Subject: Re: [leg-nomic] Re: Bill 3

From: "Dan Marsh" <dmarsh3000@h...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:39:13 -0400

>From: mittnox@y...

> > In part, because real legislatures don't act this way
> > (because they can pass Acts of Parliament, or whatever).
>
>But don't real legislatures make laws which create programs that
>automatically lapse unless they are re-approved? Isn't that a similar
>thing?
>
>Mittnox

Well, OK, you've got me. But I'm not of the impression that those laws go 
away when they expire; I think it takes a separate repealing act.

My best example is the Michigan State Constitution. The 1963 constitution 
includes temporary sections 
(http://www.libofmich.lib.mi.us/law/constprov.html), designed to tide the 
state over while the change from the 1908 constitution occurred. However, 
these temporary sections are still "part" of the constitution.

DM

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

---

From: Henry Towsner <htowsner@s...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:56:35 -0700

>(<http://www.libofmich.lib.mi.us/law/constprov.html),>http://www.libofmich.lib.mi.us/law/constprov.html), 
>designed to tide the

I'm not sure I'd hold American laws up as an example, but 
regardless I think Sunset clauses do actually repeal the law if it 
isn't renewed in time. But I agree that either way it's awkward.
-- 
Henry Towsner <htowsner@s...>

Majority, n.: That quality that distinguishes a crime from a law