Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #422
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Sunday, November 22 1998       Volume 03 : Number 422

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 23:29:19 -0800 (PST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: AWOL (saaremaa)

Pol Pot has pointed out that saaremaa has gone AWOL.
I have sent him the standard AWOL message.

--JT, Speaker

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

From: "Bryan Federico" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Resignations
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 23:30:09 PST

Well if absoultely no one else offers ill be the wrangler

R-Attila The Farce(thinking he might regret this
(:|Worker|General Contractor|Daring Adventurer|:)

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 02:23:39 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Sorry!

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Micah Smukler wrote:
>I probably should have sent this message a long time ago, but...
>
>If I am on Vacation, or in any state which was formerly known as
>being on Vacation, I cause myself to leave that state.
>
>If I am a Player of Ackanomic, I cause myself to leave the Game
>of Ackanomic.

Since Aunt Froot was already on Ice (from the AWOL message), this causes
no change other than to have him unsubscribed from the mailing list.
I do not believe that it resets the counter of when he went on ice.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 03:05:10 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Office nominations

I am hereby beginning nominations for the following 4 offices.

Treasure-Harfer
Org-Harfer
Financier
Scorekeeper

Please reply to me to nominate yourself and please specify clearly which
office or offices you are nominating for.

- --JT, President

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:44:50 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Puzzle Piece

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:

> At 09:06 PM 11/21/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
> >
> >> 
> >> After having finally perused an updated copy of the Ruleset, and consulted
> >> the Thrallmaster, I have decided to act.
> >> 
> >> Thus, I hereby specify the player "breadbox", who is in Thrall to me, to
> >> create, through eir indentured labour, a "harf lozenge" Puzzle Piece.  I
> >> can find no reason why this should not succeed.
> >
> >As Puzzler, I am naming the following Bag:
> >
> >Harf Lozenge, Blue Square, Red Round.
> >
> 
> Fails.  You need 4 pieces for a Grab Bag.

I dunno.  I try to make it easy on people :-)

Harf Lozenge, Blue Square, Blue Lozenge, Red Round.

- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 06:48:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Museum Scams.

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, JT wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Duncan C. "Slakko" Richer wrote:
> 
> Because that is a manipulation of an entity not explicitly allowed in the
> rules?  In your reading, the rule then conflicts with the rule on entity
> manipulations (and granted has the precedence to resolve it if it does
> conflict) but the non-conflicting reading is equally (imho) viable and
> thus should be preferred.

I must disagree with your last statement.  As far as I was aware,
the only point of implicit game custom Acka has in these "two equally
valid meanings" questions is that the less paradoxical one should hold
sway.  Simply conflicting with a higher numbered rule should not be held
against one particular interpretation.

- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 07:02:30 -0500 (EST)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3752

I retract 3752.  JT's fix is vastly superior.

- --Pol Pot

Possible Butthead -- Crazy French Scotsman -- Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon
Master  --  Really Weird --  Rule-Harfer -- Religious Caste -- Trying hard
not to be annoying

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 11:23:00 -0800 (PST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Org Stuff

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, K 2 wrote:
[reasonable interpretation of senator and senate vs grey council deleted]

The above makes sense.

>As a result Slakko and smallpox blanket retain eir senator seats and
>/dev/joe and Vynd get a randomly determined senator seat
>(either /dev/senate3 or Sinecure 33)

It was slakko and studge who retained their senator seats I believe, and
if this was the case then they were in contempt/fined for the commision
d'arts.

/dev/joe got seat Sinecure33 and Vynd got seat /dev/senate3 by random
determination.

>17 Nov 1998 21:33:33 two-star attempts to join the AVPP - it has an open
>membership policy. Action succeeds.

You missed something around here.  Two-star also asked to join JAM which
had a quasi-single player style.  Therefore he joined after 3 days.

>20 Nov 1998 19:46:43 two-star attempted to change JAM's membership
>policy - e wasn't a member so it fails.

It had been 3 days since he applied, so he was, and it did I'm afraid.

His join message was at Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 21:15:46 -0500 (EST)
in digest ackanomic.v03.n414

His attempt to change church policy was at Fri, 20 Nov 1998 21:46:43 -0500
so it did succeed in being changed to priveledged single player.

>21 Nov 1998 20:09:17 Gromit accepts JT into the boomerangs. Suggests and
>approves The green Ripper's admittance (1/2)

I approve of the suggestion to allow The Green Ripper admittance.  It
happens.

--JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1992 06:37:52 +1100
From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Voting

I change my state to voting.

K 2

------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Voting
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 14:38:12 EST

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, K 2 wrote:
>I change my state to voting.

Welcome back to the land of the living (or at least voting)

--JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 14:35:38 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Loan

I give K2 A$35

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Thank heavens, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and
enjoy it.
		-Logan Pearsall Smith

------------------------------
i
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: A reminder
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 14:46:53 -0500 (EST)

Assuming no late objections, the new lists will become official tomorrow
morning at 11:08 Acka time.

--JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Acting Offices
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 15:53:20 -0500 (EST)

Since K 2 has now returned to voting status, I hereby make him
Acting Scorekeeper, and reassign Acting Financier from Pol Pot to K 2
(with apologies to Pol Pot).  Acting Treasure Harfer and Acting Org Harfer
are both optional, and K 2 said privately to me that he didn't want them
in an acting capacity.

--JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: K 2's elderhood
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 15:58:19 -0500 (EST)

K 2's confirmation period for elderhood ended at Sun Nov 22, 03:12 -0500.
At that time he had not yet rejoined the game as a voting player.
He however did not recieve the requisite number of confirmation points
to become an elder.

--JT, who realized he still needed to report on this since K 2 hadn't
returned before the confirmation period was over.

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 18:14:49 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Loan

I give else...if A$25.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 21:45:53 -0500 (EST)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: GAD

I'd like to note that Fortunato must explicitly transfer the reins (as it
were) as Wrangler to another player at the _beginning_ of a round.  So, at
least for this round, E is still wrangler.

- --Pol Pot

Possible Butthead -- Crazy French Scotsman -- Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon
Master  --  Really Weird --  Rule-Harfer -- Religious Caste -- Trying hard
not to be annoying

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #422
*******************************