Subject: Proposal: Alternate Pharmacy Changes

From: "Jeffrey J. Weston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:12:04 -0800 (PST)

I take one red pill. PDP updated.

I don't mean to stomp on Martin's idea. However, I brought up a
number of problems with the first one and a few of them have not been
resolved. Namely, what if a rule gives out a pill, but the pharmacy
doesn't have it? Also, I don't like requiring the PDP to handle the
process, along with the subsequent interim measures. If Kevan never
updated the PDP, this rule will have no effect. I much prefer a rule that
has an immediate effect, and then can later be amended if Kevan decides to
update the PDP to accomodate the rule.

As such... I propose the Alternate Pharmacy Changes that I worked
up and even sent to Martin for review.

Notice that I still include the Pharmacist position, and that the
Pharmacist is responsible for updating the PDP when players buy and sell
pills. I don't think this will be a huge concern, because I haven't seen
too many people buying pills as it is. I think its a small price to pay
for being able to see these effects immediately.

----- Start Proposal Text -----

Create a new rule entitiled "Pharmacist" with the following text:

A player shall hold the office of Pharmacist. The identity of the
Pharmacist shall be part of the gamestate.

When this rule is enacted, the Pharmacist shall be the person variously
known as Sir Toby, Jeff Weston, or jjweston. This paragraph will then
repeal itself from this rule.

The Pharmacist tracks the inventory and pricing of items in the Pharmacy.
All required information must be stored in one or more eGroups databases.
As compensation for such duties, the Pharmacist receives 75 cash points
during their Office Hours. If the Pharmacist is unable to update the
eGroups database(s) at least once in between their Office Hours, they will
be declared unfit for office and Doc must replace them immediately.

During the Pharmacist's Office Hours, the Pharmacist must take the
following actions in this order:

- Handle all outstanding Pharmacy transactions.
- Receive their compensation.
- Make pills for the Pharmacy.
- Adjust the prices for items bought and sold by the Pharmacy.

When making pills, the Pharmacist produces a number of pills of each color,
determined by the following equations. The pills are immediately added to
the Pharmacy's inventory.

Yellow Pills : n * 1.00
Purple Pills : n * 1.25
Red Pills : n * 1.50
Blue Pills : n * 1.75
Green Pills : n * 2.00

n is the number of players in the game. Any fractions are rounded
mathematically to the nearest integer.

The Pharmacist must use the following equation to set the prices for pills:

( 50 / x ) * p

p is the base price for players buying or selling pills, detailed in the
following table. x is the current number of pills in stock of that color.
Any fractions are rounded mathematically to the nearest integer.

color : buy : sell
-------+-----+-----
Yellow : 40 : 30
purple : 35 : 25
red : 30 : 20
blue : 25 : 15
green : 20 : 10

Amend "Pharmacy" to read in full:

The Pharmacy sells pharmaceutical items to players for cash. Any player
may, at any time, buy items available from the Pharmacy, if the Pharmacy
has the item in stock. The Pharmacy can never have a negative quantity of
an item in stock. Players may also sell unused items in their possession
back to the Pharmacy for cash. Any such transaction must be sent to the
mailing list. The Pharmacist will then update the PDP and adjust the
Pharmacy's stocks as appropriate.

The Pharmacy redeems pill coupons and will exchange a player's coupon for
the exact quantity and color of pills as listed on the coupon, if the
Pharmacy has the required items in stock.

The Pharmacy purchases and sells the following items:

Yellow Pills
Purple Pills
Red Pills
Blue Pills
Green Pills

The Pharmacy gives away the following items for free:

"Getting Over Your Addiction" Pamphlets
"101 Ways to Avoid Infection" Pamphlets

In the interests of public health and safety, a single player may not
purchase more than 3 pills of each type from the Pharmacy in one day.

The price for purchasing and sellng pills is part of the gamestate,
maintained by the Pharmacist, and stored in an eGroups database. The
quantities of pills are limited. The quantity of each pill remaining is
part of the gamestate, maintained by the Pharmacist, and stored in an
eGroups database. Pamphlets are printed to order.

Pills are made only in the pharmacy, and may not be created by any other
means. All pills given to players provided through the action of any other
rule, must therefore be withdrawn from the Pharmacy stocks. If the Pharmacy
has insufficient stocks to give out for a particular rule action, the
player will instead receive a pill coupon listing the exact quantity and
color of pills they are to receive. This paragraph takes precedence over
every rule that gives pills to players. Each player's inventory of coupons
and what is listed on them is part of the gamestate, maintained by the
Pharmacist, and stored in an eGroups database.

When this rule is amended with these changes, the quantity of each pill
available in the Pharmacy will be set to 50. The Pharmacy will sell yellow
pills at 40 and buy them at 30. The Pharmacy will sell purple pills at 35
and buy them at 25. The Pharmacy will sell red pills at 30 and buy them at
20. The Pharmacy will sell blue pills at 25 and buy them at 15. The
Pharmacy will sell green pills at 20 and buy them at 10. This paragraph
will then repeal itself from the rule.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 26 Jan 2001 20:56:44 -0500

> Any fractions are rounded mathematically to the nearest integer.

APPROVED. 1 green.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 26 Jan 2001 21:11:07 -0500

This creates the 27th rule (implemented as Rule 9).

A-phobes Kevan and Mark lose 5 SPs.

C-phobes Jeff and Feyd gain 5 SPs.

27% chance to get A-phobia for Ottis, Jeff, Feyd, and Martin:

4 random reals 0 < x < 1:
0.387908935546875
0.8577880859375
0.776397705078125
0.760009765625

No one does.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: "Jeffrey J. Weston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 21:31:46 -0800 (PST)

On 26 Jan 2001 [email-masked] wrote:

> > [snip]
> > [snip]

Pharmacy stocks updated. PDP updated.

Got a pill?