Subject: MN: re-jigged possible new GSD idea...

From: kenningd@w... (L'homme a tete de choux)
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 15:49:28 +0100

The following reworking of my idea for a changed GSD format takes into
consideration soe of the comments made on the earlier version and adds a line
for damaged stations (of course, such things need only be added ad hoc -- if
you have no wild or damaged stations, there's no need to take up that space in
the GSD).

Two things -- first, I've reinstated home stations, which I think is probably a
good thing (for convenience's sake) but I think it would be also be a good
thing to list tokens and LV before them in the GSD as I personally think it
makes it easier to read. Also, I agree that abbreviating possessions is not
necessarily a good idea, so we may as well use the space to list home stations.
rather than leave it blank. 

Second, while I agree that the 'other' section has limited use, I think it
could come in handy, besides which I'm not over keen on the current 'drone
stick' solution -- I don't mind the principle but I think it should be kept
separate from other types of possessions, and an 'other' section would, in my
view, be ideal. I think the more compact rendition of the token table is an
improvement (cheers), and it also means there is more space for such things as
an 'other' section. I also think it would be useful to have a handy indication
of who is in spoon (or whatever other handicaps and conditions may be
introduced to the game later...)

Anyway, this is just my slant on the problem that needs solving. The GSD will
never be particularly small, but that's a function of the amount of information
that needs to be recorded in it. What we really need to aim for, I reckon, is
something that's more compact and easier to read than the current style.

By the way, I'm not sure if there is an actual restriction on length of names
-- at least I can't find it in the rules if there is. Anyone?

dave

**********

+----------+----------------+-------------+---------------+-------------------+
| GAME: 32 | TIME: Wed 1700 | CIRCLE: <-- | BRIDGES: down | Out of Knip |
+----------+----------------+-------------+---------------+-------------------+
| WILD: Rickmansworth, Beckton, Ealing Broadway |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| DAMAGED: Angel, Victoria, Royal Oak, Custom House, Hainault, Cockfosters |
+=======================+==============+=======================+==============+
| Mile End | BkBuBuReSiBk | Amersham | BkBkSiRe |
| Epping | BrBkRe | Ealing Broadway | Bk |
| Chalfont & Latimer | ReBkBkBkBu | Charing Cross | Susp Package |
+=========+==+==========+========+=====+=======================+==============+
| Player |LV| Bk Bu Br Go Re Si | Home Station | Other |
+---------+--+-------------------+-----------------------------+--------------+
| Willie | 8| 4 0 5 1 3 1 | Chorleywood | |
| Tim | 4| 3 2 4 2 4 1 | Dagenham Heathway | Spoon |
| Drone | 6| 1 2 2 0 1 1 | | |
| Graeme |10| 7 1 4 0 6 3 | Tooting Bec | Drone Stick |
+---------+--+-------------------+-----------------------------+--------------+
| Willie | Zone 1 Pass, Hats (ACV) |
| Tim | Railcard, Chocolate Bar, Marmalade Sandwich, Hats (TV), Harmonica |
| Graeme | Zones 1-3 Pass, Railcard, Hats (AOTV) |
+---------+-------------------------------------------------------------------+