Subject: Re: correction, PDP not updated - seems to be down again

From: "Kevan Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 09:38:59 -0000

> correction, PDP not updated - seems to be down again

Mm, uncertain.org's being a bit shaky at the moment while its owner 
relocates and rejiggers things. If it's proving a particular 
awkwardness (it seems to mostly be offline when I'm offline as well, 
so I don't really notice), I suppose I could give Doc the script and 
the data file and let him host the PDP himself. What do you think?

Either way, posting a "PDP updated" message to the mailing list when 
you hadn't actually tried to update it seems a bit remiss. Have a 
Tourette's Syndrome.

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"That would be an ecumenical matter."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Feb 2001 12:22:24 -0500

> > correction, PDP not updated - seems to be down again

[...]

> you hadn't actually tried to update it seems a bit remiss. Have a 

[Kevan fails to make it clear here that TS is being given for the first
message (which was posted by Martin, Kevan didn't identify the person
he was quoting), not the second.]

The message in question was

> From: "Martin Couchman" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu Feb 8, 2001 3:53pm
> Subject: I stagger to the trauma centre
>
> ooh, ouch! PDP updated!

The TS disease description states

If a Player feels that a posting to the mailing list should have been
made by private email, or should not have been made at all, he or she
may declare to the mailing list that the poster has contracted
Tourette's Syndrome, and update the PDP appropriately. (Doc may undo
this and fine the Player up to 500 Cash for wasting hospital time, if
he feels that the posting was fair enough.)

The posting was not only fair enough but was required in order for
Martin to get to the Trauma Center. Kevan apparently has issues with
one particular statement in the posting, but (1) one questionable
statement does not render the posting as a whole improper and (2) in
any case, Doc has no strong objection to using the phrase "PDP
updated" to indicate a sincere and immediate intention of updating the
PDP, whether the vagaries of uncertain.org allow that intention to be
carried out or not -- though he does encourage doing things in the
opposite order, nonetheless.

Have a 500 Cash penalty. PDP updated, really.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: "Kevan Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:37:48 -0000

> one particular statement in the posting, [...]

Mere carelessness; I must have thought the previous message did 
nothing other than mention PDP updation, taking the subject line as 
acceptance of whatever it was that happened, rather than an intention 
of movement. Tsk.

> but (1) one questionable
> statement does not render the posting as a whole improper

Indeed not.

> (2) in

I don't know, it seems a bit misleading to announce that the 
gamestate's been altered when it hasn't. But I suppose you'd be quite 
hard pressed to get any particular consequence out of being 
misleading about whether you've updated the PDP or not, really. ("I 
buy 500 Blue Pills, thus encouraging everyone else to stock up!" "No 
you haven't; you haven't updated the PDP." "Er, no. Ahem. Damn.")

> Have a 500 Cash penalty.

The full fine? Ouch. Oh well.

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"It's a fair cop, but society is to blame."