Subject: Proposal : Documentation

From: "Kevan Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:42:47 -0000

Enact a new Rule, "Documentation":-

The Docnomic environment is strewn with a variety of
Documents, spread between the dark-green Filing Cabinet,
the wire-mesh Wastebin and a number of In-Trays and
Out-Trays (one of each for every Player). The Location
of each Document is part of the Gamestate.

Each Rule is a Document, and its current Location is
noted appropriately in the Ruleset. Whenever a Player's
Proposal amends or creates a Rule, that Rule is moved
to the Player's Out-Tray.

Whenever a Rule is repealed, it goes to the Wastebin.
(Rule Documents in the Wastebin are not considered to
be part of the Ruleset.)

Following passage of this Proposal, all Documents shall be
placed in the Filing Cabinet.

{ Future scope; other non-Rule Documents existing, some
Documents conferring power on their holders, winning
through gathering particular Documents, possibly being
unable to amend Rules in other people's In-Trays, using
In-Tray distribution as a "you there; amend this Rule"
thing from the Doc himself, coloured paper, rubber
stamps, and/or whatever. }

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Jun 2001 11:12:20 -0400

> Enact a new Rule, "Documentation":-

[...]

Welcome to the game -- you've been added to the Player List.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Jun 2001 10:48:27 -0400

> placed in the Filing Cabinet.

ACCEPTED, with a minor change. Again, the ruleset does not allow for
players to propose direct changes to the gamestate. Again, this could
be finessed with a self-deleting rule that makes a once-only
adjustment to the gamestate, but that's ugly. But again, a small
change to the rule accomplishes pretty much the same thing. Now,
arguably, this doesn't quite satisfy the requirement that rewrites not
affect the meaning of the proposal, but after all, I could just make
the change by proclamation anyway...

So the following is appended to the new rule:

Unless otherwise specified by the Ruleset or by Doc's Proclamations,
all Documents are in the Filing Cabinet.

Also, I note a slight defect. "Each Rule['s] ... current Location is
noted ... in the Ruleset", but "Rule Documents in the Wastebin are not
considered to be part of the Ruleset". Does that mean repealed Rules
do not appear in the Ruleset, but their locations do?

-- 
- Doc

---

From: "Kevan Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:01:22 -0000

> players to propose direct changes to the gamestate.

*cough* Oh yes. Sorry about that.

> do not appear in the Ruleset, but their locations do?

I'd imagined them appearing in the Ruleset and being noted as 
Wastebinned, but not being considered legally binding Rules. Very 
badly written, though. And they'd probably be better archived 
elsewhere anyway. Feh. I'll tidy it some other time, since I want to 
propose something else today. Hurrah for Proposal limits.

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"I just might walk home alone."

---

From: "Jeffrey J. Weston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:08:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Kevan Davis wrote:

> > ACCEPTED, with a minor change. Again, the ruleset does not allow >

You're not coming down with something now, are you? I think I
might have a few green pills squirreled way off in an offshore bank
account somewhere. :) Couldn't just let them go to waste...

---

From: John Kipling Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 15:48:07 -0400 (EDT)

Enact a Not So Fundamental Rules: "Pink Slip"

If any Player has this Document in their In Box and this Document is Pink,
then that Player loses 1000 Points (or has their points reduced to 0 if
losing 1000 points would put them below 0 points) and this Document
immediately turns Blue.

If this Document is put into the Filing Cabinet, it immediately turns
Pink.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 26 Jun 2001 10:23:17 -0400

> If this Document is put into the Filing Cabinet, it immediately turns

ACCEPTED.

This Rule Document is white, and is in JKL's out-tray.

-- 
- Doc