Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #279
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Saturday, August 22 1998       Volume 03 : Number 279

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 01:31:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Acktions with a twist

I donate A$ 1 to the twits.

If you want to know why, keep reading :)

I create a trinket worth A$1 named 'MTU: 576' with the description
of "You know.  It really fucks up a machine when it has an MTU of 1500 and
the router it's going through has an MTU of 576."

I donate this trinket to the twits as well.

- --JT, feeling nearly as dumb as a bitbucket of dropped packets.

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 01:37:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Acktions with a twist

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, JT wrote:
>I create a trinket worth A$1 named 'MTU: 576' with the description
>of "You know.  It really fucks up a machine when it has an MTU of 1500 and
>the router it's going through has an MTU of 576."

I donate another A$1 to the twits as I realize that : is not a valid name
character and thus the above action was not possible.

I create a trinket worth A$1 named 'MTU | 576' (sans quotes) with the
description of "You know.  It really fucks up a machine when it has an MTU
of 1500 and the router it's going through has an MTU of 576."

I then donate this trinket to the twits.

- --JT, feeling even stupider now and heading to bed before he compounds his
      mistakes further.

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:21:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 644 (867-5309)

867-5309 has been selected.

Call for Judgement 644 - August 22, 1998
Subject: Happy Number Timing
Initiator: Alfvaen (sent Sat, 22 Aug 1998, 00:04 Acka)
Judge: 867-5309
Verdict: 

Statement:

The Happy Number is 105.

Alfvaen's Reasoning:

My score was 101 when I posted "Happy! Happy! Happy!", because my attempt
at converting Swingpoints to points was thwarted by a change in the Rules.

Rule 1131, "Happiness", states:

   If any time it is publically knowable that a player has a score
   exactly equal to the Happy Number, that player may point this fact out
   by publically stating: "Happy! Happy! Happy!". E then gains a
   probabilistic Boon of the Ancients and the Happy Number becomes a
   random integer between -60 and the Magic Number.

When my score was not 105, then it was not publicly knowable that my
score was exactly to the Happy Number(which was 105 at the time).  Thus,
I was unable to "point that fact out" at the time.

This would mean that I didn't get that valuable Automatic Sculpture, either.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:27:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Offices

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> When were these elections announced?  I don't recall seeing any requests
> for nominations.

It was in a message sent on Monday with subject line "Re: Acka: Proposal
3442".

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, Clerk of the Court, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:35:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 641 (Memo)

J. M. Bear has gone deadbeat.
Memo has been selected.

Call for Judgement 641 - August 4, 1998
Subject: True Names
Initiator: K 2 (Sent 4 Aug 1998, 14:32 Acka time)
1st Judge: Niccolo Flychuck (selected 06 Aug 1998, 18:25 Acka) (deadbeat)
2nd Judge: J. M. Bear (selected 15 Aug 1998, 03:52 Acka) (deadbeat)
3rd Judge: Memo
Judgement: 

Statement:
No player of Ackanomic has ever had an Ackanomic name (as distinct from
a real name) of Tom Walmsley.

Reasoning:
When the entity then known as
a-collection-of-numbers-that-I-can-never-remember-which-relate-in-some-manne
r-to-the-string-"Jenny"
attempted to change eir name the registrar (JT - an altogether easier
name to remember) objected on the grounds of "Malenkai's Loophole". As a
result the change did not occur.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:37:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 173 (Piz)

K 2 has gone deadbeat.
Piz has been selected.

CFCJ 173
Subject: Hubert's Branch Stacking
Initiator: 867-5309 (sent Thu, 13 Aug 1998 21:03 Acka)
1st Judge: K 2 (selected 15 Aug 1998, 04:19 Acka) (deadbeat)
2nd Judge: Piz
Judgement:

Statement:

On 5 August 1998 the player who is legally able to assume the Ackanomic
name of "Hubert" committed the Crime of Branch-Stacking.

Reasoning:

Rule 1009 states "Being a member of more than one Political Party
simultaneously is the Crime of Branch-Stacking."  The player legally able
to assume the Ackanomic name of Hubert (hereafter referred to as 867-5309)
is a member of the Razor Boomerangs Political Party, and has been pretty
much since joining Ackanomic.

Recently, in response to the proposed formation of the Anti-Voting
Preservation Party (or AVPP), the alleged criminal posted "I join the
AVPP."  I think this can be construed as a statement of intent to join, or
whatever was needed at the time.

Then, on August 5, Ethelred posted the following text:

"I think the AVPP now has enough members to be official. They are:

Idiot Boy
Atilla the Pun
K2
Tom Walmsley

I'm not sure if I need to pay the A$300 as has been suggested, since I'm
not actually transforming a society into a political party, and I
specified from the start that I was forming a political party, not a
society."

(E later corrected the list to include emself.)

Now, one question is: which Tom Walmsley did e mean?  The Org-Harfer seems
to believe that e referred to the player with the Real Life name of Tom
Walmsley, since no player with that Ackanomic name existed at the time.
This is not (exactly) a "867-5309's name used to be Tom Walmsley" CFJ, but
close to it.  (If that can be proven, this CFJ should, barring other
complications, be TRUE as far as I can see.)  But the player with the Real
Life name of Tom Walmsley (hereafter referred to as MTM) could not have
been a member of the AVPP, period.

You see, clause 6 of Rule 1003 explicitly states "No player may become a
member of an Organization without first expressing their consent to
joining it.."  MTM never expressed eir consent to join.  So, regardless of
867-5309's name at the time, MTM could never have been a member.

The reason I believe that 867-5309 *is* a member is a) because I believe
eir name change to "Tom Walmsley" succeeded, and b) because even had it
not succeeded, there was sufficient confusion to that effect at the time
that "Tom Walmsley" could have been accepted as a nickname for 867-5309.
In other words, there was only one player whose name could possibly have
been construed as Tom Walmsley who could legally have been a founding
member.  This is about as unambiguous as it gets.

Anyway,

Recommended Penalty:

An APOLOGY of 10 lines or more.
A DEDUCTION of 25 points from the criminal's score.
EXPULSION from the Anti-Voting Preservationist Party.
The ADMONISHMENT to "Don't do that again.  And we mean it this time."

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:40:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Castes

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Gavin M. Doig wrote:

> >A true warrior among us! Hail to you, Caste Brother JT. If we left
> >everything to those Religious caste members, Ackanomic would have been taken
> >over _centuries_ ago while contemplating it's navel.    ; )
> >
> >Calvin Neroon Hobbes
> >Thinking Delenn is right, the worker class should have 5 seats...
> >
> I also nominate myself for the Grey Council, so that I may become Grey, and
> stand between the darkness and the light, between the candle and the star.

It was the dawn of the Third Age of Players, ten months after the Patch -
Ackanomic war.

> Rex "Open the gun ports!" Mundi.
No mercy!

Yours,
Slakko
but you can call me Lennier.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, Clerk of the Court, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:43:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Agenda Hat

On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

I reveal the Agenda hat with the following condition:

> 3. The owner of this hat has had a score equal to the Happy Number
> at least once in the current cycle.

I trade this hat to the Mad Hatters.

I am still wearing my other two Hats.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, Clerk of the Court, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 07:27:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Going Inactive :-(

I suggest that Alfvaen becomes the new Swinger for
Metamorph. I approve of this suggestion.

I'm becoming Inactive.
I'm going on Vacation.
My expected date of return is September 14, 1998.

(I think this means I'm forfeiting the duel... sorry Alfvaen)

I really wonder what Acka will look like when I return...

J. M. Bear

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 09:33:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFCJ 173 (Piz)

I donate A$ 1 to the twits.
I remove myself from the CFJ illegibility ;) list.
I kiss good bye to the purple robe :/
I donate another A$ to the twits.

I just wasn't meant to have money....

K 2

Duncan Richer wrote:

> K 2 has gone deadbeat.
> Piz has been selected.
>
> CFCJ 173
> Subject: Hubert's Branch Stacking
> Initiator: 867-5309 (sent Thu, 13 Aug 1998 21:03 Acka)
> 1st Judge: K 2 (selected 15 Aug 1998, 04:19 Acka) (deadbeat)
> 2nd Judge: Piz
> Judgement:

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 09:35:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Fwd: Acka: Proposal 3473]

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
- --------------DDCF2D7E5AC81CF021096A62
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

- --------------DDCF2D7E5AC81CF021096A62
Content-Type: message/rfc822
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 23:35:09 +1000
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.03 [en] (Win95; I)
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3473
References: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> > Create a new rule numbered xxx with the title "Commercial License Rule
> > Suite" with the text:
>

Je suis Twit.

Having exhasted my french I donate A$1 to the twits.
The problem is this proposal and the one after it are dependent on one
another - retract one retract the other.....

Perhaps I should donate another A$ to the twits - which I do.

K 2

> I'm going to point this out before breadbox does a week from now:  This
> Rule has no number.  I can't imagine the problematicity of a Proposal
> which creates a Rule Suite the head of which is in the Miscellaneous
> Rules Rule Suite...
>
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
> Song In My Head--Carole King:It's Too Late
> Current Book--Stephen King:Coffey's Hands
> Let's break down the formula, let's switch off the set

- --------------DDCF2D7E5AC81CF021096A62--

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 10:34:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3462

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> 
> If they are all designed to transfer my entities to you, I couldn't see
> how they could NOT be "substantially similar", and hence all but one would
> be invalid.

If that was only one clause of the propsoals, and each included one other
effect, then there could some sufficient difference in substance that
would allow them all.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 12:12:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: What's really important?

J.M Bear's recent proposals to "vital" information to the begining of the
ruleset, which I would have voted for if it hadn't dumped so much work on
breadbox's shoulders, has me thinking.

What rules do we all think are the most important to Acka?  I imagine its
a no brainer that the rules in the 100s, and probably the better part of
the 200s and 300s, are bital to game function in some way or another.
Likewise a few of the officers and related rules, such as Speaker,
Promoter, tabulator, Postmaster, and probably whatever other offices
breadbox holds right now...  But what about the rest of the rules?  Which
of them can we least afford to do without?

So, like I said, I've been thinking about this a little.  And I figured I
might as well ask what everyone else thought. :)  I've sent this to the
- -priv list though.  I'd like to hear what people have to say BEFORE we all
start arguing with each other about this. :)  So, if you have any
thoughts, please pass them along.  In a week or so, I'll release the
"results" of my poll, perhaps to a newspaper, with names omited if thats
what people seem to want.

Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 12:31:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: What's really important?

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> 
> J.M Bear's recent proposals to "vital" information to the begining of the
> ruleset, which I would have voted for if it hadn't dumped so much work on
> breadbox's shoulders, has me thinking.
> 
> What rules do we all think are the most important to Acka?  I imagine its
> a no brainer that the rules in the 100s, and probably the better part of
> the 200s and 300s, are bital to game function in some way or another.
> Likewise a few of the officers and related rules, such as Speaker,
> Promoter, tabulator, Postmaster, and probably whatever other offices
> breadbox holds right now...  But what about the rest of the rules?  Which
> of them can we least afford to do without?
> 
> So, like I said, I've been thinking about this a little.  And I figured I
> might as well ask what everyone else thought. :)  I've sent this to the
> -priv list though.  I'd like to hear what people have to say BEFORE we all
> start arguing with each other about this. :)  So, if you have any
> thoughts, please pass them along.  In a week or so, I'll release the
> "results" of my poll, perhaps to a newspaper, with names omited if thats
> what people seem to want.

Damn.  I was just about to put a very similar question in my paper.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, Clerk of the Court, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 13:42:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFCJ 173 (Piz)

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, K2 wrote:
>I donate A$ 1 to the twits.
>I remove myself from the CFJ illegibility ;) list.
>I kiss good bye to the purple robe :/
>I donate another A$ to the twits.

I pay the correct amount (A$255) to take possession of the Purple Robes of
Justice.

I offer my Spell Book of Chorg to 867-5309.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 13:55:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Going Inactive :-(

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Frank Schmidt wrote:
>I'm becoming Inactive.
>I'm going on Vacation.
>My expected date of return is September 14, 1998.
>
>(I think this means I'm forfeiting the duel... sorry Alfvaen)

I'm sorry that the duel ended this way.
Since it was forfeited, neither Alfvaen nor MTM gain or lose any points.

I believe that the Highlander's swords still take effect.

Since J. M. Bear didn't have 2 heads, and since both swords trigger, I
believe that I gain 20 points which he then loses.  I also gain 2
trinkets at random.  (he only has 3, so I will send mail through the
dice server picking one trinket which he keeps).  He also loses 6 points
and I gain 6 points for the duel itself.  In addition, he loses his
sword which is then destroyed.

In the recently ended duel between Vynd and Else...if, else...if loses his
extra head, and then loses 10 points and 1 trinket at random to Vynd.

I will do that determination momentarily as well.

Vynd, prepare your bottom-crawling Religious Caste worthless hide for my
assault! :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 13:58:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Duel - Loss of 2 trinkets from J.M. Bear

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: JT <[email-masked]>
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# This is to determine which of the 3 trinkets J. M. Bear gets to keep
# since two were lost as a result of his recent duel
#  1 - He keeps the set of Steak Knives 99901
#  2 - He keeps the A mirror #1 (Value: A$163)
#  3 - He keeps the Sponsored by Alfvaen (Value: A$10)

No. of sides on every die:      3
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

      3

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/

=================================================
             ** NewHoo Web Directory **
    An army of editors surfing the web for you!
               http://www.NewHoo.com/
=================================================

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Sat Aug 22 10:58:11 1998
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id KAA13589 for <[email-masked]>; Sat, 22 Aug 1998 10:58:11 -0700
> Received: from herne.dragoncat.net(207.54.31.1) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma013581; Sat Aug 22 10:58:02 1998
> Received: from localhost (jtraub@localhost)
>       by dragoncat.net (8.8.7/8.8.7) with SMTP id KAA14241
>       for <[email-masked]>; Sat, 22 Aug 1998 10:58:08 -0700
> Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 10:58:07 -0700 (PDT)
> From: JT <[email-masked]>
> To: Dice Server <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Trinket loss determination
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 3
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: Duel - Loss of 2 trinkets from J.M. Bear
> 
> #C This is to determine which of the 3 trinkets J. M. Bear gets to keep
> #C since two were lost as a result of his recent duel
> #C
> #C  1 - He keeps the set of Steak Knives 99901
> #C  2 - He keeps the A mirror #1 (Value: A$163)
> #C  3 - He keeps the Sponsored by Alfvaen (Value: A$10)
> 
> --JT
> 
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> [ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
> [ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> 

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNd8Guj8NitsTFjcVAQEqHQP/fsFz+hiIjGXbhCFVgbUTNfmYz7RpNn+y
PtbymEt9X1IkgFQESKG+UpmyuO41/grwG2CjlCz6zifdaW4d9+hsnFcnGbQeE++h
IilmTBSIOzGtoro0hhfEQE1ZhAbvLQ2cLLGFLnMAjQhx1jJg4yc4rO6FLhr322wP
eid7liHv6E0=
=Wu+V
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 14:00:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Dice server)
Subject: Acka: Duel - Loss of 1 trinket by else...if

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Dice rolls requested by: JT <[email-masked]>
Rolls also sent to:
    [email-masked]

# This is to determine which of the 3 trinkets else...if loses to Vynd
# as a result of the result Highlander Sword mandated duel.
# 1 - the YA Poll Win
# 2 - the Degh quvDaj
# 3 - the Model of what might have been Jmmer's Butler

No. of sides on every die:      3
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

      3

Information on the dice server:
   DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
   Replies to [email-masked] vanish into a seldom-read mailbox.

   For instructions on using the dice server, send a message with
   subject "help" to [email-masked], or see http://www.pbm.com/dice/

   The dice server is provided by:

      Shadow Island Games
      http://www.pbm.com/

=================================================
             ** NewHoo Web Directory **
    An army of editors surfing the web for you!
               http://www.NewHoo.com/
=================================================

Original message follows:
> From [email-masked]  Sat Aug 22 11:00:12 1998
> Received: (from smtp@localhost) by xkey.com
>       id LAA13921 for <[email-masked]>; Sat, 22 Aug 1998 11:00:12 -0700
> Received: from herne.dragoncat.net(207.54.31.1) by xkey.com via smtp (V1.3)
>       id sma013916; Sat Aug 22 11:00:10 1998
> Received: from localhost (jtraub@localhost)
>       by dragoncat.net (8.8.7/8.8.7) with SMTP id LAA14254
>       for <[email-masked]>; Sat, 22 Aug 1998 11:00:16 -0700
> Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 11:00:15 -0700 (PDT)
> From: JT <[email-masked]>
> To: Dice Server <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: Trinket loss determination
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
> 
> 
> #P [email-masked]
> #S 3
> #D 1
> #R 1
> #L 1
> #T Acka: Duel - Loss of 1 trinket by else...if
> 
> #C This is to determine which of the 3 trinkets else...if loses to Vynd
> #C as a result of the result Highlander Sword mandated duel.
> #C
> #C 1 - the YA Poll Win
> #C 2 - the Degh quvDaj
> #C 3 - the Model of what might have been Jmmer's Butler
> 
> --JT
> 
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> [ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
> [ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> 
> 

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.7

iQCVAwUBNd8HQz8NitsTFjcVAQHDgQP/QelgGAj4dW36ncV7IJGOKsSlusKq4hqS
uQXT0/MFAL0unh5bot2McMuwKNt1dhWIqZXmeeQXGj2PagQONX8S3rkJmGG+L2xh
DOE3cmY7rn5wG+7VGL6xxaA0OV4JtFvXyK3ZfczwSyCURvzy5CoO7RI5hkQXDIiD
eLLBQXkWM4M=
=2Ba6
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 14:05:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Going Inactive :-(

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, JT wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Frank Schmidt wrote:
> >I'm becoming Inactive.
> >I'm going on Vacation.
> >My expected date of return is September 14, 1998.
> >
> >(I think this means I'm forfeiting the duel... sorry Alfvaen)
> 
> I'm sorry that the duel ended this way.
> Since it was forfeited, neither Alfvaen nor MTM gain or lose any points.
> 
> I believe that the Highlander's swords still take effect.

What Highlander's Swords?

You Discovered the swords on the 12th of July.  However, Mr. Tambourine
Man returned from vacation before the Discovery had existed for a week.

You in fact sent the following message on the 19th:

Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 14:32:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Inventor

With the return of MTM I believe that I lose the acting Inventor office
that I had.

Unfortunately, he returned 1 day (or so) before my Highlander Sword would
have become qualified, so I believe that it gets automatically debunked.
The 'Saaremaa's Codex of Wizardry' however, I believe became qualified
before MTM actually returned.

I give MTM back his position in the Eleusis game 1.

- - --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

How can you argue that the Swords exist?

Yours,
Slakko
- --
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, Clerk of the Court, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 14:23:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The Infrequent Ackan Volume 2 Issue 1

Volume 2, Issue 1
August 22, 1998
This issue's slogan:
"Bloody Hell! Has it been that long already?"
In this issue:
1. Editorial
2. Poll Question #10
3. More Ackanomic News
4. The Party Chess Report
5. Sub-Game Summary
6. Advertisement		
 
Editorial

Welcome to a brand new volume of The Infrequent Ackan, Ackanomic's most
comprehensive news source over the past 9 months.  Apologies to all those
who have been disappointed by the Ackan's recent absence from the
publication lists, all one of you.  Rest assured that, given any chance to
spend some time working on it, the Editor and his staff of non-entities
will continue to bring you the best information about goings on in Acka.
We now return you to your usual diatribe.

The Dropping of Points

Recent developments in major changes to the Ackan ruleset have included
the suggestion that points should be eliminated.  The proposal appeared to
have an uncharacteristic show of initial support, with many people willing
to attempt it as an experiment.  The immediate issue then became what
would replace points as an incentive to take part in the game?

The incentive based on Thrall Attributes was proposed and ran into few
hurdles.  This meant that the abolition of points and the introduction of
its replacement were slated for voting within one week of another, so that
the replacement was on the table before the result of the points removal
proposal was known.

In a nicely counterintuitive twist, perfectly Ackan in its execution, the
repeal of points failed, but Thrall has now been introduced.  The
unintended consequence of this action has been the creation of an
additional method for achieiving a Winning Condition, rather than merely
the replacement of one win criteria by another.

Perhaps it is now time for those who thrashed out the initial attempt to
eliminate points to examine the submission which was eventually put before
the voters.  It may well be possible that a number of minor modifications
would eliminate some of the problems that the naysayers had with the
original concept.  Further, given the acceptance of its proposed
replacement, the notion of points is no longer as firmly entrenched, and
may garner sufficient support on a second reading.

An Explanation for those New Amongst Us

Given the significant changes in Ackan personnel since the last issue of
this Newspaper, perhaps it would be best if I said a few words about the
role of the Press within Ackanomic.

For those who are new and have (wisely) decided that trying to memorise
all 600K of rules would be a bit excessive, the Press is regulated by
Rules in the 900s (a section which also deals with various miscellaneous
entities).  Anyone may set up a Newsppaer, for the nominal price of the
Standard Harfer Fee (currently a snip at A$25).  The only requirement of a
newspaper is that it be published at least once in any calendar month
(otherwise it goes under).  There is no restriction on the minimum time
between issues.	 	 

However, newspapers also have some responsibility to the Truth.  Any
player may request that a newspaper retract a falsehood which it has
published recently.  Refusing to retract such statements is a Criminal
offence.

So, given these restrictions, and the lack of any obvious benefits, why
publish?  I guess I just publish for the fun of it.  It probably also
helps people who wish to see how Acka has progressed without ploughing
their way through the Archives (and might also help out the Historian when
e goes through and plots the course that Acka has taken).

To all new players, I wish each and every one of you a good and active
time in Ackanomic, and may harf be with you.

Letters to the Ackan are always welcome. We will publish contributors
within reason, because our aim is to provide Ackans with a comprehensive
news and opinions service. This includes opinions contradicting the paper,
so feel free to criticise editorial comments. 

If you want your opinions heard, or letters published, please send them to
dcr24@cam..ac.uk. 

Send a stamped self-addressed email to the address listed above, marked
"Acka: Ackan" and we'll do our best to get back to you.
Have another good Ackan week - banna willing we'll be back again soon.

Slakko
Editor, The Infrequent Ackan 

Poll Question

Time now for the tenth question in the continuing series of the Unofficial
Infrequent Ackan polls.  This week, with the recent attempts to simplify
the ruleset, we are looking for information about your repealing
preferences.  Apologies to Vynd if this question covers too much of the
same ground as his.

Which section of the rules most needs a simplifying overhaul and/or
elimination?
(a) - Offices and Office Types
(b) - Accumulation and Existence of Points
(c) - Inventions and Gadgets
(d) - Criminal Justice
(e) - Miscellaneous Entities
(f) - Other (please specify)

As is traditional, one respondent to the poll will be selected at random
(but EBSes need not apply) to receive A$10.  Unlike some previous
contests, though, this will be a cash payment, to save wear and tear on
trinkets.

Remember, your opinion does matter to us here at the Ackan. The results
should be included in the next issue, which, if I can reduce my lethargy
quotient, will be off the press next week. It costs very little of your
time to enter, and there's always the chance of that small cash bonus, so
please respond to the Great Infrequent Ackan Poll Competition!

More Ackanomic News

Another Win?

July was a remarkable month for Ackanomic wins.  Hot on the heels of
Slakko's June pair of wins, on the 13th and 20th respectively, came two
more interesting wins, from two players previously without a Champion's
Cloak.

K 2's win will remain unique in Acka, for it was rewarded for helping to
restore Acka's topography to an understandable state.  What with all the
debate over the roundness or flatness of the Earth, and the numerous
witchhunts that this fierce debate enabled, it was up to the compromise
brokers from the Cubical Earth Implementation Society to fix things. 
K 2 provided sufficient items to the Society to be selected (at random,
ahead of Vynd), to be chosen to perform the task of cutting the Earth into
a cube.  On his return, a Winning Condition was magnanimously granted.

The other win earned in July went to else...if.  This was the second, and
final, win by Museum that was helped significantly by Stock Market
fluctuations.  Some grizzling was heard when this particular win was
pointed out, no doubt due to else...if's intensive involvement in the
Stock Market, and eir role as dual-personality head of the Ackan Reserve.
Nonetheless, such a win required the complicity or indifference of the
other members of the Ackan Reserve Board, and so was fairly achieved by a
single person.

Now, as August heads for a close, Acka is headed for its fifth Cycle Win
in under three months.  After an initial claim for a Winning Condition was
denied, /dev/joe's appeal to the Supreme Court finally came back this week
with a TRUE verdict.  The judgement on whether any "effect" was created as
a result of /dev/joe's palindromic proposal that "Lager, sir, is regal."
may appear contentious.  However, on closer examination it becomes clear
that the decision is merely in keeping with previous CFJs on related
issues, and in fact there is very little objection to the win.

Court Report

Slakko became Clerk of the Court just over a week ago.  Since then the
major action has been the Supreme Court's verdict on CFJ 630, overturning
Alfvaen (now Justice Alfvaen)'s original FALSE judgement.  

Other facts cleared up through the courts in the last week have included:

Mr. Tambourine Man is off the hook after a claim of Spamming was placed on
him by Slakko.  With the precedent that 12 messages does not constitute an
annoyance, we now have a base limit within which it may appear that
multiple message sending is acceptable (CFCJ 172).

Despite having too few players to technically be an acceptable game,
Eleusis Game 1 still exists, thanks to Rule 701's retroactive
legitimisation. (CFJ 638, Piz).

CFJ 643 was judged INVALID, though, so despite Vynd's very persuasive
arguments, no explicit game custom (or whatever it is CFJs actually make)
will be created.

Stripe Attack

As you would expect, during a six week period in Acka it can reasonably be
expected that some players will manage to achieve new Stripes.  K 2 has
been a particular star of late, coming out with a huge number of proposals
to reach a Blue Cross Rank in excess of 60.  Congratulations are due to K
2, and all the other Stripe recipients (especially JT and Alfvaen), for
continuing to uphold the tradition of heavy mutability that Acka so
enjoys.

Bring on the New Players

Since this paper last came out, a large number of new players have joined
the game.  They have included Publius, Studge, Rig R. Mortis, Piz and
Memo.  Unfortunately Real Life commitments have seen Publius drop out, but
the other new players have survived this long.

Each new player has, as tradition and the Rules demand, been granted their
own home, on its own 1 kaa of land in the city.  In addition, to help them
in their job of blending into Ackan life, each new player has received
A$900 for the essentials of their living.  Best of luck to all the new
players.

The Way We Were

Two years ago, on the 22nd of August 1996,  the fight to block Malenkai's
Loophole was in full swing.  Despite the loophole being named after
Malenkai, for eir successful surf of it, Malenkai claimed to be the true
anti-loophole surfer.  This claim was in response to /dev/joe's attempts
to find a way to eliminate the loophole forever.  While the loophole still
exists today, the existence of Rule 721 means that its use is not only
frowned upon, but subject to criminal sanctions.

In addition, this was the time of the Consecutive NO votes.  Given the
recent suggestions about Tammany scamming, and how a related situation
could develop, this is somewhat spooky.

Malenkai had a series of proposals, all called "Coup I", benefitting em
significantly.  At the time, no player could cast more than seven
consecutive NO votes, and if seven were cast, the next one had to be YES.
Fortunately, the PRESENT vote meant that players need not vote YES if they
counted their proposals correctly, and so the scam was prevented.

The Chess Umpire post remained stubbornly vacant, amidst claims that the
game was still unplayable (but would become playable shortly).  Niccolo
Flychuck eventually stepped up to become Chess Umpire, but that would have
to wait for an amendment which allowed Umpires to act as Swingers as well
(a situation which continues to the present day).

22 August was also the day when Simon Marty Harriman announced e was
leaving the game.  SMH was one of the first Senators, but is not an Elder.
Further, chess piece face, former Registrar, also left the game on that
day. On the 22nd of August, 1997, Alfvaen was busy reattaching Malenkai's
Castle to the ground, after unfortunate tether failure caused it to float
away.

At the same time, Malenkai's Loophole was, yet again, being discussed.
This time the question was the rule against Patent Infringement.  Alfvaen
wondered whether the rule, as it stood, could convict someone who held a
rule-defined entity which was then granted new powers by a proposal.
Another useless trivia fact: Malenkai used the name of a player who didn't
even exist at the time - except he misspelled it.  He mentioned the idea
of a proposal which would put Alfvaen "in Gaol with a sentence of 8675309
days".  Quite remarkable prescience from Malenkai.

The only proposal issued on that day was a minor fix, changing the
character representing a Party Chess Piece Zombie to avoid conflict with
the Kamikaze.

Those were the days that were, one and two years ago.

The Party Chess Report

Niccolo's summary sent to the main list last week appears to have been the
best strategic article written on Party Chess ever.  For those who wish to
look beneath the veneer of weight and Knife wrestling, I thoroughly
suggest you go through it.

The game of Party Chess really has three distinct goals.  Firstly there is
to Win the game - this involves achieving sufficiently many Stabber's
Knives through the successful checkmating of other players.  Secondly, we
have the goal of achieving a high Weight, so as to maximise the Swingpoint
rewards.  The third goal is a survivalist one, but it is really the
converse goal of the other two.  A player who stays on the board does not
let others get Stabber's Knives, and will need a significant Weight to
have any effect on the game.

Currently Slakko and Koxvolio are best placed for reaching the Winning
goal, each in possession of 1 Stabber's Knife.  However, as that score
would suggest, any actual win is a long way off.

Niccolo is looking the best Swinger in terms of the second goal.  E has
had a consistently high weight for a few weeks now, and has been raking in
a large number of Swingpoints.  Although these no longer have the easy
transferability to points that they used to, they are nonetheless valuable
as sources of Bonus Votes and Otzma Cards.

/dev/joe, meanwhile, appears to have the most stable position.  The Vulcan
King is surrounded by sufficiently many Pawns to block most attackers, and
Pawns are heading towards the centre to gain promotion and further improve
eir position.

Meanwhile, one Party has so far failed to join the PartyChess atmosphere.
The Anti-Voting Preservation Party has yet to appoint a Swinger, despite
being in existence for some time now.  With all the free Swingpoints on
offer just for getting involved and putting a King on the board, I hope
someone in the Party is willing to take on the job.

Sub Game Summary

Bacon

Game 2 of Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon is apparently stalled.  There appears
to be little progress in the game.  Meanwhile, Game 1 will almost
certainly not have any further play, despite not having much play to start
with.  Ayla's inactivity has left it moribund, with no other player
willing to step into eir shoes.

Eleusis

Game 1 is progressing slowly through Round 2, with the players having
sever difficulty in their attempts to guess the pattern.  On more than one
occasion all three players have failed to play a successful card in a row,
thus making us wonder how tough the rule actually is.

Game 2 is now back in business, as Robin Hood has valiantly stepped in to
replace Ayla.  However, with K 2 having left, this game has probably lost
some of its initial impetus.  Personally, I think that the time demands on
a full game of Eleusis are too much for Acka - as at this rate it may well
take upwards of nine months for a single game to be completed.  Perhaps
restructuring the game with a Referee / Deus who takes no part in play
would be a more appropriate way to play Eleusis in Ackanomic?

Grab-a-Donkey

Grab-a-Donkey is now 24 rounds old, making it a colossal game.  It is
almost complete, with only 3 players remaining.  However, the last round
failed to see any decent action, with one cover and two admirings.
Hopefully else...if, Fortunato and rufus can be a little more aggressive,
and get this game over with in the not too distant future.  The rest of us
have been unable to play GAD for upwards of 3 months in some cases.	 

Viruses

Alfvaen has taken a stranglehold on Game 3 of Viruses over the past few
weeks.  At one stage it looked like e might be unstoppable on eir way to
10 Viruspoints and eir second Virus win.  However, a case of Early Leader
Syndrome can prove quite difficult to shake off in Viruses.  Alfvaen has
finally succumbed to this dreaded ailment.

After reaching 7 Viruspoints, Alfvaen had established emself as undisputed
leader.  So everyone combined to take em down a peg.  Rex Mundi won the
most recent round, so the game is hopefully far from over.  The collapse
of Alfvaen's large module of viruses may see eir Viruscount collapse
further this round, allowing more players to have a shot at the lead.

Word Un-Association 

Word Un-Association is effectively moribund.  Do not bother staying tuned
for more details.

YORL

A severe case of the sleepies appears to have infected most of the players
of Game 2 of Ye Olde Rusty Lantern.  While it looked like the game might
be due for a win in early to middle July, a lack of involvement has meant
that the story still continues.

A lucky interrupt of "killer" saw Slakko back in control most recently.  E
took over from 867-5309, who, along with Alfvaen, appear to be the only
other active players in this game.  On the next round of passes (if it
happens) we may expect to see a number of players thrown out of the bar
altogether, for sleeping too much.

Meanwhile, in the story itself, the intrepid trio dealt with Narf in a
most effective fashion, firstly removing eir possession, and then setting
the Godfather on em.  Not a pleasant fate to happen to anyone, but you
could tell Narf was heading for it.

They then encountered the snowgod.  While the actual resolution of this
battle is not yet confirmed, it is known that the crucial element is a
blue canary, carrying a very small (but no doubt very powerful) stick of
dynamite.  The old cartoon tricks are always the best. 

Duel Summary

The Duels between Vynd and else...if, and JT and J. M. Bear both finished
during the last week.  Vynd's skill at Double Crash was apparent with a
demolition of else...if, successfully spotting the key word on the third
salvo.

Meanwhile, after an abortive attempt at a Single-Capture Go game, JT and
J.M. Bear's Viruses Duel also came to a premature end.  The unfortunate
need for J. M. to go inactive led to em forfeiting the Duel.  A sad way
for a Duel to end, but there you go.

Advertisements

The Ackan is looking for interviews, as always.  The criteria remain the
same - having held a public office in Acka for at least one month.  So, if
you are interested, /dev/joe, JT and anyone else who qualifies but has not
yet given an interview, please contact us.

The staff of the Infrequent Ackan would like to hear from you. Just email
us at [email-masked] with the keywords "Acka: Ackan" and say you would
like to do an interview. That's all.  Someone from the Ackan will be
around to contact you shortly. 

The Infrequent Ackan, first to you with Ackan news.

Copyright Duncan Richer writing under the pseudonym of "Slakko", 22nd
August 1998.
Check us out on the web, at
http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/Nomic/Acka/infrequent.html 

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #279
*******************************