Subject: Proposal: Hospital Building Engineer, Hospital Rooms and amendment to Trading Post

From: "Jeffrey J. Weston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:13:21 -0800 (PST)

Create a new rule entitled "Hospital Building Engineer" with the
following text:

A player shall hold the office of Hospital Building Engineer. The identity
of the Hospital Building Engineer shall be part of the gamestate.

When this rule is enacted, the Hospital Building Engineer shall be the
person variously known as Sir Toby, Jeff Weston, or jjweston. This
paragraph will then repeal itself from this rule.

The Hospital Building Engineer tracks all information regarding the various
rooms and locations of the Hospital. All required information must be
stored in one or more databases at the eGroups web site. As compensation
for such duties, the Hospital Building Engineer receives one yellow pill
and one purple pill during their Office Hours. If the Hospital Building
Engineer is unable to update the eGroups database(s) at least once in
between their Office Hours, they will be declared unfit for office and Doc
must replace them immediately.

Create a new rule entitled "Hospital Rooms" with the following text:

There exist a number of rooms in the Hospital, as detailed in this rule.
Each player must always occupy one and only one room in the hospital. The
location of each player in the hospital shall be part of the gamestate, and
maintained by the Hospital Building Engineer. Each room in the hospital
shall have a name, a list of rooms that it connects to, and a descritpion
of the room.

Players may move from one room to another, provided that the room they are
in connects to the room they wish to move to, and if that specific move is
not disallowed by the rules. Players make such a move by posting it to the
mailing list. A player may only make one move in this fashion once per day.
When announced, the player moves immediately to the new room, regardless of
how long it takes the Hospital Building Engineer to update the eGroups
database.

Outside World - Connects to Hospital Entrance
More of a location than a room, the Outside World offers a great
relief to those suffering from Claustrophobia. For every night a player
with Claustrophobia spends in the Outside World, that player will gain five
(5) soul points. Likewise, for every night a player with Agoraphobia spends
in the Outside World, that player will lose five (5) soul points. New
players start out in The Outside World, when they join the game.

Hospital Entrance - Connects to Outside World, Psychiatric Ward, and
Pharmacy
This room serves as a major hub for getting to different sections of
the hospital.

Psychiatric Ward - Connects to Hospital Entrance, and Padded Room
This room is the central hub for dealing with psychotic diseases. A
player must be present in this room in order to receive Electroshock
Therapy.

Padded Room - Connects to Psychiatric Ward
This room offers a great relief to those suffering from Agoraphobia.
For every night a player with Agoraphobia spends in the Padded Room, that
player will gain (5) soul points. Likewise, for every night a player with
Claustrophobia spends in the Padded Room, that player will lose five (5)
soul points.

Pharmacy - Connects to Hospital Entrance
This room is the home of the Pharmacy. A player must be present in
this room in order to purchase items from the Pharmacy.

Amend the first paragraph of "Trading Post" to read in full:

A player may give another player cash, pills, or pamphlets at any time, as
long as the player has the item in their possession to give, and both
players are in the same room.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 17 Jan 2001 22:10:37 -0500

> players are in the same room.

APPROVED. 1 each green, red, and blue.

Just one question: where is everyone???

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 17 Jan 2001 22:37:32 -0500

This creates Rules 31 and 32. Phobia check:

(Rule 31)

Kevan, Britta, Ottis, Mark lose 5 SPs. Jeff gains 5 SP.

Jeff and Martin have 28% chance (3 repealed rules so 31-3) of getting
Agoraphobia. 

2 random reals 0 < x < 1:
0.053253173828125
0.34979248046875

Jeff does (and is cured of Claustrophobia).

(Rule 32)

Kevan, Britta, Ottis, Mark, and Jeff lose 5 SPs.

Martin has 28% chance (3 repealed rules so 32-3) of getting
Agoraphobia. 

1 random reals 0 < x < 1:
0.375396728515625

He doesn't.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:55:56 -0000

--- In [email-masked], rsholmes@m... wrote:
> "Jeffrey J. Weston" <jjweston@k...> writes:
> > Hospital Entrance - Connects to Outside World, Psychiatric Ward, 

Amend the Hospital Room rule as follows:
=================================================
Add the rooms:

Lab -- connects to Hospital Entrance and the Pharmacy. A player must 
be in the lab to receive a cure from the Epidemiologist. The 
Epidemiologist does not have to be in the room at the same time.

Trama Center -- connects to the Hospital Entrance. All surgery takes 
place in the Trama Center. Both the player requesting surgery and 
the surgeon must be in the Trama Center for surgery to be performed.

And add the following paragraph to the end of the rule:
"All players currently in the game are placed at the Hospital 
Entrance".

Feyd

---

From: "Jeffrey J. Weston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:00:39 -0800 (PST)

> Just one question: where is everyone???

Whoops... I thought I had specified everyone starts in the Outside
World. Looks like that was the one thing I forgot. Since the Outside World
specifies that new players start out there, that is where I will start all
current players out.

I will hold Hospital Building Engineer Office Hours shortly and
set up the database...

---

From: "Jeffrey J. Weston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:10:33 -0800 (PST)

> Amend the Hospital Room rule as follows:

You did not specify a route for players to reach the above
rooms. While you provided a way to travel from the lab to the entrance and
that pharmacy, you did not provide a way to travel from the entrance or
the pharmacy into the lab. Same with the trauma center. Connections must
be made to/from both rooms if you want players to be able to move both
directions between the rooms.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 16:54:50 -0000

--- In [email-masked], "Jeffrey J. Weston" <jjweston@k...> 
wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 Nomic1@a... wrote:
> 
> > Lab -- connects to Hospital Entrance and the Pharmacy. A player 
> > Trama Center -- connects to the Hospital Entrance. All surgery 

> directions between the rooms.

These are two-way connections. Obvious by intent.
gotta pill?
Feyd

---

From: "Jeffrey J. Weston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:49:46 -0800 (PST)

> These are two-way connections. Obvious by intent.

I understand that they should be two way connections. The reason I
brought up my point is that you did not make them two way connections in
your proposal.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 18 Jan 2001 16:32:29 -0500

> Amend the Hospital Room rule as follows:

ACCEPTED. With regard to the connections dispute, let me point out
what the present rule requires:

"Each room in the hospital shall have a name, a list of rooms that it
connects to, and a descritpion of the room."

(Hmm, a typo to fix.) Feyd's rooms have all three required
specifications. 

Jeff is correct, however, that there is no way to get to Feyd's rooms!
The rule as amended will still say

> Hospital Entrance - Connects to Outside World, Psychiatric Ward, and
[...]
> Pharmacy - Connects to Hospital Entrance

i.e. no connections from those rooms to the new ones exist.

But we can just add that to our contractor's punch list and fix it up
later, right?

1 green.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 18 Jan 2001 16:39:27 -0500

> "All players currently in the game are placed at the Hospital 

Having enacted the above Rule Change, the Players are, by the above
provision, placed at the Hospital Entrance.

Now that they are there, the above provision is hereby repealed by
Proclamation (otherwise no one would be able to move...).

-- 
- Doc

---

From: "Jeffrey J. Weston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:52:21 -0800 (PST)

On 18 Jan 2001 [email-masked] wrote:

> ACCEPTED.

I have moved all players to the Hospital Entrance, as required by
the proposal.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:04:21 -0000

Jeff,
Got a great way to solve this discussion:

PROPOSAL: Amemd the Room Rule with the following statement:

If a player can go from Room A to Room B, e can also move from Room B 
from Room A.

Feyd

Can I have a pill now?
I also purchase, and consume, 1 red pill.

---

From: "Jeffrey J. Weston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:27:26 -0800 (PST)

> If a player can go from Room A to Room B, e can also move from Room B 

No! No! No!

I *purposefully* allowed one way connections to take place. There
are lots of possibilities when one way connections are allowed. The extra
work required to ensure two way connections are maintained when needed
isn't too much of a hassle.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 19 Jan 2001 12:48:36 -0500

> If a player can go from Room A to Room B, e can also move from Room B 

REJECTED. It's more interesting as it is.

Feyd has FoR.

-- 
- Doc