Subject: Proposal: Amend rule "20. Psychiatriast"

From: "Feyd " <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 04:02:36 -0000

Add the following paragraph to rule 20:

Article I: Mental Abuse
"If a player request for treatment treatment from the Psychiatrist is 
refused, or the Psychiatrist does not answer the player, then the 
player can claim "Mental Abuse". If Doc or es appointee finds that 
the Psychiatrist did indeed refuse treatment to the patient, the 
Psychiatrist will be fined $200, and receive a reprimand that will 
cause him to lose 15 soul points.

Feyd.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 10:59:32 -0000

> cause him to lose 15 soul points.

Effectively changing Psychiatry to "Any Player may ask for a 
Psychosis to be cured; that Psychosis is cured unless the 
Psychiatrist chooses to suffer large penalties." - why not go the 
whole hog and amend it to "Any Player may cure any of their Psychoses 
at any time"?

I'd rather see some Cash and Pill-barter mechanics in place, really. 
Although I'd be glad cure your Agoraphobia if you used your 
Epidemiologist powers to cure my Addiction...

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"I'm listening."

---

From: "Feyd " <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 17:06:06 -0000

> Epidemiologist powers to cure my Addiction...

Well, the Psychiatrist can basically banish all psychosis any time he 
wants too Anyway -- there is no limit to the number of cures he can 
grant.

Feyd

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 19:32:44 -0000

> wants too Anyway -- there is no limit to the number of cures he can 

Not really; he can only banish Psychoses which people specifically 
ask him to banish.

But either way it's entirely different to Players being able to cure 
*their own* Psychoses at whim, which is pretty much what would happen 
if the Psychiatrist was faced with huge fines for not curing people.

The idea has some merit, that the Psychiatrist should honour his 
profession and cure as many people as possible, but may choose, in 
exceptional circumstances, to deny treatment (maybe if it would 
result in the patient Winning, or something). But it'd make more 
sense to automate the process - to have cures taking effect 
automatically if the Psychiatrist doesn't object within 24 hours, 
rather than requiring a hundred "Can you cure me?" "Yes, okay, you're 
cured." conversations for every "No, I refuse to cure you!" drama.

But as it stands, it would just mean that anyone could get rid of any 
of their Psychoses for free, at any time, which seems a bit too 
powerful. And the Psychiatrist-denial is easily avoidable by asking 
for the same cure six or seven times in a row, of course, forcing the 
Psychiatrist to choose between curing you and being killed. Not good.

K.

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"I sensed a power in the fingers."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 02 Jan 2001 16:56:02 -0500

> cause him to lose 15 soul points.

REJECTED. Kevan's arguments are persuasive. Feyd now has FoR.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: "Feyd " <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 03:45:06 -0000

> Epidemiologist powers to cure my Addiction...

Despite my absolute pounding headache, and my fear that you will mock 
my suggestion, as Epidemiologist I have a rather old sample of ground 
Aardvard tongue, stored in queen ant royal jelly paste. Taking this 
should reduce the Addiction you suffer from.

I Request that you counsel me to overcome my Fear of Rejection. Is 
there anything you can do to help me with my Headache too?

Feyd

---

From: "Feyd " <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 03:45:45 -0000

--- In [email-masked], kevan@s... wrote:
> > Article I: Mental Abuse
> > "If a player request for treatment treatment from the 
Psychiatrist 
> is

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 11:14:14 -0000

> should reduce the Addiction you suffer from.

Mm. Mmph. Absolutely disgusting. I think it's probably done the 
trick, though. My thanks.

> I Request that you counsel me to overcome my Fear of Rejection.

Interesting. I think your real problem stems from your Agoraphobia, 
that this fear of your ideas being rejected is intertwined with the 
increasing size of the Hospital; you are afraid that any new 
suggestion on your part could lead, directly or indirectly, to an 
even *larger* environment.

But after our counselling session, I feel that you've overcome both 
of these issues, and - indeed - it's taught me a great deal about the 
fear of rejection and acceptance of progress.

Feyd is cured of Agoraphobia and Fear of Rejection. Kevan is cured of 
Fear of Rejection.

> Is there anything you can do to help me with my Headache too?

Sadly not.

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"I just want to be seen in the back of your car."