Subject: Re: [DocNomic] Operation Jellyfish

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:54:37 -0400

In the interest of insanity, if "Operation Jellyfish", i.e., the merger between "Jellyfish" and "Semantic Solipsism - Error 404 / Doctrine Not Found" succeeds, then I propose a merger between "Forty-Two" and the (to-be-formed) "Jellyfish - Semantic Solipsism - Error 404 / Doctrine Not Found". Just 'cause ridiculously long names are fun.

...That's it. Until I think of a good proposal.

-hubert

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Jul 2002 10:25:33 -0400

[email-masked] writes:

> In the interest of insanity, if "Operation Jellyfish", i.e., the
> merger between "Jellyfish" and "Semantic Solipsism - Error 404 /
> Doctrine Not Found" succeeds, then I propose a merger between
> "Forty-Two" and the (to-be-formed) "Jellyfish - Semantic Solipsism -
> Error 404 / Doctrine Not Found". Just 'cause ridiculously long
> names are fun.

Proposing a merger with a not-yet-existant doctrine strikes me as
borderline illegal (or ignorable), but probably defensible. Rule 1009
does not impose any conditions on merger proposals, it only restricts
merger successes -- and with no time limit. OK.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: Sir Toby <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:27:23 -0700 (PDT)

> merger successes -- and with no time limit. OK.

As the leader of Jellyfish - Semantic Solipsism - Error 404 / Doctrine Not 
Found, I accept this proposed merger.

After the merger is complete, I leave Forty-Two - Jellyfish - Semantic
Solipsism - Error 404 / Doctrine Not Found.

I create a new Doctrine: Scamsters Anonymous.

I join Scamsters Anonymous.

I declare myself the leader of Scamsters Anonymous.

I add the Open Precept to Scamsters Anonymous.

I leave Scamsters Anonymous.

I join The Doctrine of the Knights Who Say 'Ni!'.

I leave The Doctrine of the Knights Who Say 'Ni!'.

I join Doctrine of the Embodied Spirit.

I declare myself the leader of Doctrine of the Embodied Spirit.

I propose a merger between Doctrine of the Embodied Spirit and Forty-Two -
Jellyfish - Semantic Solipsism - Error 404 / Doctrine Not Found.

-- 
Jeff Weston (Sir Toby)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Jul 2002 12:22:30 -0400

> Found, I accept this proposed merger.

Now the question is: does the new requirement apply? It was not in
effect at the time the merger was proposed, but went into effect
before the merger was accepted. I find nothing in the ruleset to
clarify this. I'll listen to a PoO on the subject, but for now I rule
that the requirements in effect at the time the merger was proposed
should be the ones governing whether that merger succeeds. Therefore
this merger succeeds.

The new doctrine is "Forty-Two - Jellyfish - Semantic Solipsism -
Error 404 / Doctrine Not Found". Members are (1) Hubert, (2) Jeff
Weston, (3) Stefano, (4) Tyrethali. Precepts are Open, Extremism,
Strong-Minded. Leader is (1 = Jeff, 2 = Tyrethali):

1 random int 1 <= x <= 4:
1

Hubert. +20 to Hubert, +25 to Jeff Weston, +20 to Stefano, +20 to
Tyrethali.

> Solipsism - Error 404 / Doctrine Not Found.

OK

> I leave Scamsters Anonymous.

OK^5 

> I leave The Doctrine of the Knights Who Say 'Ni!'.

OK^2

> Jellyfish - Semantic Solipsism - Error 404 / Doctrine Not Found.

OK^3. I note that this merger cannot occur prior to three duns from
now. 

-- 
- Doc

---

From: Sir Toby <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:25:00 -0700 (PDT)

> OK^3. I note that this merger cannot occur prior to three duns from

Yeah, I just saw that... And in the meantime, Kevan might try to grab
these easy points ahead of me. I'd like to share these points with my
other scamsters, but this is time critical...

I propose a merger between Doctrine of the Embodied Spirit and The
Doctrine of the Knights Who Say 'Ni!'.

I leave Doctrine of the Embodied Spirit.

I declare myself the leader of The Doctrine of the Knights Who Say 'Ni!'.

I accept the proposed merger between Doctrine of the Embodied Spirit and
The Doctrine of the Knights Who Say 'Ni!'.

-- 
Jeff Weston (Sir Toby)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Jul 2002 12:38:18 -0400

> Strong-Minded. Leader is (1 = Jeff, 2 = Tyrethali):

Ignore the text in parentheses at the end; the numbers used for the
random selection are those shown in parentheses before each name.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Jul 2002 13:32:53 -0400

> The Doctrine of the Knights Who Say 'Ni!'.

Your proposed merger cannot succeed unless and until both Doctrines
simultaneously have leaders.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: Sir Toby <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:32:56 -0700 (PDT)

> simultaneously have leaders.

I knew I forgot something...

Well, I guess free points to whoever gets there first. :)

-- 
Jeff Weston (Sir Toby)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Jul 2002 15:43:58 -0400

> simultaneously have leaders.

Stefano is now leader of DotES. Of course he didn't propose or accept
the merger, but that doesn't matter; once a leader of a doctrine
proposes a merger, the only action that's required is acceptance by
the leader of the targetted doctrine. And again, there's no time
limit. Therefore this merger now succeeds.

The new doctrine is "Doctrine of the Embodied Spirit - The Doctrine of
the Knights Who Say 'Ni!'". Members are (1) Jeff, (2) Stefano.
Precepts are Open. Leader is:

1 random int 1 <= x <= 2:
1

Jeff. +25 to Jeff, +20 to Stefano.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Jul 2002 15:46:24 -0400

[email-masked] writes:

> Precepts are Open

and Strong-Minded.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Jul 2002 15:48:15 -0400

ARRRGH. I meant Abaris, not Stefano.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: Richard Smyth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 06:11:44 -0700 (PDT)

> Jeff. +25 to Jeff, +20 to Stefano.

How can all of this (the content of message
#1792)happen when in message #1791 I was declared to
be leader of the Doctrine of the Embodied Spirit? The
text of #1791 reads as follows: 

"> > > > I declare myself leader of the Doctrine of
the
> > > > Embodied Spirit.
> 
> You cannot, since Jeff is already leader and you do
not have more
> points than Jeff.

Oops. Looks like the gamestate page was out of date...
Jeff left
DotES for The Doctrine of the Knights Who Say 'Ni!'.
So in fact you
can do this.

> > > > I add the precept Strong-Minded to the
Doctrine of
> > > > the Embodied Spirit.
> 
> You cannot, since you are not the Leader.

And this."

Abaris--still lost. . . .

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Autos - Get free new car price quotes
http://autos.yahoo.com

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 16 Jul 2002 10:12:07 -0400

Richard Smyth <[email-masked]> writes:

> be leader of the Doctrine of the Embodied Spirit? 

[NOTE: it's better to use message date/time rather than message number
to refer to particular messages, since I read this list in email.]

Official History: Doctrine of the Embodied Spirit

Tue Jul 2, 2002 8:05 am Founded by Abaris, who joins, becomes its
leader, and adds the Open precept.

Tue Jul 9, 2002 5:40 am Abaris is brainwashed by Kevan of
Fundamentalist Cthulhu Worship.

Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:19 am Abaris is brainwashed by Jeff Weston of
Error 404 / Doctrine Not Found.

Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:40 am Abaris, successfully brainwashed, joins
Fundamentalist Cthulhu Worship. Now
Strong-Minded, e resists Jeff Weston's
brainwashing.

Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:27 am Jeff Weston joins Doctrine of the Embodied
Spirit, becomes leader, and proposes merger
with Jellyfish - Semantic Solipsism - Error
404 / Doctrine Not Found. 

Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:25 pm Jeff Weston proposes merger with The
Doctrine of the Knights Who Say 'Ni!',
leaves Doctrine of the Embodied Spirit,
joins The Doctrine of the Knights Who Say
'Ni!', accepts merger.

Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:17 pm Abaris leaves Fundamentalist Cthulhu Worship,
joins Doctrine of the Embodied Spirit,
becomes leader, adds Strong-Minded precept.

Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:43 pm With both doctrines now having leaders, the
last merger requirement is met and merger
with The Doctrine of the Knights Who Say
'Ni!' succeeds. Leader of merged doctrine
is Jeff. (Message announcing merger
success mistakenly identifies the other
member of the merged doctrine as Stefano
rather than Abaris.)

Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:45 pm Jeff Weston leaves Doctrine of the Embodied
Spirit - The Doctrine of the Knights Who Say
'Ni!' to join Scamsters Anonymous.

[Not previously announced: since Doctrine of the Embodied Spirit no
longer exists, having merged, the proposed merger of Doctrine of the
Embodied Spirit with Jellyfish - Semantic Solipsism - Error 404 /
Doctrine Not Found fails.]

-- 
- Doc

---

From: "Richard Smyth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 22:03:58 -0400

But doesn't rule 1009 state that "The Leader of the Doctrine that receives the merger proposal agrees to the merger"?

Abaris

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

---

From: "Jeffrey J. Weston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:20:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Richard Smyth wrote:

> But doesn't rule 1009 state that "The Leader of the Doctrine that
> receives the merger proposal agrees to the merger"?

It does. The leader of the Doctrine that received the merger (me) did
accept it.

-- 
Jeff Weston (Sir Toby)