Subject: RE: MN Discussion: Theme

From: "Wayper, Paul" <WayperP@p...>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 12:47:52 +1000

On Tuesday, May 16, 2000 12:08 PM, riffraff@n...
[SMTP:riffraff@n...] wrote:
> The main problem I see with Mornington Nomic, is that we're operating
> with
> two seperate themes: a Real Rules version of Traditional MC (Blocks,
> Straddles, Manoeuvers, Knip, Shunts, etc.), and also a sort of MC
> Role-Playing (Pigeons, Overcoats, Busking, Station Fires, Streaking,
> etc.).

Astute. I agree with your reasoning here. It's the Role-playing, as a
whole, which seems to be outside my usual 'definition' of playing Mornington
Crescent. Obviously, therefore, I would be more in favour of discarding the
Role-playing stuff and keeping the Traditional stuff.

> they're inoffensive enough. I mean, Zone Passes? Fine. Hard Hats...
> okay. But Vacuum Cleaners?)

Pianos?

In some ways I think this could spawn the schism I was talking about before.
In a way I would like to inculcate both variants into a common structure -
have the Volume 1 rules which deal with the mechanics of entering a move,
how it's processed, and so forth, Volume 2, which is Traditional MC, and
Volume 3, which is Role-playing. Volumes 2 and 3 both rely on Volume 1.

However, the other way to do it is to say that the Role-playing side of it
is more suited to a free-form game where people are less constrained by
actual rules when they write their moves. At the risk of being divisive I
would say to those people: There are now more MC servers than ever. Play
there.

So, Riff, you were right. :-)

Paul Wayper -- DPI IS&S ITO Computer Systems Officer
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c) 1998-9 PJW

---

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 14:13:35 +0200

Paul wrote:
: 
: In some ways I think this could spawn the schism I was talking about before.
: In a way I would like to inculcate both variants into a common structure -
: have the Volume 1 rules which deal with the mechanics of entering a move,
: how it's processed, and so forth, Volume 2, which is Traditional MC, and
: Volume 3, which is Role-playing. Volumes 2 and 3 both rely on Volume 1.

My view is more like:

1. CAMREC, which holds the Boardgame elements,
and
2. IMCS, which holds CAMREC plus the Roleplaying elements.

Then each Game would be labelled CAMREC-Style or IMCS-Style.

: 
: However, the other way to do it is to say that the Role-playing side of it
: is more suited to a free-form game where people are less constrained by
: actual rules when they write their moves. At the risk of being divisive I
: would say to those people: There are now more MC servers than ever. Play
: there.

Well, if you have a pointer or two ready, I would like to see what it is like... But I'll probably stay here, anyways.

Ole