Subject: Proposal: Enthropy

From: "Stefano Artesi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 19:24:56 +0200

Enact a new rule, "Enthropy", with the following text:

« There is a new Gamestate variable called Enthropy Direction, which may be
'Positive' or 'Negative'. E. D. may be changed according to other rules. Its
initial value is 'Positive'.

Every time a Proposal is accepted, Enthropy changes. This means that the
points average of all players is calculated. Then, every player whose
points are above the average loses 1 point, and every player with fewer
points gains 1 point. If a player has exactly as many points as the average
he doesn't gain or lose points.
If Enthropy Direction is set to 'Negative', these gains and losses are
reversed. »

This should help the newcomers ;-)

Stefano

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 02 Jul 2002 16:20:42 -0400

> This should help the newcomers ;-)

REJECTED.

First, and most trivially, I think the word you're looking for is
"entropy". 

Second, entropy is physics. This round isn't about physics.

Third, this takes points from the rich and gives them to the poor,
with no particular justification except assisting new players. Then
again, if entropy becomes negative, it takes from the poor and gives
to the rich, with no justification at all. It might even drive the
poor into negative point territory.

Fourth, it doesn't even do much for the players it allegedly favors.
1 point per proposal for the below-averages, versus 10 for the
followers of the proposer's doctrine? It's better than nothing, from
the have-nots' point of view, but not by enough to matter. Far better
to join the most influential Doctrine, if it's points you're after.

And fifth, it requires too frequent math and gamestate adjusting on
Doc's part.

I'm sure, if you want to redistribute the wealth, you can think of
easier-on-Doc ways of doing it that are more consonant with this
round's theme.

-- 
- Doc