Subject: Proposal: Dawn of the Dead

From: "Kevan Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:40:44 -0000

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal - Dawn of the Dead

[[ Altered to include generic attack (or just normal Leg-Breaking
if the "Attack!" Proposal fails) and generally simplifying the
wording and implementation. ]]

Reword Article 2 of the "Mad Scientist (and his assistant)" Rule to:-

A Zombie may only take the following Actions, and only one Action
per day. If the Zombie is under a Player's control, that Player
may issue an Action for the Zombie making all target selections.
If the Zombie is uncontrolled, any Player may use the PDP to
determine a random Action, followed by a random target (player/
room/pill colour) if appropriate, before issuing the consequences.

1 - ATTACK : The Zombie Attacks a Player (other than itself) in its
current Room. This Attack incurs no Soul cost.
2 - MOVE : The Zombie lurches into a new Room (although it will
never move from the Hospital Entrance to the Hallway of
Death, or back into the Morgue).
3 - ROT : The Zombie spreads its unholy decay to a Player (other
than itself) in its current Room. That Player has a
40% chance of contracting Icky Rot.
4 - PILL : The Zombie takes a Pill in its possession, if it has
any.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 16 Feb 2001 12:24:16 -0500

ACCEPTED. 1 green.

-- 
- Doc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 16 Feb 2001 12:57:28 -0500

Just for conciseness, I removed the "(other than itself)" bits. Since
a Zombie is not a Player, these make no sense. (If somehow Zombies
acquire Player status, of course, these will have to be put back in.)

-- 
- Doc

---

From: "Kevan Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:02:45 -0000

> acquire Player status, of course, these will have to be put back 
in.)

Oh, you're right, I missed the "Zombies are not players" bit at the 
bottom of the rule. I thought having all the attributes of Players 
(except a proper Soul) included "being affected by things that affect 
Players".

Does this mean we can't Attack the Zombie or pass our Diseases onto 
him, then? Feh.

Kevan

--
http://uncertain.org/~kevan
"Undead hate all fundraising stalwarts."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:07:44 -0000

> Does this mean we can't Attack the Zombie or pass our Diseases onto 

Good point. how do we want to fix this? I think they should remain 
immune to all non-physical diesases (a zombie with a cold? please!)

I propose that we amend rule 29 Attack with the following paragraph:

Zombies may be "attacked" by players, and suffer all penalties of 
injuries it receives from being attacked. 
A Player attacking a Zombie receives a penalty of -15 added to eir 
roll.
A Zombie attacking a Player receives a bonus of +15 added to its roll.

Feyd

---

From: "Kevan Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:34:58 -0000

> immune to all non-physical diesases (a zombie with a cold? please!)

I don't think of Zombies as being particularly healthy sorts of 
people, myself...

> A Zombie attacking a Player receives a bonus of +15 added to its 
roll.

Frightening stuff.

I was writing my own fix in the mean time, anyway, and thought I'd 
put it forward regardless. I think the game would have more potential 
if Zombies were largely thought of as Players, myself - I imagine in 
most cases where we talk of "a Player", it'd make sense to include 
Zombies ("Players" not being able to walk through locked doors, etc).

Kevan

"Glad to be grey."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 16 Feb 2001 14:38:47 -0500

> A Zombie attacking a Player receives a bonus of +15 added to its roll.

Accepted. 1 green.

-- 
- Doc