Subject: MN: help!

From: David Kenning <KenningD@w...>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 17:14:08 -0000

For some reason my poxy browser won't load the ruleset in its entirety -
either version. In the text version, it gets stuck in 0.9.2, and in hte HTML
version, it gets stuck halfway through Carol Vorderman. This is most
annoying and means I am scuppered in most current games. I can't see
anything in my browser about not loading files above a certain size (I
expect it's yet another aspect the bastards upstairs have 'customized').

It does give me an idea though - Kevan, how about the possibility of
breaking the rules into more than one document? I often find myself skipping
past the Nomic Mechanics section anyway (and I'm sure I'm not the only one),
so it would serve a dual purpose.

dave

---

From: Kevan Davis <kdavis@i...>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 22:40:49 +0000

>version, it gets stuck halfway through Carol Vorderman.

I dimly recall this problem cropping up last year, but forget how or why.
Checking the online versions of the files, they seem to load quite
happily into my browser, so I really can't guess what might be wrong.
Either Xoom's being awkward, or (and I hazard wildly, knowing little of
these things) it's some memory problem that your browser's having, and a
reload or reboot might knock some sense into it.

>so it would serve a dual purpose.

This has been vaguely discussed a couple of times - at the end of the
day, it's better to have them in one big file so that you can swipe the
whole thing for a local copy, or to allow you to search for items of
interest. I could kludge another godawful QBasic file-shredder to split
the ruleset into a few sections, if there's much need for it, and have
both available from the Web page.

You're right about the Nomic Mechanics section, though - I can't remember
the last time I glanced at that, aside from checking which Award is which
at the end of the Week. Hmm.

Kevan

--
kdavis@i... - http://www.innotts.co.uk/~elusive/kevan - UIN: 5998366
"Terror, like charity, begins at home."
-- The Whitlams, "You Sound Like Louis Burdett"