Subject: [MacroNomic] Votes

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 19:36:35 -0700 (PDT)

69, 73, 74, and 77 are mine, and I see no need to change my vote on them.

70: FOR
71: FOR
72: FOR
75: AGAINST
76: FOR
78: FOR

I don't see any real need to explain my votes here as the proposals are
pretty self-explanatory.

PROPOSAL Silent Voting
Amend Section 3-0 as follows.
Replace the following VOTING delimited text
VOTING
A player may change eir vote on an Active proposal by notifying the
Accountant of the Subclass of that Referendum of such a change.
VOTING
with the following PRIVATE_VOTE delimited text
PRIVATE_VOTE
A player may change eir vote on an Active Referendum by privately 
notifying the Accountant of the Subclass of that Referendum of such a
change.

Votes on any given type of Referendum remain private until the Referendum
becomes Inactive, at which point they are revealed publically, unless a
specific subclass of Referendum specifies otherwise.
PRIVATE_VOTE

This makes referendums and voting be private by default, which I think is
a good thing.  It also means one cannot predict the way a proposal will go
in advance and thus change vote (if voting in a specific direction ever
gains any meaning).
It of course (by the definition of private notification) doesn't stop
someone from voluntarily making their vote public if they desire.
END PROPOSAL

PROPOSAL Real Retraction
Amend Section 3-1 by replacing the following " delimited text
"
   If a player has submitted a proposal and the Secretary of Truth has
   not yet distributed it, that player may retract that proposal. The
   Secretary of Truth shall not distribute a retracted proposal, and it
   will not become Active.
"

with the following RETRACT delimited text
RETRACT
Any player may retract a proposal that they have submitted.  If the
Secratary of Truth has already distributed the proposal and that proposal
has become Active, then retracting a proposal will cause the loss of 3
Loyalty points and any Proposal Commodities used on the proposal.
Retracting a proposal while it is Preactive incurs no penalty.
RETRACT

I will note that this proposal doesn't really do much other than
effectively halve the penalty for a failing proposal unless the hidden
voting proposal passes.  However, that in and of itself isn't a horrible
thing.

END PROPOSAL

--JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]