Subject: [MacroNomic] New Proposals

From: "Brian Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Jul 98 22:52:32 -0400

Here are the current proposals. I have not yet decided on my votes. Once
again, I have not updated the web site yet (I've been quite busy for the
past few days), but here they are in plain text form:

112: JT Traub
Date: July 1/8, 1998
Create a section 3-2-2-2-1 titled 'Prior Knowledge' with the following
PRESCIENCE delimited text.
PRESCIENCE
It is the Crime of Prior Knowledge for the Secretary of Truth to submit
a proposal which relies on the fact that the Secretary of Truth knows
about upcoming proposals in advance of their distribution.
PRESCIENCE

------------------

113: JT Traub
Date: July 1/8, 1998
This proposal will do a couple of things.  First, it will attempt to
organize the information about secretaries into neat heirarchy.  Second,
it will give a method for rewarding secretaries for doing their jobs well.

Amend Section 1-0 'Generic Secretaryships' to read as delimited by ADMIN
ADMIN
There exists the class of Secretaries.

A Secretary is always exactly one player.

Rules may refer to Secretariatships being vacant, though this reference is
to the hypothetical situation in which the Secretariatship is not
immediately filled. 

A Secretary may be required to maintain one or more public documents in
the course of performing the secretaryship.  Unless such documents are
mandated by the rules, the Secretary is not required to maintain it, but
might do so for their and other's convenience.  A Document mandated in
this fashion is managed by the secretary who is required to maintain it.

Any Secretary except for the Secretary of the Central Committee may step
down from their position in favor of another consenting player.

A secretary may recieve compensation as defined by the rules for
fulfilling their duties.
ADMIN

Renumber Section 1-1 to section 1-0-1.

Create a section numbered 1-0-2 titled 'Secretary of Truth' with the
following text as delimited by TRUEORFALSE
TRUEORFALSE
There exists the Secretary of Truth.
It is the responsibility of the Secretary of Truth to maintain the
document refered to as "The Rules of Macronomic".
The Secretary of Truth shall be compensated by being allowed to operate
the State Mines once a week without a cost of loyalty in addition to any
other allowed uses of the State Mines.
TRUEORFALSE

Create a section numbred 1-0-3 titled 'Secretary of Friendship' with the
following text as delimited by FRIENDLY
FRIENDLY
There exists the Secretary of Friendship.
The Secretary of Friendship must maintain a document containing the
current Loyalty scores of all players.
The Secretary of Friendship recieves compensation of 1 random proposal
commodity each week.
FRIENDLY

Create a section numbered 1-0-4 titled 'Secretary of Justice' with the
following JUDGE delimited text
JUDGE
There exists the Secretary of Justice.
JUDGE

Create a section numbered 1-0-5 titled 'Secretary of Love' with the 
following OHBABY delmited text
OHBABY
There exists the Secretary of Love.
OHBABY

Create a section numbered 1-0-6 titled 'Secretary of Economics' with the
following MONEY delimited text
MONEY
There exists the Secretary of Economics.
The Secretary of Economics must maintain a public document showing which
Objects each player currently manages.
The Secretary of Economics recieves 1 random commodity each week as
compensation.
MONEY

Create a section numbered 1-0-7 titled 'Secretary of MicroNomic Foreign
Affairs' with the following MICRO delimited text
MICRO
There exists the Secretary of MicroNomic Foreign Affairs.
The same player (other than the Secretary of the Central Committee) may
not hold both this Secretaryship and the Seargent of the Occupying Force
in Command of Foreign Matters.
MICRO

Create a section numbered 1-0-8 titled 'Seargent of the Occupying Force in
Command of Foreign Matters' witht he following PNOMIC delimited text
PNOMIC
There exists the Seargent of the Occupying Force in Command of Foreign
Matters.
The same player (other than the Secretary of the Central Committee) may
not hold both this and the Secretary for MicroNomic Foreign Affairs.
PNOMIC

Create a section numbered 1-0-9 titled 'Secretary of the University' with
the following CUMLAUDE delimited text
CUMLAUDE
There exists the Secretary of the University.
CUMLAUDE

Amend section 6-0-0 to replaces 'Secretary of Friendship' with 'Secretary
of Economics'.
Amend section 6-0-1 to remove the list item numbered 1, and renumber the
remaining items starting with 1.
(The above just makes one secretary manage all objects, which is a good
thing.  I just happened to notice it while doing this reorge, so did it
here)

Renumber section 2-3-0 to section 1-0-10

Now some cleanup.
If rule section 4-2 exists, remove the following text from it, as
delimited by GONE
GONE
Both positions are Secretaries, and none can be held by the same player as
the Secretary of Love or each other, unless multiple ones are held by the
SoCC. 
GONE

If rule section 7 exists, create the following rule section 1-0-11 titled
'Secretary of Entertainment' with the following GAMES delimited text
GAMES
There exists the Secretary of Entertainment.
GAMES

------------------

114: Henry Towsner
Date: July 4/8, 1998
        Create rule 0-5, "Links" and give it the following
HTML-delimited text
HTML
        A rule may contain a link to another rule.  A link consists of
a legitimate rule number enclosed in parenthasies with nothing else in
the parenthasies..  When a rule is moved, all links to that rule
should change as well.  The Secretary of Truth may change where a link
points by publicly announcing the change, however the change is
invalid if the link does not point at the same content that it
originally pointed at.
HTML
        Comment: This is NOT intended to point to essential things
that could be messed up if the link is moved.  It is intended
primarily for reference, as shown in the rest of this proposal.

        Create Rule 1-10 named "Other Secretaryships" reading as
delimited by MOREMOREMORE
        Other Secretaryships are the Secretary of Friendship (2-0),
the Secretary of the Proletariat (2-3-0), the Secretary of Truth
(3-1), the Secretary of Justice (3-2-0), the Secretary of Love (4-0),
the Assistant Secretary for MicroNomic Foreign Affairs (4-2), the
Seargent of the Occupying Force in Command of Foreign Matters (4-2),
the Secretary of the University (5), and the Secretary of Economics
(6-0-1).
MOREMOREMORE
        If proposal 101 has passed, replace "(4-2)" with "(4-1)"
wherever it appears in rule 1-10.
        If proposal 102 has passed, insert "the Secretary of
Entertainment (7), " before "and".

        Create rule 3-10, named "Other Referenda" reading as delimited
by YETMORE
YETMORE
        Other types of Referenda include Papers (5).
YETMORE
	If proposal 101 has passed add ", INPs (4-0-0) and INCFJs (4-0-1)"
before the period.
        If proposal 102 has passed replace the word "and" with a comma and
add "and RPGs (7)" before the period.
        If proposal 105 has passed replace "5" with "5-1".

------------------

115: Henry Towsner
Date: July 4/8, 1998
	Replace "obtains" in rule 3-1 with "occured".
	Change rule 3 to read the same as rule 3-0 and remove rule 3-0.
	[Those were some minor asjustments I noticed when I was doing this,
the actual purpose of the proposal:]
	In rule 3-1, in step 3 of the instructions for proposal resolution
replace "receive fifteen loyalty points" with "receive twenty loyalty
points" and replace "ten loyalty points if e is" with "fifteen loyalty
points if e is".
	[The reward for a successful proposal should be bigger than the
penalty for a failed one, and non-RP should still get more than RP.]

------------------

116: JT Traub
Date: July 7/8 1998
Amend section 2-2 (The Revolutionary Party) to replace the following
RACE delmited text
RACE
If a player who is not a member of the Revolutionary Party is at least
twice as loyal as a member of the Revolutionarty Party, then they may
replace that member of the Revolutionary Party by privately notifying the
Secretary of Friendship of such a change.
RACE
with the following WINNER delimited text
WINNER
If a player who is not a mmber of the Revolutionary Party is at least
twice as loyal as a member of the Revolutionary Party, and is more Loyal
than all other players who are not members of the Revolutionary Party,
then they may replace that member of the Revolutionary Party by privately
notifying the Secretary of Friendship of such a change.
WINNER

------------------

117: Towsner
Date: July 7/8 1998
	Rewrite section 6-0-1 to read as delimited by RETRADE
RETRADE
	Any object that is defined as a tradeable object may be exchanged between
players.  A player initiates a trade by publicly stating the offer and what
if anything is required in return and the type of trade.  Unless otherwise
specified in the rules objects may only be trade in positive integer
quantities and a player may not offer more of an object then they have.  A
trade may only include tradeable objects.  Any player who owns enough of
everything required in return may accept the offer publicly.

	A trade may be either an instance trade or a repeated trade.  If the trade
is an instance trade then as soon as it is accepted the objects are
transfered.  When a repeated trade is offered the offering player must also
specify under what conditions the trade should occur.  Whenever those
conditions occur, the trade happens.  The conditions for a repeated trade
may only involve times and dates, not things happening in the game.
RETRADE

------------------

118: Towsner
Date: July 7/8 1998
	Replace the second sentence of rule 0-1-0-3 (this is the rule about
brackets, and the snetence about judges using them) with "They set legal
precedent."
	Insert after "the spirit of the rules," in rule 3-2-1 with "legal
precedent,"
	Replace the second sentence of rule 3-2-1 (about CFJs being the
interpretation for the rules) with "CFJs set legal precedent for future
CFJs."

------------------

118: Towsner
Date: July 7/8 1998
	Replace the first paragraph of rule 3-1 with the following:
	"Proposals are a subclass of Referenda. The subclass of Proposals has the
default properties of a subclass of Referenda, and Proposals have the
default properties of Referenda, with the following exceptions: 
	The Accountant of Proposals is the Secretary of Truth.
	The text of a proposal must explicitly and unambiguously describe one or
more changes to the gamestate.
	A player may not make a proposal unless e has manages of each type of
Proposal Commodity. If a player does not manage the materials needed, then
e can not make a proposal. The materials are lost by the player
constructing the proposal as they are used up in the process.
	There is an additional state, reactive.
	The Secretary of Truth may notify any player during the preactive stage of
eir proposal if eir proposal conflicts with any other currently preactive
proposal, and how e may change eir proposal to conform with the other. The
first beginning of a Macronomic Week that occurs after a proposal is
created, The Secretary of Truth must distribute that proposal, thereby
making it Active.
	Exactly 5 days after a proposal becomes active or reactive, unless the
rules specify otherwise, the proposal becomes inactive. If a proposal would
become inactive but less than half of the players have made votes on it
other than NONE, the proposal becomes reactive instead.  When a proposal
becomes inactive without having been retracted, the Secretary of Truth
announces all votes and the following steps will be performed by the
appropriate officers."
	In step 1 of rule 3-1 add "or Reactive" after "Active".
	Add ", Reactive" after "Active" in the paragraph immediately after the
instructions in rule 3-1.
	Add "or reactive" after "Active" in the next paragraph after that.

------------------

119: Dan
Date: July 8/8 1998
Amend "section 3-2-0: Generic Trials" to read in full as delimeted by
JUDGES:

JUDGES

A trial is a subclass of referenda, which may be subclassed further,
changing its attributes. The accountant of a subclass of trial is the
Secretary of Justice. Only the judge or judges have votes on a trial. 
A trial has a single judge randomly selected from all players who did not
initiate it, are not involved in any way in the trial and have graduated.
Valid votes are TRUE and FALSE. If all judges have voted on a trial then it
becomes inactive immediately. There are no criteria for the vote. In
addition to voting, judges may offer reasoning to support their vote.

JUDGES

--- Brian Campbell (AKA lambda)
Visit my webpage: http://world.std.com/~campbell/Brian/
Visit the Latin Club webpage: http://world.std.com/~lambda/
Visit the MacroNomic webpage: http://world.std.com/~lambda/macronomic/

----------
Nihil sub sole novum.

---

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 20:16:22 -0700 (PDT)

I see no reason for my vote to be particularly private and posting them
publically, gives me a chance to comment :)

112: mine
113: mine

114: FOR : I like the rest of what this proposal is attempting to
           accomplish even though it does some of the stuff I did with
           113.  My only comment is that it should probably have made
           links a convention (0-1-0-4) instead.  Even so, that's not
           enough for me to vote against it.
115: FOR
116: mine
117: FOR
118: FOR
(there were two 118's posted by Lambda)
118b: AGAINST : I'm only against this because I'm not quite sure what the
                Reactive stage of the proposals do.  Also, the word 'one'
                was left out of the sentance describing what the player
                needed to manage to submit a proposal.  With that word
                missing, I don't think it would have the correct effect,
                and thus I would urge Towsner to retract this proposal.

119: AGAINST: I think the phrasing 'involved in any way' is vague.  This
              is my only real objection however.

Commodities for the above proposals have been deducted.
All player managed mines have produced.
I perform my weekly trade with Townsner and with Lambda.
I operate the state mines for a Word.

--JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

---

From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 18:34:56 -0400

>                and thus I would urge Towsner to retract this proposal.
        It gets gets revoted on.  The idea is that if less then half of the
players voted on it then it shouldn't pass or fail since not enough people
have expressed an opinion, so we try again the next week.  As for the word
missing, it's missing now, I copied most of that verbatim.  We've been
playing without a problem so far, and I have a pretty good argument that it
still works the way we think it does if a CFJ comes up.

I operate the state mines for a word.

112: FOR
113: FOR This sort of does the work of one of my proposals, but it's a good
proposal.
116: AGAINST, it should be the Secretary of the Proletariat who takes over
117: AGAINST.  JT is right.  We're all involved with most things.  I like
limiting it to graduates though.  I'd recommend retracting it and
resubmitting with players alowed to decline if they are biased (only for
CFJs, NOT for criminal and civil cases)

--
-Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

---

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 15:42:30 -0700 (PDT)

>still works the way we think it does if a CFJ comes up.

Based on Towsner's comment, and the fact that the word is indeed missing
in the current rules, I change my vote on this to FOR.  We should fix that
missing word at some point.

>I operate the state mines for a word.

I'll record this this evening.

>116: AGAINST, it should be the Secretary of the Proletariat who takes over
For most cases, the way I phrased it and the SoProle will be identical.
Only in the case where multiple players have the same score do they
differ, and in that case, I don't think either of them should be able to
oust the RP member.  That was the reason for phrasing it the way I did.

>117: AGAINST.  JT is right.  We're all involved with most things.  I likimiting it to graduates though.  I'd recommend retracting it and

I think you meant 119 here since 117 was yours.

--JT

---

From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 20:21:02 -0400

>missing word at some point.
	I'd recommend that Lambda use an ERROR when he has a chance.  It's
not particularly urgent though (and the ERROR should end after the proposal
finishes).

>oust the RP member.  That was the reason for phrasing it the way I did.
	I'd rather it say "SoProle unless another player has the same
score" (or even better, the SoProle takes only if e has at least 25 LOYALTY
more than the next highest non-RP score).  Not enough to vote against
though, I change my vote to FOR.
	Lambda, I know you're busy at the moment, but have you considered
automated voting?  Scott Goehering (I know I spelled that wrong...)
probably still has the scripts he used for NomicLite, you might be able to
get those from him and use them as a base for something MN specific.  I
don't know if you know CGI, but it's pretty easy, and there are plenty of
people here who can program.

--
-Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

---

From: Aidan McLoughlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 08:08:10 +0100

>              is my only real objection however.

I will propose an ammendment next turn if it bothers you that much.

Perhaps you can suggest a better phrasing (or amend it yourself?)

here are my votes:

112: Loyal, but you havent said what sort of crime prior knowledge is

113: Loyal

114: Loyal

115: Loyal

116: Loyal

117: Loyal, but perhaps it should say "may only involve external events"
instaed of "may only involve times and dates"?

118: Loyal, but i'm not to sure about it, i'll let the mrps decide though

118b: Loyal, but ???????

119: Mine :)

Dan

  /================================================================\
  | Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.  |
  | But on the other hand, you have different fingers. --  :)      |
  \================================================================/

---

From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 08:30:31 -0400

>I will propose an ammendment next turn if it bothers you that much.
	I realize it can be amended, but it would be so easy to make a CFJ
that throws this into chaos that I don't dare vote for it.  I suggest you
retract it and cut your losses.

>instaed of "may only involve times and dates"?
	I though about something broader, but doing that puts much more
work on the SoE.  Dates and times are regular (well, usually.  I suppose
you could make a trade every third full or quarter waxing moon and every
prime day with a 7 or 2 in its date, but it seems unlikely.)  I wouldn't
want to extend this beyond what we're already doing without an OK from JT.

--
-Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

---

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 07:08:48 -0700 (PDT)

>want to extend this beyond what we're already doing without an OK from JT.

I would have actually been a bit stricter and said any time or date period
as defined by the rules (ie once a year, week, month, day, etc)  Those are
rule defined (now).  Quarter and full moons aren't, but I'm willing to
live with it as it is.  I can also see other possible conditionals that
could be added later as well, and probably would have agreed to something
that said 'any publically knowable and verifiable event'.

Speaking of which, did the ITA rework pass that made it the SoEcon's job
to deal with Internomic Trades?  Yes it did (since Lambda has the rules
and props page updated, I could check).  In that case, I offer the SoEcon
job to either Lambda or Towsner if they want it.  If neither of the two of
them want it, I will offer it to whomever wants it. 

--JT