Subject: point of order: Proposals

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:52:55 -0000

rule 3 says that "A Proposal consists of one or more new proposed 
Rules, and/or one or more amendments to existing Rules, and/or one or 
more proposed repeals of existing Rules. "

But it also says "Only one proposal is allowed per email message. If 
more than one proposal is included in an email message, all proposals 
in that message will be ignored."

The first of those quotes says that a proposal can contain any number 
of proposed rule changes. Thus, by definition, all rule changes 
within a single posting comprise a single proposal. The second 
section quoted above is therefore redundant, as it's not possible to 
have more than one proposal per message.

Should this section be struck out, or should theree be a narrower 
definition of 'proposal'?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 30 Jan 2001 12:16:59 -0500

[email-masked] writes:

> within a single posting comprise a single proposal. 

Nope. A mail message could contained (and has, in the past,
contained) text of the form:

PROPOSAL: <label>

<One or more proposed rule changes>

PROPOSAL: <another label>

<One or more proposed rule changes>

etc., with the intent being that each set of proposed rule changes be
considered a distinct proposal, to be judged independently. Under
Rule 3 as amended, either all the rule changes proposed must be lumped
into one proposal, to be judged as a whole, or they proposals must be
broken out into separate mail messages.

-- 
- Doc