Subject: MN: I Regret To Announce...

From: Dunx <dunx@d...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 00:21:35 +0100

Friends:

You may have all seen this coming as the level of my play has
steadily deteriorated over the last few weeks, but I am going
to have to go Inactive for an indefinite amount of time, at
least over the rest of the Northern summer.

Since I don't know how long I will be out of circulation, I shall
have to resign from all the Games I am currently playing in.

Following on from this extended bout of Inactivity, there is a
need to find another Speaker. I am happy enough to continue in
this capacity for another Week (or two at a push) but the sooner
the reins are handed over the better, I would say. There is nothing
in the Rules to forbid an Inactive Speaker, but it seems a somewhat
strange situation to be in.

The actual handover should not be too traumatic - there is no
need to change the Speaker email address, for instance, since it
is an entirely separate POP account from my own email. Similarly,
the management of the eGroups lists is now assigned to the Speaker
rather than to any individual, and access to the Xoom web site is
easily handed off. I never got around to sorting out many of the
Perl-based tools I was threatening to implement, so there is little
enough to worry about there.

The only bit of fiddliness is the Voting Booth - I've updated the
CGI script include award nominations (since 830 passed) but actual
updates to the Proposal list an so on will need an extra bit of code
to enable access without requiring FTP access. Separate FTP accounts
are not in my gift, and I'm unwilling to hand over the FTP password
even to such trusted individuals as yourselves. If the voting booth
dies or goes into abeyance, then so be it.

I would commend to the next Speaker Snow's VoteMachine, which is a
very useful tool that I never really got round to using. I intention
is that the messages sent by the booth to the Speaker can be used as
input to this modern marvel.

In any case, it has been a pleasure to have Spoken for you despite my
occasional complaints. I can only apologise for the suddenness of my
departure, and express my awe at appreciation at the constant flashes
of creative brilliance in Proposals and aggressive play which it has
been my privilege to have witnessed.

I shall return.

--
Dunx
Ceci n'est pas un .sig

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 13:03:41 -0700

Sorry to have left this bombshell unreplied-to for so long... A busy
week.

> least over the rest of the Northern summer.

I hadn't seen it coming at all, really, just putting down your
intermittent (but no less exceptional) playing performance to, as with
myself, a heavy workload and nice weather. Sorry to hear things are
drastic enough to warrant a dropping of Speakership; I trust the rest
of your free time isn't being similarly curtailed.

> need to find another Speaker.

Indeed. I would, of course, reclaim the reins myself, but can't really
give it the time it needs; work and sunshine aside, my Internet access
is incredibly limited these days, and it'd be ludicrously awkward
trying to keep everything up to date. Heigh ho.

Maybe we could operate on "limited Speakership" for a while, if nobody
had the time to dedicate themselves fully to the job - simply reduce
the Speaker's job to something as vague as "changing the ruleset if
we've generally decided that something's broken or dubious". Hmm. Such
might not be a terribly bad way to run the Nomic, really. Maybe worth
trying to see how it goes.

> occasional complaints.

And a pleasure to have been Spoken at, and on behalf of. You seem to
have fitted into the Mornington Nomic Speaker boots even more snugly
than myself, and you'll be sadly missed, in Speaking, Proposing and
Playing.

> I shall return.

We shall await.

Kevan

--
kevan@d...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove

---

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 07:45:07 +0200

Kevan wrote:
:
: Maybe we could operate on "limited Speakership" for a while, if nobody
: had the time to dedicate themselves fully to the job - simply reduce
: the Speaker's job to something as vague as "changing the ruleset if
: we've generally decided that something's broken or dubious". Hmm. Such
: might not be a terribly bad way to run the Nomic, really. Maybe worth
: trying to see how it goes.
:

And we just killed the Frozen/Fluid thing. Well, we can just pretend it's
still there.

Ole