Subject: ackanomic Digest V4 #201
From: [email-masked]
To: ackanomic digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 00:00:01 -0400 (EDT)

ackanomic Digest	Wednesday, July 28 1999	Volume: 04  Issue: 201

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: *Ping*
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:15:02 -0400 (EDT)

Today is Wednesday the 28th day of July, and the Machine That Goes *ping*
has gone *ping* today.  Since I have been scholar, the Machine has
gone *ping* 10 times.

--Dragon Mage

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Odd Man Out
From: Joseph DeVincentis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 21:37:11 -0400 (EDT)

After repeated attempts by JT to produce an acceptable list in this scheme,
I am accepting this 9-member list:

Joseph        -- All the rest have 5 letters.
Jesus         -- All of the rest are only usable as names. (Jesus is also
                 commonly used as an exclamation of disgust)
Julia         -- All the rest are names which can refer to men.
Trent         -- All the rest begin with J.
James         -- None of the rest are common last names.
Jorge         -- All of the rest are common in America.
Jules         -- None of the others have a homonym.
Jamie         -- All of the others are gender specific names.
Jeffy         -- All of the others are formal names. (Jamie is both a
                 formal name and nickname.  I have never heard Jeffy used
                 in a forma situation)

EAP also asked me to reiterate my objection to lists in which all the
reasons are variations on the same theme, and provided an endlessly
extensible example:

  3*5*7*... : not divisible by 2
2*  5*7*... : not divisible by 3
2*3*  7*... : not divisible by 5
2*3*5*  ... : not divisible by 7
...           ...

Don't submit stuff like this, unless you think you have a particularly
creative one.  However, it's OK to include a couple entries with reasons
like this in a list where they do not represent an overwhelmingly large
portion of the list.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Feeling very stupid right this moment.
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:26:07 -0400 (EDT)

I give A$10 to the twits.
I resign as Treasure Harfer, having found absolutely no time over the past
two weeks to get the files updated, I'd rather give it to someone else who
can actually do the job in a timely fashion.

--JT, feeling way overworked in RL right now.

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

End of ackanomic Digest V4 #201
*******************************