Subject: Player States and Podumes

From: riffraff@n...
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 20:02:39 -0500

[Okay, here we go. Remember, I'm not suggesting this for addition to the
basic ruleset we're working on now, but as something to add a little later
on after we're ready to start expanding. Also, this is an explanation
rather than an exact proposal, so the wording would probably have to be
cleaned up.]

With the removal of Possessions from the game, any Possession-concerning
rules we wish to keep can be converted into either Player States or
Podumes.

Player States are similar to the Disruptions box on the GSD, but instead of
concerning the game as a whole, they list status-changing effects affecting
individual Players. Thus, possessions such as:

+- Possessions ---------------------------------------------------------+
| Rushton: Narg Clamp, Spoon Clamp, Drone Stick |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

would be replaced with:

+- Player States -------------------------------------------------------+
| Rushton: Narged, in Spoon, Drone Master |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

Much like the Possessions concerned, the individual rules would specify the
exact name of the Player State, and under what conditions it is acquired or
removed.

Added note: Player States are 'states of being', therefore it's accurate to
say "Garden is in Spoon", rather than having to say "Garden has the Player
State of 'in Spoon'." (Kinda obvious - I guess that's the Rules Lawyer in
me talking.)

Podumes:

Podumes replace some of the other, stranger Possessions. They are items
that give specific extra abilities or bonuses to the Player who possesses
them.

They are similar to Tokens in certain behaviors: they can be Claimed or
Dropped as though they were Tokens, and Shunted as if they were a Token
Stack. They may also be stolen by a Shunting player, instead of a Token.

When possessed by a player, they are kept track of in a Podumes box on the
GSD, similar to the Player States box. When they are located at a Station,
they are listed as a Token Stack at the appropriate Station. (A Podume may
be located at the same Station as a Token Stack, but two Podumes may not be
located at the same Station.)

Rules introducing Podumes will specify the Podume's name (natch), as well
as the conditions under which it may be Created (brought into the game),
and possibly Destroyed (removed from the game).

Each Podume is unique; if a Podume is either in the possession of a player
or located at a Station, no more Podumes of that same name may be Created
until the original has been Destroyed.

Here are some examples:

Station Podumes: There are five Station Podumes, each associated with a
particular type of Station and color of Token. They are: A-to-Z Podume
(Black), British Rail Podume (Bronze), Compass Podume (Blue), Terminus
Podume (Red), and Verdant Podume (Green).

A Station Podume may be Created with the Gambit-type Action [Creating
<Station type> Podume], which may be activated at a cost of two Tokens of
the color appropriate to the Station Podume in question, when three Tokens
of that color are located at Stations of the appropriate type (i.e. a
Compass Podume may be created with the Action [Creating Compass Podume], at
a cost of -2 Bu, when 3 Blue Tokens are located at Compass Stations.) When
the Station Podume is Created, the 3 Tokens on the board are destroyed, and
the Podume is brought into possession of the Actioning player.

A Player who possesses a particular Station Podume may claim one extra
Token of its related color when claiming the Token Bonus at a Station of
the related type. This bonus is cumulative if the Station applies to
multiple Station Podumes in the player's possession.

A Player who possesses at least three Station Podumes and is located at
Bank may perform the Action [Cashing in Station Podumes]. All Station
Podumes possessed by that Player are Destroyed, and the player gains +x Go,
where x is the number of Podumes Destroyed, minus one.
_____

The Doppler Podume: The Doppler Podume may be Created with the Gambit
Action [Creating Doppler Podume], at a cost of -1 Rd -1 Bu, when a Red and
a Blue Token are located at Terminii outside Zone 2, in opposite Quadrants.
The two Tokens are destroyed, and the Doppler Podume is Created and
located at Tottenham Court Road.

A Player possessing the Doppler Podume may perform the post-move Action
[Doppler Effect] (no cost), provided that eir Move involved at least six
steps. Upon performing the Action, the player may change one of eir Tokens
from Red to Blue, or vice-versa.
_____

The Hyde Podume: The Hyde Podume may be Created with the Action [Creating
Hyde Podume] (-2 Rd -1 Si), when located at Hyde Park. The Hyde Podume is
placed into the Action player's possession.

When the Hyde Podume enters a player's possession, the player gains the
Player State of "Dr. Jekyll". A Player who is Dr. Jekyll may perform the
neutral Action [Hyde Transformation], which costs 1 Rd the first time it is
performed by that player, 2 Rd the second time, and so forth. (If the Hyde
Podume leaves a player's possession, enters another player's possession,
and then *re*-enters the first player's possession, the cost is reset to 1
Rd.) Upon performing the Action, the player loses the Player State "Dr.
Jekyll" and gains the Player State "Mr. Hyde". The effect lasts one round,
after which the Player State reverts back to "Dr. Jekyll".

While a player is Mr. Hyde, e gains an additional free step when moving.
Also, any Actions this player makes are reduced in cost by -1 Rd, and
Actions by other players that target this player have their costs increased
by +1 Rd.

When the Hyde Podume leaves a player's possession, e ceases to be either
Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde.

And that's Player States and Podumes. What do you all think?

cheers,
--Riff

"This calls for a subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence."
--Vyvyan, "The Young Ones"