Subject: Re: MN: help!

From: Kevan Davis <kdavis@i...>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 14:51:07 +0100 (BST)

>>But, er, if you can't play the Action until you get there, and you need to 
>>play the Action to be *able* to get there, er, it all gets a bit Zen.
> 
>Er... yes, I suppose so. I seem to recall trying to avoid conditional terms 
>like 'would' in the wording but, as you point out, the current form (IYPTP) 
>is more confusing if anything. 

I think that "A Player may play the Action [Opening MC] for free if eir
Charge matches MC's Current." would probably be sufficient; you'd play it
before your Move if you were going for a standard win, or after if you
were Straddling. It changes the criteria (you'd no longer need to ride
into MC with the correct charge, on a standard move), but doesn't really
affect strategy too much - you'd just have to try and get a Charge of +18
before your Move rather than a Charge that would become +18 after a Move
to MC.

>>Am I completely missing the point, by the way, or [...]
> 
>Not at all, not at all - the intention is that only normal Moves modify 
>Charge, whereas Straddles, Wilds, and other types of movement don't. 

Ah. Good point. (Wilds still would, but I see your point.)

>And yes, I do plan other Charge tweaking (as I said in the Proposal, I 
>think there's plenty more scope). 

Tish. Of course you did. Me and my memory, eh?

>>As someone who's submitted a Turn involving Charge, though, I'm beginning
>to 
>>have my doubts about it. Having another document to refer to when I make my 
>>move is slightly irksome. I float once more my "Venbacker numbers extracted 
>>from the Station name" musing, but not very enthusiastically. 
> 
>Hmm. I don't really know what to say - granted that it is undoubtedly 
>another document to look at, but it's quite a simple one.

[nods] I'm not sure if it'd be worth slipping into the Ruleset or not,
really, or attempting to simplify so that we *could* just put it in as
a Rule. Either way, I'll add it to the Mornomic Web page when I update
the thing tonight.

>And, to be 
>honest, I'd probably want a Venbacker lookup table anyway... 

Well, it'd just be something like "a Station's Venbacker number is equal
to the number of letters in its name". But still rather fiddly and not
very at-a-glance, I suppose.

And dave commented:-

>Didn't I say that before? Did anyone take any notice of me? Tch!

I did, and it was the reason I Voted AGAINST the Proposals; I don't think
I got around to actually commenting on the Proposals, though. Tsk.

Kevan

--
kdavis@i... - http://www.innotts.co.uk/~elusive/kevan - UIN: 5998366
"I will roar from the stalls, I will gurgle from the circle."
-- Morrissey, "Lucky Lisp"