Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #246
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest         Sunday, July 26 1998         Volume 03 : Number 246

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 00:38:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Secrets

I sugest that the Church of the Book of Chorg use its Secret Lab to
build a Spell Book of Chorg in Attila the Pun's possesion. Founder... It
Happens?

I sugest that shell#10 use its secret lab to build a Codex of Wizardy in
MTM's possesion.

K 2

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 00:59:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Secrets

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, K2 wrote:
>I sugest that shell#10 use its secret lab to build a Codex of Wizardy in
>MTM's possesion.

Since he's already a scientist, I'm not sure it'd be any use to him :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 01:03:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Secrets

I sugest that the Church of the Book of Chorg use its Secret Lab to
build a Spell Book of Chorg in Attila the Pun's possesion. Founder... It
Happens?

I sugest that shell#10 use its secret lab to build a Codex of Wizardy in
MTM's possesion.

K 2

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 07:49:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Name Change

As I'm sure none of you have failed to notice, the game has been a bit quiet
recently. Not enough anarchy if you ask me. In an attempt to rectify this
situation I change my Ackanomic name to "Eric Plumb" (which will be my fourth
Acka name incidentally). And no prizes for guessing what's going to come next
to ensure that maximum carnage prevails :-).

Mr. Tambourine Man (still).

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 07:49:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Secrets

> I sugest that shell#10 use its secret lab to build a Codex of Wizardy in
> MTM's possesion.

I denounce this action, or disapprove of it or do whatever the rules say I
must do to get it not to happen. I suggest that shell#10 use its secret lab
to build a Codex of Wizardy in K 2's possession.

MTM.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 14:52:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Name Change

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
>As I'm sure none of you have failed to notice, the game has been a bit quiet
>recently. Not enough anarchy if you ask me. In an attempt to rectify this
>situation I change my Ackanomic name to "Eric Plumb" (which will be my fourth
>Acka name incidentally). And no prizes for guessing what's going to come next
>to ensure that maximum carnage prevails :-).

As I warned Mr. Tambourine Man that I would, I object to this name change
on the grounds that I believe it is designed to exploit the lexical
equivalence between the attempted Ackanomic Name and the Real Life Name of
another player, thus potentially opening up an abuse of Malenkai's
Loophole.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 14:53:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Name Change

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> As I'm sure none of you have failed to notice, the game has been a bit quiet
> recently. Not enough anarchy if you ask me. In an attempt to rectify this
> situation I change my Ackanomic name to "Eric Plumb" (which will be my fourth
> Acka name incidentally). And no prizes for guessing what's going to come next
> to ensure that maximum carnage prevails :-).
> 
> Mr. Tambourine Man (still).

Oh, what the heck.  In for a penny, in for the entire friggin bandwagon.
I change my Ackanomic name to "Tom Walmsley", minus the quotes and comma.
This, too, shall be my fourth name.  And counting.

Since I'm already in the Library, I play "The Name Game" by Shirley
what's-her-face on the ASS and visit *that* room.

Hail, Mr. Tambourine Man!

- - 867-5309 (Tom)

Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean I 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 15:19:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Name Change

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Eric Plumb wrote:
>On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
>> As I'm sure none of you have failed to notice, the game has been a bit quiet
>> recently. Not enough anarchy if you ask me. In an attempt to rectify this
>> situation I change my Ackanomic name to "Eric Plumb" (which will be my fourth
>> Acka name incidentally). And no prizes for guessing what's going to come next
>> to ensure that maximum carnage prevails :-).
>> 
>> Mr. Tambourine Man (still).
>
>Oh, what the heck.  In for a penny, in for the entire friggin bandwagon.
>I change my Ackanomic name to "Tom Walmsley", minus the quotes and comma.
>This, too, shall be my fourth name.  And counting.

And similarly to how/why I rejected Mr. Tambourine Man's name change, I
reject this name change.

>Since I'm already in the Library, I play "The Name Game" by Shirley
>what's-her-face on the ASS and visit *that* room.

I don't believe this actually occured as you did not state the name of the
song and the artist or artists that perform the version of the song you
wanted to hear in an unambiguous manner.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 16:31:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Name Change

> As I warned Mr. Tambourine Man that I would, I object to this name change
> on the grounds that I believe it is designed to exploit the lexical
> equivalence between the attempted Ackanomic Name and the Real Life Name of
> another player, thus potentially opening up an abuse of Malenkai's
> Loophole.

I do not believe this is legal. Rule 251 states:

"A player may change eir Ackanomic name, so long as the new name complies
with all applicable rules. If a player attempts to change eir name to
something not in compliance with the Rules, that attempt fails. In addition,
if the name change has not yet been accepted as described in the following
paragraph, the Registrar may object to the name change if e feels that the
new name is either a) too close to an existing player name(i.e. differs by
only one or two characters), or b) is intended only to exploit Malenkai's
Loophole(see Rule 721)."

It is undoubtable that "Eric Plumb" is not too close to any existing player
name, indeed, this was not what registrar JT claimed, therefore we shall
discount that.  Now rule 721 states:

"II. Malenkai's Loophole 

Exploiting lexical equivalence to alter, or attempt to alter, the
interpretation of a word or phrase in any Ackanomic document, [in the
judgement of a judge], is Annoying."

Even though it does not explicitly state this anywhere we shall assume that
the main body of quoted text describes "Malenkai's Loophole". True, the name
of the real life person "Eric Plumb" and the proposed player name "Eric
Plumb" are lexically equivalent. However, I cannot see any way in which these
would "alter [...] the interpretation of a word or phrase in any Ackanomic
document". And if JT honestly does believe this then I ask him to point it
out to me. Now, going back to rule 251 was my proposed name change "intended
*only* to exploit Malenkai's Loophole" (emphasis mine). I can't believe
anyone would believe this. As I told JT last night (GMT) on IRC, and then
stressed again in my email message requesting the name change, it was
intended to spread a bit of anarchy and chaos about the place. I therefore
hold that JT was unable to reject my name change. Therefore I hold that it
will either take place three days after I requested it, or when JT acks it.
Similar comments could be made about the attempted name change of TEFKA
Slagothor.

MTM (for now).

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 17:59:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Name Change

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
>It is undoubtable that "Eric Plumb" is not too close to any existing player
>name, indeed, this was not what registrar JT claimed, therefore we shall
>discount that.  Now rule 721 states:

Actually, it is arguable since it has been game custom in the past to
allow use of the real life names of players to refer to that player.
However, game custom isn't a rule.

>Even though it does not explicitly state this anywhere we shall assume that
>the main body of quoted text describes "Malenkai's Loophole". True, the name
>of the real life person "Eric Plumb" and the proposed player name "Eric
>Plumb" are lexically equivalent. However, I cannot see any way in which these
>would "alter [...] the interpretation of a word or phrase in any Ackanomic
>document". And if JT honestly does believe this then I ask him to point it
>out to me. Now, going back to rule 251 was my proposed name change "intended

I tried to find a reference in the rules to the web pages maintained by
the various officers being documents, but was unable to, since it would in
fact cause ambiguity (or percieved ambiguity) in the web pages maintained
at least by the registrar.

>*only* to exploit Malenkai's Loophole" (emphasis mine). I can't believe
>anyone would believe this. As I told JT last night (GMT) on IRC, and then
>stressed again in my email message requesting the name change, it was
>intended to spread a bit of anarchy and chaos about the place. I therefore
>hold that JT was unable to reject my name change. Therefore I hold that it
>will either take place three days after I requested it, or when JT acks it.
>Similar comments could be made about the attempted name change of TEFKA
>Slagothor.

I claim it exists only to exploit Malenkai's loophole regardless of your
claims to the contrary :)

However, as you pointed out above, I was currently unable to find the
rules necessary to support the registrars page as being a document.

Regardless of whether or not I can object, I still do not need to
acknowledge the name changes, thus forcing them to wait at least 3 days
before they can take effect :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 18:03:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Name Change

> I claim it exists only to exploit Malenkai's loophole regardless of your
> claims to the contrary :)

You may claim that but it only allows you to actually reject it if you
*believe* that. And since you have been unable to show me any way in which it
could be used to exploit Malenkai's loophole this seems very unlikely to me.
I can wait three days anyway.

MTM.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 18:06:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Name Change

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
>> I claim it exists only to exploit Malenkai's loophole regardless of your
>> claims to the contrary :)
>
>You may claim that but it only allows you to actually reject it if you
>*believe* that. And since you have been unable to show me any way in which it

Well I also believe that.. I just haven't found the proof to back up my
beliefs yet :)

>I can wait three days anyway.

Good :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 18:20:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Name Change

JT wrote:
 
> On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
> >> I claim it exists only to exploit Malenkai's loophole regardless of your
> >> claims to the contrary :)
> >
> >You may claim that but it only allows you to actually reject it if you
> >*believe* that. And since you have been unable to show me any way in which
it
> 
> Well I also believe that.. I just haven't found the proof to back up my
> beliefs yet :)

I don't believe you :-).

MTM.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 19:02:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Name Change

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> > On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
> > >> I claim it exists only to exploit Malenkai's loophole regardless of your
> > >> claims to the contrary :)
> > >
> > >You may claim that but it only allows you to actually reject it if you
> > >*believe* that. And since you have been unable to show me any way in which
> it
> > 
> > Well I also believe that.. I just haven't found the proof to back up my
> > beliefs yet :)
> 
> I don't believe you :-).
> 

 For some reason, this exchange makes my want to change my name to "Just
 a conspiracy of cartographers, then?"  Unfortunately, this is not a legal
Ackanomic name.   Oh well.

ruufs

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 19:19:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Sekrit lab

i sugest that the Church of banna use its secret lab to create a
Jukkasjarvi Mind Control Laser in my possesion.

rufus

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #246
*******************************