Subject: MN: Game 9: Bzzzt!

From: Richard Brockie <rmb@r...>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 13:47:26 +0100 (BST)

Paul played:

PaulWay : [Home: Finchley Central] [Purchasing Zone 4 Pass]
Finchley Central (NL)

{Comments:
-2Br: Purchasing - tokens evaporate
+1Br: Zone Pass
I don't believe I gain or lose a black token for this move. True?

Game time updated. Enjoy.

Third time lucky - team letters in brackets _and_
game time really updated. Sheesh :-)
}

Sorry to buzz the very first move, but Paul's purchasing of the zone pass
and subsequent claiming of a token using it does not feel right. The
reason I am buzzing is not to be petulant, but because I was going to copy
him, but came across the following objection:

The way I view it is that when one plays the [Home: <Station>] action, at
that instant (well, 30 mins), one moves home. Paul is then well within his
rights to purchase the zone card. However, then claiming the token for
having the card contravenes the relevent part of Rule 1.4.20: 

| Playing any Valid Move within a Zone | +1 Bronze |
| for which a Zone Pass is carried | | 

Paul has already made his move: it placed him at a station so he could
purchase a zone pass - he cannot claim the token as at that time he did
not have the pass.

The fact that the neutral action of [Purchasing] can be listed before the
position of Paul's piece does not mean that a token can be claimed.

A pedantic point, I know, but Paul's move effectively reduces the cost of
a zone pass by one token.

--- miKi

---

From: Kevan Davis <kdavis@i...>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:39:57 +0100 (BST)

>that instant (well, 30 mins), one moves home.

Not the case, I'm afraid - Rule 1.12.4 (Going Home) says:-

"If a Player performs a pre-Move Action of "[Home]" or "[Home: <Station>]",
eir LV is set to zero and eir Home Station is treated as a Valid Move for
the remainder of eir Turn. A Player may not adjust eir LV after performing
a "[Home]" Action."

You don't actually go Home until you perform the Move section of your
Turn.

>purchase a zone pass - [...]

Ah. That's actually a very good point - prior to our first Move, we're
all just floating around in a void, a world away from any ticket
machines. You can't buy a Zone Pass before your first Move, because
your Piece isn't situated at a Station. I hadn't considered that.

A fair Buzz, I think, if not quite for the reasons you stated...

Kevan

--
kdavis@i... - http://www.innotts.co.uk/~elusive/kevan - UIN: 5998366
"Monday night is 50's night; Tuesday night is 60's night;
Wednesday night is 70's night; Friday night is Thursday night."
-- TISM, "Garbage"