Subject: Point of Order: Proposals

From: Ottis Airhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 00:41:12 -0600

I do not recommend that we adjust previous events, but for future events,
we need to be aware of the exact wording of the rules. I have a proposal
immediately following this point of order to try and fix the problem.

Rule 3 states:
==
Players may submit Proposals by sending them to the DocNomic Mailing List.
A Proposal thus submitted becomes Pending. A Proposal consists of one or
more new proposed Rules, and/or a proposed amendment to one or more
existing Rules, and/or a proposed repeal of one or more existing Rules.
...
Doc will judge each Pending Proposal and accept, reject or ignore it. To
ignore a Proposal, the condition by which it is ignored must be explicit
elsewhere in the ruleset. Once a Proposal has been judged, it ceases to be
Pending. 
==
This means that if a single email (a Proposal) is sent, it can consist of
many proposed rules, amendments, and/or repeals. This also means that the
proposal, with possibly many proposed rules, etc., is to be judged IN
WHOLE... not, as it has previously been done, by judging each individual
addition or change within the email.

See the next proposal for a possible fix.
Ottis

---

From: Jeff Weston <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:16:59 -0800

>immediately following this point of order to try and fix the problem.
[snip]

Rule 3 also states that "Each proposal must have in its Subject line the
text: "Proposal:" followed by a label for the proposal or it shall be
ignored."

This already implies that only one proposal is allowed per email. In
reality all of the proposals in Kevan's one message should have been
ignored, since they did not follow the naming convention of rule 3. I think
I will also make a Point of Order along these lines...

- - -
Jeffrey J. Weston
[email-masked]
PGP Public Key : http://www.sir-toby.com/personal-key.asc
- - -

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 21 Dec 2000 17:55:24 -0500

> addition or change within the email.

There is nothing explicit in Rule 3 that says all the suggested
rule-changes in a given email must be considered a single proposal. A
single proposal may contain numerous rule-changes, but no statement in
the rules says that a proposal is an email message.

-- 
- Doc