Subject: MN: Re: Dollis Hill Loops

From: "Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan@f...>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 14:19:46 -0000

>Surely the whole point of a Dollis Hill Loop is that it affects all
Players
>and should be relatively tricky to get rid of? As I remember, "[Dollis
>Escape]" was written in as a way to eventually break the Loop by force,
if
>you've been stuck there long enough.
>
>I'm tempted to repeal the Escape Action, and perhaps reword the Loop
rule to
>permit other, "normal" methods of escape - Straddling, and whatnot. It
>should really go by Piece location, rather than Move text.

No. It was brought in specifically to get the game out of a serious
paradox when the game was in Knip (and thus the Sidestep action, which
cost a token, was banned) and nobody had any Blue tokens to void the
Knip: the move had to be Dollis Hill, and players couldn't even Pass to
get blue tokens to void the Knip first.
Also, if there is no Escape action, then if somebody moves to DH
when *nobody* has any silver tokens, then there is no escape: because
nobody can sidestep, or move to an Interchange with five lines, or pass
through five interchanges on the move. So the Escape action is doubly
necessary.

Jonathan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/l-nomic-d
Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com