Subject: MN: Year 3 Week 27 Proposals

From: "MN Speaker" <speaker@d...>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 21:21:33 -0000

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNINGTON NOMIC

Proposals for Voting on in Week Twenty-Seven
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 921 - You Missed A Bit [Multiple]

If the Proposal "Soap Distant" passed last Week, undo any effect it may have
had on the Rulest.

To the list of things caused by Soap in Rule 1.20.6 (Soap on the Tracks),
add:-

* Any Player performing a Special Move to a Station on that Line must,
immediately after eir Move, perform the zero-duration zero-cost
"[Sliding to <Station>]" Action, where "<Station>" is a Station
adjacent to eir current Location. A Player may only perform the
"[Sliding...]" Action in this instance, and when e does so, eir
Piece is Moved to the cited Station.

Also, insert a few more carriage returns in Section 1.20; it looks a bit
cramped, at present.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 922 - Another Coat Should Do It [Amendment]

Rename Rule 1.4.15 (You've Got To Pick A Pocket Or Two...) to "You Got A
Light Mac?" (I keep expecting the Rule to be about pickpocketing rather
than overcoats), remove the phrase "subject to any restrictions on
the number of objects that may be Nantucketed", replace "Up to four" with
"Any number of", and reword the third paragraph from:-

If a Player loses eir Overcoat, any Nantucketed Possessions are lost
as well. 

to:-

If a Player's Overcoat is stolen by another Player, and the robbed
Player has only one Overcoat, all of the victim's Nantucketed
Possessions are moved (remaining Nantucketed) to the stealing Player's
inventory. If a Player loses an Overcoat and has none left as a result,
all of eir Nantucked Possessions are also lost.

{Speaker's comment:
The similar Proposal from last Week passed, rendering a great deal of this
unnessesary.
}

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 923 - Down a Peg [Amendment]

{ Just simplifying the rather verbose and slightly scary wording... }

Reword Rule 1.11.4 (Peg Leg) to:-

A Station may be Pegged; this is indicated in the Disruptions Box by
giving the Station name with a "(Peg)" suffix. 

If a Station is Pegged, any Turn which sees a Piece ending at that
Station is Illegal. In addition, game objects (Tokens or Possessions)
may not be placed at or removed from a Pegged Station. 

A Player may Peg a Station by playing the Post-Move Action [Pegging
<Station>] on any Station which eir Piece starts at, passes through, or
is adjacent to at the end of eir Move provided that the Station does not
contain a Piece. 

A Station is Unpegged by the Post-Move Action [Unpegging <Station>]
which may be played on any Pegged Station which the Actioning Player's
Piece passes through or is adjacent to at the end of eir Move. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 924 - Power Shunts [Action]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain FR
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Power-Shunting <Player> Post 1.10.x 1Re (S0,L0)
to <Station>]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Power Shunt is identical in execution and effect to a normal Shunt,
except that the Actioning Player's LV is unaffected, and e may not
claim any Tokens or Possessions from the Shunted Player.

{ Further Shunt diversity. Perhaps an obvious one. Yawn. }

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 925 - Do I Really Have To Chew Seventy-Two Times, Keith? [Multiple]

Change the duration of the "[Eating]" Action to ten minutes, and add to the
Baguette bit of Rule 1.4.16 (Playing with Food):-

The Action "[Eating Overpriced Baguette]" has a duration of twenty
minutes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 926 - Knuff off! [Special Ruleset]

Add to the end of Rule 2.10.5 - Knuff of it!

[Knuffing] may not be performed in the same Turn as the [Home] Action.

{
In the Pachisi game Players have to go to others Home stations, making them
easy targets for [Home][Knuffing <Piece>] sequences.
}
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 927 - Vanillaisation [Special Ruleset]

Replace all occurances of "Standard Ruleset", "Standard MN Ruleset" and "Standard
Mornington Nomic Ruleset" with "Vanilla Ruleset" throughout the Ruleset.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 928 - Dusting [Special Ruleset]

{
More non-contraversial stuff I hope.
}

Reword Rule 2.10.6 - States of Play

Circle Line is always in its Clockwise State, so the [Circle: <State>]
Actions are void.

to

The Circle Line is always in its Clockwise State.

{
The Action doesn't exist anymore.
}

---------------

In Rule 2.6.1 - Team Games

Reword

When a Player joins a Team Game, eir position in the Playing Order shall
be chosen randomly from the set of possible positions which would not
place em immediately before or after (the list wrapping from top to
bottom) a member of eir Team. If no such positions exist, eir position
is selected as normal.

to

When determining Playing Order, where possible, Players should not be put in
positions following or preceding (the list wrapping from top to bottom) a 
member of eir own team. Other than this Playing Order should be determined as
normal.

{
Just bringing the Team Game in line with the Vanilla Ruleset.
}

--------------

In Rule 4.1.2 - An Englishman's Home...

Reword the end of paragrpah 2 from

declare that Station as
their Home Station in their first non-Passed Turn.

to

declare that Station as
their Home Station in their first non-Passed, non-Timed-out Turn.

---------------

Renumber Rule 4.1.4a - Winning The Easy Way
and Rule 4.1.4b - Winning The Hard Way

to 4.1.4 and 4.1.5 respectivly and change all references to them.

{
Illegal numbering.
}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

MN Speaker
-Dropping things on his steel toe caps to see if it hurts.

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 20:19:43 -0000

> If the Proposal "Soap Distant" passed last Week, undo any effect it may have

It doesn't matter in this case, but I would like to voice my general disapproval of Proposals that
undo Proposal X, especially if Proposal X removes or replaces stuff (which this doesn't).

> Piece is Moved to the cited Station.

Rather messy, but it seems to be the only way to do it. Does it really need doing?

Snow
-"That's like hypnotising chickens."

---

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 06:30:29 +0100

: Proposal 926 - Knuff off! [Special Ruleset]
:
: Add to the end of Rule 2.10.5 - Knuff of it!
:
: [Knuffing] may not be performed in the same Turn as the [Home] Action.
:
: {
: In the Pachisi game Players have to go to others Home stations, making
them
: easy targets for [Home][Knuffing <Piece>] sequences.
: }

The greatest danger in real world ludo is when your piece lands on the space
where another player's pieces enter the track. This, of course, only happens
when e rolls 'globe' (or 6, if using an ordinary d6), and then decides to
have one of eir pieces leave the starting position.

In Pachisi Crescent, [Home] can only be performed by a piece in the starting
position. True, there is no random element to limit this, but [Home] does
change the Player's LV to 0.

I'll probably vote for the proposal, but I don't think it is absolutely
necessary.

Ole