Subject: Proposal: stationery cupboard

From: "Martin Couchman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:10:38 -0000

proposal: new NSF rule

There shall be a Stationery Cupboard (SC), from which players may 
obtain any stationery supplies they require. 

The Stationery Officer shall be responsible for recording stocks 
remaining in the cupboard, and replenishing stocks when they run low.

When a player takes something from the stationery cupboard (s)he must 
state this in a message posted to the list with a subject line 
starting "Stationery". The Stationery Officer shall update and 
publicise the records accordingly at least once every two duns.

A player may only take one article from the cupboard per dun. There 
may never be less than zero of any product in stock.

Products stocked which may be taken, together with the quantity when 
the cupboard first opens, are given below:

sheets of paper - 20
pencils - 10
paperclips - 10
rubber bands - 10
chocolate bars - 10
DocNomic T shirts (XL only) - 10

The stationery officer's salary shall be 5 points per dun. The 
Officer may be fined 10 points if stocks of any item remain at zero 
for more than one dun if a player demonstartes that it would be 
possible to restock within the rules of the game.

The stationery officer's post shall initially be given to Martin 
([email-masked]).

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Jun 2001 11:12:40 -0400

> proposal: new NSF rule

[...]

Welcome to the game -- you've been added to the Player List.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Jun 2001 11:10:16 -0400

> The stationery officer's post shall initially be given to Martin 

REJECTED.

I like this Rule and came close to accepting it. But there are just a
few small omissions. I'd like to see a revised version fixing them.

(1) I've been accused of being pedantic about this, but if a rule
defines new Gamestate data, I'd like it to that state explictly.
I.e. are the SC contents Gamestate? The possessions of the
Players? The identity of the Stationery Officer?

(2) The rule tells us who's in charge of keeping track of the SC
contents. Who's in charge of keeping track of the Players'
possessions? 

(3) The SO is said to be responsible for replenishing the SC when its
stocks run low. However, the rule makes no provisions for
allowing the SO to do so. That's not a fatal flaw, and perhaps it
was even intended, but I think I should point it out.

(4) The rule specifies a salary, without providing information on how
a salary works. At what moment does it get paid? What action
must be taken by whom for the salary to be paid? Do the points
come from some point bank or are they created ex nihilo? This
probably should be part of a separate salary rule.

(5) What happens if the SO fails to update the SC records every two
duns? 

-- 
- Doc