Subject: ackanomic Digest V4 #230
From: [email-masked]
To: ackanomic digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 00:00:02 -0400 (EDT)

ackanomic Digest	Friday, August 27 1999	Volume: 04  Issue: 230

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Acka: *ping*
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:42:04 -0400 (EDT)

Today is Friday, the 27th day of August, and 
the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today.
Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 3 times.

------------------------------

From: Henry Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Custom Thesis
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:30:38 -0400 (EDT)

The following is submitted in completion of a BA in Custom.

				Truly Immutable
				  else...if

	One of the traditions in Ackanomic is an opposition to immutable
rules.  On the only occasion the author knows of when there was a seemingly
immutable rule (following the Vulcan takeover) there was a relentless
attempt to break its power (it is now rule 13-1(1)).  Yet Ackanomic has
held to a set of ideals which do seem to be truly immutable througout its
history.  For the benefit of all Ackans, I have attempted to set them all
down in order of appearance (order of appearance in my head, that is),
where possible along with supporting history.

1) The Law of Harf: Do not create additional work for the harfer without
permission.  Observe the work/fun ratio.
	The work/fun ratio is the concept that a proposal should not create
more work unless the added fun is commesurate.  In the comments at the
beginning of Proposal 2095, Malenkai wrote,
	"There is a limited capacity for work from the people in the game
who are willing to do it, so this capacity has to be taken from this rule,
and used on something more interesting than player selections. I'd much
rather develop some fun stuff than do this sort of stuff, quite frankly.
	People sometimes ask me why I vote NO so much. The first thing I
look at in a proposal is 'how much more work does this create?', and has
its author considered this, provided for it, and does the work pay off at
least 1 to 1 in fun." (2)
	Many players will also consult with a harfer before proposing
something which would increase the workload for that office, and the
harfers have often had an informal veto over proposals which would create
more work.

2) The Law of Hubert: No player should benefit from having more net access
than another or being in a different time zone.  No player should need to
check their e-mail more than once every three days.

3) The Law of Obfuscation: It's okay to make scam proposals, but not in a
complicated proposal.
	This is mostly a matter of politeness.  Very few players want to
take the time to read through complicated proposals consisting of numerous
changes and understand it in detail.  It is understood, therefore, that
scam proposals will be simple enough to give the other players a sporting
chance.

4) The Law of Compensation: The first player to perform a scam has a
(limited) right to profit from it.

5) The Law of Originality: Do not use a scam someone else has used (except
as a counter for the same scam).
	Without a doubt, the most important document for both Originality
and Compensation is Alfvaen's comments in Crisis Resolution Document 101:
	"breadbox, as the discoverer of said loophole, is certainly welcome
to surf it as necessary to make it clear. It seems against the spirit of
the game of Nomic, however, for others to take advantage of it, all rushing
to jump on the bandwagon in an attempt to perturb the game state further
and further away from anything rational. Further, the situation is very
much in the nature of a Hubert; those who happened to see breadbox's
initial action first took advantage of it as well, while those who saw it
later tended to, out of deference to the fine Officers who make it possible
for them to play, hold back. Should some be rewarded for a chance of
timing, while others penalized for
consideration for other players? Of course not. [Notice that this is the
Law of Hubert]" (3)

6) The Law of Honesty: Harfers may not abuse their powers for a scam.
	Harfers are essential to the game, and are given important powers
to carry out their duties.  It is understood that those powers are off
limits as far as scamming goes.  For instance, if the Clerk of the Courts
took four days to send out a CFJ (violating the three day limit) and
apologized for being busy, noone would complain.  If the Clerk delayed a
CFJ four days as part of a scam they would probably be impeached.

7) The Law of Politeness: Don't attack players personally, and when you do
criticize something, do it politely.
	This tradition (which is occasionally violated) is a difficult one,
and the Politeness Moon was eventually created to help enforce it.
Ackanomic is a community; when players start making personal attacks, it
makes it less fun for everyone, and discourages players from taking risks
(which is what the game is about).  This is one of the few formally
enforced laws.

8) The Law of Acka: Always but Acka: in your subject.
	Note that there was some discussion about having the list server do
this automatically.  The verdict was that doing so would make players less
likely to do it for private mail; that players should do it was taken as a
given.  Also such rules as hosing.  In general, individual violations are
ignored, although enforcement is up to the Postmaster.  This is one of only
two legally enforced traditions.

9) The Law of Credit: When using someone else's idea in a proposal, give
them some of the points (and deduct them from your score).
	I won't offer citations for this one.  Proposals with statements of
the type "Deduct Q points from so and so's score and increase what's his
face's score by Q" are quite common.

(1) Ackanomic Rule Set
(2) Proposal 2095
(3) Crisis Resolution Document 101

--
-Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Thank heavens, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and
enjoy it.
		-Logan Pearsall Smith

------------------------------

From: Rachel L Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: New Player (JT)
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:34:35 -0400 (EDT)

As JT hinted last night Elio M. García, Jr. ([email-masked]) is joining
us as a new voting player with the Ackanomic name Reductio. E said A
German Dog (or whatever e's called now. I probably shoulld know as the
registrar, shouldn't I?) introduced em to the game, so presuming e
accepts e will become eir mentor. Please join me in greeting em.
Welcome!

Quoth the Raven, Registrar.

-- 
Rachel Walmsley. [email-masked] ICQ: 2925739
Personal page - http://website.lineone.net/~t.walmsley/index.html
The Doh! Zone - http://www.dohzone.uk.eu.org/
Ahab says, "I don't care who you are, here's to your dream!"

------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Player (JT)
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 23:29:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Rachel L Walmsley wrote:
> As JT hinted last night Elio M. García, Jr. ([email-masked]) is joining
> us as a new voting player with the Ackanomic name Reductio. E said A
> German Dog (or whatever e's called now. I probably shoulld know as the
> registrar, shouldn't I?) introduced em to the game, so presuming e
> accepts e will become eir mentor. Please join me in greeting em.
> Welcome!

And I do accept, most happily.

--JT (Red Mao Gang for the nitpicky)

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

End of ackanomic Digest V4 #230
*******************************