Subject: Re: Voting/Polling

From: mittnox@y...
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 20:44:03 -0000

--- In leg-nomic@y..., "Dan Marsh" <dmarsh3000@h...> wrote:
> Yahoo! groups has a polling feature, which we can use for voting. 
Does
> anyone object?

I don't object as long as the poll-moderator (Your Majesty, for the 
nonce) posts the results of the vote along with a voting detail 
showing how each MP voted.

In a real legislature, it is my understanding that these details are 
usually a matter of public record. 

Perhaps SOME votes, as outlined in our laws, could necessitate secret 
ballots, but I don't believe this should be the default situation.

Also, Captain Infinity and Mittnox are both me. If I slip up and use 
CI (as I have already done once or twice) forgive me. I want to be 
known as Mittnox here.

Thank you,

Mittnox

---

From: "Ryan Shannon" <ryan_shannon@y...>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 18:29:52 -0600

Hrm..
Statute 4.6
Upon publication of the Agenda of Parliament as specified by statute, all
Members of Parliament may vote on each bill so published by communicating
such vote to The King. After the voting period defined by statute has
elapsed, The King shall tally all votes received on each bill and publish
the results.

This says to me that His Majesty should be the one doing the tallying.
Perhaps we'de like to modify this as the first order of business to allow
for utilizing a non-person vote counting system?

-Ryan

----- Original Message -----
From: <mittnox@y...>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2001 2:44 PM
Subject: [leg-nomic] Re: Voting/Polling

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: Henry Towsner <htowsner@s...>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 17:31:08 -0700

>for utilizing a non-person vote counting system?

We'd better settle this early...does having a computer tally 
the votes on his behalf count as tallying? I'm inclined to say that 
for that purpose the King is still arranging to have the votes 
tallied, so it still counts. But this is by no means unambiguous. 
Let's set precedent:

I submit to the Court that arranging to have a computer tally the 
votes constitutes tallying the votes within the meaning of Statute 
4.6.
-- 
Henry Towsner <htowsner@s...>

Majority, n.: That quality that distinguishes a crime from a law