Subject: MN: list traffic

From: kenningd@w...
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 14:41:23 +0100

It occurs to me as a spin-off from the discussion on the garden nomic mailing
list, and as something which has been mentioned round these parts before, that
it would be really easy to set up a dedicated mailing list on egroups for each
game in progress. If list traffic is all that's putting us off having more than
one or two games in prgress at a time, then this would be the ideal solution.

What does everyone think?

dave

---

From: kenningd@w...
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 10:30:50 +0100

>Ah, yes, I'd been thinking of such things. As muttered whenever it was we
>first broached the subject, it'd probably be best to have four or five
>"Lounges", announcing the location of new Games whenever they commence.
>Hmm. The Brooke-Taylor, Cryer, Garden, Lyttleton and Rushton Memorial,
>perhaps? Subject-line prefixes of "MN-B:", "MN-C:" and so forth?

I was thinking of something prosaic like [email-masked] but your idea
sounds much better. The other good thing about dedicated mailing lists would be
that you could set up the header to put 'Game X Game State Document' in the
subject line automatically.

Marvellous.

dave

---

From: "Wayper, Paul" <WayperP@p...>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 11:32:39 +1000

Farriers,

I personally don't have a problem with the amount of traffic on the list,
nor do I have a problem going through the subject lines finding the mail I
want. I would find it severely annoying to have to subscribe to several
lists to keep my current level of involvement; and I am also afraid of the
so-called 'free' list services because of the possibility of junk email as a
result of my subscription to them.

I'm happy with the list as it is.

Have fun,

Paul Wayper -- DPI ITS Computer Systems Officer
_____________________________________________________________________
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
If it doesn't seem to work, contact me and I'll fix it. (c) 1998 PJW

---

From: kenningd@w...
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 11:15:43 +0100

>I would find it severely annoying to have to subscribe to several
>lists to keep my current level of involvement;

Assuming the list maintainer was up for it, you could be 'automatically' subbed
and unsubbed without lifting a finger.

> and I am also afraid of the

You'll be relieved to know that egroups is well and truly spam-proof -- you can
never access any other user's full email address.

>I'm happy with the list as it is.

I don't have a problem with it as it is either, I just thought it might be
useful to have separate lists. If you disagree, then fair enough.

dave

---

From: Kevan Davis <kdavis@i...>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 12:10:53 +0100 (BST)

dave said:-

>sounds much better.

Speaking of Game 11, I suppose the Long Game would work better if carried
out on a separate mailing list which Players could ignore if they didn't
fancy the spam. Hmm.

>The other good thing about dedicated mailing lists would be

Er, I trust that you mean your mailer would do such things, rather than
the list itself. We would, after all, want to Buzz and discuss Buzzes
in the Lounges.

Paul said:-

>want.

Me neither as it stands; I think such is a case of the Games filling the
space available, though - with five "Lounges" open to us, we'd be happier
to have several games with just a few people in. Up until now, we've
really just tended to have one or two many-Player games on the go at once.

>lists to keep my current level of involvement;

I don't think it's that bad, really. You can subscribe to all five if you
wish it, and by having a different "MN-*:" prefix for each lounge, it's
even easier to sort the things, Buzzes and all. The only slightly irksome
business would be subscribing and unsubscribing as you leave and join
games, but I imagine it would be the work of a moment to add a section to
the main Mornomic page, with appropriate fill-in forms...

>result of my subscription to them.

Garden Nomic's been using an eGroups list for a couple of months now,
and we've not had a single bit of junk on there; I've also been on
the Half Man Half Biscuit eGroups list for a while, and there's only
been one junk mail (fairly modest, and made by a naif rather than a
corporate fiend). I confess I'm as wary as the next man of such things,
but eGroups do seem applaudably careful about such things, even to the
point of subscribers' email addresses being corrupted with a hyphen to
stop Web-trawling address-hunters getting any treasure.

Kevan

--
kdavis@i... - http://www.innotts.co.uk/~elusive/kevan - UIN: 5998366
"Drinking different-coloured wines or beers,
just quite frankly leaves me bored to tears."
-- The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, "I'm Bored"