Subject: MN: Game 8 Game State Document

From: "Wayper, Paul" <WayperP@p...>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 15:18:04 +1000

+---------+--------------------------------+----+-------------------+ 
| Player | Home | LV | Tokens | 
| | | | Bk Bu Br Go Re Si | 
+---------+--------------------------------+----+-------------------+ 
| dave | East Putney | 3 | 3 0 1 0 2 0 | 
| Grimace | Bethnal Green | 3 | 2 0 0 1 3 0 | 
| PaulWay | Latimer Road | 3 | 3 0 1 1 2 0 | 
| Dunx | Preston Road | 0 | 2 0 2 0 2 0 | 
|*Drone | | 0 | 2 0 2 0 2 0 | 
| Julie | Blackhorse Road | 0 | 2 0 1 0 2 0 | 
| Kevan | Royal Victoria | 0 | 2 0 1 0 2 0 | 
+---------+--------------------------------+----+-------------------+ 
+---------------++--------------------------------++----------------+ 
| Bridges: Down || WILD STATIONS || Time: Mon 0700 | 
+---------------+| Neasden |+----------------+ 
+---------------+| |+----------------+ 
| Out of Knip || || Circle: <-> | 
+---------------++--------------------------------++----------------+ 
+---------------+---------------------------------------------------+ 
| dave | Zone 2 Pass, Hat (O) |
| PaulWay | Zone 2 Pass | 
| Julie | Zone 3 Pass, Hat (A) | 
| Kevan | Zone 3 Pass | 
| Grimace | Zone 2 Pass, Hat (O) | 
+---------------+---------------------------------------------------+ 

dave : [Home: East Putney] East Putney (DS) 
Grimace : [Home: Bethnal Green] Bethnal Green (CN) 
PaulWay : [Home: Latimer Road] Latimer Road (HC) 
[Purchasing Zone 2 Card] 
Dunx : [Home: Preston Road] Preston Road (MP) 
Julie : [Home: Blackhorse Road] [Purchasing Zone 3 Pass] 
Blackhorse Road (VC) [Collecting Hat (A to Z)]
Kevan : [Home: Royal Victoria] [Purchasing Zone 3 Pass]
Royal Victoria (DL)
dave : [LV+3] [Purchasing Zone 2 Pass] Wimbledon
[Collecting Hat (Overground)] [Neasden Wild]
Grimace : [LV+3] Waterloo (NT; via CN, WC) [Purchasing Zone 2 Pass]
[Collecting Hat (Overground)] [Smoking Cigar]
PaulWay : [LV+3] Hammersmith (HC) [Smoking Cigar] 

{ Comment:

+1 Go - smoking cigar. Congratulations, dave (and wife)!
+1 Br - Zone 2 pass.
+1 Bl - Same Line

Game time advanced.

}

Paul Wayper -- DPI ITS Computer Systems Officer
_____________________________________________________________________
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
If it doesn't seem to work, contact me and I'll fix it. (c) 1998 PJW

---

From: kenningd@w... (L'homme a tete de choux)
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 10:29:43 +0100

>Sorry, Dave. I didn't know there was a convention, or a rule, which
>said that the first move in a game would have no other actions than the
>Home.

Well, the previous wording of the relevant rule (reference...) said as much. I
think the new wording is an improvement.

As far as I can remember, the only point to denying actions on the first move
was to stop anyone performing any actions before everyone had eir piece on the
board. To be honest, I no longer consider this to be necessary -- there are
advantages and disadvantages to going first, and likewise to going last, so it
all balances out.

>But I look at it this way. There are always little tricks that separate
>the new players from the old ones - things that become habits, things
>that make experience really worth something.

Absolutely right. Experience should count for something, but I wonder if
perhaps we ought to introduce a handicapping system?

>I apologise that my move was unsporting considering your initial
>position.

Oh, not at all. I took the trouble to gen up on rules that had changed in my
absence, so I should have spotted that minor change.

dave