Subject: Re: MN: help!

From: Kevan Davis <kdavis@i...>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 13:07:53 +0100 (BST)

>> A Player may play the Action [Opening MC] for no cost if the Charge of eir 
>> Piece matches the Current of Mornington Crescent Station at the point at 
>> which eir Piece enters the Station. 
>
>The piece's charge 'at the point of entering the station' depends on when you
>do the calculation -- is the working out of the piece's new charge done pre- or
>post-move? If, as I intuitively assume is the case, it's post-move, then
>effectively you're saying the charge needs to match the MC current at the start
>of the move, ie it's the same as your new charge calculated at the end of your
>previous turn. Am I correct in assuming this? It's just that the roundabout
>wording of the rule suggests that it intends to mean something else.

Well, it says "Charge is modified by passage along LU network Lines", so "the
Point at which eir Piece enters the Station" means that you'd have to have the
correct Charge at the end of your Winning Move.

But, er, if you can't play the Action until you get there, and you need to
play the Action to be *able* to get there, er, it all gets a bit Zen. I think
"...if the Charge of eir Piece would match the Current of Mornington Crescent
Station at the point at which eir Piece would enter the Station." would make
more sense, really.

Am I completely missing the point, by the way, or is there only possible way
to Win with a Charge - to start the Game at Tottenham Court Road with a Charge
of zero (or to do some very, very, very clever Shunting, I suppose)? Or does
Dunx plan other ways for Charge to be altered?

As someone who's submitted a Turn involving Charge, though, I'm beginning to
have my doubts about it. Having another document to refer to when I make my
move is slightly irksome. I float once more my "Venbacker numbers extracted
from the Station name" musing, but not very enthusiastically.

Kevan

--
kdavis@i... - http://www.innotts.co.uk/~elusive/kevan - UIN: 5998366
"There's people who can't spell 'weird' right,
driving round with thousands in the bank."
-- Half Man Half Biscuit, "Turned up Clocked on Laid off"