Subject: [MacroNomic] Update

From: "Brian Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Jun 98 21:14:22 -0400

Well, here's all of the gamestate I am supposed to administer. You may
note that I have created a second ERROR. And JT should note that I
have made two proposals, so that I lose 2 of each type of commodity.
The Kid should tally up people's loyalties based on their votes and
the proposals that have passed. All of the information in this message
can also be found on my brand-new MacroNomic website, at
<http://world.std.com/~lambda/macronomic/>. Since this site is still
under construction, it contains a few pages which are empty. I will
try to finish it as soon as possible.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Here are the new proposals:
79: JT Traub, June 11/16-----------------------------------------------
Amend Section 3-0 as follows.
Replace the following VOTING delimited text
VOTING
A player may change eir vote on an Active proposal by notifying the
Accountant of the Subclass of that Referendum of such a change.
VOTING
with the following PRIVATE_VOTE delimited text
PRIVATE_VOTE
A player may change eir vote on an Active Referendum by privately
notifying the Accountant of the Subclass of that Referendum of such a
change.

Votes on any given type of Referendum remain private until the
Referendum becomes Inactive, at which point they are revealed
publically, unless a specific subclass of Referendum specifies
otherwise.
PRIVATE_VOTE

This makes referendums and voting be private by default, which I think
is a good thing.  It also means one cannot predict the way a proposal
will go in advance and thus change vote (if voting in a specific
direction ever gains any meaning).
It of course (by the definition of private notification) doesn't stop
someone from voluntarily making their vote public if they desire.

Votes so far:
	Philo: NONE 
	Towsner: NONE 
	JT Traub: FOR 
	Narf: NONE 
	The Kid: NONE 
	Lambda: FOR 
	Ember: NONE
	Dan: NONE

80: JT Traub, June 11/16-----------------------------------------------
Amend Section 3-1 by replacing the following OLD delimited text
OLD
   If a player has submitted a proposal and the Secretary of Truth has
   not yet distributed it, that player may retract that proposal. The
   Secretary of Truth shall not distribute a retracted proposal, and
it
   will not become Active.
OLD

with the following RETRACT delimited text
RETRACT
Any player may retract a proposal that they have submitted that is
either Active or PreActive.
If the proposal is Active, then all votes already cast on the Proposal
are discarded, the proposal immediately becomes Inactive, and the
proposer loses 3 Loyalty points.
If the Proposal is PreActive, then the proposer loses no loyalty
points,
the proposal commodities used in the construction of the proposal are
refunded tothe proposer, and the proposal becomes InActive.  The
Secretary of Truth will not distribute a proposal that becomes
InActive
in this manner.
RETRACT

I will note that this proposal doesn't really do much other than
effectively third the penalty for a failing proposal unless the hidden
voting proposal passes.  However, that in and of itself isn't a
horrible thing.  I would hope that the two together would encourage
people to think through their proposals, but still have a way to get
rid
of them if they really need to for some reason.

Votes so far:
	Philo: NONE 
	Towsner: NONE 
	JT Traub: FOR 
	Narf: NONE 
	The Kid: NONE 
	Lambda: FOR 
	Ember: NONE
	Dan: NONE

81: JT Traub, June 11/16-----------------------------------------------
Create a rule, Section 1-2, titled Secretary of Communication with the
following BREAKER_19 delimited text
BREAKER_19
The Secretary of Communication is responsible for maintaining and
updating the official mailing list.  The Secretary of Communication
may
change the address of this mailing list by a public communication.  At
the time of that notification, the new address of the mailing list,
which must of course be a valid email address, shall replace all
occurances of [email-masked] within this rule.

Mail sent to this mailing list, or sent to every player individually
(and verifiably), is the only mail which shall count as Public
Communication as per section 0-2.

The official mailing list is [email-masked].
BREAKER_19

Votes so far:
	Philo: NONE 
	Towsner: NONE 
	JT Traub: FOR 
	Narf: NONE 
	The Kid: NONE 
	Lambda: FOR 
	Ember: NONE
	Dan: NONE

83: Henry Towsner, June 13/16------------------------------------------
	Create rule 3-2-2-3, named Confessions, and make it read as
delimited by INQUISITOR
INQUISITOR
	If a player is found guilty of a crime or is the loser in a civil
case then they become convicted.  A convicted player loses 2 LOYALTY
points
for every day they do not confess.  A player confesses by publicly
stating
that they either commited the crime they were convicted of (if they
were
found GUILTY in a criminal case), wronged the person they were found
to
have (if they were the accused in a civil case), or wrongly filed the
case
(if they were the accuser in a civil case).
INQUISITOR

Votes so far:
	Philo: NONE 
	Towsner: FOR 
	JT Traub: NONE 
	Narf: NONE 
	The Kid: NONE 
	Lambda: FOR 
	Ember: NONE
	Dan: NONE

84: Henry Towsner, June 13/16------------------------------------------
	Create section 3-2-2-1-0, named "Oath Breaking", reading as
delimited by LYRE
	If a player offers to do something and publicly "swears to XXX upon
the goodness of the State" where XXX is another player that they will
do so
then the swearing player has made an oath to XXX.  It is a civil crime
against XXX to break an oath.
LYRE

Votes so far:
	Philo: NONE 
	Towsner: FOR 
	JT Traub: NONE 
	Narf: NONE 
	The Kid: NONE 
	Lambda: FOR 
	Ember: NONE
	Dan: NONE

85: Lambda, June 16/16-------------------------------------------------
Create "Section 0-4: Documents" with the following FILES-delimited
text:
FILES
There exist a class of Object known as Documents. Documents may only
be created as specified in the rules or in a proposal, and may only be
modified as specified in the rules. All Documents are managed by the
Secretary of Truth, unless otherwise specified. Documents must consist
of either plain ASCII format text or HTML. Anything stated in an
officcial Document is considered to be the truth.
FILES
Insert the following at the beginning of Section 0-1: 'There exists a
document known as "the rules of MacroNomic", or "the rules" for
short.' Insert the following at the end of the first paragraph of
Section 1-0: 'All Secretaries must maintain at least one document
which contains the information they are required to manage.
Secretaries may create new documents for this purpose, and Secretaries
manage any documents that they create.'

Votes so far:
	Philo: NONE 
	Towsner: NONE 
	JT Traub: NONE 
	Narf: NONE 
	The Kid: NONE 
	Lambda: FOR 
	Ember: NONE
	Dan: NONE

86: Lambda, June 16/16-------------------------------------------------
Insert the following PAYCHECK-delimited text at the end of Section 5:
PAYCHECK
For each paper that a player submits, e recieves one proposal
commodity of a type of eir choice.
PAYCHECK

Votes so far:
	Philo: NONE 
	Towsner: NONE 
	JT Traub: NONE 
	Narf: NONE 
	The Kid: NONE 
	Lambda: FOR 
	Ember: NONE
	Dan: NONE

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Here are the votes for the old proposals:

69:
	Philo: FOR 
	Towsner: FOR 
	JT Traub: FOR 
	Narf: NONE 
	The Kid: LOYAL (FOR) 
	Lambda: LOYAL (FOR) 
	Ember: LOYAL (FOR)
	Dan: NONE
Result: Passes

70:
	Philo: FOR 
	Towsner: FOR 
	JT Traub: FOR 
	Narf: NONE 
	The Kid: FOR 
	Lambda: FOR 
	Ember: AGAINST 
	Dan: NONE
Result: Passes

71:
	Philo: AGAINST 
	Towsner: FOR 
	JT Traub: FOR 
	Narf: NONE 
	The Kid: FOR 
	Lambda: FOR 
	Ember: FOR 
	Dan: NONE
Result: Passes

72:
	Philo: FOR 
	Towsner: FOR 
	JT Traub: FOR 
	Narf: NONE 
	The Kid: FOR 
	Lambda: FOR 
	Ember: FOR 
	Dan: NONE
Result: Passes

73:
	Philo: FOR 
	Towsner: FOR 
	JT Traub: FOR 
	Narf: NONE 
	The Kid: LOYAL (FOR) 
	Lambda: LOYAL (FOR) 
	Ember: LOYAL (FOR) 
	Dan: NONE
Result: Passes

74:
	Philo: FOR 
	Towsner: FOR 
	JT Traub: FOR 
	Narf: NONE 
	The Kid: LOYAL (FOR) 
	Lambda: LOYAL (FOR) 
	Ember: LOYAL (FOR) 
	Dan: NONE
Result: Passes

75:
	Philo: AGAINST 
	Towsner: AGAINST 
	JT Traub: AGAINST 
	Narf: NONE 
	The Kid: FOR 
	Lambda: FOR 
	Ember: AGAINST 
	Dan: NONE
Result: Fails

76:
	Philo: FOR 
	Towsner: FOR 
	JT Traub: FOR 
	Narf: NONE 
	The Kid: LOYAL (FOR) 
	Lambda: LOYAL (FOR) 
	Ember: LOYAL (FOR) 
	Dan: NONE
Result: Passes

77:
	Philo: AGAINST 
	Towsner: AGAINST 
	JT Traub: FOR 
	Narf: NONE 
	The Kid: LOYAL (AGAINST) 
	Lambda: LOYAL (AGAINST) 
	Ember: LOYAL (AGAINST) 
	Dan: NONE
Result: Fails

78:
	Philo: FOR 
	Towsner: FOR 
	JT Traub: FOR 
	Narf: NONE 
	The Kid: LOYAL (FOR) 
	Lambda: LOYAL (FOR) 
	Ember: LOYAL (FOR) 
	Dan: NONE
Result: Passes

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Here are the current ERRORs:

1: Lambda, June 14-----------------------------------------------------
Renumber the section entitled "Treason", whatever its section number
may be, to Section 3-2-2-2-0.

Current Votes:
	Philo: ACCEPT 
	Towsner: ACCEPT 
	JT Traub: ACCEPT 
	Narf: ACCEPT 
	The Kid: ACCEPT 
	Lambda: ACCEPT 
	Ember: ACCEPT

2: Lambda, June 16-----------------------------------------------------
Renumber Section 3-3: Sub-Proposals to Section 3-1-1. Renumber Section
3-4: ERRORs to Section 3-3.

Current Votes:
	Philo: ACCEPT 
	Towsner: ACCEPT 
	JT Traub: ACCEPT 
	Narf: ACCEPT 
	The Kid: ACCEPT 
	Lambda: ACCEPT 
	Ember: ACCEPT

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

And here is the current ruleset:

Section 0: Basics

This section takes precedence over all other rules. 
Created by Proposal 49, June 2 1998

Section 0-0: Actions

All players must obey the rules in effect at the time of their
actions. No rule or gamestate change effected by a rule can have
retroactive effect. 

Any action external to the gamestate which is not prohibited by the
rules is permissible. No changes to the gamestate occur except those
prescribed by the rules. 
Created by Proposal 27, May 19 1998
Amended by Proposal 49, June 2 1998
Moved to Section 0-0 by Proposal 49, June 2 1998

Section 0-1: Rules

Each rule must have a location within the rules of MacroNomic. A
location consists of a series of rational, non-negative, terminating
numbers seperated by dashes. The numbers in this location are known as
"section numbers." If two rules share the same first section number
then they are related. If two rule's locations are the same except for
the last section number then they are siblings. If one rule has the
same location as another except the first one has additional section
numbers tacked on then the second one is an ancestor of the first, and
the first is a descendant of the second. If the first has only one
additional section number then it is the child of the second, and the
second is the parent of the first. Locations are compared by comparing
their first section number, if those are the same the second, and so
on. If a rule is created without a location being specifed, with a
rule number instead of location specified, or with an already taken
location specified, it becomes the smallest sibling of 100000-0 not
already taken. The Secretary of Truth may relocate descendants of
100000 by announcing the new location to all players. When a rule is
relocated, all descendants are relocated as well, changing the changed
portion of the ancestor's location, and leaving the rest the same. If
a set of possible Section numbers is given for a rule, it shall be
given the least Section number of that set which is not already taken
by an existing rule. 

The Secretary of Truth may also give titles to untitled sections by
notifying all players of such a change.

If any rule has a certain sequence of section numbers beginning its
location, then that sequence of section numbers may be given a name. A
reference to "this section" means that rule and all rules related to
that rule. A reference to "this subsection" means that rule and all
its descendants. 

If two or more rules conflict, the one with the smallest location
takes precedence, unless one or more of the conflicting rules
consistently claim precedence over or deference to each other, in
which case the explicit precedence or deference prevails. Thus, if two
rules both claim precedence over each other, or both defer to each
other, theirs are inconsistent claims of precedence or deference,
respectively, and the location-based rule applies. 
Created by Proposal 27, May 19 1998
Amended by Proposal 49, June 2 1998
Moved to Section 0-1 by Proposal 49, June 2 1998

Section 0-1-0: Conventions

Rules under this section are conventions on how certain parts of the
rules shall be interpreted in cases where it is confusing or
ambiguous. 
Created by Proposal 73, June 16 1998
Moved to Section 0-1-0 by Proposal 73, June 16 1998

Section 0-1-0-0: Spelling

If a word is used in a proposal or rule and although spelled
incorrectly the intended word is clear than the mispelled word will be
replaced with the correct spelling by the Secretary of Truth. 

If a player sends a message which contains a mispelled word and the
intended word is clear than the message will be treated by all rules
except this one as if the word was correctly spelled. 
Created by Proposal D, April 20 1998
Moved to Section 0-1-0 by Proposal 49, June 2 1998
Moved to Section 0-1-1-0 by Proposal 73, June 16 1998
Moved to Section 0-1-0-0 by Proposal 73, June 16 1998

Section 0-1-0-1: English

In all cases, the meaning of a term in the rules that is not specified
as having a specific meaning shall have the meaning granted to it by
common use of the english language and the context surrounding the use
of the word. 

If a term has a specific game defined meaning, that meaning should be
as close as possible to the english meaning. [IE: don't choose a word
like Baseball to mean the game called soccer] 
Created by Proposal 73, June 16 1998

Section 0-1-0-2: Math

If there is ever the case where a fractional division must be
performed and either the numerator or the divisor is 0, then the value
of that fraction shall be 0. [I prefer having 0 divisors evaluate to
something sane instead of to infinity :)] 
Created by Proposal 73, June 16 1998

Section 0-2: Accessibility

Information may be distributed in three ways. Public distribution
means sending the information to all players of MacroNomic. Personal
distribution means sending it to either a single player or a specific
group of players (such as the RP) and noone outside that group.
Private distribution means sending information to a specific group of
players, and possibly others as well. 
Created by Proposal 54, June 9 1998
Moved to Section 0-2 by SoT, June 9 1998

Section 0-3: The Macronomic Calendar

A Macronomic week begins every Wednesday at 0000UTC. 
Created by Proposal 68, June 9 1998
Moved to Section 0-3 by SoT, June 9 1998

Section 1: Secretaries

Section 1-0: Generic Secretaryships

There exists the class of Secretaries. A Secretary is always exactly
one player. Rules may refer to Secretariatships being vacant, though
this reference is to the hypothetical situation in which the
Secretariatship is not immediately filled. 

Any Secretary except for the Secretary of the Central Committee may
step down from their position in favor of another consenting player. 
Renumbered to 42 by Proposal 27, May 19 1998
Renumbered to 0.5 by Proposal 27, May 19 1998
Moved to Section 1-0 by Proposal 49, June 2 1998

Section 1-1: Secretary of the Central Committee

There exists the Secretary of the Central Committee. If a member of
the Revolutionary Party has a higher loyalty than the Secretary of the
Central Committee, if the Secretary of the Central Committee is not a
member of the Revolutionary Party, or if there is no Secretary of the
Central Committee, a new Secretary of the Central Committee shall be
chosen in the following manner: 
1. If there is a player in the Revolutionary Party who has a Loyalty
greater than all other players, that player shall become the Secretary
of the Central Committee. 
2. Otherwise, if there is a player in the Revolutionary Party who has
a Loyalty greater than all other players not in the Revolutionary
Party, that player shall become the Secretary of the Central
Committee. 
3. Otherwise, if there is a Secretary of the Central Committee, e will
randomly select one player from the members of the Revolutionary Party
tied for the greatest Loyalty, and the selected player shall become
the Secretary of the Central Committee 
4. Otherwise, the member of the Revolutionary Party whose nickname is
lexicographically first shall become the Secretary of the Central
Committee. 
Renumbered to 42 by Proposal 27, May 19 1998
Renumbered to 0.5 by Proposal 27, May 19 1998
Moved to Section 1-1 by Proposal 49, June 2 1998

Section 2: Players

Section 2-0: Players

The Secretary of Friendship is responsible for tracking who the
players are, and which are members of the Revolutionary Party. A
person may become a player by personally notifying the Secretary of
Friendship of eir intent to join, eir name, a nickname, (eir nickname
is identical to eir true name by default) and an e-mail address. The
Secretary of Friendship will then inform all other players of this
intent. A player leaves the game by announcing to all players that
they intend to do so. 

When a player joins Macronomic, if there are fewer than 100 acres of
farmland being managed by all other players, 10 acres of farmland are
placed under the management of the incoming player. When a player
leaves, all acres of farmland and Proposal Mines e managed become
unmanaged, and all Proposal Commodities e managed become managed by
the SoCC; if the leaving player is SoCC, then the Proposal Commodities
are placed under the management of the new SoCC. 
Amended by Proposal B, April 20 1998
Moved to Section 2-0 by Proposal 49, June 2 1998
Amended by Proposal 54, June 9 1998
Amended by Proposal 62, June 9 1998
Amended by Proposal 68, June 9 1998

Section 2-0-0: Expulsion

If a player has not voted or otherwise taken any game action or made
any statement to the Macronomic public for fourteen consecutive
24-hour periods, and a player other than that player notes this to the
Macronomic public, the former player shall cease to be a player of
Macronomic. 
Created by Proposal 16, May 12 1998
Moved to Section 2-0-0 by Proposal 49, June 2 1998

Section 2-1: Loyalty Defined

All players will have a loyalty, tracked by the Secretary of
Friendship. Any player with a loyalty lower than 0 will have eir
loyalty set to 0. Any member of the Revolutionary Party with a loyalty
lower than 100 will have eir loyalty set to 100. 
Amended by Proposal 15, May 12 1998
Amended by Proposal 30, May 19 1998
Moved to Section 2-1 by Proposal 49, June 2 1998

Section 2-2: The Revolutionary Party

The old order having been overthrown, Macronomic will now be guided by
the Revolutionary Party. At all times there will be three members of
the Revolutionary Party unless there are fewer than three players.
Should there be fewer than three members of the Revolutionary Party
and there be a Proletarian Secretary of the Proletariat, the Secretary
of the Proletariat shall become a member of the Revolutionary Party 

If a player who is not a member of the Revolutionary Party is at least
twice as loyal as a member of the Revolutionarty Party, then they may
replace that member of the Revolutionary Party by privately notifying
the Secretary of Friendship of such a change. 
Amended by Proposal 15, May 12 1998
Moved to Section 2-2 by Proposal 49, June 2 1998
Amended by Proposal 62, June 9 1998
Amended by Proposal 70, June 16 1998

Section 2-3: Proles

A Proletarian (or just 'Prole') is defined as a player of Macronomic
who is not a member of the Revolutionary Party. 
Amended by Proposal 15, May 12 1998
Amended by Proposal 30, May 19 1998
Moved to Section 2-3 by Proposal 49, June 2 1998

Section 2-3-0: Secretary of the Proletariat

There exists the Secretary of the Proletariat. If there are Proles,
and one of the following conditions exist -- if a Prole has a higher
loyalty than the Secretary of the Proletariat, if the Secretary of the
Proletariat is a member of the Revolutionary Party, or if there is no
Secretary of the Proletariat -- a new Secretary of the Proletariat
shall be chosen in the following manner: 
1. If there is a Prole who has a Loyalty greater than all other
Proles', that player shall become the Secretary of the Proletariat. 
2. Otherwise, if there is a Secretary of the Central Committee, e will
randomly select one of the Proles tied for the greatest Loyalty, and
the selected player shall become the Secretary of the Proletariat 
3. Otherwise, the Prole whose nickname is lexicographically first
shall become the Secretary of the Proletariat. 
Otherwise, if there are no Proles, then the Secretary of the
Proletariat is the same Player as the Secretary of the Central
Committee. 
Amended by Proposal 15, May 12 1998
Amended by Proposal 30, May 19 1998
Moved to Section 2-3-0 by Proposal 49, June 2 1998

Section 2-4: Winning

Section 2-4-0: Winning Conditions

Section 2-4-0-1: Winning by Loyalty

If the Loyalty score of exactly one player is greater than 1000, e is
said to have won the current round of Macronomic and is considered to
be the Winning Player. 
Created by Proposal 24, May 19 1998
Amended by Proposal 30, June 2 1998
Moved to Section 2-4-0 by Proposal 49, June 2 1998

Section 2-4-1: Upon Winning

When a player is considered to be the Winning Player, the following
steps occur in order. 
€ a) The game is paused so that no actions except as defined in this
list occur. 
€ b) The Winning Player may add a new paragraph of no more than 50
words to the "History of MacroNomic".
€ c) The Winning Player names two other players. 
€ d) These three players become members of the New Revolution. 
€ e) All players who were members of the Revolutionary Party are no
longer members of the Revolutionary Party. 
€ f) All players have their Loyalty set to 0 except members of the
New Revolution who have their Loyalty set to 100. 
€ g) All members of the New Revolution are considered to be Members
of the Revolutionary Party and no longer members of the New
Revolution. 
€ h) The game continues with the new game state. 
It is not possible to be a member of the new Revolution except as
defined in this rule. 
This rule takes precedence over any rule with which it conflicts. 
Created by Proposal 24, May 19 1998
Amended by Proposal 36, May 19 1998
Moved to Section 2-4-1 by Proposal 49, June 2 1998

Section 3: Referenda

Section 3-0: Generic Referenda

There exists the class of Referenda (singular: Referendum). All
referenda which exist must belong to a subclass of referenda, which
are defined elsewhere. Rules that define subclasses of referenda may
modify any or all of the default properties of subclasses of referenda
and referenda themselves, which are as follows: 

The Accountant of a subclass of referenda is the Secretary of the
Central Committee. A Referendum is created when any player personally
sends a body of text clearly labelled as a particular subclass of
referendum to the Accountant of that subclass. When a Referendum is
created, it receives the least positive integer not previously
assigned to an referendum of its subclass. 

A Referendum may only be in one of three States: Preactive, Active or
Inactive. When created, a Referendum is Preactive. Within 7 days of
its creation, the Accountant of the Subclass of a Referendum must
distribute the Referendum to all players, and when this occurs, it becomes Active. Exactly 7 days after a Referendum becomes Active, it
becomes Inactive. 

Each player has a Vote on each Referendum. Valid votes are FOR,
AGAINST, and NONE. When a Referendum is created, every players' vote
on that referendum is NONE. A player may change eir vote on an Active
proposal by notifying the Accountant of the Subclass of that
Referendum of such a change. 
Created by Proposal 28, May 19 1998
Moved to Section 3-0 by Proposal 49, June 2 1998
Amended by Proposal 54, June 9 1998

Section 3-1: Proposals

Proposals are a subclass of Referenda. The subclass of Proposals has
the default properties of a subclass of Referenda, and Proposals have
the default properties of Referenda, with the following exceptions:
The Accountant of Proposals is the Secretary of Truth. The text of a
proposal must explicitly and unambiguously describe one or more
changes to the gamestate. A player may not make a proposal unless e
has manages of each type of Proposal Commodity. If a player does not
manage the materials needed, then e can not make a proposal. The
materials are lost by the player constructing the proposal as they are
used up in the process. The Secretary of Truth may notify any player
during the preactive stage of eir proposal if eir proposal conflicts
with any other currently preactive proposal, and how e may change eir
proposal to conform with the other. When a proposal becomes inactive,
the Secretary of Truth announces all votes and the following steps
will be performed by the appropriate officers: 

1) If the proposal's author is, when the proposal ceases to be Active,
a member of the revolutionary party, each player who voted LOYAL on
that proposal will receive three loyalty points and have eir vote
changed to the vote made by a majority (a majority is defined for the
remainder of the ruleset as strictly greater than one half of a group
with the same vote or opinion) of the Revolutionary Party. If no vote
was made by a majority of party members, then the players who voted
LOYAL will have eir vote changed to what the Secretary of the Central
Committee voted. 
2) Corresponding to every actual vote on an active proposal a player
has, there is a number of Effective Votes on that proposal equal to
the number of acres of farmland e manages. All effective votes of a
player on a proposal are of the same vote as the actual vote e cast --
ie if the player's vote is FOR on a proposal with 20 acres of vote
farm, there are 20 effective FOR votes from that player on that
proposal. 
3) If there were more effective votes FOR on a proposal than AGAINST,
and one of the following two situations obtains: 
1) At least one of the members of the Revolutionary Party voted FOR
the proposal 
2) All of the members of the Revolutionary Party voted NONE on the
proposal 
then the person who made the proposal will receive fifteen loyalty
points if e is not a member of the Revolutionary Party, or ten loyalty
points if e is. E will also (regardless of whether e is a member of
the Revolutionary Party) receive one of each type of Proposal
Commodity. The game state will then be changed as specified in the
proposal. (Whenever a proposal specifies the creation of a rule
without specifying a number for it, the rule receives the least
positive integer not previously assigned to a rule.) If the votes do
not meet the stated condition, the person who made the proposal will
lose ten loyalty points. 
4) All players who voted NONE on that proposal will lose ten loyalty
points. 

If a player has submitted a proposal and the Secretary of Truth has
not yet distributed it, that player may retract that proposal. The
Secretary of Truth shall not distribute a retracted proposal, and it
will not become Active. 
Amended by Proposal A, April 19 1998
Amended by Proposal 8, May 5 1998
Amended by Proposal 9, May 5 1998
Amended by Proposal 17, May 12 1998
Amended by Proposal 21, May 12 1998
Amended by Proposal 28, May 19 1998
Amended by Proposal 30, May 19 1998
Amended by Proposal 33, May 26 1998
Moved to Section 3-1 by Proposal 49, June 2 1998
Amended by Proposal 68, June 9 1998
Amended by Proposal 71, June 16 1998

Section 3-1-0: Votes

The set of legal votes on a Proposal is FOR, AGAINST, LOYAL, and NONE.
A vote of LOYAL may not be cast on a proposal that is made by a Prole.
If it is, it will be changed to NONE. A member of the Revolutionary
Party may not vote LOYAL; if eir vote is LOYAL, eir vote is changed to
NONE. When a proposal is created, the vote of the player who made it
is initially FOR; the vote of every other player is initially NONE. 
Amended by Proposal 7, May 5 1998
Amended by Proposal 28, May 19 1998
Amended by Proposal 44, June 2 1998
Moved to Section 3-1-0 by Proposal 49, June 2 1998

Section 3-2: Justice

Section 3-2-0: Generic Trials

A trial is a subclass of referenda, which may be subclassed further,
changing its attributes. The accountant of a subclass of trial is the
Secretary of Justice. Only the judge or judges have votes on a trial.
A trial has a single judge randomly selected from all players who did
not initiate it. Valid votes are TRUE and FALSE. If all judges have
votes on a trial then it becomes inactive immediately. There are no
criteria for the vote. In addition to voting, judges may offer
reasoning to support their vote. 
Created by Proposal 49, June 2 1998

Section 3-2-1: Calls for Judgement

A CfJ is a subclass of trial. A Call for Judgement must include a
statement, and preferably reasoning to support it. The decision on the
Call for Judgement is considered to be the correct interpretation of
the rules until a new Call for Judgement overrides it, or the relevant
rules change. A Call for Judgement should be decided on the basis of,
in order of priority, the text of the rules, the spirit of the rules,
and game custom. 
Created by Proposal 49, June 2 1998

Section 3-2-2: Cases

A case is a subclass of trial which may be subclassed further,
changing its default attributes. A case has an accused player, which
may be any player, the name of a crime defined in the rules, and
optionally, reasoning. A case has three randomly selected judges, none
of whom may be the initiator or the accused. A case may not be called
if there are fewer than five players. A case has two penalty referenda
which are created with it, the Penalty for the Accused and the Penalty
for the Accuser. These are children of the case. The criteria for a
case are, in no particular order, the text of the rules and the
interests of the state. 
Created by Proposal 49, June 2 1998

Section 3-2-2-0: Penalties

Penalties are a subclass of referenda. The accountant for penalties is
the Secretary of Justice. Penalties are created and change states
along with their parent cases. The only players who may vote on a
penalty are those who can vote on its parent case. Possible votes are
any specification of a loss of LOYALTY, expulsion, and the loss of
voting rights on one or more proposals. Instead of the inactive state,
a penalty becomes either accepted or rejected, as specified by its
parent. When a penalty becomes accepted, if a majority of those able
to vote on it voted the same way, then they appropriate Secretaries
should carry out the penalty. 
Created by Proposal 49, June 2 1998

Section 3-2-2-1: Civil Cases

A civil case is a subclass of case. A civil case may only be called on
a civil crime. The possible votes are PLAINTIFF and DEFENDANT. One
judge of the case should be a randomly selected member of the
Revolutionary Party, the other two should be Proles, however none of
them may be the accused or the initiator. If there are fewer than two
proles not involved in the case, more than one judge may be a member
of the Revolutionary Party. If the result is PLAINTIFF, the Penalty
for the Accused becomes accepted and the Penalty for the Defendant
becomes rejected. If the result is DEFENDANT the reverse happens. 
Created by Proposal 49, June 2 1998

Section 3-2-2-2: Criminal Cases

A criminal case is a subclass of case. A criminal case may only be
called on a criminal crime. The initiator of a criminal case must be a
member of the Revolutionary Party, the accused must be a prole. The
possible votes are GUILTY and INNOCENT. Two judges are the members of
the Revolutionary Party who are not the initiator, the other is a
Prole other than the accused. A criminal case does not have a Penalty
for the Accuser. If the result is GUILTY, the penalty for the Accuser
becomes accepted, otherwise it becomes rejected. 
Created by Proposal 49, June 2 1998

Section 3-2-3: Treason

Publicly declaring one's intent to become a member of the
Revolutionary Party is treason, a crime. 
Created by Proposal 52, June 9 1998
Amended by Proposal 78, June 16 1998

Section 3-3: Sub-Proposals

A sub-proposal is a subclass of referenda. The Secretary of Truth is
the Accountant for sub-proposals. They may only be created when a
proposal defines one, and they are created and change states along
with that proposal. NONE is always a legal vote for a sub-proposal,
and a proposal which defines a sub-proposal must define at least two
more. When a proposal which has a sub-proposal is accepted, the
sub-proposal is also accepted. In any other circumstances, the
sub-proposal simply becomes inactive. If a sub-proposal is accepted
(thereby becoming inactive) then the winning possibility is selected.
The winning possibility for the sub-proposal is the vote other than
NONE which received the most votes, and the one listed first in the
proposal if there is more than one; instead of this method a the
proposal may specify a different way in which the winning possibiility
(WP) is determined. Any instruction within the proposal which are
conditional on the selected WP should then be treated as if they were
part of a proposal accepted without a sub-proposal. 
Created by Proposal 55, June 9 1998
Moved to Section 3-3 by SoT, June 9 1998

Section 3-4: ERRORs

An Edict for the Reordering and Reorganization of the Rules is a
subclass of referenda. ERRORs may only created by the Secretary of
Truth, who is the accountant for this type of referenda. The legal
votes for an ERROR are ACCEPT and REJECT. All player's votes are set
to ACCEPT when an ERROR is created. When an ERROR becomes inactive, it
takes effect if and only if all players voted ACCEPT. An ERROR may
only contain instruction to move paragraphs from one rule to another,
create new (empty) rules, rename rules, and relocate rules. 
Created by Proposal 57, June 9 1998
Moved to Section 3-4 by SoT, June 9 1998

Section 4: Foreign Affairs

Section 4-0: Internomic

The Secretary of Love will be Macronomic's Liaison to Internomic.
Voting on Internomic proposals will be determined by a majority of the
Revolutionary Party, if a majority opinion exists. Any player may make
a proposal to Internomic by privately submitting it to the Secretary
of Love and clearly indicating that it is to be sent to Internomic. 

If MacroNomic is selected to judge an Internomic CFJ then it should be
submitted to the Revolutionary Party. The Revolutionary Party will
determine the verdict by a majority vote, and the Secretary of Love
will be responsible for writing reasoning for the verdict and
submitting it to Internomic. 
Amended by Proposal 20, May 12 1998
Moved to Section 4-0 by Proposal 49, June 2 1998
Amended by Proposal 54, June 9 1998

Section 4-1: Trade
The Secretary of Economics is MacroNomic's Customs Officer. If
MacroNomic is not a member of the ITA, the Secretary of Love should
request entrance unless MacroNomic's request was previously denied.
The State owns all things imported from other nomics. The Secretary of
Economics should reject all conditional trade offers and accept all
nonconditional trade offers. 
Created by Proposal 76, June 16 1998

Section 4-2: Republics

MicroNomic and Pnomic are subject republics to MacroNomic. As such
they receive a nominal independance, and should request entry into
Internomic. The liaison for MicroNomic is the Assistant Secretary for
MicroNomic Foreign Affairs, the liaison for Pnomic is the Seargent of
the Occupying Force in Command of Foreign Matters. Both positions are
Secretaries, and none can be held by the same player as the Secretary
of Love or each other, unless multiple ones are held by the SoCC. Both
positions vote the same way as the Secretary of Love, and all other
decisions are handled the same way they would be by the Secretary of
Love. 
Created by Proposal 58, June 9 1998
Moved to Section 4-2 by SoT, June 9 1998

Section 5: Education

The University of MacroNomic is a branch of the Government which is
dedicated to educating citizens of MacroNomic and other nomics of the
glory of MacroNomic, as well as enlarging the size of MacroNomic. The
Secretary of the University is responsible for the University. 

When a player joins MacroNomic the Secretary of the University
assignes them a random, non-teaching professor, unless there are no
non-teaching professors or the player requested a specific professor.
If the entering player requested a specific professor, and that
professor is non-teaching, then that professor will be assigned to the
student. When a player is assigned a professor then that professor
becomes a teaching professor, and that player becomes eir student. The
professor is expected to help the student learn about MacroNomic and
how to play until the professor publicly declares that the student has
graduated. Any player who has been a student for a whole month
graduates immediately. When a student graduates, e ceases to be a
student and eir professor becomes a non-teaching professor. 

Papers are a subclass of Referenda. The subclass of Papers has the
default properties of a subclass of Referenda, and Papers have the
default properties of Referenda, with the following exceptions: The
Accountant of Papers is the Secretary of the University. A Paper can
be in one of four states: Preactive, Active, Active2, and Inactive. 

While a Paper is Active, only members of the Revolutionary Party may
change eir votes on it. They are encouraged to vote based on whether
the text of the Paper "glorifies and enhances the image and reputation
of MacroNomic". If, 7 days after a Paper becomes Active, there are
more FOR votes than AGAINST votes on it from the members of the
Revolutionary Party, it becomes Active2; otherwise, it becomes
Inactive. 

While a Paper is Active2, all players may change eir votes on it. They
are encouraged to vote based on whether the text of the Paper
successfully "enhances the understanding of MacroNomic or nomic as a
whole". If, 7 days after a Paper becomes Active2, there are more FOR
votes than AGAINST votes on it, the Paper is said to have been
accepted, the player who made it becomes a Professor, and it becomes
Inactive; otherwise, it merely becomes Inactive. Papers which become
Inactive without being accepted are said to have been rejected.
Whenever a Paper is accepted the Secretary of the University may grant
the professor whose paper was accepted a specialty. Specialties are
cumulative, and a player can be a professor in several fields. 

If three consecutive Papers of a single professor are rejected, that
professor ceases to be a professor. If 60 days pass without a Paper
from a single professor being submitted, that professor ceases to be a
professor. 

If at any time there are no professors, teaching or otherwise then the
members of the ruling party shall be Acting Professors. An Acting
Professor has all of the duties and responsibilities of a professor.
If a player becomes a professor and there are any acting professors,
the following occurs. All non-teaching acting professors lose their
acting professorship. All teaching Acting professors lose their acting
professorship when their current student graduates. The default vote
for the player who submitted the Paper is FOR. 
Created by Proposal 25, May 19 1998
Amended by Proposal 34, May 26 1998
Amended by Proposal 38, June 2 1998
Amended by Proposal 43, June 2 1998
Moved to Section 5 by Proposal 49, June 2 1998
Amended by Proposal 50, June 9 1998
Amended by Proposal 61, June 9 1998

Section 6: Economics

Section 6-0: Objects

Within MacroNomic there are several different types of Objects. All
Objects are owned by the State, but may be held and collected by the
players, who may then utilise them to the extent that they are defined
within the rules. 
Created by Proposal 65, June 9 1998
Moved to Section 6-0 by SoT, June 9 1998

Section 6-0-0: Standard Object

All Objects and types of Object have the following defaults: 
1) The Secretary of Membership is responsible for recording how many
Objects are held by each player. 
2) Objects exist in positive integer quantities only. 
3) Objects held by a player when they leave the game get transferred
to the Secretary of the Central Committee 
Created by Proposal 65, June 9 1998
Moved to Section 6-0-0 by SoT, June 9 1998

Section 6-0-1: Tradable Objects

Any Object that is defined as a Tradable Object may be freely
exchanged between the players. This exchange takes place by the
notification of the Secretary responsible for that type of Object. The
default for all Tradable Objects are the same as for other Objects,
with the following changes and additions: 
1) The Secretary of Economics is responsible for recording how many
Tradable Objects are held by each player. 
2) Tradable Objects can be traded in positive integer quantities only.

3) A player may not transfer more Tradable Objects than e currently
holds. 
Created by Proposal 65, June 9 1998
Moved to Section 6-0-1 by SoT, June 9 1998

Section 6-0-2: Global Limits

This rule applies whenever a rule creates a new instance (or
instances) of an Object by awarding it (or them) to a player. 
1) If there is no Global Limit defined for that type of Object, or the
rule in question claims precedence over the Global Limit, then the
player receives the exact number of Object(s) specified in the rule. 
2) If there is currently a Global Limit, and the total number of the
specified Objects already in the game is below the Global Limit, then
the player receives as many of that type Object as possible (up to a
maximum of the number specified in the rule) without taking the total
over the Global Limit. 
3) If there is currently a Global Limit, and the total number of the
specified Objects already in the game is equal to or greater than the
Global Limit, then the player does not receive anything 
Created by Proposal 65, June 9 1998
Moved to Section 6-0-2 by SoT, June 9 1998

Section 6-1: Physical Objects

Physical Objects are a type of Tradble Object.
Created by Proposal 68, June 9 1998
Moved to Section 6-1 by SoT, June 9 1998
Amended by Proposal 69, June 16 1998

Section 6-2: Vote Farms

Within MacroNomic there exists a farming community. This community
gathers together in farms of variable sizes and reaps the produce of
the land. All the farms are owned by the state, but players may manage
certain quantites of farmland. 

Acres of Farmland are Physcial Objects. 
Created by Proposal 68, June 9 1998
Moved to Section 6-2 by SoT, June 9 1998

Section 6-3: Proposal Mines

Macronomic is an industrialized nomic. The state owns all Proposal
Mines and Proposal Commodities, but individual players may manage
them. 

There exist three types of Proposal Commodities: Ideas, Words, and
Terminologies. 
There exist three types of Proposal Mine, one for each Proposal
Commodity: Idea Mines, Word Mines and Terminology Mines. 
Terminology may be abbreviated 'Term', and Terminologies 'Terms'. 

All types of Proposal Mines are Physical Objects. 
All types of Proposal Commodities are Phyiscal Objects. 

At the beginning of each Macronomic week, each Proposal Mine produces
3 of the Proposal Commodity it corresponds to, under the management of
the Mine's manager. 

There also exist the State Mines, from which come all three types of
Proposal Commodities. The State Mines are not, nor can be managed by
any player. 

Any player with Loyalty greater than or equal to 15 may Operate the
State Mines, receiving one Proposal Commodity of a type of eir choice,
by notifying the Secretary of Economics of such an action. No player
may Operate the State Mines more than once during a week. When a Prole
Operates the State Mines, e loses 15 Loyalty Points. 
Created by Proposal 68, June 9 1998
Moved to Section 6-3 by SoT, June 9 1998

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

--- Brian Campbell (AKA lambda)
Visit my webpage: http://world.std.com/~campbell/Brian/
Visit the Latin Club webpage: http://world.std.com/~lambda/

----------
Nihil sub sole novum.

---

From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:23:51 -0400

>79: JT Traub, June 11/16-----------------------------------------------
FOR, looks good.

>80: JT Traub, June 11/16-----------------------------------------------
FOR, yes yes yes!

>81: JT Traub, June 11/16-----------------------------------------------
AGAINST, though not strongly.  I don't think we need an official mailing
list, and self-modifying text makes me nervous.

>85: Lambda, June 16/16-------------------------------------------------
FOR.  There are enough things like this floating around that it's worth having.

>86: Lambda, June 16/16-------------------------------------------------
AGAINST.  Maybe for each paper accepted.  There are virtually no
restrictions on proposing papers...

--
-Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

---

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:17:04 -0700 (PDT)

And, here are my votes and comments.

Towsner, the point of prop 81 was to make it a tad more official.
I deliberately stated that the new email address needed to be a valid
email address in order to avoid any problems with self-modifying rules.
I couldn't concieve of a way to abuse the self-modification while still
having a valid email address.
However, it's possible that the document proposal below provides a nicer
way to do this, ala Ackanomic's postal code.

83: FOR.
84: FOR.
85: FOR.
86: AGAINST - for much the same reason as Towsner gave.

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]