Subject: MN-C: Re: Sv: Sv: Bock

From: "Ole Andersen" <palnatoke@g...>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 15:30:31 +0200

Kevan wrote:
:
:I think it'd be fairly easy to lock the Game; all you have to do is declare
a Bock when you're the only person with Tokens of the Bock colour.

Not quite. 6 Blue can get you out, too. And, yes, that's not cheap.

With LV and Line Changing being restricted, it's going to be quite tricky
for anyone else to get the relevant Tokens; they'd simply have to rely on
passing through the right Interchanges without changing Line or Velocity, or
(boringly) just keep Passing until they get the right ones.

This more or less goes for everybody, including the Bocker.

:
:Green Bock is particularly vicious, of course, because the only ways to
gain Green Tokens are through the performing of Actions (Recycling, of
course, plus a couple of random others) and passing for one Green per Turn
(permitting, unhelpfully, one Action per Turn, unless you save up for the
heady excesses of a Line Change, an LV increase and a Block, or somesuch).

Why deny it? I _did_ look at the GSD before Bocking. And Green and Gold were
the hardest colours. In fact, any other colour of Bock could probably have
lasted longer. If we hadn't allowed one Green for Passing, we would have
been stuck, methinks.

:
:Freeming's ridiculously cheap, also. We probably need to look at the whole
Action-cost business in depth, maybe coming up with some hesitant formulae
on the subject (considering how early in the Game it should be possible to
perform the Action, whether it should be cheaper to start than finish, if
it's consistent with the colour themes, et cetera).
:

Any idea which kinds of input we would need for such formulae?
And, while we are at it, which MC-heroes to name them after?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/l-nomic-c
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications

---

From: kevan@d...
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 07:58:31 -0000

> This more or less goes for everybody, including the Bocker.

Oh, indeed, but the Bocker has the advantage of being able to choose the Bock colour in the first place.

>> Freeming's ridiculously cheap, also. We probably need to look at the whole
>> on the subject

I think it's probably a matter of agreeing on a few "correctly costed" Actions and costing the others from that (Stationary Shunting being cheaper than Shunting because of its lesser effect, Fires being more expensive than Blocks because they have a lasting effect, and so forth), analysing and discussing new Actions as they come along. Possibly some guidelines for Action costs would be welcome (since quite a few of those Proposed have seemed a little slapdash and random), but nothing too strict.

> And, while we are at it, which MC-heroes to name them after?

I'm not suggesting we establish any hard-and-fast put-in-the-ruleset guidelines; just that we make a few informal agreements and exchange some ideas of how much an Action should cost. I suppose some sort of Web page summing up our conclusions might be welcome, but it doesn't really seem like something for the ruleset.

Kevan

--
kevan@d...
http://members.xoom.com/asabove