Subject: some random things.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 20:10:26 -0400

Create a new precept:

"
Fundamentalism
When this Precept is adopted, the Leader of the adopting Doctrine must pick one Object (defined below) to worship. If the Object that a Doctrine is currently worshipping is destroyed for any reason, then that Doctrine loses the Precept of Fundamentalism. (It may be added again by the Leader of that Doctrine, choosing a different Object.)

All messages by any member of a Doctrine with Fundamentalism must praise the worshipped Object at least once.

If two Doctrines, both with Fundamentalism, merge and they are worshipping different Objects, then the Doctrine that results from the Merger does NOT have the Fundamentalism precept. (This paragraph takes precedence over rule 1009.)

An Object is defined as: any Rule, Player, another Doctrine, or Doc. Other rules may define other Gamestate items to be Objects.
"

-----------

If the above Precept is accepted, I will add Fundamentalism to the Doctrine Forty-Two, and choose to worship Rule 11.

-----------

I then propose a Merger (by rule 1009) with the Doctrine "Semantic Solipsism." (Leader - Tyrethali)

-----------

Yep, that's it. 

Maybe I'll think of a good proposal soon.

-hubert

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 01 Jul 2002 13:46:59 -0400

[email-masked] writes:

> Create a new precept:
> 
> "
> Fundamentalism
>
> When this Precept is adopted, the Leader of the adopting Doctrine
> must pick one Object (defined below) to worship. If the Object that
> a Doctrine is currently worshipping is destroyed for any reason,
> then that Doctrine loses the Precept of Fundamentalism. (It may be
> added again by the Leader of that Doctrine, choosing a different
> Object.)
> 
> All messages by any member of a Doctrine with Fundamentalism must
> praise the worshipped Object at least once.
> 
> If two Doctrines, both with Fundamentalism, merge and they are
> worshipping different Objects, then the Doctrine that results from
> the Merger does NOT have the Fundamentalism precept. (This paragraph
> takes precedence over rule 1009.)
> 
> An Object is defined as: any Rule, Player, another Doctrine, or Doc.
> Other rules may define other Gamestate items to be Objects. "

Since this is not labelled as a Proposal, I assume it is a suggested
new Precept as regulated by Rule 1004.

That rule says, "Precepts made in this manner may not force or permit
players to do anything otherwise illegal. (For example, gaining points
in a manner unspecified by normal rules.)"

The stipulation that "If the Object that a Doctrine is currently
worshipping is destroyed for any reason, then that Doctrine loses the
Precept of Fundamentalism" seems to violate the spirit of the above
requirement, since it forces something otherwise illegal to happen (a
Doctrine's loss of a Precept other than by its Leader's removing it),
though perhaps not the letter, since the loss is automatic, not
something done by a player. Same for the following paragraph about
doctrine mergers.

More seriously, Rule 1004 says "Such a Precept may only enforce or
restrict certain actions on the part of the Players who follow the
Doctrines which have them." The suggested precept does more than
restrict actions of its followers; it modifies the way a doctrine that
has this precept behaves, if the object of worship is destroyed, or
the nature of the created new doctrine if two doctrines with this
precept merge.

For this reason, I find that the suggested precept exceeds the
limitations imposed by Rule 1004 and therefore may not be added via
that rule's mechanism.

> If the above Precept is accepted, I will add Fundamentalism to the
> Doctrine Forty-Two, and choose to worship Rule 11.

Since it wasn't, you don't.

> Solipsism." (Leader - Tyrethali)

The wording (and punctuation) suggest that this merger proposal does
not depend on acceptance of the suggested precept. But as the two
doctrines do not have a precept in common, they cannot merge.

-- 
- Doc