Subject: Re: MN: Re: RE: Token Stacks and bonuses

From: riffraff@n...
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 19:56:46 -0500

>> I kind of liked it, in the same way I like putting Luxury Tax and
>Community
>> Chest money on Free Parking in Monopoly
>
>How strange, my sister plays by such a rule, but when we checked the
>ruleset it doesn't exist. Maybe it was introduced in a later (or
>earlier) version. Daft rule if you ask me, it just keeps all the
>Tokens/money in the game so they saturate.

It's not an actual rule, more of a house rule that gets played in most
people's houses. (Most people I know, anyway.)

>
>> >The trouble with
>> >allowing people to pick up Tokens is that other Players would just
>go
>> >around picking up your carefully placed Tokens.
>>
>> It just seems so natural, though. You land at a Station with a
>token, you
>> get the token. It's like some kind of inherent law of boardgames.
>
>It would certainly be nice to pick up Tokens, but how do we regulate
>it? Limit picking up Tokens to one at a time, but allow 2 to be
>placed (so you can protect useful tokens with a worthless Black). Or
>prevent Tokens from being picked up with x Turns/Rounds of being
>placed. Or have a charge for picking up Tokens.

Point. Well, how about this (I'm going off your ruleset from the egroups
file here): First we make Bronze tokens a bit more common by making a BR
Station worth a Br instead of Bu . BR = Br Aha-ha-ha. Then, we can charge
a Br for picking up a Token. For the other tokens, make Interchanges worth
_either_ a Blue or a Red, and 3-4-5 Terminuses worth a Blue _and_ a Red
(Since they're relatively hard to get to). Howzat?

>> All we really need right now is to finalize Movement (including
>token
>> bonuses), decide whether or not to use Time (I prefer Time, but I'll
>bow to
>> the majority), and pick a few starting actions. And then we can
>> start....... PLAYING! AARGH! (ahem.) After that, we can bring back
>some
>> kind of Nomic system to add more complicated stuff like Token
>Stacking
>> Gambits and my Podumes/Player States ideas...
>
>OK, let's try to get some sort of rough draft going so we can see the
>holes. I've cut and pasted some of the stuff posted here with some of
>the stuff from the current Ruleset and produced a very rough draft. If
>people suggest better wording I can update it.
>
>Alternatively if Riff (or anyone else) wants to be editor e can
>scavenge chunks out of it for their own version. I just want to be
>able to see what I'm doing really.
>
>http://www.egroups.com/files/l-nomic-d/

Looks good for a start... some questions:

Are we going to allow the 3 free steps of movement? Otherwise it may be
possible to get stuck.

Actions - how many per turn? Or are we just doing Time, presumably a limit
of an hour? I notice you included durations in the blocking/unblocking
actions.

Blocking/Unblocking - Any color Tokens? Red, like the original version?
Or Blue, since they don't directly affect other Players? Or perhaps Red to
Block and Blue to Unblock? And can Unblocking be performed from anywhere
on the board?

--Riff

"This calls for a subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--Vyvyan, "The Young Ones"

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 12:32:52 +0100

> (Since they're relatively hard to get to). Howzat?

Why not just charge a Green? Or keep your system but have
interchange=red, termini=blue. That way Blues can be used for more
powerful, game-wide Actions.

> Are we going to allow the 3 free steps of movement? Otherwise it
may be

Sorry, forgot to put that in.

> of an hour? I notice you included durations in the
blocking/unblocking

I used a template from another ruleset. The blocking/unblocking
Actions are just place holders. I will work on a fresh template for
Mornomic 2 (or Real MC?) once we've decide if durations are needed.

> Block and Blue to Unblock? And can Unblocking be performed from
anywhere

Again it's just a place holder. The other ruleset only has one token
colour. When I write the new template I will include appropriate
support for multiple tokens.

-- Snow
Charmed is back, but Morse has been made an hour earlier so they're on
at the same time. Proof of conspiricy.