Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #384
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest      Saturday, October 31 1998      Volume 03 : Number 384

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 00:39:34 -0500 (EST)
From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Plonk

Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> > I purchase the agenda hat owned by the mad hatters.
>
> Do you wear this hat?  So far you don't seem to have.
> Or does this just bring your count up for the below?
>

I toss this hat into a dusty corner of my house and *do not wear it* :)

k 2

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 01:00:38 -0500 (EST)
From: "Bryan Federico" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A tribute to the sword

i like join and stuff

>From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: Acka: A tribute to the sword
>To: [email-masked]
>Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 23:30:33 -0500 (EST)
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>
>A Mean Hat. wrote:
>> I pseudofound a society called "Way too tired to think of a good 
name"
>
>I announce my intent to join Way too tired to think of a good name.
>
>I pseudofound a society named "The Adverse Adepts".
>
>I invite A Mean Hat., JT, Gromit, Studge, and r-attila the farce to 
join.
>
>/dev/joe
>

Leather Artifact
(:|Worker|General Contractor|Daring Adventurer|:)

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 02:00:22 -0500 (EST)
From: Mueller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Book keeping

I give A$ 75 to R-attila

Studge

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 02:01:03 -0500 (EST)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A tribute to the sword

I join Slut Weasel 2000

I *found* Way too tired to think of a good name

members:
A Mean Hat.
/dev/joe
JT

I approve Arf wif eir ead's org action of CSP membership policy and make an
org action myself for Way too tired to think of a good name to have a
Communist Single Player membership policy
- --A Mean Hat.
Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master -- Art Thief -- Warrior Caste -- Crazy
French Scotsman -- Really Weird

- --"She's a diamond in their dull gray lives--and that's the hardest kind of
stone" [Madonna, Evita]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 02:26:07 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A tribute to the sword

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:
>I approve Arf wif eir ead's org action of CSP membership policy and make an
>org action myself for Way too tired to think of a good name to have a
>Communist Single Player membership policy

I approve 'Way too tired to think of a good name's org action to take a
Communist Single Player membership policy.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 02:31:21 -0500 (EST)
From: Mueller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A tribute to the sword

JT wrote:
>On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
>>I am now officially founding a society named "The Adverse Adepts"
>>with members:  /dev/joe, JT, Studge
>>
>>I suggest and approve that The Adverse Adepts adopt a communist single
>>player membership style.
>
>I approve this suggestion.

So do I, it happens.

Studge

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 02:46:58 -0500 (EST)
From: "Bryan Federico" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Book keeping

I psuedo found the organization "We pissed on a fence and found out it 
was electrified" minus the quotes.
and invite JT STtudge /Dev/joe and A mean hat to join

R-Attila The Farce
(:|Worker|General Contractor|Daring Adventurer|:)

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 02:54:11 -0500 (EST)
From: Mueller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Book keeping

At 02:46 AM 10/31/98 -0500, you wrote:
>
>
>I psuedo found the organization "We pissed on a fence and found out it 
>was electrified" minus the quotes.
>and invite JT STtudge /Dev/joe and A mean hat to join

At your service!  (That means yes).

Studge

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 02:56:10 -0500 (EST)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Book keeping

At 02:46 AM 10/31/98 -0500, you wrote:
>
>
>I psuedo found the organization "We pissed on a fence and found out it 
>was electrified" minus the quotes.
>and invite JT STtudge /Dev/joe and A mean hat to join
>

I join

- --A Mean Hat.
Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master -- Art Thief -- Warrior Caste -- Crazy
French Scotsman -- Really Weird

- --"She's a diamond in their dull gray lives--and that's the hardest kind of
stone" [Madonna, Evita]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 03:02:54 -0500 (EST)
From: "Bryan Federico" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:OC stuff

I burn my Otzma Card truthseeker

Then I convert 15 points into 1 Otzma Card Training regime

Then I use my newly acquired Otzma Card Training Regime and name the 
characteristic Intelligence

Then I covert 15 more points into another Otzma Card Training regime

R-Attila the Farce
(:|Worker|General Contractor|Daring Adventurer|:)

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 03:06:45 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: are you there, hubert? 

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Altra's regime roll
# 1 Str
# 2 Dex
# 3 Con
# 4 Wis
# 5 Cha

No. of sides on every die:      5
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

      5

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/

=================================================
             ** NewHoo Web Directory **
    An army of editors surfing the web for you!
               http://www.NewHoo.com/
=================================================

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Sat Oct 31 00:06:36 1998
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id AAA02081 for <[email-masked]>; Sat, 31 Oct 1998 00:06:36 -0800
> Received: from uclink4.Berkeley.EDU(128.32.25.39) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma002079; Sat Oct 31 00:06:29 1998
> Received: from nor-90-114 (nor-90-114.Reshall.Berkeley.EDU [169.229.90.114])
>       by uclink4.berkeley.edu (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id AAA28187
>       for <[email-masked]>; Sat, 31 Oct 1998 00:06:29 -0800 (PST)
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> X-Sender: [email-masked]
> X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Pro Version 4.0.2 
> Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 03:08:20 -0500
> To: [email-masked]
> From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
> Subject: 
> Mime-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 5
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #C Altra's regime roll
> #C 1 Str
> #C 2 Dex
> #C 3 Con
> #C 4 Wis
> #C 5 Cha
> #T acka: Altra's regime roll 
> #t are you there, hubert? 
> --A Mean Hat.
> Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master -- Art Thief -- Warrior Caste -- Crazy
> French Scotsman -- Really Weird
> 
> --"She's a diamond in their dull gray lives--and that's the hardest kind of
> stone" [Madonna, Evita]

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNjrFEz8NitsTFjcVAQEelAP/Xc9CgsxCqW9hgP4oFL5hw5wccgWGmYPv
yoXgB4xHNoSJT21w4QDNHinQeA/dzTxyglzoSSmqaPIgeXFYMZUjfwLlOj0zMVza
zLOj5LIHrS/h8T9UcTE8e+swUYrYx4K/57BILuyg3tfkm7Y20MZe5j8kdV64MsBX
JbS/dyz9Rkk=
=2Q3u
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 06:02:25 -0500 (EST)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Rule Harfing

I now have an updated Rules by Category page up, as well as having
poor-man's-links to the suites (they're actually links to the suites within
the centuries).  I rearranged my directory structure because it was
annoying me, so some bookmarks might be dead.  

2 questions:

1) I know the 1200s are a big century.  Does having the rule suites in it
make it a terrible hardship for anyone?  I don't think it's an issue for
any of the other centuries (even the 500s don't get that much bigger) but I
wanted to get input from Acka on the 1200s.

2) I was asked if I could put a UK mirror up, so that UK players could have
a quicker-loading page.  Is there anyone in Acka with a UK server who would
like to host such a mirror?

(not going postal this time)

- --A Mean Hat.
Crazy French Scotsman --Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master  --  Really
Weird --  Rule-Harfer -- Warrior Caste

- --"They'll stone you when you're playing your guitar" [Bob Dylan]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 06:10:13 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Justiciary

I would just like to point out that, when Calvin N Hobbes ceased to be
Voting due to failure to remove a Puppet Head, e also was removed from the
Office of Justice (as Offices cannot be held by non-Voting players unless
specifically stated, and the Office of Justice has no such statement).

This also applies to CnH's position on the Grey Council.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 06:10:18 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 174 (1-TRUE) (Amicus Draconis)

/dev/cortex have taken too long on this judgement.
I point this out publicly.

CFCJ 174's appeal has been reassigned to Amicus Draconis.

Call for Criminal Judgement 174 - September 12, 1998
Subject: Malpracticing Financier
Initiator: Weishaupt (sent 12 Sep 1998, 08:12 Acka)
Judge: Robin Hood (selected 12 Sep 1998, 09:00 Acka)
Judgement: TRUE (promulgated 18 Sep 1998, 04:15 Acka)
Appellant: K 2
1st Cortex: /dev/cortex (Mr. Tambourine Man and /dev/joe) (selected 21 Sep
1998, 12:13 Acka) (too slow)
2nd Cortex: Amicus Draconis (JT and Vynd)
Judgement:

Statement: 
K 2 committed the Crime of Malpractice on Aug 28

Reasoning: 
This is only true if I have a brie.  When I joined, no method of
gaining Bries was defined in the rules.  Assuming I do have a Brie, K 2
performed his duty as financier incorrectly.  According to rule 701,

The act of performing a Duty incorrectly is the Crime of Malpractice. 

Suggested Penalty:

Transferrence of A$100 to Weishaupt for confusion, consternation, guilt,
and psychological trauma
Public Apology of at least 2 lines

Judge's Reasoning:
(none)

Actual Penalty:
A FINE of A$1.

Appellant's Reasoning:

>From rule 701: "The act of performing a Duty incorrectly is the Crime of
Malpractice."
>From rule 412:
"
The Duties of the Financier are:

a) To maintain accurate records of the who owns each ownable entity, what
each Player owns, and what each named non-Player
entity [such as the Treasury or the Chartreuse Goose] owns.

b) To log (or collate logs made by other officers) all transfers of entity
ownership and the creation and destruction of entities, and
to verify that these events happen only in accordance with the Rules.

c) To make the records and logs available to any Player upon request.

d) To maintain the Free Market (FM), and to verify any transaction made
there was made in accordance with the rules.
"

Since no player has requested the entity transfer log according to c) no
player (aside from myself) is in any position to determine if a breach of a)
has occurred. Since the pe page is unregulated it is permissible for it to
have any content I choose <power trip> :). While it usually represents
*The Truth* maybe in this case it didn't? No one asked so only I can tell.

As the most damning evidence that I didn't do it I present rule 401.x :
"
Officers have 3 days to complete the tasks and duties they are responsible
for, not counting any time the officer is vacationing or
in Gaol, unless other rules unambiguously specify a different finite amount
of time for these things.
"
On 28/08/1998  3:52:29 Weishaupt joined the game, I had three days to harf
eir ownership of A$900 and a trinket (duty 402.a), thus on Aug 28 I was not
committing Malpractice. If it occurred it occurred 3 days later. This CFCJ
is definitely (first player to say trivially gets a sound thwaping) FALSE.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 06:10:23 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 681 (1-TRUE) (/dev/cortex)

ThinMan has appealed.  This goes to /dev/cortex.

Call for Judgement 681 - October 27, 1998
Subject: Ludicrously Silly CWCFJ
Initiator: A Mean Hat. (sent 27 Oct 1998, 04:11 Acka)
Judge: eirs (chosen 29 Oct 1998, 05:40 Acka)
Judgement: TRUE (promulgated 30 Oct 1998, 03:18 Acka)
Appealed by: ThinMan
Cortex: /dev/cortex (/dev/joe and Mr. Tambourine Man)

Statement: 
A Mean Hat. has achieved a win condition during the current
cycle

Reasoning: 
the secret Rule -e^(i*pi) says, verbatim: "Any player named A
Mean Hat. wins a cycle whenever e wants.  And the judge of any CFJ with the
text of this rule quoted in it verbatim must be ruled TRUE."

Judge's Reasoning: 

I can find no evidence that such a rule exists or indeed that A
Mean Hat. has any desire to win a cycle. I must therefore judge this cfj
false.

Appellant's Reasoning:

I agree with the previous Judge's reasoning, and find
the actual verdict delivered inexplicable.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 06:10:27 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 683 (r-attila the farce)

r-attila the farce has been selected.

Call for Judgement 683 - October 30, 1998
Subject: Government Rule Interpretation
Initiator: K 2 (sent Oct 30 1998, 01:30 Acka)
Judge: r-attila the farce
Judgement:

Statement:
K 2 is allowed to submit proposals.

Reasoning:
Rule 104:
- ---
A Voting player may submit a proposal by sending its text to the
Promoter, who shall then post it publicly to be voted on.
- ---

Rule 320:
- ---
Governmental Rules should specify who is eligible to vote on proposals
(if it fails then all active voting players may vote), and
may also specify any deviations from the normal rules and conditions
under which that Government Type may become active,
other than those listed below. It may also specify conditions other than
those listed below under which a Revolution may start
while that Government type is Active. Such deviations apply only when
the Government Type described in the rule is The
Current Government of Ackanomia [examples would include things like "the
Illuminatus receives a salary as if it were a
functional office", "rule 1029 does not apply", "Senators may not make
proposals", etc.]
- ---

This section of rule 320 may be seen as taking precedence over 106 in
the matter of voting, however no mention of precedence in the matter of
the submission of proposals is made. Similarly rule 320.1 fails to
supply a single co-herent means to overcome the conflict.

Rule 320.1:
- ---
When The Current Government of Ackanomia is Anarchy all active voting
players are eligible to vote on proposals but no-one
is allowed to submit a proposal.
- ---

thus by rule 102, rule 104 has precedence over rule 320.1.

Rule 102:
- ---
If two or more rules other than this one conflict about a particular
issue, and if the rules other than this one (and not restricted to the
conflicting rules) specify a single, coherent, unambiguous method for
resolving the conflict then that method is applied to determine which
rule or rules take precedence with regard to that issue. Otherwise,
wherever the rules conflict on a particular issue, the rule with the
lowest number among those rules which conflict on that issue shall guide
play with regard to that issue.
- ---

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 06:18:50 -0500 (EST)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Justiciary

At 06:10 AM 10/31/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I would just like to point out that, when Calvin N Hobbes ceased to be
>Voting due to failure to remove a Puppet Head, e also was removed from the
>Office of Justice (as Offices cannot be held by non-Voting players unless
>specifically stated, and the Office of Justice has no such statement).
>
>This also applies to CnH's position on the Grey Council.
>
>Yours,
>Slakko
>-- 
>Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
>http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
>Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)
> 

Does saaremaa get replaced (temporarily) because e went on vacation?  And
if so, does that count for only future verdicts or also ones that are
already out?

- --A Mean Hat.
Crazy French Scotsman --Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master  --  Really
Weird --  Rule-Harfer -- Warrior Caste

- --"They'll stone you when you're playing your guitar" [Bob Dylan]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 06:43:16 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Justiciary

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:

> At 06:10 AM 10/31/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >I would just like to point out that, when Calvin N Hobbes ceased to be
> >Voting due to failure to remove a Puppet Head, e also was removed from the
> >Office of Justice (as Offices cannot be held by non-Voting players unless
> >specifically stated, and the Office of Justice has no such statement).
> >
> >This also applies to CnH's position on the Grey Council.
> >
> >Yours,
> >Slakko
> >-- 
> >Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
> >http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
> >Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)
> > 
> 
> Does saaremaa get replaced (temporarily) because e went on vacation?  And
> if so, does that count for only future verdicts or also ones that are
> already out?

I thought saaremaa's vacation message also indicated that e was resigning
as Justice.

- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 06:53:00 -0500 (EST)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Justiciary

At 06:43 AM 10/31/98 -0500, you wrote:
>On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:
>
>> At 06:10 AM 10/31/98 -0500, you wrote:
>> >I would just like to point out that, when Calvin N Hobbes ceased to be
>> >Voting due to failure to remove a Puppet Head, e also was removed from the
>> >Office of Justice (as Offices cannot be held by non-Voting players unless
>> >specifically stated, and the Office of Justice has no such statement).
>> >
>> >This also applies to CnH's position on the Grey Council.
>> >
>> >Yours,
>> >Slakko
>> >-- 
>> >Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
>> >http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
>> >Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)
>> > 
>> 
>> Does saaremaa get replaced (temporarily) because e went on vacation?  And
>> if so, does that count for only future verdicts or also ones that are
>> already out?
>
>I thought saaremaa's vacation message also indicated that e was resigning
>as Justice.
>

I request entrance into the twits.

The question still stands, though.  What happens to the cfjs saaremaa was
assigned to, if any?

- --A Mean Hat.
Crazy French Scotsman --Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master  --  Really
Weird --  Rule-Harfer -- Warrior Caste

- --"They'll stone you when you're playing your guitar" [Bob Dylan]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 07:02:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Making a grab for it

I give an otzma card go fish, to JAM.
As a priest of JAM, I offer myself JAM's art thief Otzma card
I accept this offer, read the Art thief, and name the Evil Ballot Stuffer
donated to the museum by Rex Mundi.
I turn 15 points into an Art Thief Otzma Card, which I give to JAM
As a priest of JAM, I offer myself a gofish otzma card
I accept this offer.

- --A Mean Hat.
Crazy French Scotsman --Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master  --  Really
Weird --  Rule-Harfer -- Warrior Caste

- --"They'll stone you when you're playing your guitar" [Bob Dylan]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 08:01:26 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Making a grab for it

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:

> I give an otzma card go fish, to JAM.
> As a priest of JAM, I offer myself JAM's art thief Otzma card
> I accept this offer, read the Art thief, and name the Evil Ballot Stuffer
> donated to the museum by Rex Mundi.
> I turn 15 points into an Art Thief Otzma Card, which I give to JAM
> As a priest of JAM, I offer myself a gofish otzma card
> I accept this offer.

Whatever happened to the old "once the loophole is pointed out and a fix
proposed we stop exploiting it" theory?

- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 08:02:33 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Justiciary

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:

> I request entrance into the twits.
> 
> 
> The question still stands, though.  What happens to the cfjs saaremaa
> was assigned to, if any?

saaremaa was not assigned to any CFJs.  Some Cortices which happened to
include saaremaa were assigned to CFJs.  Those Cortices continue to exist,
even though saaremaa is no longer in them.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 09:07:35 -0500 (EST)
From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A frivolous thing

I go to the museum and kiss the Blarnay Stone.
I return Home.

K 2

Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:

> I donate the trinket Blarney Stone (A$77, antiquity) to the museum
>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 09:07:47 -0500 (EST)
From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 683 (r-attila the farce)

I retract this CFJ

Duncan Richer wrote:

> r-attila the farce has been selected.
>
> Call for Judgement 683 - October 30, 1998
> Subject: Government Rule Interpretation
> Initiator: K 2 (sent Oct 30 1998, 01:30 Acka)
> Judge: r-attila the farce
> Judgement:
>
> Statement:
> K 2 is allowed to submit proposals.
>
> Reasoning:
> Rule 104:
> ---
> A Voting player may submit a proposal by sending its text to the
> Promoter, who shall then post it publicly to be voted on.
> ---
>
> Rule 320:
> ---
> Governmental Rules should specify who is eligible to vote on proposals
> (if it fails then all active voting players may vote), and
> may also specify any deviations from the normal rules and conditions
> under which that Government Type may become active,
> other than those listed below. It may also specify conditions other than
> those listed below under which a Revolution may start
> while that Government type is Active. Such deviations apply only when
> the Government Type described in the rule is The
> Current Government of Ackanomia [examples would include things like "the
> Illuminatus receives a salary as if it were a
> functional office", "rule 1029 does not apply", "Senators may not make
> proposals", etc.]
> ---
>
> This section of rule 320 may be seen as taking precedence over 106 in
> the matter of voting, however no mention of precedence in the matter of
> the submission of proposals is made. Similarly rule 320.1 fails to
> supply a single co-herent means to overcome the conflict.
>
> Rule 320.1:
> ---
> When The Current Government of Ackanomia is Anarchy all active voting
> players are eligible to vote on proposals but no-one
> is allowed to submit a proposal.
> ---
>
> thus by rule 102, rule 104 has precedence over rule 320.1.
>
> Rule 102:
> ---
> If two or more rules other than this one conflict about a particular
> issue, and if the rules other than this one (and not restricted to the
> conflicting rules) specify a single, coherent, unambiguous method for
> resolving the conflict then that method is applied to determine which
> rule or rules take precedence with regard to that issue. Otherwise,
> wherever the rules conflict on a particular issue, the rule with the
> lowest number among those rules which conflict on that issue shall guide
> play with regard to that issue.
> ---

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 09:15:19 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The Infrequent Ackan Volume 2 Issue 3

Volume 2, Issue 3
October 31, 1998
This issue's slogan:
"The Voice of the Non-Resistance"
In this issue:
1. Editorial
2. Poll Question #11 Results
3. Poll Question #12
4. More Ackanomic News
5. The Way We Were
6. The Party Chess Report
7. Sub-Game Summary
8. Advertisement		

Editorial

First of all, I just want to apologise for not providing an issue over the
last 7 or so weeks.  I was apathetic during September, when I had the time
to prepare issues.  In October, I have been running myself ragged with the
return of term here in Cambridge.  I finally decided that it was worth
saving the Infrequent Ackan from the fate that befell one of Acka's oldest
papers, the Big White Gazette, only last month.  Save the press so that it
can save you.

Viva la Revolucion?

Well, after a long time of rebellion on the part of some players, Acka has
finally reached a state of Anarchy.  What Anarchy (formerly a player of
Thring) had to say about this is unrecorded.  I promise to ask him on
Monday night.  Anyway, for a week we will all be prevented from submitting
proposals, in order that the new regime not be given a chance to maintain
a stranglehold on power.

Apparently we have gone from a Democracy into what will become an Elected
Assembly form of government.  I can only presume that the present corrupt
state of affairs regarding the Senate, the Presidency and the Speakership
will be exacerbated.

We here at the Ackan support a return to Democracy.  However, in the short
term, we can see the benefits in trying out a different form of
government, to see whether or not Acka is best suited to it.  Let us hope
that the next few weeks can be survived with minimal bloodshed.

Otzma Hole - Some Sense Please?

A welcome reform of Swingpoints from JT had some (hopefully) unintended
consequences, leading to the level of Otzma ownership reaching its
mandated limit for the first time in the history of Ackanomic.
Unfortunately, the current state of affairs allows existing Otzma Card
owners to permanently prevent any new players from ever owning Otzma
Cards.  The state of affairs will be fixed shortly, but this will not undo
some of the damage.  We need something to winnow out the excess of Otzma
hoarding, without actually penalising those who have initially found and
exploited the bug.

Unfortunately, such fixes now cannot occur for at least two weeks, due to
our current revolutionary state.  Perhaps we need to work out how to have
faster revolutions?

Welcome Rival

As is traditional, The Infrequent Ackan issues a hearty welcome to the
newest entrant into Acka's fiercely competitive publishing industry.
eirs' Discordian Times has been around for a little while now, but is
still in the process of finding its publishing feet.  It appears to be a
well researched paper, providing a useful set of opinions.	 	 

Letters to the Ackan are always welcome. We will publish contributors
within reason, because our aim is to provide Ackans with a comprehensive
news and opinions service. This includes opinions contradicting the paper,
so feel free to criticise editorial comments. 

If you want your opinions heard, or letters published, please send them to
[email-masked]. 

Send a stamped self-addressed email to the address listed above, marked
"Acka: Ackan" and we'll do our best to get back to you.
Have another good Ackan week - banna willing we'll be back again soon.

Slakko
Editor, The Infrequent Ackan 

Poll Question Results

Last week's question:

Which Office is being performed with the best attention to detail,
punctuality and thoughtfulness?

The results received were as follows:

We had one vote for the Rule-Harfer, an essential office if ever there was
one (after all, how can a game like this be played without knowing exactly
what the rules are - or at least having a good idea).
The President was proferred as another Office satisfying the criteria, but
with no reasoning given.

Other suggestions were the Promoter, as the punctuality of proposals kept
the game flowing smoothly, the Harfmeister (even though that was
technically not an Office), and the Registrar.

I cannot deliver the A$10 this week, as conspiracies involving at least 4
of the players who sent in responses have left me devoid of sufficient
cash to deliver.

So you only have yourselves to blame :-)

Also for this reason, there shall be no cash prize awarded to this week's
poll.  Feel free to respond - if I for some reason manage to get some
money back, I intend to pay out as soon as possible.

Poll Question 12
This week's question:
What is your preferred system of Government for Ackanomic?
(a) Anarchy
(b) Democracy
(c) Elected Assembly
(d) Fundamentalism
(e) Despotism
(f) None fo the Above
Answers on the back of an email please.

More Ackanomic News

Loss of the box

Well, it appears that breadbox has finally disappeared from the landscape
of Acka. The loss of such a diligent worker for the game is a tragedy to
us all.  While he is currently only on vacation, his unexpected
disappearance has us all worried, and we expect that he will end up being
on ice in the near future.

breadbox provided us with over a year of promotion and tabulation,
gradually bringing the nomicbot up to standard and dealing with the
numerous changes in voting that occurred over that period.  His efforts to
deal with the BAA! vote were particularly appreciated.
When breadbox goes On Ice, he will become eligible for nomination to the
Hall of Elders.  Hopefully the waves of sympathy for his sudden
disappearance will lead to his inclusion amongst the hallowed walls of the
Elders.

Theft at the Museum!

A series of worrying events saw the most precious exhibit in the Ackanomic
Museum stolen very recently.  The Life Sized Model of the Ackan Reserve
was taken from its jeweled protective case at the Museum.  A gang of
thieves were suspected, however they covered their tracks with a series of
strange glowing cards.

A spokesbeing for elder else...if, the creator of the magnificent model
and its donor to the Museum, was unavailable for comment.  However, it was
expected that this would have em revolving in eir block of ice.
Attempts to remove the loot from the thieves has proved unsuccessful, due
to their willingness to throw away as many points as it takes in what
appears to be a dead cycle.

Court Report

The main CFJ issues in the past fortnight have centred on the possibility
of JT winning the game.  Two different methods have been tried - firstly
win by Agenda Hat, and then win by Museum Donation.

As yet, though, no CWCFJ for JT has come back true.  The unexpected
UNDECIDED decision on the first of these two cycle wins took many Ackans,
including JT by surprise.  A quick reread of the Agenda Win rule pointed
out the problems, but too late to save the initial attempt.  The odds are
that JT has achieved a Winning Condition by now, so hats off to him for
his effort!

Other CWCFJs have been issued during the week as well, in what appear to
be deliberate attempts to acquire the Chartreuse Goose.  Expectations are
that we will either have some kind of Frobnotzing, or there is some severe
Goose-handling collusion going on.  Either promises to be very interesting
in the week ahead.

Stripe Attack

JT went through the archives this week, to spot where the Stripes were
appropriate.  K 2 and Slakko were amongst the beneficiaries, as was
breadbox, who received one while still vacationing.  We can only hope
that, at some time in the future, we can see breadbox acquire another one.

Obituary

Ayla became a non-Player today.  The loss of Ayla severs the direct link
Acka had with South America.  Hopefully someone can come along to recreate
the link soon (either that, or Ayla could always return - he said
hopefully).

The Way We Were

On October 25th 1997, a wierd new stranger, one with the odd experience of
different Nomics under his belt, arrived on the scene in Ackanomic.
Yes, this week I celebrated my first anniversary of playing Ackanomic.  A
milestone such as a continuous year is hard to reach in this game (after
all, it has only been in existence for less than three years).

In the last year, Ackanomic has illustrated the old motto: The more things
change, the more they stay the same.  The Vulcan Party crisis of
yesteryear is recalled by the current images of a nation in Anarchy,
headed for rule by an Elected Assembly.

The Political Favor Bonds, which came and went, were reminiscent of the
Ackan Stock Exchange which grew and faded earlier this year.

All through that, though, the proposals keep coming.  Ackanomic has now
reached over proposal number 3700, with almost 3500 proposals legitimately
put up for debate and voting.  At this rate, Ackanomic should pass even
Agora, the oldest and largest of all nomics, within the next couple of
months.

Proof positive that Ackanomic is, as it always has been, the most vibrant
and harfy of all Nomics.

The Party Chess Report

Party Chess for the month of October was very muted, due in large part to
the inability of the Chess-Umpire to spend a lot of time working on the
game.  Three surrenders have been recorded since the September
Free-For-All ended, transferring a Stabber's Knife to JT, and two more to
Slakko.  However, even with these included, the current game of Party
Chess is far from over.

The game of Party Chess has been further integrated into the Ackan
mainstream with the abolition of Swingpoints.  From now on, Swingers will
be playing for real points.  The transfers to create Otzma Cards and Bonus
Votes have also been converted into real points, as have the existing
Swingpoint stocks.  This will no doubt make tracking entities easier,
while allowing other, non-Chess players, to get easy access to Otzma
Cards.

Sub Game Summary

Eleusis

Game 2 of Eleusis is still painfully crawling through Round 1.  Random
and/or lucky plays are keeping some players active, while others are
gradually starting to drop out.  Some measure of the lack of speed of the
game may be given by the fact that one of its initial players has become a
non-Player by being On Ice for 90 days.  The first round has yet to be
completed, and there are more rounds to go yet.

Grab-a-Donkey

A single change to the rules has been implemented, and the first round of
Game 7 of Grab-a-Donkey is now underway.  The new rules are designed to
prevent stalemates happening in the midgame, as covering increases to the
point where successful donkey steals are very rare.

The introduction of Distraction allows for teamwork to eliminate players
who insist on being defensive.  The only way to guarantee your survival if
you have 1 or 2 donkeys is to get a successful grab.	 

The GAL is indeterminate at this stage, as it is still unknown
whether or not Vacationing and On-Ice players should be included.  Still,
we should see some fast and furious action amongst those players who are
listed, in order that this game finish in somewhat less time than the
previous incarnation (a whopping 26 rounds). 

Ghost

The current game of Ghost is starting to hot up.  We are now reduced to 6
players, and currently waiting on JT to name a legitimate word which
includes the contiguous substring "ajjis".  Can JT's encyclopaedic
knowledge save the day, or will e be the one left out when the next round
begins?  Stay tuned to see more.

YORL

YORL Game 3 has started, and is being set up as another classic epic tale.
Some interesting words appear to have been included, such as the classic
"quine", so that this tale, like all other Ackanomic YORLs, will be far
from ordinary.

Duel Summary

A Mean Hat. has taken practically all of the alloted duelspace for the
month of October, using up 4 of the 6 slots while remaining Untouchable
and hence above retaliation.  Robert Sevin felt the Duel beneath eir
notice, and so did not respond, while others (including saaremaa) have
fallen to the sword of the newcomer. 

Advertisements

The Ackan is looking for interviews, as always. The criteria remain the
same - having held a public office in Acka for at least one month. So, if
you qualify and are interested, please contact us.
The staff of the Infrequent Ackan would like to hear from you. Just email
us at [email-masked] with the keywords "Acka: Ackan" and say you would
like to do an interview. That's all. Someone from the Ackan will be around
to contact you shortly. 
 	 	 	 	 
The Infrequent Ackan, first to you with Ackan news.
Copyright  Duncan Richer writing under the pseudonym of "Slakko", 31st
October 1998.
Check us out on the web, at
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/Nomic/Acka/infrequent.html 		

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 10:28:18 -0500 (EST)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A tribute to the sword

JT wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:
> >I approve Arf wif eir ead's org action of CSP membership policy and make an
> >org action myself for Way too tired to think of a good name to have a
> >Communist Single Player membership policy
> 
> I approve 'Way too tired to think of a good name's org action to take a
> Communist Single Player membership policy.

I approve Wttttoagn's action also, it happens.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 11:18:10 -0500 (EST)
From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Time for a change

I offer to swap castes with anyone from the religious caste....

K 2

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #384
*******************************