Subject: Re: MN: Questions

From: "Dunx (Duncan Ellis)" <DELLIS@U...>
Date: 23 Nov 98 10:18:53 +0000

>Say I end my turn at an Interchange; for example, Oxford Circus, which 
>services (BL), (VC), and (CN), and I've arrived from Marble Arch (CN). If 
>I want to move to Regent's Park (BL) on my next turn, do I have to pay a 
>black token for a Line Change action, even though I'm starting my turn at 
>an interchange for that line? It would seem to me that the cost should 
>only apply to line changes made mid-move, say a move from Marble Arch to 
>Regent's Park made in only one turn. 

You do have to pay the Line Change toll, since your Piece starts the Turn 
on a different Line to the one you wish to travel on. 

A Piece's location is defined by both Station and Line. In Real Life terms, 
a passenger can only be on one platform at a given time. To change line 
requires some trudging around tunnels to get to the right platform - in 
MN this is represented by paying a Black Token. 

>And a related question: In this situation, would I get the token bonus for 
>making a move on only one line? 

No. 

>Unrelated Question: If a station qualifies for more than one type of hat, 
>can you claim multiple hats from that station in the same turn? 

No. 

That restriction doesn't come from Rule 1.4.6, but from the more general 
Rule that you cannot play more than one Action of a particuler type (unless 
specifically allowed for otherwise) - Rule 1.2.0. Since [Collecting Hat] 
says you can only pick up one Hat with each play of the Action, and does not 
explicitly state that you can play the Action more than once, the net result 
is that you can only pick up one Hat at once. 

-- 
Dunx 
IRL: Duncan Ellis, Senior Software Engineer, Business Modelers, Oracle 
<I work for Oracle, I don't speak for them>

---

From: Mr Wild Pants <mwp@v...>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 21:07:37 +0000

Hello Nomic Types,

Dunx has semi-convinced me to play MN after i've taken the light task of
reading the rules. Could someone direct me towards the complete ruleset,
please? 

Feel free to send about if this is somewhere really blatant, but having
scanned the last few games, i couldn't find it.

Cheers,
-- 
Mr Wild Pants

---

From: duncan@l... (Duncan Ellis)
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 07:38:22 GMT

>reading the rules. Could someone direct me towards the complete ruleset,
I'm glad my maunderings on Saturday had some kind of effect... welcome, sir.

Kevan subsequently replied:
:A good summary, there. We could really use something like that on the Web
:page. Or (whisper it) in the Ruleset itself. 
I made a start on a Beginners' Guide - maybe I should finish that off! The
idea was to explain (inevitably, my own view) about how the game fits
together. The dangers with this would be twofold: first that a separate
document would have to be associated with a particular ruleset version
(although most of the fundamental concepts haven't changed for ages); and
secondly that my own interpretation of the rules would pollute others' views
and stifle innovative play.

I was also pondering a Proposal for an Annotated Game Special Ruleset, where
comments made become part of the GSD itself. 

Still - back to the salt mines.

Dunx
--
Ceci n'est pas un .sig