Subject: Re: [MacroNomic] altering proposals

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 14:55:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, Aidan McLoughlin wrote:
>By George (or whoever) Man, your right.  Nowhere in the rules is it stated
>that a player may not change their *active* proposals, in effect this could
>give very 'interesting' results in the hands of a being consummed with the
>desire for world (or at least nomic) domination.  Now i look closely there
>are any number of possible loopholes in the rules, i hope therefore that,
>since someone has not already achieved omnipotence or something equaly
>boring and killed the game that the populace of this fine nomic is above
>such things as power hunger and greed, (after all we are communist are we
>not?)

No.. Referenda are certainly part of the game state and thus by Section
0-0 may not be altered except as allowed by the rules.

My argument was that a PREactive proposal might be allowed to be changed
due to the phrasing of a rule under very specific circumstances.

So, while I don't doubt that there are in fact paradoxes and scams hiding
within the rulebase even as small as it is, I don't think this is one of
them :)

--JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

---

From: Aidan McLoughlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 10:10:07 +0100

>within the rulebase even as small as it is, I don't think this is one of

That's not what you said:  You said that a player could change their
proposal at the very last second while people are voting on it and achieve
omnipotence or something, that is when the proposal is ACTIVE, not
PREACTIVE, so the rules don't cause much of a problem.  So naturally i
thought that you meant that someone could change their rule at the absolute
last second, i didn't actually think about reading the rules thoroughly to
check :)  

I just wanted an excuse to get Pinky and Brain in there really

Dan

  /================================================================\
  | Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.  |
  | But on the other hand, you have different fingers. --  :)      |
  \================================================================/