Subject: Pending proposals P11-P15, and Proclamation X2

From: [email-masked]
Date: 13 Dec 2000 12:25:02 -0500

P11 "The Doctor Will See You Now": ACCEPTED. 1 green pill.

P12: REJECTED. (But welcome to the game, Ottis!) Frankly, mainly
because this creates too much work for Doc. Additionally, it
contributes to confusion over the role of pills -- they're doled out
automatically once a week, regardless of disease, yet they're also
prescribed according to disease here, and they're also handed out
arbitrarily for accepted proposals. The whole pills/prescription
thing needs some careful thought, and it could go any of several ways
-- depending on how you see Doc. Is he a conscientious, careful, and
ethical doctor... or is he handing out pills like candy in return for
favors rendered? And one minor quibble: does "Every tenth checkup"
mean literally nine checkups in a row don't show an instant cure and
the next one does, or that Doc throws a 10-sided die and you're cured
if it comes up 10?

P13: REJECTED. This was submitted as a second proposal, but really
is (I think) part and parcel of the first. Anyway, it doesn't make
much sense without the first.

P14 "Have you been taking your medicine?": ACCEPTED -- but see
Proclamations. 1 green pill.

P15: REJECTED. (And welcome, Feyd!) There are elements of this
proposal I like. Systematizing the diseases in this way is a good
thing. But I dislike the idea of extending the concept of "Proposal"
to cover direct changes to the gamestate, especially since it seems
unnecessary; I don't see any benefit, under the proposed setup, to
taking the disease definitions out of the ruleset and putting them in
the gamestate. Not only do I not see any benefit, but it conflicts
with Rule 10, which states

A number of Diseases exist, as detailed in this Rule.

Since Rule 10 would have the lower rule number, it would take
precedence, and diseases defined under this rule would have no legal
standing.

X2: Doc proclaims:

Rule 14 is hereby amended as follows:

Delete the text "Because of the small number of players, Doc will
be the Nurse until he decides that another player shall be holder
of that office." (now that it has taken effect, this provision is
no longer needed.)

In the definition of Death, replace "this nomic" with "this Round
of this Nomic".

-- 
- Doc