Subject: MN: Emergency Proposal 024 - Judged

From: Kevan Davis <kdavis@i...>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 21:18:52 +0100 (BST)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emergency Proposal 024 - Ars Gratia Artis [other]

The Game State Document for Game 8 shall follow this example:

+----------+----------------+-------------+---------------+-------------------+
| GAME: 32 | TIME: Mon 0600 | CIRCLE: <-> | BRIDGES: down | KNIP: out |
+----------+----------------+-------------+---------------+-------------------+
| WILD: Chalfont & Latimer, Kings Cross, Ealing Broadway |
+=============================================================================+
| Mile End | BkBuBuReSiBk | Amersham | BrBkBkSiReRe |
| Epping | BrBkRe | Ealing Broadway | Bk |
+=============================================================================+
| Name |LV| Bk Bu Br Go Re Si | Other information |
+---------------+--+-------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Rushton | 8| 4 0 5 1 3 1 | |
| Brooke-Taylor | 4| 3 2 4 2 4 1 | In Spoon |
| Drone | 6| 1 2 2 0 1 1 | |
| Garden |10| 7 1 4 0 6 3 | Drone Keeper |
+---------------+--+-------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Rushton | Zone 1 Pass, Hats (ACV) |
| Brooke-Taylor | Railcard, Chocolate Bar, Hats (TV) |
| Garden | Zones 1-3 Pass, Railcard, Hats (AOTV) |
+---------------+-------------------------------------------------------------+

{Comment:

I've ben considering the perennial GSD format question and have come up with
the above which is more compact, and I hope more user-friendly. If this EP
passes and this format works out for Game 8, I'll propose to include it
formally in the ruleset (with all the necessary tinkerings that will be
required), if not, we'll have to go with the status quo until someone comes up
with something better...

Note the addition of the game number in the header info, and the removal of
home stations, as has been discussed; basically, I've tried to remove as much
extraneous information as possible (most of it is self-explanatory anyway);
Home stations could easily be mentioned in the 'Other information' section if
people think that is necessary.}

{
Judge's Comment:

The fickle finger of Fate selected your dear Speaker as the Judge for
this one, so I've Judged immediately and shall comment on it here.

Basically; yes, an applaudable effort to trim extraneous space and
make the top of the GSD a nicer place, but I'm really not happy with
any of the proposed alternative solutions to keeping track of Home
Stations, and the "Other Information" box seems rather too superfluous
(at least for the examples chosen, and I can think of no others); Spoon
is easy enough to keep track of normally, being something a Player is
likely to remember, and Drone Keeping was (in, I grant you, a Proposal
dave wasn't around for) altered slightly so that the Keeper gets a
Drone Stick to signify eir position.

Sorry to be such a squib, but since this is an Eprop I should really
Judge it black-and-whitely. Would have been nicer to get this discussed
on the mailing list first, really.
}

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Raised by dave, 08/07/98
Kevan has been selected to Judge this Proposal
Kevan Judges AGAINST
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: kenningd@w... (L'homme a tete de choux)
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 10:59:12 +0100

>the "Other Information" box seems rather too superfluous
> (at least for the examples chosen, and I can think of no others);

Indeed. It occurred to me after I submitted the EP that in fact the sample
names are a bad choice -- "Brooke-Taylor", while having a certain appositeness,
is inordinately long. If you substituted a more realistically short name, then
the 'other' space can be increased, and used as the luggage rack -- it may
ultimately require some abbreviation of possessions (perhaps something like "ZP
1-3" for zone passes?) but I think it could be worked. The length of names can
be restricted by a rule (is it already? I can't remember without checking) to
prevent that ever becoming a problem.

> Sorry to be such a squib,

Not at all -- it's all part of the game.

>but since this is an Eprop I should really

Yes, I really just wanted to see if it would get through quickly before game 8
started. It hasn't, so we can now perhaps discuss it on the list while getting
on with the game, which I shall kick off asap.

dave

---

From: Graeme Jefferis <Graeme.Jefferis@f...>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 11:15:22 +0100

>names are a bad choice -- "Brooke-Taylor", while having a certain 
>appositeness, is inordinately long. If you substituted a more
realistically 
>short name, then the 'other' space can be increased, and used as the
luggage 
>rack -- it may ultimately require some abbreviation of possessions
(perhaps 
>something like "ZP 1-3" for zone passes?) but I think it could be
worked.
>The length of names can be restricted by a rule (is it already? I can't

>remember without checking) to prevent that ever becoming a problem.

First, name length is restricted, though I forget by how much. More 
importantly, as the point of GSD furniture arranging is to make things
easier, abbreviating things is a very bad idea. 
That said, I did like the proposed design. Kevan mentioned that Spoon
wouldn't need inclusion in the 'other' section; he's quite right, as
the Spoon Clamp possession shows Spoon well enough. If we revamp all
player states in a similar way -- are there many more to do? -- then
the 'Other' space could be happily employed as Home Station space.

>on with the game, which I shall kick off asap.

No real rush as I'm not going to play until I get home, about
six-thirty to seven-ish.

-Graeme.