Subject: MN: Re: Sv: Another Mornington Crescent card game

From: riffraff@n... (RiffRaff)
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 02:24:44 -0500

>At 20:53 08/06/99 +0000, you wrote:
>>> :Let me know what you might think.
>
>Apologies for not replying before - usual feeble excuses apply.

Me as well...

>
>I haven't finished reading through the various cards, but it seems like a
>very wel thought through set of mechanics. Not having played any CCG games
>at all (indeed, I wasn't even aware that each player had their own deck in
>M:TG) it's fairly novel, but I will be following the development of this
>variant very closely. Extremely interesting.

Indeed... Actually, it reminds me of a game called Knightmare Chess. It
was like a CCG except that the cards weren't collectable. You got one
whole set of cards, and each player got half the deck at random. You then
got a certain number of points to make a playing deck with, each card
costing a certain number of points.

The similarity with MCCCG was that you then played a game of Chess. You
could play one card each turn along with your move, to produce odd effects
like barriers, or more powerful pieces, or what have you. Certain cards
could only be played if you moved a certain type of piece that turn, and so
on...

>Good points:
>- constant LV
>- only one kind of token
>Not-sure points:
>- the buzz cards

I didn't even notice those... time to read it again.

>- pigeons
>
>More comments when I've finished reading, although I would like to say that
>I think the board is a sufficient differentiator to make it worth trying
>out in play. The main issue (as ever) is having a big enough board to put
>tokens onto - having tried token play on an LU map on the February
>Pilgrimage, I can report that Minstrels and Smarties are too big.

I have a board (I'm sure I've mentioned this before) that consists of a LU
poster varnished onto a large hinged board. It works quite well for this
sort of thing, if you have a table big enough to put it on. (Or if you're
somewhere where you can sit on the floor) It takes Bingo tokens and
generic plastic boardgame pawns quite well.

>>Ole's is the only response I've had to the thing, anyway. If anyone's
>>interested, the Web page (http://members.xoom.com/asabove/crescard.txt) now
>>has a couple of example decks. I'll start an eGroups list for it if anyone's
>>brave enough to say anything else.
>
>I'll stick my hand up here, I think.

Count me in too...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications