Subject: Office hours

From: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Jan 2001 16:30:16 -0500

COMMUNICABLE DISEASES:

(Now handled by Nurse and Epidemiologist)

ADDICT:

Since last Office Hours (message #451) until now Kevan has posted 2
non-proposal messages that do not ask for pills (#482, 483). However,
none of these were pointed out. By my reading of the rules, that
means Feyd loses no soul points.

Feyd still has the most pills. Now here's a conundrum: Does he get
cured of addition and re-contract it, or does he just continue to have
it? It's not clear in the rules. I'll assume the latter, so (1) he
doesn't get a 25% chance to avoid addiction but (2) he also doesn't
lose 3 BP / 5 SP.

MIGRAINES:

There have been 59 messages since last Office Hours. x/10 = 5 (the
rules don't say whether to round down but I will.)

Mark has migraine. He loses 5 BP, 5 SP.

All players (except Mark) have 5% chance of contracting a Migraine. 

6 random reals 0 < x < 1:
0.938690185546875
0.353759765625
0.597503662109375
0.74359130859375
0.656494140625
0.910614013671875

No one gets Migraine.

NASTY COUGH:

Britta has Bit of a Cough. 30% chance of changing to Nasty Cough.

1 random reals 0 < x < 1:
0.478515625

No change.

THERAPY:

(Now handled by Psychiatrist.)

BLOOD DONATION:

Since this is only the third Office Hours, I don't think anyone can
be fined for failing to donate blood within the last four Office
Hours.

Game state updated.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: Ottis Airhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 17:28:35 -0600

Doc,

In your Office Hours email you stated the following:

>means Feyd loses no soul points.

If you so chose to point them out (which you did) you may deduct the soul
points. The rule states:

"Failure to do so will cause the addict lose 1 soul point; this failure to
do so may be pointed out by any Player or Doc, at which point the deduction
will be queued as an action for the next Office Hours."

You can claim the 2 soul points as having been pointed out by yourself.

>doesn't get a 25% chance to avoid addiction but (2) he also doesn't

Let me again refer to the rules:

"Once a week, during Office Hours, the player with the most pills
(regardless of color) is designated the "Addict" for the upcoming week."

So, at this point, Feyd has been designated the "Addict" for the upcoming
week because this week, during Office Hours, he was the player with the
most pills.

Let me go on with the rule:

"Addicts are fragile things, and therefore lose 3 body and 5 soul points at
the beginning of the week they are designated the Addict."

Since he was just designated the "Addict" for the upcoming week, regardless
of last week, he shall lose 3 body and 5 soul points. Each week a player is
designation the Addict. It is irregardless of last weeks designation.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Jan 2001 11:46:55 -0500

> >Since last Office Hours (message #451) until now Kevan has posted 2

"Kevan" should have been "Feyd" in that line, of course.

> You can claim the 2 soul points as having been pointed out by yourself.

I choose to interpret the rule as requiring the failure to be pointed
out soon after the relevant messages are posted. There is no such
time limit in the rule, of course, but I believe that was the intent.

> designation the Addict. It is irregardless of last weeks designation.

Any comments from other players before I rule on this?

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Jan 2001 19:14:48 -0500

> designation the Addict. It is irregardless of last weeks designation.

Well, no one else had any comments. Ottis's arguments are good. I'll
go along. So (1) Feyd doesn't get a 25% chance to avoid addiction but
(2) he also doesn't lose 3 BP / 5 SP.

0.773468017578125

So Feyd *does* (re-)get addiction, and loses the BP/SPs.

-- 
- Doc