Subject: ackanomic Digest V4 #151
From: [email-masked]
To: ackanomic digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 00:00 EDT

ackanomic Digest	Wednesday, June 09 1999	Volume: 04  Issue: 151

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Name Change, Trinket Creation, Treasure, etc.
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 01:06:37 -0400 (EDT)

I change my name to the following '-delimited string:

'Organization'

As I am now Organization, all of my actions are Organizational actions,
that is, actions pertaining to or stemming from Organization.

I create 3 trinkets, worth A$1 each, named Organization's Member #1,
Organization's Member #2, and Organization's Member #3.  Their descriptions
are:
#1) E is a miserly curmudgeon who always votes no.
#2) E is an anarchist who votes yes on game-breakers.
#3) E is a newbie who doesn't know how to vote.

I create ten trinkets worth A$5 each, with the following names and
"-delimited descriptions:

#1) Weishaupt's Suit Pants "They are Black"
#2) Anathema's Vest "It is Grey"
#3) A Mean Hat.'s Starched Shirt "It is White"
#4) the words on the wind's Dress Shoes "They are Shiny"
#5) Pol Pot's Black Socks "They are Mismatched"
#6) I set my Rebelliousness to ON's Belt "It is Leather"
#7) Rock of Gibraltar's Knit Boxer Briefs "They are Comfortable"
#8) Trent's Cravat "It is Blue, and Silk"
#9) T. T. Ren's Bowler Hat "It looks Quite Good"
#10) Organization's Watch and Glasses "They are Optional"

I define my size to be 10 (I can do this because player size is not
regulated.)

NOW...

I pay A$10 to take control of the Little Lamb (as an Organizational action)

I chew the gumball (as an Organizational action)

All of my members (#1, #2, and #3) have voted the same on (10-size = 0)
proposals.

I recite the following poem (as an Organizational action):

Deduce both the values for me,
If Fourteen's about a + b
plus (one twelfth b)'s arcsine
plus an eighth (five plus nine)
minus a to the point ninety three.

I Dance on the Steps of Town Hall (as an Organizational action)

I bury Weishaupt's Suit Pants, Anathema's Vest, A Mean Hat.'s Starched
Shirt, the words on the wind's Dress Shoes, Pol Pot's Black Socks, I set my
Rebelliousness to ON's Belt, Rock of Gibraltar's Knit Boxer Briefs, Trent's
Cravat, T. T. Ren's Bowler Hat, and Organization's Watch and Glasses (Total
Value A$50) as a treasure. (as an Organizational action).  I reveal the
following clue to its map:

There are nineteen clues to the map to this treasure.  You need not have
all nineteen to find the treasure.  One clue alone will probably be fairly
useless.  Each clue corresponds to one of the following puzzles or tasks.
If you complete one of the puzzles or tasks, tell me that you want the clue
and I will give it to you.  I will give any given person no more than one
clue per day.  Also, teaming up is discouraged because the treasure is so
small, and fairly easy.  Following are the puzzles/tasks:

NOTE: Some of the puzzles are old chestnuts.  Do not be disappointed if
they fail to challenge.

1) Pass a Grandiose Proposal
2) There may be none in 3, but there's 4 in 5, 9 in 6, and 1 in 8
Pick any number higher than 10 that has some.  How many does it have? 
3) Win a Sub-Game with 5 or more players
4) Give me a message of 20 or more letters that makes grammatical sense in
English and is also a simple substitution cipher for something that spells
words in English.  No letters may represent themselves. (No fair using
computer programs or the internet)
5) Found an Institution
6) 20-7 39-8-92 98-60-68-16-73-60?
7) Mentor a Newbie
8) What is the solution to the final puzzle in Dennis Shasha's book The
Puzzling Adventures of Dr. Ecco?
9) Win Two Duels
10) 4xMATHLOG)MATH4SIN04^SIN0/SINLNLNMATHTANSIN
11) Grab a Donkey
12) Answer the limerick earlier in this post.  I have a particular answer
in mind.
13) Use an Otzma Card Go Fish
14) Write a Thesis that fails
15) Receive a Blue Cross, Silver Stripe, Gold Stripe, or Ruby Slipper
16) Go to Gaol for a Crime
17) Find a Treasure 
18) A man is pushing a car.  He pushes it a long ways, pauses for a moment
in front of a fancy hotel, wipes his brow in relief, and pushes the car on
and around the corner.  What is going on? 
19) Win an Election

I go to the Library, where I play 'Be True to Your School' by the Beach
Boys (as an Organizational action)

I cough politely to indicate that I think I've found a treasure.

-- Organization
DeeJay

------------------------------

Subject: Acka: ACKA
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 01:22:18 -0400 (EDT)

I hereby announce my intention to pseudofound an Institution, called
"All Canadians're Kind & Amiable", or ACKA for short.  (It may or may
not become a Sphere of Influence; state your preferences if you wish
to join.)

--
--Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--George Michael:I Want Your Sex
Current Book--Stephen King:It
We've got a goldmine here, so let's milk it for all it's worth.

------------------------------

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Name Change, Trinket Creation, Treasure, etc.
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 01:28:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:

> I change my name to the following '-delimited string:
> 
> 'Organization'
> 
> As I am now Organization, all of my actions are Organizational actions,
> that is, actions pertaining to or stemming from Organization.

You ain't organization till I say you is.  And I ain't done that,  pardner.  
And I think I shall have to go look at the rules, the horror, the horro, to see if I needs ack this or no.

ru "I smell SCAM" us

> I cough politely to indicate that I think I've found a treasure.

Not if these things had to be done by an org, you didn't.

------------------------------

From: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe (rufus)
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 13:55:50 -0400 (EDT)

rufus has found Phoebe's matchbox.

King Felix
(OiCoRT)

------------------------------

From: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Phoebe (Euphrates)
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 13:55:52 -0400 (EDT)

>Hmm... Now how did it get there?
>Not that it's that that important, maybe I was drunk at the time.
>Anyway to business.
>A very strange thing happened when I found Phoebe's matchbox. No
>sooner had I opened the box when I heard a quiet, high pitched
>voice, begin talking to me. "Canadians", it said, "are of great interest
>in Ackanomic just now." I was understandably intrigued to find out
>what Phoebe's opinion on this topic was. "Even more Canadians than
>you realise are currently subverting the world. Nothing, it would >appear,
can stop their quest for global domination."
>"True enough", I replied, "but surely everything is not always as it
appears."
>"Indeed", came the wise reply. "Undercover agents, such as the
>supposedly British tennis player, Greg Rusedski, move among us all."
>My God! Fear in its purest form was now coursing through my veins.
>Ottowa could have agents even here in Ackanomic. Rufus, Laa Laa,
>Blest Lax Monk Pal - any of them could be undercover Canadians.
>Yesterday I felt safe in Ackanomic, but no longer. Ordinary lives
>have been disrupted. Unrest dominates our diplomatic relations.
>"What should we do?" I asked Phoebe.
>"Whatever you do", she said, "don't hurt Leonard Cohen."
>
>Euphrates

I note for the public record that this wisdom qualified Euphrates for a
nose-sack of Ancientium.

King Felix
(harf the harfers)

------------------------------

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Name Change, Trinket Creation, Treasure, etc.
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 14:40:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:

> I change my name to the following '-delimited string:
> 
> 'Organization'
> 
> As I am now Organization, all of my actions are Organizational actions,

No, you aren't.  I object to this name change.  I think Malenki's Loophole has been beaten to death, is uninteresting, unharfy, and thus not within the spirt of the game.  

rufus, Registrar, curmudgen.

------------------------------

From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Phoebe (Euphrates)
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 14:46:23 -0400 (EDT)

At 01:55 PM 6/9/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>Hmm... Now how did it get there?
>>Not that it's that that important, maybe I was drunk at the time.
>>Anyway to business.
>>A very strange thing happened when I found Phoebe's matchbox. No
>>sooner had I opened the box when I heard a quiet, high pitched
>>voice, begin talking to me. "Canadians", it said, "are of great interest
>>in Ackanomic just now." I was understandably intrigued to find out
>>what Phoebe's opinion on this topic was. "Even more Canadians than
>>you realise are currently subverting the world. Nothing, it would >appear,
>can stop their quest for global domination."
>>"True enough", I replied, "but surely everything is not always as it
>appears."
>>"Indeed", came the wise reply. "Undercover agents, such as the
>>supposedly British tennis player, Greg Rusedski, move among us all."
>>My God! Fear in its purest form was now coursing through my veins.
>>Ottowa could have agents even here in Ackanomic. Rufus, Laa Laa,
>>Blest Lax Monk Pal - any of them could be undercover Canadians.
>>Yesterday I felt safe in Ackanomic, but no longer. Ordinary lives
>>have been disrupted. Unrest dominates our diplomatic relations.
>>"What should we do?" I asked Phoebe.
>>"Whatever you do", she said, "don't hurt Leonard Cohen."
>>
>>Euphrates
>
>I note for the public record that this wisdom qualified Euphrates for a
>nose-sack of Ancientium.
>

I note for the public record that Studge's most recent wisdom did so for
Studge.
-- Organization
DeeJay

------------------------------

From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Name Change, Trinket Creation, Treasure, etc.
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 14:53:45 -0400 (EDT)

At 02:40 PM 6/9/99 -0400, you wrote:
>On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:
>
>> I change my name to the following '-delimited string:
>> 
>> 'Organization'
>> 
>> As I am now Organization, all of my actions are Organizational actions,
>
>No, you aren't.  I object to this name change.  I think Malenki's Loophole 
>has been beaten to death, is uninteresting, unharfy, and thus not within the 
>spirt of the game.  
>
>

OK, rufus.  You explain to me how that treasure will ever be found.  The
only organizations still defined are Vulcan and the Commission d'Arts.
Vulcan's members tried to find it a long long time ago, but there was not
enough interest.  I doubt sincerely that the Commission D'arts is gonna do
it.  Not only that, but there's a repeal in the works for half the things
you gotta do to get the treasure.  I spent A$25 on a name change, A$50 on
the treasure I buried, and A$10 on the Little Lamb... for an A$75 treasure.
 I was not doing it to advance myself, but rather to throw a fun twist on a
treasure that otherwise would have been dead, dead, dead.  If you wish to
deny me my name change, that's perfectly fine.  But I would appreciate it
if you had some respect for my attempt, given the circumstances.  At least
(in my opinion) there was no call for insulting the name change.  A simple
'Malenkai's Loophole is not within the spirit of the game' would have been
QUITE sufficient, without the negative modifiers you saw fit to add.

Yours,

-- T. T. Ren
DeeJay

------------------------------

From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Speaker (King Felix)
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 16:34:55 -0400 (EDT)

At 03:17 PM 5/31/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm now definitely Speaker. IdiotBoy conducted a nomination and got only me
>and I conducted a nomination as Count Tabula and got only me. That seems
>clear enough then.
>
>King Felix
> 

I would like to point out that r-attila the farce seems to be off in fairy
land.  
-- T. T. Ren
DeeJay * Harfmeister * Wrangler

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 4193
From: Joseph DeVincentis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 18:42:47 -0400 (EDT)

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Proposal 4193
> Power to the people
> K 2
> Due: Wed Jun 16 03:52:30 1999
> Sphere: Hypnotist of Ladies

This proposal was word-for-word identical to 4192, so is removed
from consideration automatically.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: MTG*: *ping*
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 20:27:36 -0400 (EDT)

Today is Wednesday, the 9th day of June, and the Machine That Goes *ping*
Has Gone *ping* today. Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone
*ping* 5 times.

CnH

------------------------------

End of ackanomic Digest V4 #151
*******************************