Subject: MN: Re: Wilding past Blocks

From: Kevan Davis <kdavis@i...>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 22:27:59 +0100 (BST)

>Rule 1.11.1:
>
>"If a Player performs a pre-Move Action of "[Wild]", eir LV is set to zero
>and all Wild Stations are treated as Valid Moves for the remainder of eir
>Turn. A Player may not adjust eir LV after performing a "[Wild]" Action."
>
>I do not remember the arguement about validity modifiers, I may not have
>been present at the time. The thing is that Rule 1.11.1 does not make any
>mention about moving to the [Wild] having to act as though the Move is
>traversing the LU system. It says that all Wild stations are Valid Moves
>for the remainder of the turn.

Hmm. Personally I've been assuming that a Player's actual Move is always
along LU lines - whether this is actually stated is quite another matter,
of course... [checks around for a good while] Aha. Rule 1.5.8:-

"* A Piece's Move is its normal motion along LU lines, excluding all
Action-related changes to position."

So I'd say that one's Move was *always* along LU lines - Wilding just
allows you to make Moves that ignore the usual LV and line-change
restrictions (but are still restricted by Blocks and whatnot). Things
like Stupid Compass Tricks get around such limitations by being
purely Action-based Piece manipulation (which is perhaps a bit
suspect), but Wilding is just a Move-legality thing, and remains
bound to the rails.

Such is my reading of things, anyway...

Kevan

--
kdavis@i... - http://www.innotts.co.uk/~elusive/kevan - UIN: 5998366
"So I rang up my local swimming baths. I said 'Is that the local
swimming baths?' He said 'It depends where you're calling from.'"
-- Tim Vine

---

From: Richard Brockie <rmb@r...>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 12:11:46 +0100 (BST)

> Such is my reading of things, anyway...

I am inclined to agree that that is the interpretation that the rules
imply. However, I don't think that is the general interpretationn - I have
come a cropper on this myself, remember my attempt to straddle to the
token stack? 

I understand the general idea that blocks and other such obstructions are
physical obstructions to normal movement, with [Wild] and similar being
teleport moves. Thus you can get around the block, but there can be major
inconvenience in doing do. Swings and roundabouts which balance in the
great scheme of things. In the interpretation above, blocks have
too great a power and, in my opinion, this is unbalanced.

--- miKi