Subject: Proposal: Reasonable Diarrhoea

From: "Jeffrey J. Weston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 08:46:01 -0800 (PST)

Amend "Diseases" by striking the first paragraph of the Diarrhoea
description and replacing it with the following:

A Player with Diarrhoea is entirely at the mercy of their intestinal whim.
Any active player may attempt to move a Player with Diarrhoea to the
Toilets, at any time, provided that no other player has made an attempt
already that day. When the attempt is made, there is a 50% chance that the
victim will move immediately to the toilets, unless they would be unable
to reach that room through normal means. When the attempt is successfull,
the victim may opt to remain in their current room, at the loss of 10 body
points.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 16:07:01 -0000

> the victim may opt to remain in their current room, at the loss of 
10 body

Jeff,
This seems much more reasonable than the current disease.

Feyd

---

From: "Kevan Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 16:26:40 -0000

> the victim may opt to remain in their current room, at the loss of 
10 body

Mm, better, although the randomness seems a bit poor in light of your 
earlier comments on strategy being lost, and the retroactive 
avoidance seems - whilst well-themed - a shade reckless. ("What's 
that? Player X moved me to the Toilets while I was offline last 
night? I declare it undone, along with every single repercussion.")

I think allowing the movement (ahem) once every two days, or at any 
time at the expense of 10 Soul points from the instigator, might be a 
better way to balance things.

Mind you, since the current implementation relies on other people 
taking action, there's nothing to stop a sufferer making dire threats 
towards potential harassers...

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"Better get a bucket."

---

From: "Jeffrey J. Weston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:27:48 -0800 (PST)

> towards potential harassers...

Dire threats? Hah! The current implementation can keep the
sufferer in the toilets 24/7 without real work or any penalty for doing
so. There's nothing a sufferer can do that's of any real threat.

Feyd is the only one who any real power to threaten people and
follow through, being able to give out any disease on a whim. I hope I can
correct that soon. The Epidemiologist rule really adds nothing to the game
except to give Feyd a huge advantage over everybody else.

One of two thing should be changed about the Diarrhoea disease.
Either is has to be harder to keep the sufferer in the toilets (my
approach), or there has to be a penalty to put someone into the toilets.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Feb 2001 12:36:59 -0500

> > the victim may opt to remain in their current room, at the loss of 

-5 SP.

> night? I declare it undone, along with every single repercussion.")

Indeed. Especially since there seems to be no time limit on the
retroactivity: "Hmm, on second thought, I think I'll not have gone to
the toilet a week and a half ago..."

> better way to balance things.

A SP hit would be consistent with the way similar things are done
elsewhere, though 10 seems high. E.g., Deliberate Contagion costs
only 5 SP and 5 BP, and one trip to the toilets seems less malicious
than that.

Hmm, maybe something like a 5 SP hit coupled with an amendment to
Hospital Rooms saying a Player may move emself (freely except as
restricted by rules) *or* another Player (as permitted by rules) *or*
a Zombie (as permitted by rules) only once per day?

-- 
- Doc