Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #258
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Tuesday, August 4 1998        Volume 03 : Number 258

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 00:25:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka RFC: Proposal - The Boring Word

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Michael Pizolato wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> Being a newbie I have not much of a clue so far, so I thought I'd learn the
> same way I learned to swim. Please comment on the following SPOOT-delimited
> proposal:
> 
> SPOOT
> Never Boring
> 
> 1. The word defined in Rule 106 as the alternative to a YES or NO vote
> ('baa' at the time of this proposal) is hereby known as the 'Boring Word.'
> 
> 2. The Boring Word is hereby changed to 'spoot.'
> 
> 3. Any player may publicly announce the following: "'X' is really, really,
> *really* boring. I endeavor to eliminate the encroaching ennui by changing
> it to 'Y'." In this announcement, X represents the current Boring Word and Y
> represents a new one. Such an announcement shall be called a 'Boring
> Announcement'.
> 
> 4. At an infinitesimal amount of time following a Boring Announcement, all
> occurrences of X throughout the rules are changed to Y. Any player making a
> Boring Announcement less than seven days after any previous Boring
> Announcement loses three points.
> SPOOT
> 
> I tried to make this look something like what I've seen so far. Please bash
> accordingly.
> 
> Thanks,
> Piz
> 

Structure-wise, I don't think theres anything wrong with this proposal.
The main problem with it is, it'll never pass.  The reason for THAT is
because it would be pretty easy to scam.  Lets say the proposal passes,
then I can change the boring word to Ackanomic.  THEN I can change the
boring word to, oh lets say I change it to Vynd.  Sure, I lose 3 points.
But without really looking, I'm sure I can find something interesting I
would be able to do if my name was the same name as that of the entire
game.  I could quite, for one thing...  or could I?  Anyway, the idea is
probably fataly flawed, but don't let that stop you from trying other
ideas.

                                    Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 03:01:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: SwingPoints

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:

> 
> I am giving IdiotBoy 8 SwingPoints

No you aren't.  
Swingpoints are only tradeable, not gift.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - Web-Harfer,RuneMaker,ChessUmpire,Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 05:31:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Swingpoint Conversion.

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Matt Miller wrote:

> I am converting 4 of my Swingpoints into a Bonus Vote.

This any player can do.
> 
> Not being a Swinger, I dunno if I can do this, but, immeadiately
> following:
> 
> I am converting 4 of my Swingpoints into a Bonus Vote.

This no player can do, because you need to wait 14 days before you make
the same type of conversion again.

Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> IB
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 07:10:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: Acka: really big blue shenanigans

JT wrote:
>>I have pointed my Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Too Much, Really at
>>Brie Clump, and pressed the ENERGIZE button, giving the anagram "Eric Plumb".
>
>I was actually waiting for/expecting someone to do this :)  And I actually
>know from previous CFJ's that the RBBTTDDTMR will in fact allow an
>otherwise (possibly) illegal name such as this :)
>
>So.. Brie Clump is now Eric Plumb and I hope to hell I'm wrong about the
>player with RL name of Tom Walmsley's ability to use this to cause havoc
>and destruction.  (Oh wait, he's Scaremonger (maybe) not me :)

I awake from my torpor and point my RBBTTDDTMR (which, incidentally, is a
delightful shade of azure today) at Eric Plumb and press the button marked
'ENERGIZE', thus changing eir name to B. Rice Lump.

Ethelred

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 08:41:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: really big blue shenanigans

>I awake from my torpor and point my RBBTTDDTMR (which, incidentally, is a
>delightful shade of azure today) at Eric Plumb and press the button marked
>'ENERGIZE', thus changing eir name to B. Rice Lump.

Fortunately, I don't think that this has any effect since Eric Plumb is no
longer an unambiguous reference to anyone. It is my former Ackanomic name
and the real name of another player and so it is not clear who it is
refering to.

Brie Clump.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 09:15:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: Acka: Political Uprising

I hereby announce my intention to form a new Political Party which shall be
known as the Anti-Voting Preservationist Party (AVPP). Admissions policy is
open.

Our manifesto is as follows: 

We shall always vote No to proposals that attempt to repeal anti-voting. While
we do not necessarily feel that anti-voting is always an appropriate course of
action, we uphold the right of every Ackan citizen to anti-vote and gain points
by doing so.

Ethelred

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 09:46:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Political Uprising

I announce my support for the below and my intention to join.

IB

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, L'homme a tete de choux wrote:

> I hereby announce my intention to form a new Political Party which shall be
> known as the Anti-Voting Preservationist Party (AVPP). Admissions policy is
> open.
> 
> Our manifesto is as follows: 
> 
> We shall always vote No to proposals that attempt to repeal anti-voting. While
> we do not necessarily feel that anti-voting is always an appropriate course of
> action, we uphold the right of every Ackan citizen to anti-vote and gain points
> by doing so.
> 
> Ethelred
> 
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 10:05:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: I return 

I return from inactivity.

ruyfus

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 11:44:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: really big blue shenanigans

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, L'homme a tete de choux wrote:
>I awake from my torpor and point my RBBTTDDTMR (which, incidentally, is a
>delightful shade of azure today) at Eric Plumb and press the button marked
>'ENERGIZE', thus changing eir name to B. Rice Lump.

At the time you did this, there is no player with the Ackanomic name of
Eric Plumb.  There are two players who had former names of Eric Plumb
(The player currently known as Brie Clump and the player with the RL name
of Eric Plumb).  This action wasn't specified unambiguously and so does
not occur.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 12:00:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 625 (TEFKATSC)

>>This might be grounds for a CFJ itself--see, what happened is that I sent
>>my verdict to JT, thinking e was still Acting COTC, when I knew perfectly
>>well that you had returned from Inactivity.  And then e forwarded it on to
>>you(and cc:ed it to me).  But I think that game custom will consider this
>>to have been a proper distribution.  I hope.
>
>Aah, yes, I remember now. This is probably a similar sort of situation to
>when I had problems with my computer and went on vacation by (double)
>proxy. The way I look at it, you sent a message which was to go to CotC and
>CotC got it so it should probably count.

Have you now released the verdict?  Is it safe to assume that it has not
gone to TEFKATSC?

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 12:25:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 625 (TEFKATSC)

>Have you now released the verdict?  Is it safe to assume that it has not
>gone to TEFKATSC?

I'm fairly certain that this one is nnow with TEFKATSC since last time I
looked UNDECIDED CFJs went straight to the Court. There is no initiator's
reasoning and no judge's reasoning either so you've got nothing to go on
other than the statement.

Brie Clump, CotC.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 13:21:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : something about anti-voting

In old Rishonomic a player once said of a proposal :"no way is this
proposal going to pass, I'm voting YES". Apparently, a large majority of
the players felt the same way. That was the infamous Yellow Proposal, and
the result was the Yellow Crisis. Granted, Rishonomic had fewer players,
and the Yellow Crisis was fascinating.
There used to be a rule in acka that specified that if the votes on a
proposal are a unanimous no, it passes and becomes an immutable rule (back
when we had those). In Rishonomic it is possible to amend an immutable
directly by a proposal, with a higher majority, and anti-voting has been
eliminated for those kind of proposals.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 13:22:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 625 (TEFKATSC)

>>Have you now released the verdict?  Is it safe to assume that it has not
>>gone to TEFKATSC?
>
>I'm fairly certain that this one is nnow with TEFKATSC since last time I
>looked UNDECIDED CFJs went straight to the Court. There is no initiator's
>reasoning and no judge's reasoning either so you've got nothing to go on
>other than the statement.

Perhaps I'm missing something here -- did Alfvaen judge UNDECIDED?  This
is the CFJ for which there was confusion over whether he delivered a
verdict at all, and for which it was decided that he had, indeed, done
so, contrary to your original indication.  Or so I thought.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 13:23:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Three in one week.

It is my pleasure to inform you that for the third time in as many days,
we have a new player.

Bernard El-Hagin ([email-masked]) has chosen to join us as
a Voting Player under the name of Rig R. Mortis.  He says that he heard
about us through doing a web search for Nomic and that we looked like the
most fun nomic out there, which I suppose says a lot.

Brie Clump has been chosen as his Ackanomic Mentor.  Welcome aboard.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 13:25:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Anti-voting

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Matt Miller wrote:

> 
> Why is everyone always yapping about the proposals which FAIL due to
> anti-voting?  What about the proposals which PASS due to anti-voting?
> Admittedly it's easier to kill a proposal than pass one with anti-votes,
> but that leads me to the conclusion that people have probably made more
> "anti-voting points" voting YES than NO.  How do you recognize an
> anti-vote anyway?  

This is an excellent point.
> 
> Vynd makes a fine point with not having an "excuse" to vote against a
> given proposal.  It has become far too popular, imho, to "call people out"
> on their votes.  Posting lists of names and demanding reasons for their
> votes.  If my name appears in those lists, expect a full description.
> People with hearts on their sleeves need not apply.  

I think that if someone feels strongly about their proposal, and want to
submit a version that would pass, it is legitimate to ask the nay sayers
what they disliked, and see if they can rewrite a propsoal that would
pass.
> 
> Probably not having to listen to the 8000th rehash of the evils and merits
> of anti-voting.

:)

> > I don't buy that. If people anti-vote on one of my proposals then that is
> > because they choose to do so. It is not because there is anything wrong
> > with my proposal. Maybe certain types of proposal make anti-voting more
> > likely but in the end the decission as to whether to do so or not rests
> > firmly with the voters and not the proposer.
> > 
> > Brie Clump.
> > 
> 
> And we can't let the voters make up their minds how and why to vote!  That
> would be wrong!

> 
> IB
> can't remember having anti-voted, ever. 
> loose constructionist.
> dumb as a box of hammers.
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 13:43:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Anti-voting

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> 
> If you don't care whether a proposal passes or fails then surely the best
> thing to do is vote BAA! This is what I do, anyway. In trying to grab
> yourself a few points, as you put it, you are risking that the hard work of
> the proposer will be wated due to a rejection for no reason. During my time
> in Acka the most vocal group of the anti-voting haters have probably been
> myself, Malenkai/saaremaa and JT. Other supporters of this group include
> Niccolo and /dev/joe. Do you think that it is a coincidence that all of
> these submit (or have submitted) proposals far more regularly than average?

Even thought I support repealing anti-voting, I resent this loose
association that was made between me and views and reasons that I don't
recall ever voicing.

Sometimes I ask people to let me know why they voted against a proposal I
submitted, because I want input. Sometimes I get this input in other ways.

My objection to anti-voting has nothing to do with my being, or at least
having bee, a prolific proposal writer, or with the amount of work I put
into any given proposal or set of proposals. Players vote the way they
vote, for whatever reason they choose.  I find anti-voting boring.  Acka
is big, and complex. I rarely vote for ideas that introduce new
structures, because it's already too hard to follow the existing ones.
Some existing structures I'd like to keep. If anti-voting were to be
eliminated, some new idea is bound to take its place. I'd just as soon
have points eliminated. Not by a proposal that replaces the scoring
structure with another scoring structure, but by simply eliminating them
entirely. If we find that we lack anything, a new idea would grow out of
this need. But the way to do it is not :"what would we replace points
with?" but "let's do away with them - and then see what happens". So for a
while we'll have fewer sources of cash - that's fine! In fact, it's great,
because maybe that's what we need to stir the creative juices in search of
something new - a situation where we lacked something, so we created a
structure that we can grow on. 

I can only ask that players refrain from putting words in my mouth. Some 
of the comments made by Malenaki/saarame in the last two times he left the
game are comments that I found very dissonant, and I don't wish to be
associated with the arguments he promoted.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 13:52:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: [none]

#vote 3353 y

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 14:11:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Anti-voting

>I can only ask that players refrain from putting words in my mouth. Some 
>of the comments made by Malenaki/saarame in the last two times he left the
>game are comments that I found very dissonant, and I don't wish to be
>associated with the arguments he promoted.

I appologise for anything I might have said associating Niccolo with any
views he does not hold. It was unintentional and I shall try to ensure that
it does not happen again.

Brie Clump.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 15:40:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Re: acka : something about anti-voting

>In old Rishonomic a player once said of a proposal :"no way is this
>proposal going to pass, I'm voting YES". Apparently, a large majority of
>the players felt the same way. That was the infamous Yellow Proposal, and
>the result was the Yellow Crisis. Granted, Rishonomic had fewer players,
>and the Yellow Crisis was fascinating.

Indeed.  I think I personally had more fun during Rishonomic's Yellow
Crisis than I have playing it at any other time before or since. (Of
course, as the author of the infamous Yellow Proposal, my opinion is
almost certainly biased).

I believe that the odd, unbalanced, and just plain bad proposals which
pass as the result of anti-voting are, rather than being the flaws of
the system, its most interesting and perhaps most important feature.
They introduce a certain essential ambiguity to the game, provide CFJ
fodder, and often require the use of strategy as well as skilled and
knowledgable play to work around or get rid of.  At least for me,
having such ambiguity is part of what makes Nomic interesting and
enjoyable.  Granted, anti-voting is probably not the only way to
introduce this element of imprecision into the rules; it may not
even be an especially good way of doing so.  However, I know of no
other way that seems like it would work better, and nobody else seems
to either (or if they do, they ain't tellin').  Therefore, until some
alternative appears, I will continue to vote to keep anti-voting.

Furthermore, my personal guess, derived both from my voting strategy
and what I can see of that of the game at large, is that a harfy
(though not necessarily Harfy) proposal is significantly more likely
to pass because of anti-voting than a boring (though not necessarily
Boring) one.  I am much more likely to vote for proposals that I
find amusing, even when I think their results would be disasterous,
than those that I do not.  That is, after all, the fundamental
purpose of Acka in my eye--to be amusing.

AtP

(By the way, the text of the Yellow Proposal was something like
"All numbers greater than or equal to four are considered to be
equal to A Suffusion of Yellow." Interestingly, snowgod submitted
another proposal around the same time, completely independently of
this one, to change the names of all entities to Belgium.  This
proposal, however, failed.)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 15:41:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Micah Smukler)
Subject: Acka: various things

If it is possible for me to do so, I join the Anti-Voting
Preservationist Party; otherwise, I request membership in the
Anti-Voting Preservationist Party.

I request that somebody clear up my confusion.  K 2 told me that
when I attempted to convert a swingpoint into 2 points, this
action failed because I had previously buried all my Swingpoints.
This treasure was subsequently found by the Twits, who appear to
own everything else in it; however, both the player/entity page
and the Swingpoint report claim that I own Swingpoints; furthermore,
the report claims that I own 5 Swingpoints, while the pe page says
I own 6. What's going on?

I read the first page of my Spell Book of Chorg.  If the proposal
entitled "A million household uses" will pass, it vanishes in a
puff of harf smoke; otherwise, it vanishes in a puff of yellow
smoke.

I offer my Spell Book of Chorg to else...if.

I go to the library and play the song of a hunchback whale
on the ASS.

I do not go to *that* room.  I go to *the other* one.

I create an infinite number of nonentities called Brass Razoos.  I
cause each of the following organizations to own one Brass Razoo:

The Church of the Markovian Dream
The Church of the Righteous Loophold Surfers
The Cult of Seleya
The Aaronic League
Canine's Tatoo Parlor
Kerplunk, kerplunk III
Religious Nutcase
RexBank
The Player Sanctioned Organization Preservation Society
The Treasure Hunting League
They Might Be Slumbering Giants
The Anti-Voting Preservationist Party

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 16:44:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Acka: Giants

I request membership in They Might Be Slumbering Giants.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 16:53:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Leaving

Tom Walmsley wrote:

> No, I'm not leaving Acka, don't worry (incidentally, if I did would it be K
> 2 or breadbox that ended up as acting speaker. I was trying to remember
> what happened when Malenkai left when he was CotC and Speaker but I
> couldn't. Anyone want to remind me?). I am leaving the Klingon political

We had a massive thread split and e came back :)K 2

I leave Metamorph.

> party. I'm growing bored with it :-). I will also note that political
> parties seem to be little more than a way of getting an extra vote every
> now and then; something could probably do with changing in that area. I
> therefore ask at this point if any other currenty existing political
> parties fancy a new member or if any non-alligned players fancy forming a
> new party. If so, get in touch.
>
> Brie Clump.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 16:54:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Political Uprising

I too would Like to join, so the Political Party.

Matt Miller wrote:

> I announce my support for the below and my intention to join.
>
> IB
>
> On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, L'homme a tete de choux wrote:
>
> > I hereby announce my intention to form a new Political Party which shall be
> > known as the Anti-Voting Preservationist Party (AVPP). Admissions policy is
> > open.
> >
> > Our manifesto is as follows:
> >
> > We shall always vote No to proposals that attempt to repeal anti-voting. While
> > we do not necessarily feel that anti-voting is always an appropriate course of
> > action, we uphold the right of every Ackan citizen to anti-vote and gain points
> > by doing so.
> >
> > Ethelred
> >
> >
> >
> >

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 17:21:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ackanomicon Determination

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Dice server wrote:

> Dice rolls requested by: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
> Rolls also sent to:
>     [email-masked]
> 
> # Player: TEFKAHubert

Thus removing the Dice Server from consideration for Treasure 200...

- - Tom Walmsley

yip! yip! yip! yap! yap! yip! *BANG* -- NO TERRIER 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 17:24:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Political Uprising

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, L'homme a tete de choux wrote:

> I hereby announce my intention to form a new Political Party which shall be
> known as the Anti-Voting Preservationist Party (AVPP). Admissions policy is
> open.

I join the AVPP.  It's not a Political Party until we pay the A$300 (I
think), so I'm not a Criminal yet, just a Sinner.

> We shall always vote No to proposals that attempt to repeal anti-voting. While
> we do not necessarily feel that anti-voting is always an appropriate course of
> action, we uphold the right of every Ackan citizen to anti-vote and gain points
> by doing so.

I suggest that the AVPP append to the manifesto:

Moreover, should the concept of anti-voting ever be removed from this fair
game of Ackanomic, the members of AVPP shall be constrained to vote on
each and every proposal, especially those submitted by opponents of
anti-voting, as if they (the members of AVPP) (well, the opponents can
too, I suppose) were anti-voting and would gain points thereby.

- - Tom Walmsley

"Will you surrender?" 
"I HAVE NOT YET BEGUN TO FIGHT!" 
"Yeah, we noticed, that's why we asked." 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 17:24:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: various things

>I offer my Spell Book of Chorg to else...if.
	I accept this offer.  Thank you.

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Thank heavens, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and
enjoy it.
		-Logan Pearsall Smith

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 17:34:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC: Repealing Points

Here is a first draft of a proposal to get rid of points entirely. What do
you all think? I realise there is almost certainly something I've missed
but... Any comments (even "I don't think you should get rid of points at
all because...) would be welcome.

Brie Clump.

- ------------------------------------------

#submit proposal An end to points

In rule 213 replace "10 points" with "A$10".

- ----

In rule 217 replace:

"If the court agrees with the previous verdict, the player who lodged the
appeal shall be fined between 0 and 25 points for a frivolous appeal, with
the penalty to be 25 points unless the Justices specify otherwise. 

If the court disagrees with the previous verdict, then the verdict shall be
overturned to the new verdict, and all players who decided the previous
verdict [i.e. judge, or justice on a Cortex] shall be fined between 0 and
10 points, the penalty to be 1 unless the Justices specify otherwise.

Further, if the judgement (A) under appeal included a penalty for a
frivolous appeal or a judgement overturn, and judgement A is itself
overturned, then points shall be awarded to the parties penalised by
judgement (A) as described above, to exactly balance the points lost from
that judgement."

with:

"If the court agrees with the previous verdict, the player who lodged the
appeal shall be fined between A$0 and A$50 for a frivolous appeal, with the
penalty to be A$25 unless the Justices specify otherwise. 

If the court disagrees with the previous verdict, then the verdict shall be
overturned to the new verdict, and all players who decided the previous
verdict [i.e. judge, or justice on a Cortex] shall be fined between A$0 and
A$10, the penalty to be A$1 unless the Justices specify otherwise.

Further, if the judgement (A) under appeal included a penalty for a
frivolous appeal or a judgement overturn, and judgement A is itself
overturned, then AckaDollars shall be awarded to the parties penalised by
judgement (A) as described above, to exactly balance the points lost from
that judgement."

Delete section VI d) of rule 250 and relable all other subsections of
section VI of ths rule that carried a lable with a letter later in the
alphabet than d such that the new letter used is one position previous in
the alphabet to the old one.

- ----

In rule 313 replace "15 points" with "A$15".

- ----

In rule 330 replace both "1 point" with "A$1" and "2 points" with "A$2" and
"3 points" with "A$3" and all other occurences of the word "points in this
rule with "AckaDollars".

- ----

In rule 374 replace "3 points" with "A$3" and "2 points" with "A$2".

- ----

In rule 404 replacce "10 points" with "A$10".

- ----

In rule 419.2 replace "7 points" with "A$7".

- ----

In rule 437 replace "10 points" with "A$10".

- ----

In rule 540.1 replace:

"Whenever a Player gains points from Rule 1112, eir Harf Value goes up by
the number of points e gains thereby."

with:

"Whenever a Player has a harfy proposal accepted in accordance with Rule
1112, eir Harf Value goes up by 5."

- ----

In rule 593 replace "5 points" and "20 points" with "A$5" and "A$20"
respectively.

- ----

Delete the following text from rule 620:

" If this payment would force a player to go into debt, the Standard Harfer
Fee is not paid, but instead the Goose becomes grumpy and bites its owner,
inflicting a 9-point penalty."

In the same rule replace "lowest score" with "lowest total wealth" in all
places that it occurs.

In the same rule replace:

"6) A player possessing a Chartreuse Goose Egg may take the Goose off the
hands of any player who possesses it, provided the Goose owner agrees to
the transaction, and pays a mutually agreed upon amount of currency (of at
least A$50) to the Treasury. The Egg owner will receive from the Treasury
the same amount that the Goose owner payed in, as compensation. 

7) Upon a player who possesses the Goose achieving any of the following
titles, the Goose is transferred Somewhere Else: Commander of the Blue
Cross, Officer of the Blue Cross, Sage o'Doe Gas, Agent of KAOS, Angry
Villager. If the event which granted one of these titles also would have
established a winning condition had the player not had the Goose, this
transfer is deemed to have occurred an infinitesimal amount of time after
that event."

with:

"6) Upon a player who possesses the Goose achieving any of the following
titles, the Goose is transferred Somewhere Else: Commander of the Blue
Cross, Officer of the Blue Cross, Sage o'Doe Gas, Angry Villager. If the
event which granted one of these titles also would have established a
winning condition had the player not had the Goose, this transfer is deemed
to have occurred an infinitesimal amount of time after that event."

- ----

In rule 666 delete the phrase "Chartreuse Goose Eggs, " from section b).
Delete also section d), g) and i) of the same rule and remove the phrase ",
and the Magic Number is reset to its base value" from section j) of this rule.

{{The rule harfer may modify rule 666 by relabling any sections in any
manner e deems appropriate. E may do this for one week starting now and it
need not be done as a public action but can bedone merely by posting the
new version of rules in HTML format on the internet. [I can't be bothered
figuring out the new lables and it will be easy for breadbox to do when he
is modifying the rule I expect.]}}

- ----

In rule 670 replace "2 points" with A$2" and "5 points" with "A$5".

- ----

In rule 709 delete the string " gaining points,"

- ----

Delete section 5) subsection a) from rule 710 and relable all other
subsections of section 5) of ths rule that carried a lable with a letter
later in the alphabet than a such that the new letter used is one position
previous in the alphabet to the old one.

- ----

In rule 810 replace "7 points" with "A$7".

- ----

In rule 901 replace "3 extra points" with "an additional A$3" and "1 extra
point" with "an additional A$1"

- ----

In rule 909 replace all occurences of the phrase "6 points" with "A$6" and
the phrase "3 points" with "A$3"

- ----

In rule 910 replace:

"Vile prophecies (5 pages): These are pages describing all manner of
terrible events that are to befall the reader in the near future. The
reader of one of these pages suffers a loss of 5 points. 

Inner workings (5 pages): These pages give glimpses into some of the basic
workings of the universe of mortal men, at a price. The reader gains A$50,
but loses 5 points."

with:

"Vile prophecies (5 pages): These are pages describing all manner of
terrible events that are to befall the reader in the near future. The
reader of one of these pages is such a gibbering wreck that e is unable to
leave the library for the next week. 

Inner workings (5 pages): These pages give glimpses into some of the basic
workings of the universe of mortal men, at a price. The reader gains A$50,
but is such a gibbering wreck that e is unable to leave the library for the
next week."

and replace "15 points" with "A$15" and "20 points" with "A$20".

- ----

In rule 913 replace the string "ten points being deducted from the score of
the Guest of Honour." with the string "the Guest of Honour being fined
A$10" and delete the string "The player in possession of the Great Trombone
of Ackanomia, if such an entity exists, will lead the Parade and receive
not one but ten points.". In the same rule replace "one point" with "A$1"
and "points" with "AckaDollars".

- ----

In rule 915 replace:

"A Forehead Tribunal is a Hearing. The player who summoned the Forehead
Tribunal is the Hearing Harfer and is called the Top Cop while it is in
session. The valid responses are, "Yes, 'is toppy's a copy." and "No, 'is
peak's unique." If the verdict is that "Yes, 'is toppy's a copy.", the
offending Prosthetic Forehead is destroyed and the player who described it
loses two points. Otherwise, the player who called the Forehead Tribunal
forfeits 5 A$ to the Treasury."

with:

"A Forehead Tribunal is a Hearing. The player who summoned the Forehead
Tribunal is the Hearing Harfer and is called the Top Cop while it is in
session. The valid responses are, "Yes, 'is toppy's a copy." and "No, 'is
peak's unique." If the verdict is that "Yes, 'is toppy's a copy.", the
offending Prosthetic Forehead is destroyed and the player who described it
loses A$5. Otherwise, the player who called the Forehead Tribunal forfeits
A$5 to the Treasury.".

- ----

Delete the following text from rule 927:

"Any players who vote against a proposal made by the First Citizen will
receive no points for anti-voting. "

- ----

In rule 933 replace:

"If the owner of the Robe is ever penalized some number of points for
failing to deliver a verdict on a CFJ, failing to respond to a CFJ, or for
having a CFJ overturned, they immediately lose the priceless Robe, and it
goes Somewhere Else."

with:

"If the owner of the Robe ever fails to deliver a verdict on a CFJ, oone of
their judgements on a CFJ is overturned, they immediately lose the
priceless Robe, and it goes Somewhere Else."

- ----

In rule 950 replace "points" with "AckaDollars".

- ----

In rule 964 replace "6 points" with "A$6" and "2 points" with "A$2".

- ----

In rule 1044 replace:

"a. A Player may, as a public action, convert any positive number of his
own Swingpoints into twice as many points (which are added to his score)."

with:

"a. A Player may, as a public action, convert any positive number of his
own Swingpoints into twice as many AckaDollars."

- ----

In rule 1112 replace all occurences of the phrase "5 points" with "A$5".
Also, delete from the same rule the following string:

" (a score change based on proposal content)"

- ----

In rule 1129 delete the first occurence of the string "points or ". Then,
in the same rule, replace the string:

"If the penalty involved a loss of points, the penalized player's score
(after having the penalty revoked) will be raised to the first prime number
higher than their current score. If the penalty involved a loss of
currency, the player with the most currency (in case of a tie, the player
with the most currency whose Ackanomic name occurs first alphabetically)
must give the new player currency, the amount of which must be positive and
non-zero. The player cannot be selected to give themselves currency. In
this case, whichever player (other than the penalized player) with the most
vowels in their name will give the penalized player a positive non-zero
amount of currency."

with the string:

"After the penalty has been revoked, the player will then gain an
additional A$5.

[i.e. if a player had A$900 and then lost A$76 and then complained about
this then they would have A$905 afterwards]"

- ----

In rule 1211 replace "11 points" with "A$11"

- ----

Delete the following from rule 1213:

"The Belt Holder shall be awarded 3 Points plus the number of donkeys he
successfully grabbed that game."

- ----

In rule 1215 replace all occurrences of the phrase "3 points" with "A$6"
and all occurrences of the phrase "3 points" with "A$3". Do the same in
rule 1216.

Again in rule 1215, replace:

"The seconds scores are not changed in this case. "

with:

"In this case there is no effect for the seconds; neither of them gain or
lose any money."

- ----

In rule 1350 replace "5 points" with "A$5". 

- ----

In rule 593 replace:

"C. Archaeologist 

The Office of Archaeologist has one seat. This seat is filled or
transferred only as follows: At the end of a Cycle, this seat is
transferred to the single voting player who had the highest score when the
cycle ended, which was both a prime number and not greater than or equal to
the Magic Number at that time, and who is not already a Scientist other
than the Archaeologist. If no such player exists, this seat is not
transferred (nor filled if vacant)."

with:

"C. Archaeologist 

The Office of Archaeologist has one seat. This seat is filled or
transferred only as follows: At the end of a Cycle, this seat is
transferred to the single voting player who had the largest number of
proposals accepted during the cycle that has just ended, and who is not
already a Scientist other than the Archaeologist. If no such player exists,
this seat is not transferred (nor filled if vacant)."

- ----

From rule 600 delete the strings "Rule 603, " and:

"A Cycle Win CFJ shall be judged INVALID if the Scorekeeper has judged its
author to have achieved a Winning Condition within the last 3 days, and
no-one has yet objected to the Scorekeeper's announcement."

- ----

ammend rule 605 by deleting the following text:

"This win, if it occurs, shall occur immediately after the score changes as
a result of the Proposal being accepted are applied. "

- ----

Delete the first paragraph of rule 668 and rename that rule to "Right
Handed Grapefruit"

- ----

Ammend rule 594.1 by replacing:

" If the gadget was indestructible, three points are deducted from the
score of the Scroll of Crumble's owner."

with:

" If the gadget was indestructible, the Scroll of Crumble's owner loses A$3."

- ----

In rule 594.5 replace "one point" with "A$1"

- ----

Delete the following sentence from rule 594.15:

"The Laser will also deduct 5 points from the author of the Proposal's
score, if the author is a player."

- ----

In rule 594.21 replace the phrase "one point" with "A$1".

- ----

In rule 1240.12 replace "10 points" with "A$10"

- ----

Repeal rule 594.22 (Electrolux)

- ----

Repeal Rule 594.12 (Gimme Shelter)

- ----

Repeal rule 607 (Winning by agenda)

- ----

Repeal rule 671 (Nemesis Eggplants and Agenda Hats)

- ----

Repeal rule 675 (Mercury Poisoning)

- ----

Repeal rule 431 (Illuminatus)

- ----

Repeal rule 1313 (Tornado)

- ----

Repeal rule 1131 (Happiness)

- ----

Repeal rule 919 (Brass Monkey).

- ----

Repeal rule 911 (Great Trombone).

- ----

Repeal rule 508 (Fortnightly dividends).

- ----

Repeal Rule 410 (Scorekeeper) {{[Sorry Alfvaen :-)]}}.

- ----

Repeal rule 205 (When Score Changes Take Effect).

- ----

Repeal Rule 206 (Keep 'Em In The Game).

- ----

Repeal rule 207 (Scoring When A Proposal's Voting Results are Reported).

- ----

Repeal rule 207.1 (That's just silly).

- ----

Repeal Rule 207.3 (Foolishness).

- ----

Repeal rule 209 (Modesty and Pride).

- ----

Repeal Rule 210 (Literature).

- ----

Repeal rule 603 (Winning by points)

- ----

Repeal rule 344 (Weasel Words).

- ----

Repeal rule 319 (Unanimity Is Lovely (although not so lovely as it used to
be)).

- ----

Repeal rule 594.3 (Whamiol)

- ----

Create a new rule called "Payment for Proposals" reading as follows:

"Whenever a player has a proposal accepted e gains A$2. Whenever a player
has a proposal rejected e loses A$1. 

Whenever a player votes on a proposal e gains A$1. Whenever an active,
voting player who is not a newbie fails to vote on a proposal e shall lose
A$1."

- ----

Ammend rule 505 by replacing:

"The standard Harfer Fee is A$25."

with:

"The Standard Harfer Fee is A$30." {{[These proposals will probably devalue
the AckaDollar slightly.]}}

- ----

In rule 405 replace:

"(iii) As an additional Privilege of Office, the Speaker shall receive a
monthly salary equal to A$10 more than the Standard Harfer Fee. 2

with:

"(iii) As an additional Privilege of Office, the Speaker shall receive a
monthly salary equal to 150% of the Standard Harfer Fee."

- ----

In rule 412 replace:

"The Privileges of the Financier are: 

a) To receive the usual salary for a Functional Officer."

with:

"The Privileges of the Financier are: 

a) To receive a salary of twice the Standard Harfer Fee.

b) To seek and appoint Assistant Financiers (who must be volunteers) to
help maintain the entity logs. {{[This proposal adds *a lot* of extra work
for the financier. essentially they now have to do the work of the
scorekeeper as well now]}}

This second privilege may be used even by an acting officer."

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #258
*******************************