Subject: MN: Re: Game 4 Buzz on miKi.

From: "Graeme Jefferis" <jefferis@i...>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 23:22:53 +0100

> +------------------+--------------++------------------+--------------+
> | Mile End | ReBrBkBkBk || Morden | ReBkBrBr |
> | Camden Town | BrBrBrBrBr || Temple | ReBrBkReRe |
> | Brixton | BlReBrBr || Beckton | ReReReReBkRe |
> | Elm Park | BuBuBuBu || Elephant & Castle| BkBkBrBr |
> | Borough | BrBrGoBrBrBr || Dollis Hill | BrBrBkReRe |
> | Oakwood | BkBkBkBkBkBk || Finchley Central | BuBuBuBu |
> | Charing Cross | Susp Package || | |
> +------------------+--------------++------------------+--------------+
> miKi : [LV-1] [Token Running] Whitechapel (EL via EL, DL, CN, HC) 
> [Shunting PaulWay to New Cross Gate] 
> miKi : [LV+3] Moorgate (EL) [Opening MC]
> [Straddling to Mornington Crescent (NT)]

Bzzt.

Straddling as you intend to requires token stacks on either Barbican
or Moorgate, and they're not there. (Had me worried though.)

Also, the stations you straddle through with East London line codes
really ought to be Hammersmith & City ones.

-Graeme.

---[ Rule 1.7.6 - Straddling Nancy ]------------------------------------

There are two forms of Straddle, both requiring the proximity of a Token 
Stack: 
- a standing Straddle requires that the Player's Move leave em at the
same location as a Token Stack. 
- a running Straddle requires that the Player's Move leave em adjacent
to a Token Stack, in the Line Direction of eir last Move Segment. 

The Straddle may be for a number of stations no greater than the size
of the Token Stack (the count of Stations being made from the Stack
itself), and is not considered to pass through any of the intervening
Stations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

nb - is anyone unhappy with this bit of wording?

>a running Straddle requires that the Player's Move leave em adjacent
>to a Token Stack, in the Line Direction of eir last Move Segment. 

Not that it's wrong; it just seems easily misinterpretable.
'adjacent in the Line Direction' could be taken to mean 'token stack
is in front of the player' as well as it could 'behind the player'.

I'll leave it for now.

---

From: Richard Brockie <R.Brockie@r...>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 14:03:19 +0100 (BST)

> really ought to be Hammersmith & City ones.

Tsk, how careless - I was too busy interpreting Straddling Nancy.

> to a Token Stack, in the Line Direction of eir last Move Segment. 

I interpret this to mean that at the end of my Player Move which includes
movement of my token from Whitechapel to Moorgate, my piece should be left
adjacent to a token stack. This I have done. The size of the token stack
is 5 which allows me to reach MC from Moorgate. 

I believe we need adjudication on the matter.

--- miKi

---

From: Richard Brockie <R.Brockie@r...>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 14:08:16 +0100 (BST)

> I believe we need adjudication on the matter.

Aargh! This should read:

I interpret this to mean that at the end of my Player Move which includes
the Straddle, as opposed to my Piece Move which is the movement of my
token from Whitechapel to Moorgate, my piece should be left adjacent to a
token stack. This I have done. The size of the token stack is 5 which
allows me to reach MC from Moorgate.

We still need adjudication,
--- miKi