Subject: MN: Game 8 - Rather Futile Buzz on Kevan

From: "Dunx (Duncan Ellis)" <DELLIS@U...>
Date: 17 Aug 98 12:56:57 +0100

Kevan Moved: 

>| Kevan | Royal Victoria | 5 | 5 3 3 0 5 1 | 

> Kevan : [Game Time: +0100] [LV+3] [Eating Chocolate Bar] Camden Town (NT) 
> [Blue Token on Camden Town] [Opening MC] [Straddling to
Mornington 
> Crescent] 

> 10 mins | LV+3 
> 20 mins | Chocolate Bar 
> 0 mins | LV+1 from the High Station 

Actually, you've over-egged the pudding there - Highgate to MC is only a 
distance of 5, so in fact you have missed Camden Town entirely. 

As I imply in my subject line, such cavilling is in fact entirely futile 
since all it will take is a slight adjustment to fix that inconsistency. 

I'm afraid I had overlooked both the bonus for the High station, and the 
possibility of straddling from Camden Town. I had assumed that you could 
only reach Camden Town, and that I would be able to shunt you from my 
position of Baker Street (which, Paul, was my rather simplistic cunning 
plan). 

Still, a fine win and, subject to correcting the Move itself, I freely 
acknowledge its validity. 

-- 
Dunx 
IRL: Duncan Ellis, Senior Software Engineer, Business Modelers, Oracle 
<I work for Oracle, I don't speak for them>

---

From: Kevan Davis <kdavis@i...>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 14:09:46 +0100 (BST)

>distance of 5, so in fact you have missed Camden Town entirely. 

Not really - the LV+1 from the High Station doesn't take effect until the
end of the Turn, for some reason. Very counter-intuitive, and it means
that I can't take advantage of it during my Move.

>since all it will take is a slight adjustment to fix that inconsistency. 

Likewise my neglect to update Camden Town's Token Stack. Which I should
really do, I suppose, so that we end on a legal GSD...

>possibility of straddling from Camden Town.

I'd quite overlooked the Straddle, and was preparing to just sit tight
at Camden and Block Euston, taking control of the Drone to stop anyone
sending him after me. Pleasantly surprised to realise I didn't have to.
(Although didn't we used to have a Rule against not Straddling away
from a Stack after dropping a Token on it?)

>acknowledge its validity. 

My thanks. All it needs is Grimace's nod, now.

Any preferences for Game 10 at all, by the way?

Kevan

--
kdavis@i... - http://www.innotts.co.uk/~elusive/kevan - UIN: 5998366
"So let us go soon, to the street shaped like the moon."
-- David Devant and his Spirit Wife, "Life on a Crescent"

---

From: Graeme Jefferis <Graeme.Jefferis@f...>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 15:09:14 +0100

>Not really - the LV+1 from the High Station doesn't 
>take effect until the end of the Turn, for some reason.
>Very counter-intuitive, and it means that I can't take 
>advantage of it during my Move.

Oh, grief: how silly. Would that stand up to PoO-ing?

>My thanks. All it needs is Grimace's nod, now.

Certainly. *Nods*, and congratulations.

>Any preferences for Game 10 at all, by the way?

Not having access to the web, and thus the ruleset, at
work any more, I really can't say for a minute; though
ISTR Chalk Farm '84 looked interesting.

-Graeme.