Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #251
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest         Friday, July 31 1998         Volume 03 : Number 251

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 02:56:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka : akcA

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, JT wrote:

> However, if I didn't, they might now be named 'Eric Plumb' and 'Tom
> Walmsley' since the 3 days timeout for the first attempted name change
> would occur after the ack of the second name change.

Ah, someone else noticed.  I thought this was extremely amusing, and I
rather hope it happens.  But then, I'm rather hoping the Apocalypse *will*
come in 2000 also.  (When the computers turn back into pumpkins.)

- - Small Mew Toy

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. (I came, I saw, I stuck around) 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 02:56:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Fw: Acka: CFJ Submission (small mew toy)

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> My mail program is still not back up so again all you get is the forward.
> This CFJ is numbered one higher than the last one and is assigned to Small
> mew toy or whatever e's called.

In order to reduce the workload on my anagrammed alter ego and to spam the
main list further, I am publically returning a judgment of FALSE with the
reasoning "I agree with the submitter's reasoning."

> ----------
> > From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
> > To: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
> > Subject: Acka: CFJ Submission
> > Date: 30 July 1998 15:17
> > 
> > Statement:
> > 
> > Proposal 3321 is modest.
> > 
> > breadbox's reasoning:
> > 
> > Once again, we are forced to ask ourselves what constitutes a
> > preface. CFJ 414 determined that punctuation before proposal
> > "furniture" was permitted. CFJ 560 ruled that notes [bracketed text]
> > also could precede "furniture". So how about sentence fragments?
> > 
> > The obvious argument for a judgement of True would be that a sentence
> > fragment, while not completely devoid of meaning, is still pretty
> > empty in the semantic department, and thus analagous to the case of
> > CFJ 560. But I'm wondering, then, how far this can go. How much
> > digging through a proposal's text could be required of the Scorekeeper
> > (or anyone else) in order to determine its point values? When does a
> > bunch of text stop being preferatory?
> > 
> > If memory serves, game custom would argue for a False verdict - except
> > that this custom was established under slightly different wording of
> > the rules, so I believe there is no real applicable game custom. So, I
> > offer the previous paragraph as a spirit-of-the-game argument for a
> > False verdict.
> 

- - Small Mew Toy

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. (I came, I saw, I stuck around) 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Deswing

I approve.

Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> I resign as Swinger for Metamorph.  I suggest that J. M. Bear be appointed
> Swinger for Metamorph.
>
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Song In My Head--REM:Feeling Gravity's Pull
> Current Book--Jo Clayton:Shadow of The Warmaster
> She wants to see you again, twisting in the wind.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:02:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Deswing

I approve of this.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> I resign as Swinger for Metamorph.  I suggest that J. M. Bear be appointed
> Swinger for Metamorph.
> 
> 
> - --
> - --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Song In My Head--REM:Feeling Gravity's Pull
> Current Book--Jo Clayton:Shadow of The Warmaster
> She wants to see you again, twisting in the wind.
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:17:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka : Donation to metamorph

I donate A$100 to MetaMorph

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:23:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Deswing

Alfvaen:
>I resign as Swinger for Metamorph.  I suggest that
>J. M. Bear be appointed Swinger for Metamorph.

I approve of this suggestion.

I donate A$500 to Metamorph.

J. M. Bear

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 05:36:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: akca : Where the Pyraic Frobnotzer goes

I am attaching the titanium node of my pyraic frobnotzer to the noun
'Senators' in the sentence "The Senators are collectively a Unique
Organization known as the Senate." in R411.

I am attaching the green jumblium node of the same pyraic forbnotzer to
the noun 'Swingers' in the string "excluding Swingers on Vacation" in
section 2a of R1044.

I am setting off the pyraic frobnotzer and waiting to see what happens.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 11:30:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Two in one week

We have yet another observer joining us this week.

Michael Pizolato <[email-masked]> has been subscribed to the lists so
that he can observe the game and get a feel for us.  He did intimate a
possible desire to join us in the future, so I hope you'll all give him a
warm welcome.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 17:05:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: The Gingham Telegraph

This month at the Telegraph we are looking at player names. This is partly
due to the recent goings on and partly because after our article on duels
players stopped having duels and we're fairly certain that they won't be
able to stop having names. With thanks to all Registrars past and present
for maintaining the player name archive which was used as reference
material.

Long Names:
Fortunately the limit of 20 characters has prevented anybody having an
overly long name. Long names have featured quite regularly in Ackanomic
though, with examples being Horny Protoceratops, Zankafien Dourden, Bill
the Pirate King, Dread Pirate Roberts, Merlin the Happy Pig, Simon Marty
Harriman, You can call me Al and Antimatter was here.

Short Names:
The shortest name in the history of Ackanomic, with only 2 characters, is
that of JT. This is closely followed by several three character names
(previously the limit; we can only assume K 2 would have been K2 if e could
have been) are K 2, Ben, Bob and fon.

Boring Names:
These are the people who can't be bothered to think up an inventive name
for themselves and instead just go by their real name. The first, and
probably most celebrated of these (since the introduction of player names)
was Wayne Sheppard who, upon the acceptance of his proposal introducing
player names, chose for himself the name "Wayne". Since then JT Traub,
Benjamin Good, Jeffrey Manson, Kelly Martin, Ed Murphy and Nicholas Barnard
chose for themselves the names of JT, Ben, Jeff, Kelly Martin, Murphy and
Nick respectively. Chris Vogt chose to go by his email address: CV1701.

Lexically equivalent names:
The only former names that stand out as obviously intending to exploit
Malenkai's loophole are "Rule 2283" and "No other players" by players more
commonly known as two-star and The Gingham Wearer. This researcher is aware
that the latter was intended to exploit the then rule 1 Vulcan rule. We
were however unable to (read: couldn't be bothered to :-) locate the
reasoning for the former.

Anagrams as Names:
Obviously, the most common way for people to get anagrams as names is the
use of a really big blue thing. Examples of such are xebra bod (was
breadbox), Veal Fan (was Alfvaen) and Tin Observer (was Robert Sevin). We
at the Telegraph hold that the lamest such name is /joe/dev. The other
anagram names are the recent name changes to Brie Clump and Small Mew Toy
by the artists formerly known as Mr. Tambourine Man and 867-5309.

Large numbers of names:
4 players have each had four names. For a long time Phil Ackley was the
undisputed name king, having been known as snowgod, Mr. Nacho, Mr Lunatic
Fringe and frozenwaterdiety. He has now been joined by Joseph DeVincentis
(DevJoe, /dev/joe, /joe/dev and Dennis and Edna), Eric Plumb (Slagothor,
Hubert, 867-5309 and Small Mew Toy) and Tom Walmsley (The Gingham Wearer,
No other players, Mr. Tambourine Man and Brie Clump).

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 17:20:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RuneMaker

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> I see there is some confusion here. Count Tabula is always in charge
> of all Elections currently in progress. When the Office changes hands,
> the duties concomitant with the current Elections changes hands as
> well.

Here's a question of interest: If an Officer is negligent in their duties,
such that a duty has been unperformed for more than 3 days, and the Office
then changes hands, do we get 

(a) that particular duty is no longer required
(b) the 3 day period starts again
(c) the new officer is immediately negligent.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - Web-Harfer,RuneMaker,ChessUmpire,Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 17:26:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Two in one week

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, JT wrote:

> We have yet another observer joining us this week.
> 
> Michael Pizolato <[email-masked]> has been subscribed to the lists so
> that he can observe the game and get a feel for us.  He did intimate a
> possible desire to join us in the future, so I hope you'll all give him a
> warm welcome.

A big hi there to both new observers.  If you have absolutely no idea what
half of the stuff going on is, then don't worry.  A lot of the time half
of the players are like this too.  If you have any questions, please feel
free to ask me, or any of the other veterans here.  We're generally quite
friendly.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - Web-Harfer,RuneMaker,ChessUmpire,Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 18:15:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Gingham Telegraph

> Boring Names:
> These are the people who can't be bothered to think up an inventive
> name for themselves and instead just go by their real name. [...]
> Chris Vogt chose to go by his email address: CV1701.

Actually, CV1701's name was his own invention: the 1701 came from
NCC-1701.

> Anagrams as Names:
> Obviously, the most common way for people to get anagrams as names
> is the use of a really big blue thing. Examples of such are xebra
> bod (was breadbox) [...]

It may be worth noting that this was done (by Bascule, the original
owner of a The Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Too Much, Really)
by request. Then-President snowgod announced that during the week of
Passover there was to be no mention of bread on the mailing list....

> Lexically equivalent names:
> The only former names that stand out as obviously intending to
> exploit Malenkai's loophole are "Rule 2283" and "No other players"
> by players more commonly known as two-star and The Gingham
> Wearer. This researcher is aware that the latter was intended to
> exploit the then rule 1 Vulcan rule. We were however unable to
> (read: couldn't be bothered to :-) locate the reasoning for the
> former.

Rule 2283 (which can be found in the Repealed Rules web page) created
an Organization but with no means to apply for membership. I jokingly
argued that the Organization's Founder was Rule 2283, and therefore
"requested" that Rule 2283 grant me membership. two-star responded
with the above name change in order to address my petition.

Other name-scamming that I am aware of in Ackanomic's history:

Mohammed changed his name to Chaos also for Malenkai-Loophole reasons
- -- though again, not with serious intent. (See Proposal 2103.)

ThinMan temporarily took the name FiBOnacCI as part of /dev/joe's
attempt to find the Jukkasjarvi treasure.

snowgod, while under the name of Mr. Nacho, made the mistake of
mentioning that he was going to change it back. Antimatter immediately
created a trinket named "snowgod" and buried it. Mr. Nacho retaliated
by using The Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Too Much, Really to
change Antimatter's name to A Rat Mitten and creating a trinket called
"Antimatter".

Simon Marty Harriman once submitted a proposal to the effect that any
player whose name contained the letters a, h, i, m, n, o, r, s, t, and
y would have two votes. fon immediately announced that he was changing
his name to fon_ahimnorsty. However, this was before the rules
permitted players to change their names, so this never became
official. (And of course the proposal didn't pass.)

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 18:26:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Gingham Telegraph

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
>Boring Names:
>These are the people who can't be bothered to think up an inventive name
>for themselves and instead just go by their real name. The first, and
>probably most celebrated of these (since the introduction of player names)
>was Wayne Sheppard who, upon the acceptance of his proposal introducing
>player names, chose for himself the name "Wayne". Since then JT Traub,
>Benjamin Good, Jeffrey Manson, Kelly Martin, Ed Murphy and Nicholas Barnard
>chose for themselves the names of JT, Ben, Jeff, Kelly Martin, Murphy and
>Nick respectively. Chris Vogt chose to go by his email address: CV1701.

I object to the characterization above which implies that I couldn't be
bothered.  I put quite a bit of thought into how I wanted to be known in
the game of Ackanomic and have chosen (and still do choose) to be known as
JT.  Taking one's RL name is neither a sign of being boring or
non-imaginitive.  Please retract this obviously false statement.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 19:03:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: I'm back

	I return from vacation.
	By the way, you people are truly sick.  I go away for one week....
Anyway, I'm glad to be back, and even glader that I missed most of that
name changing madness.
	Oh, and thanks to K2 for the prolix proposal stuff.  The word
prolix was on a vocab test I took

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Thank heavens, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and
enjoy it.
		-Logan Pearsall Smith

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 19:03:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Secrets

>I denounce this action, or disapprove of it or do whatever the rules say I
>must do to get it not to happen. I suggest that shell#10 use its secret lab
>to build a Codex of Wizardy in K 2's possession.
	I approve

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Thank heavens, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and
enjoy it.
		-Logan Pearsall Smith

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 19:32:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Jukasjarvi Treasure

Well, good news people, Malenkai just sent me the Jukasjarvi treasure map. I've just been looking over it and I 
can certainly see why no-one has found it yet. :-).

Good luck everyone :-).

Brie Clump, custodian to the Jukasjarvi treasure.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 21:53:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Big White Gazette, Lame Month-End Issue

In this issue of the Big White Gazette, we keep from going belly-up in case
none of our contributors gets off eir butt and does anything in time.  Isn't
it pitiful what our founder will do to keep from paying the Standard Harfer
Fee?

Oh, and just for a real news item: expect a chance of email address from
Alfvaen in the near future, as e is finally getting off _eir_ butt and
making a good capitalist consumer decision.

- --
- --Alfvaen (Web page:http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/)
Current Album--Boiled In Lead:Antler Dance
Current Book--Jo Clayton:Shadow of The Warmaster
We had some good machines, but they don't work no more

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 21:54:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Once more

I am (re)disclosing the following information, which is related to the Flora
Amanita treasure.

0506030514221808250410050720201609180821121421161901.

I am also disclosing for the first time this:

04001100170001201618.

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 21:54:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3338

>> {{
>>    If the player with the Real Life Name of Tom Walmsley has the Ackanomic
>>    Name of 'Eric Plumb' or any anagram thereof, that player is renamed to
>>    Mr. Tambourine Man.
>> }}
>
>Okay then, I can't resist. I change my name to "Brie Clump".
>
>MTM.
>
I have pointed my Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Too Much, Really at
Brie Clump, and pressed the ENERGIZE button, giving the anagram "Eric Plumb".

Rex Mundi.

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #251
*******************************