Subject: MN: Chew this one over?

From: Graeme Jefferis <Graeme.Jefferis@f...>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 13:29:28 +0100

This is not proposed yet; just submitted for your comments.
An interesting concept, I think. However I'm not sure if it will 
work as it stands. Can anyone suggest any improvements / highlight
any huge flaws?
I'm attempting to make it the MC equivalent of the old board game
'Go For Broke'.

The Reverse Game. (Special Ruleset)

1. All player pieces begin at Mornington Crescent.

2. All players begin with 2 gold tokens, 8 silver tokens, 6 bronze 
tokens, 5 red tokens, 4 blue tokens, 4 black tokens, a zone 1-3
railcard, and an overpriced baguette.

3. All references in the Ruleset to any possession gains or losses
are reversed; the same applies to attribute alterations.

For example, the action [LV+3] will lower the actioning player's LV
by 3; and [Purchasing] actions will gain the player the specified
number of tokens and lose em the reverse-Purchased item.

4. All actions are deemed to take place in reverse order. Post-move
actions occur first, before the move; Pre-move actions take place
after the move. 

For simplicity's sake, line changes and any other chronologically
ordered aspects of moves are written as they would be in a normal
game.

5. A player may only win if e moves to eir Home station with no tokens, 
no other possessions, and an LV of 0.

---

From: Kevan Davis <c94kd@d...>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 13:28:16 BST

> The Reverse Game. (Special Ruleset)

You scary, scary man, sir - I was mulling over this very concept not
two hours ago.

> 1. All player pieces begin at Mornington Crescent.

Hmm. This would make the opening Turns something of a mess of Shunting
and whatnot, I fear. Perhaps better to have the first Player starting
there, and everyone else beginning at (possibly) Stations of their
choice, so long as they're not too near one another.

> railcard, and an overpriced baguette.

[grins] Nicely arbitrary. It seems fair enough, I think.

> number of tokens and lose em the reverse-Purchased item.

Confusing, but workable, I should think.

> no other possessions, and an LV of 0.

I think finishing with the starting amounts of Tokens is perhaps
neater, but still.

I don't know, really - it's a nice idea, but there are probably quite
a few loopholes that can be exploited (Banking Tokens strikes me more
than anything - say that you're collecting all your Tokens from Bank,
then head Home) and perhaps a lot of potential for deadlocks when a
planned reverse tactic becomes impossible.

It'd be interesting to attempt, though. I await further discussion.

Kevan

--
Kevan Davis -- c94kd@d... -- http://www.cms.dmu.ac.uk/~c94kd
"Internet search engines run on diesel."
-- Dave's Web of Lies (http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hancockd/lies.htm)