Subject: Proposal: 21st Century Medicine

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 17:30:31 -0000

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal - 21st Century Medicine

{ I take the liberty of assuming that "If the proposal is an
amendment, the subject line must include the text "Proposal:
Amendment to" follwed by the title of the rule to be amended."
doesn't apply to Proposals which are *a series of amendments*;
otherwise we'd have a foolishly lengthy subject line.

Feel free to Proclaim exactly the same stuff should this be
ignored under Rule 21, anyway, Doc. }

Enact a new Rule, "The Player Details Page":-

The Player Details page (PDP) tracks various aspects of the
Gamestate, and is updated and moderated by the Players. All
alterations are logged - if any Player feels that an alteration
goes against the Rules of DocNomic (as they were at the time of
the alteration), he or she may undo the effects of that
alteration (unless it was made more than five days ago). If
such an undoing is disputed, a Point of Order should be raised.

Doc may choose to impose fines of up to 500 Cash, or beatings
of up to 120 Body Points damage, for any PDP alterations which
are against the Rules.

The data presented by the PDP shall be considered to be a legal
record of the relevant aspects of the Gamestate, although any
corrections to it shall take effect with as much retroactivity
as Doc feels appropriate.

-------------------------

In Rule 4 ("Publication"), replace the second paragraph with:-

Doc must publish the current Ruleset at

<http://web.syr.edu/~rsholmes/games/nomic/docnomic/doc_ruleset.html>,
and parts of the current Gamestate at

<http://web.syr.edu/~rsholmes/games/nomic/docnomic/doc_gamestate.html>
.
Other aspects of the Gamestate may be stored on the Player
Details page at <http://uncertain.org/~kevan/cgi-bin/docnomic.cgi>.
No change to the Ruleset or Gamestate shall be considered to have
occurred until and unless it is so published. 

-------------------------

In Rule 9 ("Prescriptions"), replace the first paragraph with:-

Any Player may collect their Prescription if they have not already
done so since the most recent Office Hours. Upon doing so, that
Player may gain the Pills that his or her Prescription specifies,
via the Player Details page.

-------------------------

In Rule 11 ("Body, Soul and Cash"), reword the second paragraph to:-

Whenever a new Player joins the game, Doc shall give them a hundred
Body Points, a thousand Cash Points, and Soul Points equal to the
average Soul Points of all other Players (rounded down).

...and replace "During office hours, every player gains a hundred
cash." with "Any Player may collect their Wages if they have not
already done so since the most recent Office Hours. Upon doing so,
that Player may gain one hundred Cash, via the Player Details page."

-------------------------

Repeal Rule 14 ("Cures").

To Rule 8 ("Pills"), add the following:-

A Player may take or discard a Pill they possess, at any time,
via the Player Details page. Whenever a Player takes a Pill, a
percentage success rating for each Pill is given in the Change
Log; this should be used to determine the Pill's success in
whatever effects are specified. (For example, if a Green Pill
has a 30% chance of curing a Player of Nasty Cough, a success
rating of 30% or less for a Green Pill means that the Player
is cured.)

In addition to any other effects that Pills may have on Players,
they also affect Body and Health Points, as follows: 

Yellow Gain 2 soul, 2 body 
Red Gain 1 soul, 2 body 
Blue Gain 1 soul, 1 body 
Green Gain 0 soul, 1 body 
Purple Gain 1 soul, -1 body 

(These effects are applied automatically by the Player Details
page.)

To the Disease "A Bit of a Cough", add:-

If a Player takes a Green Pill, and also took a Green Pill
between the previous two Office Hours, that Player is cured
of this Disease.

In the Disease "Fear of Rejection", replace "Whenever a player
with this disease has one of their proposals accepted, they are
immediately cured." with "Whenever a Player with this Disease
has one of their Proposals accepted, or takes a Purple Pill,
they are immediately cured."

Enact a new Rule, "Death":-

If a Player's Body Points or Soul Points are zero, that Player
is Dead and may take no further part in the current Round.

-------------------------

Reword Rule 15 ("Pill Exchange") to:-

Certain Pills may be swapped for others. Any Player may use the
Player Details page to exchange some of their own Pills for
other Pills (losing some Pills, then gaining others), at the
following rates:-

* Two Green Pills may be exchanged for one Red Pill.
* One Red Pill and one Blue Pill may be exchanged for one
Yellow Pill.
* One Yellow Pill may be exchanged for two Purple Pills.

-------------------------

Reword Rule 16 ("Nurse") to:-

The Nurse assists Doc in the running of the Hospital. The name
of the Player who holds the office of Nurse shall be part of
the Gamestate. 

At any time the Nurse may, unless he or she has done so already
since the most recent Office Hours, raid the pharmacy to gain
three Green Pills, 2 Soul Points and 5 Body Points.

If at any time the Nurse is unable to fulfill his or her role,
or that Player wishes to vacate the office, Doc must choose a
new Nurse to take over. 

{ Sadly, this job becomes almost entirely obsolete in the face of
modern technology. }

-------------------------

Reword Rule 17 ("Deliberate Contagion") to:-

A Player with an Airborne Disease may, at any time, pay 5 Soul
and 5 Body Points to give that Disease to another Player.

{ Simplification. }

-------------------------

{ Right. Well, I *think* that covers everything... }

----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Doctroid " <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 22:24:33 -0000

--- In [email-masked], kevan@s... wrote:
> Details page at
<http://uncertain.org/~kevan/cgi-bin/docnomic.cgi>.

REJECTED for the following reasons:

(1) "The data presented by the PDP shall be considered to be a legal 
record of the relevant aspects of the Gamestate" -- but they certainly
are not so at the present time. I could set up the PDP to correctly
reflect the present Gamestate -- but, especially as long as the PDP
does not have cookie capability, that's a really tedious process for
one Doc to do, especially since the whole point of the PDP is to
spread the load around. I'd rather not make the PDP official until
all players have brought their own data up to date there. Of course,
they have no real incentive to do so. So perhaps a new proposal
should create a transition period and incentives to bring the PDP in
line with the true gamestate.

(2) There are parts of this proposal that have no relevance to the
PDP. I wish to discourage the lumping together of independent rule
changes into a single proposal. (Not that you should need
discouragement. After all, a single sufficiently bad rule change
kills the whole proposal, and if all the rule changes are acceptable,
you only get one perk. If submitted separately, no rule change would
endanger the others, and each would earn a perk if accepted.)

I encourage Kevan and others to propose a swift transition to the PDP,
but the above points need to be considered more carefully. Note that
the proposed changes to Rules 9 and 11 are mooted by a recently
accepted proposal.

Kevan now has FoR.

- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 02 Jan 2001 17:25:55 -0500

> Kevan now has FoR.

Oops, he had FoR in the first place.

Kevan loses 5 SPs.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 13:49:19 -0000

Doc's objections:-

> are not so at the present time. [...] So perhaps a new proposal

I'd half-expected it to be alright for Players to update stuff 
quickly afterwards, and for it to be recognised as legal. Can't hurt 
to establish the consequences of not doing so, though, I suppose.

> PDP.

Hmm, are there? I thought I was careful to keep it as essential as 
possible, without changing anything from its current intention (even 
the things I think need changing), only the implementation, to take 
advantage of the new system. Which was the whole reason for writing 
this thing in the first place. Prescriptions to be collected rather 
than given out, to spare Doc the work, and that. Or was I being too 
presumptuous?

The only aspect that was reworked to any dramatic extent was 
"Deliberate Contagion", because having Players using verified random 
numbers is awkward and list-clogging. A simple non-random system 
seemed the easy solution, although I suppose I could take the time to 
add a "Cough" option to the PDP if you feel the random element is 
worth keeping.

If I've overlooked something else that's actually entirely irrelevant 
to the implementation of the PDP, though, I'd welcome the insight.

> I wish to discourage the lumping together of independent rule

True, but since all I was trying to do was establish the usage of the 
PDP and tidy up a few rules to work alongside it, putting forward 
each amendment as a separate Proposal would have seemed a bit cheeky, 
especially with Pill perks being *compulsory* these days.

> but the above points need to be considered more carefully.

Right you are. I'd welcome greater insight into what you considered 
"irrelevant" to the PDP, though.

Thanks,

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"Does the body rule the mind or does
the mind rule the body? I dunno."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 03 Jan 2001 15:52:12 -0500

> "irrelevant" to the PDP, though.

I thought there was more besides the deliberate contagion thing, but
on third reading I see what I missed the first two times and realize
it wasn't irrelevant after all. Sorry.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 03 Jan 2001 16:02:48 -0500

> to establish the consequences of not doing so, though, I suppose.

Hmm, it says here I can modify the gamestate at any time by
proclamation.

So, for example, I could -- at, say, 0000 GMT 5 Jan 2001 -- issue a
proclamation setting to zero the body, soul, and cash points of all
players who have not initialized their gamestate record on the PDP. I
could even take away their pamphlets.

And who knows. I just might.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: Ottis Airhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 15:26:15 -0600

I like that... but, maybe not set the body/soul to zero, because the player
may end up dead (according to some proposed rules).

Also, Doc, I mentioned the Blood Bank proposal was waiting for judgement...
but did you also remember the proposal concerning players who wish to leave
the game?

I'm not rushing you, it just seems that most of the recent proposals are
being discussed. I didn't want old proposals forgotten... yet...

Ottis

At 04:02 PM 1/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>[email-masked]
>
>