Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #411
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Monday, November 16 1998       Volume 03 : Number 411

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 02:46:48 -0500 (EST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: merging some lists together

On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, JT wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Jonathan David Amery wrote:
> >> acka-finance can go.
> >> I'd prefer to keep acka-research seperate, as it is now, for filtering
> >> purposes. I'd like to keep acka-chess seperate from acka-games, I filter
> >> them seperately, and I wouldn't like to mix up all those other games with
> >> Party Chess mail.
> >
> > Possibly create acka-duels for duels and keep acka-games for normal
> >games.
> 
> That's actually not a bad idea.  What do other folks think?

I think it's not a bad idea, too.

Niccolo Flychuck

> 
> - --JT
> 
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> [ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
> [ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 03:32:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Assorted actions

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, David Scheidt wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Towsner wrote:
> 
> :	I request membership in the churches of the EBS and the Spellbook
> :of Chorg, SPAM and Shell#10.  I sign On the Dotten Line.  I put myself in
> :the mentor pool.
> :
> 
> Are you saying SPAM is a church?  
> 
> I become a voting player.  I unproxy my support from SPAM.  I suggest that
> SPAM take else...if as a member

I support this suggestion.

- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 03:32:19 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasures have been found.

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Jonathan David Amery wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Jonathan David Amery wrote:
> 
> > 
> >  The bonus vote treasures I buried have been found.  I'll do the random
> > determination in a second.
> > 
> 
>  Treasure 263a has been found by Slakko.
>  Treasure 263b has been found by Slakko.
> 
>  Both had the map "This treasure will be found by a randomly determined
> player who voted YES on proposal 3716."

Oooo!!! 4 Bonus Votes

I give Wild Card 1 Bonus Vote.
I give rufus 1 Bonus Vote.
I give else...if 1 Bonus Vote.

If Bonus Votes are not gift entities, then I offer 1 Bonus Vote each to
Wild Card, rufus and else...if
- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 03:33:23 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Silver Moon Nominees

I suggest the following list of four nominees:

Anathema's Treasure Map

Koxvolio's play of Angel when e wasn't allowed to in YORL

SIRe's Phoebe post, The Rime of the Ancient Nanotech

Wild Card's Phoebe post, the Babylon 5-esque Wisdom #85

Thomas Jute is the only other senator.

- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 04:37:23 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: merging some lists together

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:

> 
> 
> On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, JT wrote:
> 
> > On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Jonathan David Amery wrote:
> > >> acka-finance can go.
> > >> I'd prefer to keep acka-research seperate, as it is now, for filtering
> > >> purposes. I'd like to keep acka-chess seperate from acka-games, I filter
> > >> them seperately, and I wouldn't like to mix up all those other games with
> > >> Party Chess mail.
> > >
> > > Possibly create acka-duels for duels and keep acka-games for normal
> > >games.
> > 
> > That's actually not a bad idea.  What do other folks think?
> 
> I think it's not a bad idea, too.

I agree with Wild Card.  

- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 04:54:30 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 694 (Pol Pot)

Pol Pot has been selected.

Call for Judgement 694 - November 15, 1998
Subject: Messages on acka-research
Initiator: JT (sent Nov 15 1998, 00:31 Acka)
Judge: Pol Pot
Judgement:

Statement:

JT's messages to the acka-research list while he was Postal did not result
in him paying A$79 to the treasury for each message.

Reasoning:

Rule 709 is the only definition of game action.  It says
   If a player is in the Gaol, they may perform no game actions except
   those on the following numbered list and those allowed by Rule 101. If
   a particular action on this list is not defined elsewhere the rules,
   however, it is considered to be "prohibited". This clause defers to
   any other rule which regulates any action on the following list:
and then later says
   7) A player in the Gaol may post up to 3 public messages a day.

This implies that posting a public message is a game action.
That statement has also been found to be true in previous CFJs (notably
CFJ 336, and further confirmed in CFJ 526, the second of which came after
the statement about public messages were added to the list of Gaol allowed
actions)

Further, rule 370 says
   If a message is sent to a mailing list named in the Postal Code, then
   it is a public message if and only if the Postal Code indicates that
   mailing list is a public forum, and any actions attempted in the
   message obey the restrictions outlined in the Postal Code for that
   list.

The Postal Code says
   acka-research@ is a public forum meant for discussion only. It cannot
   be used for public actions or any other game actions. [In short, no
   one *needs* to be subscribed to this list.]

Therefore, even though the Postal Code calls acka-research a public forum,
it cannot be used for any game action, and thus anything sent to it cannot
be a public message since by prior game custom, a public message is a game
action.

This strongly indicates that the current postal code formulation is
flawed, but that can wait for correction until another day.  In the
meantime, nothing posted to the research list can have a game effect,
and that includes implicitly affecting the game state I believe.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 05:04:58 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 695 (else...if)

else...if has been selected.

Call for Judgement 695 - November 15, 1998
Subject: Research Public Message PWCFJ
Initiator: K 2 (sent Nov 15 1998, 01:55 Acka)
Judge: else...if
Judgement:

Statement:
The legality of a goaled player sending four messages to acka-research
cannot be determined with finality.

Reasoning:

This is a Paradox Win CFJ.
[Like we *need* another scam this month :)]

The Postal Code:
acka-research@ is a public forum meant for discussion only. It cannot be
used for public actions or any other game actions. [In short, no one
*needs* to be subscribed to this list.]

Rule 370:
If a message is sent to a mailing list named in the Postal Code, then it
is a public message if and only if the Postal Code indicates that
mailing list is a public forum, and any actions attempted in the message
obey the restrictions outlined in the Postal Code for that list.

CFJ 336 established that a "public message" is a "game action".

A message sent to research can not be a public message since if it were
it would also be a game action and would thus violate the restriction
placed on the list by the postal code. Since it is not a public message
it is not a game action and thus conforms with the list requirements and
thus is a public message, but since it is a public message it
doesn't.....

an infinite loop....

Since it cannot be determined with finality if player's message to
research is a public message or not, it can not be determined how many
public messages they have sent. Rule 709 permits a goaled player to send
three public messages but it is impossible to determine if they have
sent a legal number (less than four) or an illegal number (four or
more).

[While I'm here I just like to let the goose know that when e comes over
to my house *I* will take to to the movies and stuff.... not like other
players]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 05:08:09 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 696 (Fortunato)

Fortunato has been selected.

Call for Judgement 696 - November 15, 1998
Subject: Indeterminate Church Policy PWCFJ
Initiator: Pol Pot (sent Nov 15 1998, 23:23 Acka)
Judge: Fortunato
Judgement:

Statement:

The legality of Pol Pot's donation of Alice in Wonderland to They Might Be
About to Win a Cycle cannot be determined with finality. (This is a Paradox
Win CFJ)

Reasoning:

Rule 1301 says:

c. A Player who disobeys the Church Policy of a Church of which he or she
is a member is guilty of Iconoclasm, which is a Crime. It is impermissible
for a Player to take a game action which constitutes Iconoclasm if he or
she has any legal alternative which would not constitute Iconoclasm. [That
is, Iconoclasm normally doesn't
happen unless there is no alternative. It is possible for a player to
commit Iconoclasm by inaction, though.] 

Because the Church Policy is continually flipping back and forth between
requiring and not allowing its members to donate such trinkets to the
Church, it is impossible to determine with finality which state the game
was in when I attempted to donate the trinket.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 05:47:45 -0500 (EST)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 696 (Fortunato)

At 05:08 AM 11/16/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Fortunato has been selected.
>
>Call for Judgement 696 - November 15, 1998
>Subject: Indeterminate Church Policy PWCFJ
>Initiator: Pol Pot (sent Nov 15 1998, 23:23 Acka)
>Judge: Fortunato
>Judgement:
>
>Statement:
>
>The legality of Pol Pot's donation of Alice in Wonderland to They Might Be
>About to Win a Cycle cannot be determined with finality. (This is a Paradox
>Win CFJ)
>
>Reasoning:
>
>Rule 1301 says:
>
>c. A Player who disobeys the Church Policy of a Church of which he or she
>is a member is guilty of Iconoclasm, which is a Crime. It is impermissible
>for a Player to take a game action which constitutes Iconoclasm if he or
>she has any legal alternative which would not constitute Iconoclasm. [That
>is, Iconoclasm normally doesn't
>happen unless there is no alternative. It is possible for a player to
>commit Iconoclasm by inaction, though.] 
>
>
>Because the Church Policy is continually flipping back and forth between
>requiring and not allowing its members to donate such trinkets to the
>Church, it is impossible to determine with finality which state the game
>was in when I attempted to donate the trinket.

I retract this and grumble about putting it in the reasoning next time

- --Pol Pot

Crazy French Scotsman -- Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master  --  Really
Weird --  Rule-Harfer -- Warrior Caste

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 06:05:17 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (kenningd)
Subject: acka: puppethead

Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do.  Touch the puppethead.

Ethelred

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 07:59:22 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Grr...

Memo to myself.  Do the dumb things I gotta do.  Touch the Puppethead.

- ------------------
Aaron Keesler
Lotus Notes Administrator
Intranet Administrator
Adtran, Inc.
- ------------------
"And now... Number one:  The Larch."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 08:10:44 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Election for Prez

The nomination period for President is over.

Nominees:
JT
IdiotBoy
Ethelred
Wild Card
Gromit

Reply to this message with your vote.  Nominees, get out your soapboxes!

Wallace

- ------------------
Aaron Keesler
Lotus Notes Administrator
Intranet Administrator
Adtran, Inc.
- ------------------
"And now... Number one:  The Larch."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 08:15:57 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Election for Senate

The nomination period for the Senate has ended.  Note to people who
wanted a specific Seat - it was pointed out to me that you don't run for
seats in the Senate, you run for the Senate and first and second place
(in this case) get the seats.

Nominees:
Vynd
/dev/joe
sIREsmallpox blanket
r-Atilla the Farce
The Green Ripper
K 2

The Green Ripper attempted to use his Good Ballot Stuffer in this
nomination.  I believe the only game effect is to give me a Winning
Condition.

Wallace

- ------------------
Aaron Keesler
Lotus Notes Administrator
Intranet Administrator
Adtran, Inc.
- ------------------
"And now... Number one:  The Larch."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 08:33:05 -0500 (EST)
From: "A.K.A. TheWiz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ackanomic digest V3 #409

  Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta puppethead.  Touch the do.

___Dan_Knapp____The_Mauve_Baron______________________Beep Blip Bonk_______
<[email-masked]><[email-masked]> http://users.bergen.org/~dankna
rec.games.video.classic, NES, Atari 2600, C64, Mac yes Mac
Absolute knowledge does not constitute proof.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 09:25:19 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: Election for Senate

Wallace wrote:

>The Green Ripper attempted to use his Good Ballot Stuffer in this
>nomination.  I believe the only game effect is to give me a Winning
>Condition.

Oh yeah?

ThinMan
doubtful

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 09:49:10 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: CFJ 695 (else...if)

>Statement:
>The legality of a goaled player sending four messages to acka-research
>cannot be determined with finality.
>
>Reasoning:
>
>This is a Paradox Win CFJ.
>[Like we *need* another scam this month :)]
>
>The Postal Code:
>acka-research@ is a public forum meant for discussion only. It cannot be
>used for public actions or any other game actions. [In short, no one
>*needs* to be subscribed to this list.]
>
>Rule 370:
>If a message is sent to a mailing list named in the Postal Code, then it
>is a public message if and only if the Postal Code indicates that
>mailing list is a public forum, and any actions attempted in the message
>obey the restrictions outlined in the Postal Code for that list.
>
>CFJ 336 established that a "public message" is a "game action".
>
>A message sent to research can not be a public message since if it were
>it would also be a game action and would thus violate the restriction
>placed on the list by the postal code. Since it is not a public message
>it is not a game action and thus conforms with the list requirements and
>thus is a public message, but since it is a public message it
>doesn't.....
>
>an infinite loop....

There is an important distinction between the game action of sending a public
message and game actions invoked or performed _in_ public messages.  Rule 370
only addresses itself to the latter, i.e., to the content of the message.
This allows for messages on acka-research to be public messages despite the
restriction against actions there.  

>[While I'm here I just like to let the goose know that when e comes over
>to my house *I* will take to to the movies and stuff.... not like other
>players]

I'm sure the Goose is looking forward to his visit.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 10:31:19 -0500 (EST)
From: Bill Palmer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: twiddlehead

"Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do. Touch the puppet head."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:16:32 -0500 (EST)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: *ping*

I apologize.. I missed another ping date yesterday.  Here it is for good
measure.:

Today is Sunday, the 15th day of November, and the Machine That Goes
*ping* Has Gone *ping* today. Since I have been scholar, the Machine has
gone *ping* 4 times.

IB

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:18:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: *ping*

Today is Monday, the 16th day of November, and the Machine That Goes
*ping* Has Gone *ping* today. Since I have been scholar, the Machine has
gone *ping* 5 times.

IB

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:39:46 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: *ping*

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Matt Miller wrote:

>
>Today is Monday, the 16th day of November, and the Machine That Goes
>*ping* Has Gone *ping* today. Since I have been scholar, the Machine has
>gone *ping* 5 times.

I cannot seem to find a record of the machines 4th ping.   So, either this
is the 4th ping and is merely misnumbered, or you forgot to send one.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:43:33 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: *ping*

The 4th *ping* was sent at the same time as the 5th.  It happened on
Sunday, and was reported today.

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	JT [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Monday, November 16, 1998 10:40 AM
>To:	[email-masked]
>Subject:	Re: Acka: *ping*
>
>On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Matt Miller wrote:
>
>>
>>Today is Monday, the 16th day of November, and the Machine That Goes
>>*ping* Has Gone *ping* today. Since I have been scholar, the Machine has
>>gone *ping* 5 times.
>
>I cannot seem to find a record of the machines 4th ping.   So, either this
>is the 4th ping and is merely misnumbered, or you forgot to send one.
>
>--JT
>
>[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
>[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
>[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
>[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:09:57 -0500 (EST)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Election for Prez

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, AARON KEESLER wrote:

> The nomination period for President is over.
> Nominees:
> JT
> IdiotBoy
> Ethelred
> Wild Card
> Gromit
> 
> Reply to this message with your vote.  Nominees, get out your soapboxes!
> 

 My intent is to have a period of presidency without scams.  Quite how
this can be achieved I don't know - but certainly it is the case that at
least two of the names on the list above have been associated with scams
recently - and hence should be suspect as far as their election to this
post is concerned. 

- -- 
Jonathan David Amery, Trinity Hall, CAMBRIDGE, CB2 1TJ.             #####
http://www.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/~jda23/home.html                  o__#######
Wild Card of Acka, member of SPAM, wearing Silly Agenda Hats.    \'#######
Follower of Banna, the EBS and Odo.  Holding the Silver Key to the Vault.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:18:02 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (kenningd)
Subject: Re: Acka: Puppethead

K 2 seemed to be intimating in recent messages that several players, myself
included, have multiple puppetheads due to that inquoracy/abstention thing. I'd
just like to make sure that this in fact is not the case, since it quite
clearly says in the rules that players do not receive a puppethead if they have
one already.

Just in case:

Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do.  Touch the puppethead.
Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do.  Touch the puppethead.
Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do.  Touch the puppethead.
Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do.  Touch the puppethead.
Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do.  Touch the puppethead.

That should cover it.

Ethelred

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:52:35 -0500 (EST)
From: Alexandre Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: puppethead

Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do.  Touch the puppethead.

**two-star

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:11:09 -0500 (EST)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Hrrm

I declare myself to be a butthead.

I don't think this is regulated, which would make it permissible

someone correct me if I'm wrong.

- --Pol Pot

Butthead -- Crazy French Scotsman -- Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master
- --  Really Weird --  Rule-Harfer -- Warrior Caste

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:55:49 -0500 (EST)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Advertisment.

 I am intending to "sell my vote" on porposals not authored by members of
SPAM.  Essentially you give me A$15 in a public forum mentioning the
proposal number and then email me privatly with which way you wish me to
vote.  First come first served on each proposal.  All such transactions
must take place 2 days before the voting period ends on the proposal.

- -- 
Jonathan David Amery, Trinity Hall, CAMBRIDGE, CB2 1TJ.             #####
http://www.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/~jda23/home.html                  o__#######
Wild Card of Acka, member of SPAM, wearing Silly Agenda Hats.    \'#######
Follower of Banna, the EBS and Odo.  Holding the Silver Key to the Vault.
Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do.  Touch the puppethead. 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:20:02 -0500 (EST)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Confusion

I have a bit of confusion about who is actually named what at the
moment.

Who is Rock of Gibraltar?
Who is Pol Pot?
And who is Thomas Jute?
And who is John Galt?

If I could get these players' e-mail addresses, I can match up.
Otherwise, there might be some mistaken grabs in GAD, and who wants
that?

Wallace

- ------------------
Aaron Keesler
Lotus Notes Administrator
Intranet Administrator
Adtran, Inc.
- ------------------
"And now... Number one:  The Larch."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:51:29 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Hrrm

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:

> I declare myself to be a butthead.
> 
> I don't think this is regulated, which would make it permissible
> 
> someone correct me if I'm wrong.
> 
> --Pol Pot

Someone's been reading the CFJ archives, I think. So far as I know, you
can do this, but only by virtue of the fact that it has know effect on the
game state.

Vynd

[email-masked]

> 
> Butthead -- Crazy French Scotsman -- Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master
> --  Really Weird --  Rule-Harfer -- Warrior Caste
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:55:45 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Confusion

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, AARON KEESLER wrote:

> I have a bit of confusion about who is actually named what at the
> moment.
> 
> Who is Rock of Gibraltar?
> Who is Pol Pot?

Pol Pot is a player who was at one point known as Anathema. I'm pretty
sure that Rock of Gibraltar doesn't actually exist, the player in question
not having had enough money to change his name. But maybe that was one of
the other name changes. :)

> And who is Thomas Jute?

I'm pretty sure this was caused by a Big Blue Thing, but I don't have the
time to figure out what it used to be.

> And who is John Galt?
> 

No comment.

> If I could get these players' e-mail addresses, I can match up.
> Otherwise, there might be some mistaken grabs in GAD, and who wants
> that?
> 

I do. Everything I tell you is a lie, meant to destroy the integrity of
the GAD from which I was most cruely eliminated.

Vynd

[email-masked]

> Wallace
> 
> ------------------
> Aaron Keesler
> Lotus Notes Administrator
> Intranet Administrator
> Adtran, Inc.
> ------------------
> "And now... Number one:  The Larch."
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:07:29 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: Hrrm

Pol Pot wrote:
>I declare myself to be a butthead.
>
>I don't think this is regulated, which would make it permissible
>
>someone correct me if I'm wrong.

No, you really are a -- oh, wait -- Yes, it's unregulated.

:-)

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:46:52 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Confusion

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:
>On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, AARON KEESLER wrote:
>
>> I have a bit of confusion about who is actually named what at the
>> moment.
>> 
>> Who is Rock of Gibraltar?
>> Who is Pol Pot?
>
>Pol Pot is a player who was at one point known as Anathema. I'm pretty
>sure that Rock of Gibraltar doesn't actually exist, the player in question
>not having had enough money to change his name. But maybe that was one of
>the other name changes. :)

Vynd is correct here.

>> And who is Thomas Jute?
>
>I'm pretty sure this was caused by a Big Blue Thing, but I don't have the
>time to figure out what it used to be.

This is Studge, who became Mao the Just, who became Thomas jute.

>> And who is John Galt?
>> 
>
>No comment.

None here either.

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:50:06 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Election for Prez

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Jonathan David Amery wrote:
>On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, AARON KEESLER wrote:
>
>> The nomination period for President is over.
>> Nominees:
>> JT
>> IdiotBoy
>> Ethelred
>> Wild Card
>> Gromit
>> 
>> Reply to this message with your vote.  Nominees, get out your soapboxes!
>> 
>
> My intent is to have a period of presidency without scams.  Quite how
>this can be achieved I don't know - but certainly it is the case that at
>least two of the names on the list above have been associated with scams
>recently - and hence should be suspect as far as their election to this
>post is concerned. 

So says the man who voted against the CRD which would fix the Bonus Vote
Scam which he has been blatantly abusing.   At least I voted against the
scam when the cards came down.  So, I find your claim of wanting a
presidency without scams to be so much hot air.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 17:14:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 695 (else...if)

>Call for Judgement 695 - November 15, 1998
>Subject: Research Public Message PWCFJ
>Initiator: K 2 (sent Nov 15 1998, 01:55 Acka)
>Judge: else...if
>Judgement: FALSE

Reasoning:
	Since CFJ 336, laws have changed in a way that leaves no question
that public messages are game actions. (I note rules 709 and 250.)  This
leaves the question of the iff statement in rule 370, which, restated,
reads: message is public IFF list is public forum and "any actions
attempted **IN** the message obey the restrictions outlined in the Postal
Code for that list." (emphasis mine).  For K2's argument to work, the act
of sending a message must be attempted in the message.
	I judge this CFJ FALSE.

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Thank heavens, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and
enjoy it.
		-Logan Pearsall Smith

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 17:55:52 -0500 (EST)
From: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Election for Senate

>The nomination period for the Senate has ended.  Note to people who
>wanted a specific Seat - it was pointed out to me that you don't run for
>seats in the Senate, you run for the Senate and first and second place
>(in this case) get the seats.
>
>Nominees:
>Vynd
>/dev/joe
>sIREsmallpox blanket

Oh my god! Once again I have been hideously fused with an another player in
one of Wallace's grotesque genetic experiments!!! And to make matters worse
it is my arch-nemesis smallpox blanket!!! Soon I will be taking over the
game, eating donuts and quoting star wars at will!!! Mmm... actually I think
I can live with that.

sIRE

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:27:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Election for Prez

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, JT wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Jonathan David Amery wrote:
> >On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, AARON KEESLER wrote:
> >> The nomination period for President is over.
> >> Nominees:
> >> JT
> >> IdiotBoy
> >> Ethelred
> >> Wild Card
> >> Gromit
> >> Reply to this message with your vote.  Nominees, get out your soapboxes!
> > My intent is to have a period of presidency without scams.  Quite how
> >this can be achieved I don't know - but certainly it is the case that at
> >least two of the names on the list above have been associated with scams
> >recently - and hence should be suspect as far as their election to this
> >post is concerned. 
> So says the man who voted against the CRD which would fix the Bonus Vote
> Scam which he has been blatantly abusing.   At least I voted against the
> scam when the cards came down.  So, I find your claim of wanting a
> presidency without scams to be so much hot air.

 I can pretty much guarrenttee that if you vote for me then no scams will
occur during my term of office.  And a CRD was not the right medium for
that fix.  And /this/ from the guy who was in on the plot to take over
Acka!

- -- 
Jonathan David Amery, Trinity Hall, CAMBRIDGE, CB2 1TJ.             #####
http://www.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/~jda23/home.html                  o__#######
Wild Card of Acka, member of SPAM, wearing Silly Agenda Hats.    \'#######
Follower of Banna, the EBS and Odo.  Holding the Silver Key to the Vault.
Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do.  Touch the puppethead. 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:37:36 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Election for Prez

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Jonathan David Amery wrote:
>> So says the man who voted against the CRD which would fix the Bonus Vote
>> Scam which he has been blatantly abusing.   At least I voted against the
>> scam when the cards came down.  So, I find your claim of wanting a
>> presidency without scams to be so much hot air.
>
> I can pretty much guarrenttee that if you vote for me then no scams will
>occur during my term of office.  And a CRD was not the right medium for
>that fix.  And /this/ from the guy who was in on the plot to take over
>Acka!

Was I?  The only verifiable thing is how I voted. Anything else is SHEER
speculation.  You, on the hand, can be seen to have exploited the BV scam,
not once, but twice, and BOTH of these after the scam was pointed out.

Re-elect JT, the president who *didn't* allow the coup to succeed.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:51:09 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Election for Prez

	Personally, I'd like to see an IRC debate.

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Thank heavens, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and
enjoy it.
		-Logan Pearsall Smith

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:00:44 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Election for Prez

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Towsner wrote:

>	Personally, I'd like to see an IRC debate.

I'm available this evening :)  Better have some other folks there though,
so that there are some questions to debate.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:01:00 -0500 (EST)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Election for Prez

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, JT wrote:
> Was I?  The only verifiable thing is how I voted. Anything else is SHEER
> speculation.  You, on the hand, can be seen to have exploited the BV scam,
> not once, but twice, and BOTH of these after the scam was pointed out.

 Ah, yes - but in each case I did not actually keep the BVs myself, but
buried them in fair treasures.

- -- 
Jonathan David Amery, Trinity Hall, CAMBRIDGE, CB2 1TJ.             #####
http://www.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/~jda23/home.html                  o__#######
Wild Card of Acka, member of SPAM, wearing Silly Agenda Hats.    \'#######
Follower of Banna, the EBS and Odo.  Holding the Silver Key to the Vault.
Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do.  Touch the puppethead. 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:06:39 -0500 (EST)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Election for Prez

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, JT wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Towsner wrote:
> >	Personally, I'd like to see an IRC debate.
> I'm available this evening :)  Better have some other folks there though,
> so that there are some questions to debate.

 /me will be asleep tonight,

- -- 
Jonathan David Amery, Trinity Hall, CAMBRIDGE, CB2 1TJ.             #####
http://www.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/~jda23/home.html                  o__#######
Wild Card of Acka, member of SPAM, wearing Silly Agenda Hats.    \'#######
Follower of Banna, the EBS and Odo.  Holding the Silver Key to the Vault.
Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do.  Touch the puppethead. 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:45:35 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Election for Prez

>	Personally, I'd like to see an IRC debate.

Oh boy!  I'll take the anti-IRC side.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page:http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/)
Song In my Head--Tracy Chapman:Across The Lines
Current Book--C.J. Cherryh:Yvgenie
A German time-domain reflectometrist of the eighteenth century liked lettuce.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 21:07:37 -0500 (EST)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Election for Prez

At 07:01 PM 11/16/98 -0500, you wrote:
>On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, JT wrote:
>> Was I?  The only verifiable thing is how I voted. Anything else is SHEER
>> speculation.  You, on the hand, can be seen to have exploited the BV scam,
>> not once, but twice, and BOTH of these after the scam was pointed out.
>
> Ah, yes - but in each case I did not actually keep the BVs myself, but
>buried them in fair treasures.
>

FAIR treasures?

We'll SEE about that!!!! I believe their fairness has been called into
question, Cardenheimer...

- --Pol Pot

Butthead -- Crazy French Scotsman -- Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master
- --  Really Weird --  Rule-Harfer -- Warrior Caste

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 22:00:26 -0500 (EST)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Election for Prez

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:

> FAIR treasures?
> 
> We'll SEE about that!!!! I believe their fairness has been called into
> question, Cardenheimer...

 Anyone could have voted YES on proposal 3716 if we had gone into anarchy
- - and that looked like happening when I buried them...

 Even so otherwise there were five eligable candidates...

- -- 
Jonathan David Amery, Trinity Hall, CAMBRIDGE, CB2 1TJ.             #####
http://www.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/~jda23/home.html                  o__#######
Wild Card of Acka, member of SPAM, wearing Silly Agenda Hats.    \'#######
Follower of Banna, the EBS and Odo.  Holding the Silver Key to the Vault.
Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do.  Touch the puppethead. 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 22:03:11 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Election for Prez

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, JT wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Jonathan David Amery wrote:
> >> So says the man who voted against the CRD which would fix the Bonus Vote
> >> Scam which he has been blatantly abusing.   At least I voted against the
> >> scam when the cards came down.  So, I find your claim of wanting a
> >> presidency without scams to be so much hot air.
> >
> > I can pretty much guarrenttee that if you vote for me then no scams will
> >occur during my term of office.  And a CRD was not the right medium for
> >that fix.  And /this/ from the guy who was in on the plot to take over
> >Acka!
> 
> Was I?  The only verifiable thing is how I voted. Anything else is SHEER
> speculation.  You, on the hand, can be seen to have exploited the BV scam,
> not once, but twice, and BOTH of these after the scam was pointed out.
> 
> Re-elect JT, the president who *didn't* allow the coup to succeed.

Well, sheer speculation plus the fact that you opnely admited it to most
anyone who asked you on IRC. :)

Vynd

[email-masked]

> 
> --JT
> 
> 
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> [ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
> [ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 22:08:56 -0500 (EST)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Treasures have been found.

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
> If Bonus Votes are not gift entities, then I offer 1 Bonus Vote each to
> Wild Card, rufus and else...if

 I accept this bonus vote and bury it with the map:

 "This Bonus Vote will be found by the next player to join ackanomic".

- -- 
Jonathan David Amery, Trinity Hall, CAMBRIDGE, CB2 1TJ.             #####
http://www.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/~jda23/home.html                  o__#######
Wild Card of Acka, member of SPAM, wearing Silly Agenda Hats.    \'#######
Follower of Banna, the EBS and Odo.  Holding the Silver Key to the Vault.
Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do.  Touch the puppethead. 

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #411
*******************************