Subject: Pills and Therapies

From: Britta Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Jan 2001 14:24:38 CET

I would like to take a green pill against this cough I've been having.
Also, dear Doctor, could we organise a therapy session?
And I'd like to buy a purple pill from the pharmacy.

Britta

-- 
/"\ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 
\ /	ASCII Ribbon Campaign	[email-masked]
X	- NO HTML/RTF in e-mail 
/ \	- NO Word docs in e-mail "My other car is a cdr."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 14:19:09 -0000

> And I'd like to buy a purple pill from the pharmacy.

The taking and purchase of pills can (and, indeed, should) be done 
legally via the PDP, now that the relevant Proposal has passed.

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"And I need pills to wake me up as well."

---

From: "Feyd " <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 15:19:48 -0000

Kevan,
How does one attempt to cure diseases that require multiple pills? 
Do we generate our own random number and then add/subtract as 
necessary? Or does the script handle that?

Feyd

---

From: Ottis Airhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 09:53:47 -0600

In this interim time of conversion to the PDP, I am being very careful to
make sure all players maintain the exact same gamestate until the PDP entry
deadline is complete. Therefore, I have taken care of Britta's request (for
the green pill and the purchase of the purple pill). Britta is now
completely up to date.

Shouldn't there be a purchase pill option that will automatically decrement
the correct cash for the purchase price from the pharmacy?

Ottis

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 15:51:38 -0000

> necessary? Or does the script handle that?

To quote Rule 8:-

"Whenever a Player takes a Pill, a percentage success rating for each 
Pill is given in the Change Log; this should be used to determine the 
Pill's success in whatever effects are specified. (For example, if a 
Green Pill has a 30% chance of curing a Player of Nasty Cough, a 
success rating of 30% or less for a Green Pill means that the Player 
is cured.)"

(Did you get your password alright, by the way? My Web-based email 
coughed and fell over rather a lot when I tried to send the message.)

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"I know I took strange pills, but I never meant to hurt you."

---

From: Ottis Airhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 09:54:40 -0600

I still think the Nurse should attempt that cure.

At 03:19 PM 1/5/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>[email-masked]
>
>

---

From: Ottis Airhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:02:17 -0600

Big problem, though... I administered 1 green pill for Feyd and it said
30%. Then I cured him of the disease and the percentage change to 44%. Then
I tested it again and it changed to 61%... this was all in the logs. If we
are to depend on that percentage as printed, then it needs to be statically
stored for each record in the log instead of being regenerated each
display. If every log entry changes the percentage displayed for an already
entered log entry, then there can be no proof of what it ever was. I can
not condone using that percentage until it is stabilized.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 16:02:28 -0000

> the correct cash for the purchase price from the pharmacy?

Perhaps, although I don't intend the PDP to be *that* intelligent; 
it's really more of a logging tool than a bells-and-whistles game 
simulation.

I suppose Purchasing is a simple and likely-permanent enough thing to 
be worth coding, though. I might well add it over the weekend.

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"Man and machine, keep yourself clean."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 16:03:22 -0000

Kevan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 16:30:30 -0000

> I tested it again and it changed to 61%... this was all in the logs.

Ahem. Whoops. I thought I'd put a random-number seed in at the start 
of the script, but evidently I hadn't. It's fixed now; all random 
numbers in the Change Log will remain as they are, and future ones 
will be just as stable. Carry on.

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"I can always sense danger."