Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #399
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Sunday, November 8 1998       Volume 03 : Number 399

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:10:55 -0500 (EST)
From: "Bryan Federico" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: If E can do it so can I.

>On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Matt Miller wrote:
>>I convert 15 points into an Otzma Card of type Arctic Explorer to be
>>created in my possesion.
>
>Since we aren't at total instance limit, and since there are less than 
5
>Artic Explorer cards in circulation, this works.
>
>--JT
>
I convert 45 points into 2 OC training Regimes and 1 OC Arctic Explorer

R-Attila The Farce
(:|Worker|General Contractor|Daring Adventurer|:)

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:17:18 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 687 (TRUE)

K 2 has judged this TRUE.
If unappealed, a Cycle Win will occur 4 days from the time of this
message.

Call for Judgement 687 - November 5, 1998
Subject: Slakko Cycle Win By Points CFJ
Initiator: Slakko (sent 5 Nov 1998, 19:06 Acka)
Judge: K 2 (chosen 7 Nov 1998, 05:49 Acka)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

Slakko has achieved a Winning Condition during the current cycle.

Reasoning:

Eir score was the first to reach or exceed the Magic Number during the
current cycle.  The current scorekeeper's log documents this adequately.

Reasoning:
I rule this CFJ TRUE, cause the Scorekeeper told me so.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:19:40 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Elder Nomination, Breadbox

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, JT wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, JT wrote:
> >I nominate breadbox for Enshrinment into the Hall of Elders.
> >I support this nomination.
> >
> >The confirmation period will last for 3 days from this message.
> >I will track the info and release the results at the end of that time.
> 
> It is my complete pleasure to announce that with 17 points (out of a
> needed 12), that breadbox is being inducted into the Hall of Elders.
> He doesn't actually assume this title for 30 days (but if he returns
> before then, we'll happily welcome him back)

Which day is breadbox's day?

- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:19:56 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 174 (1,2-TRUE) (Supreme Court)

K 2 has appealed this again.
It now goes to the whole of the Supreme Court.
Alfvaen, /dev/joe, Gromit, JT, Slakko and Vynd.

Call for Criminal Judgement 174 - September 12, 1998
Subject: Malpracticing Financier
Initiator: Weishaupt (sent 12 Sep 1998, 08:12 Acka)
Judge: Robin Hood (selected 12 Sep 1998, 09:00 Acka)
Judgement: TRUE (promulgated 18 Sep 1998, 04:15 Acka)
Appellant: K 2
1st Cortex: /dev/cortex (Mr. Tambourine Man and /dev/joe) (selected 21 Sep
1998, 12:13 Acka) (too slow)
2nd Cortex: Amicus Draconis (JT and Vynd) (chosen 31 Oct 1998 06:10 Acka)
Judgement: TRUE (upheld) (promulgated 6 Nov 1998 18:31 Acka)
Appellant: K 2
Supreme Court: Alfvaen, /dev/joe, Gromit, JT, Slakko, Vynd
Supreme Court's Judgement:

Statement: 
K 2 committed the Crime of Malpractice on Aug 28

Reasoning: 
This is only true if I have a brie.  When I joined, no method of
gaining Bries was defined in the rules.  Assuming I do have a Brie, K 2
performed his duty as financier incorrectly.  According to rule 701,

The act of performing a Duty incorrectly is the Crime of Malpractice. 

Suggested Penalty:

Transferrence of A$100 to Weishaupt for confusion, consternation, guilt,
and psychological trauma
Public Apology of at least 2 lines

Judge's Reasoning:
(none)

Actual Penalty:
A FINE of A$1.

Appellant's Reasoning:

>From rule 701: "The act of performing a Duty incorrectly is the Crime of
Malpractice."
>From rule 412:
"
The Duties of the Financier are:

a) To maintain accurate records of the who owns each ownable entity, what
each Player owns, and what each named non-Player
entity [such as the Treasury or the Chartreuse Goose] owns.

b) To log (or collate logs made by other officers) all transfers of entity
ownership and the creation and destruction of entities, and
to verify that these events happen only in accordance with the Rules.

c) To make the records and logs available to any Player upon request.

d) To maintain the Free Market (FM), and to verify any transaction made
there was made in accordance with the rules.
"

Since no player has requested the entity transfer log according to c) no
player (aside from myself) is in any position to determine if a breach of a)
has occurred. Since the pe page is unregulated it is permissible for it to
have any content I choose <power trip> :). While it usually represents
*The Truth* maybe in this case it didn't? No one asked so only I can tell.

As the most damning evidence that I didn't do it I present rule 401.x :
"
Officers have 3 days to complete the tasks and duties they are responsible
for, not counting any time the officer is vacationing or
in Gaol, unless other rules unambiguously specify a different finite amount
of time for these things.
"
On 28/08/1998  3:52:29 Weishaupt joined the game, I had three days to harf
eir ownership of A$900 and a trinket (duty 402.a), thus on Aug 28 I was not
committing Malpractice. If it occurred it occurred 3 days later. This CFCJ
is definitely (first player to say trivially gets a sound thwaping) FALSE.

Cortex's reasoning:

There is a preponderance of evidence that K 2 did in fact perform his
duties incorrectly, by incorrectly logging that Weishaupt had a Brie
cheese. We note that K 2 did not somehow give Weishaupt a Brie
incorrectly, the Financier does not have the ability to create entities
except in accordance with the rules, and it was impossible for a Brie to
be created at the time in question. Instead, K 2 incorrectly tracked, or
in the language of the rules, logged, the existance of a Brie in
Weishaupt's possession. Thus K 2 incorrectly performed duties a) and b) of
the Financier office, which are (in part) to keep accurate records of what
players own, and to log the creation and transfer of entities.

The real question in judging this CFJ is not if the Crime was commited,
but when.  The appelant (K 2 again) claims that the efficiency section of
Rule 400, which allows 3 days for officers to carry out their duties,
means that he could not have commited malpractice in regards to
Weishaupt's possession on August 28. He bases this claim on the fact that,
as Weishaupt had only joined the game on the 28th, as Financier he had
still had three days to accurately record Weishaupt's possessions.

We disagree with K 2 on this matter. If this were a case where K 2 had not
yet logged Weishaupt as possessing anything on August 28, then his
argument would be valid. He would not have performed his duty yet, but he
would still have several days in which to do so. This is not what occured.
In this case, K 2 performed his duty, but did so incorrectly in that he
stated that Weishaupt owned something that he did not. In fact, he
commited Malpractice twice, once by claiming that Brie was created, and
again by claiming that Weishaupt owned said Brie. The efficiency ceased to
apply once K 2 performed his duty, even if it was performed incorrectly.

K 2 also asserts that the contents of the "Player/Entity" page are not, in
fact, a log, and need not be accurate. We disagree with this assertion as
well. To our knowledge K 2 has never informed players of any means of
accessing a "log" other than the website in question. He has presented the
information on it as if it were a log, and in the absence of any other
visible means of acquiring information on entities and ownership, it has
been considered by the players of Ackanomic to be the official source of
information from the Financier. We believe that each time a player
accesses the "Player/Entity" webpage, this is a "request" by a player for
the "records and logs" that are discussed in section c) of Rule 412
Financier and Free Market. Thus, if the webpage is "not" an accurate log,
but the Financier has, at the very least, allowed the PLayers of Ackanomic
to believe that it is, then he is once again commiting Malpractice, and
presumably was commiting Malpractice on August 28, as the same webpage was
in use then.

Thus, this court has determined that if K 2 did not have an accurate log
of Weishaupt's possessions on August 28 available on the "Player/Entity"
webpage, he commited the Crime alleged in this CFCJ. After investigation,
some of which is quoted at the end of this message, we have determined
that the crime was in fact commited on August 28. Hence we uphold the
original judgment of TRUE.

With all that said and done, we consider this CFCJ to be in poor taste.
The officers, particularly the Financier, have difficult jobs to do, and
will inevitably make mistakes. When they are noticed, it has long been
game custom to point them out and allow them to be corrected without
punishment, unless of course the the officer disagrees that an error has
been made at all. This game custom does not, of course, prevent CFCJs from
being filed, but we feel that it is important to note that they were not
intended for this purpose. Malpractice is a crime that should only be
prosecuted when it has truly damaging effects on the game or a player,
neither of which was true in this case. Having stated this for the record,
we choose to keep the original penalty of a FINE of A$1. Let the appealer
of this CFCJ be penalized with a 0 point deduction.

Appellant's Reasoning (2):

After giving the matter some consideration, I searched the mail logs to
see if
there was any publicly knowable evidence that I did not harf Weishaupt's
entry
into Acka on the 28th.

The logs confirm that I posted messages on the 26th of August (~13:06)
and then
again on the 29th of August (~13:32). It seems reasonable to assume that
I
downloaded my mail at these times as well.

Furthermore the messages posted on 29th of August:

i) Sat, 29 Aug. 1998 16:48:03 (v03.n290), in reply to an action on 28
Aug. 1998
14:22:40 (v03.n288).
ii) Sat, 29 Aug. 1998 13:33:22 (v03.n204), publicly delivering a verdict
to CFJ
648 distributed on 27 Aug. 1998 15:13:18 (v03.n287) and retracted on 28
Aug.
1998 03:59:40 (v03.n288), followed by my oops statement on 29 Aug. 1998
16:47:57
(v03.n204).

would indicate the case of i) that I had only recently read the message
from 28
Aug. 1998 14:22:40 and in the case of ii) that I had not read the
retraction
message from 28 Aug. 1998 03:59:40, at the time I posted my replies
(i.e. 29
Aug. 1998 ~13:00).

While it is possible I downloaded my mail between 26th and 28th of
August
without sending mail, it is highly unlikely I silently downloaded after
3:52:29
(when Weis joined) but before 3:59:40 (the time of the CFJ retraction I
didn't
know about) on the 28th of August.

Thus it is impossible (or nearly so) for me to have harfed Weishaupt's
possessions on the 28th of August simply because I had not
downloaded/read my
mail at that time.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:20:21 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 659 (FALSE) (upheld)

Amicus Draconis have upheld the original verdict of FALSE.
Penalty to appealer is 5 points.

Call for Judgement 659 - September 10, 1998
Subject: Literature Translation
Initiator: Mr. Tambourine Man (sent Sep 10 1998, 18:35 Acka)
Judge: JT (selected Sep 11 1998, 11:30 Acka)
Judgement: FALSE (promulgated Sep 12 1998, 04:02 Acka)
Appellant: saaremaa (at Sep 12 1998, 11:45 Acka)
1st Cortex: Cortez's Courtly Cortege (Alfvaen and Calvin N Hobbes)
 (assigned Sep 12 1998, 11:53 Acka) (too slow)
2nd Cortex: Amicus Draconis (*Alfvaen and Vynd) 
 (selected Oct 18 1998, 11:17 Acka)
Judgement: FALSE (upheld)

Statement:
An accepted proposal containing a translation of part of a work of Homer
which was of sufficient length and cited as being by Homer could cause
it's proposer to score points due to the rule "Literature" if it were
accepted.

Initiator's Reasoning:
I think this should be judged FALSE.Whilst a translation of a foreign
artist bears many things in comon with the works of the foreign artist,
that artist was not actually the author and hence the literature rule
should not apply..

Judge's Reasoning:
Reasoning:
Rule 210 is quite clear that literature must:

>A) The proposal must contain in its body [as opposed to title] one or
>   more quotations from sources listed on the Literature list. This
>   quotation must be an exact copy of words found in, written, uttered or
>   otherwise communicated by the source, enclosed in quotation
>   marks. It must contain one of the following:

In order for a quote of literature by Homer to be valid, it must be an
*exact copy* of words written, uttered or otherwise communicated by the
source.

Quoting from a translation of that source, however accurate the
translation is, is not an exact copy of words written, uttered or
otherwise communicated by the source, but rather of words written, uttered
or otherwise communicated by the translator.  Unless that translator were
also on the Literature list, or unless the specific translation were on
the Literature list, then that quote would not be literature.

Appealer's Comments:

The key sentence for one line of reasoning, the line of reasoning the
Judge apparently took, is:

> This quotation must be an exact copy of words found in, written,
> uttered or otherwise communicated by the source,

What is the correct rendering of "source"?  It is well known that in the
modern process of publishing literature, the author's manuscript is
edited by a staff editor before going into print.  In some cases the
author has final say, but in some cases the editorial staff has final say,
and for a given work or artist, it will not be generally well known who
had final say.  This also applies to recorded music where producers add
vocals to the final mix, etc.  What is the "source" in this case.  The
original author's manuscript, or the staff editor's "translation" of that?
Where is the line drawn between translation and editorial rework?  What
basis does the rule give us to draw the line anywhere?

Moreover, different printings or editions of the same work will have
different texts.  Examples include *The Stand* by Stephen King and The
Bible, Old and New Testaments.  What is the "source" in these examples?
If *any* is the answer, than *any* publication of a Homeric quote should
qualify.  It is also known, at least in the case of Plato, that scribes
at the time changed his work during transcription, even though the
language
did not change.  Could this have happened with Homer?  Who knows?  How
do we find the "source"?

We could just say that the quote must be in the original language, and
forget all these other details, but I do not see where the rules *force*
us to do this, but at the same time *allow* us to ignore the other similar
problems.

I feel that the Judge took an extremely narrow rendering of the word
"source", where a broader, more reasonable rendering is both preferable,
customary, and supported by the rule.  Which leads to the second line of
reasoning:

> All such proofs are adjudicated by the scorekeeper, unless the scorekeeper
> submitted the proposal, in which case it should be adjudicated by the
> President.

The rule provides a mechanism for judgement.  Therefore, until the
scorekeeper rules on the matter, we cannot decide this CFJ.  The rule
empowers, indeed mandates, that the scorekeeper determine whether or not
an alleged Homeric quote is indeed Literature.  Since the word "source"
is open to the problems outlined above and in other public posts, there
is no judgement-free method of determining whether an alleged quote
qualifies as Literature without the scorekeeper's opinion, which I don't
believe we have in this case, therefore a verdict of INVALID or UNDECIDED
is indicated for this CFJ.  (Even if there was a judgement-free method,
it would still be adjudicated by the scorekeeper, for as far as I can see,
could rule by whim if e wanted to).

Cortex's Reasoning:

We have determined (much to the chagrin of a certain Justice) that it was
not possible for any proposal to be considered Literature under the rules
as they existed when this CFJ was submited. In order for a quote to count
as Literature, Rule 210 requires that it be followed by a citation. That
citation is likewise required to appear within square, or note, brackets.

Rule 340 tells us that text appearing within square brackets is a note,
and has no semantic meaning. This means that any attempt at providing a
citation in accordance with Rule 210 will fail, because the semantically
meaningless text included within the brackets does not specify the source
of the quote.

saaremaa argues in his appeal that the Scorekeeper can arbitrarily decide
to rule proposals to be Lierature. If this were true, no citation would be
necessary for proposals to be considered Literature. In this case, the
verdict for this CFJ would be TRUE, because the statement only asks if the
proposal it describes *could* be considered Literature. However, the
Scorekeeper's powers of decision are actually limited in several ways.
One limitation is that the Scorekeeper is only called upon to judge the
"proofs" that a given quote is, or isn't, Literature. Thus the Scorekeeper
could not determine that a proposal which contained no quotes was
Literature. In this case, the CFJ specifies that the proposal contains
some quote(s). However, The section of Rule 210 which gives the
Scorekeeper the power to determine a quote's "literatureness" comes
before the section of Rule 210 which requires that all quotes be followed
by a proper citation. This being the case, intrarule precedence tells us
that a quote must be properly cited for it to be considered Literature and
cause the point gain described in the statement.

Thus, for a proposal to be considered Literature, and to generate the
scoring effects described in the statement of this CFJ, it must have a
properly cited quote. As providing a proper citation is impossible, it is
not possible for any proposal to be Literature. We therefore uphold the
original verdict of FALSE on this CFJ. Let the appealer be penalized 5
points.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 13:40:18 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Elder Nomination, Breadbox

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
>Which day is breadbox's day?
>

August 20th.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 13:57:11 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: If E can do it so can I.

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Bryan Federico wrote:
>>On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Matt Miller wrote:
>>>I convert 15 points into an Otzma Card of type Arctic Explorer to be
>>>created in my possesion.
>>
>>Since we aren't at total instance limit, and since there are less than 
>5
>>Artic Explorer cards in circulation, this works.
>>
>>--JT
>>
>I convert 45 points into 2 OC training Regimes and 1 OC Arctic Explorer

These broke no instance limits, so they worked.
Arctic Explorers are now at their instance limit.
There are 98 total Otzma Cards in existance.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 13:59:29 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 687 (TRUE)

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
>K 2 has judged this TRUE.
>
>Call for Judgement 687 - November 5, 1998
>Subject: Slakko Cycle Win By Points CFJ
>Initiator: Slakko (sent 5 Nov 1998, 19:06 Acka)
>Judge: K 2 (chosen 7 Nov 1998, 05:49 Acka)
>Judgement: TRUE

If this is unappealed, a cycle will end on
       Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:17:19 -0500

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 14:56:00 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: If E can do it so can I.

> These broke no instance limits, so they worked.
> Arctic Explorers are now at their instance limit.
> There are 98 total Otzma Cards in existance.

I guess I'll read a page from my Spell Book of Chorg, then, just to revert
to more traditional methods...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Jane Siberry:Extra Executives
Current Book--Tom Wolfe:The Bonfire of The Vanities
'Why do you hang around with that sadist?'  'Beats me!'

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 15:15:30 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: SBoC Random Otzma Card determination

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: JT <[email-masked]>
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Player: Alfvaen
# This is determining the Otzma Card aquired for reading a page in
# A Spellbook of Chorg.
# The determination is made according to the following table
# A value of - means that card cannot be selected for some reason.
#  1    Go Fish         
#  2    Map Shard
#  -    Summon Tornado          (at max instance)
#  3    Share My Expenses
#  -    Share Your Income       (at max instance)
#  4    Swinging Sale
#  -    Tactical Retreat        (at max instance)
#  5    Paratroop
#  -    Foul Fowl               (at max instance)
#  6    Truthseeker
#  -    Fix My Gadget           (at max instance)
#  7    Art Thief
#  8    Skeleton Key
#  -    Artic Explorer          (at max instance)
#  -    Lay Off!                (at max instance)
#  9    Founder's Boon
# 10    Roulette Wheel
# 11    Training Regime
#  -    Shield                  (at max instance)
#  -    ACME InstaGadget        (at max instance)
# 12    Felicitous Populi
# 13   Enslavement

No. of sides on every die:     13
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

      5

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/

=================================================
             ** NewHoo Web Directory **
    An army of editors surfing the web for you!
               http://www.NewHoo.com/
=================================================

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Sun Nov  8 12:14:54 1998
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id MAB08275 for <[email-masked]>; Sun, 8 Nov 1998 12:14:54 -0800
> Received: from herne.dragoncat.net(207.54.31.1) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma008269; Sun Nov  8 12:14:50 1998
> Received: from localhost (jtraub@localhost)
>       by dragoncat.net (8.8.7/8.8.7) with SMTP id MAA00761
>       for <[email-masked]>; Sun, 8 Nov 1998 12:14:48 -0800
> Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 12:14:47 -0800 (PST)
> From: JT <[email-masked]>
> To: Dice Server <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Chorg
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #T Acka: SBoC Random Otzma Card determination
> #S 13
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> 
> #C Player: Alfvaen
> #C This is determining the Otzma Card aquired for reading a page in
> #C A Spellbook of Chorg.
> #C The determination is made according to the following table
> #C A value of - means that card cannot be selected for some reason.
> #C
> #C  1 Go Fish         
> #C  2 Map Shard
> #C  - Summon Tornado          (at max instance)
> #C  3 Share My Expenses
> #C  - Share Your Income       (at max instance)
> #C  4 Swinging Sale
> #C  - Tactical Retreat        (at max instance)
> #C  5 Paratroop
> #C  - Foul Fowl               (at max instance)
> #C  6 Truthseeker
> #C  - Fix My Gadget           (at max instance)
> #C  7 Art Thief
> #C  8 Skeleton Key
> #C  - Artic Explorer          (at max instance)
> #C  - Lay Off!                (at max instance)
> #C  9 Founder's Boon
> #C 10 Roulette Wheel
> #C 11 Training Regime
> #C  - Shield                  (at max instance)
> #C  - ACME InstaGadget        (at max instance)
> #C 12 Felicitous Populi
> #C 13   Enslavement
> 
> 
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> [ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
> [ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> 

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNkX7xj8NitsTFjcVAQFI3AP+J50o6aT7adLh1mC3oHe3u9Tu+pjl8OJG
24m90CTxSOAUmuweQIuUMCnUEvExB8ozw2qtVRhuh3CWehr8eKnM9L7ziJ/bADBc
QP/Ulld2p5s6nXx1e6fAaVEUKnduo9YL8MsfI4+Z08MEg8wGzjHb/sm0CUFIwcHb
4JzRyDB0tsg=
=d59X
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 15:20:33 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: If E can do it so can I.

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
>> These broke no instance limits, so they worked.
>> Arctic Explorers are now at their instance limit.
>> There are 98 total Otzma Cards in existance.
>
>I guess I'll read a page from my Spell Book of Chorg, then, just to revert
>to more traditional methods...

I sent the determination, then remembered that

>In order to fully specify this action, the player must describe a
>pyrotechnic display by which the page is destroyed. This action fails if
>any other page has been read from the same book within the last calendar
>week.

So that determination didn't actually occur.
(sorry alfvaen)

Anyone else in favor of removing persnickety requirements like that from
the rules.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 15:36:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: If E can do it so can I.

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, JT wrote:

> >In order to fully specify this action, the player must describe a
> >pyrotechnic display by which the page is destroyed. This action fails if
> >any other page has been read from the same book within the last calendar
> >week.
> 

Only if they remain as "encouraged actions".. we've gotten so bland.

> So that determination didn't actually occur.
> (sorry alfvaen)
> 
> Anyone else in favor of removing persnickety requirements like that from
> the rules.
> 
> --JT
> 
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> [ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
> [ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 21:10:15 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: IP against /dev/joe for Senator

The impeachment paper's voting period ended at Nov 8, 1998 21:07:06 Acka
time.

The following were the votes cast:
YES:
IdiotBoy
Wild Card
Alfvaen
two-star
K 2
Vynd
Fortunato
ThinMan
The Green Ripper

NO:
JT
Studge
Calvin N Hobbes
A Mean Hat.
R-Attila the Farce
Rex Mundi
Gromit

This Impeachment paper failed as less than 1/2 of all active players voted
YES.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 21:14:10 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: IP against /dev/joe for Senator

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, JT wrote:
>This Impeachment paper failed as less than 1/2 of all active players voted
>YES.

I forgot to mention that the initiator (Wild Card) loses 10 points for
this failed IP.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 21:30:46 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: IP against Studge

This Impeachment Paper ended at 21:28:48 Acka time.

The votes were
YES:
IdiotBoy
Wild Card
Vynd
Alfvaen
two-star
K 2
Fortunato
ThinMan
The Green Ripper

NO:
JT
/dev/joe
Calvin N Hobbes
A Mean Hat.
R-Attila the Farce
Rex Mundi
Gromit

This Impeachement Paper fails because less than 1/2 the active Players
voted YES.

The initiator (IdiotBoy) is penalized 10 points.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 21:54:46 -0500 (EST)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: IP against Studge

Bring on the Scaremonger!

IB

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 22:17:51 -0500 (EST)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: IP against Studge

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, JT wrote:

> This Impeachment Paper ended at 21:28:48 Acka time.
> 
> The votes were
> YES:
> IdiotBoy
> Wild Card
> Vynd
> Alfvaen
> two-star
> K 2
> Fortunato
> ThinMan
> The Green Ripper
> 
> NO:
> JT
> /dev/joe
> Calvin N Hobbes
> A Mean Hat.
> R-Attila the Farce
> Rex Mundi
> Gromit
> 
> This Impeachement Paper fails because less than 1/2 the active Players
> voted YES.
> 
> The initiator (IdiotBoy) is penalized 10 points.
> 
> --JT

Well. I think we have amply proben that the Impeachment process is just as
big a joke as everyone always thought it would be. Thank you gentlemen,
you can stop your scam now, our work here is done.

Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 22:40:27 -0500 (EST)
From: Mueller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Attention SYI holders

I give all my A$ to /dev/joe.

Studge

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 23:35:09 -0500 (EST)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: sharing my wealth

I turn the following trinkets into $A:
Easy as Easy can Be... or is it? (Value: A$2) 
AJ is all my Fault (Value: A$10) 
Sponsored by Studge #2 (Value: A$10) 
Yam #1 (Value: A$1) 
Petals Enhance the Rose (Value: A$1) 
Malenkai's Gold Coin #57 (Value: A$1) 

I donate the following antiquities to the museum:

Crystal Grapefruit (Value: A$78) 
Snail Shell (Value: A$30) 

I bury It's not that bad, really, it's not (Value: A$3) with the following
map:

This treasure will be found by the first player other than Robert Sevin to
have a Harf Score at least 5 points higher than that of A Mean Hat.

I give all my A$ (only about A$500) to /dev/joe
- --A Mean Hat.

Crazy French Scotsman -- Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master  --  Really
Weird --  Rule-Harfer -- Warrior Caste

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 23:50:55 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: sharing my wealth

> I give all my A$ (only about A$500) to /dev/joe

This is too generous a gift; I give A$2 to A Mean Hat.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #399
*******************************