Subject: Re: MN: Reya.

From: "Dunx (Duncan Ellis)" <DELLIS@U...>
Date: 07 Oct 98 10:54:16 +0100

> I don't /think/ I need a Mentor; the only rule which is confusing me is 
>the Charge/Current rule-pair. 

You've rejoined after the discussion of these on the list... the Rules 
are more a definition of the terms than an explanation of how to use them, 
which is perhaps not ideal. I'll put forward a Proposal to add more 
explanatory text to the definitions. 

In the meantime, there are two things you need to know: 
1. the list of Currents is at - 
http://www.lazarus.demon.co.uk/mn/currents.htm 
2. some more explanation of Currents and Charges was in my reply to 
the Week 23 Proposals. I'll publish this on my web page this 
evening, but in the meantime here's an extract on how they work 
in play: 

----------------------------------- 8< -------------------------------- 
[...] the actual Charge calculation [...] should 
involve only three numbers: the Current of the Station at the start of the 
Move; the Current of the Station at the end of the Move; and the Charge 
of the Piece before the Move. What you're doing is working out the 
change in Current which the Piece has been subjected to, and adding that 
on to the Piece's Charge. 
----------------------------------- 8< -------------------------------- 

There does appear to be a dearth of examples in the discussions, so here's 
one - a Piece with a Charge of 11 is situated at Bethnal Green (Current=40) 
and moves to Moorgate (Current=23). The Piece's new Charge is calculated as 

old_charge + end_Station_Current - start_Station_Current 

so the new Charge value is 11 + (23 - 40) = -6 

Remember, though, that only standard moves along LU lines count towards 
Charge calculations: if, in our example, the Piece then Straddled away 
to Limehouse, Aldgate or Timbuktu its Charge would be unaffected. 

OK? 

> Oh, and I'll join the Ruttsburough game. 

*suppresses urge to cackle evilly* 

-- 
Dunx 
IRL: Duncan Ellis, Senior Software Engineer, Business Modelers, Oracle 
<I work for Oracle, I don't speak for them>