Subject: MN: RE: Fwd: Registration

From: "Wayper, Paul" <WayperP@p...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 07:39:07 +1000

On Thursday, June 18, 1998 6:32 PM, Dunx (Duncan Ellis)
[SMTP:DELLIS@U...] wrote:
> I've never heard of this outfit before, so is it just speculative
spam? 

I haven't got it. I'd say it's a fairly typical scam designed to
convince idiots to move over to MumbleCo's server. Keeping in mind that
they can often offer free service because they tag advertising onto the
lists and so forth, then it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

If you ever need a site to run the list, I can run small lists off my
server here. It's sort of clandestine (it's running on our section
server rather than our main list server, which everyone's hopefully
forgotten about), but it works. Kev, what's the situation with Foobar
again? Can we continue there?

Lots of jelly-beans,

Paul Wayper -- DPI ITS Computer Systems Officer
_____________________________________________________________________
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
If it doesn't seem to work, contact me and I'll fix it. (c) 1998 PJW

---

From: Kevan Davis <c94kd@d...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 12:27:28 BST

> again? Can we continue there?

Well, as I've said, I'm no longer in touch with the chap who let us
have the list, so the thing could feasibly fall over or be removed at
any moment. I need to look into changing the listowner address, as
well, from my university address (which dies a quiet death in early
July) to my home-access address; hopefully I can do that without having
to ask Foobar nicely, but if such is required then things could be
difficult.

I'd be more comfortable if we had a list running elsewhere, I think;
the possible instability of Foobar is a bit of a Sword of Damocles,
and I'd rather be sitting somewhere else, given the choice.

Kevan

--
Kevan Davis -- c94kd@d... -- http://www.cms.dmu.ac.uk/~c94kd
"Don't rewrite the books, just rewrite the title."
-- My Life Story, "April 1st"

---

From: "Jonathan L. Ellis" <mfmx4jle@f...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 15:28:12 BST0GMT

> any moment: the possible instability of Foobar is a bit of a Sword 
> of Damocles and I'd rather be sitting somewhere else, given the
> choice.

Erm, have I heard this somewhere before? A website where the 
person who let us on to the server is no longer around, for whatever 
reason, and the whole thing could go *vom* at any moment... Shades of 
Delphi, perhaps?

Jonathan.

Jonathan L. Ellis <mfmx4jle@f...>