Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #273
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Monday, August 17 1998        Volume 03 : Number 273

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 09:38:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Twit

I retract proposals: 3406, 3407, 3431, 3432, 3433, 3434, 3435, 3436.

I gift A$ 6 to The Twits - one for each offence :)

K 2

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:14:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Michael Pizolato" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: [ackanomic] Acka: CFJ 638 (Piz)

:rufus went deadbeat.
:Piz has been selected.

Harf! Me? Er...

OK. Gimme a moment to collect meself.

Piz

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:41:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Michael Pizolato" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: [ackanomic] Acka: CFCJ 173 (Piz)

I decline to judge this case.

Piz

- ----------
:Piz has been selected.
:
:CFCJ 173
:Subject: Hubert's Branch Stacking
:Initiator: 867-5309 (sent Thu, 13 Aug 1998 21:03 Acka)
:Judge: Piz
:Judgement:
:
:Statement:
:
:On 5 August 1998 the player who is legally able to assume the Ackanomic
:name of "Hubert" committed the Crime of Branch-Stacking.
:
:Reasoning:
:
:Rule 1009 states "Being a member of more than one Political Party
:simultaneously is the Crime of Branch-Stacking."  The player legally able
:to assume the Ackanomic name of Hubert (hereafter referred to as 867-5309)
:is a member of the Razor Boomerangs Political Party, and has been pretty
:much since joining Ackanomic.
:
:Recently, in response to the proposed formation of the Anti-Voting
:Preservation Party (or AVPP), the alleged criminal posted "I join the
:AVPP."  I think this can be construed as a statement of intent to join, or
:whatever was needed at the time.
:
:Then, on August 5, Ethelred posted the following text:
:
:"I think the AVPP now has enough members to be official. They are:
:
:Idiot Boy
:Atilla the Pun
:K2
:Tom Walmsley
:
:I'm not sure if I need to pay the A$300 as has been suggested, since I'm
:not actually transforming a society into a political party, and I
:specified from the start that I was forming a political party, not a
:society."
:
:(E later corrected the list to include emself.)
:
:Now, one question is: which Tom Walmsley did e mean?  The Org-Harfer seems
:to believe that e referred to the player with the Real Life name of Tom
:Walmsley, since no player with that Ackanomic name existed at the time.
:This is not (exactly) a "867-5309's name used to be Tom Walmsley" CFJ, but
:close to it.  (If that can be proven, this CFJ should, barring other
:complications, be TRUE as far as I can see.)  But the player with the Real
:Life name of Tom Walmsley (hereafter referred to as MTM) could not have
:been a member of the AVPP, period.
:
:You see, clause 6 of Rule 1003 explicitly states "No player may become a
:member of an Organization without first expressing their consent to
:joining it.."  MTM never expressed eir consent to join.  So, regardless of
:867-5309's name at the time, MTM could never have been a member.
:
:The reason I believe that 867-5309 *is* a member is a) because I believe
:eir name change to "Tom Walmsley" succeeded, and b) because even had it
:not succeeded, there was sufficient confusion to that effect at the time
:that "Tom Walmsley" could have been accepted as a nickname for 867-5309.
:In other words, there was only one player whose name could possibly have
:been construed as Tom Walmsley who could legally have been a founding
:member.  This is about as unambiguous as it gets.
:
:Anyway,
:
:Recommended Penalty:
:
:An APOLOGY of 10 lines or more.
:A DEDUCTION of 25 points from the criminal's score.
:EXPULSION from the Anti-Voting Preservationist Party.
:The ADMONISHMENT to "Don't do that again.  And we mean it this time."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:43:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Michael Pizolato" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: [ackanomic] Acka: CFCJ 173 (K 2)

I should have noticed this myself. I donate A$1 to the Twits.

Piz

- ----------
:From: dcr24
:To: ackanomic
:Subject: [ackanomic] Acka: CFCJ 173 (K 2)
:Date: Saturday, August 15, 1998 4:19AM
:
:K 2 has been selected. (The selection of Piz was an error).
:
:CFCJ 173
:Subject: Hubert's Branch Stacking
:Initiator: 867-5309 (sent Thu, 13 Aug 1998 21:03 Acka)
:Judge: K 2
:Judgement:
:
:Statement:
:
:On 5 August 1998 the player who is legally able to assume the Ackanomic
:name of "Hubert" committed the Crime of Branch-Stacking.
:
:Reasoning:
:
:Rule 1009 states "Being a member of more than one Political Party
:simultaneously is the Crime of Branch-Stacking."  The player legally able
:to assume the Ackanomic name of Hubert (hereafter referred to as 867-5309)
:is a member of the Razor Boomerangs Political Party, and has been pretty
:much since joining Ackanomic.
:
:Recently, in response to the proposed formation of the Anti-Voting
:Preservation Party (or AVPP), the alleged criminal posted "I join the
:AVPP."  I think this can be construed as a statement of intent to join, or
:whatever was needed at the time.
:
:Then, on August 5, Ethelred posted the following text:
:
:"I think the AVPP now has enough members to be official. They are:
:
:Idiot Boy
:Atilla the Pun
:K2
:Tom Walmsley
:
:I'm not sure if I need to pay the A$300 as has been suggested, since I'm
:not actually transforming a society into a political party, and I
:specified from the start that I was forming a political party, not a
:society."
:
:(E later corrected the list to include emself.)
:
:Now, one question is: which Tom Walmsley did e mean?  The Org-Harfer seems
:to believe that e referred to the player with the Real Life name of Tom
:Walmsley, since no player with that Ackanomic name existed at the time.
:This is not (exactly) a "867-5309's name used to be Tom Walmsley" CFJ, but
:close to it.  (If that can be proven, this CFJ should, barring other
:complications, be TRUE as far as I can see.)  But the player with the Real
:Life name of Tom Walmsley (hereafter referred to as MTM) could not have
:been a member of the AVPP, period.
:
:You see, clause 6 of Rule 1003 explicitly states "No player may become a
:member of an Organization without first expressing their consent to
:joining it.."  MTM never expressed eir consent to join.  So, regardless of
:867-5309's name at the time, MTM could never have been a member.
:
:The reason I believe that 867-5309 *is* a member is a) because I believe
:eir name change to "Tom Walmsley" succeeded, and b) because even had it
:not succeeded, there was sufficient confusion to that effect at the time
:that "Tom Walmsley" could have been accepted as a nickname for 867-5309.
:In other words, there was only one player whose name could possibly have
:been construed as Tom Walmsley who could legally have been a founding
:member.  This is about as unambiguous as it gets.
:
:Anyway,
:
:Recommended Penalty:
:
:An APOLOGY of 10 lines or more.
:A DEDUCTION of 25 points from the criminal's score.
:EXPULSION from the Anti-Voting Preservationist Party.
:The ADMONISHMENT to "Don't do that again.  And we mean it this time."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:45:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3442

At 08:51 17/08/98 -0400, you wrote:
>On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Duncan C. "Slakko" Richer wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
>> 
>> > >{{The Offices of Caped Crusader, Chair of the Ackan Reserve, Financial
>> > >Communitie's Member of the Ackan Reserve, Mad Scientist, People's Member
>> > >of the Ackan Reserve and Praetor are all destroyed.}}
>> > 
>> > I probably would vote for this proposal except for this bit.I like this
>> > sort of dumb inconsistencies. Put them in the harfonisn if you want.
>> 
>> I can't put them in the Harfonian as they are not owned by anyone, being
>> non-Capital Offices.

You could put them in the harfonian by proposal if you wanted.

>> Technically they still need to be tracked, and this is the only way to
>> stop that.
>
>Oh, dumb inconsistencies could actually backfire on you, Tom.  
>If any of the players holding these posts leaves the game, or goes On Ice,
>or something, then you, as Count Tabula, would be required to hold an 
>election for these useless Offices.  Do you really want to do that?

Cool. I am starting an election for Godfather if I can (was than an office
or a title?). That reminds me, I'm starting an electionfor whatever the
name of the office thast tracks characteristics is if that office is
political. Otherwise I ask that K 2 start a nomination for it. I think it's
called dungeon master or something. Unfortunately I don't have an up to
date copy of the rules handy due to the muppetlabs crash. I also start a
nomination for the office of NAP swinger. I'll also go nd find the results
to the senator election,but that will come in a seperate message. (Warning
- - set to acka-priv)

MTM.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:45:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Senator

The following were the number of votes that the various nominees received.

MTM 3
Slakko 4
rufus 1
Publius 3
867-5309 4

I believe this means I have to select one from 867-5309 and Slakko using
the dice server. I'll check up on the rules and do this later if I'm correct.

MTM, Count Tabula.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 11:05:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Michael Pizolato" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Fw: Acka: A BAA! of a Birthday Gift

I create a trinket, called a "Gift Certificate," with a value of A$5 and the
following WHATEVER-delimited description:

WHATEVER
"I didn't care enough to put any thought or effort into your gift, so go out
and buy yourself something nice."
WHATEVER

I gift this trinket to Publius out of respect for his "Harfy Birthday"
proposal, for which I intend to vote YES.

:-)

Piz

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 11:33:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Cleaning Up

In case I have not yet officially announced the end of my auction for the
ACK issue 9 trinket, JT won it for a bid of A$50.  He already has his
newspaper.  The public edition will come out this week.  JT informs me
that he already knew most of what was in this issue, although my analysis
of the Curious Clock map may lead him somewhere, and on one other treasure
I was behind at least one other Ackan in my analysis.  Yes, it *does*
happen. :-)

breadbox, if I have any other error messages in your postmaster's mail,
besides the viruses one, please forward them to me.

Although it would be more appropriate for the ACK to report this, I will say
it here.  There has been a series of coded messages posted to rec.puzzles
in the last few days.  They contain 2 to 8 lines of text each, with about
70 characters per line, all letters a through p, which suggests hexadecimal
code.  I have only seen three so far, numbered 15 through 17 in their
subject lines.

I haven't taken the time to analyze them fully, but they weren't immediately
obvious (i.e., not simply ASCII encoded into hex digits written using a-p
instead of 0-9,a-f).  If somebody decodes these and tells me what they say,
I may offer a reward depending on how interesting the encoding mechanism is.
:-)

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:14:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Fw: Acka: A BAA! of a Birthday Gift

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Michael Pizolato wrote:
>I create a trinket, called a "Gift Certificate," with a value of A$5 and the
>following WHATEVER-delimited description:
>
>WHATEVER
>"I didn't care enough to put any thought or effort into your gift, so go out
>and buy yourself something nice."
>WHATEVER
>
>I gift this trinket to Publius out of respect for his "Harfy Birthday"
>proposal, for which I intend to vote YES.

As a side note, the Birthday proposal that Publius submitted is something
similar to something which I submitted very shortly after I joined the
game as well.  I hope his passes, cause mine didn't :)

(note, the main difference between his and mine is that I only required
tracking 'birthdays' for active players.  I don't know why Publius
required tracking them for former players and would be curious to hear his
answer on that one)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 17:06:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 643 (Vynd)

Vynd has been selected.

Call for Judgement 643 - August 17, 1998
Subject: Expiration of Voting Period
Initiator: Publius (sent Aug 17, 1998, 16:26 Acka)
Judge: Vynd
Judgement:

Statement:  
The proposals for which voting expired during the period
that the Muppetlabs harddrive was down have not been legally accepted or
rejected, since players did not have seven full days during which votes
were being accepted -- or, if they did, it was not clear from messages
posted as a public action by breadbox that this was so.

Reasoning:  
I was not aware that votes were being accepted during the
weekend.  It was my understanding that the harddrive was down, and that
the only way to communicate was by sending email to all players
individually.  I believe that the unusually large number of abstentions
on the proposals in question show that I was not the only one who
thought this to be true.  No alternative means of voting was made known
to the players during this period.  In some cases, had one abstention
been converted to "aye" or "nay", the outcome would have been different.

Note:  This CFJ is made without any intention of hostility towards
anyone.  I simply believe the matter was overlooked.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 19:30:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Magic Potato (IdiotBoy)

In an odd bounce of the Potato, IdiotBoy has found it after having had it
2 weeks ago.

Studge has therefore found the Tuba.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 22:33:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Nnggh

It seems that another message that got lost was my pointing out that
sometime during the batch of Proposal results that got released on the
13th, I had 76 points, and that I was thus taking possession of the
Trombone, for a second time.  But I think that since three days have
passed since then, so I can't attempt it anymore.  Furrfu.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Rush:Caress of Steel
Current Book--Tanith Lee:The Book of The Beast
If you didn't want crottled greeps, why did you order them?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 22:39:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3447

> Proposal 3447
> I
> K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

> This is a modest proposal.
> DEBUNK The blueprint for the Cheez-Whiz (Rule 594.14)

I say unto the followers of the Church of Azpiazu that this Proposal
is Heretical!  It was from the Cheez-Whiz Blueprint that our holy
Azpiazu was originally formed, and as such the Cheez-Whiz is sacred to
our Church.  K 2, I hereby Excommunicate thee from the Church of Azpiazu
for even suggesting this foul action, and encourage all pious followers
of Azpiazu to vote against this heinous Proposal.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Rush:Caress of Steel
Current Book--Tanith Lee:The Book of The Beast
"How are you today?"  "Fine--I'm feeling very gruntled."

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #273
*******************************