Subject: MN: Re: Year 3 Week 4 Proposals

From: "Dunx (Duncan Ellis)" <DELLIS@u...>
Date: 06 May 99 09:31:26 +0100

>>> Proposal 715 - A Pressing Special Need [Multiple] 

>>I'm going to come back to this later - I need to go over the current 
>>implementation again. 

>My only misgiving is (as I've mentioned on a previous draft) that Striling 
>currently doesn't zero LV, but I don't think that's a big loss anyway. 

Actually - I've thought of something else. I think Dollis Hill Loops might
be 
inescapable. 

Consider: 

1. Proposal 715 states that LV is zeroed after a Special Move 

2. Loops are now implemented as Special Moves. 

The most pessimistic reading of this is that any Move to a Loop Trap Station
during a Loop will zero LV. Since the only way to break a Loop now is a Loop
Escape which is allowed only with high LV, this Action can never be played. 

A less pessimistic reading is that only the first forced Move into a Loop is
Special, since once in the Loop there is no need to make a Special Move to 
reach the Trap Station. There are two faults with this reading though: 

1. this reading only has merit in single Station Loops. Obviously this is
the 
only kind we have now, but I'm sure an Amersham/Aldwych loop can't be far
away 
now. 

2. it confers a considerable advantage to the initiator of the Loop - since
e 
will be the only one with a non-zero LV when the loop starts, e will have
the 
lead in terminating it. 

Either way, I think we may need an exemption on the LV zeroing of Special 
Moves for Loop Moves. 

-- 
Dunx 
IRL: Duncan Ellis, Senior Software Engineer, Business Modelers, Oracle 
<I work for Oracle, I don't speak for them>

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.eGroups.com - Simplifying group communications

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 10:40:51 -0000

> be inescapable.
> [...]

Well, there's always Food and Shadowing. Even so, I think it might be better to change the Dollis Escape to something other than a high LV, rather than making an exception to Special Moves - on reflection, it's rather counter-intuitive to build up a high LV by continuing Moving to the same Station; if we're saying that magical, teleporting Special Moves set your LV to zero, it seems odd to make one case an exception.

Kevan

--
kevan@d...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove