Subject: Proposal - The Doctor Will See You Now

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 15:58:00 -0000

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal - The Doctor Will See You Now

{ The way things are going, it'd seem useful to have a defined - if
movable - weekly point, at which Doc does weekly things. }

Enact a new Rule, "Surgery":-

Doc's Surgery typically takes place at a time of his choosing every
Thursday, although he may delay any Surgery by up to six days, or
even cancel it if he finds himself too busy. A Surgery lasts for as
long as it takes for Doc to process every action required in that
Surgery.

In Rule 9, replace "At midnight Monday GMT of every week" with
"During each Surgery".

In Rule 10 (Diseases), replace "At a moment of his choosing every
Thursday" with "During each Surgery".

----------------------------------------------------------------------

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"Denzil, you have broken my hat."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Dec 2000 12:50:40 -0500

> Enact a new Rule, "Surgery":-

Question: What, in the vernacular of your country (England?) is the
relevant definition of the word "surgery"? I'm aware that it differs
from US usage, and I think I have a reasonably correct understanding,
but I'd like to check against yours.

In the US, I believe it's fair to say "surgery" refers only to a
medical procedure involving cutting / removing / reattaching /
etc. 

What's the usage elsewhere, if there is anyone out there from
elsewhere? 

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 20:03:27 -0000

> What's the usage elsewhere, if there is anyone out there from

Mm, it can also refer to the doctor's office itself (or the building 
containing such offices, if it's a small hospital concerned with 
little more than diagnoses and minor treatment), or the time of a 
given day in which the doctor is available to consult with, or treat, 
patients.

No idea how specific such meanings are to Britain, though. Feel free 
to replace it with something more universally acceptable before 
implementing the Proposal, though, if such was your only reservation.

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"I'm having an out-of-anorak experience."