Subject: Proposal: Sore Throat

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 15:18:12 -0000

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal - Sore Throat

Create a new Disease in Rule 10:-

Sore Throat (Airborne)
If a Player has a Sore Throat, they may only take Blue Pills
(known for their anaesthetic qualities), unless they have taken
a Blue Pill during the past hour, in which case they may take
any Pills.
If a Player takes three Blue Pills at once, he or she is cured
of this Disease.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ottis Airhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 09:37:02 -0600

In light of the upcoming PDP, I am REALLY starting to like the idea of
keeping all diseases, effect, stipulations, and cures in the egroups
database where players may make changes, search, etc. It could be
maintained by the Epidemiologist.

What would players (and Doc) think about making the Epidemiologist in
charge of disease approval? It seems fitting. If people like this idea,
I'll make a proposal to change the disease and cure listing to the database
and then have the Epidemiologist approve and maintain that database. I
think if we divy out some more responsibility, the game could flow more. If
Doc handles rule changes, the E. (Epidemiologist) handles disease
maintenance, the Nurse handles operations when Doc can't, the Psychiatrist
handles curing Psychosis, the Pharmacist handles pill purchases, and we
could come up with a banker if we wish to handle the money every week.

Ottis

At 03:18 PM 1/4/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>[email-masked]
>
>

---

From: "Feyd " <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 16:47:47 -0000

Cool Idea. I think you should go for it. some Comments:

Who gives pills for Proposed diseases that are accepted? (or should 
we make that a standard "2 green" or something since disease rules 
are pretty stadard by now?).

While each expert has their own area, should other experts be able to 
gang up? For example, if the Epidemiologist refuses to approve a 
disease, could the Nurse, Pharmacist, Psychologist vote to override? 
Hm, maybe that would be better as an amendment than part of the 
initial rule....

I like the way this divvies up duties while keeping clearly 
responsible entities.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 04 Jan 2001 17:28:11 -0500

Ottis Airhart <[email-masked]> writes:

> and then have the Epidemiologist approve and maintain that database.
> Ottis

I'm against it... I don't see that the PDP alters the previous
arguments on the subject. Diseases are naturally a part of the
ruleset; having them separate would be tantamount to having two
separate rulesets, one covering diseases and one "everything else",
with two different procedures for enacting rules (diseases). It would
complicate any situations where a rule that otherwise ought to be in
the regular ruleset also affects or is affected by a particular
disease, thus having to straddle both rulesets.

> I

But I do agree spreading the responsibility is a Good Thing. I'd be
happy to unload responsibility for e.g. determining who gets which
disease when, tracking cures, etc.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: "Feyd " <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 22:41:08 -0000

Ottis,

You could change it to: "Only the Epidemiologist may make Proposals 
which affect Rule 10. Any player may send a message to the 
Epidemiologist asking him to propose a new disease."

That would keep things the way they are, and then Doc only has to 
rubber stamp what the Epidemiologist choses to propose. The 
Epidemiologist may get FoR (but unlikely if e's doing es job). It 
would help trim the number of proposals to the Doc at lease.

Doc, if you think this is a better idea then maybe Otis and I can 
take it to private email and work out the kinks?

Feyd

--- In [email-masked], rsholmes@m... wrote:
> Ottis Airhart <oairhart@i...> writes:
>

---

From: Ottis Airhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 17:49:10 -0600

>disease when, tracking cures, etc.

Is there any possible way to give the Epidemiologist access to the ruleset
for disease modification? The only thing I was trying to establish was a
way in which the E. could easily maintain the list.

I am already confused by how we have the diseases and cures setup. At least
half of the cures are contained with the disease (which is where I believe
it belongs) rather than in the rule covering cures.

I think it might be nice, from a maintenance and review standpoint, to at
least break out the actual listing of diseases to the bottom of the
ruleset. That way, a player can scan the rules without encountering 2 pages
of disease descriptions... not that it shouldn't be part of the ruleset. I
concede your point on that issue for now.

Moving the disease listing to the bottom of the ruleset would enable a
player, especially a new player, to easily review the rules on play, etc.

Doc could make a command decision to do this. I think it could help in all
aspects of ruleset maintenance.

Ottis (2 'T's Feyd)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 08 Jan 2001 20:45:00 -0500

ACCEPTED. 1 green pill (dispensed).

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 08 Jan 2001 20:47:25 -0500

Oops, this violates "Proposal Framework" and must be ignored.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 08 Jan 2001 20:53:12 -0500

> aspects of ruleset maintenance.

I hereby do so, simply making the Diseases rule Rule +infinity, and I
give Ottis 1 purple pill for suggesting it.

-- 
- Doc