Subject: Nomic: Qs about draft ruleset

From: Benjamin Bradley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:07:25 -0500 (CDT)

what exactly does this clause cover?

* Whatever is not prohibited or regulated by the ruleset is permitted 
and unregulated, with the sole exception of rule changes, which are 
permitted only when a rule or set of rules explicitly or implicitly 
permits them.

and what sort of actions does this clause refer to?
* Actions occur at the time they appear in the forum in which they are
committed. No state changes may occur prior to the actions which caused
them.

- You have received mail from Benjamin Bradley. C'est ne pas un e-mail.
- http://lostpoet.tripod.com/
- whee life what a rush

---

From: Wbfu Xbegorva <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:17:07 CDT

>permitted only when a rule or set of rules explicitly or implicitly 

This is the SUPER HAPPY FUN RULE. It's one of the things that makes
the game fun; it helps determine what to do about things people
say they do, or that they claim happen, and the rules are silent
on the matter.

Josh

-- 
josh blog: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~kortbein/blog/

---

From: Benjamin Bradley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:48:21 -0500 (CDT)

> say they do, or that they claim happen, and the rules are silent

this implies that moves other than rule-changes(or additions,etc) are
allowed in the game. By the rules of strict nomic, the only move in the
game is to propose a ruleset change. I think this is where our temporal
problems stem from. Whenever new actions are allowed, rules must be
defined which cover when they occur, what happens, who can initiate them,
how long they last, etc.

?

---

From: Wbfu Xbegorva <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 21:33:46 CDT

>game is to propose a ruleset change. I think this is where our temporal

What's "strict nomic"?

http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/writing/nomic.htm#initialset

cf. 116.

J   o  s h