Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #286
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest      Wednesday, August 26 1998      Volume 03 : Number 286

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 14:07:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Michael Pizolato" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: A test of the Emergency Broadcast System

K 2 wrote:
:Its been weeks since our scare monger has come even close to scarng me
:so..... particularly with the end of the game (err cycle) e should be
:active.....
:
:I am calling for A test of the Emergency Broadcast System. Not only is
:it a loud tone, it is also a hearing. Valid responses are "The sky is
:falling!" and "It is only a little hailstorm.". See rule 432.

It is only a little hailstorm.

Piz

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 14:14:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: M1 - *sigh*

Well, that sucked (the rafting trip that is).

I'll wait on replying to your DC salvo until tomorrow Vynd since I'm not
sure if I'm allowed to take my turn in it while in Gaol (I do not that I'm
very glad that being in Gaol doesn't cause a forfeit of the duel however).

Any OiCoRT items that occur today will also likewise not b handled by me
until tomorrow.

I pull a harmonica out from somewhere and begin playing 'JailHouse Rock'
on it, just to irritate K 2 who is in the cell across from me :)

I note that not even being dunked in the water extinguished K 2.  Man,
that's some mighty odd fire. :) :)

- --JT, Gaolhouse Rocker

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 14:48:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: ACK #9

> > Here is the clue and the burial message:
> 
> I demand a retraction of the above statement.  The clue is patently
> misspelled.  Here it is corrected:

The ACK retracts the above statement, that the text which followed the above
was the clue, when it was quite evidently misspelled, due to the inability of
the computers at the ACK to type that one !@#$%^ word properly.

/dev/joe
Editor-in-chief, the ACK

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 15:01:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: ACKA: AVPP swinger

 I have been chosen as AVPP swinger.

Robin Hood

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 15:07:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Offices: Bad Rhyme

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, K2 wrote:

> I set JT's house on fire in such away that it may never be extinguished except
> by application of a rule which _specifically_ allows for a house fire to be
> extinguished.
> 
> I ask the map harfer to note this fact.

I ask the Financier to note the fact that I have created 2000
non-entities, each with a distinct name consisting of a 10 digit prime
number.

Don't push your luck.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 16:18:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: M1 - *sigh*

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, JT wrote:

> Well, that sucked (the rafting trip that is).
> 
> I'll wait on replying to your DC salvo until tomorrow Vynd since I'm not
> sure if I'm allowed to take my turn in it while in Gaol (I do not that I'm
> very glad that being in Gaol doesn't cause a forfeit of the duel however).
> 

I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to, no.

Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 16:20:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: Offices: Bad Rhyme

I cause JT's house and K 2 to cease to be on fire, without extinguishing the
flames.  I'm not telling how I did it.  I destroy Slakko's 2000 most recently
created non-entities because he can't stop me.

I create a non-entity which can and will do any legal thing I want, but which
is only ever affected in any way by anything anyone else does if and how I
want it to be affected.  It doesn't have a name, but I'll call it George.

ThinMan
Who dabbled with R115 entities way back when it was first in vogue, when
they were called "R115 entities."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 17:11:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Offices: Bad Rhyme

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, John Bollinger wrote:

> 
> I cause JT's house and K 2 to cease to be on fire, without extinguishing the
> flames.  I'm not telling how I did it.  I destroy Slakko's 2000 most recently
> created non-entities because he can't stop me.
> 
> I create a non-entity which can and will do any legal thing I want, but which
> is only ever affected in any way by anything anyone else does if and how I
> want it to be affected.  It doesn't have a name, but I'll call it George.

I create a non-entity which I call Henry.

I create a non-entity which can fiddle with ThinMan's brain patterns so
that he wants the nameless non-entity which he calls George to allow
any attempt by me to use the non-entity Henry to destroy George to
succeed.  I use this non-entity to fiddle with ThinMan's brain patterns
thusly.  I use Harry to destroy George.

Yours,
Slakko
thinking
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 17:52:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Thrall Master

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, K2 wrote:

> We have a Thrall Master and it is Slakko.

You are in my power.

(Incidentally, I picked up this office 6 months to the day after becoming
Web-Harfer).
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 17:57:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 647 (rufus)

rufus has been selected.

Call for Judgement 647 - August 25, 1998
Subject: Debunk and Repeal Equivalence
Initiator: Alfvaen (sent 25 Aug 1998 20:04 Acka)
Judge: rufus
Judgement:

Statement:

There is no Rule 594.6.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

Proposal 3443, which was accepted, said:

"DEBUNK The blueprint for the Gravitational Monopole (Rule 594.6)".

The Rule-Harfer's claim was that, since the Rules only allowed Discoveries
to be Debunked, this was a Null Proposal.

I refer to the precedent of CFJ 383, which settled the issue of whether
or not part of a Rule may be repealed.  I feel that the same reasoning
can be used to support the Debunking of Blueprints.

It was not at all ambiguous what the author of the Proposal meant to
happen if it passed.  Perhaps with reference to a non-Blueprint Rule,
it would have been meaningless, but I don't believe this is the case.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 18:21:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Retractions?

> 2. Did K 2 ever retract his batch of verbless blueprint-referencing
> Proposals?  I don't have a record of that in my pointlogs either.

Yes, he did. Here's the email in question:
________________

From: K2 <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 09:38:08 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Acka: Twit

I retract proposals: 3406, 3407, 3431, 3432, 3433, 3434, 3435, 3436.

I gift A$ 6 to The Twits - one for each offence :)

K 2

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 18:39:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 647 (rufus)

> I refer to the precedent of CFJ 383, which settled the issue of whether
> or not part of a Rule may be repealed.  I feel that the same reasoning
> can be used to support the Debunking of Blueprints.

I would have to disagree that this precedent is equivalent. That CFJ
dealt with the interpretation of the word "repeal", which is used
exactly in accordance with standard English (i.e., you will not find a
definition of repeal in the rules). The term "Debunk", however, was
specifically defined as having a special meaning. The situation is not
unlike that of lager not being a Royal Frink.

Consider also that the rules were recently changed to REMOVE this
meaning of "Debunk". Why should it still then be operative?

> It was not at all ambiguous what the author of the Proposal meant to
> happen if it passed.

On the other hand, one player has publicly stated that e voted for
these proposals only because e knew that they would have no effect.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 21:59:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR 148

> > Yes, well, the Quirpele of Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
> > can fix that.

> (Hadn't we passed a proposal to fix that?)

So?  Does that mean that I can't talk about the Quirpele of
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis if I want to?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Beck:Odelay
Current Book--S.M. Stirling:Marching Through Georgia
A gallery of wisdom encased in shattered glass

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #286
*******************************