Subject: Re: MN: Year 2, Week 21: Proposals

From: Kevan Davis <kdavis@i...>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:37:42 +0100 (BST)

>> >It's this that's letting me mercilessly block miKi on the East
>> >London Line in Game 9...
>> 
>> Maybe I'm being really dense, but I just don't see why miKi can't just Wild
>> emself off to somewhere else if e so wished.
>
>Curiously, I too am wondering about Kevan's reasoning.

Oh? Er, Rule 1.5.0 (Valid Moves):-

"After selecting a Valid non-Pass Move, the following Validity
Modifiers should be applied in sequence to determine whether that
Move is still Valid."

Trimming much of the extranea:-

"1. LV Checks

* If the distance between the target Station and the Player's
current Piece Location is not precisely the same as that Player's
LV, the Move becomes Invalid.

2. Trivial Fares

* Line Changing (Rule 1.5.11)

3. Special Moves

* Wild (Rule 1.11.1)

4. Blocks, Impediments and Gaps

* Blocks (Rule 1.9.1)

5. Loops and Cascades

* Dollis Hill Loop (Rule 1.8.1)
* Parks and Greens Cascade (Rule 1.8.2)

6. First Turn

* If this is the Player's first Turn in the Game, eir Home
Station is a Valid Move and all other Stations are Invalid."

Rule 1.11.1 says:-

"If a Player performs a pre-Move Action of "[Wild]", eir LV is set to
zero and all Wild Stations are treated as Valid Moves for the remainder
of eir Turn."

Rule 1.9.1 says:-

"Once played, a Block is treated as an obstruction on the line - a Player
may not Move onto or through a Blocked Station."

Admittedly the Block Rule's wording is still a bit quaint (unchanged
since the very early days), but either way it boils down to the fact
that - using the example of Game 9 - a Move of "[Wild] Colliers Wood":-

* Starts out as a Valid Move.
* Becomes an Invalid Move at Step 1, the LV Check.
* Remains an Invalid Move at Step 2, the Trivial Line Fare.
* Becomes a *Valid* Move at Step 3, thanks to the Wild.
* Becomes an Invalid Move again at Step 4, because moving to
Colliers Wood would involve passing through a Blocked
Station.
* Remains an Invalid Move through Steps 5 and 6.

I thought we'd been through this before, myself. Wild Moves were
'teleports' back in the early days, when your Piece moved immediately
upon the Action's performance, but ever since Wilding became "a
modifier to the legality of your Move", it's been affected by Blocks
along the way. You can use a Wild Action to overrule insufficient
Line Velocity, or change of Line, but not a Block, Maelberg, Power
Failure or whatever.

Kevan

--
kdavis@i... - http://www.innotts.co.uk/~elusive/kevan - UIN: 5998366
"Krooklok; Murgatroyd; Web site, Notts."
-- Half Man Half Biscuit, "Four Skinny Indie Kids"

---

From: Richard Brockie <rmb@r...>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 17:09:56 +0100 (BST)

> Line Velocity, or change of Line, but not a Block, Maelberg, Power

Rule 1.11.1:

"If a Player performs a pre-Move Action of "[Wild]", eir LV is set to zero
and all Wild Stations are treated as Valid Moves for the remainder of eir
Turn. A Player may not adjust eir LV after performing a "[Wild]" Action."

I do not remember the arguement about validity modifiers, I may not have
been present at the time. The thing is that Rule 1.11.1 does not make any
mention about moving to the [Wild] having to act as though the Move is
traversing the LU system. It says that all Wild stations are Valid Moves
for the remainder of the turn.

Rule 1.9.1 - Basic Blocks

The definition of the Block states that it is an obstruction on the line. 
For it to affect a [Wild] move, the definition of [Wild] needs to state
that moving to a [Wild] station has to act as though the Move is
traversing the LU system. 

--- miKi