Subject: MN: Year 2, Week 32: Proposals

From: Kevan Davis <kdavis@i...>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 15:26:16 +0000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNINGTON NOMIC

Proposals for Voting on in Week Thirty-Two
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 552 - Random Factor [Enactment]

{ Comments : Way back when I first proposed the Courier Rule, I bewailed
that there was no fair way to select Stations at random. In
light of recent enlightenments, the following is an amendment
to Couriering that permits Players to either specify the two
Stations, or to have them selected randomly. I was just going
to replace it with the latter, but I think it's probably
better to have both until we decide which is best. I know I'm
a little hesitant to put *too* much of a random element in
the game, at the expense of skill. }

1. The Only Way to Die [Enactment]

Whenever a Rule calls for a die-roll to be made, the person required to
make the roll shall do so using the dice server at
http://www.pbm.com/dice, with results being sent to the Game Lounge in
which the die-roll is required.

2. Pick an Address, any Address [Amendment]

Replace everything from "If neither Pick-Up..." in Rule 1.11.2 (Three-Point
Courier) with:-

If neither Pick-Up nor Destination Station is defined, any Player
(except the Drone) may perform a "[Courier Call (Fixed)]" or "[Courier
Call (Random)]" Action.

In the first case, e may select a Pick-Up Station and Destination
Station (both of which must be outside of Zone 1, in different
Quadrants, on different Lines, and neither of which may be a Home
Station or in the same Quadrant as the Actioning Player) and note these
on the Game State Document.

In the latter case, e should roll two 295-sided dice after submitting
eir Turn. The next Player to take a Turn should reference these
die-rolls with the table of Venbacker numbers, to determine the Pick-Up
Station (first roll) and Destination Station (second roll), which
should then be added to the GSD.

{ Comments : A table of Venbacker Numbers - a list of Stations, each with
a unique number from 1 to 295, shall be put up on the Web
page if this Proposal passes. }

3. Delivered in Half an Hour or your Pizza is Free [Amendment]

Replace the "[Courier Call]" Action with "[Courier Call (Fixed)]", and
add a new "[Courier Call (Random)]" Action, identical but for having a
zero-Token cost.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 553 - The Hills Are Dead [Amendment]

Remove the second sentences of both paragraphs of Rule 1.6.2 (The Slippery
Slope).

{ Comments : Er, there's no such thing as a High Hill Station, after all. }

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 554 - Carelessness Begins At Home [Amendment]

In Rule 1.12.2 (Declaring a Home Station), replace "The following sets of
Stations may not be used as Home Stations:" with "The following sets of
Stations may not be chosen as Home Stations:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 555 - Current Account [Enactment]

{ Comment: 
It's been suggested before, but having the Currents in with the Ruleset 
would simplify things. 
Note that any change to the Map would require these to be recalculated. 
Not impossible, but time consuming. 
} 

The Station Currents for the Map defined in Rule 1.17.1 are calculated to
be: 

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+ 
| Station Current | Station Current | 
+-----------------------------------+-----------------------------------+ 
| Acton Town . . . . . . . . . . 63 | Aldgate . . . . . . . . . . . .32 | 
| Aldgate East . . . . . . . . . 39 | All Saints . . . . . . . . . . 52 | 

| Alperton . . . . . . . . . . . 65 | Amersham . . . . . . . . . . .100 | 
| Angel . . . . . . . . . . . . .21 | Archway . . . . . . . . . . . .35 | 
| Arnos Grove . . . . . . . . . .52 | Arsenal . . . . . . . . . . . .38 | 
| Baker Street . . . . . . . . . 19 | Balham . . . . . . . . . . . . 49 | 
| Bank . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21 | Barbican . . . . . . . . . . . 16 | 
| Barking . . . . . . . . . . . .70 | Barkingside . . . . . . . . . .79 | 
| Barons Court . . . . . . . . . 41 | Bayswater . . . . . . . . . . .31 | 
| Beckton . . . . . . . . . . . .86 | Beckton Park . . . . . . . . . 77 | 
| Becontree . . . . . . . . . . .76 | Belsize Park . . . . . . . . . 28 | 
| Bermondsey . . . . . . . . . . 36 | Bethnal Green . . . . . . . . .40 | 
| Blackfriars . . . . . . . . . .16 | Blackhorse Road . . . . . . . .56 | 
| Blackwall . . . . . . . . . . .57 | Bond Street . . . . . . . . . .15 | 
| Borough . . . . . . . . . . . .29 | Boston Manor . . . . . . . . . 69 | 
| Bounds Green . . . . . . . . . 50 | Bow Church . . . . . . . . . . 52 | 
| Bow Road . . . . . . . . . . . 50 | Brent Cross . . . . . . . . . .37 | 
| Brixton . . . . . . . . . . . .44 | Bromley-by-Bow . . . . . . . . 56 | 
| Buckhurst Hill . . . . . . . . 79 | Burnt Oak . . . . . . . . . . .46 | 
| Caledonian Road . . . . . . . .32 | Camden Town . . . . . . . . . .22 | 
| Canada Water . . . . . . . . . 43 | Canary Wharf . . . . . . . . . 55 | 
| Canning Town . . . . . . . . . 62 | Cannon Street . . . . . . . . .18 | 
| Canons Park . . . . . . . . . .54 | Chalfont and Latimer . . . . . 91 | 
| Chalk Farm . . . . . . . . . . 26 | Chancery Lane . . . . . . . . .10 | 
| Charing Cross . . . . . . . . .12 | Chesham . . . . . . . . . . . .97 | 
| Chigwell . . . . . . . . . . . 80 | Chiswick Park . . . . . . . . .62 | 
| Chorleywood . . . . . . . . . .86 | Clapham Common . . . . . . . . 45 | 
| Clapham North . . . . . . . . .44 | Clapham South . . . . . . . . .47 | 
| Cockfosters . . . . . . . . . .58 | Colindale . . . . . . . . . . .44 | 
| Colliers Wood . . . . . . . . .54 | Covent Garden . . . . . . . . . 4 | 
| Crossharbour and London Arena .57 | Croxley . . . . . . . . . . . .85 | 
| Custom House . . . . . . . . . 70 | Cyprus . . . . . . . . . . . . 79 | 
| Dagenham East . . . . . . . . .83 | Dagenham Heathway . . . . . . .79 | 
| Debden . . . . . . . . . . . . 87 | Devons Road . . . . . . . . . .52 | 
| Dollis Hill . . . . . . . . . .41 | Ealing Broadway . . . . . . . .68 | 
| Ealing Common . . . . . . . . .62 | Earl's Court . . . . . . . . . 35 | 
| East Acton . . . . . . . . . . 47 | East Finchley . . . . . . . . .39 | 
| East Ham . . . . . . . . . . . 68 | East India . . . . . . . . . . 60 | 
| East Putney . . . . . . . . . .49 | Eastcote . . . . . . . . . . . 73 | 
| Edgware . . . . . . . . . . . .49 | Edgware Road . . . . . . . . . 26 | 
| Elephant and Castle . . . . . .32 | Elm Park . . . . . . . . . . . 86 | 
| Embankment . . . . . . . . . . 15 | Epping . . . . . . . . . . . . 93 | 
| Euston . . . . . . . . . . . . 14 | Euston Square . . . . . . . . .11 | 
| Fairlop . . . . . . . . . . . .80 | Farringdon . . . . . . . . . . 15 | 
| Finchley Central . . . . . . . 41 | Finchley Road . . . . . . . . .30 | 
| Finsbury Park . . . . . . . . .41 | Fulham Broadway . . . . . . . .42 | 
| Gallions Reach . . . . . . . . 81 | Gants Hill . . . . . . . . . . 75 | 
| Gloucester Road . . . . . . . .31 | Golders Green . . . . . . . . .35 | 
| Goldhawk Road . . . . . . . . .42 | Goodge Street . . . . . . . . . 4 | 
| Grange Hill . . . . . . . . . .82 | Great Portland Street . . . . .12 | 
| Green Park . . . . . . . . . . 16 | Greenford . . . . . . . . . . .71 | 
| Gunnersbury . . . . . . . . . .62 | Hainault . . . . . . . . . . . 81 | 
| Hammersmith . . . . . . . . . .43 | Hampstead . . . . . . . . . . .32 | 
| Hanger Lane . . . . . . . . . .65 | Harlesden . . . . . . . . . . .47 | 
| Harrow and Wealdstone . . . . .58 | Harrow-on-the-Hill . . . . . . 59 | 
| Hatton Cross . . . . . . . . . 77 | Heathrow Terminal 123 . . . . .81 | 

| Heathrow Terminal 4 . . . . . .82 | Hendon Central . . . . . . . . 41 | 
| Heron Quays . . . . . . . . . .56 | High Barnet . . . . . . . . . .51 | 
| High Street Kensington . . . . 31 | Highbury and Islington . . . . 34 | 
| Highgate . . . . . . . . . . . 37 | Hillingdon . . . . . . . . . . 83 | 
| Holborn . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 | Holland Park . . . . . . . . . 36 | 
| Holloway Road . . . . . . . . .35 | Hornchurch . . . . . . . . . . 88 | 
| Hounslow Central . . . . . . . 72 | Hounslow East . . . . . . . . .71 | 
| Hounslow West . . . . . . . . .74 | Hyde Park Corner . . . . . . . 19 | 
| Ickenham . . . . . . . . . . . 81 | Island Gardens . . . . . . . . 59 | 
| Kennington . . . . . . . . . . 39 | Kensal Green . . . . . . . . . 45 | 
| Kensington (Olympia) . . . . . 35 | Kentish Town . . . . . . . . . 27 | 
| Kenton . . . . . . . . . . . . 55 | Kew Gardens . . . . . . . . . .65 | 
| Kilburn . . . . . . . . . . . .36 | Kilburn Park . . . . . . . . . 42 | 
| King's Cross St. Pancras . . . 15 | Kingsbury . . . . . . . . . . .49 | 
| Knightsbridge . . . . . . . . .21 | Ladbroke Grove . . . . . . . . 40 | 
| Lambeth North . . . . . . . . .29 | Lancaster Gate . . . . . . . . 22 | 
| Latimer Road . . . . . . . . . 41 | Leicester Square . . . . . . . .5 | 
| Leyton . . . . . . . . . . . . 64 | Leytonstone . . . . . . . . . .65 | 
| Limehouse . . . . . . . . . . .45 | Liverpool Street . . . . . . . 31 | 
| London Bridge . . . . . . . . .28 | Loughton . . . . . . . . . . . 84 | 
| Maida Vale . . . . . . . . . . 40 | Manor House . . . . . . . . . .45 | 
| Mansion House . . . . . . . . .17 | Marble Arch . . . . . . . . . .21 | 
| Marylebone . . . . . . . . . . 24 | Mile End . . . . . . . . . . . 48 | 
| Mill Hill East . . . . . . . . 46 | Monument . . . . . . . . . . . 24 | 
| Moor Park . . . . . . . . . . .81 | Moorgate . . . . . . . . . . . 23 | 
| Morden . . . . . . . . . . . . 58 | Mornington Crescent . . . . . .18 | 
| Mudchute . . . . . . . . . . . 58 | Neasden . . . . . . . . . . . .43 | 
| New Cross . . . . . . . . . . .51 | New Cross Gate . . . . . . . . 49 | 
| Newbury Park . . . . . . . . . 79 | North Acton . . . . . . . . . .52 | 
| North Ealing . . . . . . . . . 62 | North Greenwich . . . . . . . .60 | 
| North Harrow . . . . . . . . . 65 | North Wembley . . . . . . . . .49 | 
| Northfields . . . . . . . . . .67 | Northolt . . . . . . . . . . . 73 | 
| Northwick Park . . . . . . . . 55 | Northwood . . . . . . . . . . .77 | 
| Northwood Hills . . . . . . . .73 | Notting Hill Gate . . . . . . .30 | 
| Oakwood . . . . . . . . . . . .56 | Old Street . . . . . . . . . . 23 | 
| Osterley . . . . . . . . . . . 71 | Oval . . . . . . . . . . . . . 40 | 
| Oxford Circus . . . . . . . . . 8 | Paddington . . . . . . . . . . 32 | 
| Park Royal . . . . . . . . . . 62 | Parsons Green . . . . . . . . .44 | 
| Perivale . . . . . . . . . . . 69 | Piccadilly Circus . . . . . . . 9 | 
| Pimlico . . . . . . . . . . . .30 | Pinner . . . . . . . . . . . . 67 | 
| Plaistow . . . . . . . . . . . 64 | Poplar . . . . . . . . . . . . 52 | 
| Preston Road . . . . . . . . . 50 | Prince Regent . . . . . . . . .72 | 
| Pudding Mill Lane . . . . . . .55 | Putney Bridge . . . . . . . . .46 | 
| Queens Park . . . . . . . . . .43 | Queensbury . . . . . . . . . . 51 | 
| Queensway . . . . . . . . . . .26 | Ravenscourt Park . . . . . . . 48 | 
| Rayners Lane . . . . . . . . . 71 | Redbridge . . . . . . . . . . .72 | 
| Regent's Park . . . . . . . . .10 | Richmond . . . . . . . . . . . 67 | 
| Rickmansworth . . . . . . . . .84 | Roding Valley . . . . . . . . .76 | 
| Rotherhithe . . . . . . . . . .43 | Royal Albert . . . . . . . . . 74 | 
| Royal Oak . . . . . . . . . . .38 | Royal Victoria . . . . . . . . 67 | 
| Ruislip . . . . . . . . . . . .78 | Ruislip Gardens . . . . . . . .74 | 
| Ruislip Manor . . . . . . . . .75 | Russell Square . . . . . . . . .8 | 
| Seven Sisters . . . . . . . . .50 | Shadwell . . . . . . . . . . . 41 | 
| Shepherd's Bush . . . . . . . .39 | Shoreditch . . . . . . . . . . 40 | 

| Sloane Square . . . . . . . . .23 | Snaresbrook . . . . . . . . . .67 | 
| South Ealing . . . . . . . . . 65 | South Harrow . . . . . . . . . 68 | 
| South Kensington . . . . . . . 28 | South Kenton . . . . . . . . . 50 | 
| South Quay . . . . . . . . . . 57 | South Ruislip . . . . . . . . .73 | 
| South Wimbledon . . . . . . . .56 | South Woodford . . . . . . . . 69 | 
| Southfields . . . . . . . . . .53 | Southgate . . . . . . . . . . .54 | 
| Southwark . . . . . . . . . . .23 | St. James's Park . . . . . . . 18 | 
| St. John's Wood . . . . . . . .26 | St. Paul's . . . . . . . . . . 16 | 
| Stamford Brook . . . . . . . . 53 | Stanmore . . . . . . . . . . . 56 | 
| Stepney Green . . . . . . . . .43 | Stockwell . . . . . . . . . . .42 | 
| Stonebridge Park . . . . . . . 48 | Stratford . . . . . . . . . . .62 | 
| Sudbury Hill . . . . . . . . . 67 | Sudbury Town . . . . . . . . . 66 | 
| Surrey Quays . . . . . . . . . 47 | Swiss Cottage . . . . . . . . .28 | 
| Temple . . . . . . . . . . . . 16 | Theydon Bois . . . . . . . . . 90 | 
| Tooting Bec . . . . . . . . . .51 | Tooting Broadway . . . . . . . 53 | 
| Tottenham Court Road . . . . . .0 | Tottenham Hale . . . . . . . . 51 | 
| Totteridge and Whetstone . . . 48 | Tower Gateway . . . . . . . . .34 | 
| Tower Hill . . . . . . . . . . 32 | Tufnell Park . . . . . . . . . 33 | 
| Turnham Green . . . . . . . . .58 | Turnpike Lane . . . . . . . . .47 | 
| Upminster . . . . . . . . . . .94 | Upminster Bridge . . . . . . . 91 | 
| Upney . . . . . . . . . . . . .73 | Upton Park . . . . . . . . . . 66 | 
| Uxbridge . . . . . . . . . . . 88 | Vauxhall . . . . . . . . . . . 36 | 
| Victoria . . . . . . . . . . . 20 | Walthamstow Central . . . . . .58 | 
| Wanstead . . . . . . . . . . . 70 | Wapping . . . . . . . . . . . .42 | 
| Warren Street . . . . . . . . . 9 | Warwick Avenue . . . . . . . . 38 | 
| Waterloo . . . . . . . . . . . 23 | Watford . . . . . . . . . . . .87 | 
| Wembley Central . . . . . . . .49 | Wembley Park . . . . . . . . . 45 | 
| West Acton . . . . . . . . . . 57 | West Brompton . . . . . . . . .40 | 
| West Finchley . . . . . . . . .43 | West Ham . . . . . . . . . . . 63 | 
| West Hampstead . . . . . . . . 33 | West Harrow . . . . . . . . . .65 | 
| West India Quay . . . . . . . .54 | West Kensington . . . . . . . .39 | 
| West Ruislip . . . . . . . . . 84 | Westbourne Park . . . . . . . .39 | 
| Westferry . . . . . . . . . . .48 | Westminster . . . . . . . . . .16 | 
| White City . . . . . . . . . . 44 | Whitechapel . . . . . . . . . .40 | 
| Willesden Green . . . . . . . .39 | Willesden Junction . . . . . . 46 | 
| Wimbledon . . . . . . . . . . .61 | Wimbledon Park . . . . . . . . 57 | 
| Wood Green . . . . . . . . . . 48 | Woodford . . . . . . . . . . . 72 | 
| Woodside Park . . . . . . . . .46 | | 
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+ 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 556 - For Home the Bell Tolls [Amendment]

Changes the Action [Toll to <Player>] from a Neutral Action to a Pre-Move
Action, and alters charts 1.7.2 (Pre-Move Actions) and 1.7.16 (Neutral
Actions) accordingly.

{Comment:
Since the Toll action only unblocks the targeted Home station for the
duration of the Actioning Player's Turn, it can only be usefully played
before the Player has Moved.
}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 557 - Authorized Personnel Only [Multiple]

1) Creates Rule 1.7.41 "Authorization Actions", to be listed after rule
1.7.2, and reading as follows:

Authorization Actions are a subset of Pre-Move Actions; their entire
effect is to allow the Actioning Player to move to a station that e would
not otherwise be allowed to move to on that turn.

These Actions do not represent the Move itself, only the gaining of
authorization to make that Move. For example, performing the [Home] Action
does not move the Actioning Player to eir Home Station, but merely permits

the Player to move there on that turn. Likewise, the [Line Change] Action
does not in itself represent the changing of lines, but merely the gaining
of permission to change line one or more times on that Turn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Rule Duration Cost
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Cascade Sidestep] 1.8.2 -3 Bk
[Dollis Sidestep] 1.8.1 -1 Si
[Dollis Escape] 1.8.1
[Home] 1.12.4 30 mins
[Line Change] 1.5.11 none -1 Bk

[Wild] 1.11.1 30 mins -1 Bk

2) Remove the listings for the Authorization Actions listed in Rule 1.7.41
from the list in rule 1.7.2.

{Comment:
I wanted to try and clairify the rules pertaining to the little debate
we had over the [Line Change] Action; since many other Pre-Move Actions
work the same way, I figured the easiest move would be to place them in
their own category, with a blanket explanation.
}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 558 - San Francisco 1849 (Annotated Games) [Special Ruleset]

[Enactment: Annotated Games] 
In order to provide lasting commentary on tactical thought, Notes may be 
added to individual Plays. Notes begin on the line immediately following 
the last Action of the Play and should be indented in order to avoid 
rendering the Player names illegible. 
Notes begin with "{ Note:" and end with a close brace "}". Notes do not 
have a direct effect on the state of play. 
Eg In the following fragment, Rushton wishes to note the tactics behind 
eir Move... 
Rushton : [LV+2] Bank (NT) [Black Token on Moorgate] 
{ Note: Moorgate is now a Kafka Sinkhole, which should 
discourage anyone from Straddling from it. } 
In contrast to the essentially ephemeral Comment, Notes become part of 
the Play and are not to be removed. 
[Enactment: Annotate With Me] 
On starting an Annotated Game, the Speaker may specify that only Mentors 
may Play in the Game. 
{ Comment: 
There is a tradition in MC of annotated games, intended to educate the 
inexperienced. It seems sensible to provide the same mechanism in MN. 
} 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 559 - A-Farkling We Will Go [Multiple]

a) Creates the following rule:

Rule 1.5.12: Farkling

If a Player is in possession of a Silly Hat, e may play [Farkle] as eir
Move. Eir Line Velocity is reduced to zero, and e gains one Green Token,
one Bronze Token, and one Token of either Blue or Black. Any references to
eir "previous Move" should be taken as referring to the last Station e
played as eir Move.

b) Adds the following line to the chart in Rule 1.7.3 (Move Substitution
Actions):

[Farkle] 1.5.12 +1 Gr +1 Br +1 Bk/Bu

{Comments: I was flipping through Encyclopedia Morningtonia looking for
ideas, and this seemed like a good one. Since it's defined as "Sacrificing
a turn (usually in a frivolous manner)", I figured the it would be
necessary to have a Silly Hat, which needs another purpose anyway, imo.
Plus, I thought there should be a way to gain Green Tokens...}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 560 - Pegs Tie (Resubmission) [Action]

{ Comment: Resubmitting since the last vote on this was inquorate. } 
A Line Segment between two Pegged Stations may itself be Pegged by playing 
the Post-Move Action 
[Pegging <Line> from <Station 1> to <Station 2>] 

... where <Station 1> & <Station 2> are Pegged Stations and <Line> is a 
Line upon which both Stations rest and via which there is a continuous 
route between the Stations that requires no changes in direction. The order 

of Stations in the Action is not significant. 

This Action must be played in the same Turn as and immediately following 
the Action which Pegged one of the end points of the Line Segment. 

Pegging a Line Segment causes all Stations in that Line Segment to be 
considered Pegged. 

Note that only the specified Line is Pegged - if another Line runs 
parallel to the Pegged Line Segment, then that remains unpegged until and 
unless it is Pegged in its own right. 

A Line Segment may not be Pegged if any Player Piece rests upon it or if 
it overlaps another Pegged Line Segment. 

A Line Segment is Unpegged when one of its end Stations is Unpegged. 

Action: [Pegging <Line> From <Station> To <Station>] 
Cost: 1 Bu per unpegged Station in Line Segment 
Duration: 20 mins 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 561 - The Freem Clamp [Multiple]

Enactment: The Freem Clamp explained

A Player may perform the Action of "[Freeming <Player>]", where <Player> is
a Player with a Piece adjacent to the Actioning Player's Piece position. A
Freemed Player gains a "Freem Clamp" Possession. Freem Clamps are
Indestructable Possessions.

If a Player is carrying a Freem Clamp, e may not move eir Piece through any
Interchanges with more than two Lines and may not Shunt or Straddle.

A Player may destroy a single Freem Clamp which they are carrying, by
performing the Action of "[Freem-away!]" whilst at any Station in a Zone
above (outside) Zone 4.

{Borrowing wholesale from Spoon, this is another thing to clamp on someone
when wanting to do them injury. It should be fairly simple to get rid of
them by going straight out along a line, or, in emergency, Striling or
asking to be Shunted.}

Enactment: The Freem Clamp Actions

[Freeming <player>]	20mins 2 Red, 1 Green

[Freem-away!]	10mins	nil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: duncan@l... (Duncan Ellis)
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 21:25:20 GMT

> page if this Proposal passes. }
Might I suggest combining this with the Current Table in Proposal 555 should
that pass? Or on the web, for that matter. It might minimise the number of large
tables floating around (quoth that person responsible for two of the largest...)

>{ Comments : Er, there's no such thing as a High Hill Station, after all. }

Quite. Odd we hadn't noticed it before, really.

>Proposal 557 - Authorized Personnel Only [Multiple]
Yes - rather a nice clarification, really.

>Proposal 559 - A-Farkling We Will Go [Multiple]
Fine, except...

>Plus, I thought there should be a way to gain Green Tokens...}
What, apart from Recycling, you mean?

>Proposal 561 - The Freem Clamp [Multiple]
Rather splendid - and reassuringly brutal, to boot. There are a few sections of
the map from which you couldn't escape (without Striling, or some form of
Tunneling perhaps), but then that's all part of the Game.

Of course, the ruleset is worded such that >2 line Interchanges are effectively
placed under a Maelberg variance for a Freemed Player, so perhaps "No escape" is
a little strong... but very pleasing all the same.

Dunx
--
Ceci n'est pas un .sig

---

From: Kevan Davis <kdavis@i...>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 12:07:59 +0000

> It's been suggested before, but having the Currents in with the Ruleset 

Nng. It would, but I didn't realise they'd take up that much space (even when
altered to three columns, as in the example Dunx lobbed me through private
email). Personally I'm happy just to keep a copy of the Charge Delta Calculator
and Current-List Web pages on my hard drive, so that I can kick them open when
I need to check anything (and usually I only need the Delta Calculator anyway).
Adding another 12k of text to the Ruleset seems a little too horrible, to me.

Not actually true; at a glance, the post-Move Action of Straddling is
affected by Blocked Stations, so Moving, paying a Toll and Straddling is
a possibility.

Maybe best left, I'm not sure. I don't think we've ever, ever had anyone
play the "[Toll]" Action, so I doubt it makes too much difference.

>their own category, with a blanket explanation.

Hmm. I'm not sure about this one, really. The clarification's nice, but
the Proposed "big pile of text followed by a table" clashes a bit with that
part of the Ruleset. I thought the relevant rules were sufficiently self-
explanatory about the "this Action makes such-and-such a Move Valid" thing,
myself.

And I still think we should kill off Move Substitutions and replace them
with "making a Move Valid" pre-Moves (or post-Moves that can only be
played after a Pass, for "[Visiting]"). Mutter. Mumble.

>Proposal 558 - San Francisco 1849 (Annotated Games) [Special Ruleset]

Hmm. Interesting, although I'm not sure how many noteworthy Plays
would be made, in practice. The York Server annotated games tend to
work quite well because there are well-established responses and
counters to a lot of Plays, and they can be roped in as examples,
but - short of agreeing "Okay, I'll catch some Pigeons; Dunx will
set up a Courier Call and Spoon me as I try to get to a Park" stuff
prior to the match - I can see us getting through a Game without
an awful lot of enlightening explanation going on.

Maybe it'd be better just to write a few miniature example Games
between Brooke-Taylor, Cryer, Garden, Rushton, so that we can
intentionally set things up to demonstrate interesting or confusing
aspects of the Game. (The only obvious problem is that the Rules
might change to render them obsolete. Oh well.)

>Proposal 559 - A-Farkling We Will Go [Multiple]

Not sure about this one, really. Natural dislike of Move Substitutions
aside, I think it could be more frivolous - "[Farkle]" as a pre-Move
that lets you play anything other than a Tube Station as your Move
would, I think, be more Farklesque. And gaining Tokens for it seems
to fly in the face of it being a "sacrifice of one's Move".

Hmm.

>{ Comment: Resubmitting since the last vote on this was inquorate. } 

Fair enough. I think I voted against it, last time, because it seemed
too fiddly to set up, too much to remember and too expensive. And
there doesn't seem to have been a lot of Peg play so far, so I'm
dubious of its merit.

>Proposal 561 - The Freem Clamp [Multiple]

Interesting. I'm not sure how bothersome the Unfreeming Action will be
to perform, and I'm not sure how much the Freeming Action warrants a
"neutral" Green, but the rest of it seems okay. Certainly worth trying
out, I think.

Kevan

--
kdavis@i... - http://www.innotts.co.uk/~elusive/kevan - UIN: 5998366
"Euston, we have a problem."
-- Private Eye cartoon