Subject: MN: Emergency Proposal 027 - Fails

From: Kevan Davis <kdavis@i...>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 10:26:39 +0100 (BST)

Emergency Proposal 027 (Swings and Roundabouts) has failed with one FOR
Vote and two AGAINST; the reception of three Votes means that we don't
need to wait around for the full twenty-four hours to elapse.

Kevan

--
kdavis@i... - http://www.innotts.co.uk/~elusive/kevan - UIN: 5998366
"I was tired again, I tried again and now my heart is full, now my
heart is full, and I just can't explain so I won't even try to."
-- Morrissey, "Now My Heart Is Full"

---

From: "Dunx (Duncan Ellis)" <DELLIS@U...>
Date: 21 Sep 98 11:50:23 +0100

>need to wait around for the full twenty-four hours to elapse. 

This doesn't seem right - I realise that the 'three votes closes voting' 
clause is there to speed things up, but it's also open to abuse. It also 
effectively means that only the first three votes cast are counted. 

I'm not crying foul in this instance, since it is quite clear what the 
rules say, but I think the rules are wrong. 

-- 
Dunx 
IRL: Duncan Ellis, Senior Software Engineer, Business Modelers, Oracle 
<I work for Oracle, I don't speak for them>

---

From: Kevan Davis <kdavis@i...>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:15:21 +0100 (BST)

>effectively means that only the first three votes cast are counted. 

It's the trade-off, I suppose - you can either get a quick result or one
that fairly represents everyone's thoughts, but rarely both. Perhaps it
would work better as "after at least twenty-four hours have elapsed
and at least three Players have Voted", though. It's just the fear of
having an urgent Eprop raised and only having two Players bothering to
Vote, really.

For the record, though, I received a total of 2 FOR Votes and 3 AGAINST.

Kevan

--
kdavis@i... - http://www.innotts.co.uk/~elusive/kevan - UIN: 5998366
"To make myself appear less of a soft target to any
marauding gangs, I think I spat a few times."
-- David Devant and his Spirit Wife, "Cookie the Clown"