Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #419
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Friday, November 20 1998       Volume 03 : Number 419

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:28:31 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: New lists

Okay folks, I finally have the new lists up and working at ackanomic.org.
(Thank you again IB for allowing me to host them there)

I will be subscribing people to the new lists shortly, and then tomorrow I
will be unsubscribing people from the old lists at muppetlabs.

People who were recieving the digest of the list(s) before will continue
to recieve digested versions.

If you notice any problems with the lists, please contact me privately.
Once people are subscribed I will send mail to each of the new lists.  If
you get mail from a list you aren't supposed to be on, let me know.
If you don't get mail from a list you think you should, please ALSO let me
know.

Until I send a message through the lists, please don't assume they are
valid :)

The lists are

[email-masked]
[email-masked] (same, but with reply-to back to the submitter)
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

These mailing lists are being run under the Listar mailing list management
software written by myself and Jeremy Blackman.  More information about
Listar can be found from http://www.nausicaa.net/~listar/
If you have any questions about how to get things set up to your tastes,
please feel free to ask me.
By default, everyone who is subscribe to the current acka-games lists will
be subscribed to the acka-games and acka-duels list.   you should be able
to unsubscribe yourself after that if you don't wish to be on it.

- --JT (off to subscribe people to various lists)

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:55:57 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: one more time

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, JT wrote:
>At Fri, 13 Nov 1998 01:53:13 -0500 (EST)  the following steps occured.
>
>a) Anarchy became the Active Governement.
>b) All rebelliousness characteristics were set to 'off'
>c) There are only two governement types left, Anarchy and Democracy.
>   Anarchy isn't allowed, and so the Proto-Governement is Democracy.
>d) At Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:53, Democracy will once again rule Acka.
>e) At that time the revolution will end.
>

The revolution is now over.   Welcome back to democracy!

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 02:04:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Mueller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: one more time

JT wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, JT wrote:
>>At Fri, 13 Nov 1998 01:53:13 -0500 (EST)  the following steps occured.
>>
>>a) Anarchy became the Active Governement.
>>b) All rebelliousness characteristics were set to 'off'
>>c) There are only two governement types left, Anarchy and Democracy.
>>   Anarchy isn't allowed, and so the Proto-Governement is Democracy.
>>d) At Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:53, Democracy will once again rule Acka.
>>e) At that time the revolution will end.
>>
>
>The revolution is now over.   Welcome back to democracy!

I go to the right place planning on destroying the ASS with a non-entity
sledge hammer... but it looks so innocent I can't bring myself to put it
out of its misery.

Instead I play Revolution #9 by The Beatles

I set my rebel thingy to on.

Thomas Jute

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 02:11:08 -0500 (EST)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Lemme back in

I apply for membership in the Razor Boomerangs.

I offer Gromit Bill's and Goldie's Razor Boomerangs as a bribe.

- -The Green Ripper

You're so vain, I bet you think this tagline's about you. 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 02:13:29 -0500 (EST)
From: "Bryan Federico" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: K2 

I nominate/support K2 (in all his glory) for the hall of the elders

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 02:42:49 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Silver Moon

At 5:15 Thursday morning, the three-day "Speed" limit at the end of the
seven-day period for the Commission d'Arts to post a Silver Moon report
passed.

   The Senators shall be the Commissioners, thus composing this body.

   2) The Commission (as represented by one of its members) shall
   publically post a report listing 4 Silver Moon Nominees, which the
   Commission decided on using the standard procedures for Senatorial
   decision making.

Slakko posted a proposed report, for Studge/Mao/Jute to approve,
but I don't believe he ever did so.  I believe the report was approved 
by default when the senate ceased to have any members, but this also
resulted in the impossibility of a member posting the report.

   4) If the Commission fails to produce a report in accordance with this
   rule, then all the Commissioners who did not vote in favor of any
   proposed report are placed in Contempt. All other Commissioners are
   fined 2 points.

All the zero commissioners who failed to vote in favor of any proposed
report are placed in contempt, and all the zero other commissioners are
fined 2 points.
   
   5) Upon the issuance of the report, a Hearing is called. 

Since there was no report, no hearing is called.

/dev/joe
Former Senator

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 05:14:30 -0500 (EST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Swingerships, Parties, Churches and Priests

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> 
> I think I have a different interpretation of that sentence that either of you.
> 
> I read "The Senators are collectively a Unique Organization known as the
> Senate" as making the Senators and the Senate one and the same.  Thus, the
> interpretation that the senators lost their seats by being removed from the
> Senate organization by P3724.  
> 
> Similarly, and perhaps more clearly, "The Grey Council is an Office with
> up to nine seats. It is also a Unique Organization."  If the Grey Council
> is both an Office and an Organization, then removal of members of the Grey
> Council (as an organization) must also remove them from their seats in the
> office, since there is clearly only one thing, the Grey Council, here.
> 
> /dev/joe

I think this is a reasonable interpretation, and less paradoxical than the
one I first posted. I'd go with this.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 05:15:23 -0500 (EST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: go back to not voting

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, JT wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
> >I think that the Grey Council should become the body that the Senate was
> >supposed to be.  Hand all the Senate's powers over to the Grey Council
> >(which, being a larger body, should be less scam-prone) and then give it
> >some new ones.  The Senate is too small an org to have any decent powers,
> >and should be repealed, but the Grey Council can gain those powers.
> >
> >For example, the ability to veto a Proposal by a 7/9 or greater majority
> >(7/9 or greater to ensure someone from each caste is in favour).
> 
> I'd be in favor of that.  However, I'd suggest that the commision of arts
> be kept with a smaller group, my suggestion to Pol Pot was
> Historian, Poet Laureate, President, and two active players chosen at
> random, with those two players being ones not already on the commission.

Like a semi Ad-Hoc Committee, I like that.
Niccolo Flychuck

> 
> - --JT
> 
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> [ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
> [ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 08:49:56 -0500 (EST)
From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Taking a Deep Breath.

Okay everyone. Take a deep breath.
Repeat after me - "Its only a game"

After 24hs of that I feel much better - At least if you assume I usually
feel dizzy and have a rather hoarse voice.... The talking to myself
thing got a few strange looks as well.

Apologies for the abrupt interruption to service. I had advocated this
as a means for Wild Card to nullify eir debt.... but when I got ...
cross... I decided it would be a good way to go out with a bang.
Needless to say I couldn't cope with the withdrawal symptoms.

If a player named K 2 is on ice, I change my state to voting, tho I
don't see any particular reason why that should be so.

Otherwise I inform the registrar that my real name is Kelly Kelly, that
I wish to play under the pseudonym of K 2 and will be operating from
[email-masked].

The pe etc pages are up to date again - tho I'm still waiting for some
of the digests to appear on muppetlab's ftp.

K 2

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 09:39:18 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Taking a Deep Breath.

>Okay everyone. Take a deep breath.
>Repeat after me - "Its only a game"

"It's only a game".

>If a player named K 2 is on ice, I change my state to voting, tho I
>don't see any particular reason why that should be so.

>Otherwise I inform the registrar that my real name is Kelly Kelly, that
>I wish to play under the pseudonym of K 2 and will be operating from
>[email-masked].

Welcome back, fair mountain, to the game of Ackanomic!  I'm glad I don't
have to become Scorekeeper again or anything.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page:http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/)
Song In My Head--Massive Attack:Sly
Current Book--Ann Marston:Cloudbearer's Shadow
By the Holy Claws of Klortho the Magnificent, this IS a fine morning!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:13:04 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3754

> Proposal 3754
> Anti-Museum Win
> Slakko
> Due: Fri Nov 27 03:16:55 1998
> 
> This is a Modest Proposal.
> 
> [Note the hyphen in the title, and exactly where it goes.]

I am declaring this proposal Harfy.

/dev/joe
Harfmeister

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:24:13 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Prez (JT)

JT was re-elected by a landslide.  We await with bated breath your grand
proposals, new mandates, and horrific scams that will no doubt issue
from your office :)

Votes:

JT - 
/dev/joe
Pol Pot & EBS
JT & EBS & EBS
IdiotBoy
Robin Hood
smallpox blanket & EBS
else..if
Blarney
Thomas Jute
r-Atilla the Farce

IdiotBoy - 
ThinMan & EBS
sIRE & EBS
Niccolo Flychuck
Wallace

Ethelred - 

Wild Card - 
Slakko & EBSVynd & EBS
Wild Card

Gromit - 
Gromit

Wallace

- ------------------
Aaron Keesler
Lotus Notes Administrator
Intranet Administrator
Adtran, Inc.
- ------------------
"And now... Number one:  The Larch."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:44:13 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: Taking a Deep Breath.

Welcome back, K 2.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:51:57 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Taking a Deep Breath.

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, K 2 wrote:
>Repeat after me - "Its only a game"

It certainly is only a game.

>If a player named K 2 is on ice, I change my state to voting, tho I
>don't see any particular reason why that should be so.

See lots of recent discussions.

>Otherwise I inform the registrar that my real name is Kelly Kelly, that
>I wish to play under the pseudonym of K 2 and will be operating from
>[email-masked].

It has been less than 3 days regardless since you attempted whatever
occured.  Therefore, either you went on Ice and cannot become voting
yet, or you became a non-player and cannot become voting yet.

>The pe etc pages are up to date again - tho I'm still waiting for some
>of the digests to appear on muppetlab's ftp.

How nice.  I'm sure Acting Financier Pol Pot will appreciate the
up-to-date information.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 11:08:55 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CSR 164

I am issuing, in my capacity of postmaster, the following CSR numbered 164
which consists entirely of changes to the Postal Code.  The CSR is
delimited by POSTAL

POSTAL
Replace the current Postal Code with the text delimited by CODE below
CODE
   All addresses below which end in @ should be treated as having
   "ackanomic.org" appended to them.
   
   ackanomic@ is the official mailing list. It is an unrestricted public
   forum [but if a message would be more appropriate on a different
   mailing list, players are encouraged to use that one instead].
   
   acka-voting@ is the official voting mailing list. It is a public forum
   meant for game actions involving proposals. [Thus the Promoter and
   Tabulator would send most of the messages on this list, but it is also
   appropriate for other voting player actions (such as retracting a
   proposal).]
    
   acka-research@ is a public forum meant for discussion only. Messages
   sent to this list may not contain any player actions, game actions, or
   attempt on the part of a player to alter the game state within their
   text. [In short, no one *needs* to be subscribed to this list.]
   
   acka-chess@ is a public forum only to be used for game actions in
   Party Chess.
   
   acka-games@ is a public forum meant for game actions involving other
   subgames. [For example: Grab-a-Donkey, the Machine That Goes *ping*,
   and anything in the Games & Contests Rule Suite.] IRC servers are
   legal fora in lieu of acka-games@ provided the server in question is
   specified, and used as described in the rules.
   
   acka-duels@ is a public forum meant for game actions in the course of
   duels between players. IRC servers are legal fora in lieu of
   acka-duels@ provided the serverin question is specified and used ad
   described in the rules.
   
   acka-priv@ is an alternate form of ackanomic@.
   acka-games-priv@ is an alternate form of acka-games@.
   acka-duels-priv@ is an alternate form of acka-duels@.
   [These are used for public messages needing a private reply.]
CODE
POSTAL

Please note that until this goes through, the previous lists at
muppetlabs.com are still valid, and in fact the new lists are not
(except [email-masked])

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 11:16:23 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: CSR 164

What about the acka-priv one?  If it is still not valid, then my GAD
post isn't valid, and nobody should send me a move in response to it.

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	JT [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Friday, November 20, 1998 10:09 AM
>To:	[email-masked]
>Subject:	Acka: CSR 164
>
>
>
>Please note that until this goes through, the previous lists at
>muppetlabs.com are still valid, and in fact the new lists are not
>(except [email-masked])
>
>--JT
>
>[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
>[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
>[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
>[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
>
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 12:59:03 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: CSR 164

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, AARON KEESLER wrote:
>What about the acka-priv one?  If it is still not valid, then my GAD
>post isn't valid, and nobody should send me a move in response to it.

the new ackanomic-priv list is (like the old list) just an alias for the
ackanomic list with reply-to set so that it goes back to the author rather
than to the list.  So again, that should have worked fine.

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:02:32 -0500 (EST)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: GAD!  (Round 6)

>smallpox blanket went for Robin Hood's donkey, which was Covered.  Then
>Thomas Jute went for smallpox blanket's donkey, which was not Covered.
>Then Alfvaen went for Thomas Jute's donkey, which likewise was not
>Covered.

if that happened, where did Thomas Jute go?  shouldn't he have a donkey?

>/dev/joe Covered his donkey, which was wise, though unnecessary.
>
>Current GAL:
>
>Alfvaen
>Pol Pot
>/dev/joe
>IdiotBoy
>Gromit
>Robin Hood
>Slakko
>
>Current Scores:
>
>Slakko - 4
>Robin Hood - 3
>Alfvaen - 2
>/dev/joe - 2
>IdiotBoy - 2
>Gromit - 2
>Pol Pot - 1
>
>Reply to this message with yr next play.
>
>
>Wallace
>
>------------------
>Aaron Keesler
>Lotus Notes Administrator
>Intranet Administrator
>Adtran, Inc.
>------------------
>"And now... Number one:  The Larch."
> 
- --Pol Pot

Butthead -- Crazy French Scotsman -- Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master
- --  Really Weird --  Rule-Harfer -- Religious Caste

Memo to myself: Do the dumb things you gotta do.  Touch the puppet head.
Over 50% of all voting players have a rebelliousness of "on"
Happy! Happy! Happy!
I'm on fire!
To Ganymede and Titan, yes sir I've been around
I apply to join all pseudofounded organizations, vote no on all outstanding
IPs, remove myself from the CFJ ineligibility list, and go home.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:15:21 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: GAD!  (Round 6)

Nope.  Here's what happened:

Thomas Jute grabbed smallpox blanket's donkey, giving him two.

Alfvaen then grabbed Thomas Jute's donkey, leaving him with one, which
high-tails it for the Wilds, leaving him with zero.

This is also the reason why, when /dev/joe and IdiotBoy (with 3 donkeys
each) grabbed each other's donkeys, they were each left with two.

Note to the next Wrangler:  As K 2 said a while back, 2 donkeys is no
more advantage than one.  This should probably be fixed.

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	Gabe Drummond-Cole [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Friday, November 20, 1998 12:03 PM
>To:	[email-masked]
>Subject:	Re: Acka: GAD!  (Round 6)
>
>>smallpox blanket went for Robin Hood's donkey, which was Covered.  Then
>>Thomas Jute went for smallpox blanket's donkey, which was not Covered.
>>Then Alfvaen went for Thomas Jute's donkey, which likewise was not
>>Covered.
>
>if that happened, where did Thomas Jute go?  shouldn't he have a donkey?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:21:24 -0500 (EST)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: GAD!  (Round 6)

At 01:15 PM 11/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Nope.  Here's what happened:
>
>Thomas Jute grabbed smallpox blanket's donkey, giving him two.
>
>Alfvaen then grabbed Thomas Jute's donkey, leaving him with one, which
>high-tails it for the Wilds, leaving him with zero.

so grabbing is not simultaneous?  how is the order determined?

- --Pol Pot

Butthead -- Crazy French Scotsman -- Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master
- --  Really Weird --  Rule-Harfer -- Religious Caste

Memo to myself: Do the dumb things you gotta do.  Touch the puppet head.
Over 50% of all voting players have a rebelliousness of "on"
Happy! Happy! Happy!
I'm on fire!
To Ganymede and Titan, yes sir I've been around
I apply to join all pseudofounded organizations, vote no on all outstanding
IPs, remove myself from the CFJ ineligibility list, and go home.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:23:36 -0500 (EST)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: GAD!  (Round 6)

At 01:15 PM 11/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Nope.  Here's what happened:
>
>Thomas Jute grabbed smallpox blanket's donkey, giving him two.
>
>Alfvaen then grabbed Thomas Jute's donkey, leaving him with one, which
>high-tails it for the Wilds, leaving him with zero.
>
>This is also the reason why, when /dev/joe and IdiotBoy (with 3 donkeys
>each) grabbed each other's donkeys, they were each left with two.
>
>Note to the next Wrangler:  As K 2 said a while back, 2 donkeys is no
>more advantage than one.  This should probably be fixed.
>

C. If exactly one player ("A") chose to Grab another player's donkey ("B"),
and B did not Cover their donkey or B Covered their donkey and was
Distracted by at
least one other player: 

i. A successfully grabs one of B's donkeys and A's herd is increased by one
at the end of the round. 

ii. If B had a herd of two or more donkeys at the start of the round,
during the noise and confusion of the grab one of B's donkeys will become
terrified and flee into
the Wilds of Ackanomic (where it will graze peacefully, returning to the
Game Box at the conclusion of Grab-a-Donkey). B's herd is reduced by two at
the end of
the round. 
- --Pol Pot

Butthead -- Crazy French Scotsman -- Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master
- --  Really Weird --  Rule-Harfer -- Religious Caste

Memo to myself: Do the dumb things you gotta do.  Touch the puppet head.
Over 50% of all voting players have a rebelliousness of "on"
Happy! Happy! Happy!
I'm on fire!
To Ganymede and Titan, yes sir I've been around
I apply to join all pseudofounded organizations, vote no on all outstanding
IPs, remove myself from the CFJ ineligibility list, and go home.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:26:48 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: GAD!  (Round 6)

Yup.  My bad.  I may, in fact, have been harfing this wrong for a bit
now.  Let me go back and check.  If that turns out to be the case, I'll
let everyone know.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:28:16 -0500 (EST)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3761

I offer Wild Card A$15 to vote YES on this

>Proposal 3761
>Scam Day
>Vynd
>Due: Fri Nov 27 13:21:17 1998

I try to give Vynd a trinket in homage to eir harfiness, but this fails
because I don't have any money or any trinkets.
- --Pol Pot

Butthead -- Crazy French Scotsman -- Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master
- --  Really Weird --  Rule-Harfer -- Religious Caste

Memo to myself: Do the dumb things you gotta do.  Touch the puppet head.
Over 50% of all voting players have a rebelliousness of "on"
Happy! Happy! Happy!
I'm on fire!
To Ganymede and Titan, yes sir I've been around
I apply to join all pseudofounded organizations, vote no on all outstanding
IPs, remove myself from the CFJ ineligibility list, and go home.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:55:50 -0500 (EST)
From: "Jonathon Abrams" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Not enough time, and RL interferance

It is with some sadness that I find I must leave the game of Ackanomic.   
Something has come up in Real Life which makes it
necessary for me to be off the net for the next 3 to 6 months.

Also, the sheer deluge of email when I could only check my mail
once every 4 to 5 days was a bit much.

I would like to thank both A Mean Hat and JT for providing me to
answers to the questions I asked them privately and to everyone
who made me feel welcome.

If I can, I give 100 A$ to each of A Mean Hat and JT.

I now leave the game.  (hopefully to return some time in the
future)

Jonathon.

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 14:34:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: GAD!  (Round 6)

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, AARON KEESLER wrote:

> Nope.  Here's what happened:
> 
> Thomas Jute grabbed smallpox blanket's donkey, giving him two.
> 
> Alfvaen then grabbed Thomas Jute's donkey, leaving him with one, which
> high-tails it for the Wilds, leaving him with zero.

Then?????  Moves are simultaneous, are they not?

- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 14:45:32 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: On K 2's State

Rule 250, "Players and Player States", says:

   I. Player States
   
   All natural persons exist in exactly one of the following states:
   
   Voting
   Non-Voting
   Vacationing
   On Ice
   Non-Player
   
   Those natural persons, and only those natural persons, who are not
   Non-Players are Players. Players are named, unownable entities.
   Non-Players may observe the game and participate in discussions, but
   their posts shall not affect the game state except as described in
   rule 252. Non-player persons are not entities.

While the heading of this section is "Player States", the text says that
the list is a list of states natural persons can have, and that all persons
not in the state Non-Player are Players.  Nothing in the rules explicitly
defines Player States; the definition of states for natural persons here
is the closest thing, and since persons in the state Non-Player are not
players, I must conclude that "Player States" are the states listed here
other than Non-Player, and Non-Player is a Non-Player State.

The phrase "player state" only appears in the rules in the title and section
header of this rule, and in these other places:

Later in R250:

   III. Changing State
   
   A Player may change eir state as a public action by announcing the new
   player state, provided eir state has not changed within the past 3
   days, and provided no other rule places any restrictions on eir
   ability to change to a particular state. Whenever a player's state is
   changed, the appropriate following section applies to them:

In R409:

   The Office of the Registrar is a Functional Office. The Duties of the
   Registrar are:
   
   (a) maintaining a list of all registered players, their current
   Ackanomic names, their e-mail addresses, and their player states.

In R709:

   5) A player in Gaol may change their player state.

In R1030:

   No player may leave eir Caste. However, it is possible that two or
   three players agree to swap Caste membership, provided that the
   players swapping membership have all been in the Player State of
   Voting for at least 3 weeks, and none of them swapped Caste membership
   within the last 3 weeks.

The last of these implies Voting is a player state, and thus, implies that
player states should be taken as defined in R250 (however imprecisely that
may be).  In a number of other places there are references to players having
or changing to a certain state, and while there are places in the rules that
specify that a player's state changes to Non-Player or specify what happens
when a player's state changes to Non-Player, this is expected, as players
have to become and cease to be players somehow, or else we'd have well over
100 players now.  Nothing in the rules refers to a player whose state *is*
Non-Player, nor to a "player state" of Non-Player, so I would have to follow
the more reasonable assumption of standard English, that "Non-Player" is a
Non-Player State, while the others (Voting, etc.) are Player States, and
combined they are all the states natural persons can have.

Thus, K 2's attempt to change to the state of Non-Player failed, or is
interpreted as an attempt to leave the game, which puts him into the On Ice
state, or else his shortly following message to unsubscribe from all the
lists has to be interpreted as an attempt to leave the game, as such
messages from non-vacationing, non-icy [non-Undead, once upon a time]
players have long been interpreted by game custom.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 14:58:20 -0500 (EST)
From: "JagmonSingh" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [none]

please subscribe me from this list.

thankyou. 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 16:36:20 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Puppetheads

Puppetheads were given out on Fri, 13 Nov 1998 01:52:59 -0500

The following players failed to touch their puppet heads before 01:53
on Friday the 20th.

404 Not Found
AJ
saaremaa
The Green Ripper
Wild Card

Those 5 players become Non-Voting and may not change their state for 3
days.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 17:08:47 -0500 (EST)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Puppetheads

At 04:36 PM 11/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Puppetheads were given out on Fri, 13 Nov 1998 01:52:59 -0500
>
>The following players failed to touch their puppet heads before 01:53
>on Friday the 20th.
>
>404 Not Found
>AJ
>saaremaa
>The Green Ripper
>Wild Card
>

Wild Card is an error here, of course.

- --Pol Pot

Butthead -- Crazy French Scotsman -- Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master
- --  Really Weird --  Rule-Harfer -- Religious Caste

Memo to myself: Do the dumb things you gotta do.  Touch the puppet head.
Over 50% of all voting players have a rebelliousness of "on"
Happy! Happy! Happy!
I'm on fire!
To Ganymede and Titan, yes sir I've been around
I apply to join all pseudofounded organizations, vote no on all outstanding
IPs, remove myself from the CFJ ineligibility list, and go home.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 17:11:50 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Puppetheads

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, JT wrote:
>Puppetheads were given out on Fri, 13 Nov 1998 01:52:59 -0500
>
>The following players failed to touch their puppet heads before 01:53
>on Friday the 20th.
>
>404 Not Found
>AJ
>saaremaa
>The Green Ripper
>Wild Card

I apologize.  As someone pointed out to me, Wild Card's had a puppet head
remover in his sig all week.  I personally think that sigs shouldn't be
legal for stuff like that, but hey, there you go.  However, I refuse to
do anything more than apologize for having missed it.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 18:22:18 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Puppetheads

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, JT wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, JT wrote:
> >Puppetheads were given out on Fri, 13 Nov 1998 01:52:59 -0500
> >
> >The following players failed to touch their puppet heads before 01:53
> >on Friday the 20th.
> >
> >404 Not Found
> >AJ
> >saaremaa
> >The Green Ripper
> >Wild Card
> 
> I apologize.  As someone pointed out to me, Wild Card's had a puppet head
> remover in his sig all week.  I personally think that sigs shouldn't be
> legal for stuff like that, but hey, there you go.  However, I refuse to
> do anything more than apologize for having missed it.

One question: How do you define "sig"?
How do you prove something is in someone's sig as opposed to just being in
the message?  Does a changing tagline count as a sig, or does it depend on
whether it was put in by hand or not?

- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 18:22:23 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Chess: We're All Somewhere Else???

Gromit failed to post a move in time.  E therefore surrenders by default.
A Stabber's Knife is created in the possession of Somewhere Else (or not
at all, take your pick).

It is now the turn of the SPAM Swinger, but there is no player holding
that post.  3 days from the date of this message, the turn of the SPAM
Swinger will end.

Current gamestate:

   | a| b| c| d| e| f| g| h| i| j| k| l| m| n| o| p| q| r| s| t|
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
20 |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
19 |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
18 |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |TM|  |  |  |  |
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
17 |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |TM|  |  |  |TK|  |  |  |  |
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
16 |  |  |  |S%|  |SR|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |TC|  |  |  |  |
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
15 |  |  |  |  |S%|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |T+|  |  |TA|  |  |  |
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
14 |  |SP|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |TP|  |
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
13 |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
12 |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |S%|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
11 |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |SK|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
10 |GR|GB|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |TB|  |  |  |  |  |  |
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
 9 |  |GK|  |  |  |  |VP|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
 8 |  |  |  |  |  |  |V%|VP|  |  |  |  |  |TR|  |  |  |  |  |  |
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
 7 |  |  |  |  |  |  |VP|  |  |RR|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
 6 |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
 5 |  |  |  |VP|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
 4 |  |VP|V%|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |RC|RR|R%|
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
 3 |  |  |  |VK|VP|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
 2 |  |  |  |  |  |VP|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |RA|  |  |  |
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
 1 |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |RG|  |RK|  |
   +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
   | a| b| c| d| e| f| g| h| i| j| k| l| m| n| o| p| q| r| s| t|

Swinger       Type              Wt.  On-Board   Off-Board
Vacant     P - SPAM [S]         79   KPR%%%     ABCJMOP*
Vacant     P - Klingon[K]        0              K+CDHOQRR!%
Alfvaen    P - Metamorph[M]      0              KACGMP%%%%
Robin Hood P - AVPP [A]          0              KABEGHLMOQRZ%%+&
Niccolo F  Tarzan's Tree Hs[T] 117   KABCMMPR+  BJOZZ%+
WARM       P - HARF [H]          0              KABPPPRRR%
Tom Jute   P - GOP [G]          44   KBR        BDDR
Vacant     P - Vulcan[V]        76   K(7P)%%    DMOQRR%
Vacant     P - Boomerangs[R]   111.5 KACGRR%    GJMPPQ
Gromit     Jungle VIPs [J]       0              KCEOOPPPR

Next Turn: Due 3 days after this message
Current Player: Vacant

I have lost the messages indicating which pieces JT bought for the
Boomerangs lately.  If he could find them and bounce them to me I will
rectify the errors.

- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 18:22:31 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 686 (TRUE)

Wild Card has judged this TRUE.

Call for Judgement 686 - November 5, 1998
Subject: JT's Winning Condition (3rd time lucky)
Initiator: JT (sent 05 Nov 1998, 15:09 Acka)
1st Judge: The Green Ripper (chosen 7 Nov 1998, 15:25 Acka) (deadbeat)
2nd Judge: Wild Card (chosen 17 Nov 1998, 04:43 Acka)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:
        JT has achieved a winning condition during the current cycle.

Reasoning:
        On  Sun, 25 Oct 1998 01:53:15 -0500 (EST)  JT donated A$2705 to
the museum in the form of 2 of Malenkai's Gold Coins (#27 and #28) and
the trinket 'JT cleaned out his closet and found all of this junk' (value
of A$2703).  Since his Benefactor Value at the time of donation was
A$2296, this brought his total Benefactor Value to over A$5001.  Since
this was the first time that JT had a Benefactor Value greater than
A$5000, e achieved a Winning Condition.

Judge's Reasoning:

(none)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 19:01:21 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Puppetheads

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
>> I apologize.  As someone pointed out to me, Wild Card's had a puppet head
>> remover in his sig all week.  I personally think that sigs shouldn't be
>> legal for stuff like that, but hey, there you go.  However, I refuse to
>> do anything more than apologize for having missed it.
>
>One question: How do you define "sig"?

I think you will agree that it is *usually* pretty obvious.  However,
since I cannot offer an algorithm, I wouldn't propose it, that was just
grumbling above, and a comment about it being annoying.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #419
*******************************