Subject: Re: [MacroNomic] Measly Update

From: "else...if" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 13:57:29 -0700 (PDT)

I've combined my replies into one message.

>Much as I hate to be picky (ok I lied, I enjoy it >really), I never
actually *publicly* declared my >intent to become a member of the RP.
I *privately* >notified the SoM that I replaced Philo as a member,
>and then he publicly announced this. It just so >happened that I was
the SoM at the time.
  No, no.  I very distinctly recall a message from you which said that
you intended to be member of the RP.  You may have been doing so in
the position of an office, but there's no exemption.  (Perhaps there
should be, but that's a seperate issue.)

>>Oh yes, I suppose that covers it. What would people >>think about
changing things so that proposals passing >>don't actually take action
until all proposals that >>round have passed/failed?

>No, I like it the way it is. It seems more logical >this way.
   Yes, but what happens if a player stops being a member of the RP in
the middle of a batch.  That would cause a real mess.  (I've submitted
a fix for this).  Or what if proposal 504 repeals sub-proposals and
505 uses one?  I think that the way to do it would be to apply
proposals based on the game state before any proposals happen so that
changes to proposal related rules only take effect afterwards.

>Yeah, I think that would work well. It'll mean I can >spread out the
work over the week, rather than doing >everything in two days.
   I like it better this way.  It's easier on the rest of us. 
Besides, you don't need to do everything in two days.  You could just
convert proposals to html and prepare an e-mail message all week and
only one day a week do you send the mail and upload the changed
proposal files.

>What do you mean? I was fairly careful to make sure
   The effect is fine, there are just some odd things with the object
hierarchies.  Nothing serious.

>No, we need it for criminal cases too. After all, it >is a criminal
crime to publicly declare one's intent >to join the RP, and JT, The
Kid and I have declared >our intent. If there is no limitation then JT
and I >could be prosecuted when we leave, and The Kid >whenever. And,
as you said, the RP could convict >anyone of treason at any time, so
it doesn't really >make much difference (well, it improves MacroNomics
>image as a just and fair Nomic, without really >decreasing the RP's
power).
   I think there's some sort of misunderstanding about the use of
criminal cases.  Allow me to demonstrate:

Criminal Case 1
Accuser: Henry Towsner
Accused: Ember
Crime: Treason
Judges: Lambda, JT, The Kid
Reasoning:
   Well, not really.  But would you mind convicting him and assigning
no penalty, just to make the point?

   A criminal case has no bearing in reality.  No genuine crimes
should be criminal.  There is no connection between justice and a
criminal case.  Criminal cases are purely for entertainment and
anti-scamming value.
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: Aidan McLoughlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 11:17:42 +0100

>criminal case.  Criminal cases are purely for entertainment and

SHOW TRIALS!!!

sorry, i mean that, from what "else...if" (?) sed, they seem like the old
show trials of Russia, used by Stalin to get rid of anyone he didn't
like.... Oops, this could be quite dangerous.

You can apply a penalty can't you? Yes? well then, i would say that they
have a very strong bearing in reality.  Just because they aren't connected
with justice it doesn't mean that they cant have a powerful effect.  

Dan

  /================================================================\
  | Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.  |
  | But on the other hand, you have different fingers. --  :)      |
  \================================================================/

---

From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 22:22:02 -0400

>with justice it doesn't mean that they cant have a powerful effect.
	I mean that the results are unrelated to what really happened.
Criminal trials shouldn't be used for things we care about because it's
designed to be corrupted.

--
-Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Thank heavens, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and
enjoy it.
		-Logan Pearsall Smith