Subject: MN: Re: the Token Running issue.

From: "Wayper, Paul" <WayperP@p...>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 09:24:32 +1000

On Tuesday, March 16, 1999 7:39 PM, Dunx (Duncan Ellis)
[SMTP:DELLIS@u...] wrote:
> Interesting... I don't know if we'd want to formally recognise this
notation 
> (after all, Venbacker notation still isn't popular amongst the MC
cognoscenti 
> on the tournamet circuit despite its use being mandated by the IMCS), but
it 
> seems to be a useful tool for noting the routes taken.

Well, I use it as a short-hand - that doesn't mean I'm going to propose to
bring it into force. The IMCS, BTW, have never actually made its use
mandatory; there's an interesting clause in book 12 (that most people I've
spoken to, even on the amateur circuit) that allows the player to use their
own mnemonics rather than the standard IMCS if they find this preferable. 
Most people's 'mnemonics' just happen to coincide with the names of the
stations.

(I feel like a real fraud with this, actually - calling them Venbacker
Codes and implying their use by the IMCS is one thing for my own benefit,
but when it might be seen as some sort of justification for their use, I
back off. I have no desire to see everyone using them just because I say
so - if people find them useful, then they're there, but no more than that.
*Blush*)

> 1. the Venbacker numbers seem to mostly agree, but there are a few
omissions 
> where spelling or (usually) punctuation is at variance with that used on
the 
> map. The ones I've spotted are Barons Court; Canons Park; Colliers Wood; 
> Devons Road; Gallions Reach; Golders Green; Heathrow Terminals 1,2,3;
Parsons 
> Green; Queens Park; Rayners Lane. Shepherd's Bush is also missing, but I
have 
> more to say about that next... 

Yeah, I know. The answer to this is that these are all my own preferences
for the spellings of the stations. You'll also notice that the table
includes the North London, Thameslink and that bit which goes from Moorgate
to Finsbury Park via Essex Road, H&I and Drayton Park. That's because,
when I was entering stations, I was using an old 1994 tube map that
included these stations. I then filled in the Venbacker Codes from there. 
Likewise, with the two Shepherd's Bush stations and the Bank / Monument
escalator variations. I can only apologise by saying they're my own
invention, not a more formal result from an organised decision process.

I was also rushing to get home and didn't stop to tidy the table up. 
Apologies once again.

The Hat column was me trying to make life easier for myself. I've also
generated queries to produce Mount of Olives Gambit combinations, but
that's 2,000 records or so and I think people can work them out on their
own.

Anyway, have fun,

Paul Wayper -- DPI ITS Computer Systems Officer
_____________________________________________________________________
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c) 1998-9 PJW

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com