Subject: MN: Re: Sv: Token quantity discussions

From: "Wayper, Paul" <WayperP@p...>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 09:25:34 +1000

On Thursday, June 03, 1999 8:40 PM, Jonathan Ellis
[SMTP:jonathan@f...] wrote:
> This relates to another private bugbear of mine: why should Silver
> Tokens be available from moves? Especially now that we have another kind
[snip]
> Moving about the centre of the board would then do no more than
> change the likely colour of the Plastic Token being picked up, not
> particularly increasing the likelihood of a Player getting a valuable
> Silver. And the destination would become more important than the length
> of the move, making high LVs slightly less important while still leaving
> them desirable for certain things.

That's a great idea. How about this:

Proposal - The Age of Plastic

Replace Rule 1.4.20 with the following text:

The following table lists the Token Bonus awarded to a Player during eir
Token Collection phase. If the Event listed occurred during eir Movement
phase, then they receive the Bonus listed against that Event.

In the table, <m> is the quotient and <n> is the remainder given when the
number of Interchanges the Player passed through (not counting each
Interchange more than once) is divided by five, and one is added. In
mathematical terms, <m> = (<interchanges> / 5) and <n> =((<Interchanges> mod
5) + 1). If the number of Interchanges the Player passed through (not
counting each Interchange more than once) is less than two, then <n> is
zero.

+----------------------------------------+--------------+
| Event | Token Bonus |
+----------------------------------------+--------------+
| Playing any Valid Move within a Zone | +1 Bronze |
| for which a Zone Pass is carried | |
+----------------------------------------+--------------+
| Moving from or to an Interchange with | +1 Red |
| exactly two lines | |
+----------------------------------------+--------------+
| Moving from or to an Interchange with | +1 Black |
| exactly three lines | |
+----------------------------------------+--------------+
| Moving from or to an Interchange with | +1 Blue |
| exactly four lines | |
+----------------------------------------+--------------+
| Moving from or to an Interchange with | +1 Green |
| five or more lines | |
+----------------------------------------+--------------+
| <n> is equal to three | +1 Red |
| (2,7,12 Interchanges) | |
+----------------------------------------+--------------+
| <n> is equal to four | +1 Black |
| (3,8,13 Interchanges) | |
+----------------------------------------+--------------+
| <n> is equal to five | +1 Blue |
| (4,9,14 Interchanges) | |
+----------------------------------------+--------------+
| <n> is equal to one | +1 Green |
| (5,10,15 Interchanges) | |
+----------------------------------------+--------------+
| <n> is equal to two | +1 White |
| (6,11 Interchanges) | |
+----------------------------------------+--------------+
| <m> is greater than zero | +1 Plastic |
| (more than six Interchanges) | Token |
| | (any colour) |
+----------------------------------------+--------------+
| Playing a non-Pass Move which did not | +1 Black |
| involve a change of Line | |
+----------------------------------------+--------------+
| Playing 'Pass' as eir Move | +1 Plastic |
| | Token |
| | (any colour) |
+----------------------------------------+--------------+

It may look a little complex, but in my mind it solves a couple of problems.
Firstly, all the bonuses with the exception of Zone Passes now give only
plastic tokens. Secondly, the bonus for moving through lots of interchanges
is not really that much larger. Thirdly, it means that if someone happens
to want to up the Ruttsborough allowable velocity, the formulas still cope
with giving those bonuses. Fourthly, the table's set out to make things
relatively easy to read.

Anyway, what do you think?

Paul Wayper -- DPI ITS Computer Systems Officer
_____________________________________________________________________
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c) 1998-9 PJW

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications

---

From: Dunx <dunx@l...>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 00:04:51 +0100

PaulWay wrote:
>Token Collection phase.

[...]

>It may look a little complex [...]

You're not wrong!

To be honest, the reason I voted for the simplifcation of the token table
was that the rewards at higher interchange counts were non-incremental,
strange, and difficult to remember. I would vote against Age of Plastic for
the same reason.

I actually agree with Kevan that the current situation is pretty much OK, but
if we're going to up the rewards for larger interchange counts can we keep them
linear?

Or even just straight additive - for the first five interchanges passed through
you get a Silver, then take five off the interchange count and look the number
up again.

So six interchanges would get the same as five (ie one Silver), seven
interchanges would get a Silver and a Red, and so on.

--
Dunx
Ceci n'est pas un .sig