Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #300
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest      Saturday, September 5 1998      Volume 03 : Number 300

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 03:31:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : swingpoint conversion

I convert four of my swingpoints into a Bonus Vote

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 03:39:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : swingpoint conversion

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:

> I convert four of my swingpoints into a Bonus Vote

I convert four of my swingpoints into a Bonus Vote

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:01:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Nominations and such

On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Ian K. wrote:
>> >I also Proxy my support for the moment...
>> 
>> Since Koxvolio is On-Ice, I don't believe this has any effect.
>
>Yes, yes. OK- I return from vacation. Yawn, brief break.

This doesn't occur since you were not gone for the minimum of 3 days.
I'm sure someone else already noted this, but....

>I proxy my support to the Moral Kiosk.

Nope, see above.

>I go on vacation, (again) with expected return date the 5th of October.

Since you never actually returned, this doesn't happen.

- --TJ

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:05:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : swingpoint conversion

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
>On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:
>
>> I convert four of my swingpoints into a Bonus Vote
>
>I convert four of my swingpoints into a Bonus Vote

I also convert 4 of my swingpoints into a Bonus Vote.

- --TJ, jumping on a bandwagon.

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 06:12:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Nominations and such

On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Ian K. wrote:

> > >I also Proxy my support for the moment...
> > 
> > Since Koxvolio is On-Ice, I don't believe this has any effect.
> 
> Yes, yes. OK- I return from vacation. Yawn, brief break.
> 
> I proxy my support to the Moral Kiosk.
> 
> I thumb my nose at Slakko for using my own trick on me with respect to
> Chess Checking.

To be fair, no-one in HARF wanted to replace you in your job, and, if I
hadn't checked you, you would have surrendered on your next move if you
defaulted.  I was just taking advantage of that opportunity.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 06:19:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 625 (/dev/cortex)

I am pointing out that this has gone more than 30 days without a verdict.
It has been reassigned to /dev/cortex.

Call for Judgement 625 - June 20, 1998
Subject: Existence of Sin Rules
Initiator: saaremaa (sent June 20 1998, 15:06 Acka)
Judge: Fortunato (chosen June 20 1998, 18:02 Acka)
2nd Judge: IdiotBoy (deadbeat)
3rd Judge: Alfvaen
Judgement:UNDECIDED
1st Cortex: TEFKATSC (breadbox and ThinMan) (chosen Aug 02 1998, 10:55
Acka)
2nd Cortex: /dev/cortex (/dev/joe and Mr. Tambourine Man)

Statement:  There exists a rule whose title contains the string "The Deadly
Sin of Annoying the Harfers".  

Initiator's Reasoning:  
[None] 

Judge's Reasoning:
[None]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 09:23:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Backlog Clearance Announcement

I have finally gone back and updated the Lynx-friendly version of the Map
of the City.  It now has the new kaa labelling system in force.

Yours,
Slakko
Map-Harfer
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 09:29:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR 154

David Scheidt wrote:

> presumably, this creates a rule in the Miscellaneous Rule Suite?  then the
> following won't work.

Oh poot! I object to this CSR too. I then issue CSR 155 as delimited by
AARRGGHH!!

AARRGGHH!!
Append the following text to the end of rule 320:

"[Link to the governments]"

Replace the following OOPS delimited text with the following SORRY!
delimited text:

OOPS
All existing Government Types are defined by rules within this rule
suite,
and then only by rules with a name "Government Type: " where is replaced
by
a legal Ackanomic name. The name of the Government Type as specified in
that rule shall then be . Such rules, and only such rules, are known as
Governmental Rules.
OOPS

SORRY
All existing Government Types are defined by rules within this rule
suite,
and then only by rules with a name "Government Type: X" where X is
replaced
by a legal Ackanomic name. The name of the Government Type as specified
in
that rule shall then be X (as used above). Such rules, and only such
rules, are known as
Governmental Rules.
SORRY

Renmuber rule 1390.8 to 320.6

Create a new rule called "You Moron Walmsley" numbered 321.1111839547 reading
as follows:

"{{The current government of Ackanomia is set to Democracy. All votes
cast by any players since the adoption 3495 are counted. This rule takes
precedence over rule 103 (Retroactive Effects)}}"
AARRGGHH!!

MTM, CSRR.

- --
Tom Walmsley [email-masked]
http://website.lineone.net/~t.walmsley/index.html
AIM: TGW666 ICQ 2925739
Bonvolu alsendi la pordiston, lausajne estas rano en mia bideo.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 09:49:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : swingpoint conversion

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> > I convert four of my swingpoints into a Bonus Vote
> 
> I convert four of my swingpoints into a Bonus Vote
> 
I convert four of my swingpoints into a Bonus Vote

IB

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 10:53:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe

 Oh, well, here goes my entitlement to the Hubert treasure, but I'm not
passing up a chance to report a sighting of Phoebe!

 As I was reviewing the new Agenda Hats, and wishing that I had gotten
around to submitting one (anyone want to give me a hat?) I noticed a
match-box on the floor in front of my wall-screen.  Wondering what it was I
picked it up.

 The motion obviously had some effect as it opened suddenly and a steel
flea popped out:

 "Oh, are you Phoebe?"

 "Yes, obviously!" quoth she, "I can see why I haven't come to /you/
before!"

 "I gather that you impart wisdom to those who find you, and I think we
could do with some at the moment - reality and record seem to be in
frequent misalignment at the moment; and I am rather worried about
that..."

 "Well, don't be!  That is a minor problem - it'll soon fix itself.  I
come to advise Ackanomic of the greatest danger that has faced nomics for
a thousand years; and the greatest possibility."

 "And what would that be?" - H*bert, my other head interrupted.

 "Don't interrupt, I see you are no more intelligent that your friend
here; I was just getting to that - the time is close for the One Who Will
Be to manifest herself."

 "The One Who Will Be?  You mean that the ancient prophecies of Valen are
to come true?" I asked, but then I noticed that Phoebe had vanished,
having delivered here message.  I was worried by this telling, as as
Phoebe had said; whilst the fulfilling of the prophesies is a thing to be
wished for in all senses, it also portends great strife and danger.

 Unable to bring this news to my own satisfactory conclusion I wandered
over to the Library to consult the tomes that tell of the time of Valen,
arguing all the way with H*bert.

 Wild Card.

- -- 
Jonathan David Amery, Trinity Hall, CAMBRIDGE, CB2 1TJ.             #####
http://www.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/~jda23/home.html                  o__#######
Wild Card of Acka, member of SPAM, wearing a Silly Agenda Hat.   \'#######
Follower of Banna, the EBS and Odo.  Holding the Silver Key to the Vault.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 10:55:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: else...if

 I also nominate else...if for enshrinement in the Hall of Elders.

- -- 
Jonathan David Amery, Trinity Hall, CAMBRIDGE, CB2 1TJ.             #####
http://www.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/~jda23/home.html                  o__#######
Wild Card of Acka, member of SPAM, wearing a Silly Agenda Hat.   \'#######
Follower of Banna, the EBS and Odo.  Holding the Silver Key to the Vault.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 11:29:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Grey Wild Times

  I found a newspaper called the Grey Wild Times, with a purpose to report
on the doings of the Grey Council.

  I then gift the rest of my Ackadollers to the Church of the EBS, for
forgetting to use my EBS in the recent Grey Council elections.

  I grant explicit permission to all members of the Grey council to
publish articles in the Grey Wild Times.

  I will publish an issue sometime later this month.

- -- 
Jonathan David Amery, Trinity Hall, CAMBRIDGE, CB2 1TJ.             #####
http://www.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/~jda23/home.html                  o__#######
Wild Card of Acka, member of SPAM, wearing a Silly Agenda Hat.   \'#######
Follower of Banna, the EBS and Odo.  Holding the Silver Key to the Vault.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 13:43:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: swingpoints

The Church of banna gives me all the swingpoints I have in my possestion.
I convert four to a bonus vote.

rufus

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 14:02:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: swingpoints

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, David Scheidt wrote:

> The Church of banna gives me all the swingpoints I have in my possestion.
> I convert four to a bonus vote.
> 
> rufus
> 

You realize this makes very little sense.

Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 15:33:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Hall of Elders Nomination

J. M. Bear also supports the nomination of else...if for the Hall of
Elders.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 15:38:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: swingpoints

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, David Scheidt wrote:
> 
> > The Church of banna gives me all the swingpoints I have in my possestion.
> > I convert four to a bonus vote.
> 
> You realize this makes very little sense.
> 
That is opposed to the clear, coherent, and cogent fashion in which my
posts are usually constructed?
what I meant was The Church of banna gives me all the swingpoints it has
in its possesion.  I then convert four swingpoints into a bonus vote.

rufus

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 16:26:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : swingpoint conversion

From: TJ <[email-masked]>
>On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
>>On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:
>>
>>> I convert four of my swingpoints into a Bonus Vote
>>
>>I convert four of my swingpoints into a Bonus Vote
>
>I also convert 4 of my swingpoints into a Bonus Vote.
>
>--TJ, jumping on a bandwagon.
>
I convert (all) 4 of my swingpoints into a Bonus Vote.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 17:54:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 656 (Ethelred)

Ethelred has been selected.

Call for Judgement 656 - September 5, 1998
Subject: Government Type Change
Initiator: Weishaupt (sent Sep 5 1998, 17:16 Acka)
Judge: Ethelred
Judgement:

Statement:  
Any attempt to change government type will effectively result
in eternal Anarchy.

Initiator's Reasoning:  
Rule 320 (Governments Rule Suite) says in its first
paragraph: "There exists a type of unownable, named entities called
Government Types. All Government Types are either Active or Dormant. At
most one government type may be Active at any one time; if the rules cause
one to become Active and there is already an Active Government Type then
the latter will become Dormant an infinitesimal ammount [sic] of time
before the former becomes Active. If no Government type is Active then the
Government Type Anarchy (if it exists) becomes Active. The Active
Government Type is known as The Current Government of Ackanomia."

When the rules are applied to change the government then, during the
"infinitesimal ammount [sic] of time" "no Government type is Active"
causing Anarchy to become active.  At the end of Anarchy there must be a
change which causes "no Government type... ...(to be) Active".  Therefore
the Government Type will go to Anarchy, stop, go back to Anarchy, stop, go
back to Anarchy.... etc.

Fah!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 17:55:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 625 (FALSE)

/dev/cortex have judged this FALSE.

Call for Judgement 625 - June 20, 1998
Subject: Existence of Sin Rules
Initiator: saaremaa (sent June 20 1998, 15:06 Acka)
Judge: Fortunato (chosen June 20 1998, 18:02 Acka)
2nd Judge: IdiotBoy (deadbeat)
3rd Judge: Alfvaen
Judgement:UNDECIDED
1st Cortex: TEFKATSC (breadbox and ThinMan) (chosen Aug 02 1998, 10:55
Acka)
2nd Cortex: /dev/cortex (/dev/joe and Mr. Tambourine Man) (chosen Sep 5
1998, 06:19 Acka)
Judgement: FALSE

Statement:  There exists a rule whose title contains the string "The Deadly
Sin of Annoying the Harfers".  

Initiator's Reasoning:  
[None] 

Judge's Reasoning:
[None]

Cortex's Reasoning:
As was pointed out by JT on June 20th the hearing was never
properly called, because (whatever TAWKNI Eric Plumb was named then)
didn't cite the rule requiring the hearing in his message of June 8th.
[This sidesteps the wonderful issue of what happened when a rule tried to
add a rule to a rule suite that did not exist.]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 18:20:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: an observer among us

John Culbertson (email [email-masked]) has decided to join us
as an observer, and says he hopes to join the game in the future after
watching it and making sure he has an idea about what's going on before
joining the fray.

Please join me in welcoming him, and in hoping he'll decide to join us
soon.

- --TJ

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 18:24:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: an observer among us

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, JT wrote:

> John Culbertson (email [email-masked]) has decided to join us
> as an observer, and says he hopes to join the game in the future after
> watching it and making sure he has an idea about what's going on before
> joining the fray.
> 
> Please join me in welcoming him, and in hoping he'll decide to join us
> soon.

Hi there John.  Hope you enjoy the ride.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 18:24:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe (Mr. Tambourine Man)

Mr. Tambourine Man has found Phoebe's matchbox.

- --TJ, OiCoRT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 18:28:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Machine that goes *ping* (TJ)

Niccolo Flychuck did not post the truth within 7 days of finding the
machine, and is therefore deemed to be a quack.

TJ has found the machine that goes *ping*.

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 18:31:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Raft (Mr. Tambourine Man)

Mr. Tambourine Man has found the Great Raft of Ackanomic.

- --TJ

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 18:46:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Raft (Mr. Tambourine Man)

JT wrote:

> Mr. Tambourine Man has found the Great Raft of Ackanomic.

If rufus and two others want to give it a go then I'd be willing to try yet
another rafting trip.

Mr Tambo.

- --
Tom Walmsley [email-masked]
http://website.lineone.net/~t.walmsley/index.html
AIM: TGW666 ICQ 2925739
Bonvolu alsendi la pordiston, lausajne estas rano en mia bideo.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 18:49:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Raft (Mr. Tambourine Man)

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
>> Mr. Tambourine Man has found the Great Raft of Ackanomic.
>
>If rufus and two others want to give it a go then I'd be willing to try yet
>another rafting trip.

I'll give it a go.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 18:59:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Raft (Mr. Tambourine Man)

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, JT wrote:

> >> Mr. Tambourine Man has found the Great Raft of Ackanomic.
> >
> >If rufus and two others want to give it a go then I'd be willing to try yet
> >another rafting trip.
> 
> I'll give it a go.

Don't I have to wait a calender week from the last one?  I will go,
assuming one us finds k 2's treasure.

ruufs

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 19:03:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Raft (Mr. Tambourine Man)

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, David Scheidt wrote:
>> >> Mr. Tambourine Man has found the Great Raft of Ackanomic.
>> >
>> >If rufus and two others want to give it a go then I'd be willing to try yet
>> >another rafting trip.
>> 
>> I'll give it a go.
>
>Don't I have to wait a calender week from the last one?  I will go,
>assuming one us finds k 2's treasure.

Nope, it's one attempt per calendar week, so as long as the trip launches
after tomorrow at noon, we can all go :)

- --TJ

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 20:15:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: A wierd dream

So, here I was sitting around my house and contemplating my recent visit
to the vault of *that* book in the Library, and the Banana which was the
only souvenier which I had to remind me of that very strange experience.

As I sat contemplating, I heard from out in the living room the strangest
sound of whirring and grinding of gears accompanied by a soft melodic bell
sound which seemed to play the notes to some almost rememberable song.

Bestirring myself slightly, I went out to the living room, and was very
very surprised to find there an elegant machine, parts of which seemed
almost to change before my very eyes.   As I watched, slightly
mesmerized, I feel into a very deep sleep.

In my dream, I was transported back to that primordial jungle that I had
now visited twice by the auspices of the book.   As I watched in wonder
though, the strange denizens of this place no longer tried to worship me
as they had the previous times I had come here.  Instead, as I watched in
amazement, they began to perform some sort of interpretive dance to the
same almost familiar music which I had heard coming from the machine in my
house.

As I watched, the meaning of the dance came to me, and suddenly I found
myself awake, once again in my house, and with the following words
reverbrating through my head.

"IF AND ONLY IF today *** **** ******* ******* * **** **** ** ******
****** *** **** THEN the Machine That Goes *ping* shall go *ping*"

I quickly scribbled this down since it was obvious from the garbled words
above, that the meaning was already fading from my mind.

- --TJ

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 21:11:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A wierd dream

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, JT wrote:
>"IF AND ONLY IF today *** **** ******* ******* * **** **** ** ******
>****** *** **** THEN the Machine That Goes *ping* shall go *ping*"

As I looked at this scribble a short time after I made it, I realized I
had slightly misremembered the truth.

What follows below is really the truth, and I hope the scholars will
forgive me for the small lapse caused by the confusion of waking up from
such a strange dream.

IF AND ONLY IF today *** **** ** ********** ** ** ****** *** ****** ******
*** **** THEN the Machine That Goes *ping* shall go *ping*.

- --TJ

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 21:28:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: feeling spiritually unfulfilled

I leave the Church of the Evil Ballot Stuffer.  I hold no ill-will against
the church, but it seems as if it is not living up to it's initial promise
of fun and excitement.

- --TJ

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 21:31:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Hall of Elders

I offer /dev/joe the Spellbook of Chorg recently created in my possession
by the Order of the Razor Boomerangs and request that he use his shades of
Chorg to create an Otzma Card of type Map Shard.

- --TJ

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 21:34:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mueller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Raft (Mr. Tamborine Man)

Sign me up for that trip, it's got to work eventually.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 21:35:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Hall of Elders

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, JT wrote:
>I offer /dev/joe the Spellbook of Chorg recently created in my possession
>by the Order of the Razor Boomerangs and request that he use his shades of
>Chorg to create an Otzma Card of type Map Shard.

I apologize for the title to this previous message and realized it was
completely off-topic after I sent it (I'd intended to announce something
else, but realized that didn't occur until 8:20 (or so) Pacific time)

- --TJ

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 21:38:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Hall of Elders

> I offer /dev/joe the Spellbook of Chorg recently created in my possession
> by the Order of the Razor Boomerangs and request that he use his shades of
> Chorg to create an Otzma Card of type Map Shard.

I accept this book.
I am wearing the shades of chorg.
I read the next page from the spellbook I just accepted above, calling for
a Map Shard otzma card.
I offer that spell book of chorg and that otzma card Map Shard back to JT

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 21:43:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Church

I declare my intention to found a Church.

Official Name: 

Justified Ancients of Mummu

Founder:

Weishaupt

Current Members:

Weishaupt

Church Dogma:

Mummu, god of chaos, dates back to the time of primitive Ackanomians who
thought that Kansas was his face in the sky.  We joined the secret
organization known as the Illuminati, but we were kicked out over 100 years
ago.  Since then, we've constantly fought their -pseudo-anarchist,
commie-right wing fundamentalist anarcho-socio-Kapitalist fascist agenda.

Church Policy: (I know I don't have to divulge this, but here goes)

All Priests may use organizational powers or make organizational actions.
Any Priest who uses the word Hubert in any public message, other than the
Founder, will be stripped of eir priesthood.  E is still a lay member of
the church, just not a Priest.

Other:

This Church will become an actual Church when 3 other members join it.  I
invite Studge into my church (as well as TJ, now that e's free) and am open
to any other members who want in.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 21:43:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: and a hunting we shall go

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
>I accept this book.
>I am wearing the shades of chorg.
>I read the next page from the spellbook I just accepted above, calling for
>a Map Shard otzma card.
>I offer that spell book of chorg and that otzma card Map Shard back to JT

I accept the book (which was on page 1) and the Otzma Card Map Shard from
/dev/joe.

I read the Otzma Card Map shard naming Mr. Tambourine Man and treasure 122

- --TJ

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 21:44:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Church

Weishaupt wrote:
> I declare my intention to found a Church.
> 
> 
> Official Name: 
> 
> Justified Ancients of Mummu

I announce my intent to join this church.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 21:48:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Church

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
>Weishaupt wrote:
>> I declare my intention to found a Church.
>> 
>> Official Name: 
>> 
>> Justified Ancients of Mummu
>
>I announce my intent to join this church.

And Lo! in the despair of spiritual anguish, I see another church.  In the
hopes of finding here the spiritual food to ease my hunger, I humbly ask
to join this church.

- --TJ

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 21:50:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: acka: Church

> I declare my intention to found a Church.

> Justified Ancients of Mummu

I do not wish to join this Church, but I just felt inspired to go to the
Library and play "Justified & Ancient" by Tammy Wynette & The KLF on the
ASS, which I do, before returning to the Temple of Azpiazu.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Pat Benatar:True Love
Current Book--Stephen King:The Shining
A tree or shrub can grow and bloom.  I am always the same.  But I am clever.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 21:51:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Oh, Why Not

I hereby declare Weishaupt to be Funky & Stylish.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Pat Benatar:True Love
Current Book--Stephen King:The Shining
Be as redditive as it is in Ys.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 21:53:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mueller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Church, but sunday's tomorrow!

Well, its about time I began to participate more fully in the polis.  This
is as good a time as any to start joining orgs, and with so explicit an
invitation, how could I not.

I announce my intent to join Weishaupt's Church.

Studge

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 22:16:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Church

Sheesh!  All these church-joinings!  Well, I have a church now.  Sorry for
the reduncancy, but: 

Official Name: 

Justified Ancients of Mummu

Founder:

Weishaupt

Current Members:

Weishaupt
/dev/joe
TJ
Studge

Church Dogma:

Mummu, god of chaos, dates back to the time of primitive Ackanomians who
thought that Kansas was his face in the sky.  We joined the secret
organization known as the Illuminati, but we were kicked out over 100 years
ago.  Since then, we've constantly fought their -pseudo-anarchist,
commie-right wing fundamentalist anarcho-socio-Kapitalist fascist agenda.

Also, in light of eir prompt entry into my church, I ordain /dev/joe, TJ,
and Studge as Priests of Justified Ancients of Mummu.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 23:06:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: CFJ 656 (Ethelred)

>Initiator's Reasoning:  
>Rule 320 (Governments Rule Suite) says in its first
>paragraph: "There exists a type of unownable, named entities called
>Government Types. All Government Types are either Active or Dormant. At
>most one government type may be Active at any one time; if the rules cause
>one to become Active and there is already an Active Government Type then
>the latter will become Dormant an infinitesimal ammount [sic] of time
>before the former becomes Active. If no Government type is Active then the
>Government Type Anarchy (if it exists) becomes Active. The Active
>Government Type is known as The Current Government of Ackanomia."
>
>When the rules are applied to change the government then, during the
>"infinitesimal ammount [sic] of time" "no Government type is Active"
>causing Anarchy to become active.  At the end of Anarchy there must be a
>change which causes "no Government type... ...(to be) Active".  Therefore
>the Government Type will go to Anarchy, stop, go back to Anarchy, stop, go
>back to Anarchy.... etc.

Very interesting.  I think that the rule is seriously flawed anyway, and
will still be so after the current CSR (if it should be accepted), but the
point raised in this CFJ is not the one I would have started with.  This
case is not clear cut, but the problem I see with the initiator's argument
is that an infinitessimal amount of time has no duration (by definition),
thus there is no such thing as "during the infinitesimal ammount [sic] of
time."  Furthermore, there is no particular time at which no government is
active, unless one wishes to take the rather dubious position that a
government type is not active at the moment that it becomes active (if
there were, then the supposedly infinitessimal interval would be demonstrably
finite).  In my opinion, the wording of the rule does a [surprisingly] good
job of partitioning the timeline in the vicinity of the transition point into
two mutually exclusive subsets, one open and one closed.  This is precisely
what we want.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 23:28:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mueller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: You Know... For Kids

After spending hours involved in hammerings, figurings and gizmoing, I have
developed a keen new product all the kids will love.

Discovery: The Ackanomic Magic Pen.

The Ackanomic Magic Pen has three forms, and can switch them at the will of
its owner: an enormous, meter long feather with a bottle of black ink that
splatters all over, a fluorescent pink magic marker, 4 feet long, but
weighing only about a pound, or a tacky souvenir pen that says "I visited
the lonely mountain" and has a cheap picture of the lonely mountain on it.  

Exactly 3 of these gadgets may exist in Ackanomic at any given time. A
player who owns an Ackanomic Magic Pen may use the pen to make any one
change to any Ackanomic Document [such as the Literature List] excluding
rules and proposals.  This change can be adding, deleting, or replacing up
to 10 words, with whatever punctuation and line breaks are necessary for
the change to fit the format of the document.

If either of the two other penholders object to any such change within
three days after it is made, the change does not occur.

When a change is announced, the penholder pays the Standard Harfer fee and
the pen immediately goes Somewhere Else.  After the three-day period, it is
transferred to a random active player other than the player who most
recently held it and other than any player who has an Ackanomic Magic Pen.

{{Studge is given an Ackanomic Magic Pen Two random active players other
than Studge are given Ackanomic Magic Pens.  The same player may not be
given both pens}}

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #300
*******************************