Subject: MN: Year 2, Week 18: Proposals

From: Kevan Davis <kdavis@i...>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 20:29:05 +0100 (BST)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORNINGTON NOMIC

Proposals for Voting on in Year Two, Week Eighteen
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 477 - Shunt by Polite Society [Multiple]

1. Shunt of the Litter [Amendment]

Reword Rule 1.10.1 (A Shunting We Will Go) to:-

If a Player Moves to a Station that is already occupied and has an LV
greater than zero, e can perform the Action "[Shunting <Player> to
<Station>]" to Shunt a Player from that Station to another Station of the
Actioning Player's choice, so long as it fits all of the following
criteria:-

* There are 'n-1' Stations between it and the Shunted Player's initial
location (where 'n' is the Actioning Player's Line Velocity), or there
are less than 'n-1' Stations between it and the Shunted Player's
initial location, and it is also a Terminus Station.

* The Line Code of the Station to which the Shunted Player is Shunted 
is the same as one of the Lines which serves the Shunted Player's
initial location.

* It is not Mornington Crescent, and the Shunted Player's initial
location is neither Dollis Hill nor a Holy Station.

Blocked Stations, closed Lines or any criteria which would normally
place the target Station out of reach do not restrict the choice of
target Station.

When a Shunt has been successfully performed, the Shunted Player's Piece
is moved to the specified Station, and both Shunter and Shuntee have
their Line Velocity reduced to zero.

The Shunting Player may also claim a single Token or Possession from the
Shunted Player upon successful performance of a Shunt; this is chosen by
the Shunting Player from the collection of Tokens and Possessions that
the Shunted Player owns. (If the Shunted Player possesses a Money Belt,
neither Tokens nor the Money Belt itself may be claimed during the
Shunt.)

Stacks of Tokens may be Shunted as though they were Players. This is 
performed in the usual way; the Name of the Stack being 'Token Stack'. 
It is illegal to shunt Token Stacks to Stations which already have Token
Stacks on them.

A typical excerpt from the Game State Document for a normal Shunt would
be:-

Brooke-Taylor : Gunnersbury (DS) 
Cryer : Finsbury Park (PD) 
Garden : Euston (VC) 
Rushton : Euston (NT) [Shunting Garden to Moorgate (NT)]

{ Comments : Losing the Shunting of more than one Player at once, for
simplicity's sake (it never having been used), losing the
"can't Shunt someone to a Blocked Station" restriction
(which seems rather pointless if you can Shunt them past
it, or to a Damaged Station, or whatever), losing the
rather odd restriction about not being able to loot a
Token Stack prior to Shunting it, losing the "can't Shunt
back to where the Actioning Player came from" clause (a
somewhat crude hack I put in way back when I first Proposed
this, to keep the Shunt in the right Line Direction; we
might as well allow Shunts in any direction).

And adding a "you can't Shunt with an LV of zero" clause,
which I was surprised not to see.
}

2. Superfluity [Amendment]

Remove the paragraph beginning "Stacks of Tokens may be shunted..." from
Rule 1.14.1 (Stacks of Fun).

3. Shunt-uppa-your-face [Amendment]

Reword Rule 1.10.2 (Line 'Em Up, Knock 'Em Down) to:-

If a Player Shunts another Player to an occupied Station, e may perform
the Action "[Double-Shunting <Player> to <Station>]", where "<Player>" is
a Player at the occupied Station, and "<Station>" is a valid Double-Shunt
destination for the Double-Shunted Player.

The validity and rewards of a Double-Shunt are identical to that of a
normal Shunt, treated as if the Actioning Player Shunted the Double-
Shunted Player directly, except that the Actioning Player's LV is
considered to be that which it was during eir Move (since it will have
been set to zero by the first Shunt).

Token Stacks may be involved in Double Shunts; however, a Player may not
be Double-Shunted if the target of the original Shunt was a Token Stack.

Triple (or greater multiple) Shunts may be set up and played under the
same principles, but no Player may be Shunted more than once as a result
of the same Move.

For every Double, Triple, Quadruple or other multiple Shunt performed,
the Actioning Player gains one Silver Token.

{ Comments : Bringing it down to a few paragraphs, trimming extraneous
repetition and example. } 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 478 - Dead-End Shunts [Action]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Rule Duration Cost
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Dead-End Shunting <Player> to 1.7.x 10 mins -1 Re
<Station>]
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any Player may perform the post-Move Action of "[Dead-End Shunting
<Player> to <Station>]", where "<Player>" is a Player situated at the
Actioning Player's current location, and "<Station>" is a Terminus
Station which is also a valid Shunt destination as described in Rule
1.10.1.

A Dead-End Shunt is identical in execution and effect to a normal Shunt,
except that the Actioning Player may not claim any Tokens or Possessions
from the Shunted Player, and the Shunted Player loses one Token of each
colour, if e has any of that colour. These Tokens are destroyed.

A Dead-End Shunted Token Stack is destroyed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 479 - Millinery Coup [Multiple]

1. People Aren't Wearing Enough Hats [Amendment]

Add the following Possessions to the list in Rule 1.4.18:-

+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+
| Hard Hat | 2 Br | |
| Silly Hat | 2 Br | |
+---------------------+------+---------------------------------+

2. A Favour from the Marquis [Amendment]

To Rule 1.7.20 (Busking), add the following paragraph:-

If a Player is carrying a Silly Hat, e may choose instead to gain the
Token Bonus for any instrument listed above the one e is using.

3. The Full Montero [Amendment]

Reword Rule 1.4.6 (You Can Leave Your Hat On) to:-

There exist seven categories of Hat - A to Z, British Rail, Compass,
Hard, Silly, Terminus and Verdant. "Hard" and "Silly" Hats can only
be purchased (see Rule 1.4.18), but the other Hat types may be
claimed from Stations of the same type.

A Player may perform the Action "[Collecting Hat (<Type>)]" if e is
situated at a Station which a Hat of the specified type may be claimed
from, and if e is not carrying a Hat of that type already.

A Player may perform the Action "[Cashing in Hats]" if e is situated
at Bank and is carrying an A to Z, British Rail, Compass, Terminus
and Verdant Hat; upon performing this Action e loses all of those
Hats and gains two Gold and two Silver Tokens.

Any Player may perform the Action "[Knocking <Type> Hat off <Player>]";
if the specified Player is carrying a Hat of the specified type, it
is destroyed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Dunx (Duncan Ellis)" <DELLIS@U...>
Date: 26 Aug 98 09:33:54 +0100

>Proposal 477 - Shunt by Polite Society [Multiple] 

I'm quite happy with most of the rewording here, but (and it's a big but) 
this new version omits the condition that the Shunting Player must be on 
the same Line as the Shuntee. 

There are two reasons why this is significant: 

1. this restriction was the quid pro quo for allowing line changes during 
a Shunt 

2. requiring the Shunter and the Shuntee to be on the same line prevents 
oddities like a Shunt at a fire damaged station where the Shunting 
Player arrives on a different Line to the Shuntee. 

I'd be happy for this omission to be PoO'd, but if it's not fixed then 
I'll be voting against. 

>Proposal 478 - Dead-End Shunts [Action] 

Interesting... a way of destroying Golds when a Money Belt is owned. 

>1. People Aren't Wearing Enough Hats [Amendment] 

As a committed hat wearer, I couldn't agree more. 

> Token Bonus for any instrument listed above the one e is using. 

The current ordering of instruments means that this wording works (the point 
presumably being that if you own a Casiotone you can claim the Harmonica or 
Drum bonuses), but if the instrument order were changed (eg so that they
were 
listed in descending order of price) then bad things could happen. 

Still, not enough to scupper the Proposal. And the introduction of Silly 
Hats is welcome. 

-- 
Dunx 
IRL: Duncan Ellis, Senior Software Engineer, Business Modelers, Oracle 
<I work for Oracle, I don't speak for them>

---

From: Kevan Davis <kdavis@i...>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 17:11:11 +0100 (BST)

>the same Line as the Shuntee. 

Tsk. Yes. I overlooked that aspect of the original's wording. Careless.

>I'd be happy for this omission to be PoO'd, but if it's not fixed then 

PoO'ing it does seem a bit cheeky, really - giving the green light to people
fixing careless but drastic errors in their Proposals is probably something
we shouldn't do, otherwise the list could be awash with "Well, Grimace had
a good point about that bit; I'll PoO it to fix things" postings throughout
each Week. I'll just throw out an Eprop to fix it if it passes.

>were listed in descending order of price) then bad things could happen. 

True enough, yes, but it seemed easier than saying "any other Instrument
which isn't more expensive", since it'd require the reader to keep flipping
between the price list and reward table. I can't see the order ever being
changed, myself - on the off-chance it does, we need only amend a tiny bit
of wording to maintain coherency.

>Still, not enough to scupper the Proposal. And the introduction of Silly 

Such foolish jester-style affairs were far, far too prevalent during my
most recent visit to London, so it seemed a logical addition...

Kevan

--
kdavis@i... - http://www.innotts.co.uk/~elusive/kevan - UIN: 5998366
"In the things I left behind me, in the sky that does surround me."
-- Strangelove, "She's Everywhere"