Subject: MN: Re: Game 7 Buzz - Grimace to Judge

From: "Graeme Jefferis" <jefferis@i...>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 19:01:24 +0100

> The Judge is required to determine the truth of the fact that "Kevan was
> right to Buzz Jonathan for removing the Bronze Token from Stockwell's
> Token Stack, because it was placed there legally".
> 
> The Judge will note that the string "[Bronze Token on Stockwell]" appears
> during the first quoted Move.

Yes - the whole affair did rather confuse me. The obvious reaction
is to just write the whole thing off and judge 'for', but I'll have
a little look at things first if I may.

[Mm. Hmmm. Mmhm. Oh, the pain, the pain, etc. etc.]

Well, I'm almost tempted to judge against on account of it being such a very
minor offence -- but, I'm duty-bound to be fair, and it was a violation of the 
rules and all that. 

I judge FOR the statement: ie, Kevan was entirely 'right' to Buzz Jonathan for 
removing the token from Stockwell.

Can I encourage a little more looseness in play though? Thanks.

-Graeme.

---

From: Kevan Davis <kdavis@i...>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 08:26:22 +0100 (BST)

>Can I encourage a little more looseness in play though? Thanks.

This only works up to a point, really - the "By the way, I've removed
Cryer's Overpriced Baguette because he forgot to delete it when he ate
it" stuff is alright, but when it gets to rather more complex issues
(loose correction of loose correction of something that didn't need
correcting), where such tidying up would affect the game and possibly
their choice of strategy, I think it's better to challenge the Player
in question.

Ten out of ten for sarcasm, anyway. If my wording of the whole thing
was a little too over-explanatory, it was just to spare the Judge the
bother of working out what was happening, if e hadn't been following
the game.

Kevan

--
kdavis@i... -- http://www.cms.dmu.ac.uk/~c94kd -- UIN: 5998366
"Girl afraid; where do his intentions lay? Or does he even have any?"
-- The Smiths, "Girl Afraid"

---

From: "Dunx (Duncan Ellis)" <DELLIS@U...>
Date: 01 Jul 98 09:49:02 +0100

>Can I encourage a little more looseness in play though? Thanks. 

A reasonable request, but I think Kevan was justified in raising the issue 
since Jonathan is not currently what one might call 'about' to handle the 
issue emself. I feel sure that e would have withdrawn the buzz immediately 
otherwise. 

-- 
Dunx 
IRL: Duncan Ellis, Senior Software Engineer, Business Modelers, Oracle 
<I work for Oracle, I don't speak for them>

---

From: Graeme Jefferis <Graeme.Jefferis@f...>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 12:20:25 +0100

>their choice of strategy, I think it's better to challenge the Player

True enough. I wasn't really directly referencing this Buzz, just 
using it to springboard into a general appeal. Although, in this 
case, I feel a little more explicitness from both sides as to what 
they were doing and more importantly why they were doing it would 
have avoided much of the confusion.

>If my wording of the whole thing

Not at all - I applaud that.

-Graeme.