Subject: MN: Re: (fwd) London Underground Map

From: "Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan@f...>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 17:09:40 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: kevan@d... <kevan@d...>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Friday, May 28, 1999 11:17
Subject: MN: Re: (fwd) London Underground Map

>> I also objected because any change in map requires a change in
Current
>> calculations, since Current is defined in terms of physical loction
on the Map.
>> This is an objection I intended to voice on the list, but other more
urgent
>> concerns intervened.
>
>I think Current and Charge are leaning towards the arbitrariness of
Venbacker Numbers, in that they're only really referenced from a look-up
table. If the new Map is only slightly differently arranged, I think we
could probably get away with keeping the current Currents. If you're
looking for a Station with a particular Current, you can estimate it
simply by glancing, and get a more precise reading by searching the
Ruleset or using the Mornomic Companion.
>
>Unless anyone's printing out the Maps and using a pair of compasses to
determine Valid Moves during a Charge Spiral, or somesuch, I suppose. A
particularly pleasing image, but I rather doubt anyone's bothering.
>
>Hmm. Maybe it's time to try and write that huge and impressive Mornomic
Companion program that does all that sort of thing. In extremely belated
response to a point of Paul's that never got an answer, I expect I could
manage some sort of Map-mapping program (click on the Stations and it
determines their coordinates, allowing Current and Quadrants and whatnot
to be calculated fairly easily) if I had a computer; I still haven't
gotten around to buying one myself, and Chrissy's has been lacking a
monitor for a particularly long time, now.
>
>> Finally, I don't think that using the latest map is important. It
doesn't matter
>> which map we use - as long as we agree on which map it is.
>
>Well, indeed. I'm quite happy with the one we've got, although the
newer ones suggested by London Transport *are* rather nice... Would it
impact things terribly if we used the National Rail lines in Vanilla
Games, perhaps with a little reworking (a small fare to Move along them,
I suppose)?

Well, with so many more stations, the chances of Players ever
interacting with each other would be pretty remote... which is why I
tend to lean towards using only the North London and Thameslink
connections that appear on most maps of the Underground when the rest of
British Rail doesn't appear. Hence, the current situation with the
Vanilla Rules (CAMREC standard, no national railways at all - in fact, I
think the Vanilla Rules should be named "Chalk Farm 84" in honour of the
last known ruleset that IMCS and CAMREC could agree upon, and another
name found for the ruleset that currently bears that name...) and
Finsbury Option (the most successful of the more recent IMCS proposals
so far, but not yet accepted by CAMREC, nor is it yet "official",
they're still beta-testing it - although it seems only a matter of time,
as the Jubilee now nears completion and no serious bugs have been found
yet.)

Jonathan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications