Subject: Re: MN: help!

From: kenningd@w...
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 13:23:22 +0100

>But, er, if you can't play the Action until you get there, and you need to
>play the Action to be *able* to get there, er, it all gets a bit Zen.

Exactly. However, I think I've sussed why it is like it is (if Dunx would like
to confirm my suspicions).

Your new charge is calculated at the end of the so-called *piece* move, so that
if your move to MC is a normal move, then your charge has to be 18 at the start
of your turn. However, if you are intending to straddle to MC, then your new
charge, calculated when you've moved to the station you are intending to
straddle from, needs to be 18.

>Am I completely missing the point, by the way, or is there only possible way
>to Win with a Charge - to start the Game at Tottenham Court Road with a Charge
>of zero (or to do some very, very, very clever Shunting, I suppose)? Or does
>Dunx plan other ways for Charge to be altered?

Well, you're not allowed to start the game at Tottenham Ct Rd, are you? I'm
sure you could work out a way to win very quickly by canny choice of home
station, but this is why I asked about negative charges -- unless you allow
them to count too (i.e. allow a player with a charge of -18 to move to MC),
it's actually not that easy to just make a dash for MC from the extremities of
the Northern Line, due to the way charge is calculated -- it's a valid query,
since current isn't specified as a signed value, so I'm presuming it's supposed
to be AC, rather than DC.

>As someone who's submitted a Turn involving Charge, though, I'm beginning to
>have my doubts about it. Having another document to refer to when I make my
>move is slightly irksome.

Didn't I say that before? Did anyone take any notice of me? Tch!

dave