Subject: Proposal: Denial disease

From: Ottis Airhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 17:35:22 -0600

I propose the following addition to the disease list:

Denial (psychosis)
A player infected by this disease shall be considered as "In Denial".

If a player ever fails to attempt a voluntary cure for a contracted disease
between 2 office hours events, or if a player fails to follow the
directions for playing the round while infected by a disease, that player
shall automatically be infected with the Denial disease. While infected
with this disease, the player shall state in every message sent to the
mailing list that they do not have the diseases, listed individually, with
which they are infected. Failure to do so shall cause them to lose 3 soul
points plus 1 soul point for each disease they have. No disease may be
cured for this player while "In Denial".

---

From: "Feyd " <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 23:07:41 -0000

cool disease, but it needs a cure badly!
Feyd

---

From: Ottis Airhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 23:08:22 -0600

Speaking of the cure... the cure is the following, look at rule 20,
Psychiatrist:
========
The Psychiatrist deals with the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of
mental and emotional disorders, and is able, through counselling, to treat
the Psychoses of other Players. 

At any given time, one Player may be a Psychiatrist (their identity is part
of the gamestate). Anyone wishing to be treated by the Psychiatrist should
make such a request on the mailing list. The Psychiatrist may honour such
requests by announcing to the list that, after a tense and emotional
counselling session, any or all of the Psychoses suffered by that Player
have been lost. 

The Psychiatrist may not counsel themselves, but, through mutual
understanding and personal development, any Psychosis they cure in another
Player is automatically cured in themselves, if they have it. 

If the Psychiatrist's Soul Points drop below thirty, Doc may reassign the
role elsewhere. 
===========
So, the cure is to have the psychiatrist cure the disease upon request,
since it is a psychosis. It is an instant cure, if the psychiatrist chooses
to cure them.

I think it is a great disease, and I have some more to submit once I know I
don't have Fear of Rejection from one of the ones I've already submitted.
Just waiting for Office Hours to process, poor Doctroid. I know how it is!

Ottis

At 11:07 PM 12/28/2000 +0000, you wrote:
>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>[email-masked]
>
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:26:42 -0000

> points plus 1 soul point for each disease they have. 

This seems rather bizarre and unfair to people who don't want to pay 
350 Cash to cure Glam Rock Shoulder, or are saving their money, or 
whatever else, on the basis that they feel they can live with the 
Disease for the time being.

And having more "You must put a certain phrase in every single 
posting" stuff seems a slightly annoying and confusing prospect all 
round. Pills, I need pills, because I'm the addict, but don't take 
any actual notice of this sentence because nobody can really give me 
Pills under the current Ruleset and I don't *really* want any Pills 
anyway. Etc.

> No disease may be cured for this player while "In Denial".

So, er, once you catch this you can't get rid of *any* Diseases, 
since "Denial" itself is permanent?

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"But I don't like spam."

---

From: Ottis Airhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:42:08 -0600

As mentioned earlier, the psychiatrist can cure Denial freely at any moment
upon request.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 29 Dec 2000 11:33:39 -0500

> At 09:26 AM 12/29/2000 +0000, you wrote:
[...]
> >since "Denial" itself is permanent?

Actually not. 'No disease may be cured for this player while "In
Denial".' -- and Denial itself is not excluded from that prohibition! 

Proposal REJECTED for that reason, the other reasons mentioned by
Kevan, the fact that it's incurable unless the Psych feels like
cooperating, and the fact that keeping track of who has and has not
attempted which cures for which diseases at what times is more work
for Doc than he thinks it's worth...

(Yes, I know it's out of order. I'm not required to process proposals
in order. And I'm still sick, so bear with me.)

-- 
- Doc

---

From: "Feyd " <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 22:20:44 -0000

> As mentioned earlier, the psychiatrist can cure Denial freely at 
any moment

Well, the problem is, the psychiatriast CAN cure the disease. If he 
chooses not to, then you are hosed -- you cannot cure any other 
disease either, and the only way to cure ANYTHING is to pay whatever 
price the psych potentially demands for the cure.

Feyd