Subject: MN: Re: MCMapper

From: Dunx <dunx@d...>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 5:11:36 AST

"Snow" wrote:
> I've finally got this thing working. MCMapper is a program to get Station
> Currents from a JPEG or
> GIF image.
> 
> www.snow.vg/program/mcmapper.html

Cool!

Now all we need is something to use that information to parse game state
documents and draw the current positions onto a map.

> You will need a Java 1.1 VM to run it. I've tried it on MS JView v5 and
> Sun JRE v1.1.6 which worked
> fine and Sun JDK v1.2 which didn't.

Oo er... how does it fail? I don't have a 1.2 JVM to hand at the mo, although
I do need to get hold of one. Hmm.

> I have converted Dunx's map data so that it can be read by MCMapper (hope
> you don't mind Dunx), but
> the data structures are slightly different, so it's not optimal.

Of course I don't mind. I'm just glad they're being used.

I'm also not fussed about the data structures - as long as what you're using
works, and is general enough to cover other maps, I'm not bothered.

> Could anyone recommend a book on OO software design, preferably aimed at
> the kind of person that
> finds For Dummies books challenging?

Not really, since I've learnt OO on courses and as I've gone along rather
than from a book.

The only book I've read on the subject is "Object-oriented Modeling and
Design" by James Rumbaugh (and four others) which is considered a classic.
The notation used is similar to (indeed was the prototype for) parts of the
UML standard, but it can be rather heavy going.

A book I've seen consistently recommended is "Thinking In Java" by Bruce
Eckel. I mention it because it apparently does a very good job of explaining
how objects work in Java, so it might be a good bet here.

An XML ruleset, eh?

Want a hand?

--
Dunx
"Fixing HTML is like trying to graft arms and legs onto a hamburger."
Ted Nelson