Subject: Epidemiologist Report

From: "Feyd " <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:35:57 -0000

Greetings from they Epidemiology Department. We currently have six 
known diseases. These diseases are documented in the database tab. 

Current diseases:

Addiction (Psychosis) 
Agoraphobia (Psychosis) 
Bit of a Cough (Airborne) 
Claustrophobia (Psychosis) 
Fear of Rejection (Psychosis) 
Migraine (Non-Contagious) 

There are likely to be several cases of Migraines coming into Office 
Hours.

If Players would prefer I will mail out a full list of diseases and 
their cures, or I can map it all in the database.

Also, if players prefer I can keep a separate database of JUST 
cures. This might be easier to use than the one big database. 

Please let me know what you prefer.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:54:09 -0000

> known diseases. These diseases are documented in the database tab. 

Um, I might have missed a memo somewhere, but what exact benefit are 
we supposed to be getting from having Diseases listed in both the 
Ruleset and a database?

K.

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"Brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department."

---

From: "Feyd " <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:51:22 -0000

>we supposed to be getting from having Diseases listed in both the 

None really, except that cures are not necessarily part of rule 10, 
and this keeps it all together. The database isn't part of the game 
state, but a weekly report is mandated by the Epidemiology rule.

Fyed

---

From: Ottis Airhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 09:58:39 -0600

I prefer one big database with diseases and cures together. Just my opinion.

At 02:35 PM 12/19/2000 +0000, you wrote:
>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>[email-masked]
>
>

---

From: Ottis Airhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:08:37 -0600

I propose the following amendment to rule #10. Diseases:

Remove all listings of diseases and insert in their place the following text:

All diseases and their cures are listed in one or more eGroups databases at
<http://www.egroups.com/database/DocNomic>.

==========

I propose the following amendment to rule #14. Cures:

Remove all listings of cures and insert in their place the following text:

All diseases and their cures are listed in one or more eGroups databases at
<http://www.egroups.com/database/DocNomic>.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:10:34 -0000

> and this keeps it all together.

Hm. I suspect it'd be easier to keep it all together in Rule 10, and 
remove the need for someone to cut-and-paste it all into a database 
every so often. Diseases are just as static as any Rule, really, and 
removing them from the Ruleset just makes for pointless duplication 
or (if we performed a complete Diseasectomy) Doc having to faff 
around with the database as well as the Ruleset, when processing 
Proposals that add a new Disease.

Kevan

"Forever is too long."

---

From: Ottis Airhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:48:07 -0600

I propose a new rule labeled: Blood Test

Any officer or a player, at their discretion, may arrange for a blood test
to be performed on that player by sending a message to the mailing list.
The message subject must begin with "Blood Test:" followed by the player's
name. The blood test shall be to determine if a player has contracted a
disease.

A player may only have one blood test for every two Office Hours since
otherwise, they might become too weak to play from lack of blood. Each
blood test removes 3 body points from the player. A player who asks for a
blood test shall lose an additional 2 body points.

There is a X percent chance that the blood test shall show the infection of
a random disease where X is 100 minus the product of the body points
divided by two for that player ( X = 100 - (B.P. / 2 ) ). The
Epidemiologist may call for a blood test for a particular disease, which
increases the likelihood of infection by that disease by 25% (since e knows
what e is talking about).

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 20 Dec 2000 15:53:16 -0500

> <http://www.egroups.com/database/DocNomic>.

REJECTED. Doc feels the proper place for diseases is in the ruleset.

Ottis has Fear of Rejection.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 20 Dec 2000 15:58:28 -0500

> what e is talking about).

REJECTED. C'mon... a blood test showing infection of Agoraphobia?

Why would a player call for a blood test on emself?

Suppose a blood test says the player does NOT have "Bit of a Cough".
Suppose the player *had* Bit of a Cough when the test was requested.
Does that mean e's cured?

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 20 Dec 2000 15:59:04 -0500

Oh yes. 5 soul point deduction.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: Ottis Airhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:06:55 -0600

I thought it was good. As the game progresses, it may be to a player's
advantage to have a blood test performed. In the case of certain procedures
being performed (blood donation, surgery, etc...) the player MUST request
the blood test... so them requesting is not so bad.

Also, the blood test would typically pick a random disease (using a random
number generator) then a probability of infection by that disease.

But be it as it may, I guess I'll just start suggesting things like: A
player gains one cash point if a rule is accepted and loses 100 cash points
if it is rejected.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 20 Dec 2000 17:37:46 -0500

> the blood test... so them requesting is not so bad.

OK... that makes sense.

> number generator) then a probability of infection by that disease.

Yeah, I understand... but the random disease will sometimes be one
that the player has, and in some of those cases the blood test will
sometimes say e doesn't have it. Strikes me as somewhat inconsistent
with the rules explicitly governing cures...

-- 
- Doc