Subject: MN: Re: Thoughts on Year 3 Week 4 Proposals

From: "Dunx (Duncan Ellis)" <DELLIS@u...>
Date: 06 May 99 10:56:47 +0100

>>Proposal 719 - Listen Very Carefully, I Will Say Zis Only Once 
>>[Amendment] 
>> In order to simplify the incorporation of new text into the Ruleset, 
>> Proposals containing content which is to inserted verbatim should be 
>> formatted in a similar way to the Ruleset. This applies particularly 
>> to Enactments, Actions, and large scale Amendments. 

>This can be a bit difficult on both sides. The way I see it, the current 
>situation inconveniences only one person (the Speaker.) The situation 
>after this Rule inconveniences everyone else 

Yes, but any inconvenience is spread out - the current situation is that the
Speaker may have to reformat *every* Proposal, whereas if the Proposals are 
formatted to match the Ruleset byt the Proposer then the maximum amount of 
formatting for each individual is five Proposals. 

Also, writing the Proposal initially in a form compatible with the Ruleset 
would require no reformatting at all and hence (as far as I can see) no 
inconvenience. 

The current situation is unreasonable in that it makes the Speaker's life as
difficult as possible. 

>besides, there is *still* 
>the chance that something might go wrong. Anyway, this is unenforcable 
>(what happens to proposals submitted in the "wrong" format? Are the 
>simply rejected for the sake of appearances, or are they let in in 
>defiance of the new Rule of this proposal? Either way, it is broken.) 

This is true, but then sanctions are difficult to formulate in this area 
anyway. The only options I could come up with were a Kudos penalty, or
asking 
the Proposer to do the edits emself. 

This Proposal is intended only to document what would be of help to the 
Speaker rather than necessarily to enforce it. 

I was going to note down exactly the formats used in the ruleset, but apart 
from this being intensely dull it's also mutable - the next Speaker may wish
to lay out the Ruleset in an entirely different way or abandon the text
format 
completely. 

Would it be more helpful to offer some informal submission guidelines on the
web site rather than putting this stuff in the ruleset? 

-- 
Dunx 
IRL: Duncan Ellis, Senior Software Engineer, Business Modelers, Oracle 
<I work for Oracle, I don't speak for them>

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.eGroups.com - Simplifying group communications