Subject: Proposals - Waiting List / Cash

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 14:35:26 -0000

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal - The Waiting List

{ An attempt to organise the taking of pills, and other, future game
events; current Proposals on this issue are a bit too "Do something
that takes effect immediately! Oh, and, er, wait for Doc to update
the Gamestate, I suppose." Too much scope for ambiguity and
confusion.

A Waiting List seems a good hospital thing, too. And should be a
fairly straightforward bit of cgi-scripting. }

A new Rule, "The Waiting List":-

Certain actions in DocNomic are known as "Events". The Waiting List
is a list of Events requested but unperformed, listed from the
oldest to the newest. It is part of the Gamestate.

Any Player may add a new Event to the Waiting List at any time. If
a Player is to do something "as an Event", it means that he or she
should add details of such an Event to the Waiting List.

If any Events are on the Waiting List, Doc may process the oldest -
announcing its resolution to the mailing list if he feels it
appropriate - and delete it from the List. Events which are illegal
under the current Ruleset are ignored instead of processed.

A new Rule, "Events":-

A Player may take any number of Pills, as an Event. Upon that Event
being processed, the Pills are removed from that Player's possession
and take effect as defined by the Ruleset, unless the Player lacks
(even some of) the specified Pills, in which case nothing happens.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal - All You Need Is Cash

{ A recent Proposal from "oairhart" had a rather curious "Doc takes
as payment a given number of Body Points and Soul Points from the
Player" clause, which suggests it might be worth having a way to
pay for things, particularly medical consultancy and treatment.

I tentatively propose Cash. Not really sure if it's a useful
addition or a fiddly extra variable. We'll see. }

Rename Rule 11 to "Body, Soul and Cash" and reword it to:-

Each Player has a number of Body Points, Soul Points and Cash
Points, adjusted by various events in the game. These Points are
part of the Gamestate.

Whenever a new Player joins the game, he or she has a hundred Body
Points, a thousand Cash Points, and Soul Points equal to the
average Soul Points of all other Players (rounded down).

At midnight GMT every Monday, every Player gains a hundred Cash.

Doc may replace "At midnight GMT every Monday" with any time
reference he feels appropriate, there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"I'm leaving my body to science fiction."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Dec 2000 13:36:54 -0500

REJECTED. I think this proposal may be mooted by some of the other
ideas currently stewing. This one has too much passive voice for my
taste, e.g. "The Pills are removed" -- I'd like something that
specifies who's doing the removing and keeping track!

> reference he feels appropriate, there.

ACCEPTED. My first reaction was, "Oh, no, not another Gamestate
entity". But thinking about it, this does round out the theme nicely
-- after all, body, soul, medication, and money are the things a
hospital transacts most! Using pills as currency has a certain dark
appeal, and is still possible; but having some white market currency
is, I think, good.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Dec 2000 13:37:33 -0500

> reference he feels appropriate, there.

It'll be during office hours.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Dec 2000 13:39:56 -0500

I'll also have the Nurse hand out 1000 cash to each Player, since I'm
sure Kevan intended to put that in his rule but forgot.

-- 
- Doc