Subject: Proposal: Amendment to The Epidemiologist

From: "Jeffrey J. Weston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 16:15:46 -0800 (PST)

Amend "The Epidemiologist" by striking from the third paragraph
the phrase, "contract any disease" and replacing it with "contract any
communicable disease".

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 17:05:02 -0000

I disagree. the Epidemiologist studies all diesases, not just 
communicable ones. 
Feyd

--- In [email-masked], "Jeffrey J. Weston" <jjweston@k...>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 20:47:23 -0000

> > the phrase, "contract any disease" and replacing it 
with "contract 
> any

And I disagree with that, because this amendment isn't about 
studying. The bit about not contracting diseases is preceded, in the 
rule, by the explanation "Because of their good health...".

I've known some very healthy Agoraphobics.

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"Five years ago I was a four-stone apology.
Today I am two separate gorillas."

---

From: "Jeffrey J. Weston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 07:57:08 -0800 (PST)

> I disagree. the Epidemiologist studies all diesases, not just 

I don't think the Epidemiologist should be given bonuses against
diseases like FoR, Cluastrophobia, Agoraphobia, Addiction, and physical
injuries. I'll grant that you can probably avoid communicable diseases due
to your good health, but I feel that granting you everything else is a
mistake.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:19:22 -0000

I agree about Psychosis and Injury, but disagree that it should be 
limited to only communicable diseases. 

The Epidemiologist would know that ticks cause Lyme disease, and 
would avoid them, or the woods, or such, while silly nurses whould 
plod on through the brush without thought.

Perhaps:
"The Epidemiologist does not get 25% resistance to diseases of 
type 'Psychosis' or 'Injury'".

In other news, I'm going to take a stab at rewriting the surgeon (pun 
intended). Anyone have thoughts about that?

Feyd

wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 Nomic1@a... wrote:
>

---

From: "Jeffrey J. Weston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:16:01 -0800 (PST)

> limited to only communicable diseases. 

To help should some light on my understanding of epidemiology,
here are some definitions I looked up:

http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=Epidemiologist

One definitions states: "A medical scientist who studies the
transmission and control of epidemic diseases." Then I looked up
epidemic:

http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=epidemic

One definition states: "An outbreak of a contagious disease that
spreads rapidly and widely."

> type 'Psychosis' or 'Injury'".

This would add resistance to two non-communicable / non-contagious
diseases: Migraine and Horrid Rash. I'm not convinced those are valid to
have a resistance to.

Also, I don't like the "everything but..." phrasing. I much prefer
limiting the resistance to limited categories of diseases. If new
categories get created that the Epidemiologist shouldn't be immune to, I
don't want to have to keep revisting this same rule over and over
again...

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:05:50 -0000

Now you see why the Epidemiologist is always so grumpy!!!!!!!!
<grin>.  

The link you point to gives a different definition, to whit: 
ep·i·de·mi·ol·o·gy (p-dm-l-j, -dm-) 
"The branch of medicine that deals with the study of the causes, 
distribution, and control of disease in populations."
Communicable diseases are not mentioned specifically.

Furthermore, the IEI (International Epidemiology Institute) has the 
following information on http://www.ieiltd.com/ "More about IEI".  
As can be seen, the scope of Epidemiology ranges from arsenic 
posioning to Cellular Phone danger to Cancer to water pollution:

===========BEGIN QUOTE ===========================
The Institute provides leading experts in epidemiology and 
biostatistics to evaluate the health effects of: 

Occupational and Environmental Exposures 

arsenic, cadmium, chromate, lead, and other metals 
asbestos, silica, and other fibers 
benzene, tetrachloroethylene (TCE), perchloroethylene (PCE) and other 
organic chemicals 
air and water pollutants 
Radiation 

occupational and environmental exposures 
indoor radon 
EMF and microwave exposures, including cellular phone frequencies 
diagnostic and therapeutic medical irradiation 
Lifestyle Factors 

tobacco 
alcohol 
diet and nutrition, including vitamins, minerals, and health food 
supplements 
Medical Exposures 

pharmaceuticals, including chemotherapeutic agents 
medical procedures and devices 
implants 
post-marketing surveillance 
Host Factors 

genetic susceptibility 
exposure-genetic interactions 
antecedent illnesses or medical conditions 
reproductive risk factors 
Other Factors 

additional factors that influence the risk of cancer, cardiovascular, 
adverse pregnancy outcomes, and other diseases.
==========END QUOTE ================

wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 Nomic1@a... wrote:

I think this is reasonable. The Epidemiologist should know better 
than others how to avoid migranes and Rashs (as opposed to cuts and 
bruises).

Feyd

---

From: "Jeffrey J. Weston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:22:01 -0800 (PST)

You did not ask for pills I believe...

---

From: "Jeffrey J. Weston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:24:33 -0800 (PST)

Did not ask for a pill...

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 [email-masked] wrote:

> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [email-masked]
> 
> 
>

---

From: "Jeffrey J. Weston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:23:42 -0800 (PST)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 17 Jan 2001 22:04:31 -0500

> the phrase, "contract any disease" and replacing it with "contract any

APPROVED. 1 green.

-- 
- Doc