Subject: Proposals: Chronicity / Fear / Cough / Bloaty / Death / Shrink

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:38:28 -0000

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal - Nothing Chronic

Remove the Chronic-mentioning sentence from the definition of "Fear
of Rejection".

Remove the "Prescription" and "Chronic" paragraphs from Rule 14
(Cures).

{ It seems a bit slapdash and generic; I'd rather see certain
specific diseases leading to others (and some diseases being
trivial or even beneficial) than sweeping Pill-quadrupling and
Proposal denial for every single one. }

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal - Fear Itself

Add "Whenever a Player with Fear of Rejection submits a Proposal,
they lose 5 Soul Points." to the definition of that Disease.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal - Nasty Cough You've Got There

Create a new Disease:-

Nasty Cough (Airborne)
A Player with this Disease should include the string "*cough*" at
least four times in each Proposal message he or she submits, or
that Proposal shall be ignored. That Player loses 8 Body Points
for each Proposal he or she submits.

During Office Hours, any Player with A Bit of a Cough has a 30%
chance of that Disease being replaced by Nasty Cough. If a Player
would catch Nasty Cough from another Player, they catch A Bit of
a Cough instead.

Each Green Pill a Player takes has a 30% of curing them of this
Disease.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal - Bloaty Head

{ Hm, has anyone else played "Theme Hospital"? }

To "Diseases", add the paragraph:-

Some Diseases are operable by certain staff, for a given cost.
A Player may request such an operation from a relevant staff
member, if he or she can afford the operation; upon such a
request being acknowledged, the Player is cured of the Disease
and loses Cash equal to the cost.

Create a new Disease:-

Bloaty Head (Physical)
A Player with Bloaty Head suffers tremendous discomfort, and
loses 10 Body Points during Office Hours. Bloaty Head is cured
using a special machine, which can only be operated by Doc or
the Nurse. This operation costs 100 Cash, and is harrowing
enough to reduce the patient's Soul Points by 10.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal - Death, Insanity, Rebirth

Remove the "Death" section from Rule 14. Enact a new Rule, "Death
and Insanity":-

If a Player has zero Body Points, he or she is considered Dead. If
a Player is Dead, they may take no game actions (other than
submitting Proposals) for the remainder of the current Round, and
their Body Points may not be increased.

If a Player has zero Soul Points, he or she is considered Insane.
Insane Players may take no game actions, although Doc is free to
take game actions on their behalf, in what he feels is in keeping
with their insanity.

When a new Round begins, any Dead Players are given twenty-five
Body Points (this overrides the earlier paragraph) and lose any
Diseases they might have had.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal - In the Psychiatrist's Chair

Enact a new Rule, "Psychiatrist":-

The Psychiatrist deals with the diagnosis, treatment, and
prevention of mental and emotional disorders, and is able,
through counselling, to treat the Psychoses of other Players.

At any given time, one Player may be a Psychiatrist (their
identity is part of the gamestate). Anyone wishing to be
treated by the Psychiatrist should make such a request on the
mailing list. The Psychiatrist may honour such requests by
announcing to the list that, after a tense and emotional
counselling session, any or all of the Psychoses suffered by
that Player have been lost.

The Psychiatrist may not counsel themselves, but, through mutual
understanding and personal development, any Psychosis they cure
in another Player is automatically cured in themselves, if they
have it.

If the Psychiatrist's Soul Points drop below thirty, Doc may
reassign the role elsewhere.

Upon enactment of this Rule, Kevan becomes the Psychiatrist.
This paragraph then removes itself from the ruleset.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"I'm listening."

---

From: "Feyd " <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:48:53 -0000

--- In [email-masked], kevan@s... wrote:
> Proposal - Bloaty Head -- Description of type (Physical)
> Create a new Disease:- Bloaty Head
This has to be proposed as an amendment to Rule 10.

> Proposal - Death, Insanity, Rebirth
I don't like this one. I think that in Round 2 should be something 
like all pills, cash, soul, and body are reset.

> Proposal - In the Psychiatrist's Chair

Good grief, you'd better hope some of these are accepted, or you're 
going to get Fear of Rejection.

BTW: what happens if you have FoR cronic and a proposal is rejected?

Feyd

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 20 Dec 2000 15:48:31 -0500

> Proposal denial for every single one. }

ACCEPTED. 1 green pill.

> they lose 5 Soul Points." to the definition of that Disease.

ACCEPTED. 1 green pill.

> Each Green Pill a Player takes has a 30% of curing them of this

ACCEPTED. 1 green pill.

> enough to reduce the patient's Soul Points by 10.

REJECTED. I'd like not to add diseases that can't be caught (yet).
Kevan has Fear of Rejection.

> Diseases they might have had.

REJECTED. I don't see why a dead player should be able to submit
proposals, and I don't see why dead players should benefit at the end
of round in ways insane and other players do not.

> This paragraph then removes itself from the ruleset.

ACCEPTED. This creates Rule 20. Agoraphobia check: 5 players
eligible, 20% chance:

5 random reals 0 < x < 1:
0.165008544921875
0.421661376953125
0.168365478515625
0.646270751953125
0.658905029296875

Feyd and Jim have Agoraphobia. Britta and Mark lose 5 soul points.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 20 Dec 2000 15:50:33 -0500

Oh, and Kevan's Fear of Rejection is cured.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: "Feyd " <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:31:43 -0000

In the following sequence of Proposals revewed by Doc, the following 
progression should have occurred:

At "Bloaty Head", Keven contracts "Fear of Rejection". 
(Noted by Doc)
At "Death, Insanity, Rebirth", Keven loses 5 soul points.
at "In the Psychiatrist's Chair" Keven Loses 5 soul Points, and "Fear 
of Rejection" is cured.

You forgot to subject 10 soul points for 2 proposals submitted 
with "Fear of Rejection".

Feyd

--- In [email-masked], rsholmes@m... wrote:
> kevan@s... writes:

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:56:19 -0000

> REJECTED. I'd like not to add diseases that can't be caught (yet).

Oops. Must have misplaced that bit during some cut-and-paste. 
(Although our resident NASTY MAN - a phrase, incidentally, which 
caused great amusement this morning; kudos, there - would be able to 
bloat our heads if he felt the need, of course.) Oh well.

> proposals,

Well, it seems a shame to completely remove a Player's influence on 
the game. Quietly submitting ideas from the Other Side until the next 
Round began seemed better than thumb-twiddling or (indeed) losing 
interest in a game that you're reduced to commenting on. If anything 
it'd be interesting to see a bunch of Dead Players trying to speed 
the Round up.

> and I don't see why dead players should benefit at the end

Mm, they only get enough Body Points to take them fairly clear of a 
repeated death, and lose any Diseases that might have contributed to 
them dying in the first place. It seemed fair recompense for the 
severe disability of Death, which could drag on for a while.

(Insane Players shouldn't find it too hard to get *some* Soul back, 
of course, and ill Players will likely sort themselves out in the 
time that our Dead friends were sitting around being Dead.)

I was overstretching myself a bit in that Proposal, though. I'll give 
it a rethink.

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"Shut up and get on the cart."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 20 Dec 2000 17:34:37 -0500

> with "Fear of Rejection".

(Mr Weston submitted essentially the same POO).

No! Kevan did *not* submit any proposals with "Fear of Rejection".
At the time the proposals were submitted Kevan did not have "FoR". At
the time the last two were *judged* he did, but the soul point
deduction is only for proposals *submitted* with "FoR".

HOWEVER... I then went and made Feyd's mistake with Ottis's
proposals. I deducted 15 S.P.s incorrectly. Sorry Ottis! I'll fix. 

-- 
- Doc