Subject: MN: Re: Year 3 Week 21 Proposals

From: riffraff@n... (RiffRaff)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 20:36:03 -0400

>Proposal 889 - Hyde Makeover [Amendment]
>
>Add the sentence "The Hyde Mask may not be removed, only discarded." to the
>first paragraph of Rule 1.7.38 (Jekyll and Hyde Park).
>
>{ The "remove before your Move, wear after" aspect, as an easy way to avoid
> the Holy Station thing, had eluded my attention. Tsk. Well done, RiffRaff.
> This seems the easiest solution, anyway.

Hum. I don't see the problem with being able to remove it to avoid the
Holy Station thing - after all, it takes half your turn to do it, and due
to the layout of Holy Stations, the right side of the board is completely
walled off otherwise, apart from a very circuitous southerly route.

Perhaps if you could move through Holy Stations while it's removed, but
couldn't stop at Holy Stations in either case? That way, if you didn't
have enough time left to put it back on after the move, someone could
always shunt you and steal it...Perhaps it could even have the time
required to wear/remove it upped to 20 minutes.

Of course, I might be seen as a bit biased... ;)

> Incidentally, has anyone else started visualising the Hyde Mask as Darth
> Maul? Tch. }

I keep thinking of the Bugs Bunny cartoon with Dr. Jekyll in it. He
switches back and forth a lot - thus supporting my argument ;) That and
the more gory portrayal of him/them in Alan Moore's "The League of
Extraordinary Gentlemen".

--Riff

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 02:35:19 -0700

> [The Hyde Mask]

It seems wrong that the "normal" way to circumvent a problem should be
so clumsy-looking on the GSD, though. I'd rather see it addressed in a
manner that befits what were presumably the original intentions of the
Mask ("Become more powerful, but suffer in-theme movement
restrictions").

> always shunt you and steal it... Perhaps it could even have the time

All reasonable alternative solutions, but I think a simple "you can't
take it off" approach is probably a lot neater and easier. No idea,
really. I'll see what the Voters do.

> Of course, I might be seen as a bit biased... ;)

As might I, being an opponent in the relevant game, although I try to
be objective. This is where the impartial for-the-good-of-the-game
Nomic side tends to creak a bit, I suppose.

> That and

That's the second time I've heard such the League mentioned lately, and
the second time I've been intrigued by the idea of it... Hmm. Must have
a prod at some bookshops.

Kevan

--
kevan@s...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove