Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #366
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Monday, October 19 1998       Volume 03 : Number 366

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 18:51:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Appeal for Pardon Re: Acka: Raft (JT)

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Jonathan David Amery wrote:
>On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, JT wrote:
>
>> In a surprise crackdown today, the rafting team got halfway down the river
>> and where pulled over by local Wilds authorities.   They were quickly
>> tried and sentanced to one day in Gaol each for polluting the river and
>> for breaking conservation laws.   Hopefully their time in Gaol will teach
>> them a lesson and make them more productive members of our Ackanomic
>> society.
>
> I wish to appeal this scentence, on the grounds that we were not given a
>proper trial, and that we did nothing wrong.  I address my appeal to JT,
>the President.

					Office of the President
					Department of Judicial Affairs
					Town Hall
					City, Ackanomic N1-W5

Wild Card
c/o Ackanomic Gaol
Gaol
City, Ackanomic N6-W6

Dear Mr. Wild Card,

It is with great sadness, and the interest of maintaining our excellent
relations with the territory known as the Wilds of Ackanomic that I must
deny your appeal from pardon.

My advisors assure me that they have reviewed your case thoroughly and
that the laws covering your crime (qv Governing Charter of Ackanomic,
section 812, subsection 1) were in fact broken by yourself and your
companions.   Since this Charter governs our relations with the outlying
territories as well as our own internal justice system we are bound to
uphold the findings of the authorities from the Wilds of Ackanomic.

					Sincerely,

					JT,
					President of Ackanomic

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 19:50:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Web pages back

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, JT wrote:

> With thanks to IdiotBoy who is allowing me to use space on brain.mics.net
> for my ackanomic web pages, they are now available again at
> 
> http://brain.mics.net/~jt/acka/
> 
> intead of
> 
> http://www.nausicaa.net/~jtraub/acka/
> 
> Please update any links from the nausicaa.net website to the
> brain.mics.net website.
> 
> --JT
> 

I must say that I find it greatly reassuring that our resident IdiotBoy is
taking on so much of Acka's infrastructure. :)

Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 20:03:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Web pages back

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

>I must say that I find it greatly reassuring that our resident IdiotBoy is
>taking on so much of Acka's infrastructure. :)

I'm not sure if this was sarcastic or not, but I felt better about hosting
it on brain than I would have about geocities or another free webhosting
service.  Were my dedicated link a bit swifter (it's currently a 28.8 ppp
connection) I would happily host it there :)  However, I figured for speed
of access sake I'd host it external to my own site :) (please note that I
and I hope anyone else as well) keeps off-site backups of their stuff (at
least official stuff) so that in case the web site or whatever dies, that
it can be reconstructed.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 20:07:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  Acka: Puppet Head

Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do. Touch the puppet head.

Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 20:14:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Web pages back

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, JT wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:
> 
> >I must say that I find it greatly reassuring that our resident IdiotBoy is
> >taking on so much of Acka's infrastructure. :)
> 
> I'm not sure if this was sarcastic or not, but I felt better about hosting
> it on brain than I would have about geocities or another free webhosting
> service.  Were my dedicated link a bit swifter (it's currently a 28.8 ppp
> connection) I would happily host it there :)  However, I figured for speed
> of access sake I'd host it external to my own site :) (please note that I
> and I hope anyone else as well) keeps off-site backups of their stuff (at
> least official stuff) so that in case the web site or whatever dies, that
> it can be reconstructed.
> 
> --JT
> 

I have the utmost respect for IdiotBoy, both as a person and as an idiot.
I was just commenting on the curious beauty of a place like
Ackanomic, where a self-named IdiotBoy has important jobs like hosting
websites.

Seriously, no offense intended. I like the name IdiotBoy. :) It certainly
beats Vynd. :)

Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 20:18:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mueller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Puppet Heads & Tammany

Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do. Touch the puppet head.

Studge

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 20:31:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Oops!

I realized just after I deleted about 250 messages that I have no idea
where to find a copy of any of the recently released proposals. Does such
a thing exist?

Vynd, who thinks /dev/joe is doing an excellent job, regardless

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 21:31:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Puppet Head

Memo to myself: Do the dumb things I gotta do. Touch the puppet head.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 21:31:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Oops!

> I realized just after I deleted about 250 messages that I have no idea
> where to find a copy of any of the recently released proposals. Does such
> a thing exist?
> 
> Vynd, who thinks /dev/joe is doing an excellent job, regardless

Well, you can get the ones released yesterday or earlier from the
muppetlabs FTP archive of the acka-voting list, at:

ftp://ftp.muppetlabs.com/pub/digests/acka-voting/

This is about a day behind, so todays props will be there tomorrow.

I will be working on putting up an automatically-generated web page of
proposals with simple HTML encoding (probably the text of each proposal
will just be put in <PRE> at first), and adding a command for you to
retrieve proposal text and your votes from the bot by email.  But I
wanted to get tammany, bonus votes, and party unity working before the
first props come due, and as I noted above we can depend on the FTP
archive (when muppetlabs isn't acting up, anyway).  These items and
the #silent and #retract code, and some better error-checking probably
make up as much additional code as the original bot had.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #366
*******************************