Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #269
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Tuesday, August 11 1998       Volume 03 : Number 269

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 02:01:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Harf

I hereby announce that Proposals 3392 and 3394 are Harfy.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Concrete Blonde:Dance Along The Edge
Current Book--Sheri S. Tepper:Shadow's End
Greenness disintegrates.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 03:04:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 639 (TRUE)

K 2 has judged this one TRUE.

Call for Judgement 639 - August 3, 1998
Subject: More Eleusis
Initiator: Alfvaen (Sent 3 Aug 1998, 18:14 Acka time)
Judge: K 2 (Selected 06 Aug 1998, 17:23 Acka time)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

The current game of Eleusis in which Alfvaen is Deus will enter 'sudden
death' after the next card played.

Initiator's Reasoning:

This rests on the interpretations of two sections in the Eleusis rule:

   k) If there is no prophet, mark every 10th card played with a '*'.
   After forty cards, the round enters 'sudden death'.

   l) If there is a prophet, mark every 10th card since they became the
   prophet with a '!'. After 30 cards (3 '!') the round enters sudden
   death.

I believe that a reasonable interpretation of these would not make them
mutually exclusive.

In the game mentioned above, Ayla became Prophet with the 23rd card
played,
and remained so until the 36th card was played.  So there was a "!" on
the 23rd card, and one on the 33rd.  Perhaps the 30th card should not
have been marked with a "*", since there was a Prophet at that time, but
it still seems reasonable to me that _after_ Ayla lost eir status as
Prophet the first count(toward forty)would still include the 13(14?)cards
that were played while there was a prophet.  The "forty cards" in that
clause is ambiguous, and nowhere does "cards played" mean "cards played
when there is no prophet".

I should also note that 39 cards total have been played so far in the
game, with or without a Prophet.  So if those under the Prophet count
towards the forty, then the next will be the fortieth.

K 2 Reasoning:
I am in agreement with the initiator.
The phrase "forty cards" in section k is not  restricted to  only those
for which eir was no prophet thus on the fortieth card of the game in
question, it will enter "sudden death".

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 03:08:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 640 (TRUE)

Vynd has judged this one TRUE.

Call for Judgement 640 - August 5, 1998
Subject: Potato
Initiator: Alfvaen (Sent 5 Aug 1998, 06:46 Acka time)
Judge: Vynd (Selected 06 Aug 1998, 17:25 Acka time)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

K 2 has the Magic Potato.

Initiator's Reasoning:

Although according to the Rules the Magic Potato is given out every
Monday, at noon, it is also the result of a random determination the
posting of whose results should be the time at which it occurs.  Due to
the Speaker interregnum it still hasn't been posted yet, and I've been
wondering about this one for a while.  And, frankly, it will affect
scoring quite a bit since K 2 has a lot of Proposals in the last batch.

Judge's Reasoning:

I don't know if I'm mising something, but I can't find anything in the
rules that says the Potato is handed out at noon on Mondays.  So far as I
can see in the Potato rule, its just handed out once a week.  Even if
there is something in the rules that would call for it to be distributed
at noon, I think Rule 230 has precedence, and it will be distributed once
the random determination is made and not before. So I judge this TRUE.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 03:50:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Swinger Information

The post of Non-Aligned Player Swinger is still WARM, and has been for
well over a month now.  Anyone who is not a member of a Political Party is
eligible for this post.

The post of AVPP Party Swinger is still Vacant.  If the Party would
appoint a Swinger it would be appreciated.

Yours,
Slakko
Chess-Umpire
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, Clerk of the Court, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 03:52:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Link aufgenommen! (fwd)

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, JT wrote:

> Thanks :)  Now the question is, how did I get on this list/link site?  I
> never visited them (as they implied I did), so all I can guess is that
> some web-crawler found the (main?) Acka site and it thought I was the
> contact.
> 
> Thanks again breadbox.
> 
> >We would appreciate a corresponding link to our page
> >(http://www.iap.de/~taurus/pbm.html).
> 
> Slakko, I leave it up to you as web-harfer if you wish to create a 'links
> to other online PBM-type games' page or whatever.

This probably deserves to go in the Miscellaneous category.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, Clerk of the Court, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:30:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: my fault (was: Link aufgenommen)

Sorry for the confusion I caused.
When I first encountered those pbm pages, it seemed
like a good idea to put a link to Acka in there.

I goofed up. Heavily. As contact adress I entered JT's one,
totally ignoring that the adress meant was not the one that
players would contact (which is why I put the 'read rules
first' in) but the one that the pbmbase admin would need to
contact the one who's supposed to manage the page.

I gift A$23 to the Twits.

The correct contact adress would be Slakko's. If anybody
knows a better description to enter in the pbmbase (it should
be short, just describing the game linked to), I'll translate it
into German if needed.

JMB

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 09:06:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Michael Pizolato" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Link aufgenommen! (fwd)

>>Would anyone here who can speak german please translate this for me?
>>I don't speak german (sorry) and while I find the altavista babelfish
>>amusing, it's translations are usually far afield.

I'll give it a go.

>>Hallo,

Harf,

>>vielen Dank fuer deinen Besuch auf unserer Site!

Dank violins for denizens of Busch are site unseen!

>>Wir haben den von dir genannten Link aufgenommen. Hier nochmal die Daten,
wie sie
>>verarbeitet wurden.

We have ten genetic phone directories linked with genomes. Here nocturnal
dates die, we see verifiably bitten words.

>>Titel: Ackanomic
>>URL: http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/Nomic/Acka/index.html
>>Kategorie: eMail
>>Beschreibung: Englisch. (In Nomic kann man die Regeln ändern,
normalerweise
>>durch Abstimmung.) Seit Januar 1996 aktiv. Regeln mehrere 100K,
>>man braucht die allermeisten aber nicht dauernd.
>>Kontact Name: JT (Traub) *Bitte zuerst Regeln lesen!*
>>Kontact eMail: [email-masked]
>>
>>Du kannst den neuen Eintrag unter

Do ten cans at noon under interest.

>>  http://www.iap.de/~taurus/search
>>
>>einsehen. Solltest du noch weitere Fragen haben, so zoegere nicht eine
>>eMail zu senden.

[[sneezes]] Sealtest has for naught been waiting for Frank, so Zoroaster
nicked nine e-mails you sent.

>>Wir wuerden uns ebenfalls sehr auf einen Link zu unserer Page

We're wonderin' once evening falls shall all nine Link to the unseen page.

>>(http://www.iap.de/~taurus/pbm.html) freuen.
>>
>>Mit spielerischen Gruessen,

MIT is splotchy and greasy.

>>PBM - Links & Infos

Hope that helps,
Piz

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 13:01:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Link aufgenommen! (fwd)

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Michael Pizolato wrote:

>=20
> >>Titel: Ackanomic
> >>URL: http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/Nomic/Acka/index.html
> >>Kategorie: eMail
> >>Beschreibung: Englisch. (In Nomic kann man die Regeln =E4ndern,
> normalerweise
> >>durch Abstimmung.) Seit Januar 1996 aktiv. Regeln mehrere 100K,
> >>man braucht die allermeisten aber nicht dauernd.
> >>Kontact Name: JT (Traub) *Bitte zuerst Regeln lesen!*
> >>Kontact eMail: [email-masked]
> >>
> >>Du kannst den neuen Eintrag unter
>=20
> Do ten cans at noon under interest.
>=20

Well that certainly sounds interesting. :)

Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 16:06:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Treasure hunting excitement.

Oh yeah, this is on the map for my recently announced treasure.

It is also sufficient to produce a URL which has a picture of IdiotBoy in
his car.  (This should help those who may have trouble recognizing the
color [is it a color?] make or model.)

Best of luck-
IB

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 16:10:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: IdiotBoy's Treasure

Hopefully the following will suffice as 'posting the make, model, and
color' of IdiotBoy's car, since it is a depiction of him in his car.

There is an image at
http://www.wqrp.org/matt-m.jpg which contains our illustrious Matt Miller
sitting inside his car.

After quite a bit of diligent searching, I am across a Matt Miller page
at http://www.wqrp.org/newpage6.htm.   I knew this was IdiotBoy due to the
fact that it listed his other job as director of Operations for MICS.net.
(which I knew because he had authority to give both myself and MTM
accounts on brain.mics.net).  Searching a bit further yielded that WQRP
had a photos page and there was the car photo.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 16:24:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: IdiotBoy's Treasure

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, JT wrote:

> Hopefully the following will suffice as 'posting the make, model, and
> color' of IdiotBoy's car, since it is a depiction of him in his car.
> 
> There is an image at
> http://www.wqrp.org/matt-m.jpg which contains our illustrious Matt Miller
> sitting inside his car.
> 
> After quite a bit of diligent searching, I am across a Matt Miller page
> at http://www.wqrp.org/newpage6.htm.   I knew this was IdiotBoy due to the
> fact that it listed his other job as director of Operations for MICS.net.
> (which I knew because he had authority to give both myself and MTM
> accounts on brain.mics.net).  Searching a bit further yielded that WQRP
> had a photos page and there was the car photo.
> 

Congratulations to JT for finding this treasure.  I hadn't really looked
too carefully at the photo...*I* know my car is black, so it looks black 
in the photo... 

There actually used to be some very good shots of my car on one of my
homepages somewhere.. but when I went to look for them, they had been
replaced with some other stuff.  (I generally don't see my web pages as
static expressions of me.. more as utilitarian means for me to get info to
some [specific] interested parties.)

Why am I writing an essa,?  I dunno.

I was thinking this would be more difficult.. but then I didn't put too
manny goodies in the treasure, so it had no right to be too tough.. i had
forgotten that I had given so much info about who I "really am" before.

In any case.. I am the aforementioned Matt Mille rin the photo on
wqrp.org's site.. (and it's a good thing you found this now.. I'm
officially off the air on Friday if we don't make any progress in our
negotiations tomorrow....)

If you are interested in hearing me, IB, on the radio, feel free to check
out http://www.mics.net/~matt where I put some RealAudio files of my "fake
moon landing show".. not one of my best shows (it was the BEGINNING of
the negotiations which end tomorrow)..  it iIS Christian COntemporary
music.. and the techinal quality is horrible.. there, rush right out and
check it out now!

Congrats, JT-
IB

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 16:38:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: IdiotBoy's Treasure

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Matt Miller wrote:
>On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, JT wrote:
>Congratulations to JT for finding this treasure.  I hadn't really looked
>too carefully at the photo...*I* know my car is black, so it looks black 
>in the photo... 

I was waffling at it being dark blue, dark green, black or some dark shade
of turquoise (pull the picture up in something like photoshop and you'll
see why the color confused me :)

>There actually used to be some very good shots of my car on one of my
>homepages somewhere.. but when I went to look for them, they had been
>replaced with some other stuff.  (I generally don't see my web pages as
>static expressions of me.. more as utilitarian means for me to get info to
>some [specific] interested parties.)

Out of curiousity what other home pages have you got?  I could only find
http://www.mics.net/~matt/ (which had the moon landing thing, but I didn't
listen to it :)) and http://www.slack.net/~idiot/ which was empty.

>I was thinking this would be more difficult.. but then I didn't put too
>manny goodies in the treasure, so it had no right to be too tough.. i had
>forgotten that I had given so much info about who I "really am" before.

It was actually fairly hard for me to find the wqrp.org link.  It took me
a good 2 days of searching through various web crawlers and refining the
search in different ways to find it.

Good luck on the negotiations btw.

>Congrats, JT-

Thanks.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 16:54:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: IdiotBoy's Treasure

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, JT wrote:

> Hopefully the following will suffice as 'posting the make, model, and
> color' of IdiotBoy's car, since it is a depiction of him in his car.
> 
> There is an image at
> http://www.wqrp.org/matt-m.jpg which contains our illustrious Matt Miller
> sitting inside his car.
> 
> After quite a bit of diligent searching, I am across a Matt Miller page
> at http://www.wqrp.org/newpage6.htm.   I knew this was IdiotBoy due to the
> fact that it listed his other job as director of Operations for MICS.net.
> (which I knew because he had authority to give both myself and MTM
> accounts on brain.mics.net).  Searching a bit further yielded that WQRP
> had a photos page and there was the car photo.
> 
> --JT
> 

Argh!  I ran some searches for Matt Millers and IdiotBoys and what have
you, and I remember not bothering with the one about the radio station...
And so I continue what I believe is the longest treasure-less streak in
all of Acka, for the obvious reason that I don't try very hard at all. :)

Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 17:21:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Viruses Round 13 ends

>I give A$10 to the Twits.
>I apply for membership in the Twits.

I grant Slakko membership into the Twits, because I believe we have a
communist single player membership policy. I also note that this was nearly
sent only to Slakko becauseit was set to a priv list :-).

MTM.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 17:52:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Tabula Stuff

First off I am pleased to announce that I have been elected your new
runemaker, undoubtedly due only to JT's capitulation.

Next off is the great debunk. Essentially, nothing happened here because
not enough people voted. If people want all the gory details then I'll go
and try to find them.

Finally for this message we have an election for Senator on our hands. The
following nominated themselves:

Mr. Tambourine Man
867-5309 (or whatever e's called)
rufus
Slakko
Publius

You may reply to vote.

MTM, Count Tabula.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 17:56:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Tabula Stuff

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> First off I am pleased to announce that I have been elected your new
> runemaker, undoubtedly due only to JT's capitulation.
> 
> Next off is the great debunk. Essentially, nothing happened here because
> not enough people voted. If people want all the gory details then I'll go
> and try to find them.

K 2, I suggest that you submit your six individual Gadget repeal
proposals.  It will serve us right for not voting in sufficient numbers to
even have an effect here.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, Clerk of the Court, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 18:24:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ambassadorness

First off I'll announce thatAcka will be voting FOR all the currently
circulating INPs.

Nextly, I've been subscribed to the Agora mailing lists for a week or so
with a possible intent of playing there as well. There are currently
discussions of essentially moving Agora to a MOO or MUD. Two camps are
forming there: one wishes to try to merge Agora withan established MUD with
a small nomic element (I think, it's called Shattered World) and one wishes
to form a new mud primarily for Agoran use. The idea behind either would be
that they would have some interesting legislative decisions to make since
the rules would not be able to legislate for the MOO's physics, etc. If the
latter camp come out victorious then they were wandering about asking other
nomics to join them.

I'm non too hot on the fine details of the proposal (small p) but
considering how we've recently been having discussions about the nature of
the game I thought it might be worth bringing up. If anyone has any
questions then I can bring them up on the Agora lists.

Mr. Tambourine Man, Ambassador.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 18:37:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ambassadorness

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> Nextly, I've been subscribed to the Agora mailing lists for a week or so
> with a possible intent of playing there as well. There are currently
> discussions of essentially moving Agora to a MOO or MUD. Two camps are
> forming there: one wishes to try to merge Agora withan established MUD with
> a small nomic element (I think, it's called Shattered World) and one wishes
> to form a new mud primarily for Agoran use. The idea behind either would be
> that they would have some interesting legislative decisions to make since
> the rules would not be able to legislate for the MOO's physics, etc. If the
> latter camp come out victorious then they were wandering about asking other
> nomics to join them.
> 

Oddly enough.. I have a MOO which has some of the necessary elements
already built in.  It has a method for proposals,voting and a rules
document.  It would need ALOT of work to support as entrenched an
infrastructure as Agora has.

Does Pascal play over there?  He worked on the Original NOO architecture.

IB
:going to bring up NOO again on brain.mics.net:8888

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #269
*******************************