Subject: Re: MN: Time: How?

From: riffraff@n...
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:18:01 -0500

>As I see it, there are a few different ways to run time. To borrow the
>format used earlier:
>
>A. Reality - Based on published times. It would be interesting, but
>complicated. We'd have to get time values for every line at every station,
>and have a way to get that info wherever you want.
>
>B. Reality-Based - One value per station, no matter which line, based
>on a single station as zero. Only makes much of a difference from
>"reality" at relatively far-out stations which serve multiple lines.
>
>C. Map-Based - Similar to charge. Set an arbitrary zero point and base
>times on distance that. Accurate for trips to/from the City, but not
>around the edges.

The problem with these is they have to be re-calculated for different
maps... merely a pain if it's just a newer map with 3 or 4 new Stations on
it, but if we ever wanted to use a foreign map, look out! And, you'd end up
with weird decimals and all kinds of bad math - I think times for movement
and Actions should be limited to 5 or 10-minute intervals.

Plus, consider the implementation: a chart, consisting of not just a list
of every Station, but every *Line Segment*, with different numbers for each
one. Now imagine having to reference that chart for *every step in your
Move.* I know I've said before that I like the occasional chart or
complicated rule, but this strikes me as something that'd get old really
quickly.

>
>D. Zone-Based - Time between stations is based on the zone they're in.
>
>E. Fixed - Always the same time between each station.
>
>I'd have to go for A first, then B or D - they're about equal. The last
>two are obviously the easiest from an administrative standpoint.

D is okay, but I prefer E. Nice and smooth, just count up your Stations.
I could see possibly adding in D later on as an IMCS Extension, but not in
the basic rules. Let's keep it nice and simple for new players.

BTW, are we going to keep the '8 free steps per move, interchanges cost
double' idea, and just add time costs?

--Riff

"This calls for a subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--Vyvyan, "The Young Ones"

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:13:08 +0100

Riff wrote:
> >A. Reality -
> >B. Reality-Based -
> >C. Map-Based - >

The reality system is appealing, but I think we should probably aim
for something simple.

> I think times for movement

I agree.

> D is okay, but I prefer E. Nice and smooth, just count up your
Stations

D or E would be my choice. I think D could be made to work. We need to
propose some systems and see what's what.

Here's a system.

10 mins/station (stepped to) in Z1/2
5 mins/station (stepped to) not in Z1/Z2
10 mins/line change
x mins/Action

Maximum 60mins

Stations on the Z2/3 border are counted as Z1/2.

Now, Green Tokens are no longer needed. However the green
station/bonus system is rather nice so how about we paint all our
black tokens green and give black tokens away at green stations?

> double' idea, and just add time costs?

No. Time replaces free steps. The ideas both solve the same problem,
there's no point having both.

-- Snow
I invented the semi-porous boat.