Subject: MN: Reworded Proposal 666

From: dunx@l... (Duncan Ellis (Dunx))
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 06:14:49 GMT

As requested by the Proposer, and in accordance with the current wording of Rule
0.4.3, I am obliged to distribute this amended Proposal 666. Updated Propossal
follows (new section has change bars):

Proposal 666 - Vermicious Knids [Enactment]

*The following Rule is to be Enacted:
"A Player may perform the Action of "Knidding <Player>", where
<Player> is a Player who shares a Station and Line with the Actioning
Player. The Knidded Player gains a "Knid Clamp" Indestructable
Possession.
A Player who is in possession of a Knid Clamp may not play the
[Opening MC] Action, or make any Special Moves (those defined as such in
Rule 1.5.0). Also, eir Home Station is considered Open to all Players,
who may make Moves which pass through or land on it without having to
pay a Toll.
A Player may remove a Knid Clamp by playing the "De-Knidding"
Action while situated at eir Home Station with an LV of zero.

New Actions:
Knidding (-2 Red) (Post, 20 mins)
De-Knidding (-2 Blue) (Post, 10 mins)
New Possession:
Knid Clamp (Indestructable)

*The following Amendments are also included in this Proposal:

- Add "Clamps" to the list of Blocks, Impediments and Gaps in Rule
1.5.0
- Change the order of the Validity Checks, to put Special Moves
first before LV Modifiers and Trivial Fares. Add the following sentence
to the "Special Moves" section: "Special Moves (those mentioned in this
section) are not considered to pass through intervening stations, and
are not considered for Trivial Fares or the same-line bonus from the
Token Collection Table."
| -Amend Rule 1.5.0: the "LV Checks" section is to be amended as
| follows:
| "If the distance between the target Station and the Player's current
| Piece location is not precisely the same as the Player's LV, and the
| Player has not played an Action which permits a Special Move (as defined
| under "Special Moves" in this Rule), then the Move becomes Invalid."
- Change "Greening" Action to 20 mins duration, and the "Anti-Narg"
and "Degreening" to Post-Move Actions.
{Comments:
At last, a way to prevent a Player doing Special Moves - and also,
describing Homes and Wilds as teleports, so a Player who Wilds to
Leytonstone doesn't have to pay a toll to a Player whose Home is at
Leyton: this is currently ambiguous, and it seems that all previous
attempts to clarify this have failed. The price of the Clamp is not
great, but nor is the price of release from it - a simple Pass at the
Home Station will gain the requisite Blue Tokens and reduce LV to zero.
Getting back to the Home Station to do this without use of the [Home]
and [Wild] Actions could prove tricky, though... :-) And now that there
is a way of preventing teleports, I see no problem with describing these
moves as teleports (the previous objection being that there was no way
of blocking it.)
Also, all Clamping actions now take the same length of time and
occur in the same phase of the Turn, and all Clamp-removing moves are
now likewise consistent. I'm looking towards giving a generic Clamp
status to most of the restrictions that can be placed by one Player on
another.}

*Amend Rule 1.7.10, adding the following at the end:
- The action of "Walking" is valid at all times, and is
specifically exempt from any and all Rules which place restrictions on
Special Moves.
{Comment: To prevent a Player being forced to a complete standstill
when Knidded, Narged and stuck on the diagonal. The Player may still be
forced to make a move of "Pass" by other Rules, for instance the Late
Arrival...}

Dunx
--
Ceci n'est pas un .sig

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com

---

From: kevan@z...
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 08:12:08 -0000

> | under "Special Moves" in this Rule), then the Move becomes Invalid."

This leaves Line-Changing untouched, though; going Home to a different Line becomes Invalid if you don't pay an extra Black, and all that. Not too pleasing. This seems to be overcomplicating Rule 1.5.0 far too much, really. And still has the problems I mentioned whenever I mentioned them.

Mid-breakfast,

Kevan

--
kevan@d...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove