Subject: Re: Nomic: game name

From: Matt Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:16:00 -0500

> Lexinomic (lex is the Latin root for "law")
> Zeta Nomic (in recognition of this being our sixth game, by my count)

Oh.  I thought this was inspired by Joel's love for the ass of a certain
actress.  Silly me.

> No-miq (inspired by mu-siq, a drum and bass/experimental group)

Could call it "dentist drill Nomic" while we're at it. (Yeah, I know, the
"dentist drill" track was prolly by some other group, but one
experimental group or another, same same, five dolla, numba
ten.)  Actually, Dentist
Drill Nomic would probably describe the experience of this nomic game
fairly well.  %)

> TNFKAB (The Nomic Formerly Known as Berserker)

Blech.  Let's change it to a non-phonetic symbol while we're at it.

Couple other dumb ideas off the top of my head:

GNAFG  (GNAFG's Not A Fucking Nomic; yeah I'm clever alright)
Fucking Nomic (while we're on the subject)
Crazy Drunken Joel Nomic (self-explanitory; alternatively, it could be
Joel, the Crazy Drunken Nomic)
A Scattered and Wandering Tribe of Nomic
Nomic:  a Palladium Sourcebook for Rifts(tm) (admittedly a weak entry, as
well as the alternate version, Nomic:  a GURPS Sourcebook.  There's already
a Nomic:  the Masquerade out there, so we can't very well make fun of White
Wolf) 
then there's always Cyclone Nomic and Jack Trice Ruleset, although no one
from ISU would get the joke, and I might be accused of having some sort of
school spirit with a name like that. 
Subtitled Nomic ("I bet it makes more sense in the original Japanese")

and of course, when all else fails there's always Fred's Sister (And Her
Chinchilla).

Hm.  For the life of me, I can't think of any creative puns on a Greek
root, or amusingly obscure references to pre-19th-century
sociopolitical movements.  This probably means something.  Like I'm
st00pid, maybe.

Potter

[end note:  perusing the "Net Nomic Database," I see four blank bullets at
the top of the list.  I wonder if that's from four different games having
the amazing bright idea of "hey, let's make the name of our game a
whitespace character"?]