Subject: MN: Year 2, Week 40 Proposals

From: dunx@l... (Duncan Ellis)
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:25:24 GMT

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNINGTON NOMIC

Proposals for Voting on in Week Forty
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 592 - The Big Issue [Multiple]

1. My Last Copy, Ladies and Gentlemen [Amendment]

To the Possession list in Rule 1.4.18 (The Emporium), add:-

+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+
| Possession | Cost | Qualities |
+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+
| Big Issue | 1 Br | Papery, Dispensable |
+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+

{ For those on foreign shores, the Big Issue is a magazine sold in
aid of Britain's homeless, unique for being sold on the street
by volunteers (who get 0.7 Bronze Tokens per sale, or something).
They're a fairly common sight throughout the land, particularly
our fair capital.

An interestingly pressuring sales approach, really - I don't buy
it because I've never found it a very interesting read, and I
prefer to just give loose change to the homeless, yet there's too
often an air of guilt when I respond in the negative to a "Big
Issue, sir?" Tsk. }

2. The Big Issue [Action]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Rule Duration Cost
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Raising Big Issue] 1.7.x -1 Gr
------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Player may perform the Action of "[Raising Big Issue]" to stir
up the capital's Big Issue sellers. Upon performing this Action, a
Big Issue Sale is put into effect for one Round.

While a Big Issue Sale is in effect, a Player's Turn is illegal if,
at the end of it, e is not carrying a Big Issue and e has not
performed the Action of "[LV-3]" this Turn.

{ This was going to be "Busk Attack!", but carrying around a copy
of the magazine to show future sellers that you've already got
one seemed a pleasing feature. }

3. Fahrenheit 451 [Amendment]

To the end of Rule 1.9.2 (Escalator Fires), add:-

If any Players are situated at that Station, any Papery Possessions
carried by them are destroyed.

{ While I think of it. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 593 - Proposal - "Line Velocity", starring Keanu Reeves [Action]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Rule Duration Cost
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Velocity-Bombing <Player>] 1.7.x -2 Re
[Removing Velocity Bomb] 1.7.x -3 Si
------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Player may perform the Action of "[Velocity-Bombing <Player>]" to
attach a Velocity Bomb to the targetted Player, who must be at a Station
adjacent to the Actioning Player. Upon performing this Action, the
targetted Player gains a "Velocity Bomb (Dormant)" - an Indestructable
Possession.

If the LV of a Player carrying a Velocity Bomb (Dormant) is ever more
than four, it is immediately replaced with a Velocity Bomb (Primed).

At the end of a Player's Turn, if that Player is carrying a Velocity
Bomb (Primed) and has an LV below five, all of eir Tokens and
Possessions are destroyed, and eir LV is reduced to zero.

A Player may perform the Action of "[Removing Velocity Bomb]" to
destroy a single Velocity Bomb in eir Possession, provided that their
Piece is situated at a British Rail Station. Upon performing this
Action, a Player's LV is reduced to zero.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 594 - Not By a Long Chalk [Multiple]

{ The Chalk Farm rules seem a little unexciting and pointless at the
moment; here's a bit of suggested rewording and replacement. }

1. Board Rubber [Repeals]

Repeal Rules 2.2.1-2.2.3.

2. Chalk Farm Denial [Enactment]

If any Piece is situated at Chalk Farm, the action of "[Opening MC]"
may not be performed.

{ A new idea, replacing the old and slightly-over-powerful "all Termini
on the same Line as you are Wild" thing. }

3. At This Time Of Night? [Enactment]

If, at the end of any Player's Turn, that Player's Piece is situated
south of the Thames, and eir Move was anything other than "Pass", that
Turn shall be considered Illegal.

{ Rather than the currently-weak "You can't cross the Thames in Spoon",
this strongly denies southerly Moves; it's impossible to cross the
river southbound during your Move, and if you're Shunted there by
another Player, you must either return north (through a Move, a Wild,
a Home, or whatever) or Pass. }

4. House Keys [Enactment]

When a Player performs an Action of "[Home: <Station>]", e may claim
a Zone Pass for any single Zone which contains that Station.

{ Reworded. }

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 595 - Stop, Lurk and Listen [Repeal]

Repeal Rule 0.4.9 (Lurker Proposals).

{ Comment:
I don't have any particular objection to this, but it has only ever been
used once to my knowledge and that Lurker is now a Player so there doesn't
seem much point any more.
}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 596 - A Small Matter of Definitions [Amendment]

{ Comment: The Finsbury Option is all very well, but it fails to define
certain important attributes Stations on the new Lines. }

Amend Rule 2.3.1 (More Lines To Play With) by adding the following text:

"Stations on the Thameslink and North London lines which are not already
defined have the following attributes (where Ct, Q and Z are Current,
Quadrant and Zone respectively):

+----------------------------------------------------+
| Station | Ct | Q | Z |
+----------------------------------------------------+
| City Thameslink (TL) | 16 | 0 | 1 |
| North Woolwich (NL) | 79 | 2 | 4 |
| Silvertown & London City Airport (NL) | 79 | 2 | 3 |
| Hackney Wick (NL) | 57 | 1 | 2 |
| Homerton (NL) | 54 | 1 | 2 |
| Hackney Central (NL) | 49 | 1 | 2 |
| Dalston Kingsland (NL) | 45 | 1 | 2 |
| Canonbury (NL) | 39 | 1 | 2 |
| Caledonian Road & Barnsbury (NL) | 34 | 1 | 2 |
| Camden Road (NL) | 25 | 1 | 2 |
| Kentish Town West (NL) | 30 | 1 | 2 |
| Gospel Oak (NL) | 32 | 1 | 2 |
| Hampstead Heath (NL) | 34 | 1 | 2 |
| Finchley Road & Frognal (NL) | 35 | 1 | 2 |
| Brondesbury (NL) | 37 | 1 | 2 |
| Brondesbury Park (NL) | 41 | 1 | 2 |
| Kensal Rise (NL) | 46 | 1 | 2 |
| Acton Central (NL) | 54 | 1 | 2 |
| South Acton (NL) | 57 | 1 | 3 |
+----------------------------------------------------+

"Connections are to be taken from the London Underground map at
http://www.londontransport.co.uk/travel/und_map.html"

{ Comment:
Phew! Had to use a ruler there... These should also be added to the
Calculator.
}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 597 - Six Hours Can Make A Lot of Difference [Amendment]

Amend Rule 0.6.2 (The Week-End) by replacing all occurrences of "11:59am"
with "17:59".

{ Comment:
Your Speaker is highly unlikely to do the Week-End stuff on a Tuesday
lunchtime. As such, it seems more sensible to move it back to a point
where it is conceivable that the paperwork will be done at the Week-End.
}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dunx
--
Ceci n'est pas un .sig

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com