Subject: MN: Year 2, Week 27: Proposals

From: Kevan Davis <kdavis@i...>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:13:40 GMT

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNINGTON NOMIC

Proposals for Voting on in Year Two, Week Twenty-Seven
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 534 - You Are Here [Amendment]

To the list of new Game things in Rule 1.1.2 (A New Game), add:-

* The Game shall take place in a Lounge of the Speaker's choice.

{ Comments : Rather a stupid oversight, there. Tsk. }

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 535 - We Don't Need No ISO9000 [Amendment]

Remove the "Failure to follow Rule 1.2.0" row from Rule 0.9.1 (Kudos).

{ Comments : We've never, ever, ever remembered to take any notice of this
one, and it seems a bit fiddly and pointless anyway. }

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 536 - Meanwhile, in another Nomic... [Enactment]

Upon Enactment of this Rule, any Player who joined Garden Nomic in the
past Week and cited Kevan as the Gnome who persuaded em to join shall
receive ten Kudos. This Rule will then repeal itself.

{ Comments : I'll get the Recruitment Medal and be a step nearer winning,
is all. Shameful of me, but I really can't think of any more
interesting Proposals this Week, and this struck me as amusing.

http://members.xoom.com/gnomic, for details. }

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 537 - Plastic Age (The Buggles) [Multiple]

Amend Rule 1.4.10 (This Token has a Cash Value of 0.0001p) to read:

Any Player may pay 10 Plastic Tokens of the same colour to exchange them for
1 Gold Token by performing the [Bonanza] Action. Exchanged Tokens are
returned to the Token Dispensers where all tokens come from.

Amend 1.7.16 (Neutral Actions) so that the [Bonanza] action reads:

[Bonanza] 1.4.10 -10 Plastic

{Comment:
I figured that people want more ways to get those all-important Gold Tokens,
and the Bonanza action has been a bit of a fizzer up until now. I don't
think this is going to throw the game askew, though.
}

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 538 - Hats: People Aren't Wearing Enough of Them [Amendment]

Amend Rule 1.4.20 (Token Collection Table) to add the following entry: 

| Finishing eir Turn at a Station matching a Hat | +1 Plastic Token | 
| owned by the Player and not collected at that | per matching | 
| Station that Turn | Hat | 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 539 - Not Long Enough [Multiple]

{ Comment: 
There isn't really any adequate way of specifying that an enactment 
must apply to a specific Special Ruleset, so I'll just say in this 
comment that this enactment should live in the Long Game section 
(although I suppose that's obvious from the wording of No Charge...) 
} 

[Enactment: No Charge] 
Rule 1.19.3 (Charge of the Heavy Brigade) shall not apply to the Long Game. 

{ Comment: 
The point is that we can't really have a Long Game whose length is 
regulated solely by the large number of Gold Tokens to be collected when 
Charge can (theoretically) be used to win the Game at any time. 

The other option would be, of course, to recast Rule 1.19.3 as being a 
three Gold Token discount, but I don't fancy that. 
} 

[Amendment: Apart From This One] 
Amend Rule 2.5.1 (The Long Game) to read thus: 

"In the Long Game, the cost for the [Opening MC] action is 25 Gold Tokens." 

{ Comment: removing the (now spurious) assertion that there are no other 
variations from the Vanilla Ruleset. This clause could also be read 
to prevent such arcana as a Long Chalk Farm game. 
} 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 540 - Running the Game into the Ground [amendment]

Amend the final sentence of Rule 1.4.11 (Token Running) to read as follows:

A player may not perform the [Token Running] action from the same Terminus more
than once per Game, nor may e perform the action when moving away from any
other Terminus on a Line on which e has already performed the action, or when
moving away from any Terminus in Zone 1.

{alternatively...}

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 541 - Running out of Steam [repeal]

Repeal rule 1.4.11

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 542 - Any colour, as long as it's Puce [multiple]

{Let's try this again...}

Add the following to the end of the first paragraph of Rule 1.4.1 (Token
Gesture):

Any number of each colour of tokens may be in play except Puce tokens, of which
there may be no more than ten in play (either in the possession of players or
on token stacks) at any one time per game.

Amend the second paragraph of Rule 1.4.1 (Token Gesture) to read as follows:

"There are eight colours of Token - three Metallic (Gold, Silver and Bronze)
and five Plastic (Black, Blue, Green, Puce and Red)."

Add the following description of Puce Tokens to the list in the same rule:

* Puce : Wild (may be used in place of any other plastic token, except when
being placed on a token stack when it is always Puce; in each case, the user
should specify which token(s) it is replacing in the comments at the end of eir
turn)

Add the following details of the [Silver to Puce] action to Rules 1.7.21
(Bureau de Change) and 1.7.16 (Neutral Actions):

Action	Cost/Paid	Received
[Silver to Puce]	1 Silver	2 Puce

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Dunx (Duncan Ellis)" <DELLIS@U...>
Date: 28 Oct 98 17:37:27 +0000

> one, and it seems a bit fiddly and pointless anyway. } 

Quite so - I think it was a viable rule in the early days when no one knew 
how to lay out a GSD, but nowadays we have a considerable archive to draw 
on. 

> receive ten Kudos. This Rule will then repeal itself. 
A bit of a giveaway on the author! 

> http://members.xoom.com/gnomic, for details. } 
A shame the link's dead, though... I get an Error 403 message: 
"You don't have permission to access /g/n/gnomic on this server." 

>Proposal 537 - Plastic Age (The Buggles) [Multiple] 
Hmm... probably better than the existing rule. I suppose one Gold token 
isn't too excessive for sitting in one place for five turns, or making ten 
moves on the same line. 

>Proposal 541 - Running out of Steam [repeal] 
I'd go for killing it. 

>Proposal 542 - Any colour, as long as it's Puce [multiple] 
Much better than the last version. 

>on token stacks) at any one time per game. 
I wonder if we need a Puce counter at the top of the GSD? Might be a little 
easier to keep track of than trawling through all the Player token totals 
and Token Stacks... still, less likely to be updated as well so it might 
well be more trouble than it's worth. 

>should specify which token(s) it is replacing in the comments at the end of 
eir 
I'm still a little concerned that there's nothing to stop someone using just 
Puces to pay for an Action - I suppose it doesn't really matter when there 
can only be ten in play, but still... 

-- 
Dunx 
IRL: Duncan Ellis, Senior Software Engineer, Business Modelers, Oracle 
<I work for Oracle, I don't speak for them>