Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #367
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Tuesday, October 20 1998       Volume 03 : Number 367

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 03:42:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka Paella

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, JT wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:
> >>The fact that the map relied on that is irrelevant I think>
> >>It would be like my saying:
> >>I offer A$1 to the first person to frob the friznatz.
> >>
> >>Now, anyone may in fact take this offer up, and perform this non-action.
> >>That doesn't make (I believe) the offer invalid.
> >>
> >>--JT, waiting to see who will be the first.
> >
> >I frob the friznatz seventeen times, with a lewd expression on my face.  I
> >run to the library where i play "Please Please Me" by the Beatles.  I go to
> >the steps of town hall.  I frob the fritznatz seven more times on the steps
> >of town hall.  Mother Ackans hide eir children's eyes.  I go home.
> 
> As I offered, I give A Mean Hat A$1.

Ah ha!  So your offer had no actual merit - if the offer was a legal one
then the trade would have happened already!

So you cannot base the real offer on an unregulated manipulation, as it
would render the unregulated manipulation illegal.

- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 03:51:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka Paella

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:
>> >>The fact that the map relied on that is irrelevant I think>
>> >>It would be like my saying:
>> >>I offer A$1 to the first person to frob the friznatz.
>> >>
>> >>Now, anyone may in fact take this offer up, and perform this non-action.
>> >>That doesn't make (I believe) the offer invalid.
>> >>
>> >>--JT, waiting to see who will be the first.
>> >
>> >I frob the friznatz seventeen times, with a lewd expression on my face.  I
>> >run to the library where i play "Please Please Me" by the Beatles.  I go to
>> >the steps of town hall.  I frob the fritznatz seven more times on the steps
>> >of town hall.  Mother Ackans hide eir children's eyes.  I go home.
>> 
>> As I offered, I give A Mean Hat A$1.
>
>Ah ha!  So your offer had no actual merit - if the offer was a legal one
>then the trade would have happened already!
>
>So you cannot base the real offer on an unregulated manipulation, as it
>would render the unregulated manipulation illegal.

Actually, I think what really happened is that A Mean Hat just got A$2
because I'd misremembered my wording :)

Feel free to CFJ it if you disagree.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 03:56:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka Paella

WOOHOO!!!!

I create a trinket valued at the amount of money that JT has given me since
3 minutes before I first frobbed the friznatz, called "I frobbed the
friznatz and all i got was this A$2 (or A$1)?"  with description "It is A$2
and it is not A$2"

>Actually, I think what really happened is that A Mean Hat just got A$2
>because I'd misremembered my wording :)
>
>Feel free to CFJ it if you disagree.
>
>--JT
>

- --A Mean Hat.
  Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master - Warrior Caste - Crazy French
Scotsman - Really Weird

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:10:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka Paella

At 03:56 AM 10/20/98 -0400, you wrote:
>WOOHOO!!!!
>
>I create a trinket valued at the amount of money that JT has given me since
>3 minutes before I first frobbed the friznatz, called "I frobbed the
>friznatz and all i got was this A$2 (or A$1)?"  with description "It is A$2
>and it is not A$2"
>
>>Actually, I think what really happened is that A Mean Hat just got A$2
>>because I'd misremembered my wording :)
>>
>>Feel free to CFJ it if you disagree.
>>
>>--JT
>>
>

I offer JT my agenda hats 3 and 8 in return for all of the following:
 
1) any trinket that I have created valued at over A$2
2) a haiku commending my generosity
3) A$1
4) the empty, nonenforceable promise to give me the next ephemeral gadget
that e gets from a spell book of chorg
- --A Mean Hat.
  Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master - Warrior Caste - Crazy French
Scotsman - Really Weird

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:43:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka Paella

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:
>I offer JT my agenda hats 3 and 8 in return for all of the following:
> 
>1) any trinket that I have created valued at over A$2
>2) a haiku commending my generosity
>3) A$1
>4) the empty, nonenforceable promise to give me the next ephemeral gadget
>that e gets from a spell book of chorg

I give A$1 to A Mean Hat.
I give "It's not that bad, really, it's not" worth A$3 to A Mean Hat.

I praise A Mean Hat's generosity as follows:
Noble A Mean Hat
gives to  me a worthy gift,
two Agenda Hats.

I create a trinket named "the empty, nonenforceable promise to give me 
the next ephemeral gadget that e gets from a spell book of chorg" worth
A$2 and with the description of "JT will give the next ephemeral gadget
he gets from a Spell Book of Chorg to A Mean Hat."

I give this trinket to A Mean Hat.

I also do in fact promise to give the next ephemeral gadget I get from a
Spell Book of Chorg to A Mean Hat.

I accept these two hats from A Mean Hat having met the conditions of his
offer.

It has been more than 3 days since I last played an Otzma Card.
I draw out my Otzma Card Enslavement and name A Mean Hat and Studge (who
is currently in his thrall).  This makes Studge in Thrall to me.

I note that Hat 3, Hat 8, and hat C7 are already visible.

I submit the following CFJ (customary headers are included merely for
convenience) as delimited by CWCFJ

CWCFJ

Statement:
JT has achieved a winning condition during the current cycle of Ackanomic.

Reasoning:

I own the following agenda hats:
   Hat C7 : "The player wearing this hat must be wearing at least six
            other garments, none of which are agenda hats."
   Hat  8 : "The owner of this hat is the Overlord of the owner of this
            eggplant."
   Hat  3 : "The owner of this hat has been in at least 1 duel and has not
            lost more than 2 duels."

Hat C7 has been true for quite some time as I am wearing 6 wool
sweaters, all of which are garments and none of which are agenda hats.

Hat 8 is true after the above play of the Otzma Card Enslavment.  I am now
the Overloard of Studge, and Studge is the owner of the eggplant for hat
number 8.

Hat 3 is true as I have been in more than 1 duel and have not lost more
than 2 (in fact I have not lost any).

The combined weight of these hats is 30+110+(-30) which is 110.

My score is greater than or equal to 110 being 246.

Therefore, I have achieved a winning condition and the title Agent of
KAOS.

CWCFJ

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 05:43:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: ruleharfer

I am having quite a busy week.  As such, although I have a complete,
current version of my rules on my hard drive, it's not yet on the web; it
should be by tomorrow.

currently, I have what is basically a truncated mirror of breadbox's page
up at www.ackanomic.org/rules

when I get the current rules up, they will be in the following URL pattern:
www.ackanomic.org/rules/allrules.htm
www.ackanomic.org/rules/rule000.htm
www.ackanomic.org/rules/rule100.htm
www.ackanomic.org/rules/rule200.htm
etc.

These include rule suites, so are significantly larger than breadbox's in
places.

In a few days, I should have an index page, and probably the "by-category"
page.  

Oh, and, of course, being new at this, I'll probably make some errors at
first.  Go easy on me.

- --A Mean Hat.
  Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master - Warrior Caste - Crazy French
Scotsman - Really Weird

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:03:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Harfiness

I declare Proposal 3648 Harfy.
I declare Proposal 3655 Harfy.
I declare Proposal 3661 Harfy.

Yours,
Slakko
Harfmeister (though hopefully not for long).
- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:13:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 673 (Fortunato)

K 2 went deadbeat by a matter of minutes.  E therefore loses the Robes.
Fortunato has been selected.

Call for Judgement 673 - October 1, 1998
Subject: Treasure Directions Timing
Initiator: JT (sent 1 Oct 1998, 01:54 Acka)
1st Judge: K 2 (chosen 13 Oct 1998, 06:48 Acka) (deadbeat)
2nd Judge: Fortunato
Judgement:

Statement:
JT has found treasure 170.

Reasoning:
While I realize that CFJ's are not usually the proper place to adjudicate
treasure maps, I (and two-star) were discussing this one last night on IRC
and he actually suggested that a CFJ might be warranted here.

According to the Treasure page (and two-star himself) the map to the
treasure is exactly as worded on the Treasure page (with no more or less
added to it).

That map reads:
>The Silver Shovel shall be found by the first player who has signed the
>Silver Shovel Contract to find a treasure buried by a custodian or writer
>of this map.

The question is one of ordering.
If the phrasing of the map correctly orders the two events of signing the
contract before finding the treasure then this CFJ should be ruled FALSE.

However, when I first read this map, I read it as
The first player who finds a treasure buried by the custodian of this map
who has also signed the Silver Shovel contract.  IE, that the contract
must be signed before this treasure could be found, but not necessarily
before the other treasure mentioned in the map.  In this case, or if this
is a valid and reasonable reading, then this CFJ should be judged TRUE.

- -- 
Duncan C. "Slakko" Richer - http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/
Queens' College Cambridge, 2nd Year Ph.D. (Pure Maths) - Graph Theory
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Clerk of the Court

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:14:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 676 (Slakko)

Slakko has been selected.

Call for Judgement 676 - October 20, 1998
Subject: Agenda CWCFJ
Initiator: JT (sent Oct 20 1998, 04:43 Acka)
Judge: Slakko
Judgement:

Statement:

JT has achieved a winning condition during the current cycle of Ackanomic.

Reasoning:

I own the following agenda hats:
   Hat C7 : "The player wearing this hat must be wearing at least six
            other garments, none of which are agenda hats."
   Hat  8 : "The owner of this hat is the Overlord of the owner of this
            eggplant."
   Hat  3 : "The owner of this hat has been in at least 1 duel and has not
            lost more than 2 duels."

Hat C7 has been true for quite some time as I am wearing 6 wool
sweaters, all of which are garments and none of which are agenda hats.

Hat 8 is true after the above play of the Otzma Card Enslavment.  I am now
the Overloard of Studge, and Studge is the owner of the eggplant for hat
number 8.

Hat 3 is true as I have been in more than 1 duel and have not lost more
than 2 (in fact I have not lost any).

The combined weight of these hats is 30+110+(-30) which is 110.

My score is greater than or equal to 110 being 246.

Therefore, I have achieved a winning condition and the title Agent of
KAOS.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 20:39:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Saaremaa's caste

Saaremaa has become a member of the Religious Caste.

(his caste status was in dispute, and was resolved with P3632's
acceptance)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 23:44:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Puppet Head

Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do. Touch the puppet head.

Doing another happy dance,
CnH

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #367
*******************************