Subject: Proto-bill

From: mittnox@y...
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 22:18:51 -0000

Here is a Proto-bill:

"Statute 2.5

>From time to time, the Law may allow Members of Parliament to lose 
their party affiliation. Such Members of Parliament are known 
as 'unaligned,' and vote based on public opinion as follows:

If public opinion on a bill is positive, unaligned MPs will vote FOR 
the bill.

If public opinion on a bill is negative, unaligned MPs will vote 
AGAINST the bill.

If public opinion on a bill is zero, unaligned MPs will declare 
PRESENCE on the bill.

Statute 2.6

Immediately after political capital is calculated for each Agenda, 
the King shall announce the beginning of the MP Auction. The auction 
shall last until the next Agenda of Parliament is posted.

During the MP Auction, each Party Leader may, if he wishes, 
communicate to the King a bid of a positive amount of political 
capital. He may change his bid at any time before the Auction ends by 
alerting the King of his desire to do so, and of his new bid.

When the MP Auction ends, the amount of political capital bid by each 
Party Leader is subtracted from his party's political capital total.

Statute 2.7

Immediately after the close of each MP Auction, one MP from each 
political party having at least two members will become unaligned 
unless it's Party Leader bid at least 1 political capital in the MP 
Auction.

Statute 2.8

For every set of equal bids in each MP Auction, one new seat in 
Parliament is created. The MP holding the seat is unaligned.

Statute 2.9 

If there are unaligned MPs in Parliament, they might join political 
parties based on the ratio of (Political Capital the party's Leader 
bid in the MP Auction) to (Seats in Parliament). The party whose 
ratio is highest will gain the loyalty of one unaligned MP, plus a 
second if there are three or more total unaligned MPs. If there are 
two or more unaligned MPs, the political party whose ratio is the 
second highest will gain the loyalty of one unaligned MP. 

Unaligned MPs who join political parties are no longer unaligned."

---

From: mittnox@y...
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 19:17:03 -0000

Hey...there's been no discussion on my proto-bill, so I thought I'd 
start some.

I know it would add a new layer of complexity to Leg-Nomic, but is 
that a bad thing? 

The only point to having political parties is if they have the 
possibility of becoming unequal in some way...this is a way that can 
happen.

What do you think?

Mittnox