Subject: MN: Re: Year 2, Week 41 Proposals

From: riffraff@n... (RiffRaff)
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 02:03:43 -0500

>Proposal 598 - Extending Attacks [Enactment]
>
>For simplicity, the rest of this Rule refers to the Player or Object
>affected by the Action as the Target and the Player performing the Action as
>the Actor.
>
>Any Action which requires the Actor to be adjacent to a Target may be
>Extended. This is done by adding the text '(Extend: <n>)' into the text of
>the Action. This addition of text does not change the validity of the
>Action - thus, a '[Spooning <Player> (Extend: 1)]' Action is as valid as the
>equivalent '[Spooning <Player>]' Action. '<n>' is the cost in Red tokens
>expended in the Extension.
>
>For each Red token expended in the Extension, the Target can be up to three
>Stations distant from the Actor. The Target must be on the same line as the
>Actor, and the Line Segment between the Target and the Actor must not
>include any change in Line Direction.
>

Wow... that's very useful and interesting, but potentially very
unbalancing... A lot of actions that would otherwise be too powerful are
only kept in check by the fact that you have to be adjacent. (The new
Velocity Bomb, f'r'instance) I'd much rather it be 1 Red for _every_
station distant (rather than each 3), and if it'd been my proposal, I'd
probably have made it a Blue or even Silver. In fact, Blue would seem to
be more appropriate, since it's not actually targetting other players, it's
just affecting your move.

I like it a lot, but it's... scary.

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Proposal 599 - The more Targets the merrier! [Enactment]
>
>For simplicity, the rest of this Rule refers to the Player or Object
>affected by the Action as the Target and the Player performing the Action as
>the Actor.
>
>Any Action which requires the Actor to be at the same Station as a Target
>may be Proxied. This is done by adding the text '(Proxied)' into the text
>of the Action. This addition of text does not change the validity of the
>Action - thus, a '[Spooning <Player> (Extend: 1)]' Action is as valid as the
>equivalent '[Spooning <Player>]' Action.
>
>Proxying an Action costs one Green Token and one Blue Token. An Action
>Proxied in this way may be also Extended in the appropriate manner.

This confuses me. The example doesn't use '(Proxied)', and there's no real
explanation of what Proxying actually _does_...

I'm guessing that you would use (Proxied) to allow you do perform an action
from another station, and then (Extend: 1) to perform the action from an
adjacent station? Presumably, Proxy only _allows_ you to (Extend) an
applicable action, the same way [Wild] allows you to move to a Wild station
- you still have to pay for the allowed action.

Suppose this was combined into the (Extend) proposal, simply rewording it
to "Any action which requires the Actor to be adjacent to or at the same
Station as..." and making the cost 1 Blue and 1 Green for each extra
Station of distance...

--Riff

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com