Subject: RE: Re: New ruleset idea

From: "Wayper, Paul" <WayperP@p...>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 08:58:27 +1000

On Saturday, July 01, 2000 4:47 AM, Snow [SMTP:snowl@s...] wrote:
> You mean a fast-track nomic system. Where have I heard that idea
> before? Oh yes, it's what I suggested 6 weeks ago, but everyone else
> said either "No, use concensus" or "No, use the current system".

*shrugs* Well, I didn't claim it was a new idea.

The feature that I'm looking for here is that each proposal is maintained
and updated by its proposer. Only once it's got all the votes can it be
passed, but it never actually gets 'voted against', just either forgotten or
discarded by the proposer. This not only keeps those pots boiling longer
and encourages people to talk things out rather than just cancelling an
idea, but also lifts the burden of collecting and distributing the proposals
and votes and such from the Speaker's shoulders.

> I think you'd need "Players" in the Nomic side, so you know when
> everyone had voted FOR (or not), but they needn't be the same as
> "Players" on the game side.

You have a point there. Should only registered Players be allowed to Vote?
Should we require this for Proposing as well? What do people think?

> Does anyone here believe that someone else has read one of their
> emails? Or are we all just talking to ourselves?

Well, at the moment it seems to just be you, me and Riff. Dunx is getting
busy at work again, and I wouldn't have a clue about Kevan - he hasn't ever
written back to me.

Have fun,

Paul Wayper -- DPI IS&S ITO Computer Systems Officer
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c) 1998-9 PJW

---

From: Dunx <dunx@d...>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 07:20:06 +0100

> busy at work again, and I wouldn't have a clue about Kevan - he hasn't ever

I'm still reading, just not in a position to contribute at the moment.

An impressive effort so far, though.

--
Dunx
Ceci n'est pas un .sig

---

From: "Kevan " <kevan@s...>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 08:48:27 -0000

> and votes and such from the Speaker's shoulders.

This seems too disparate a system, each Player pursuing their own 
(possibly overlapping) whims. At the end of the day, the Nomic system 
is generally quite bad when it comes to creating a readable ruleset - 
we really need a single "Scribe" to get the thing written in a 
consistent style and reasonably flowing sequence. (With other 
Players, naturally, pointing a finger at any typos or dodginess.)

I think we need a Speaker (or at least a vague consensus) to keep 
discussions on-track, attempting to deal with game issues in turn, 
and the Scribe writing it down as we go, occasionally posting a 
"Right, this is what the 'Moving' section will look like - any 
objections?" message to the list.

> Should we require this for Proposing as well? What do people think?

Making registration a requirement would let us all know where we 
stood, how many people were interested, and the rest, I think. A 
clear line between "Players" and (say) "Designers" wouldn't hurt, 
though.

> busy at work again, and I wouldn't have a clue about Kevan - he 
hasn't ever

I've got rather less spare time than I used to have, I'm afraid. (I 
hope the "hasn't ever written back" doesn't refer to private email, 
though? Didn't I send you something a month or two ago?) Mostly I'm 
just nodding at the list traffic here; if anything particularly 
objectionable crops up, I'll take the time to say something.

Kevan

--
kevan@s...
http://www.stormloader.com/kevan
"It's work, lovelife, miscellaneous."

---

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 10:45:42 +0200

Paul (from his work addy) quoted Snow:
: > Does anyone here believe that someone else has read one of their
: > emails? Or are we all just talking to ourselves?
: 
: Well, at the moment it seems to just be you, me and Riff. Dunx is getting
: busy at work again, and I wouldn't have a clue about Kevan - he hasn't ever
: written back to me.
: 

I'm just talking to myself, too...

Ole