Subject: Nomic: draft ruleset (motions)

From: Benjamin Bradley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:28:24 -0500 (CDT)

>From reading the rules it seems to me that there are three types of
actions that a player may induce: proposals, motions, and orders.
Proposals and orders are covered (and covered well in my opinion) but
motions have no rules about timing or responsibility. When do
adopted motions go into effect and who is responsible for implementing
them (Administrator?)?

- You have received mail from Benjamin Bradley. C'est ne pas un e-mail.
- http://lostpoet.tripod.com/
- whee life what a rush

---

From: Joel Uckelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:56:40 -0500

> adopted motions go into effect and who is responsible for implementing

I think this addresses the problem you mention, by adding a class of Orders
resulting from the passage of Motions.

--
Motion to Add

Any Agent otherwise qualified as a Player may become one if a Motion
to Add naming em is adopted. Motions to Add are Privileged Motions. A
Motion to Add is adopted if its passage ratio is at least two-thirds.                   
The Motive Order corresponding to an adopted Motion to Add directs the
Administrator to add the named Agent to the Roster.

--
Motions

A Motion consists of one or more potential Motive Orders, as specified
in the Rules specific to the Motion.

Motions may be Privileged or Restricted. Privileged Motions may be made
by any Player at any time, while Restricted Motions may be made only as
specified in their respective Rules.

--
Recognition of Motions

The Administrator shall, within a reasonable time after receiving a new
Motion, assign it the next Motion number. A new Motion is not officially
recognized until it is assigned a serial number.

--
Motion Numbering

Motion numbers are serial numbers for Motions. The base serial number for
Motions is 1.

--
Adoption of Motions

A Motion is adopted iff it receives unanimous consent, or at the close of
voting, its passage ratio exceeds one-half. Motive Orders in an adopted
Motion shall be executed in a timely fashion by the appropriate Officers.
Only Motions defined in the Rules have effect if adopted.

--

-- 
J.