Subject: MN: Updates to Proposals 711 & 712

From: dunx@l... (Duncan Ellis (Dunx))
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 21:23:35 GMT

{ Speaker's Comment:
More updates to Proposals - this time to 711 (again) and 712. These are
still for voting on in Week 4, although it's a close-run thing. Any updates
received tomorrow (that is, Friday) will have to be rolled over into Week 5
since I won't be able to publish them and still allow the four day period
required for Votes.

Once again, Votes received on these Proposals are discarded - the parties
concerned have been notified.
}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 711 - Walking In The Night [Amendment]

I want to walk in the night!

In "Rule 1.13.1 - The Richard Whiteley Experience", replace:

Game Time 'skips' the time between 0000 and 0500, and this 'skip'
advances the day of the game time by one day. Thus, if Rushton's Turn
finished at Wednesday 2340 and Garden's Turn takes 40 minutes, then
Garden's Turn ends at Thursday 0520.

with

Game Time 'skips' the time between 0000 and 0500, and this 'skip'
advances the day of the game time by one day. Thus, if Rushton's Turn
finished at Wednesday 2340 and Garden's Turn takes 40 minutes, then
Garden's Turn ends at Thursday 0520.
Exceptions to this 'skip' are:
[Walking] and [Searching the Garbage], which can occur between 0000
and 0500.
Thus, if Rushton began [Walking] at Wednesday 2350, this Action would
end at Thursday 0020.
The next Action would begin at 0500, unless it is one of the above
exceptions..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 712 - Lost and Found [Multiple]

The ^^^-delimited text is the proposal, named 'Lost & Found'.
It consists of three proposed new rules and three insertions in tables.

The %%%-delimited text takes care of a couple of potential loose ends.

^^^
Rule 1.7.x - Lost & Found

London Transport's Lost Property Office is placed near Baker Street.

A Player at Baker Street can perform the 42-minute Post-Move Action
of [Finding], but only between 0930 and 1400 on Mondays to Fridays.

The Player performing the [Finding] Action should roll a single
100-sided die after submitting eir Turn. The next Player to take eir Turn
should look the number rolled up on the table below. The found item is
then added to the Luggage Rack or Token Table of the Finding Player.

+-------+-----------------+---------------------------------+
| Roll | Item found | Special/Qualities |
+-------------------------+---------------------------------+
| 1 | Zone 1 Pass | * |
| 2 | Zone 2 Pass | * |
| 3 | Zone 3 Pass | * |
| 4-11 | <special> | Caught Picking Rags# |
| 12-13 | Spectacles | Garment |
| 14-18 | Scarf | Garment, Woolen |
| 19 | Glove | Garment, Right Hand |
| 20-21 | Glove | Garment, Left Hand |
| 22 | Gloves | Garment, Pair |
| 23 | Money Belt | Empty, Garment* |
| 24 | Casiotone | Musical |
| 25 | Drum | Musical |
| 26 | Guitar | Musical |
| 27 | Harmonica | Small, Musical |
| 28 | Saxophone | Musical |
| 29 | Violin | Musical |
| 31 | Piano | Musical, Too Big! |
| 32 | A-Z Hat | Hat* |
| 33 | BR Hat | Hat* |
| 34 | Compass Hat | Hat* |
| 35 | Terminus Hat | Hat* |
| 36 | Verdant Hat | Hat* |
| 37 | Hard Hat | Hat* |
| 38 | Silly Hat | Hat* |
| 39 | Velocity Bomb | |
| 40-41 | Package | Suspect, dropped |
| 42 | Book | Papery |
| 43-44 | Newspaper | Yesterday's, Papery |
| 45 | Newspaper | Today's, Papery |
| 46-49 | <special> | First item in Lost & Found Box |
| 50-93 | Nothing | |
| 94 | Tokens | 2 Black |
| 95 | Tokens | 2 Blue |
| 96 | Tokens | 2 Red |
| 97 | Tokens | 2 Green |
| 98 | Token | 1 Bronze |
| 99 | Token | 1 Silver |
| 100 | Token | 1 Gold |
+-------+-----------------+---------------------------------+
*) If the Player already possesses the found item, nothing is found.
!) The Piano can only be moved using the [Walking] Action.
#) The Player is immediately moved to Tower Hill, loses all of eir
Possessions and must play a Move of "Pass" with no Actions as eir
next Turn.

If a Possession is Lost, it is immediately transported to the Lost
Property Office.

The Actioning Player places the Possession in the Lost & Found Box on the
GSD. If there is no room in the box, e must remove one or more of the
items already in the box. Those items are Destroyed.

The Actioning Player may place items in the Lost & Found Box, if
-there is room in the box
and
-no Lost Possession is waiting to be placed in the box.

The Lost & Found Box is conceptually a queue, where items are added in
the rear end and removed from the front end.
The Lost & Found Box begins empty:

+Lost & Found -----------------------------------------------------+
| |
+------------------------------------------------------------------+

<the L&F-box is to be added to the GSD>

Rule 1.7.(x+1) - Awwww - What a Stink

A Player can perform the 30-minute Post-Move Action of
[Searching the Garbage], but only between 2330 and 0530,
and only after having performed the [Walking] Action in the same Turn.

The Player performing the [Searching the Garbage] Action should roll
a single 100-sided die after submitting eir Turn. The next Player to
take eir Turn should look the number rolled up on the table in
Rule 1.7.x.
The found item is then added to the Luggage Rack or Token Table
of the Finding Player.

Rule 1.4.x - Read All About It!

A Newspaper is a Papery posession that costs 1 Bronze Token.

When a Player purchases a Newspaper, it is 'stamped' with the
current game day. This makes it look like "<Day>'s Paper" in the
Luggage - for instance, an Newspaper purchased at 11:30 on a
Thursday would look like "Thursday's Paper". Newspapers that have the
same stamp as the current game day are said to be Today's, and
Newspapers that have a different day are said to be Yesterday's.

While a Player owns Today's Paper, e pays nothing to perform the
[Walking] Action. While a Player owns Yesterday's Paper, e pays nothing
to perform the [Walking] Action, but automatically discards the Paper
upon performing that Action.

<add to Action table>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Finding] Post x.x.x 42 -2 Br varies
[Searching the Garbage) Post x.x.x 30 -2 Br varies
</add to Action table>

<add to Emporium table>
+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+
| Possession | Cost | Qualities |
+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+
| Newspaper | 1 Br | Papery, Today's |
| Piano | 9 Br | Musical, Too Big! |
+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+

</add to Emporium table>

<add to Busking table>
[as bottom item]
* Piano - 1 Blue, 2 Red, 1 Bronze, 2 Green

</add to Busking table>

%%%

Special issues:

If the 'Garment' category is not defined, it shall be deleted in the table.

If the Money Belt is no more, it shall be deleted in the table, and the roll
of 23 shall produce a pair of gloves (thus changing the roll of 22 to be
22-23).
%%%

^^^

UPDATES: Added [Searching the Garbage].

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dunx
--
Ceci n'est pas un .sig

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.eGroups.com - Simplifying group communications

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 10:02:33 -0000

More updates? I'm not sure how much I'm in favour of mid-Week Proposal
changes. Personally I never vote until the very end of the Week, so that
I'm basing my opinion on as much discussion and reflection as possible,
but I do wonder how many people vote mid-Week and are inconvenienced by
these things. 

It's not a huge issue, I suppose - the updater suffers more than anyone,
since eir Proposals are likely to fail if some of the votes are rendered
invalid and never recast. It can mean quite a bit of work for the
Speaker, though, I suppose... 

> Proposal 711 - Walking In The Night [Amendment]

This still fails to appeal to me, I'm afraid; although a nice concept, I
can't imagine this implementation ever being used - Walking is a rare
enough event anyway; the chances of it being needed around midnight are
incredibly slim, and the nugatory reward (a very slight change in Game
Time, which can easily be compensated for by the next Player) doesn't
give any real reason to bother.

> London Transport's Lost Property Office is placed near Baker Street.

Out of interest, though, is it actually at Paddington station? I
forget how the bear story goes.

> !) The Piano can only be moved using the [Walking] Action.

After a weekend of being criticised by a three-year-old as "too big" for
most of his toys, this amused me. Surely all "Too Big" Possessions
should have this restriction, though, for completeness? And it should
probably be worded as "If a Player carries a Too Big Possession, any
non-Special Move e makes is Invalid." or something. Probably easier to
say that you can still Wild and whatnot, I suspect. Although escaping
a Dollis Hill Loop by buying a Piano has some amusement potential.

> * Piano - 1 Blue, 2 Red, 1 Bronze, 2 Green

It's not very much, is it, when you're paying more than a Gold Token
to get the thing?

> Possessions and must play a Move of "Pass" with no Actions as eir

Very harsh. There doesn't seem to be enough of a positive element to
balance this, to my eyes.

> and only after having performed the [Walking] Action in the same Turn.

Um, the Player *has* to extend eir Turn to be able to do this, then -
"[Walking]" takes half an hour, and the Move itself takes ten minutes.

Paying two Bronze to search a dustbin seems, um, odd, anyway.

> upon performing that Action.

An interesting implementation, and probably the most realistic use
for a newspaper, but I think it'll have a possibly unhelpful impact
on the Game - instead of just "[Walking]" and paying a Black, you
can buy a paper for a Bronze and Walk for free.

But nobody ever really uses Walking, so it's not that much of an
issue. Perhaps it might be worthwhile concentrating on making
Walking more usable...

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time,

Kevan

--
kevan@d...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove