Subject: Clarification Requested: The sniffles.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:16:57 -0000

The sniffles state:
The next player to send a message to the mailing list after a message 
from a player with The Sniffles has a 37% chance of contracting The 
Sniffles during the next Nurse's Office Hours. 

There is no cure for The Sniffles, but it will dry up and go away 
during the Nurse's Office Hours if the infected player requests 
treatment. 
==========================
Our current sniffler has posted several messages in a row. That 
means that he has a chance of contracting the Sniffles. Not a big 
deal, since he already has them.

BUT, are the sniffles cured (by request) before or after the rolls 
for contraction are made?

If Before, then odds are he will be cured and then re-contract the 
Disease.

This is not a contradiction, just a request for order of evaluation.

Feyd

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 08 Feb 2001 11:22:39 -0500

> during the Nurse's Office Hours if the infected player requests 

I think you've spotted a "duhhh" in that disease definition; a player
shouldn't be able to give emself the sniffles. But clearly that
happens.

And I think the request for treatment must come *after* infection. So
if a player gets re-infected during NOH (by exposure to emself or to
someone else with The Sniffles), I'd say e must request treatment
again for the next NOH.

(The Nurse doesn't actually cure the Sniffles; I think the intent
simply is to have the Sniffles go away after a few days. If the
re-infection were to clear up during the same NOH where it occurred,
that would be contrary to the rule's intent, I'd say.)

If I had the Sniffles, I'd be proposing an amendment to clarify all
this, and to eliminate self-re-infection.

- Doc