Subject: MN: Greenish Paper

From: kevan@d...
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 14:50:05 -0000 In-Reply-To:

I think I'll chuck this one out a day early as a "Green Paper";
criticise it as much as you can and I'll submit it for Proposal
tomorrow. It basically tries to simplify the Move Validity thing, by
firmly introducing the partially-included concept of a "Special Move".
It seems to work alarmingly neatly, with no need to touch any of the
existing Invalid-makers, unless I've misread something; etched up in
the cigarette breaks of a non-smoker, I'll admit it's a little rushed.

Kevan

--

Proposal - A Special Need [Multiple]

1. The Soul of Wit [Amendment]

Move the last paragraph of Rule 1.5.0 (Valid Moves) to Rule 1.5.1 (Keep the
Piece), and reword Rule 1.5.0 to:-

"The following Moves are possible in the Game of Mornington Crescent:

* The name of any Station on the Map
* The word "Pass"
* The word "Timeout"

All Moves are Valid by default, unless a Rule or combination of Rules
declares them to be Invalid.

Certain events permit Players to make Special Moves to a given destination -
these Moves do not pass through Stations, but may still be made Invalid. In
addition, a Player's LV is reduced to zero after making a Special Move.

When a Rule says that something 'permits a Special Move', this means that
it permits the current Player to make a Special Move during the current
Turn."

2. Getting There [Enactment, as 1.6.2]

When you make a Move to a Station, that Station must be at a distance of
'x' Stations, where 'x' is your Line Velocity - if it is closer or further,
you cannot get there at that speed, and such a Move is Invalid.

If you are making a Special Move, however, an incorrect Line Velocity
will not make your Move Invalid.

3. Golly [Amendment]

In Rule 1.4.16 (Playing with Food), replace the Marmalade Sandwich's special
effect with:-

When a Player performs the Action "[Eating Marmalade Sandwich]", a
Special Move to Paddington is permitted.

4. Right of Way [Amendment]

Reword the first paragraph of Rule 1.7.10 (Walk the Walk) to:-

A Player may perform the pre-Move Action of "[Walking]" to permit a
Special Move to any Station within Walking Distance.

5. Strile, Friend, Strile [Amendment]

Reword Rule 1.7.12 (Basic Striles) to:-

If a Player's Line Velocity is six or more, e may perform a Strile via
the pre-Move Action of "[Striling]"; this permits em to make a Special
Move to any Strilable Station.

A Station is said to be Strilable if it has a Token Stack, and if that
Token Stack is identical to the Stack at the Player's current Piece
location.

6. Stubthumper [Amendment]

Reword Rule 1.7.33 (Stubbery) to:-

If a Player owns the Ticket Stub for the Station eir Piece is situated
at, e may perform the pre-Move Action "[Stub Link]" - this permits em
to make a Special Move to any other Station which e has a Ticket Stub
for.

7. Of Borneo [Amendment]

Reword the second paragraph of Rule 1.11.1 (Born to be Wild) to:-

A Player may perform the Action of "[Wild]" to permit a Special Move to
any Wild Station.

8. Paintball's Going Home [Amendment]

Reword Rule 1.12.4 (Going Home) to:-

A Player may performs the pre-Move Action of "[Home]" or "[Home:
<Station>]"; both of these permit a Special Move to eir Home Station.

9. Mustn't... Repeal... [Amendment]

Reword Rule 2.2.1 (Terminal Velocity) to:-

If, at the start of eir Turn before any other Player Actions a Player
has an LV of 10 or more, and e does not (and is not forced to by any
other Rule) reduce it below 10 before eir Move, e may make a Special
Move to any Terminus which e shares a Line with, provided that reaching
it would not involve a change of Line Direction (this option is in
addition to the standard Moves available through eir natural
LV-dependent Piece Movement and any Special Moves available).

10. Just Drop Me At The End Of The Road [Amendment]

Reword Rule 2.3.2 (Home Isn't Where The Start Is)) to:-

When a Player performs the "[Home:]" Action, it permits a Special Move to
any Station which shares a Quadrant and Line with that Player's Home
Station.

{ MC exception no longer required, since you can't Special Move to a Closed
Station. }

11. Whose Line Is It Anyway? [Amendment]

In Rule 1.5.11 (Changing Line), replace "A Piece Move that involves a change of
Line" with "A non-Special Move that involves a change of Line".

12. Loose Ends [Amendments]

To the start of Rules 1.8.1 and 1.8.6, add the paragraph "This Rule is closed
for repair - the following paragraphs should be treated as if they do not
appear in the ruleset. This paragraph will remove itself from the Ruleset at
the end of Week Four, at which point Kevan will lose ten Kudos."

{ I'd rather just close off the Loops rather than attempt to bring them in
Line, and having the Proposal fail for doing it in an unpopular way; I'll
be proposing fixes either for this Week or next. There's a bit of a stick
there to encourage me to get around to it. }

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com