-Legal Turn are
deemed Mistimed.

If a Turn is Illegal it, and all Turns that follow it, are deemed never to
have occurred and play continues from the most recent Legal Turn.

{
Mistimed Turns become Legal if the Buzzed Turn becomes Legal, so Buzzing is
not an underhand way to retake a regretted Turn.
}

In Rule 1.16.2 - Buzzing 
replace the sentence

If a Player believes that another Player has made a Turn which is not in
accordance with the Rules being used for that Game, and if no more than
three other Turns have been made since, e may Buzz that Turn. 

with

If a Player believes that another Player has made a Turn which is not in
accordance with the Rules being used for that Game at the time the Turn 
was subbmitted, and if no more than three other Turns have been made since,
e may Buzz that Turn.

{
Stops Turns being Buzzed that were valid at the time taken, but not after
a Ruleset change.
}

Add to the end of 
Rule 1.16.2 - Buzzing

If a Turn is currently being Buzzed then no further Buzzes can be made in 
that Game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 892 - Charge Matching [Amendment]

Remove the phrase "if charge does not match" from the [Opening MC] Action in
the Action table.

{
I don't know what this means, but I can't find any reference to 
it in the rest of the Ruleset so I'll assume it's a hang-on from
some earlier Rule.
}

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 893 - Y2K bug [Enactment]

Rule 2.1.x - Y2K bug 

Rule 1.7.62 (Let's go to the Dome, Simone) does not apply to the Long
Game.

This Rule will repeal itself on the second of January 2000.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 894 - No Walkouts [Amendment]

Rewrite
Rule 1.8.6 - Loop the Loop

A Game may be in one of several Loop states, each of which must have the
following defining features:-

* One or more Trap Stations.
* A Sidestep Action to allow a Player to avoid being drawn into the
Loop.
* A Terminate Action to allow a Player to end the Loop.

If a Player finishes er Turn at a Trap Station and is not at the same Station
e started er Turn at then the Game enters the Loop associated with that Trap
Station. The Game does not leave the Loop until the Terminate Action for that
Loop is made.

When a Game is in a Loop, a Move to any Station other than the Next Station in
that Loop is an Invalid Move, and a Special Move to the next listed Trap Station
for that Loop is permitted (if no more are listed, a Special Move to the first
in the list is permitted).

If a Player performs the Sidestep Action, e ignores the Loop for the remainder
of eir Turn.

{
At the moment if a Player is Timed out at a non-Trap Station or (possibly)
Walks away from a Trap Station the Loop ends.
}

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 895 - Baker Street [Special Ruleset]

{ Perhaps this would make the Game a little less intimidating to potentially
new Players; by playing with a highly cut-down set of Actions, the Game
becomes a lot simpler, and this is probably quite a good way to get a
taste for things.

Even if we're not able to run a Baker Street Game continuously, I think
the presence of one such Game in the archive should be enough to convince
passers-by that the Game *is* quite simple, at heart. }

1. Elementary, My Dear Watson! [Enactment]

The Baker Street Variant is a much-simplified version of the game,
intended for Players who are new to the game (or who fancy a little
relaxation). Although very similar to the Vanilla game in premise and
style, it carries a few notable restrictions, most prominently the
greatly reduced number of possible Actions.

2. Limited Actions [Enactment]

The following Actions are the only ones which may be performed in a
Baker Street Variant. (Note that "[Rent to <Player>]" is the only
Action to have an altered Token cost.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain FR
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Applauding <Player>] Neut 0.9.4 none
[Blocking <Station>] Post 1.9.1 1Re (S1)
[Home] Pre 1.12.4 30
[Home: <Station>] Neut 1.12.2 none
[Line Change] Pre 1.5.11 none 1Bk
[LV+X] Pre 1.6.1
[LV-X] Pre 1.6.1
[Opening MC] Neut 1.7.28 3Go if Charge
does not match
[Rent to <Player>] Pre 1.12.3 4Any
[Shunting <Player(s)> to Post 1.10.1 1Re (S0,L0)
<Station>] #
[Taking a Bow] Neut 0.9.4 none
[Token Running] Neut x.x.x 1 Go
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Gaslamps [Enactment]

In a Game of Baker Street, neither Charge nor Currents are used.

4. Modesty [Enactment]

Players neither gain nor lose Points for partaking in a Baker Street
Game.

5. Token Running [Enactment]

A Player may perform the Action "[Token Running]" if eir Piece is
situated at a Terminus Station outside of Zone 1, and if e has not
performed the "[Token Running]" Action at that Station earlier in
the Game. Upon performing this Action, e gains one Gold Token.

{ Ah, nostalgia. This seems like an appropriate Gold mechanism for such a
simple variant, anyway. }

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 896 - Flat-Earth Society [Multiple]

Repeal all Rules of Section 2.5 (Spherical Projection), and remove the
Section from the Ruleset.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MN Speaker
-It's like wrestling with a wrestler.

---

From: kevan@s...
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 01:46:19 -0700

> to take a Turn then a Move of Timeout is automatically made and
[...]

"Automatically made" seems a bit awkward, in absence of any automatic
way for Turns to be submitted; I can imagine things becoming awkward if
a few people take a while to submit turns consecutively. Might it be
easier just to say "if a Player doesn't take eir Turn within 36 hours, e
may not submit a Turn for that Round", or somesuch?

> not an underhand way to retake a regretted Turn.

My brain hurts too much to think whether this covers everything or not.
It seems alright at first glance, though.

> Stops Turns being Buzzed that were valid at the time taken, but not
after

Very good point.

> If a Turn is currently being Buzzed then no further Buzzes can be
made in 

"Currently Questionable", though, surely? The act of Buzzing only takes
an
instant.

> it in the rest of the Ruleset so I'll assume it's a hang-on from

It was a hangover from an old Rule; I'm afraid we *did* repeal it in the
end, RiffRaff - if you browse the archives you'll find the full
discussion of it, but basically there were one too many
clever-maths-tricks for managing a Charge win, and it was something that
could be very unexpected, compared to the "Oh, Paul's got two Golds, I'd
better keep an eye on him" stuff of normality. It metamorphosed into
Electroplating (Bronze to Gold if you've got a high enough Charge), for
what it's worth.

> Rule 1.7.62 (Let's go to the Dome, Simone) does not apply to the
Long

Tch, I'd forgotten we intended to fix this. Well remembered.

> Walks away from a Trap Station the Loop ends.

Walking or Straddling or the like, yes. I'd not noticed. Tch. This new
approach will have to put something in the Disruptions Box, though,
really.

Good stuff, anyway.

Kevan

--
kevan@s...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 20:23:56 +0100

> passers-by that the Game *is* quite simple, at heart. }

I'm not sure passers-by will be digging deep into Special Rulesets. That said, it is an excellent
idea.

It is on my list of things to do write a "Rough Guide to Mornomic" for the web site, but it is
fairly low down the list and the items at the top have been there for months without progress.

> Section from the Ruleset.

I've only just looked at this one. It seems rather nice.

Snow
-Trevor replied to the General "Fuel the plane. We're going to invade Belgium".

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 20:30:36 +0100

Kevan wrote:
> way for Turns to be submitted;

Yes, a good point.

> I can imagine things becoming awkward if

That would be better.

> "Currently Questionable", though, surely? The act of Buzzing only takes

Your right, but since this isn't currently covered in the Ruleset the Proposal won't remove
anything.

> approach will have to put something in the Disruptions Box, though,

Yes. We could put it in the, as yet unexplained, Game States box and maybe include the Line States
there as well.

Snow
-The penguins pushed the plane down the runway until the engines started and jumped in at the last
minute. At last they were on their way to Belguim to confront the terrible compost-rights violations
there.

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 21:29:47 +0100

> Proposal 890 - The Fast Game [Enactment]

I'm going to withdraw this, because I've had a better idea.

Snow
-nuf si sdrawkcab ffuts gnitirw

---

From: kevan@s...
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 01:37:24 -0700

> I'm not sure passers-by will be digging deep into Special Rulesets.
That said, it is an excellent

Well, a little mention in the FAQ or on the index page would be more
than enough, I think.

> fairly low down the list and the items at the top have been there for
months without progress.

I think we've considered such a few times before, and have dismissed it
as a bad idea in light of the ruleset's continual overhauls. Having
said that, though, I think we may well be at a stable enough point to
sit down and write something - the FAQ already has, I believe, a brief
overview of the game's workings; what depth might be required beyond
that, I'm not sure.

Kevan

--
kevan@s...
http://www.stormloader.com/kevan