Subject: MN: Move length and duration judgement

From: "Wayper, Paul" <WayperP@p...>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 08:41:40 +1000

Good morning.

What I believe I'm being asked to judge is whether a move can go beyond
its currently allotted time before the entire move is finished. I'm
broadening my remit somewhat, so as to not only cover the [Game Time:
+0n00] action, but also in the future where we might have
time-travelling or specific actions allowing any length of move
(although I don't advocate these proposals :-). I see this as
essentially the same question.

The question seems to ride on the meaning of the phrase "in sequence" in
the first paragraph of Rule 1.13.3 (Carol Vorderman's Revenge). The
first paragraph of the Rule states:

"Any Action or the movement of the Player's Piece shall have a
duration of ten minutes of Game Time unless otherwise specified. Actions
and Piece movement occur in sequence such that the total duration of a
Player's Turn is calculated by adding the durations of the individual
components."

In this context, "in sequence" applies to the "Actions and Piece
movement", specifically to the calculation of the total duration of a
Player's Turn. "In sequence" would seem to imply that actions cannot be
overlaid so that two actions are performed in the same time.

dave and Kevan both admit that "in sequence" could also mean that the
Turn must be of legal duration at every step of the calculations.
However, this paragraph does not mention the legal length of the Turn at
all. The last paragraph of the rule covers it: "A turn may not have a
total duration of more than one hour of Game Time (unless otherwise
permitted or specified)." The total duration of a Turn can only be
calculated at the end of the Turn, which would include any Actions to
extend the Turn duration. I can see no reasoning in the rules (either
in 1.13.3 or elsewhere) which states the contrary.

I judge that a Turn's duration is only calculated at the end of the
Turn, and thus Kevan's move is an Officially Legal Move.

Enjoy your freem.

Paul Wayper -- DPI ITS Computer Systems Officer
_____________________________________________________________________
SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
If it doesn't seem to work, contact me and I'll fix it. (c) 1998 PJW