Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #256
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Monday, August 3 1998        Volume 03 : Number 256

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 00:23:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Billboard

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
>I meant to do this a week or two ago, but better late than never:
>
>I create a trinket called "Zoot Suit Riot", with description as follows:
>
>A carnival in the deep South, in the middle of the wide open spaces.
>On the sixth night, there is a zoot suit riot, with gigantic cherry-shaped
>balloons being popped all over the place.  Spiced brandy is served on
>a stein with a ram carved on the side.  Young Japanese cross-dressers
>fight with UFO aliens, who later flee on horses.

I'm afraid this trinket creation does not occur since no value for the
trinket was specified.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 01:30:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Cortex

>I hereby create a Cortex, called "Cortez's Courtly Cortege".

With Alfvaen's consent, I will claim ownership of the above undermanned
cortex, thereby making it active.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 01:53:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : Feud!

As Founder of the Church of Odo on the Worm Hole I suggest the following
Organizational be taken. Let the Church of Odo on the Worm Hole declare a
Feud on the Senate.
I approve of this suggestion.

The Church of Odo on the Worm Hole, the Church that was a Church, became a
Cult and then became a Church again. The first and only Organization to
become an idependent member of Internomic, the Organization that was
created to promote change declares that it is Feuding the Senate - that
embelm of conservatism, Mover of the Vulcan Dictatorship.

Make It So!

Niccolo Flychuck
Founder of the Chruch of Odo on the Worm Hole

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 01:54:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : Where the Pyraic Frobnotzer goes (fwd)

Now that I look at my previous post it seems that I had akca instead of
acka in teh subject line. I believe this caused my earlier attempt to
fail.
So...

I am attaching the titanium node of my pyraic frobnotzer to the noun
'Senators' in the sentence "The Senators are collectively a Unique
Organization known as the Senate." in R411.

I am attaching the green jumblium node of the same pyraic forbnotzer to
the noun 'Swingers' in the string "excluding Swingers on Vacation" in
section 2a of R1044.

I am setting off the pyraic frobnotzer and waiting to see what happens.

Niccolo Flychuck

- ------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 01:58:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: [none]

#vote 3341 b y y n y y b y n b
#vote 3351 y y n y n n y y n 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 02:44:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : Where the Pyraic Frobnotzer goes (fwd)

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:
>Now that I look at my previous post it seems that I had akca instead of
>acka in teh subject line. I believe this caused my earlier attempt to
>fail.
>So...

I've never seen any claim that a misspelled subject line causes an action
to fail, so I don't believe it did.

>I am attaching the titanium node of my pyraic frobnotzer to the noun
>'Senators' in the sentence "The Senators are collectively a Unique
>Organization known as the Senate." in R411.

This failed since it was already gyrating.

>I am attaching the green jumblium node of the same pyraic forbnotzer to
>the noun 'Swingers' in the string "excluding Swingers on Vacation" in
>section 2a of R1044.

This also failed since it was already gyrating.

>I am setting off the pyraic frobnotzer and waiting to see what happens.

However, I personally don't want to see all swingers become senators.
Especially since there are only 4 senate seats and more than that number
of swingers.

Therefore, I read my Scroll of Crumble.
I specify the gyrating Pyraic Frobnotzer currently in the possession of
Nicollo Flychuck.
The text on the scroll reads:
"Stop stop stop this infernally gyrating device.
I couldn't have my fun, so I'm not gonna be nice."

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 02:56:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : Where the Pyraic Frobnotzer goes (fwd)

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, JT wrote:

> >I am setting off the pyraic frobnotzer and waiting to see what happens.
> 
> However, I personally don't want to see all swingers become senators.
> Especially since there are only 4 senate seats and more than that number
> of swingers.

This wouldn't have made all Swingers Senators.  It just would have made
Party Hall the Senate.

- -- 
Duncan C. "when is someone going to succeed with a PF" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - Web-Harfer,RuneMaker,ChessUmpire,Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 03:24:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Cortex

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Thierry Joffrain wrote:

> >I hereby create a Cortex, called "Cortez's Courtly Cortege".
> 
> With Alfvaen's consent, I will claim ownership of the above undermanned
> cortex, thereby making it active.

I thought you hadn't made yourself a Justice yet.  You have to do that
first I believe.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - Web-Harfer,RuneMaker,ChessUmpire,Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 03:53:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : Where the Pyraic Frobnotzer goes (fwd)

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
>This wouldn't have made all Swingers Senators.  It just would have made
>Party Hall the Senate.

And give them the powers of the senate (such as quorum call and the like).
I basically decided I didn't want to think about it, that I had it within
my means to stop it, and so did so :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 07:43:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Challenge (J. M. Bear)

>"Here we are, born to be kings" JT was saying to me, "We're
>the princes of the universe." I nodded politely; confused
>about what he was on about. After a brief pause he then
>asked me to challenge J. M. Bear to a duel. "Why?" I asked.
>"In the end there can be only one!!" he responded. I haven't
>a clue what he was on about but that's never stopped me
>before. So, erm, J. M. Bear, consider yourself challenged.
>Choose your field of battle and your second.
>Eric Plumb.

I accept the challenge. I choose Alfvaen as my second and
Single Capture Go as battlefield.
J. M. Bear

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 09:06:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Acka: Proxy

I proxy my support to the Church of Seleya.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 09:32:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : Feud!

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:

> 
> As Founder of the Church of Odo on the Worm Hole I suggest the following
> Organizational be taken. Let the Church of Odo on the Worm Hole declare a
> Feud on the Senate.
> I approve of this suggestion.
> 

I heartily approve of this suggestion, heartily.

IB

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 09:57:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: Bernard El-Hagin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Veeeery confused newbie!

Hello everyone,

	I don't even know where to start. I'm new here and I'm not
even sure if this post is supposed to be sent to this list or to one
of the billion other acka-* lists. Anyway, like most of you I first
read about Nomic in Scientific American and have never found people
sick enough to play it...UNTIL NOW!!! I heard that newbies get a
mentor (hello JF) so I'm begging for one! Hope to join in real soon.

Cheers,

Rig R. Mortis

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 10:07:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proxy

ThinMan wrote:
> I proxy my support to the Church of Seleya.

I already approved of him joining, thus JT is accepted as a member.
Er, if I have to suggest it, I do so, and approve of the suggestion, and
ThinMan is proxied so it happens.  In any case, welcome to Seleya, JT.

Looking for one more member so we can turn the cult "The Church of Seleya"
into a church again.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 10:09:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Michael Pizolato" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A new observer

Vynd wrote:
>>Three iobservers in what, a week?  I haven't said hello to any of them
>>yet, I don't think.  So let me now say: Shove off, ya posers!  Join the
>>game for real!

OK. I just finished reading the weekend's worth of stuff. You're all insane.
That's good.

It's probably just as easy to harf what's going on by playing as by
observing, so where do I sign?

- -m

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 10:16:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Bernard El-Hagin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Veeeery confused newbie!

Geez! I forgot to introduce myself. Sorry. Here goes... My name is
Bernard El-Hagin and I love Cheese Doodles. Whew, I was afraid I'd
start getting mail beginning with "Hi Rig".

Cheers,

Rig R. Mortis

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 10:26:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A new observer

pizolati wrote:
> Vynd wrote:
> >>Three iobservers in what, a week?  I haven't said hello to any of them
> >>yet, I don't think.  So let me now say: Shove off, ya posers!  Join the
> >>game for real!
> 
> OK. I just finished reading the weekend's worth of stuff. You're all insane.
> That's good.
> 
> It's probably just as easy to harf what's going on by playing as by
> observing, so where do I sign?

Go read the rules in the 250's.  The official web site for the game is at
http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/Nomic/Acka/index.html and the rules are at
http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/acka/rules/rules.html (or just follow
the links from the main site; note that you probably want the rules-by-100s
page rather than all the rules at once).

To summarize, you need to mail the registrar with this info:
* your email address,
* your real name,
* the Ackanomic name you wish to use
And optionally you may also tell him:
* which Acka player convinced you to join Acka (if there is one),
* how you heard about Acka,
* and you may elect to be a non-voting player instead of a voting player.

Oh, and this goes for all the new observers - that is why I mailed it to
the public list.  It is not snowgod's disease.

Newbies, you will probably learn soon enough about snowgod's disease -
which means sending mail intended to be private to the public lists.
This most often happens when carelessly replying to a message on this
list without paying attention to where your replies are going; most list
messages have a reply-to which sends replies back to the lists, but
acka-priv and acka-games-priv are special lists which set the reply-to
to the author.  You can still get burned on these lists if you set
"group reply" (or similar features with other names in various mail
programs) which replies to all recipients and the sender of a message,
instead of just the reply-to address.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 10:51:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proxy

>Looking for one more member so we can turn the cult "The Church of Seleya"
>into a church again.

Okay then, why not. I leave the church of banna and apply for membership in
any organisation which happens to have "Seleya" in it's name, be it a
church, a cult or a cult pretending to be a church.

Brie Clump.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 10:59:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proxy

> >Looking for one more member so we can turn the cult "The Church of Seleya"
> >into a church again.
> 
> Okay then, why not. I leave the church of banna and apply for membership in
> any organisation which happens to have "Seleya" in it's name, be it a
> church, a cult or a cult pretending to be a church.
> 
> Brie Clump.

I suggest The Church of Seleya accept Brie Clump as a member.
I approve this action (JT still needs to before it occurs).

I suggest The Church of Seleya become a Church.
I approve this action (JT, approve this one *after* the above, so it
will occur legally, i.e., when TCoS has 4 members, and then Brie Clump
will also have to approve).

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 11:10:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A new player

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, JT wrote:

> This is a busy week for observers and new players it seems.
> 
> We have been joined by Tom Meuller (email address of [email-masked]).
> He has chosen the Ackanomic name of Studge.  He heard about the game from
> official Ackanomic Web page, and will be joining us as a voting player.
> 
> Slakko has been chosen as eir mentor, but I'm sure that I speak for
> everyone when I say that any of us will be more than happy to answer any
> questions he might have.   Please join me in giving him a warm welcome. 

I accept this assignment of Mentorship.
I'm not sure whether I have to, but I do it anyway.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - Web-Harfer,RuneMaker,ChessUmpire,Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 11:10:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proxy

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
>I suggest The Church of Seleya accept Brie Clump as a member.
>I approve this action (JT still needs to before it occurs).

I approve of this action, therefore the cult called the Church of Seleya
now has 4 members.

>I suggest The Church of Seleya become a Church.
>I approve this action (JT, approve this one *after* the above, so it
>will occur legally, i.e., when TCoS has 4 members, and then Brie Clump
>will also have to approve).

I approve of this action, so we just are waiting on Brie Clump.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 11:13:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Challenge (J. M. Bear)

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Frank Schmidt wrote:
>I accept the challenge. I choose Alfvaen as my second and
>Single Capture Go as battlefield.

I'm just going remind J.M. Bear that there is no guarenteed victor in
Single Capture Go (as I quite well remember from the duel I referreed
which used it :)

I also remind Alfvaen (as Scorekeeper) that *all* owners of Highlander's
Swords lost a point this past weekend since none of them were involved in
duels at the beginning of the week.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 11:15:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A new player

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
>> Slakko has been chosen as eir mentor, but I'm sure that I speak for
>> everyone when I say that any of us will be more than happy to answer any
>> questions he might have.   Please join me in giving him a warm welcome. 
>
>I accept this assignment of Mentorship.
>I'm not sure whether I have to, but I do it anyway.

Since you were in the Mentor pool, I don't believe you needed to accept
since that is the reason for the Mentor Pool if I recall correctly :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 11:18:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Challenge (J. M. Bear)

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, JT wrote:
>On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Frank Schmidt wrote:
>>I accept the challenge. I choose Alfvaen as my second and
>>Single Capture Go as battlefield.
>
>I'm just going remind J.M. Bear that there is no guarenteed victor in
>Single Capture Go (as I quite well remember from the duel I referreed
>which used it :)

BTW, the reason I mentioned this was that the Duel doesn't become official
until *Alfvaen*, the Second accepts the Duel on J. M. Bears behalf, so
that J. M. Bear could choose a game with a definate winner if he so choose
:) (and which I'd prefer :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 11:32:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proxy

>>I suggest The Church of Seleya become a Church.
>>I approve this action (JT, approve this one *after* the above, so it
>>will occur legally, i.e., when TCoS has 4 members, and then Brie Clump
>>will also have to approve).
>
>I approve of this action, so we just are waiting on Brie Clump.

I approve of this too.

Brie Clump.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 12:10:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proxy

> >>I suggest The Church of Seleya become a Church.
> >>I approve this action (JT, approve this one *after* the above, so it
> >>will occur legally, i.e., when TCoS has 4 members, and then Brie Clump
> >>will also have to approve).
> >
> >I approve of this action, so we just are waiting on Brie Clump.
> 
> I approve of this too.
> 
> Brie Clump.

Thus The Church of Seleya is now a Church.

More fun stuff happens:

The Church of Seleya has found treasure 222, the one with my gold bars and
assorted other trinkets in it.  The map was "This treasure shall be found
by whoever /dev/joe says, whenever he says it has been found."

I direct the Church of Seleya to give me the Shades of Chorg, which I
accidentally buried along with my gold bars in a rush to get things buried.
I am the founder, so this happens.  Also, I direct the Church of Seleya
to give me all the trinkets it owns with the word Jukkasjarvi in their
names, as well as the Jade Key of Yara.  I am the founder, so this happens.

I direct the Church of Seleya to give JT the 57 A$1-valued trinkets with
"Malenkai's Gold Coin" in their names, and to give Brie Clump the
Orb of Aldur.  I am the founder, so this happens.  Thank you, gentlemen.

I suggest The Church of Seleya bury all its trinkets as a treasure, with
the map "This treasure shall be found by whoever /dev/joe says, whenever
he says it has been found."  I approve of this suggestion.  (JT and
Brie Clump need to approve.)

I accept JT's offer of a spellbook of chorg and the A$7 offered to me by
Tom Walmsley.

I wear the Shades of Chorg and read the next page out of the spellbook
JT just gave me, and I select an otzma card of type Lay Off! and unless
JT messed up and gave me a book whose next page was a multiple of 5 or 21,
I now have such a card.

I offer that spellbook of chorg back to JT and I also offer the Lay Off
card to anybody named Tom Walmsley, and whichever one accepts it first
will get it.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 12:16:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A new observer (fwd)

After some gentle persuasion from Vynd, Michael Pizolato, a recent
observer to the game has decided to join us as a voting player.
He is joining us under the name of Piz, and his email is [email-masked].

When asked what convinced him to join, he said Vynd, via his eloquent
statement, "Shove off, ya posers!  Join the game for real!" was the final
straw.  He heard about the game through the Harf Project web site at
http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/harfproj.html.

else...if has been selected as his mentor, and I'm sure you all will give
him the warmest of welcomes and the support given to all newcomers :)

- --JT, Registrar

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 12:35:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proxy

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
>I direct the Church of Seleya to give JT the 57 A$1-valued trinkets with
>"Malenkai's Gold Coin" in their names, and to give Brie Clump the
>Orb of Aldur.  I am the founder, so this happens.  Thank you, gentlemen.

I thank /dev/joe for the Gold Coins.

>I suggest The Church of Seleya bury all its trinkets as a treasure, with
>the map "This treasure shall be found by whoever /dev/joe says, whenever
>he says it has been found."  I approve of this suggestion.  (JT and
>Brie Clump need to approve.)

I approve of this suggestion.

>I wear the Shades of Chorg and read the next page out of the spellbook
>JT just gave me, and I select an otzma card of type Lay Off! and unless
>JT messed up and gave me a book whose next page was a multiple of 5 or 21,
>I now have such a card.

Nope.  The book was at page 7 (I believe) and is now at page 8.

>I offer that spellbook of chorg back to JT and I also offer the Lay Off
>card to anybody named Tom Walmsley, and whichever one accepts it first
>will get it.

I accept the spell book of Chorg from /dev/joe.

I will wait until after Brie Clump has approved the pending actions before
I leave the Church of Seleya so as to avoid bolluxing things up.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 12:35:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proxy

>I direct the Church of Seleya to give JT the 57 A$1-valued trinkets with
>"Malenkai's Gold Coin" in their names, and to give Brie Clump the
>Orb of Aldur.  I am the founder, so this happens.  Thank you, gentlemen.

I thank the church for this kind gift.

>I suggest The Church of Seleya bury all its trinkets as a treasure, with
>the map "This treasure shall be found by whoever /dev/joe says, whenever
>he says it has been found."  I approve of this suggestion.  (JT and
>Brie Clump need to approve.)

I approve of this sugestion.

>I offer that spellbook of chorg back to JT and I also offer the Lay Off
>card to anybody named Tom Walmsley, and whichever one accepts it first
>will get it.

In the event that it was offered to me I accept this card from /dev/joe. I
then offer to trade this same card to any player who is capable of taking
the name Hubert in exchange for A$7.

Brie Clump.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 13:42:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Challenge (J. M. Bear)

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, JT wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Frank Schmidt wrote:
> >I accept the challenge. I choose Alfvaen as my second and
> >Single Capture Go as battlefield.
> 
> I'm just going remind J.M. Bear that there is no guarenteed victor in
> Single Capture Go (as I quite well remember from the duel I referreed
> which used it :)
> 
> I also remind Alfvaen (as Scorekeeper) that *all* owners of Highlander's
> Swords lost a point this past weekend since none of them were involved in
> duels at the beginning of the week.
> 

I'd meant to bring this up before, but then again I'd meant to check the
rules myself before bringing it up.  Isn't Alfvaen, as the second,
responsible for announcing the acceptance of the challenge, the "weapon"
etc?

                             - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 13:49:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Challenge (J. M. Bear)

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:
>I'd meant to bring this up before, but then again I'd meant to check the
>rules myself before bringing it up.  Isn't Alfvaen, as the second,
>responsible for announcing the acceptance of the challenge, the "weapon"
>etc?

Yup.. as my second message on this subect pointed out :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 13:53:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Challenge (J. M. Bear)

>I'd meant to bring this up before, but then again I'd meant to check the
>rules myself before bringing it up.  Isn't Alfvaen, as the second,
>responsible for announcing the acceptance of the challenge, the "weapon"
>etc?

He was last time I looked. Not that I've checked the rules recently or
anything :-).

Brie Clump.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 13:54:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Challenge (J. M. Bear)

At 01:53 PM 8/3/98 -0400, you wrote:
>He was last time I looked. Not that I've checked the rules recently or
>anything :-).

I'm an expert on the rules. What's the question?

Harf,
Robert Sevin
"The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be
when you kill them."
<http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html>
Support the Harf Project: <http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/harfproj.html>
All your questions answered, all your problems solved:
<http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/mitch/ask820/ask820.html>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 14:09:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Challenge (J. M. Bear)

> >the princes of the universe." I nodded politely; confused
> >about what he was on about. After a brief pause he then
> >asked me to challenge J. M. Bear to a duel. "Why?" I asked.
> >"In the end there can be only one!!" he responded. I haven't
> >a clue what he was on about but that's never stopped me
> >before. So, erm, J. M. Bear, consider yourself challenged.
> >Choose your field of battle and your second.
> >Eric Plumb.

> I accept the challenge. I choose Alfvaen as my second and
> Single Capture Go as battlefield.
> J. M. Bear

If this doesn't work, then, as J.M. Bear's second, I accept the challenge
on eir behalf and choose Single Capture Go as the battlefield.  I also
volunteer to referee it.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Jimmy Nail:Laura
Current Book--Jo Clayton:Shadow of The Warmaster
I think that I shall never see--my contact lens fell in my tea.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 14:15:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Billboard

> I'm afraid this trinket creation does not occur since no value for the
> trinket was specified.

Oh, poot.  Didn't I mention that?  <sigh>  I give A$1 to the Twits.  (Do
we have enough to buy a Secret Lab yet?)

I create a trinket called "Zoot Suit Riot", WITH VALUE OF A$83, with
description as follows:

A carnival in the deep South, in the middle of the wide open spaces.
On the sixth night, there is a zoot suit riot, with gigantic cherry-shaped
balloons being popped all over the place.  Spiced brandy is served on
a stein with a ram carved on the side.  Young Japanese cross-dressers
fight with UFO aliens, who later flee on horses.

I gift this trinket to Vynd for reasons previously stated, but which I
don't have to quote here because the Rules don't consider them important,
so they can be extradocumental with impunity.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Pearl Jam:Nothingman
Current Book--Jo Clayton:Shadow of The Warmaster
S is for Susan who perished of fits, T is for Titus who flew into bits.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 14:19:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Challenge (J. M. Bear)

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
>If this doesn't work, then, as J.M. Bear's second, I accept the challenge
>on eir behalf and choose Single Capture Go as the battlefield.  I also
>volunteer to referee it.

I await the referee posting the starting board :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 14:26:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Re: Veeeery confused newbie!

> Geez! I forgot to introduce myself. Sorry. Here goes... My name is
> Bernard El-Hagin and I love Cheese Doodles. Whew, I was afraid I'd
> start getting mail beginning with "Hi Rig".

I've never tried doodling with cheese, but I'll try anything once.
(I wonder if anyone's gotten any Cheeses recently?  I haven't been
keeping track, and I doubt it's my duty anymore anyway...:-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Pearl Jam:Aye Davanita
Current Book--Jo Clayton:Shadow of The Warmaster
You cross a lawyer with the Godfather, he makes you an offer you can't understand

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 14:39:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Challenge (J. M. Bear)

> I also remind Alfvaen (as Scorekeeper) that *all* owners of Highlander's
> Swords lost a point this past weekend since none of them were involved in
> duels at the beginning of the week.

I hadn't noticed this before--thank you for bringing it to my attention
(the Blueprint's not in the Rule Suite yet, which may explain why I hadn't
noticed it)--but I would disagree with your interpretation.  The Blueprint
states "Failure to [be involved in a Duel] will result in the loss of 1
point from each players[sic] Score for each week."  [Square brackets here
being editorial comments rather than rule-included notes.]

The Highlander's Swords were given out on August 1st, so IMHO it has not
been the case that any of the owners of said swords have spent a week
without being engaged in a Duel.  (Nowhere does it say _calendar_ week.)
On August 8th, any Sword owners who haven't Duelled in the past week will
certainly lose a point, but, I think, not before then.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Talking Heads:Gangster of Love
Current Book--Jo Clayton:Shadow of The Warmaster
It goes without saying that...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 14:46:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Challenge (J. M. Bear)

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
>I hadn't noticed this before--thank you for bringing it to my attention
>(the Blueprint's not in the Rule Suite yet, which may explain why I hadn't
>noticed it)--but I would disagree with your interpretation.  The Blueprint
>states "Failure to [be involved in a Duel] will result in the loss of 1
>point from each players[sic] Score for each week."  [Square brackets here
>being editorial comments rather than rule-included notes.]

Hrm.. Would the CSRR fix the word 'players' to be "player's" as it should
have been :)

>The Highlander's Swords were given out on August 1st, so IMHO it has not
>been the case that any of the owners of said swords have spent a week
>without being engaged in a Duel.  (Nowhere does it say _calendar_ week.)
>On August 8th, any Sword owners who haven't Duelled in the past week will
>certainly lose a point, but, I think, not before then.

That's a reasonable interpretation, and is fine by me ;)  I'd intended it
to be each calendar week, but hey.. as long as it's still relatively
straightforward to track :)

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 15:54:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Michael Pizolato" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka RFC: Proposal - The Boring Word

Hi,

Being a newbie I have not much of a clue so far, so I thought I'd learn the
same way I learned to swim. Please comment on the following SPOOT-delimited
proposal:

SPOOT
Never Boring

1. The word defined in Rule 106 as the alternative to a YES or NO vote
('baa' at the time of this proposal) is hereby known as the 'Boring Word.'

2. The Boring Word is hereby changed to 'spoot.'

3. Any player may publicly announce the following: "'X' is really, really,
*really* boring. I endeavor to eliminate the encroaching ennui by changing
it to 'Y'." In this announcement, X represents the current Boring Word and Y
represents a new one. Such an announcement shall be called a 'Boring
Announcement'.

4. At an infinitesimal amount of time following a Boring Announcement, all
occurrences of X throughout the rules are changed to Y. Any player making a
Boring Announcement less than seven days after any previous Boring
Announcement loses three points.
SPOOT

I tried to make this look something like what I've seen so far. Please bash
accordingly.

Thanks,
Piz

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 16:04:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Re: Veeeery confused newbie!

>I've never tried doodling with cheese, but I'll try anything once.
>(I wonder if anyone's gotten any Cheeses recently?  I haven't been
>keeping track, and I doubt it's my duty anymore anyway...:-)

You can get lost if you think I'm going to do those too. They'll just have
to wait for JT or K 2. :-).

Brie Clump, acting Speaker.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 16:27:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Donation

I go to the museum. I donate the Orb of Aldur, the Gingham Shovel, the
Bat'leth of honour, the sceptre of banna #3, the replica football shirt and
a pulse laser. These up by benefactor value by A$178 I believe.

Brie Clump.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 16:39:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka RFC: Proposal - The Boring Word

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Michael Pizolato wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> Being a newbie I have not much of a clue so far, so I thought I'd learn the
> same way I learned to swim. Please comment on the following SPOOT-delimited
> proposal:

It is a nice idea.  However, it would significantly increase the amount of
work the Tabulator has to do - as the Tabulator would need to change his
automatic vote-counting bot to accept whatever new Boring Word becomes
valid each time someone does it.  A fun idea, though - you're getting into
the spirit of things.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - Web-Harfer,RuneMaker,ChessUmpire,Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 16:54:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Cortex

>> >I hereby create a Cortex, called "Cortez's Courtly Cortege".
>> 
>> With Alfvaen's consent, I will claim ownership of the above undermanned
>> cortex, thereby making it active.
>
>I thought you hadn't made yourself a Justice yet.  You have to do that
>first I believe.

I believe I had done this when (a long time ago) the list of eligible
players was published. I may be wrong of course. So in case it wasn't
obvious to everyone, I make myself a Justice and reiterate my previous
statement.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 17:05:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Leaving

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, else...if wrote:

> 	Not much point in sticking around here any longer.  I leave Klingon
> and request admission in SPAM.

I suggest else...if be granted membership in SPAM.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - Web-Harfer,RuneMaker,ChessUmpire,Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 17:44:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka RFC: Proposal - The Boring Word

Piz wrote:
> Please comment on the following SPOOT-delimited proposal:
> 
> SPOOT
> Never Boring
> 
> 1. The word defined in Rule 106 as the alternative to a YES or NO vote
> ('baa' at the time of this proposal) is hereby known as the 'Boring Word.'
> 
> 2. The Boring Word is hereby changed to 'spoot.'
> 
> 3. Any player may publicly announce the following: "'X' is really, really,
> *really* boring. I endeavor to eliminate the encroaching ennui by changing
> it to 'Y'." In this announcement, X represents the current Boring Word and Y
> represents a new one. Such an announcement shall be called a 'Boring
> Announcement'.
> 
> 4. At an infinitesimal amount of time following a Boring Announcement, all
> occurrences of X throughout the rules are changed to Y. Any player making a
> Boring Announcement less than seven days after any previous Boring
> Announcement loses three points.
> SPOOT
> 
> I tried to make this look something like what I've seen so far. Please bash
> accordingly.

The structure of what you're doing here looks OK, except you should delete
#2, move the others up, and at the end put "{{This rule makes a Boring
Announcement that 'BAA' is really, ... changing it to 'spoot'.}}"
The double curly braces make this be only a temporary part of the rule, a
one-time effect that occurs immediately after the rule takes effect, and the
wording makes sure that section 4 triggers when your built-in change to the
boring word occurs.

The content, on the other hand, couldn't be worse.  This proposal is a
bad idea because:
1. It creates a lot of work for the rule harfer.

2. It has no real benefit.  This is not necessarily bad; we've voted
entirely pointless rules into effect before, but it is preferred that
new rules actually do something meaningful.  Some of the things that I
would call "entirely pointless" others would call "harfy"; this is a
philosophical issue that you'll have to make up your own mind about.
One of the problems, though, with accepting lots of harf with no real
benefit into the rules is that the rules get *really* long, and if you
look at the length our rules are now, you'll understand why I think we
shouldn't be adding any more rules without real content.

3. It introduces a "rule virus".  You see, if somebody were to change the
boring word to something that already appears in the rules, like "player",
then all the occurrences of "player" which weren't previously the boring
word will now be changed along with the other boring word.  A few such
changes and the rules will be gibberish.  What if the boring word was
changed to "the", or "is"?

We had a nasty experience with one of these things which allowed the name
of the Spelling Bee to be changed, in which K2 changed it to "rules" or
something, and then some other assorted changes, in an attempt to turn
R101 into a dictatorship for emself.  I then wrote a proposal which
removed everything in the rules that allows a single player to modify the
rules in this way, replacing the ones that I felt should be kept with
things that did not modify the rules.  The proposal is called something
like "No More Rule Viruses".  You should be able to find it a few hundred
proposals back in the proposal archive.  It was also my first accepted
harfy proposal, and my 10th consecutive accepted proposal which gave me
a (whatever cheese is given for that, a stilton maybe?), so I am
especially proud of that proposal.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #256
*******************************