Subject: Re: MN: our survey says... Paul to Referee

From: Kevan Davis <kdavis@i...>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 14:52:42 +0100 (BST)

>Well, I believe the rules still say that actions take place in the order
>specified, though I haven't checked,

Carol Vorderman (1.13.3) does, indeed, say:-

"Actions and Piece movement occur in sequence such that the total duration
of a Player's Turn is calculated by adding the durations of the individual
components."

>that's 55 minutes so far, so this:
>
>> 20 mins | -1 Black; Straddling (Black on Boston Manor).
>
>takes you over your allotted hour, so you can't then do this:
>
>> 0 mins | +3 Red and +5 Blue for completing a Black/Silver/Black Stack.
>> 10 mins | -1 Blue; Ludicrum tempus fugit, gaining an hour (Blue on
>> | Boston Manor).
>
>Even though the rule may not specifically say you're not allowed to do this, I
>think there's enough in the rules about sequence and so on to prevent such a
>cheeky ploy.

I did think long and hard about this, doing much biro-sucking and trying
to sequence it so that I'd advance the Game Time before doing more than
sixty minutes of stuff. Then I realised I didn't need to; the only
restriction on Turn duration is (Carol, again):-

"A Turn may not have a total duration of more than one hour of Game Time 
(unless otherwise permitted or specified). Playing a Turn the total 
duration of which exceeds the allotted Game Time is an Illegal Move."

Which I read as meaning "When you submit a Turn, if its total duration is
greater than your allotted Time, it's Illegal." One only Plays a Turn
when the email is submitted to the mailing list, after all.

Perhaps it could use rewording to "If the performing of an Action or
Move would take the total duration of that Turn beyond the currently
allotted Game Time, that Action may not be performed.", but I feel
this is Proposal material rather than a swift and obvious Eprop.

>I think if you want to do the straddle, you'll need to lose at least 15 minutes
>worth of other actions (presumably the hat collecting and bronze dropping),
>then of course you won't need the extra hour, so you can lose that as well and
>you'll be all right.

Well, except I couldn't Straddle without a dropped Bronze.

Much arsing about just to sneakily get myself some extra Tokens, I know,
but Julie's looking a bit of a threat and I may need to wake the Drone
up. These sort of Rules need to be hit with a hammer to see what noise
people hear, anyway. I'll bow my head and pay the price if this gets
judged against. Sorry to slow things up.

Anyway - Paul has been selected to Referee this one.

Kevan

--
kdavis@i... - http://www.innotts.co.uk/~elusive/kevan - UIN: 5998366
"How I love all of the complicated things of life."
-- Morrissey, "Such a Little Thing Makes Such a Big Difference (Live)"