Subject: Updates to PDP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:06:24 -0000

Feyd takes a Green pill to remove FoR PDP updated.
Feyd was outside the last two days, PDP updated (he has 
Claustrophobia).

Feyd

---

From: "Kevan Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:01:54 -0000

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal - Tourette's Syndrome 

Create a new Disease:-

Tourette's Syndrome (Psychosis)
If a Player feels that a posting to the mailing list should have
been made by private email, or should not have been made at all,
he or she may give Tourette's Syndrome to the Player who posted
it. (Doc may undo this and fine the Player up to 500 Cash for
wasting hospital time, if he feels that the posting was fair
enough.)

Whenever a Player with Tourette's Syndrome posts to the mailing
list, any Player may, in the next twenty-four hours, dock them two
Soul Points for that message (provided that no Player has already
done so for that message).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:33:14 -0000

>From paragraph 1 of rule 1000: "All diseases must have a Name, a 
Type, Symptoms, and a Cure." 

There is no cure mentioned for this disease.

Feyd

---

From: "Jeffrey J. Weston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:41:06 -0800 (PST)

> Feyd was outside the last two days, PDP updated (he has 

Green doesn't cure FoR, Purple does....

---

From: "Kevan Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 17:04:02 -0000

> There is no cure mentioned for this disease.

All Psychoses can be cured by "Specific Counselling" from the 
Psychiatrist. In fact, any Disease can be cured by the Epidemiologist,
so for the purposes of that paragraph, *all* Diseases automatically 
have a Cure of some sort.

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"A Haliborange overdose is perhaps not the right way."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 29 Jan 2001 12:43:01 -0500

ACCEPTED. As Feyd points out, this disease has no specific cure.
Kevan replies that it has a cure, as do all diseases, since the
Epidemiologist and, in this case, the Psychiatrist can cure them.

I dislike that argument. It renders tautological the requirement that
all diseases must have cures. I don't think that's what the intent of
that requirement was. However, I think the letter of the law is on
Kevan's side.

1 yellow.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: "Kevan Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 18:05:35 -0000

> that requirement was. However, I think the letter of the law is on

Mm, not entirely tautological - it stops people proposing nasty 
Diseases which are specifically incurable ("Black Death is incurable. 
This takes precedence over the Epidemiologist's power to cure 
diseases."). Indeed, it arguably vapourises any Diseases which happen 
to become incurable, by robbing them of their "official Disease" 
label the moment they lack a cure.

(Interestingly, the Ruleset tells us that "There is no cure for The 
Sniffles"...)

What was the original intent of the requirement, though? That all 
Diseases be curable through medication, to stop any single Staff 
member being in a position to totally deny treatment of a given 
Disease? Or simply that we shouldn't have incurable Diseases because 
they'd be too unfair?

Kevan

"Smell to get well."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 29 Jan 2001 13:49:10 -0500

> (Interestingly, the Ruleset tells us that "There is no cure for The 

I was going to comment on that. It then goes on to give what is for
all intents and purposes a cure: request treatment from the Nurse and
wait until Nurse's Office Hours.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:00:48 -0000

--- In DocNomic@y..., "Jeffrey J. Weston" <jjweston@k...> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 Nomic1@a... wrote:
> 
sigh, oh well, already made a proposal. PDP updated to show I still 
have FOR.
Feyd

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:14:05 -0000

> > Epidemiologist and, in this case, the Psychiatrist can cure them.

The sniffles DOES have a cure, to whit: "Make a request of the Nurse 
to treat them and wait until is next office hours."

> Disease? Or simply that we shouldn't have incurable Diseases 
because they'd be too unfair?

The original intent of the paragraph was to make sure that all 
diseases followed a creation formula (the earlier version was a rule 
in itself that strictly defined "cure", "type" etc.). I think the 
intent was more to be, "consider what the cure should be." For 
example, the following cures would, in my opinion, be valid:

"The diesase is cured by taking 1 green pill at any time."

"This disease is cured by requesting the nurse cure you, and waiting 
until the end of the Nurse's office hours." (basically the sniffles).

"This disease is cured when the player reaches 0 body or 0 soul."

"This disease is cured by giving the surgeon 100 cash and requesting 
an appendectomy. The surgeon must state during their office hours 
that they are performing the appendectomy on the player."

Feyd