Subject: [MacroNomic] Proposals

From: Joseph Traub <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 15:23:25 -0700

SoTruth: Here are the proposals that I am submitting.

PROPOSAL Silent Voting
Amend Section 3-0 as follows.
Replace the following VOTING delimited text
VOTING
A player may change eir vote on an Active proposal by notifying the
Accountant of the Subclass of that Referendum of such a change.
VOTING
with the following PRIVATE_VOTE delimited text
PRIVATE_VOTE
A player may change eir vote on an Active Referendum by privately
notifying the Accountant of the Subclass of that Referendum of such a
change.

Votes on any given type of Referendum remain private until the
Referendum becomes Inactive, at which point they are revealed
publically, unless a specific subclass of Referendum specifies
otherwise.
PRIVATE_VOTE

This makes referendums and voting be private by default, which I think
is a good thing.  It also means one cannot predict the way a proposal
will go in advance and thus change vote (if voting in a specific
direction ever gains any meaning).
It of course (by the definition of private notification) doesn't stop
someone from voluntarily making their vote public if they desire.
END PROPOSAL

PROPOSAL Real Retractions
Amend Section 3-1 by replacing the following OLD delimited text
OLD
   If a player has submitted a proposal and the Secretary of Truth has
   not yet distributed it, that player may retract that proposal. The
   Secretary of Truth shall not distribute a retracted proposal, and it
   will not become Active.
OLD

with the following RETRACT delimited text
RETRACT
Any player may retract a proposal that they have submitted that is
either Active or PreActive.
If the proposal is Active, then all votes already cast on the Proposal
are discarded, the proposal immediately becomes Inactive, and the
proposer loses 3 Loyalty points.
If the Proposal is PreActive, then the proposer loses no loyalty points,
the proposal commodities used in the construction of the proposal are
refunded tothe proposer, and the proposal becomes InActive.  The
Secretary of Truth will not distribute a proposal that becomes InActive
in this manner.
RETRACT

I will note that this proposal doesn't really do much other than
effectively third the penalty for a failing proposal unless the hidden
voting proposal passes.  However, that in and of itself isn't a
horrible thing.  I would hope that the two together would encourage
people to think through their proposals, but still have a way to get rid
of them if they really need to for some reason.
END PROPOSAL

PROPOSAL Secretary of Communication
Create a rule, Section 1-2, titled Secretary of Communication with the
following BREAKER_19 delimited text
BREAKER_19
The Secretary of Communication is responsible for maintaining and
updating the official mailing list.  The Secretary of Communication may
change the address of this mailing list by a public communication.  At
the time of that notification, the new address of the mailing list,
which must of course be a valid email address, shall replace all
occurances of [email-masked] within this rule.

Mail sent to this mailing list, or sent to every player individually
(and verifiably), is the only mail which shall count as Public
Communication as per section 0-2.

The official mailing list is [email-masked].
BREAKER_19
END PROPOSAL

--JT

---

From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 20:27:38 -0400

>SoTruth: Here are the proposals that I am submitting.
	I don't believe any of these are proposals.  The rules say
proposals must be distributed "personally"

--
-Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

---

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 17:28:59 -0700 (PDT)

>proposals must be distributed "personally"

Doh!.. I'd missed that referendums defined themselves as personally
distributed. (cases like these are where I hate OO rules :)

SoTruth: they will be in your mailbox shortly.

--JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]