Subject: ackanomic Digest V4 #253
From: [email-masked]
To: ackanomic digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 00:00:03 -0400 (EDT)

ackanomic Digest	Sunday, September 19 1999	Volume: 04  Issue: 253

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 729 (I hope) TRUE
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 05:56:29 -0400 (EDT)

Call for Judgement 729 - September 18, 1999
Subject: Clayton's Condition
Initiator: Quoth the Raven (17 Sep 1999 4:24 Acka)
Judge: Clamshell Lawyer
Judgement: TRUE
 
Statement:
Quoth the Raven has an Unclaimed Winning Condition by Rule 2-2

Initiator's Reasoning:
Initially I was not planning to try to claim this winning condition, but
as Red Mao Gang pointed out, it could be somewhat interesting due to the
fact that no rule appeared to grant it to me.
 
Rule 8 states (for example):
 
"Winning Conditions may only be created, destroyed, or manipulated as
described by the rules."

and

"When a player achieves a Winning Condition, a Winning Condition is
created in his possession in the Unclaimed state, with its creator
attribute set to the rule number of the rule which caused the Winning
Condition to be achieved."

The immediately apparent problem with my trying to claim the winning
condition apparently granted to me by proposal 4365 is that no rule
appears to have granted it.

However, Rule 2-2 states:

"If a proposal is accepted, then any one-time effects, such as changes
to the rules, shall be applied, one at a time, in the order in which
they appear in the proposal. (Ambiguous, retroactive, and/or meaningless
effects are ignored.)"

I would therefore argue that P4365 caused R2-2 to grant me a winning
condition.

Judge's Reasoning:
For the most part, I agree with the initiator.  If P4365 had said,
instead, "Quoth the Raven gains the title "Lucky Sod Whose Only Cycle
Wins Have Come From Proposals Specifically Constructed For Em"." there
would be little argument that R2-2 granted em that title.  Since R8 is
specific about Winning Conditions being able to be created, R2-2 has the
power.

To my mind, the only point of contention might be that Rule 8 says
"achieved," whereas the Proposal in question says "gains." However, I
think semantics (and custom) would decree that the two are close enough.

{{ Quoth the Raven gains the title "Lucky Sod Whose Only Cycle Wins Have
Come From Proposals Specifically Constructed For Em." }}

------------------------------

From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 729 - cycle end
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 06:00:11 -0400 (EDT)

With my acting speaker hat on I declare that the cycle will end in 4
days at 23 Sep 1999 05:56:29, pending appeals of course.

K 2

Cycle 37 here we come :-)

K 2 wrote:
> 
> Call for Judgement 729 - September 18, 1999
> Subject: Clayton's Condition
> Initiator: Quoth the Raven (17 Sep 1999 4:24 Acka)
> Judge: Clamshell Lawyer
> Judgement: TRUE
> 
> Statement:
> Quoth the Raven has an Unclaimed Winning Condition by Rule 2-2

------------------------------

From: Henry Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Back, again
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 15:19:16 -0400 (EDT)

	I return from ice or wherever I was.

------------------------------

From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Lookit!
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 18:57:41 -0400 (EDT)

It's next week already.

I go to the Lonely Mountain.  I mine fer ore.

IB

------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Lookit!
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 19:36:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Matt Miller wrote:
> It's next week already.
> 
> I go to the Lonely Mountain.  I mine fer ore.

Hey. E's right.  I go to the lonely mountain.  I mine for Ore.  I go home.

--JT

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

End of ackanomic Digest V4 #253
*******************************