Subject: ackanomic Digest V4 #192
From: [email-masked]
To: ackanomic digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 00:00:01 -0400 (EDT)

ackanomic Digest	Monday, July 19 1999	Volume: 04  Issue: 192

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: letter anyone?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 02:55:28 -0400 (EDT)

Doesn't anyone want a letter for the Truth?

Sheesh.

--JT

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: letter anyone?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 07:26:53 -0400 (EDT)

e

A$ 27

K 2

JT wrote:

> Doesn't anyone want a letter for the Truth?
>
> Sheesh.
>
> --JT
>
> --
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> [ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
> [ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Acka: Educational Hearing
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:36:08 -0400 (EDT)

I vote:
> "Students who THINK? What will they come up with next..."

--
--Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Ginger:Everything You're Missing
Current Book--Michelle West:The Broken Crown
Once you pull the pin, Mr. Grenade is no longer a friend.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: Educational Hearing
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:51:19 -0400 (EDT)

Students who THINK?  What will they come up with next...

ThinMan

------------------------------

From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: *Ping*
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:15:07 -0400 (EDT)

Today is Monday the 19th day of July, and the Machine That Goes *ping*
has gone *ping* today.  Since I have been scholar, the Machine has
gone *ping* 7 times.

--Dragon Mage

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: letter anyone?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:17:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, K 2 wrote:
> e
> 
> A$ 27

Hmmm.  Let's see.   I do recall there being some E's in the Truth now that
you mention it.

IF AND ONLY IF today **e ***e**** ****** *** ****e* *e**e*e***** *****
******* *e*e**ee* ** ****e, THEN the Machine That Goes *ping* shall go
*ping*.

--JT, Scholar of *Ping*

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

From: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: stuff
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:33:40 -0400 (EDT)

/devus/joeus wroteth:
>I create a trinket named "it so" worth A$10 with the description:
>
> 4250 AD-1250 AD
> 1000 AD-4900 AD
>

You didn't just make it so did you?

King Felix
(groan)

------------------------------

From: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Otzma Card
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:50:18 -0400 (EDT)

>these need to be taken off your OC determination, and in fact need to be
>replaced.  P4242 saw to that.
>-- Emperor Ai! Pedrito!

Curses!!!

A correct random determination will follow shortly to determine what otzma
card you get. Ignore the one I did before.

King Felix

------------------------------

From: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: nominations (Herald)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:50:21 -0400 (EDT)

I open nominations for the office of herald. Reply to nominate yourself.

King Felix
(Count Tabula)

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Otzma Card
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:51:16 -0400 (EDT)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Player: Emperor Ai! Pedrito!
# 1 - Go Fish
# Shield (at maximum)
# 2 - Map Shard
# 3 - Share My Expenses
# 4 - Share Your Income
# 5 - Tactical Retreat
# 6 - Paratroop
# Foul Fowl (at maximum)
# 7 - Truthseeker
# 8 - Skeleton Key
# 9 - Arctic Explorer
# 10 - Roulette Wheel

No. of sides on every die:     10
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

      2

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/

=================================================
             ** NewHoo Web Directory **
    An army of editors surfing the web for you!
               http://www.NewHoo.com/
=================================================

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Mon Jul 19 12:22:44 1999
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id MAA04021 for <[email-masked]>; Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:22:44 -0700
> Received: from mail12.svr.pol.co.uk(195.92.193.215) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma003656; Mon Jul 19 12:22:34 1999
> Received: from modem-19.gold.dialup.pol.co.uk ([62.136.39.19] helo=default)
>       by mail12.svr.pol.co.uk with smtp (Exim 2.12 #1)
>       id 116IUP-0000Ob-00
>       for [email-masked]; Mon, 19 Jul 1999 19:50:14 +0100
> Message-ID: <00c901bed217$62eafa40$c631883e@default>
> From: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Otzma Card
> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 19:42:16 +0100
> X-Priority: 3
> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
> X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3110.5
> X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3110.3
> 
> #p [email-masked]
> #s 10
> #d 1
> #r 1
> #l 1
> #t Acka: Otzma Card
> #c Player: Emperor Ai! Pedrito!
> #c
> #c 1 - Go Fish
> #c Shield (at maximum)
> #c 2 - Map Shard
> #c 3 - Share My Expenses
> #c 4 - Share Your Income
> #c 5 - Tactical Retreat
> #c 6 - Paratroop
> #c Foul Fowl (at maximum)
> #c 7 - Truthseeker
> #c 8 - Skeleton Key
> #c 9 - Arctic Explorer
> #c 10 - Roulette Wheel
> 
> 

------------------------------

From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasure harfer page
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:51:41 -0400 (EDT)

At 09:00 PM 7/18/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I have K2's pages from when e was treasure harfer up at
>http://www.ackanomic.org/~jt/nomic/acka/treasure.html.

he actually means http://www.ackanomic.org/~jt/acka/treasure.html.

>I will be cleaning up the HTML and stuff as I go through them.
>
>If anyone sees any errors or things that shouldn't be there, or things
>that are missing, please let me know politely and I'll do my best to fix
>it quickly.

-- Emperor Ai! Pedrito!
Butthead * Crazy French-Scotsman * DeeJay * Dungeon Master * Harfmeister *
Really Weird * Rule-Harfer * Weird * Wrangler

------------------------------

From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Actions
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:53:38 -0400 (EDT)

I sign the silver shovel contract.
I go to the Acka portrait gallery.

-- Emperor Ai! Pedrito!
Butthead * Crazy French-Scotsman * DeeJay * Dungeon Master * Harfmeister *
Really Weird * Rule-Harfer * Weird * Wrangler

------------------------------

From: Eric Wald <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Educational Hearing
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:42:37 -0400 (EDT)

> I call an Educational Hearing on else...if's thesis below. Valid responses
> are "Burn the Heretic!" [against] and "Students who THINK? What will they
> come up with next..." [for]. Players have three days to vote.

Students who THINK? What will they come up with next...

The essay is surprisingly accurate.
Tri-nomic ( http://nomic.apolo.cx/ ), has survived crisis 1,
and is in the center of crisis 2.  New players welcome.
Logically organized version of current Tri-nomic rules 
available at http://www.angelfire.com/tn/logical/

from -> [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: otzma shmotzma (K 2 possibly)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:44:27 -0400 (EDT)

As a result of p4242 the following stuff happens:

Burn the Witch's Founder's Boon is destroyed and e gets a Paratroop. Laa
Laa's Founder's Boon is destroyed and e gets a Skeleton Key. r-attila the
farce's Founder's Boon is destroyed and e gets a Tactical Retreat. Studge's
Training Regime is destroyed and e gets a Truthseeker.

Phew!

King Felix
(randomed out)

------------------------------

From: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: trinket, otzma card play
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:44:34 -0400 (EDT)

>I play my grave robber otzma card, naming Mr cwm as the tarket.
>
>
>rufus
>

I read this as an unambiguous mis-spelling of "I play my arctic explorer
otzma card, naming mr cwm as the target". ;)

King Felix
(the hero and the pragmatist)

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Arctic Explorer (mr cwm)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:44:45 -0400 (EDT)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Played by: rufus
# 1 - Prosthetic Forehead #1
# 2 - Prosthetic Forehead #2
# 3 - Prosthetic Forehead #3
# 4 - Prosthetic Forehead #4
# 5 - Prosthetic Forehead #5
# 6 - Prosthetic Forehead #6
# 7 - Prosthetic Forehead #7
# 8 - Little Wooden Ship #8
# 9 - The Haddocks' Eyes Locket

No. of sides on every die:      9
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

      9

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/

=================================================
             ** NewHoo Web Directory **
    An army of editors surfing the web for you!
               http://www.NewHoo.com/
=================================================

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Mon Jul 19 14:16:55 1999
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id OAA12586 for <[email-masked]>; Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:16:55 -0700
> Received: from mail10.svr.pol.co.uk(195.92.193.214) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma012578; Mon Jul 19 14:16:53 1999
> Received: from modem-92.cadmium.dialup.pol.co.uk ([62.136.23.220] helo=default)
>       by mail10.svr.pol.co.uk with smtp (Exim 2.12 #1)
>       id 116KGv-0002WK-00
>       for [email-masked]; Mon, 19 Jul 1999 21:44:25 +0100
> Message-ID: <000401bed227$5084f1c0$dc17883e@default>
> From: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: 
> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 20:12:46 +0100
> X-Priority: 3
> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
> X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3110.5
> X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3110.3
> 
> #p [email-masked]
> #s 9
> #d 1
> #r 1
> #l 1
> #t Acka: Arctic Explorer (mr cwm)
> #c Played by: rufus
> #c
> #c 1 - Prosthetic Forehead #1
> #c 2 - Prosthetic Forehead #2
> #c 3 - Prosthetic Forehead #3
> #c 4 - Prosthetic Forehead #4
> #c 5 - Prosthetic Forehead #5
> #c 6 - Prosthetic Forehead #6
> #c 7 - Prosthetic Forehead #7
> #c 8 - Little Wooden Ship #8
> #c 9 - The Haddocks' Eyes Locket
> 
> 

------------------------------

From: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RuneMaker
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:48:44 -0400 (EDT)

Since Slakko is vacationing and I can't work out who is acting in his place
(I think it's me) I've put up a temporary page at
http://www.logan18.freeserve.co.uk/acka/runemaker.htm which is fairly
sparse. This is only because I'm tracking this information anyway and I
thought it might aid others. If anyone sees an error, please report it. This
page will hold additional information later in the week once I have finished
trawling the archives.

King Felix
(works too hard)

------------------------------

From: Mueller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: OC actions
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:23:51 -0400 (EDT)

If my creation of an Otzma Card earlier failed (in one thread split) then I
create it now (bringing the threads together).

Studge

------------------------------

From: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Word Un-Association (404 Not Found)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:29:25 -0400 (EDT)

>I have mailed 404 Not Found about his position as referee. If he does not
>reply within three days I will be able to appoint another willing player as
>ref. Any premature volunteers?
>
>King Felix
>(pessimistic speaker)
>

404 Not Found has not responded within three days. I am now able to appoint
any willing player as referee of this game. Volunteer away.

King Felix
(Burger Cat)

------------------------------

From: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fairy Land (danke, Taser)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:29:29 -0400 (EDT)

>I have privately mailed danke and Taser as regards their game status, if
>they do not reply within three days their location will change to Fairy
Land
>and they will be treated as being on Vacation.
>
>I did not do this for Fox as IIRC, he is no longer a player.
>

Neither of these players has responded so they are appropriately moved and
become vacationing.

King Felix
(speaker)

------------------------------

From: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Fairy Land (danke, Taser)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:34:51 -0400 (EDT)

danke in fact responded. He remains a player. Ignore previous message.

King Felix
(rhymin' and spammin')

------------------------------

From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: OC actions
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:12:20 -0400 (EDT)

At 05:23 PM 7/19/99 -0400, you wrote:
>If my creation of an Otzma Card earlier failed (in one thread split) then I
>create it now (bringing the threads together).
>
>Studge
> 

not quite.  what about the random determination?  Does that need to be done
again?
-- Emperor Ai! Pedrito!
 DeeJay * Dungeon Master * Harfmeister * Rule-Harfer * Wrangler
 Crazy French-Scotsman * Really Weird * Weird

------------------------------

From: Bill Palmer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: blissed into unconsciousness
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:26:53 -0400 (EDT)

If it is possible, I apply a temporary tatto depicting the vast inky
void of space and bearing the text "space cadet" to myself.  I then
spend 6 hours in direct sunlight, inadvertently getting a burn.

Danek

------------------------------

From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: blissed into unconsciousness
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:27:47 -0400 (EDT)

At 06:26 PM 7/19/99 -0400, you wrote:
>If it is possible, I apply a temporary tatto depicting the vast inky
>void of space and bearing the text "space cadet" to myself.  I then
>spend 6 hours in direct sunlight, inadvertently getting a burn.
>
>Danek
> 

Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert
Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert
Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert
Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert
Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert
Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert
Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert
Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert
Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert
Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert
Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert
Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert
Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert
Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert
Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert
Hubert Hubert Hubert Hubert 

-- Emperor Ai! Pedrito!
 DeeJay * Dungeon Master * Harfmeister * Rule-Harfer * Wrangler
 Crazy French-Scotsman * Really Weird * Weird

------------------------------

From: Bill Palmer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: On a tip...
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:38:43 -0400 (EDT)

searched the messages I haven't read (I've been abducted by a foetus)
and located 23 instances of the word hubert.  I know it means something
but I have a hard enough time finding a clean pair of socks lately.

danek

------------------------------

From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: On a tip...
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:42:13 -0400 (EDT)

At 06:38 PM 7/19/99 -0400, you wrote:
>searched the messages I haven't read (I've been abducted by a foetus)
>and located 23 instances of the word hubert.  I know it means something
>but I have a hard enough time finding a clean pair of socks lately.
>
>danek
>

WOOHOO!!!!!!  

Historian, take note.  This is the end of an era.

Scaremonger: if the discovery of T200 is not enough to herald the end of
Acka, I don't know what is.  Go to work.

Poet Laureate: I wish to commission a poem to commemorate this occasion.
How much will you charge?

-- Emperor Ai! Pedrito!
 DeeJay * Dungeon Master * Harfmeister * Rule-Harfer * Wrangler
 Crazy French-Scotsman * Really Weird * Weird

------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Some treasure info
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:47:34 -0400 (EDT)

Some of this is info that a few people already have by asking me specific
questions.

All of it relates to Treasure 253.

a) Everything needed to find the treasure is available in the treasure
   posting itself.  There are no references to anything outside.
b) In fact, each line of the treasure is self-contained.
c) The second clue (which contained a line saying 'Just my luck, these
   sentances couldn't be part of the first clue.') is not pointing out
   some relevance of the firt clue, but that there are some things that
   cannot be encoded under the encoding scheme I used.   The second clue
   is one such thing that cannot be encoded that way.  (if you can figure
   out why this is the case you will be very close to solving the
   treasure).
d) The cypher is a book cypher with each line containing the book, the
   indices, and a checksum which can be used to verify the answer.  The
   checksum is ONLY useful for this verification.

--JT

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Treasure!
From: Joseph DeVincentis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 20:26:53 -0400 (EDT)

Upon some prodding, I have decided on a scheme for determining someone to
find the famed (or infamous?) treasure 227, a treasure containing over
A$7500 of trinkets (and which has the map "This treasure shall be found
by whoever /dev/joe says, whenever he says it has been found" only because
I was under time-pressure to get it buried, and didn't have time to write
ever a proper simple map, and I knew I wanted something really elaborate
and drawn out for such a huge treasure).

The first player to achieve 29 or more points in a series of puzzle
contests I will be posting will find the treasure.  The first such
contest appears below.

In addition, I am burying a treasure containing the Perpetual Trophy.
To find this treasure, you must sign on the dotted line (meaningless,
but if contracts are recreated and a similar contract is created, I
reserve the right to interpret this as applying to that contract), and
in addition, you must not have found more treasures containing the
Perpetual Trophy than any other player who has signed on the dotted
line, and submit a set of 6 or more which I accept in the contest below.

T227 contest I: Every Odd Man Out

Tomorrow night I'm going to go on vacation for a week, to the National
Puzzlers' League convention.  At a past convention, one of the official
events (as opposed to the assorted unofficial board games, card games,
and other games and puzzles which will inevitably occur) was a little
game that worked like this:  Each player is asked to come up with a set
of four words, phrases, etc. for a "which one of these doesn't belong"
puzzle, where there is a valid reason for choosing any of the four names.
They then scored these by having everybody select an odd man out from each
set, and scored each entry as being worth the smallest number of votes
any of the four items received.

One example from the convention was the following:

Stephen King, Ace Frehely, Queen Latifah, The Artist Formerly Known as Prince

Possible reasons for excluding each of these four are:

Stephen King: All the others are musicians
Ace Frehely: All the other names contain royalty
Queen Latifah: All the others are men
TAFKA Prince: All the other names contain a playing card 

An unstated rule here is that all the "exclusion" rules depend on a
common property that three items share but the fourth does not.  It
is possible for this to be relaxed somewhat, as will be shown below,
at the cost of somewhat weakening the set.

Now, it is possible to extend this concept to more than 4 items.
Here is an example with 5 items:

first, fourth, fifth, sixth, filth

first: all the others end in "th"
fourth: all the others are five letters long
fifth: none of the others have a repeated letter
sixth: all the others begin with "f"
filth: all the others are ordinal numbers

Another 5-member set is sew, too, knew, dew, hew.  I'll let you try
and figure out the reasons for this one.  This one seems possibly
extensible to 6 items, but I could not come up with a satisfactory
solution, despite coming up with two other similar sets of 5.

To enter the contest: send me a set of 5 or more words, phrases, names,
places, etc., along with a reason for each one of them being the odd man
out.  If I accept it, you will score one point in the contest for each
item in your list beyond 4; however, only the highest-scoring entry a
player submits in this contest will count.  (Thus, I don't expect anybody
to manage to score more than about 3 points in this contest, and I don't
expect more than one or two people to score more than one point.  However,
you can always keep trying to come up with a longer list.)  Please note
the following rules on what I will and won't accept:

* I won't accept an entry that is significantly similar to a previous
accepted entry, or to one of my examples, or to anything Ed Pegg has
previously posted on his web site www.mathpuzzle.com (where this is a
secondary puzzle this week) unless you're credited with the entry on
his site.

* "Significantly similar" is loosely defined, but a good guideline is
that if a majority of the words and/or reasons are the same, it's
probably too close, except that if you use more terms than the previous
entry, I'll not disqualify it on these grounds.  Thus, if you can add a
fifth entry to one of the sets of four posted on www.mathpuzzle.com now,
you may have a good entry.  My "first, fourth, ..." above is an extension
of one of those, and "sew, too, ..." is a small variation and extension
of one of those.

* Each oddball-reason which is not based on a common property that the
other four items have is a mark against an entry; an entry with two
such reasons should be otherwise very remarkable.

* I will not accept an entry of n items from you if I have already
accepted an entry of n or more items from you.

* I will post accepted entries publicly.  I will inform you privately if
I reject an entry, along with a reason.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Acka: On a tip...
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:12:30 -0400 (EDT)

> At 06:38 PM 7/19/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >searched the messages I haven't read (I've been abducted by a foetus)
> >and located 23 instances of the word hubert.  I know it means something
> >but I have a hard enough time finding a clean pair of socks lately.

> WOOHOO!!!!!!  

> Historian, take note.  This is the end of an era.

> Scaremonger: if the discovery of T200 is not enough to herald the end of
> Acka, I don't know what is.  Go to work.

Well, as the burier of Treasure 200(even if K2 has been keeping track
of it better than I), I'm going to out on a limb and announce that,
as far as I can tell, Sir Galahad has found the Exquisite Dead Guy,
pending confirmation by K2.

The map was something like "When there is only one active player who has
not, since the burial of this treasure, posted the word 'Hubert'
(capitalization optional)in a public forum, including quoted text but
not including documents required to be posted by Officers, then that
player shall find this Treasure."

Almost exactly seventeen months.  And it probably only happened now
because the rate of new player acquisition is pretty low.  :-)

--
--Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Blue Oyster Cult:Godzilla
Current Book--Michelle West:The Broken Crown
I went to the Missing Persons' Bureau.  No one was there.

------------------------------

From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  Acka: Educational Hearing
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 23:09:31 -0400 (EDT)

I vote:

 Students who THINK?  What will they come up with next...

Vynd

------------------------------

End of ackanomic Digest V4 #192
*******************************