Subject: MN: Re: Dolly's definitely feeling unwell.

From: "Dunx (Duncan Ellis)" <DELLIS@u...>
Date: 19 Mar 99 08:55:18 +0000

>I was thinking through an idea for having a 'current ruleset' system - that
>each game got parcelled off with its own ruleset and therefore had the
rules 
>static (unless a special type of proposal was put through - problem fixing,
>you see) during the entire course of its play. I've been burnt several 
>times in recent games by having to rethink my entire strategy because a new
>proposal has shot down the core tactic in mid-play. Will keep you posted. 

Hmm... that has a lot of potential. It would also make tournament play a 
lot fairer, I think. 

You could have a frozen Ruleset for each Game, with votes being taken 
amongst the players for that game as to whether particular proposals 
affecting the Vanilla ruleset should be applied to the rules for that Game. 

When I was thinking about this earlier, I was worrying that there would be 
a merge problem when a Game ended, but that is faulty reasoning since 
changes would not be applied to any Game Ruleset which were not already 
present in the Vanilla rules. 

One suggestion I would make up front is that each Game should have a Deputy 
Speaker to maintain the local Ruleset and collate the Votes - editing one 
Ruleset is fine, but performing the same edits six times? Or even more if a 
Tournament is in play. 

I do like that idea though... it would obviate the need for the rather 
clumsy Frozen/Fluid Nomic state kludge as well. 

-- 
Dunx 
IRL: Duncan Ellis, Senior Software Engineer, Business Modelers, Oracle 
<I work for Oracle, I don't speak for them>

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com