Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #266
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest       Saturday, August 8 1998       Volume 03 : Number 266

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 17:18:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : Feud!

On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Matt Miller wrote:
> 
> > On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:
> > 
> > > 
> > > As Founder of the Church of Odo on the Worm Hole I suggest the following
> > > Organizational be taken. Let the Church of Odo on the Worm Hole declare a
> > > Feud on the Senate.
> > > I approve of this suggestion.
> > > 
> > 
> > I heartily approve of this suggestion, heartily.
> I approve.

Thanks for the public approval, however it is not necessary for the
Action. Perhaps we should start getting around to actually Dueling a
Senator.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 17:24:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka :retracting 3382

On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> > 
> > I am retracting P3382. I like Slakko's better.
> 
> Thanks for the compliment!
> 
> When we were first discussing this, I pointed out that it would be better
> if we could avoid giving the Speaker more work.  My method only allows for
> deterministic creations of Otzma Cards, specified by the player spending
> the Swingpoints, and is therefore the least work.

Actually I was thinking about the simple, straight forward phrasing, which
has become such a rarity in acka :)

Niccolo Flychuck

> 
> (Mine also uses this to _replace_ conversion of Swingpoints into points,
> rather than as an additional method).
> 
> - -- 
> Duncan C. "" Richer aka
> Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
> Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
> Acka - Web-Harfer,RuneMaker,ChessUmpire,Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 17:52:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: More Literature?

On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Brandon Ray wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Micah Smukler wrote:
> 
> > Jerome is a Victorian-era author (I believe); the only work of his that
> > I know of is Three Men In A Boat, which makes an appearance in some
> > Heinlein novel or other.  He really ended up there because of
> > free-association.
> > 
> It's a wonderful, comic novel about, um, three men in a boat, punting on
> the Thames.  It is referred to in Heinlein's "Have Spacesuit, Will
It certainly is, there is also a sequel called "Three Men on the Bummel"

> Travel".  Recently, science fiction writer Connie Willis wrote a comic
> time travel novel called "To Say Nothing of the Dog", which is in part a
> parody of "Three Men in a Boat".  (The subtitle of Three Men is "To Say
> Nothing of the Dog".)
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of ackanomic digest V3 #265
> *******************************
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 18:12:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Hat

Almost forgot:  I trade A$10 to the Mad Hatters for hat C26.  It's been
there less than 7 days, so this happens.

I don this hat, and note that its condition seems to be TRUE, since I'm
a member of Metamorph and was before any Nomics or Churches were among
its members.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Goon Show Classics
Current Book--Sheri S. Tepper:Shadow's End
One flash of light, but no smoking pistol.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 19:45:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Primes Defined

>I guess  I'm unclear as to the problem.  This is not unique -- ANY rule will
>remain unenforced if none of the players are willing to enforce it.

I suppose so but that's only if players ignore it. The rule would still
have happened, we would just have chosen to ignore it. I suppose it's a
matter of aestetics.

MTM.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 22:09:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Agenda Bidding

Okay, very prompt now(just half an hour after submission ended), here
are the Agenda Hats that have been submitted this time.

Anyone who's sent me one or more conditions has a week to send me
eir bids.  Since the Magic Number is currently 419, the bids may be
between -279(for the very hardest conditions) to 139(for the easiest).
Anything you don't bid on, or submit an invalid bid for, will be
considered a bid of 139.

JT:

1. The owner of this hat has caused the words 'incipient', 'demise' and
'armageddon' to become part of the rules of Ackanomic through the use
of at least 2 seperate proposals

2. The wearer of this hat has never won a cycle of ackanomic.

Attila the Pun:

3. The owner of this hat has had a score equal to the Happy Number
at least once in the current cycle.

4. At least one senator owns a trinket whose description is an
anagram of its name.

5. It is possible under the current ruleset to frink lager,
said action has some effect on the game state other than
the destruction of the lager, and at least one player
possesses lager.

Slakko:

6. The owner of this Hat owns exactly three Agenda Hats whose Conditions are
TRUE.

Mr. Tambourine Man:

7. The owner of this hat has more points than the owner of any of the
eggplants associated with any of the hats owned by the owner of this hat.

8. The owner of this eggplant has won the museum door prize.

9. The owner of this hat has found the Runestone of Jukkasjarvi treasure.

K 2: 

10. Treasure 122 has been found.

11. The owner of this hat is Knurd and Knurd has some meaning within the
rules.

Vynd:

12. The owner of this hat has anti-voted (as defined in the rules) on 10
straight proposals, not including ones authored by himself, since this hat
came into his possession.

13. The owner of this eggplant is in Gaol, but was not put there because he
commited a Crime.

867-5309:

14. The wearer of this hat and the owner of this eggplant are both
Lycanthropic, and have each gained at least 10 points as a direct result
of being so.

15. The wearer of this hat has talked in a public dorum about publically
unknowable things, and has been prosecuted for doing so.

two-star:

16. This hat owns an entity other than itself.

17. This hat has been part of the same treasure as a hat corresponding
to an eggplant owned by this hat's owner.

18. While e has owned this hat, this hat's owner has received 50 points
as a direct result of voting for proposals that were not accepted or
voting against proposals that were accepted.

Robin Hood:

19. The owner of this hat is a Daring Adventurer.

20. The Chartreuse goose is Somewhere Else.

21. This Eggplant's owner owns no hats.

Publius:

22. The owner of this hat has constructed a shanty known as "The Lincoln
Bedroom", which e will freely rent to the public for A$50 per night.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Tom Petty:Wildflowers
Current Book--Sheri S. Tepper:Shadow's End
Left to my own lurch

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #266
*******************************