Subject: Re: [MacroNomic] Propcomm offer

From: "Brian Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Jul 98 00:54:56 -0400

>I also offer Dan 1 Term, 1 Idea and 2 Words.

I will offer him the same. We need some way for new players to get at least
one mine, or perhaps a welfare system, especially since we want to attract
some more players as Narf, TGW, and AKA TheWiz have left. Any thoughts?

--- Brian Campbell (AKA lambda)
Visit my webpage: http://world.std.com/~campbell/Brian/
Visit the Latin Club webpage: http://world.std.com/~lambda/
Visit the MacroNomic webpage: http://world.std.com/~lambda/macronomic/

----------
Nihil sub sole novum.

---

From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 08:36:31 -0400

>some more players as Narf, TGW, and AKA TheWiz have left. Any thoughts?
	We should get rid of mines.  You get your commodities back when a
proposal passes anyway, instead you should get one extra commodity of your
choice when a proposal of yours passes.  Newbies get two or three of each
type.  If commodities get replaced then we have no need of mines.
	As for attracting new players, we should do that.  Anyone have any
ideas?  What would make you want to join a nomic?

>Oops, sorry, I compiled this message after not having slept for 36 hours. I
	They sucked you into another of those 24 hour plays, didn't they?

--
-Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

---

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 07:15:36 -0700 (PDT)

>type.  If commodities get replaced then we have no need of mines.

I'd be in favor of this :) (It was nice to try them out.  I don't see them
working out very well).  I'd also make a similar comment about farm acres.
If new players cannot get any weight to their vote, they won't stick
around.  (although, I will note that a vote of loyal without farms still
works :)  However, their proposals would be more at the mercy of the rest
of the game since their own vote for it wouldn't even help.

This is a trickier task.. I like the idea of a fixed commodity like the
farms.  I don't like that new players get shafted (once we have 3 more new
ones, the 4th gets no votes).

>ideas?  What would make you want to join a nomic?

For me, it's the level of activity, and hearing or seeing about it, as
well as the atmosphere of the game.   I joined Ackanomic because Slakko
had told me about it, then Hubert did and both of them said really good
things about it.  I joined here because I'd been in the previous
incarnation, and the premise was amusing enough to stay.  I know that I
would not want to be the 4th new player under the current game state
however.

--JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

---

From: Frank Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 17:48:55 +0200

> ideas?  What would make you want to join a nomic?

I don't think it would work. If you lose 3 comms when a prop fails,
but get only one extra if it passes, 75% of your props have to pass
to let you survive... quite unlikely for a newbie. If you don't discuss
them before you propose them, they probably fail since people don't
like them, and if you discuss them, someone else might find a tiny
mistake in it, make an almost identical prop and run with the rewards.
I think one should get one of each comm each week, or more than
one comm reward for those who have few comms, or both.

On a related point, I think we should either think up a system that
needs different combinations of propcomms for different tasks
(e.g. repeals or renumberings need just 1 term, papers 1 idea and
1 word etc.) or, if we don't want that, dump the whole propcomm
system.

On Vote Farms, I think we should keep the 100 acre limit, but change
the way acres are dealt to new players. I was just going to propose
the following: Each of us current players loses 3 acres to the state,
letting each own 7 acres if no farms are traded. Each new player gets
10%, rounded up, of what is currently owned by the state. This takes
away the initial vote equality, but keeps the global limit of 100 acres,
and still leaves room for new players. If we 7 stay, the next 5 people
would get 6, 5, 4, 4 and 4 acres.

Ember

---

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:58:14 -0700 (PDT)

>one comm reward for those who have few comms, or both.

Either that or have some sort of 'soft penalty' whereby a person isn't
charged commodities until after they have had 10 props pass (or some other
arbitrary number)

>1 word etc.) or, if we don't want that, dump the whole propcomm

I'd certainly like to see comodities used for different things.

>would get 6, 5, 4, 4 and 4 acres.

The problem there is 2 fold.  It establishes a secondary class of citizens
and it gets worse over time.  It eventually hits the same wall as the
current system, just further out in time.

--JT

---

From: Aidan McLoughlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 11:07:03 +0100

>some more players as Narf, TGW, and AKA TheWiz have left. Any thoughts?

thanks for the offer i here by accept all/any outstanding offers that give
me something for nothing that i have not already accepted :)

Dan

  /================================================================\
  | Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.  |
  | But on the other hand, you have different fingers. --  :)      |
  \================================================================/