Subject: MN: Year 3 Week 19 Proposals

From: "MN Speaker" <speaker@d...>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:37:56 +0100

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNINGTON NOMIC

Proposals for Voting on in Week Nineteen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 871 - Peak-A-Boo [Amendment]

In
Rule 1.13.6 - Line Segments with Restricted Opening,
change:

Peak Hours shall be described as Mon to Sat 0800 to 2000 inclusive.

to:

Peak Hours shall be described as Mon to Fri 0700 to 1000 inclusive and
1500 to 1800 inclusive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 872 - Jespersen, Alaric Jespersen... [Enactment]

I propose:
Rule 1.16.x - Jespersen, Alaric Jespersen...

If a Player believes that another Player has performed an Action which,
though in accordance with the Rules being used for that Game, is too
powerful for its cost and duration, and if no more than three other
Turns have been made since, e may claim that the said Action is a
Jespersen Manoeuvre. This is done by posting a message to the relevant
Game Lounge, detailing the effects of the Manoeuvre.

When a Jespersen Manoeuvre has been announced, the Speaker appoints a
Judge, who (within 5 days) must decide if the statement "<Action> is a
Jespersen Manoeuvre" is TRUE or FALSE. If the Judge finds the Statement
TRUE, any adopted Proposal to remedy the Rule containing the said Action
gains its Proposer 10 Kudos in addition to the usual gain. This bonus
can only be earned once for each Jespersen Manoeuvre.

{Since the Jespersened Action _is_ within the Rules, it would not be
entirely fair to stop it.}

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 873 - A Token Effort [Muliple]

This proposal consists of 3 new Rules and a new Section, as well as an
Action Table entry.

Rule 1.4.x - Personality

Certain Possessions may possess the "Personal" attribute. Such
Possessions contain the prefix "<Player>'s" (or "<Player>', if
that is correct). In some cases, the postfix (<Player>) can be
used instead.

Rule 1.4.x - Corner & Side

A Player at Farringdon may perform the Action of "[Corner & Side]".
This creates a Personal Token Box, a Small Possession, in eir
Luggage Rack.
All Tokens stacked at a Player's Home Station at the beginning of
eir Turn become Personal Tokens, if eir Personal Token Box exists.

Rule 1.4.x - Personal Tokens
Personal Tokens are like other Tokens, except for their limited
stackability and collectability.

No Token can be stacked on top of a Personal Token, except other
Personal Tokens.

All Personal Tokens held by a Player without the corresponding
Personal Token Box, disintegrate at the end of the Player's Turn.

All a resigning Player's Personal Tokens become ordinary Tokens.

Personal Tokens have their own lines (one per Personal Token Box)
in the GSD table.

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
SECTION 2.x - The Corner & Side Option
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Rule 2.x.1 - The Corner & Side Option

In the Corner & Side Option, each Player begins the game with a Personal
Token Box in addition to the usual initial Possessions and Tokens.

Insert in Action Table:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain FR
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Corner & Side] Post 1.4.x 8Br

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 874 - Death and Taxes [Enactment]

Rule 1.4.x - Death and Taxes

Any Player may perform the Action of "[Poll Tax]".
This Action eliminates one Token of each colour from each Player.
If a Player has no Tokens of a colour, no Tokens of that colour
are taken from em.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain FR
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Poll Tax] Post 1.4.x 2 Go

{
A cost of one Token would essentially be a cost of none, since that one
Token would be eliminated anyway.

}
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 875 - Like Wasps, Bees and Such [Enactment]

I propose this:
Rule 1.10.x - Like Wasps, Bees and Such

A Player may perform the post-Move Action of "[Mimicking <Player>]",
provided that "<Player>" is another Player (known as the Mimickee)
with the same LV and location as the Actioning Player (known as
the Mimicker).

For one Round, each time the Mimickee gains a Token, the Mimicker
gains an identical Token.

No Player can be the Mimickee of two Mimickers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Mimicking <Player>] # Post 1.10.x -3 Re

==============================================================================
The following have been reproposed from Week 18.
==============================================================================

Reproposal 876 - Rereordering the deck [Mulitple]

Create a new
Rule 1.1.x - Order of Play

When one or more Players join a game the Speaker shall determine the Order
of Play by adding each Player to the Game such that the number of times a
Player follows the same Player across all Games is minimised. Within the
above contraint the Order of Play should be random.

This Rule takes precedence over Rule 1.1.7.

In
Rule 1.1.2 - A New Game

replace the paragraph:

When a Game has at least three Players (including the Drone), the Order
of Play is determined at random by the Speaker and announced to the
list. That Game then commences.

with:

When a Game has at least three Players (including the Drone), the Order
of Play is determined by the Speaker according to Rule 1.1.x and announced
to the list. That Game then commences.

In
Rule 1.1.8 - Joining In

replace the sentence:

When a new Player joins a Game already in progress, eir position in the
Playing Order shall be determined by random selection.

with the paragraph:

When a new Player joins a Game already in progress, the Speaker shall
determine er position in the Playing Order according to Rule 1.1.x.

{
Attempting to reduce situations of the form:

Rushton moves in 3 Games simultaniously which means it is Garden's turn
in those 3 Games (thus putting pressure on Garden).
}

MN Speaker
-Lava lamp connoisseur

---

From: "MN Speaker" <speaker@d...>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 18:24:05 +0100

The following have been reproposed from Week 18 for voting in Week 19.
========================================================================

Reproposal 877 - Linear C [Multiple]

This Proposal is in 12 parts, one of which is an Action Table entry.

1. Create a Section 1.x:

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
SECTION 1.x - Line States
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

2. Create a new Rule 1.x.0, with this wording:

Rule 1.x.0 - Line States
Each line has a number of possible States.
If a Line is in no other State, it is in its Normal State.
A Player may put a Line in a given State by performing the Action
"[<Line>: <State>]". Unless otherwise noted, eir Piece must be situated at a
Station which is on the said Line.

All Lines and Line Segments have an initial Speed Limit of 10.

3. Create a new Rule 1.x.1, with this wording:

Rule 1.x.1 - Back To Normal
A Player may put a Line in its Normal State by performing the post-Move Action
"[<Line>: Normal]". This Action does not change the Line's Speed Limit.

4. Create a new Rule 1.x.2, with this wording:

Rule 1.x.2 - And Where Might YOU Be Going?
A Player may perform the post-Move Action "[<Line>: One Way: <direction>]" to
put the mentioned Line in a One Way State, with the mentioned direction as the
prescribed direction.

While a Line is in a One Way State, a Move which involves traversing
any Line Segment of the said Line (or a Line
Segment which touches the said Line) in the opposite direction of the
prescribed direction shall be considered Invalid.

For the purpose of this Rule, the following directions (and their opposites)
are recognized:

Bakerloo N-S: Harrow & Wealdstone to Elephant & Castle
Central E-W: Epping and Woodford to Ealing Broadway and West Ruislip
Circle Clockwise (opposite direction named Anti-Clockwise)
District E-W: Upminster and Edgware Road to Wimbledon, Richmond,
Ealing Broadway and Kensington Olympia
East London N-S: Shoreditch to New Cross Gate and New Cross
Hamm & City E-W: Barking to Hammersmith
Jubilee N-S: Stanmore to Charing Cross and Stratford
Metropolitan E-W: Aldgate to Uxbridge, Amersham, Chesham and Watford
Northern N-S: High Barnet, Mill Hill East and Edgware to Morden
Piccadilly E-W: Cockfosters to Uxbridge and Heathrow 123
(Heathrow 4 if W-E)
Victoria N-S: Walthamstow Central to Brixton
Water & City N-S: Bank to Waterloo
DLR E-W: Beckton and Island Gardens to Stratford, Bank and
Tower Gateway

For two Line Segments to touch, every Station on one Line Segment
must also lie on the other, and vice versa.

5. Create a new Rule 1.x.3, with this wording:

Rule 1.x.3 - Opposites Attract, They Say
A Player may perform the post-Move Action "[<Line>:Electrified]" to
put the mentioned Line in an Electrified State.

While a Line is in an Electrified State, all Stations on the said Line
are considered Blocked if the Moving Player is carrying any
Metallic Tokens at the start of eir Movement Phase.

6. Reword Rule 1.8.15, and move it to the new Section 1.x as Rule 1.x.4:

Rule 1.x.4 - Not So Fast There!

A Player may perform the pre-Move Action "[<Line>: Speed Limit: <limit>]"
to put such a Limit in effect.

If a Line has a Speed Limit, no Player with a LV of more than <limit> may
Move through any part of the said Line, unless eir Charge is greater than
+100% or less than -100%, in which cases eir LV may have a value of up to
twice the Limit.

The cost of performing this Action is an amount of Blue Tokens equal to
the difference between the previous Speed Limit and the new Speed Limit.

7. Reword Rule 1.9.4, and move it to the new Section 1.x as Rule 1.x.5:

Rule 1.x.5 - Power Failure!

During eir Turn, a Player may perform the post-Move action "[<Line>:Power
Failure!]", where "<Line>" is the Line Code of the Actioning
Player's most recent Move. When this is performed, the specified Line
suffers a Power Failure for one Round.

If a Line has had a Power Failure:-

* Any Piece Moves which start or end at a Station on that Line,
or which pass through a Station on that Line, are deemed to
be Invalid, with the exception of "Walking" Actions.

* No Player situated at a Station on that Line may perform a
Straddle.

8. Reword Rule 1.9.7, and move it to the new Section 1.x as Rule 1.x.6:

Rule 1.x.6 - Soap on the Tracks.

During eir Turn, any Player may perform the post-Move action
"[<Line> Soaped]", where "<Line>" is the Line Code of the Actioning
Player's most recent Move. When this is performed, the specified
Line is Soaped for one Round.

If a Line is Soaped:-

* Any Shunting on the Line causes the Shunting Player to skid along
with the Shunted Player, both ending in the same place.

9.In
Rule 1.1.2 - A New Game,
change
* The Circle Line is in its Normal State.
to
* All Lines are in their Normal State.

10. In
Rule 1.4.33 - Zzzzzzzzzzap!,
change
If the Circle Line is in an Electrified State, all Electric Possessions
are Off.
to
If a Line is in an Electrified State, all Electric Possessions carried
by Players whose Pieces are on the said Line, are Off.

11. Repeal Rule 1.8.5.

12. Replace:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain FR
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Circle Line: Normal] Post 1.8.5 20 2Bu
[Circle Line: (Anti)Clockwise] Post 1.8.5 20 2Bu,1Si
[Circle Line: Electrified] Post 1.8.5 20 2Re,2Bu,1Si
[Power Failure! <Line>] Post 1.9.4 20 3Re (L0)
[Power Restored <Line>] Post 1.9.4 (L0)
[Soap on (<Line>)] Pre 1.9.7 2Bu (L0)
[Speed Limit on <Line>: <x>] Pre 1.8.15 none varies

with:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action ('#' if Singular) Phase Rule Dur Cost Gain FR
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[<Line>: Normal] Post 1.x.1 20 2Bu (L0)
[<Line>: One Way: <direction>] Post 1.x.2 20 2Bu,1Si (L0)
[<Line>: Electrified] Post 1.x.3 20 2Re,2Bu,1Si (L0)
[<Line>: Power Failure!] Post 1.x.5 20 3Re (L0)
[<Line> Soaped] Pre 1.x.6 2Bu (L0)
[<Line>: Speed Limit: <x>] Pre 1.x.4 none varies (L0)

{
Power Restored is not necessary, as Power Failure! is a one round thing.
}

Reproposal 878 - Ostrich-Stretching Time [Multiple]

{ A bit of tweaking to the Ostrich rules, since they're a shade too
flawed to be playable at the moment, and it'd be nice to try a game
of it at some point (maybe in the recently-vacated Rushton Lounge?). }

1. Stunt the Ostrich [Amendment]

In Rule 4.3.2 (Ostrich Actions), reword the last paragraph from:-

If the Ostrich ever shares a Station and Line with another Player, the
Ostrich may play the Action of "[Pecking <Player>]". The Player is
immediately moved to a Wild Station in another Quadrant, eir LV is
reduced to zero, and the Player holding the Ostrich Stick may take one
Token or Possession from the Pecked Player. Only the Ostrich may Peck,
and no Rule preventing aggressive Actions or expenditure of Tokens (red
or otherwise)may prevent a Peck.

to:-

If the Ostrich shares a Station and Line with another Player, it may
perform the Action of "[Pecking <Player>]", where Player is that Player.
The Pecked Player loses a single Edible Possession (if e has any) of the
Ostrich Stick holder's choice, has eir LV halved (rounding up), and may
not perform the Action "[Pouncing Ostrich]" during eir next Turn.

{ Rendering it a bit more playable; the current wording will get confused
if the Game lacks the necessary Wild Station, and the idea of a Pecked
Player losing a Possession to the Ostrich Stick Holder seems rather
unfair and bizarre. }

Also replace the "x.x.x" references, in that Rule, with "4.3.2", and
halve the cost of Pecking to one Red Token.

2. Suited and Booted [Enactment, 4.3]

A "Kneecaps" Possession exists, purchaseable for four Bronze Tokens from
any Station which sells Emporia items (see Rule 1.4.18). Kneecaps are
Garments.

A Player wearing Kneecaps may not be Pecked by the Ostrich.

{ I admit I never caught any of the Hunt the Ostrich games on ISIHAC; I
trust that kitting up for Ostrich-hunting was more or less the point of
Kneecaps? }

3. I Think Not [Enactment, 4.3]

The Ostrich may not Wear Garments, except for Hats.

{ Well. }

Reproposal 879 - Stay on Target... [Multiple]

1. Summing Up [Amendment]

Reword the second paragraph of Rule 1.10.0 (Target Practice) from:-

Any Action which targets another Player in this manner may be performed
only (1) if the Actioning Player shares a Station and Line with the
Target Player at the end of the Actioning Player's Move, and
(2) as the first Post-Move Action (thus, only one may be performed per
Turn), unless explicitly specified otherwise in the Rule defining that
Action.

to:-

Each of these Actions may only be performed if the Actioning Player
shares a Station and Line with the Targetted Player, and if it is
performed as the first Post-Move Action of a Turn (unless otherwise
specified).

2. Always Try To Do Things In Chronological Order [Amendment]

To the end of Rule 1.10.2 (Line 'Em Up, Knock 'Em Down), add "This Action
may only be performed as the *second* Post-Move Action of a Turn."

3. Clampdown [Multiple]

Move all the Clamp Rules from Section 1.10 to Section 1.4 (Tokens and
Possessions).

{ It feels more intuitive to be able to Clamp at whim, and as things
stand the Clamp-removal Actions are rather out-of-place. It seems
foolish to move them elsewhere by themselves, and personally I always
look in the Possessions section for Clamps anyway.

Heavy multi-clamping is a bit of an issue, but - as I've demonstrated
in the past - detonating a Suspect Package beneath yourself is a cheap
way to get rid of them all and to inconvenience the Clamper (more so
in that he's just spent a load of Tokens Clamping you). }

Reproposal 880 - Millennial Tension [Multiple]

1. Let's go to the Dome, Simone [Enactment]

A Player may perform the Action "[Visiting Millennium Dome]" for free,
if e is situated at North Greenwich and if the date in real life is
either the 31st of December 1999 or the 1st of January 2000. Upon
performing this Action, e gains two thousand Gold Tokens.

This Rule will repeal itself on the second of January 2000.

{ Should be entertaining. It was going to be "Upon performing this Action,
e Wins the Game.", but the idea of non-MC victories in what may well be
proper-MC games seems wrong. Two thousand Golds should probably help a
bit, anyway, I expect... }

2. Exorcism [Amendment]

In Rule 1.11.6 (If Your Mansion House Needs Haunting), remove "The
Millennium Dome" from the list of Ghost Stations.

{ North Greenwich is actually the Station to use to get there, according
to the London Transport site... }

Reproposal 881 - Fare's Fair [Amendment]

Reduce the cost of the "[Visiting <Place>]" Action to four Bronze Tokens.

{ Six is a bit steep, particularly when it's so easy for other Players to
delay the train. The rarity of this Action's usage suggests that
something needs changing, and I'm hesitant to repeal it entirely. }

Reproposal 882 - Mend the Gap [Amendment]

Reword Rule 1.8.7 (Gapminding) to:-

A Player may perform the Action "[Mind the Gap]" or the Action "[Ignore
the Gap]", to put the Game in and out of a "Gapminding" State,
respectively. While such a State is in effect, the "[Line Change]"
Action may not be performed.

This State is indicated in Disruptions by the string "Gapminding"

{ The current wording blathers on about the sequence of Mind and Ignore
Actions, which is rather obsolete now that we've got the Disruptions
box. Rewording the effect of the thing to "no Line Changing" is
probably a bit simpler, too, unless I've overlooked something horrible. }

MN Speaker
-A single handed attempt to ruin a perfectly good planet.

---

From: "Snow" <snowl@s...>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 19:26:52 +0100

> Peak Hours shall be described as Mon to Fri 0700 to 1000 inclusive and

Why? The current times fit LU's peak hours services better than these.

> any adopted Proposal to remedy the Rule containing the said Action

If an Action needs changing then just make a Proposal, if it's a good one you'll get lots of Kudos
anyway. If more Kudos is required increase the CAMREC Award.

> entirely fair to stop it.}

If it's worth making a fuss about then surely it should be worth stopping. I can't see the point of
this unless it's actually going to stop the Action.

> Proposal 873 - A Token Effort [Muliple]

Still don't understand what this is for.

A much more suitable cost.

> Token would be eliminated anyway.

Except that you need 2 golds rather than 1 (not that I disapprove).

Snow
-Androgynous person watcher.