Subject: [MacroNomic] Major Complications in Proposals

From: "Brian Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 Sep 98 01:07:02 -0400

Well, we have what I just realized are major problems in the
rules/proposals. First, I buy an extra acre of vote farms (before anything
happens to the proposals), just to be on the safe side.

I think that I'm still the Active Secretarylet of Friendship (The Kid never
explicitly, that I can find, said otherwise). Also, there were many typos
in proposal 181, so that it said:

QUOTE
	Replace the last paragraph of rule 1-1 with "The Secretary of Truth
has 5 Official Farms."
	Replace the last paragraph of rule 1-1 with "The Secretary of
Friendship has 3 Official Farms."
	Replace the last paragraph of rule 1-1 with "The Secretary of
Economics has 5 Official Farms."

	Add the following to the end of rule 1-10, "The Secretary of Justice,
Secretary of the University, and the Secretary of Games each receive 2
Official Farms."
QUOTE

Instead of what it meant:

NEWQUOTE
	Replace the last paragraph of rule 1-0-1 with "The Secretary of Truth
has 5 Official Farms."
	Replace the last paragraph of rule 1-0-2 with "The Secretary of
Friendship has 3 Official Farms."
	Replace the last paragraph of rule 1-0-3 with "The Secretary of
Economics has 5 Official Farms."

	Add the following to the end of rule 1-0-10, "The Secretary of Justice,
Secretary of the University, and the Secretary of Games each receive 2
Official Farms."
NEWQUOTE

Now I interpreted this as a spelling error, and therefore corrected it in
the proposals and the rules. However, I then realized that because I was
still the Active Secretarylet of Friendship, I am the one that can use the
3 official farms. However, this rests on the reasoning that changing 1-1 to
what Henry really meant was merely correcting a spelling error. However, if
this reasoning doesn't hold, then the only people to recive any type of
compensation by this new rule are JT and Henry (the SoE, SoJ, SoU, SoG).
Because of this question, though, it is not possible to determine the
results of the voting for any later proposals. So what I've done is follow
my line of logic in determining the results of the proposals, but not
update the Rules until we can sort this out (also since it would take a
long time to make all the modifications to the rules from 20 proposals
anyways).

--- Brian Campbell (AKA lambda)
Visit my webpage: http://world.std.com/~campbell/Brian/
Visit the Latin Club webpage: http://world.std.com/~lambda/
Visit the MacroNomic webpage: http://world.std.com/~lambda/macronomic/

----------
Nihil sub sole novum.

---

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 23:19:14 -0700 (PDT)

>Secretary of the University, and the Secretary of Games each receive 2

I'd have to say (and I don't like it even though it benefits me) that in
fact the last paragraph of rule 1-1 (the only paragraph) got trashed
unfortunately, since the english was pretty explicit.  Even though you and
I know that it is in fact an error, I don't think you have the leeway to
reinterpret this.   Had he named the section as well as just giving the
number, I think you would have been okay, but in the current situation I
believe that secretarylets got munched and only else...if and I got the
farms benefit.

>long time to make all the modifications to the rules from 20 proposals

Submit a CFJ I'd say, but I think that the 'correct' interpretation would
be since section 1-1 was clear and a valid section, then the erroneous
change occured.

--JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]