Subject: ackanomic Digest V4 #120
From: [email-masked]
To: ackanomic digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 00:00 EDT

ackanomic Digest	Wednesday, May 05 1999	Volume: 04  Issue: 120

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: OT: Junk Mail.
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 12:03:00 -0400 (EDT)

I was offered a Platinum VIsa today.. which, of course happens with
regularity.  I'm always curious how they get my name and address.  I think
I know this time.  It was addressed to:

Matt Miller
Acka Nomic
3481 Office Park Dr.
Suite 50
Kettering, OH 45439

Hehe-
IB

------------------------------

From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: OT: Junk Mail.
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 12:05:30 -0400 (EDT)

The Ackanomic Visa:  It's everywhere you want to be.

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Matt Miller [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Wednesday, May 05, 1999 11:03 AM
> To:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	Acka: OT: Junk Mail.
> 
> I was offered a Platinum VIsa today.. which, of course happens with
> regularity.  I'm always curious how they get my name and address.  I think
> I know this time.  It was addressed to:
> 
> Matt Miller
> Acka Nomic
> 3481 Office Park Dr.
> Suite 50
> Kettering, OH 45439
> 
> Hehe-
> IB
> 
> 

------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: OT: Junk Mail.
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 12:07:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Matt Miller wrote:
> I was offered a Platinum VIsa today.. which, of course happens with
> regularity.  I'm always curious how they get my name and address.  I think
> I know this time.  It was addressed to:
> 
> Matt Miller
> Acka Nomic
> 3481 Office Park Dr.
> Suite 50
> Kettering, OH 45439

Now *that* is fun. Gotta love people mining the whois database.

--JT

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: OT: Junk Mail.
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 12:14:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 5 May 1999, AARON KEESLER wrote:

:The Ackanomic Visa:  It's everywhere you want to be.

The nomic Visa:  Where your cardholder agreement changes whenever we want it
to.

In another credit card company mailing stupidity, one day last week I got 
two letters from one of my credit card companies.  The first was I should 
upgrade to the gold card, for only $<BIGNUM> a year.  The second was "send 
us money, or we go after your kneecaps".  It is a card that my employer 
provides, and pays the bills for.  I had screwed up a voucher, and they 
underpaid by $23, four months ago.  With late fees and interest, they now 
expect $138.

rufus

------------------------------

From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Outgoing
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 18:34:23 -0400 (EDT)

	Having more or less given up on Ackanomic, I plan to leave shortly.
First though, I'm stepping down from some positions.  I intend first to
resign from the positions of Speaker, Clerk of the Courts, and Evil Math
Troll.  Reply to nominate yourself.

--
-Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Thank heavens, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and
enjoy it.
		-Logan Pearsall Smith

------------------------------

From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 20:37:13 -0400 (EDT)

#sphere tocpe
#submit proposal Time to Cash in Our Chips
Destroy everything except the players.
Replace the rules with the following TAKETWO-delimited text
TAKETWO
Immutable Rules

       101. All players must always abide by all the rules then in effect,
in the form in which they are then in effect. The rules in the Initial Set
are in effect whenever a game begins. The Initial Set consists of Rules
101-116 (immutable) and 201-213 (mutable).

       102. Initially rules in the 100's are immutable and rules in the
200's are mutable. Rules subsequently enacted or transmuted (that is,
changed from immutable to mutable or vice versa) may be immutable or
mutable regardless of their numbers, and rules in the Initial Set may be
transmuted regardless of their numbers.

       103. A rule-change is any of the following: (1) the enactment,
repeal, or amendment of a mutable rule; or (2) the transmutation of an
immutable rule into a mutable rule or vice versa.

       (Note: This definition implies that, at least initially, all new
rules are mutable; immutable rules, as long as they are immutable, may not
be amended or repealed; mutable rules, as long as they are mutable, may be
amended or repealed; any rule of any status may be transmuted; no rule is
absolutely immune to change.)

       104. All rule-changes proposed in the proper way shall be voted on.
They will be adopted if and only if they receive the required number of
votes.

       105. Every player is an eligible voter.

       106. All proposed rule-changes shall be written down before they are
voted on. If they are adopted, they shall guide play in the form in which
they were voted on.

       107. No rule-change may take effect earlier than the moment of the
completion of the vote that adopted it, even if its wording explicitly
states otherwise. No rule-change may have retroactive application.

       108. Each proposed rule-change shall be given a number for
reference. The numbers shall begin with 301, and each rule-change proposed
in the proper way shall receive the next successive integer, whether or not
the proposal is adopted.

       If a rule is repealed and reenacted, it receives the number of the
proposal to reenact it. If a rule is amended or transmuted, it receives the
number of the proposal to amend or transmute it. If an amendment is amended
or repealed, the entire rule of which it is a part receives the number of
the proposal to amend or repeal the amendment.

       109. Rule-changes that transmute immutable rules into mutable rules
may be adopted if and only if the vote is unanimous among the eligible
voters. Transmutation shall not be implied, but must be stated explicitly
in a proposal to take effect.

       110. In a conflict between a mutable and an immutable rule, the
immutable rule takes precedence and the mutable rule shall be entirely
void. For the purposes of this rule a proposal to transmute an immutable
rule does not "conflict" with that immutable rule.

       111. If a rule-change as proposed is unclear, ambiguous,
paradoxical, or destructive of play, or if it arguably consists of two or
more rule-changes compounded or is an amendment that makes no difference,
or if it is otherwise of questionable value, then the other players may
suggest amendments or argue against the proposal before the vote. A
reasonable time must be allowed for this debate. The proponent decides the
final form in which the proposal is to be voted on and, unless the Judge
has been asked to do so, also decides the time to end debate and vote.

       112. The state of affairs that constitutes winning may not be
altered from achieving n points to any other state of affairs. The
magnitude of n and the means of earning points may be changed, and rules
that establish a winner when play cannot continue may be enacted and (while
they are mutable) be amended or repealed.

       113. A player always has the option to forfeit the game rather than
continue to play or incur a game penalty. No penalty worse than losing, in
the judgment of the player to incur it, may be imposed.

       114. There must always be at least one mutable rule. The adoption of
rule-changes must never become completely impermissible.

       115. Rule-changes that affect rules needed to allow or apply
rule-changes are as permissible as other rule-changes. Even rule-changes
that amend or repeal their own authority are permissible. No rule-change or
type of move is impermissible solely on account of the self-reference or
self-application of a rule.

       116. Whatever is not prohibited or regulated by a rule is permitted
and unregulated, with the sole exception of changing the rules, which is
permitted only when a rule or set of rules explicitly or implicitly permits
it.

Mutable Rules

       201. A player may make a proposal at any time by informing the other
players of it.

       202. Players vote by informing the other players of their vote, and
may vote for or against.

       203. A rule-change is adopted after one week if and only if
two-thirds of the votes cast are in favor, otherwise it fails. If this rule
is not amended by the end of the second complete circuit of turns, it
automatically changes to require only a simple majority.

       204. The players who vote against winning proposals shall receive 10
points each.

       205. An adopted rule-change takes full effect at the moment of the
completion of the vote that adopted it.

       206. When a proposed rule-change is defeated, the player who
proposed it loses 10 points.

       207. Each player always has exactly one vote.

       208. The winner is the first player to achieve 200 (positive) points.

       209. At no time may there be more than 25 mutable rules.

       210. If two or more mutable rules conflict with one another, or if
two or more immutable rules conflict with one another, then the rule with
the lowest ordinal number takes precedence.

       If at least one of the rules in conflict explicitly says of itself
that it defers to another rule (or type of rule) or takes precedence over
another rule (or type of rule), then such provisions shall supersede the
numerical method for determining precedence.

       If two or more rules claim to take precedence over one another or to
defer to one another, then the numerical method again governs.

       211. If players disagree about the legality of a move or the
interpretation or application of a rule, then the player who made the most
recent proposal other than the player raising the dispute is to be the
Judge and decide the question. Disagreement for the purposes of this rule
may be created by the insistence of any player. This process is called
invoking Judgment.

       When Judgment has been invoked, the next player may not begin his or
her turn without the consent of a majority of the other players.

       The Judge's Judgment may be overruled only by a unanimous vote of
the other players. If a Judge's Judgment is overruled, then the player
preceding the Judge in the playing order becomes the new Judge for the
question, and so on, except that no player is to be Judge during his or her
own turn or during the turn of a team-mate.

       Unless a Judge is overruled, one Judge settles all questions arising
from the game for one week, including questions as to his or her own
legitimacy and jurisdiction as Judge.

       New Judges are not bound by the decisions of old Judges. New Judges
may, however, settle only those questions on which the players currently
disagree and that affect the completion of the turn in which Judgment was
invoked. All decisions by Judges shall be in accordance with all the rules
then in effect; but when the rules are silent, inconsistent, or unclear on
the point at issue, then the Judge shall consider game-custom and the
spirit of the game before applying other standards.
#end proposal
#silent
#end

--
-Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Thank heavens, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and
enjoy it.
		-Logan Pearsall Smith

------------------------------

End of ackanomic Digest V4 #120
*******************************