Subject: Proposal: Power to the Priests (and some Trivia)

From: Kevan Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:44:16 +0100

Proposal - Power to the Priests

In Rule 1015 (Doctrine Actions), replace "Only the leader of a Doctrine
may determine what action their Doctrine takes by announcing it to the
mailing list." with "The Leader or the High Priest of a Doctrine may
determine what action their Doctrine takes by announcing it to the
mailing list."

{ Making Flock-gathering less of a one-man show, albeit in a two-edged
way. }

Trivial Proposal - Atheism

Create a new Precept, "Atheistic", with the following text:-

If a Doctrine is Atheistic, it may not have a High Priest. (If a
Doctrine with a High Priest becomes Atheistic, the High Priest loses
that title.)

Trivial Proposal - Adjective Retrospective

For the sake of consistency, rename the "Extremism" Precept to
"Extremist" throughout the Ruleset, and "Apathy" to "Apathetic".

Also create a self-repealing Rule to reflect these changes in the
gamestate. Thankyou.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 29 Jul 2002 11:53:25 -0400

> determine what action their Doctrine takes by announcing it to the

OK. +10 to Kevan, +5 to Goateus, Ian, Nim, Zarba.

> Doctrine with a High Priest becomes Atheistic, the High Priest loses

I am going to hold off a little on judgement of this (and subsequent
proposals). What's the downside of going atheistic? Granted, it
leaves a Doctrine with no "acting leader" if its leader goes away, but
that doesn't strike me as much of a loss -- especially for the
leader. If there's no downside, then I would expect most leaders to
add this Precept, effectively nullifying Rule 1016.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: Kevan Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 17:09:19 +0100

> add this Precept, effectively nullifying Rule 1016.

Well, since the Leader appoints the High Priest (or, at least, is able to 
reallocate the role), I'd imagined that most Doctrines would move towards a 
fairly amicable Leader-Priest relationship, there being an agreement as to when 
the Priest is allowed to perform Actions; "If an infiltration scam kicks off 
and I'm not around, Close the Doctrine. If all's quiet and I'm not here, don't 
forget to Influence the World."

If you've got a High Priest you can trust, your Doctrine's more secure, I'd 
have thought. If it turns out you can't trust them, you can appoint someone 
more trustworthy. (If anything, outright Atheism is a flag of mistrust, which 
might affect people's allegiances.)

Kevan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 30 Jul 2002 13:36:05 -0400

> Doctrine with a High Priest becomes Atheistic, the High Priest loses

OK.

> Also create a self-repealing Rule to reflect these changes in the

OK.

-- 
- Doc