Subject: Declaration of Intent, Proposed Amendment, et al.

From: "Richard Smyth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 08:05:11 -0400

Hello Doc,

1. I hereby declare my intent to "play."

2. I wish to create the Doctrine of the Embodied Spirit.

3. I wish to join the Doctrine of the Embodied Spirit and declare myself leader of this doctrine.

4. I declare that this Doctrine is preceptually Open.

5. I suggest a new precept called "Conservatism": "Before a member of a conservative doctrine submits a proposal for judgment, e must seek approval from the Leader of that doctrine. If e fails to do so, e loses 5 points."

6. I propose the following change/amendment to Rule 1001:

Where it says:

"Whenever any Player has one of their Proposals accepted, they and all Players who share their Doctrine gain 10 points."

change it to say:

"Whenever any Player has one of eir Proposals accepted, e receives 15 points, the Leader of the Doctrine gains 10 points, and all other followers gain 5 points."

Purpose: I propose this b/c, as a newcomer entering the game in process, I don't see any way of winning or catching up if you choose to join an already established Doctrine like the FCW (I was considering it). But perhaps that is part of the game: creating rules that will eventuate in a monopolizing of points. If so, it is discouraging to incoming players, and this proposed amendment is an attempt to remedy this.

Abaris

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 02 Jul 2002 16:02:18 -0400

> 1. I hereby declare my intent to "play."

OK.

> 2. I wish to create the Doctrine of the Embodied Spirit.

OK.

> 3. I wish to join the Doctrine of the Embodied Spirit and declare myself leader of this doctrine.

OK.

> 4. I declare that this Doctrine is preceptually Open.

OK.

> 5. I suggest a new precept called "Conservatism": "Before a member
> of a conservative doctrine submits a proposal for judgment, e must
> seek approval from the Leader of that doctrine. If e fails to do
> so, e loses 5 points."

Quoting Rule 1004, "Precepts made in this manner may not force or
permit players to do anything otherwise illegal. (For example, gaining
points in a manner unspecified by normal rules.)" By the same token,
it seems to me a precept made in this manner may not force or permit
players to lose points in a manner unspecified by normal rules.
Therefore, this precept does not seem to meet the requirements of Rule
1004. 

> "Whenever any Player has one of their Proposals accepted, they and
> all Players who share their Doctrine gain 10 points."
> 
> change it to say:
> 
> "Whenever any Player has one of eir Proposals accepted, e receives
> 15 points, the Leader of the Doctrine gains 10 points, and all other
> followers gain 5 points."

REJECTED; generally I like this better than the flat 10 points for all
followers, but there are a couple of problems: first, some unclarity
in the wording (Leader of which Doctrine? All other followers of
which Doctrines? Of course I know what was meant, but more clarity
would be good.) Second, what happens if the proposing player is the
Leader? I can see no reasonable interpretation but that e gets 25
points -- and I think that's too big an advantage over non-Leaders.
And third, generally, Rule 1010 tends to award leadership to players
ahead on points, and this rule tends to award points for leadership; a
positive feedback thing that will, I think, be unhealthy for
competition. 

-- 
- Doc