Subject: Proposal: The surgeon

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 21:54:05 -0000

Create a new rule as follows:

Surgeon
The surgeon is in charge of operations and physical wounds. 

The name of the player who holds the office of Surgeon is part of the 
gamestate. The Surgeon is responsible for hosting a database at 
http://www.egroups.com/database/DocNomic to hold all diseases of 
type "Injury" and "Physical" [[to be definied in next proposal]]and 
eir cure(s).

The Surgeon is bound by the rules of Office Hours as stated in Rule 
13. During eir Office Hours the Surgeon performs the following 
actions:
a. Perform all cures for Injuries requested by players. The 
surgeon is responsible for updating the PDP for all cures e performs.
b. Pay eirself wages of 1 Red pill, 2 purple pills, and 50 Cash.

At any time between eir Office the Surgeon may perform "Regular 
Surgery" on any player any number of times. It costs the Surgeon 50 
cash and 1 green pill to perform the surgury (in addition to the 
costs described by the "Injury" or "Physical", and any charges of the 
Surgeon to the player), paid to the bank. There is a 75% chance that 
any given "Regular Surgery" will succeed, unless specified 
differently in the definition of the "Injury" or "Physical". The 
Surgeon gains 4 Soul for each sucessful "Regular Surgery" performed. 
The surgeon may not perform surgery on eirself.

Because of their knowlege of the physical body they can trade 2 soul 
for 1 body at any time.

=================END OF PROPOSAL=====================================
There is no unusual chance of failure during office hours, so players 
may want to wait. However, there is a minimun fee for operations 
during game, and the soul bonus may be enough to encourage the 
Surgeon to help others.

The surgeon is appointed by the Doc, and can be replaced by the Doc 
at any time.

Feyd

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:06:05 -0000

Addict Feyd has made two Proposals recently, with no apparent nod to 
the fact that "the Addict must take 1 red pill in order to make a 
Proposal". Arguably the following Log entry lets him make one of 
those Proposals, but I suspect the second should be - in the absence 
of technology to undo previous events - ignored.

09/01 17:16 - Feyd
Feyd takes 1 Red Pill. (+2B/+1S)
Rating: 80% 
(For FoR + Agora)

I think the Addict Rule could use some rewording, either way. Hm.

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"I need pills to wake me up as well."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Jan 2001 11:40:25 -0500

> The surgeon is appointed by the Doc, and can be replaced by the Doc 

REJECTED. Some good ideas here but some I don't understand. Like,
why does the surgeon have to pay 50 cash to do surgery during the
week? 

Feyd has FoR.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Jan 2001 12:08:15 -0500

> I think the Addict Rule could use some rewording, either way. Hm.

I rule that the first red pill took care of the first proposal (which
was rejected, giving him FoR). The second should have been ignored,
so he does not lose the 5 soul points he was charged. Thanks for
pointing this out.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Jan 2001 12:27:11 -0500

> so he does not lose the 5 soul points he was charged. Thanks for

Wait, did I get that right? No no no no no...

Never mind the old red pill; he took two new ones. So both proposals
were considered. First one was rejected, but by the dice roll he
avoided FoR. 

Second one was rejected. He should *not* have been charged 5 SPs,
since he didn't have FoR; but he should have gotten FoR, unless he
rolled less than 25%:

1 random reals 0 < x < 1:
0.384918212890625

which he didn't. So no SPs lost, but Feyd gets FoR here.

-- 
- Doc