Subject: ackanomic Digest V4 #258
From: [email-masked]
To: ackanomic digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 00:00:01 -0400 (EDT)

ackanomic Digest	Friday, September 24 1999	Volume: 04  Issue: 258

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka Zap!
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 00:46:47 -0400 (EDT)

the phaaaaaantom of the opera is... something.

IB

------------------------------

From: Bill Palmer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka Zap!
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 02:37:44 -0400 (EDT)

trying to scalp tickets?

Matt Miller wrote:

> the phaaaaaantom of the opera is... something.
>
> IB

------------------------------

From: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Zap!
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 14:50:12 -0400 (EDT)

>the phaaaaaantom of the opera is... something.
>

Canadian?

Cthulhu

------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: A moment of silence
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 19:18:54 -0400 (EDT)

I ask for a moment of silence in respect for the historic moment of the
passing of an era, and the birth of a new era.

--JT

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: An offer
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 19:25:10 -0400 (EDT)

I am willing to act as speaker/rule-harfer if EAP really does not want the
job (he'd said on IRC recently that he didn't).   I'm also willing to set
up and maintain a CVS archive of the current rules and changes to the
rules so that we can keep accurate archives of when things got changed.

(I'm willing to do the latter even if EAP or someone else remains speaker,
I'll just give them write access)

--JT

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CVS info
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 19:58:23 -0400 (EDT)

For those who want to be able to grab the current rules via CVS (or who
were confused by what I meant before), I offer the following  (note, you
need a unix account or a program called WinCVS to use it, and for WinCVS
you'll need to figure out how to set it up)

cvs -d :pserver:[email-masked]:/home/cvs login

At the password prompt, just hit enter.

cvs -d :pserver:[email-masked]:/home/cvs checkout acka

This will create a subdirectory called 'acka' containing a file 'rules'.

To pick up any changes to the rules, cd into the acka directory and type

cvs update

--JT

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CVS info
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 20:13:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, JT wrote:

> For those who want to be able to grab the current rules via CVS (or who
> were confused by what I meant before), I offer the following  (note, you
> need a unix account or a program called WinCVS to use it, and for WinCVS
> you'll need to figure out how to set it up)

There is a mac client, too.  I don't know anything about it, other than it
exists.  See www.cyclic.com.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron V. Humphrey" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A moment of silence
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 22:22:55 -0400 (EDT)

> I ask for a moment of silence in respect for the historic moment of the
> passing of an era, and the birth of a new era.

> --JT

Am I correct in thinking that the current games of FFFM and Fictionary,
among many other things, are no longer rule-defined?

--
--Alfvaen(Web page:http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/)
Song In My Head--Joni Mitchell:Big Yellow Taxi
Current Book--W. Somerset Maugham:Cakes And Ale
Scandal is mud.  Give it time to dry and it turns to dust.  Then deal with
it.

------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A moment of silence
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 22:40:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
> > I ask for a moment of silence in respect for the historic moment of the
> > passing of an era, and the birth of a new era.
> 
> > --JT
> 
> Am I correct in thinking that the current games of FFFM and Fictionary,
> among many other things, are no longer rule-defined?

You are.  However, there is nothing that says we cannot keep playing them
by the rules as they were should we so desire.. they are no longer
regulated by the rules is all.

--JT

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

From: Mueller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A moment of silence
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 22:43:07 -0400 (EDT)

At 10:22 PM 9/24/99 -0400, you wrote:
>
>
>> I ask for a moment of silence in respect for the historic moment of the
>> passing of an era, and the birth of a new era.
>
>> --JT
>
>Am I correct in thinking that the current games of FFFM and Fictionary,
>among many other things, are no longer rule-defined?
>

Its much more serious than that...

"The game state of Ackanomic is deemed to consist of this rule and those
persons who were Players the instant before the results of the proposal
which amended this rule to its current form were reported, and nothing
else, except the Player who was the Rule-Harfer on Fri, 10 Sep 1999
21:47:05 [Emperor Ai! Pedrito!] is deemed to be the Speaker."

We don't even have the limited sort of metaphysics of old... entities and
Malenkai's loophole and such....

These things aren't just not rule defined, they were explicitly removed
from the game state and can't be put back in without rule-based
justification persuant to Rule II.

- Studge...

or maybe not... were "players" (1) in game avatars or (2) carbon organisms
when this happened... and what difference exactly would it make.

Oh for a scaremonger.  But even such a necessary fixture as Scaremonger is
gone.

------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A moment of silence
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 22:51:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Mueller wrote:
> "The game state of Ackanomic is deemed to consist of this rule and those
> persons who were Players the instant before the results of the proposal
> which amended this rule to its current form were reported, and nothing
> else, except the Player who was the Rule-Harfer on Fri, 10 Sep 1999
> 21:47:05 [Emperor Ai! Pedrito!] is deemed to be the Speaker."
> 
> We don't even have the limited sort of metaphysics of old... entities and
> Malenkai's loophole and such....

So :)  We don't need them yet :)

> These things aren't just not rule defined, they were explicitly removed
> from the game state and can't be put back in without rule-based
> justification persuant to Rule II.

Yeah, they aren't part of the game state.   So what.. we can still play
them, they just don't have any affect on Ackanomic (the Game (tm)) when we
do so.

> or maybe not... were "players" (1) in game avatars or (2) carbon
> organisms when this happened... and what difference exactly would it
> make.

None at all.   Since a player was equivalent to exactly one RL person.
Those RL persons are players of this new game and life is simple, but
good.

> Oh for a scaremonger.  But even such a necessary fixture as Scaremonger is
> gone.

Feh.. you scare yourself enough that even one of those isn't needed.

BOO!!!

--JT

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

End of ackanomic Digest V4 #258
*******************************