Subject: MN: Re: Reworded Proposal 666

From: "Kevan Davis" <kevan@z...>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 21:40:36 +0100

>>This leaves Line-Changing untouched, though; going Home to a different
>>Line becomes Invalid if you don't pay an extra Black, and all that. Not
>>too pleasing. This seems to be overcomplicating Rule 1.5.0 far too much,
>>really. And still has the problems I mentioned whenever I mentioned
>>them.
>
> Nope, not as I read it: Home is in the "Special Moves" section of
>Rule 1.5.0 (look at it), and thus exempt from Trivial Fares (see the
>earlier amendments to the Line Change action contained in Proposal 666:
>"Special Moves are not considered for Trivial Fares".

My apologies - I'd forgotten the fact that an earlier bit of the Proposal
put that amendment in.

> However, Special Moves will also, it appears, not be eligible for
>the same-Line bonus

A fair thing, I think, but awkwardly implemented - being unable to claim the
Token Bonus should be mentioned in the Token Collection Table, not buried
amid the Move Validity stuff.

Such is really my gripe with the Proposal - that although it takes some
decent action here and there, it seems to go about it in rather a
complicated manner; Dunx commented that Rule 1.5.0 is already unwieldy;
Proposal 666 would just make it worse.

Too wide a Proposal, really - the Knidding idea is particularly good, but
the rest drags it down in my estimation.

> It doesn't look too complicated to me: you can play a Special Move
>(denoted by needing a Pre-Move Action to enable it, and considered a
>teleport) or a Standard Move (LV-dependent, passes through the
>intervening stations, and is eligible for a same-Line bonus or
>different-Line penalty.)

Hmm. Maybe this is a good direction to take things, actually, to simplify
the whole Move Legality business - Special Moves are always Valid (unless
they themselves give circumstances when they aren't), normal Moves are
Invalid if any particular Rule (Blocking, Maelbergs, Charge Spiral) declares
them as such.

Hmm.

> Besides, the problem you point out (does Homing to a different Line
>cost a Black Token for changing Line?) is already there in the original
>ruleset,

Not really. It doesn't matter whether you pay the Black or not, since the
Move becomes valid either way when we hit the Special Moves section.

Same old line,

Kevan

--
kevan@d...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com