Subject: Request for Comments: Proposal Hospital Committee

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 15:48:27 -0000

I've been thinking about how to trim down the work Doc has to do, 
using Ottis' previous Proposal as a starting point. I'm playing with 
the following premises. Comments welcome:

1. Split "Diseases" and "Injuries". Rule 10 holds diseases, 
but "Glam Rock Shoulder" isn't a disease, it's an injury. The 
Epidemiologist shouldn't be able to cure it. Create a new rule 
called Injuries. "Glam Rock Shoulder" is the only current injury.

2. Create a position "Surgeon" who deals with maintaining injures 
similar to how the Epidemiologist maintains diseases.

3. The Epidemiologist, Surgeon, Psychologist, Pharmist, and Nurse 
form an object called the "Hospital Board".

4. The "Hospital Board" is responsible for reviewing all Diseases, 
Psychosis, and Injuries before they are proposed to Doc.
a. All Diseases must be approved by the Epidemiologist before 
being proposed to Doc.
b. All Psycosis must be approved by the Psychologist before 
being proposed to Doc.
c. All "Injuries" must be approved by the Surgeon before being 
proposed to Doc.
d. A 4/5s majority of the Committee may overturn the decision of 
any single committe member.

These ideas would take 4 separate proposals to enact cleanly. Do 
members in general think this would be a decent idea? Any suggestion 
on what the Surgeon should actually do besides approve injuries?

Feyd

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 16:38:12 -0000

> called Injuries. "Glam Rock Shoulder" is the only current injury.

Mm, good plan; we really could do with sorting our wording out a bit, 
researching "official" medical classifications and whatnot.

> similar to how the Epidemiologist maintains diseases.

In addition to Doc maintaining them in the Ruleset anyway? Why do we 
need this even for the Epidemiologist?

> any single committe member.

What are the mechanics of this, though? Must we contact the relevant 
people through private email beforehand? Do we let them forward the 
approved Proposal to Doc, or send it again ourselves? Must each Board 
member notify other Members of his or her decision, lest they wish to 
overturn it? How late can they overturn a decision? Do we only 
proceed with their approval, or give them a couple of days, or what?

Even with precise definitions, though, I'm not so sure I like this - 
the current Imperial system works nicely because Doc isn't a Player; 
he's able to judge Proposals objectively. Giving individual, active 
Players total veto power over particular aspects of the game seems a 
touch harsh.

> on what the Surgeon should actually do besides approve injuries?

Perhaps obviously, he could be responsible for approving surgery on 
appropriate ailments (the way that Doc and the Nurse do already). I 
suppose there might be some mileage in transplant operations, too, as 
a way of giving Body Points to other Players...

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"I'm leaving my body to science fiction."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 08 Jan 2001 17:30:10 -0500

> the following premises. Comments welcome:

Nice of you to work on reducing my work load, but I can't help
thinking you're trimming at the wrong end. "Approving diseases" (and
injuries, yes, I like that distinction) isn't time- or
effort-consuming the way *administering* diseases is! 

Frankly, your proposed proposals strike me as a bit unwieldy, creating
a 5-member bureaucracy to solve a problem that isn't even really a
problem... 

Parcelling out the Office Hours duties, now, that'd be a good thing.

-- 
- Doc