Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #248
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest        Tuesday, July 28 1998        Volume 03 : Number 248

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 00:57:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Belated Fortnightly Dividends, Again

Maybe when the Swingpoint awards get back into schedule, I'll remember
to do these on time.  :-)

Anyway, the Virtual Fortnight that ended at noon last Monday, the 20th,
was not the shortest I've seen, but was pretty short, starting early
on the 19th, and the only score changes during that Virtual Fortnight
was Mr. Tambourine Man losing 5 points due to Vile Prophecies, and
IdiotBoy losing 10 points from going deadbeat on CFJ 625.  So MTM
lost A$3, and IdiotBoy A$5.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Indigo Girls:Strange Fire
Current Book--Anne McCaffrey:Dragonsong
Brawny gods just flocked up to quiz and vex him.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 05:15:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: Acka: Bignose Kilroy treasure

>C'mon folks, if /dev/joe gets this clue, you have only yourself to blame
>if he finds yet another treasure :)

I meant to put in a bid yesterday, but never quite got around to it. Hope I'm
not too late.

>Oh, okay then, I bid A$35.

I extravagantly bid A$70

Ethelred

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:22:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Cubical World?

Do we have a cubical world now, and if not, why not?

JMB

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:34:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bignose Kilroy treasure

Ethelred wrote:
> >C'mon folks, if /dev/joe gets this clue, you have only yourself to blame
> >if he finds yet another treasure :)
> 
> I meant to put in a bid yesterday, but never quite got around to it. Hope I'm
> not too late.
> 
> >Oh, okay then, I bid A$35.
> 
> I extravagantly bid A$70

I believe this bid was too late, as the bidding ended at 00:24 EDT this
morning, and this one was stamped 5: something this morning.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 11:11:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Chaos Reigns

Some notes on the latest batch of proposals. (No sooner does our able
Speaker resign than everything goes haywire!)

Proposals 3321 and 3329 are, unfortunately, not actually modest. A
reminder: the nomicbot's line-continuting character is a *backwards*
slash. Sorry about that.

Proposals 3339 and 3340 are invalid by Rule 309, and are automatically
removed from consideration, at no extra cost.

Proposals 3326 and 3331 may appear to have each been distributed
twice, due to a screwup on my end. The earlier apparent distributions
were without titles, and it is of course the later ones that were the
actual, legal distributions.

Also, I have to question whether Proposal 3331 is in fact Literature.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:18:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bignose Kilroy treasure

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
>Ethelred wrote:
>> >C'mon folks, if /dev/joe gets this clue, you have only yourself to blame
>> >if he finds yet another treasure :)
>> 
>> I meant to put in a bid yesterday, but never quite got around to it. Hope I'm
>> not too late.
>> 
>> >Oh, okay then, I bid A$35.
>> 
>> I extravagantly bid A$70
>
>I believe this bid was too late, as the bidding ended at 00:24 EDT this
>morning, and this one was stamped 5: something this morning.

/dev/joe is indeed correct and this bid was 5 hours too late.
The bid of A$35 by Mr. Tambourine Man is the highest bid at the end of
the auction.

Mr. Tambourine Man, the verse that you can read on the clue will be
forthcoming shortly.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:22:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RuneMaker

I remember nomination being called for the post of RuneMaker.
I also recall nominating myself for that post.
I haven't seen anything further on this, and it's been since before Slakko
left on vacation.

I seem to recall that breadbox is the person in charge of that election?
or am I misremembering and it's really MTM?  Regardless, it should proceed
apace.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 13:06:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 634 (867-5309)

> Call for Judgement 634 - July 20, 1998
> Subject: Player Names
> Initiator: JT (Sent 26 Jul 1998, 20:15 Acka time)
> Judge: 867-5309 (Selected 27 Jul 1998, 19:04 Acka time)
> 
> Statement:
> Eric Plumb is a former name of the player currently known as 867-5309.

I am adding the following \360-delimited Bronze Torch reasoning to this CFJ:

\360
The issue at hand can be summarized as "does 'a former name' (as used in
R348) refer only to a former Ackanomic name, or any name the player has
had?  Normally, in most of the rules, "name" is construed as "Ackanomic
name" when not otherwise specified.  However, in this case, it makes
more sense to interpret it as "any name the player has been known by
with regards to his participation in Ackanomic", since the whole purpose
of that rule is to restrict name changes to avoid the possibility of any
two Acka things being able to be confused because they have the same name,
and real life names are recognized by the rules, so the broadest sense of
"a name" includes them.

I appreciate the efforts to rewrite the rules to prevent such occurrences,
but I would suggest that the rules should prohibit any naming or renaming
of anything to "the current or former Ackanomic name of any current or
former player, or the real life name of any current or former player as
reported to the registrar" so that the rules don't imply that the registrar
is supposed to track the current real life names of former players, which
do occasionally change.
\360

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 13:22:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Change

The novelty value having worn off, I am hearby changing my name back to
Vynd.

                             - The Wages of Sin

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 15:06:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alexandre Owen Muniz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Name Change

I am changing my *real* name to Eric Plumb.

I am creating a trinket, worth 6 A$, called "Gonne", with the
description:

"Invented by Leonard of Quirm. This exhibit has been removed for
cleaning. Our apologies. Museum of the Assassin's Guild."

**two-star

Good. Bad. I'm the one with the Gonne.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 15:20:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Name Change

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Alexandre Owen Muniz wrote:
>I am changing my *real* name to Eric Plumb.

*blink* Yeah, sure, whatever you say.  Fortunately, I don't believe I have
to do anything about this. :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 19:04:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka; Spell book

I offer the spellbook of Chorg in my possession to 867-5309

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 19:43:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RuneMaker

> I remember nomination being called for the post of RuneMaker.
> I also recall nominating myself for that post.
> I haven't seen anything further on this, and it's been since before Slakko
> left on vacation.
> 
> I seem to recall that breadbox is the person in charge of that election?
> or am I misremembering and it's really MTM?  Regardless, it should proceed
> apace.

I know I didn't start any nomination for this so it was probably with
breadbox.

MTM.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 19:43:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3338

> {{
>    If the player with the Real Life Name of Tom Walmsley has the Ackanomic
>    Name of 'Eric Plumb' or any anagram thereof, that player is renamed to
>    Mr. Tambourine Man.
> }}

Okay then, I can't resist. I change my name to "Brie Clump".

MTM.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 19:43:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Time Has Come

> Well, it's been fun and all, but I think you all deserve someone who's
> paying a bit more attention to the game.  So:  I resign as Speaker.

I am starting an election for the position of Speaker. Reply to nominate
yourself.

MTM, Count Tabula, Acting Speaker.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 19:53:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3338

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
>> {{
>>    If the player with the Real Life Name of Tom Walmsley has the Ackanomic
>>    Name of 'Eric Plumb' or any anagram thereof, that player is renamed to
>>    Mr. Tambourine Man.
>> }}
>
>Okay then, I can't resist. I change my name to "Brie Clump".

Heh :) Now I'm amused.  Unfortunately, I cannot object to this one :)
So, I will Ack it here and now.

You are now Brie Clump :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 20:11:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CSR

I am issuing the following CSR, which is numbered 144 delimited by VINGE
VINGE
Add the Artist: Vernor Vinge (Author of True Names) to the Literature List
VINGE

- ---------

I will also note to Slakko that way back when (don't have the date
offhand) the rules of Ackanomic were removed from the literature list by
proposal.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 23:03:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka; vacation

I make myself inactive, or whatever we have made vacation this week,
expe3cted duration 7 days.

rufus

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #248
*******************************