Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #333
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest     Thursday, September 24 1998     Volume 03 : Number 333

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 00:28:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: A parade

Everyone gathers in front of the town hall steps for the parade to start,
with the course of the parade layed out so that it winds all the way
through the City, out into the Wilds along the course that the rafting
trips normally take and then back into the City to wind up at the foot of
the Lonely Mountain.

Leading the parade is JT, followed very closely by /dev/joe and Anathema.
Right behind them comes Saaremaa who is carrying high quality replicas of 
the items that constituted the Jukkasjarvi Treasure. Right behind him are
all the members of the Treasure Hunting League who haven't yet been seen,
and behind them come the rest of the players of Ackanomic, Phoebe, The Fat
Lady and the Brass Monkey falling into whatever order seems most
appropriate at the time and changing slightly as the parade wears on.

As the parade passes by the river, a moment of thanksgiving is had for the
two recent successful rafting trips.

As we return to the Lonely Mountain, there is a lovely display of
fireworks setting the night ablaze, with the various fireworks displaying
ancient and harfy images from Acka's past.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 00:42:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A parade

I create a trinket called "JT is a slave to his majesty (and the will of
the people)" valued at A$1 with description "Poor JT... maneuvered by
breadbox' evil machinations into a life of indentured servitude"

As it is a forgery, it is immediately transferred to JT

- --Anathema
  Dungeon Master
  Crazy French Scotsman
  Really Weird

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 00:52:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Tornado

> >I believe that the following players, and no others, were sheltered at the
> >time of the Fall Tornado:

> >Sheltered:
> >Alfvaen (Tamson House)
> >Fortunato, rufus (Monolith)
> >Fo (Slakko's House)

> If Fo was sheltered,

> >Fo got Ethelred's score of 47.

> why did eir score change?

This was obviously a typo or something.  It is patently obvious that
Wild Card got Ethelred's score, isn't it?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Heart:Magazine
Current Book--Terry Pratchett:Men At Arms
The container, for the thing contained; the effect, for the cause.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 01:01:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Bryan Federico" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Library

I go to the Library and 
I go to *that* room

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 01:07:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Contractual Obligations

I am announcing the start of nominations for the functional office of
General Contractor.

Please reply to this mail to nominate yourself.

- --JT, President

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 01:09:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Tornado

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
>> >I believe that the following players, and no others, were sheltered at the
>> >time of the Fall Tornado:
>
>> >Sheltered:
>> >Alfvaen (Tamson House)
>> >Fortunato, rufus (Monolith)
>> >Fo (Slakko's House)
>
>> If Fo was sheltered,
>
>> >Fo got Ethelred's score of 47.
>
>> why did eir score change?
>
>This was obviously a typo or something.  It is patently obvious that
>Wild Card got Ethelred's score, isn't it?

It wasn't obvious to me Alf.  I think you need to redo the random
determination :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 01:10:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Ackanomicon Determination

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: JT <[email-masked]>
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# Player: Altra
# Ackanomicon Determination
# based on the following (using a 49 sided die)
#  1 - 15 Arcane Trivia
# 16 - 20 Vile Prophecies
# 21 - 25 Inner Workings
# 26 - 30 Arcane Lore
# 31 - 33 Terrorizing Pages
# 34 - 34 Ancient Artifact
# 35 - 36 Mutation
# 37 - 38 Dark Domain
# 39 - 40 Long Lost Treasure
# 41 - 41 Forbidden Fruit
# 42 - 42 Catastrophe
# 43 - 46 Not so Forbidden Fruit
# 47 - 47 Ancient One
# 48 - 49 Judgement Day

No. of sides on every die:     49
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

     31

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/

=================================================
             ** NewHoo Web Directory **
    An army of editors surfing the web for you!
               http://www.NewHoo.com/
=================================================

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Wed Sep 23 22:10:17 1998
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id WAA20362 for <[email-masked]>; Wed, 23 Sep 1998 22:10:17 -0700
> Received: from herne.dragoncat.net(207.54.31.1) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma020358; Wed Sep 23 22:10:10 1998
> Received: from localhost (jtraub@localhost)
>       by dragoncat.net (8.8.7/8.8.7) with SMTP id WAA02518
>       for <[email-masked]>; Wed, 23 Sep 1998 22:10:19 -0700
> Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 22:10:19 -0700 (PDT)
> From: JT <[email-masked]>
> To: Dice Server <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Nomicon
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 49
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: Ackanomicon Determination
> 
> #C Player: Altra
> #C Ackanomicon Determination
> #C based on the following (using a 49 sided die)
> #C
> #C  1 - 15 Arcane Trivia
> #C 16 - 20 Vile Prophecies
> #C 21 - 25 Inner Workings
> #C 26 - 30 Arcane Lore
> #C 31 - 33 Terrorizing Pages
> #C 34 - 34 Ancient Artifact
> #C 35 - 36 Mutation
> #C 37 - 38 Dark Domain
> #C 39 - 40 Long Lost Treasure
> #C 41 - 41 Forbidden Fruit
> #C 42 - 42 Catastrophe
> #C 43 - 46 Not so Forbidden Fruit
> #C 47 - 47 Ancient One
> #C 48 - 49 Judgement Day
> 
> 
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> [ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
> [ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> 

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNgnUOT8NitsTFjcVAQGbpwP+IdL/tKebKeKCYp25ZalaB/njqg8PSrqm
76Gh4ikf/p9np3740PjY/rmJk9wD2jHC4NYnnsWAIXBb4miMltCSYMNdM35XgwhX
uhvcf4ykOhhPd7yJUlM1sZ6NffjoYeHQ3mpKh24zjdG8hY4HWaJG9GSW2MKW3Zjv
Dvuuk8+ZRRs=
=MAwq
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 02:43:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Tornado

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, JT wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
> >> >I believe that the following players, and no others, were sheltered at the
> >> >time of the Fall Tornado:
> >
> >> >Sheltered:
> >> >Alfvaen (Tamson House)
> >> >Fortunato, rufus (Monolith)
> >> >Fo (Slakko's House)
> >
> >> If Fo was sheltered,
> >
> >> >Fo got Ethelred's score of 47.
> >
> >> why did eir score change?
> >
> >This was obviously a typo or something.  It is patently obvious that
> >Wild Card got Ethelred's score, isn't it?
> 
> It wasn't obvious to me Alf.  I think you need to redo the random
> determination :)

That wouldn't matter.  Remember the kerfuffle about Gnomesday - same
principle applies.  The determination is based on who was not Sheltered at
the time of the Tornado.  Just because it changes the scores later does
not mean that people can move in the intervening period and change whether
or not they are affected.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 03:56:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 667 (Robin Hood)

Robin Hood has been selected.

Call for Judgement 667 - September 24, 1998
Subject: Another weird rule-harfing question
Initiator: breadbox (sent 24 Sep 1998, 03:52 Acka)
Judge: Robin Hood
Judgement:

Statement:

Proposal 3601 amended Rule 594.4 ("Blueprint: Vending Machine").

Reasoning:

The amendment in question from Proposal 3601 stated:

3. Amend Rule 594.4, "Blueprint: Vending Machine" by inserting after
the second paragraph the paragraph from Rule 594.11, "Blueprint: Bonus
Vote Add-On" which begins "While an unbroken Bonus Vote Add-On is
strapped" and delete that paragraph from Rule 594.11.

However, at this point in time, there was no Rule 594.11, nor was
there any other rule with the title "Blueprint: Bonus Vote Add-On" -
because Proposal 3601 had repealed such a rule several infinitesimal
moments beforehand.

Now, had the text instead been: "... the paragraph from what had been
Rule 594.11 immediately before the adoption of this proposal ...",
this would have worked.

Alternately, had Proposal 3601 created a new Rule 594.11 inbetween the
repeal of the original and the above quoted text, then that new rule
would have unambiguously been the source.

I think that this CFJ should be False, but I would like to get a
second opinion, so to speak.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 09:17:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Tornado

> >This was obviously a typo or something.  It is patently obvious that
> >Wild Card got Ethelred's score, isn't it?

> It wasn't obvious to me Alf.  I think you need to redo the random
> determination :)

For the last several Tornados I have done it the same way:  I generate a
random permutation of all players, and then remove those who are Sheltered
from the sequence.  So I made the random determination already, it was
just a question of removing invalid ones.  If I had been Dungeonmaster
and had generated seven ability scores for a player, would you claim
that the random determination had not been done because an _extra_ number
had been generated?

Feel free to CFJ this one, I'm curious myself.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Ann Mortifee:Baptism
Current Book--Terry Pratchett:Men At Arms
People who live in magnesium houses shouldn't throw Molotov Cocktails.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 09:38:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Making good on my threats.

Brandishing my Bronze Torch (which is, of course, green), I become a
Justice.

I then graft myself to the Amicus Draconis cortex.

I return my Bronze Torch to its shoulder holster, and get back to work.

Justice Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 10:23:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: vacation

I decline any CFJs which might be assigned to me. 
I rather unexpectedly [D have to  move halfway across country, so I go
on vacation  expected date of reutn 1 nov.  I should be bacjk before then.

rufus

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 10:36:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: and the ASS saw the angel

> Anyway, now that the Tornado is over, I leave my home and go back to
> the Library.  I play(on the ASS, as the unaccompanied verb "play" will
> mean in the rest of this message), in quick succession, "American Pie"
> by Don MacLean ("The jester sang for the king and queen in a coat he'd
> borrowed from James Dean"), "Jack & Diane" by John Cougar(something
> about Jack doing "his best James Dean"), and finally "Rock On" by David
> Essex("See her shake on the movie screen...Jimmy Dean(James Dean)").

I donate A$1 to the twits, and invite anyone I have forestalled to email
me instead, limited time offer(first three only).

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--David Essex:Rock On
Current Book--Terry Pratchett:Men At Arms
Monsters don't live in dark lakes; they like to see their prey.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:42:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Tornado

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
>> It wasn't obvious to me Alf.  I think you need to redo the random
>> determination :)
>
>That wouldn't matter.  Remember the kerfuffle about Gnomesday - same
>principle applies.  The determination is based on who was not Sheltered at
>the time of the Tornado.  Just because it changes the scores later does
>not mean that people can move in the intervening period and change whether
>or not they are affected.

Actually this case is not quite so clear-cut to me.  The Gnomesday one,
only a few peoples actual boon *could* have required a random
determination.   For the Tornado, the tornado's resolution itself requires
that random determination and thus shouldn't (according to the rules) have
occured until the determination was publically knowable.   If you'll
recall, I was also unsure on the Gnomesday one, and only the fact that
some of the people required a 'secondary' determination swayed me.

I think it's similar to the rafting trip (in both cases).  The trip
doesn't actually occur until the OiCoRT determines the outcome of the trip
(break conservation laws, daring adventurers, or whatever).   The daring
adventurers (or the loss of a trinket) requires a secondary determination
to see which boon is gained or trinket is lost, but by that point the trip
has occured.

Gnomesday, I think was similar to the second phase of the rafting trip in
that, the random determination was a secondary effect of applying the
primary effect of gnomesday (which was deterministic).   The tornado
requires the random determination to be fully specified and thus I don't
believe has actually occured yet since the first random determination
contained errors.

I'm certainly willing to CFJ this since I feel my reasoning is sound.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:14:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Tornado

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, JT wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
> >> It wasn't obvious to me Alf.  I think you need to redo the random
> >> determination :)
> >
> >That wouldn't matter.  Remember the kerfuffle about Gnomesday - same
> >principle applies.  The determination is based on who was not Sheltered at
> >the time of the Tornado.  Just because it changes the scores later does
> >not mean that people can move in the intervening period and change whether
> >or not they are affected.
> 
> Actually this case is not quite so clear-cut to me.  The Gnomesday one,
> only a few peoples actual boon *could* have required a random
> determination.   For the Tornado, the tornado's resolution itself requires
> that random determination and thus shouldn't (according to the rules) have
> occured until the determination was publically knowable.   If you'll
> recall, I was also unsure on the Gnomesday one, and only the fact that
> some of the people required a 'secondary' determination swayed me.
> 
Suppose that there were three people non-Sheltered.
One decides to go in to beat the random determination.
However, as soon as they go in, the situation is reduced to two players,
and hence requires no random determination.  Since no random determination
was required, it happened at the time that the Tornado was deemed to occur
by the rules.  But at that time there were three people not Sheltered.
So what happens?
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:24:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Tornado

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
>Suppose that there were three people non-Sheltered.
>One decides to go in to beat the random determination.

This statement I disagree with.  It still (by the rules) requires a
random determination even if there is only one value that determination
can result in.  IE, it still doesn't occur until that determination is
posted.

>However, as soon as they go in, the situation is reduced to two players,
>and hence requires no random determination.  Since no random determination
>was required, it happened at the time that the Tornado was deemed to occur
>by the rules.  But at that time there were three people not Sheltered.
>So what happens?

I think that it's as I said above since the rules for a tornado require a
random selection among all eligible people.  Now I agree that talking
about a random selection of one candidate is kind of odd, but I've also
seen it done before :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:35:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 668 (K 2)

K 2 has been selected.

Call for Judgement 668 - September 24, 1998
Subject: Random Determination and Tornado
Initiator: JT (sent 24 Sep 1998, 11:59 Acka)
Judge: K 2
Judgement:

Statement:

JT is Sheltered during the most recent Tornado.

Reasoning:

Alfvaen's post of the random determination of scores at the end of the
last Tornado contained errors, and in fact had Fo who was Sheltered having
his score changed.   Alfvaen attempted to claim that this was a typo, but
I don't see that as a valid typo (Fo is obviously spelled correctly).
Since the random determination was done incorrectly and has not been
redone, the actual Tornado has not come yet since it depends (to quote
from rule 230) on a random determination for it's full specification.

I also submit the following reasoning which I presented ad-hoc in an email
discussion with Fo over this.

>>That wouldn't matter.  Remember the kerfuffle about Gnomesday - same
>>principle applies.  The determination is based on who was not Sheltered
>>at the time of the Tornado.  Just because it changes the scores later
>>does not mean that people can move in the intervening period and change
>>whether or not they are affected.
>
>Actually this case is not quite so clear-cut to me.  The Gnomesday one,
>only a few peoples actual boon *could* have required a random
>determination.   For the Tornado, the tornado's resolution itself
>requires that random determination and thus shouldn't (according to the
>rules) have occured until the determination was publically knowable.   If
>you'll recall, I was also unsure on the Gnomesday one, and only the fact
>that some of the people required a 'secondary' determination swayed me.
>
>I think it's similar to the rafting trip (in both cases).  The trip
>doesn't actually occur until the OiCoRT determines the outcome of the
>trip (break conservation laws, daring adventurers, or whatever).   The
>daring adventurers (or the loss of a trinket) requires a secondary
>determination to see which boon is gained or trinket is lost, but by that
>point the trip has occured.
>
>Gnomesday, I think was similar to the second phase of the rafting trip in
>that, the random determination was a secondary effect of applying the
>primary effect of gnomesday (which was deterministic).   The tornado
>requires the random determination to be fully specified and thus I don't
>believe has actually occured yet since the first random determination
>contained errors.

Since the correct random determination is not publically knowable, and I
moved to the Ackanomic Afterlife (a public location which Shelters all
players in it) then I am in fact now Sheltered, and will remain so as the
random determination needs to be redone.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 13:16:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ack (Nominations)

I seem to have already fallen somewhat behind on my duties, and I offer
my apologies.    I also offer my apologies specifically to JT, for
having to call a nomination I should have called.

Incidentally, where can I find a list of Grey Council members?  I know I
can do it by checking the P/E page, I was just wondering if there was a
more concise version.

A nomination has been called for one of the Religious seats on the Grey
Council.

Reply to this message to nominate yourself.

- ------------------
Aaron Keesler
Lotus Notes Administrator
Intranet Administrator
Adtran, Inc.
- ------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 13:29:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Religion

I have found religion!

I change my caste to Religious
- --Anathema
  Dungeon Master
  Crazy French Scotsman
  Really Weird

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 14:08:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: AARON KEESLER <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Twit

I give A$1 to the Twits, which I just attempted to do on acka-research.

I then give another A$1 to the Twits.

- ------------------
Aaron Keesler
Lotus Notes Administrator
Intranet Administrator
Adtran, Inc.
- ------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 14:37:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: BBT

I point my big blue thing at Mr. Tambourine Man and press the button
labelled "Energize"

This changes eir name to "Rambo R Minuteman" unless i did something wrong

- --Anathema
  Dungeon Master
  Crazy French Scotsman
  Really Weird

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 17:08:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: BBT

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:

> I point my big blue thing at Mr. Tambourine Man and press the button
> labelled "Energize"
> 
> This changes eir name to "Rambo R Minuteman" unless i did something wrong
> 

Unfortunately, I think that . is part of Mr. Tambourine Man's name.

Vynd

> 
> --Anathema
>   Dungeon Master
>   Crazy French Scotsman
>   Really Weird
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 17:21:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: BV

I use 4 swingpoints to create a bonus vote.

er, Tom.

- --
Tom Walmsley [email-masked]
http://website.lineone.net/~t.walmsley/index.html
AIM: TGW666 ICQ 2925739
Bonvolu alsendi la pordiston, lausajne estas rano en mia bideo.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 18:24:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: BBT

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> 
> 
> On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:
> 
> > I point my big blue thing at Mr. Tambourine Man and press the button
> > labelled "Energize"
> > 
> > This changes eir name to "Rambo R Minuteman" unless i did something wrong
> > 
> 
> Unfortunately, I think that . is part of Mr. Tambourine Man's name.

Spaces have been ignored in the past - witness "breadbox" "xebra bod", and
"Alfvaen" "Veal Fan".  I don't know if there is any existing game custom
on other non-alphanumeric characters.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 18:29:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Web Site Moving

Currently the main ackanomic website is maintained from my "home" PC.
This is thanks to the Ethernet cabling which runs through every College
room.  Unfortunately, at my new abode for the new academic year there is
no Ethernet cabling (College-owned Houses are not wired up).  Hence I will
no longer be able to maintain this machine as a web server.

However, I have an alternative website, which I can access easily via a
dial-up connection (which I will be obtaining ASAP, let me tell you).
This site has been used before, being the backup site when I was last on
vacation.  The site is

http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/Nomic/Acka/

Currently it is a few days behind, and I am not up to date with all my
harfing as it is.  I will endeavour to be completely up to date some time
on Monday evening (of course, most of the catching up will be done on the
weekend).  On Tuesday (or possibly Wednesday) I will be moving.  

So, from that time forward, please use the address above to check the
Ackanomic website.

I would very much appreciate it if IdiotBoy could, on late Monday, or
Tuesday/Wednesday, modify the www.ackanomic.org bounce-URL to be this new
one.

Thank you,
Fo
Web-Harfer
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 18:46:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: BBT

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
>> > This changes eir name to "Rambo R Minuteman" unless i did something wrong
>> > 
>> 
>> Unfortunately, I think that . is part of Mr. Tambourine Man's name.
>
>Spaces have been ignored in the past - witness "breadbox" "xebra bod", and
>"Alfvaen" "Veal Fan".  I don't know if there is any existing game custom
>on other non-alphanumeric characters.

Having held off on commenting until I could go and look, I note the
following definition from Merriam Websters online dictionary (www.m-w.com)

   1 : a word or phrase made by transposing the letters of another word
   or phrase

I have never seen a definition of anagram which relied on anything other
than alphabetic characters, and so I am going to harf this change as
having occured and invite anyone who disagrees to CFJ it.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 18:51:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: BBT

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, JT wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
> >> > This changes eir name to "Rambo R Minuteman" unless i did something wrong
> >> > 
> >> 
> >> Unfortunately, I think that . is part of Mr. Tambourine Man's name.
> >
> >Spaces have been ignored in the past - witness "breadbox" "xebra bod", and
> >"Alfvaen" "Veal Fan".  I don't know if there is any existing game custom
> >on other non-alphanumeric characters.
> 
> Having held off on commenting until I could go and look, I note the
> following definition from Merriam Websters online dictionary (www.m-w.com)
> 
>    1 : a word or phrase made by transposing the letters of another word
>    or phrase
> 
> I have never seen a definition of anagram which relied on anything other
> than alphabetic characters, and so I am going to harf this change as
> having occured and invite anyone who disagrees to CFJ it.

I think that it would be unfair to anagram "867-5309" to "..", even though
that fits the Merriam-Webster definition.  I would agree with your
definition in a reasonable Ackasense if you merely required that all
alphanumeric characters appear in the right frequencies.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 18:58:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: BBT

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
>> >> > This changes eir name to "Rambo R Minuteman" unless i did something wrong
>> >> > 
>> >> 
>> >> Unfortunately, I think that . is part of Mr. Tambourine Man's name.
>> >
>> >Spaces have been ignored in the past - witness "breadbox" "xebra bod", and
>> >"Alfvaen" "Veal Fan".  I don't know if there is any existing game custom
>> >on other non-alphanumeric characters.
>> 
>> Having held off on commenting until I could go and look, I note the
>> following definition from Merriam Websters online dictionary (www.m-w.com)
>> 
>>    1 : a word or phrase made by transposing the letters of another word
>>    or phrase
>> 
>> I have never seen a definition of anagram which relied on anything other
>> than alphabetic characters, and so I am going to harf this change as
>> having occured and invite anyone who disagrees to CFJ it.
>
>I think that it would be unfair to anagram "867-5309" to "..", even though
>that fits the Merriam-Webster definition.  I would agree with your
>definition in a reasonable Ackasense if you merely required that all
>alphanumeric characters appear in the right frequencies.

Heh.. Yeah.. that's certainly reasonable.  Basically, I was also looking
at the 'primitive form' rule, and figuring that if the primitive form was
an anagram it was reasonable.   I agree that anagramming 867-5309 to ..
would probably be unreasonable, but *might* be allowed under the current
rules.

I certainly believe that the change from Mr. Tambourine Man to Rambo R
Minuteman was legitimate, but again, wouldn't be adverse to seeing a CFJ
which decided it thoroughly.   I like your common sense definition though
:)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 22:37:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Error correction

I was just informed that my post with the address of the RuneMaker page
apparently said that it was
       http://www.nausicaa.net/~jtraub/acka/runemaker.htm

It really is
       http://www.nausicaa.net/~jtraub/acka/runemaker.html

(off by one letter, but that's often enough :)
Apologies to anyone who tried to connect and found they could not.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #333
*******************************