Subject: MN: Re: Winning

From: "Wayper, Paul" <WayperP@p...>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 11:16:38 +1000

Thinking about things,

I believe Snow's right. Golds are an excellent way to ascertain how well
someone's going toward winning. 'Quick wins' - ways, like Charge Opening,
where you instantly win - are, I believe, looked on as a bit of a cheat,
mainly because, short of intimately studying everyone else's move (which
most of us don't really have the time for), they're almost impossible to
prevent.

What occurs to me is that these 'Quick wins' should give, say, Silver
tokens, which can be traded up to Gold. For that I'd say have four 'Banks'
- Piccadilly, Embankment, Bank and King's Cross St. Pancras - to give people
more opportunity of converting up to Golds without being the immediate focus
of Shunting attention. (Bank is, IMHO, very pressured by this threat at
this point in time).

In light of that, I have a better idea of the Snoods win thing. If you
Align your Snoods, you gain tokens using the following table:

Counters in snood before alignment / Token gained
1-2 / 1 Black
3-4 / 1 Blue
5-6 / 1 Silver
7- / 1 Gold

Because you only Align your snoods when they're equal, it means that you can
rack up a a fair bit of Vagrancy - so the Gold isn't impossible to get. To
prevent people doing several loops (OXFC -> PICC -> LESQ -> TCRD -> OXFC = 4
left counters) and then 'unwinding' to gain an equal number of the opposite
handed counter, you could say that only line segments previously uncounted
in your move contribute counters. (Make sense?) So if you were going to
get a gold, you'd have to execute at least four moves. And that's just for
one gold.

While I think the move 'handedness' is a fairly intuitive concept, it
obviously has to be codified to make sense. For instance, GRPK -> CHAX is a
left-handed move; but if you've come from HPKC, is it? If you change from
the BK to the MT at BKST, and your journey is from MRLB to GPST, have you
continued straight or have you done a left-hander (due to the MT's bend from
BKST to GPST?). And so on.

But, anyway, what do people think?

Paul Wayper -- DPI IS&S ITO Computer Systems Officer
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c) 1998-9 PJW

---

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 06:13:55 +0100

Paul wrote:
: For instance, GRPK -> CHAX is a
: left-handed move; but if you've come from HPKC, is it? If you change from
: the BK to the MT at BKST, and your journey is from MRLB to GPST, have you
: continued straight or have you done a left-hander (due to the MT's bend
from
: BKST to GPST?). And so on.

Green Park to CharingX is right-handed if it goes through Piccadilly Circus.

I think handedness should be counted only at Interchanges, and possibly at
junctions.
More or less, as 'if you were driving on a road like this, would you stick
out your hand to indicate your turning?'

Ole