Subject: Proposal: Fixing 1004

From: "Tyrethali Ansrath" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 13:46:34 -0400

In rule 1004, replace "create a new precept" with "create a new precept, and 
add it to the list of available precepts in rule 1003,"

(end proposal - start discussion)

As far as creating precepts which take precedence over the rules, I didn't 
intend the creating precepts rule to be able to do that. What I meant was 
that when a player has choices to make, 1004 precepts can either force a 
certain decision, or restrict them from making a certain choice. So, while a 
precept could keep a player from leaving willingly, for example, it couldn't 
stop them from being kicked out when their proposal fails, if it were still 
the case where that happened. It was thusly intended for a quick and easy 
way for leaders to create behavoiral modification commands, while leaving 
more powerful, directly-gamestate-altering precepts, to the realm of 
proposals.

Of course, that was just my intention when writing it as to the meaning, and 
why I said "Precepts made in this manner may only enforce or restrict 
certain actions on the part of the players..." YMMV (Your meaning may vary.)

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 24 Jun 2002 14:43:14 -0400

> add it to the list of available precepts in rule 1003,"

OK. +10 points for followers of Semantic Solipsism (Tyrethali).

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 24 Jun 2002 14:59:39 -0400

> add it to the list of available precepts in rule 1003,"

Oops, wait a second. I just realized this makes the rule say "any
player may... add (a new precept) to... rule 1003".

But how is "any player" to do that? Ruleset changes take effect when
posted to the web site, but Doc is the only person who can post the
ruleset to the web site. So players cannot change the ruleset
directly. (Nor should they; even with this end run around Doc's
discretion, Doc at least must be the one who decides if the end run
conforms to the rule.)

Revised judgement: REJECTED.

-- 
- Doc