Subject: Re: Royal Edit?

From: mittnox@y...
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 11:31:15 -0000

Bill:

Statute 6.3 is hereby amended to read, in full:

Statute 6.3
Upon the publication of the results of a vote according to Statute 
4.6, each MP shall gain or lose Political Capital in an amount 
equivalent to Public Opinion on that bill. If an MP casts a vote in 
favor of a bill, Public Opinion on that bill shall be added to his 
Political Capital. If an MP casts a vote against a bill, Public 
Opinion on that bill shall be subtracted from his Political Capital.

Create Statute 7.3 (or the next available number, if 7.3 is taken)

Five seconds after this proposed statute is first passed, each MP 
and the King shall gain or lose the political capital they would have 
gained or lost for the immediately-concluded vote had the current 
version of Statute 6.3 been in effect. Six seconds after this Statute 
is first passed, it is automatically repealed.

Comments: I think this will fix the problem. I know self-repealing 
Statutes aren't the greatest thing since Swiss cheese, but they have 
their uses. 

> Futz. I just noticed another mistake in the ruleset. This one 
might be
> a bigger deal than the one pointed out by Ryan, since it affects a 
rule
> we're going to use shortly.
>  
> From §6.3: "Upon the publication of the results of a vote according 
to
> Statute 4.5 . . ." The problem is, that what was 4.5 at the time, 
was
> 4.6 when the game actually started. The results of a vote will 
never be
> published under §4.5; that rule covers publishing the Agenda and 
opening
> voting.
>  
> I see several courses of action:
>  
> 1.	Just fix it. 4.6 is the rule that was intended, so it should
> read 4.6. This is the simplest solution, but isn't exactly true to 
the
> spirit of the game, and sets a bad precedent. It occurred to me, 
too,
> to just change it and not mention it to anybody; I'd probably have 
got
> away with it and our lives would be easier.
> 2.	Use the "escape hatch" of §1.2. I strongly prefer not to do
> this; I intended that rule to be used for real emergencies.
> 3.	Play on. My read on what happens then, is that rule changes 
in
> the current Agenda, will still occur, but nobody earns Political 
Capital
> this week. There is still has time to get a "fix-up" bill on this
> week's Agenda.
> 4.	Some kind of Court case. I don't know what kind of case would
> fix this problem, if the Court ruled honestly, but some clever 
player
> might come up with one.
> Suggestions?