Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #250
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Thursday, July 30 1998        Volume 03 : Number 250

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 09:22:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Potato

I am using my power as Beldin's Taylor to amend rule 940, "Beldin's
Pants" to replace ""
with "K 2 gains a win" where it appears in the final sentence.

K 2
living in the past :)

 Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> K 2 has found the Magic Potato.  (Two weeks or so too late...:-)
>
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Current Album--Concrete Blonde:Mexican Moon
> Current Book--Anne McCaffrey:Dragonsong
> Tell me again, what are the limits on the position of anti-christ?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 09:22:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka : akcA

I take it the attempted name changes by the entities now known as Brie
Clump and Small Mew Toy were succesfully shot down by the registar, at
least thats my reading of:

"If the Registrar acknowledges a legal name change, or after three days
have passed if the Registrar neither acknowledges the change nor objects
to it(and the new name complies with all applicable rules), then the
name change is accepted and occurs, at which time the player in question
shall pay the Standard Harfer Fee."

Just wondering, 'cause otherwise I have to charge em an extra A$ 25 :)

K 2

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 09:22:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Movement Orders

I wrap myself in the Purple Robe to ward off the early morning chill of
Acka's Winter and proceed to the Library.

K 2

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 09:39:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Secret lab

> At least two of the following TMBSG members have until 3 Jul 1998
> 19:52:05 to approve Alfvaen's Membership application:
> breadbox, Crackfoo, Tin Observer

Oh yeah - I'm a member of TMBSG, aren't I? *yawn* *stretch*

I heartily approve of Alfvaen becoming a member of TMBSG.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 09:43:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Deswing

I resign as Swinger for Metamorph.  I suggest that J. M. Bear be appointed
Swinger for Metamorph.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--REM:Feeling Gravity's Pull
Current Book--Jo Clayton:Shadow of The Warmaster
She wants to see you again, twisting in the wind.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 09:45:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Also

I donate A$200 to Metamorph.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--REM:Feeling Gravity's Pull
Current Book--Jo Clayton:Shadow of The Warmaster
Slowly and carefully saunter amok.  --Lisa Chabot

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:50:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka : akcA

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, K2 wrote:
>"If the Registrar acknowledges a legal name change, or after three days
>have passed if the Registrar neither acknowledges the change nor objects
>to it(and the new name complies with all applicable rules), then the
>name change is accepted and occurs, at which time the player in question
>shall pay the Standard Harfer Fee."

I certainly recall objecting to the name changes.   Brie Clump and Small
Mew Toy however seemed to disagree that I was allowed to object, and I'm
not sure it's been completely settled yet.

However, it brings up an interesting situation.
If I objected, then all is well and good.
However, if I didn't, they might now be named 'Eric Plumb' and 'Tom
Walmsley' since the 3 days timeout for the first attempted name change
would occur after the ack of the second name change.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 12:16:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Fw: Acka: CFJ Submission (small mew toy)

My mail program is still not back up so again all you get is the forward.
This CFJ is numbered one higher than the last one and is assigned to Small
mew toy or whatever e's called.

Brie Clump, CotC.

- ----------
> From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
> To: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Acka: CFJ Submission
> Date: 30 July 1998 15:17
> 
> Statement:
> 
> Proposal 3321 is modest.
> 
> breadbox's reasoning:
> 
> Once again, we are forced to ask ourselves what constitutes a
> preface. CFJ 414 determined that punctuation before proposal
> "furniture" was permitted. CFJ 560 ruled that notes [bracketed text]
> also could precede "furniture". So how about sentence fragments?
> 
> The obvious argument for a judgement of True would be that a sentence
> fragment, while not completely devoid of meaning, is still pretty
> empty in the semantic department, and thus analagous to the case of
> CFJ 560. But I'm wondering, then, how far this can go. How much
> digging through a proposal's text could be required of the Scorekeeper
> (or anyone else) in order to determine its point values? When does a
> bunch of text stop being preferatory?
> 
> If memory serves, game custom would argue for a False verdict - except
> that this custom was established under slightly different wording of
> the rules, so I believe there is no real applicable game custom. So, I
> offer the previous paragraph as a spirit-of-the-game argument for a
> False verdict.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 12:16:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Oh dear

I just realised something which could end up being quite annoying. As some
of you may recall, I was the treasure harfer back when Malenkai left the
game for the second (?) time (the one where there was controversy over
whether or not he could leave) which meant that I became custodian for the
Jukasjarvi treasure. Unfortunately, when my mail program crashed a month or
two ago I lost the treasure map. Was anyone else a custodian for this
treasure? Is anyone still interested in it? Should I get in touch with
Malenkai and ask him if he still has the details, and if so has anyone got
his address handy?

Brie Clump.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 12:57:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Oh dear

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
>I just realised something which could end up being quite annoying. As some
>of you may recall, I was the treasure harfer back when Malenkai left the
>game for the second (?) time (the one where there was controversy over
>whether or not he could leave) which meant that I became custodian for the
>Jukasjarvi treasure. Unfortunately, when my mail program crashed a month or
>two ago I lost the treasure map. Was anyone else a custodian for this
>treasure? Is anyone still interested in it? Should I get in touch with
>Malenkai and ask him if he still has the details, and if so has anyone got
>his address handy?

[email-masked] as is listed on the registrar's page of previous players
:)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 13:00:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Oh dear

TAWANIAAO Upclimber wrote:
> I was the treasure harfer back when Malenkai left the
> game for the second (?) time (the one where there was controversy over
> whether or not he could leave) which meant that I became custodian for the
> Jukasjarvi treasure. Unfortunately, when my mail program crashed a month or
> two ago I lost the treasure map. Was anyone else a custodian for this
> treasure? Is anyone still interested in it? Should I get in touch with
> Malenkai and ask him if he still has the details, and if so has anyone got
> his address handy?

The last address he was using was [email-masked], after itw flaked out.
Yes, please contact him.

Also, if any of the members of the treasure hunting league still have that
email I sent out with the details on what I knew about the Jukkasjarvi
stuff, please forward me a copy.  Or post it to the public list; I don't
care any more, and wouldn't mind seeing it become an all-of-Acka-vs-Malenkai
contest, after over 18 months of the treasure being buried.  I will discuss
the treasure with anybody interested in trying to figure out whatever thing
it is that has eluded us all this time.  E-mail me, or better, try to find
me on Acka IRC some night, wilma.che.utexas.edu port 9942 channel #ackanomic.

BTW, I only have about 3 weeks left before my move, and sometime around then,
wilma will no longer exist.  After that, you can email me at
[email-masked] for about 9 months; it will be forwarded to whatever
ISP I choose to join up with after my move, and probably sit unread during
whatever vacation I take then.  If for some reason that doesn't work, you
can also try [email-masked], and I should have an email
address at my work that is [email-masked] or something like
[email-masked] but don't email me at work unless nothing
else works, or something is urgent.  Also, you might be able to find me on
IRC some evenings at irc.citenet.net (normal IRC ports like 6666), channel
#pinball; I can join another channel so you don't have to listen to all the
#pinball chatter if you want to talk to me there :-).

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 14:28:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Stripe

Well, I'm unlikely to ever be Speaker again so... In the event that I am
able to do so, I award myself a silver stripe for reaching a blue cross
rank of 50 (I think that I can because CotC is acting Speaker so therefore
presumably proconsul).

Brie Clump.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 14:34:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stripe

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> Well, I'm unlikely to ever be Speaker again so... In the event that I am
> able to do so, I award myself a silver stripe for reaching a blue cross
> rank of 50 (I think that I can because CotC is acting Speaker so therefore
> presumably proconsul).

Isn't awarding Stripes a privilege of Office?  And hence inaccessible to
you as an acting Speaker?

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - Web-Harfer,RuneMaker,ChessUmpire,Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 14:44:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Stripe

> Isn't awarding Stripes a privilege of Office?  And hence inaccessible to
> you as an acting Speaker?

I don't believe so. I think that the blue cross rule only says something
like "a senator, the president or the proconsul may award any medals if the
player in question does not have as many as is warranted by their blue
cross rank". I could be wrong though.

Brie Clump.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 19:20:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Heads

I go to the Ackanomic institute of genetic replication and purchase for myself an extra head and three pointy 
ears. The odd one is on my left head. This costs me A$60.

Brie Clump.

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #250
*******************************