Subject: Proposals - Fresh Diseases / Taking it as Read

From: "Kevan " <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 10:35:09 -0000

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal - Fresh Diseases

Enact a new Rule, "Diseases":-

A number of Diseases exist, as detailed in this Rule. Each Player
may suffer from any number of Diseases; the Disease status of each
Player shall be part of the Gamestate.

Some Diseases are communicable. At a moment of his choosing every
Thursday, Doc shall pick two random Players. Any Airborne Disease
borne by the first shall be contracted by the second.

Bit of a Cough (Airborne)
A Player with this Disease should include the string "*cough*" at
least twice in each Proposal message he or she submits, or that
Proposal shall be ignored.

Upon enactment of this Rule, a random Player shall contract "Bit of
a Cough", and this paragraph shall delete itself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal - Taking it as Read

Remove from the Ruleset any sentences containing the phrase "is part
of the gamestate" or "are part of the gamestate".

In Rule 0, replace "Certain information reflecting the state of the
game is known as the Gamestate." with "Any data required to be stored
by a Rule is part of the Gamestate."

Remove "; the Disease status of each Player shall be part of the
Gamestate" from the Rule "Diseases", if it exists.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jeff Weston <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 08:10:41 -0800

>Gamestate" from the Rule "Diseases", if it exists.

If you wish to remove the phrase "is part of the gamestate" from the
rules, there are a number of other rules you need to ammend as well.
Namely: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, and 8.

However, it looks like you are just replacing the phrase "is part of the
gamestate" with "is required to be stored." With your ammendment to the
Disease rule, you don't specify that the state of diseases must be stored.
I'm not too fond of this proposal as it is...

- - -
Jeffrey J. Weston
[email-masked]
PGP Public Key : http://www.sir-toby.com/personal-key.asc
- - -

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 16:40:46 -0000

> Namely: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, and 8.

Er, aren't all of these caught by removing "any sentences containing 
the phrase "is part of the gamestate" or "are part of the 
gamestate""? Or did you misread that first paragraph as being a 
summary of my proposal's intentions, rather than proposed rule-
changes?

> Disease rule, you don't specify that the state of diseases must be 
stored.

Hm, by a rule "requiring data to be stored", I mean a rule stating 
that some data or other needs to be kept track of; keeping track is 
implicit, at least to me, whenever a rule says something like "each 
Player has a number of grommets".

Maybe "is required to be kept track of" or "is mentioned by" or 
something would be clearer, I don't know. Feel free to take this 
Proposal and "clarify its meaning", Doc.

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"What seems to be the problem?"

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 08 Dec 2000 10:18:07 -0500

P3 "Fresh Diseases" was accepted.

P4 "Taking it as Read" was rejected.

See Gamestate for details.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 16:23:16 -0000

>REJECTED. Sorry, Doc's a bit anal about some things. I regard
>the Gamestate as important enough that it should be specified 
>carefully and explicitly. I've gone through the Ruleset and 
>persuaded myself I'd find the Gamestate too ambiguously defined 
>if this Proposal were enacted. 

Come now, surely there's some way we can generically refer to the 
bits of data which the ruleset calls "Gamestate"? How else is it 
possible for our brains to decide whether something should be 
Gamestate or not, when we Propose?

What would be wrong with "Any piece of data required to be tracked by 
the Ruleset, and which does not change by itself, is considered part 
of the Gamestate."? ("By itself" covering the time of day, which we 
need to keep track of for Rule 9. I wouldn't want to grind the 
universe to a halt through careless Proposal. Although maybe there's 
a better phrase than "keep track of" to say what I mean...)

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"Specialist subject, the bleeding obvious."