Subject: MN: Re: Year 2, Week 46 Proposals

From: "Kevan Davis" <kevan@z...>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:32:19 -0000

Some comment on the other Proposals, then, in a quiet moment...

>Proposal 653 - Let's go Loop the Loop [Multiple]

Ambitious, and nicely worded. I fear it'll get a bit complex if two Loops
have a Station in common and they start running simultaneously (Rushton
moves to Amersham and starts the Amersham/Aldwych, Cryer then moves to
Aldwych but starts the Aldwych/Ongar/British Museum instead). And I'm
*still* leery of an Escape Action which doesn't involve starting at and
fleeing from the Trap Station.

Wordings of worry:-

>Players in a Loop disregard (and thus do not perform) the Movement Phase of
>eir Turn.

Rather strange - it makes for Moves which don't actually cite a Station,
which would appear rather bizarre; a Dollis Hill Loop could just look like:

Rushton : [LV-2] Dollis Hill (BL)
Cryer : [LV+1]
Brooke-Taylor :
Garden : [Out of Knip]
Rushton : [Dollis Escape] Neasden (BL)

>If there is only one Trap Station in the Loop, the
>Piece stays where it is, and that Trap Station is a Valid Move.

This seems oddly superfluous if no actual Moves are made. Am I misreading
your gist?

Interesting stuff, anyway, particularly once we've got some multi-Station
Loops. The inclusion of new and exciting ways to avoid and stop them should
be entertaining, too.

>Proposal 654 - Voting Comments [Enactment]

Good one. Although it'd be easier all round, I think, if comments were
posted along with the Voting Results - less hassle for Dunx, and it'd
encourage people to bother commenting if they knew their words (or
uncontemplative silence) was going to be broadcast.

>Proposal 655 - Day Tripper! [Enactment]

Cute. I still mourn the old Railcards, of course, but this seems like quite
a nice idea - the one-day duration of it is particularly good. Such is
something I'd considered as a bit of realism for Zone Passes, but since you
don't get many Turns in a Day (or you didn't in the old days), it's not much
of an investment.

I'm not sure how desirable the Cards might be, mind - it's fairly rare that
people ever run out of Blacks, and when they do it's usually something to
take advantage of (only having to Block one Station, knowing that your foe
can't change Lines to get at you through other means, is a pleasing thing).
Offering three Bronze as an alternative, and throwing in the next few Turns'
Line Changes as well - I'm not sure, really. Mrm. The day-duration idea's
really quite lovely, but I'm not sure it adds good things to the gameplay.

Incidentally, implementation would be easier if you didn't bother keeping
track of the issue date and just said "When Game Time passes midnight, all
Day Rover Cards - even those in Nantuckets - are destroyed."

>Proposal 656 - Let's Do the Sidestep Again [Multiple]
>
> A "[Dollis Escape]" Action may only be performed if the Actioning Player
> is situated at Dollis Hill with an LV of 10 or more. "[Dollis Sidestep]"
> may be performed without cost when the Actioning Player has an LV of 10
> or more.

Unless I've got my wrong brain in, this just bundles the Escape into the
Sidestep, without removing the Escape. A very strange thing to do, and my
arbitrary and pointless "Escape only from the Hill itself" crusade takes an
appropriately unimpressed stance.

>Proposal 657 - Burnt Offering [Multiple]
>
>{ Comment: OK, so I didn't change the 'three' to 'five' last time...
> resubmitted with this foolish oversight corrected.

Ah, I did wonder what you were getting at.

Kevan

--
kevan@d...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com

---

From: dunx@l... (Duncan Ellis (Dunx))
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 22:29:23 GMT

Kevan commented:

>> may be performed without cost when the Actioning Player has an LV of10
>> or more.

>arbitrary and pointless "Escape only from the Hill itself" crusade takesan

Such was my expectation.

I say once more: why should a Player with an LV of 10 who would not be held in a
Dollis Hill loop be forced into one?

Anyway, the Proposal doesn't actually bundle the two actions together - it
provides (I think) a sane way of permitting those with a high LV to actually use
it. I do wonder sometimes about bundling the two together as [Loop Avoidance] or
some such, which costs 1 Silver or requires an LV of 10 or more.

This is my Proposal, by the way.

Dunx
--
Ceci n'est pas un .sig