Subject: MN: Game 8 commences

From: Kevan Davis <c94kd@d...>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 13:58:01 +0100 (BST)

Now that multi-game playing is legal, and that we've got a new Player, I
thought I'd start a new Game - another vanilla-rules effort, with the
following three Players already:-

1. Drone
2. Julie
3. Kevan

Kevan

--
kdavis@i... - http://www.innotts.co.uk/~elusive/kevan - UIN: 5998366
"The word is 'pedantry'."
-- Jonathan Creek

---

From: kenningd@w... (L'homme a tete de choux)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 14:08:49 +0100

>following three Players already:-

Please put me down for Game 8 as well. I'll nominate East Putney as my home
station.

dave
xxx

---

From: Graeme Jefferis <Graeme.Jefferis@f...>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 14:19:32 +0100

>Please put me down for Game 8 as well. I'll nominate East Putney as my
home

Me as well please. Home station Bethnal Green.

-Graeme.

---

From: "Dunx (Duncan Ellis)" <DELLIS@U...>
Date: 07 Jul 98 15:02:10 +0100

I'd like to join in as well, please. 

Preston Road as Home, I think. 

Hmm. I know we've had a recent attempt to restructure Home Station thing, 
but it does seem a bit daft that we have all these mailing list 
declarations, and we all move to our home stations as our first moves, 
*and* there is a large section of the GSD devoted to recording this 
information. 

I was wondering if we could dispense with the GSD section, and just take 
a Player's first move of the game as their Home Station declaration. For 
the vast majority of Players in a Game, this information will still be at 
the top of the GSD (the exception being those Players who join during a 
Game). 

If we got rid of the Home Station section in the token table, we could 
have more token types or other player/piece attributes. 

And welcome, Julie. 

-- 
Dunx 
IRL: Duncan Ellis, Senior Software Engineer, Business Modelers, Oracle 
<I work for Oracle, I don't speak for them>

---

From: kenningd@w... (L'homme a tete de choux)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 15:48:32 +0100

>a Player's first move of the game as their Home Station declaration.

I suppose we could also dispense with the declaring home stations until you
actually play the first move, which would balance out the advantages of going
first (the carte blanche aspect) with a new advantage of going last (being able
to choose home tactically).

>the top of the GSD (the exception being those Players who join during a 

That could be a problem, but probably solved by indicating a player's first
move with an asterisk by eir name, just to make it stand out amid the other
moves.

>have more token types or other player/piece attributes. 

I have to say I've considered proposing new token types and been put off at
least in part by the lack of space in the GSD. And it's true that the space
could be used (better?) for information such as a player's spoon status, drone
keepering, and whatever else (though it probably wouldn't leave enough space to
allow for posessions to be listed there)

Interesting thoughts, Dunx.

>And welcome, Julie. 

Likewise. I must say it has troubled me in the past that mornington nomic seems
to be an exclusively male pursuit.

dave
xxx

---

From: Graeme Jefferis <Graeme.Jefferis@f...>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 17:36:18 +0100

> >I was wondering if we could dispense with the GSD !
>section, and just take a Player's first move of the
>game as their Home Station declaration.

Probably a good idea; although I like the reference 
in the Table I'm sure I could live without it.

>I suppose we could also dispense with the
>declaring home stations until you actually play the 
>first move, 

Excellent idea.

>That could be a problem, but probably solved by 
>indicating a player's first move with an asterisk 
>by eir name, just to make it stand out amid the 
>other moves.

Perhaps, although still not something I'd really 
notice easily. Aligning the [Home: Somewhere] 
action to the far-right-hand side of the GSD 
would be nice if it were practicable?

>I have to say I've considered proposing new 
>token types and been put off at least in part by 
>the lack of space in the GSD. And it's true that the 
>space could be used (better?) for information 
>such as a player's spoon status, drone keepering, 
>and whatever else (though it probably wouldn't 
>leave enough space to allow for posessions to be 
>listed there)

States such as spoon are mainly being merged into
possession - such as Spoon Clamp, Drone Stick, and 
things, although I can't recall offhand how many of 
these have passed. The intention being that the 
possessions list details what 'states' a player is in
without having to probe deep into the play record
nor clog up the Table too much.

>>And welcome, Julie. 

Indeed, welcome.

-Graeme. 
Btw, if this mail doesn't get through in one piece
I'll stop sending from work altogether :)