Subject: ackanomic digest V3 #240
From: [email-masked] (ackanomic digest)
To: [email-masked]

ackanomic digest         Monday, July 20 1998         Volume 03 : Number 240

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 00:54:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Ping

I apologize profusely for the belatedness of two of the following three
messages:

Today is Saturday, the 18th day of July, and the Machine That Goes *ping*
Has Gone *ping* today.  Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone
*ping* 1 times.

Today is Sunday, the 19th day of July, and the Machine That Goes *ping*
Has Gone *ping* today.  Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone
*ping* 2 times.

Today is Monday, the 20th day of July, and the Machine That Goes *ping*
Has Gone *ping* today.  Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone
*ping* 3 times.

I'll try to be more vigilant in future.  Blame it on Sid Meier.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Peter Weller
Current Book--Ray Aldridge:The Orpheus Machine
Flung any good witches lately?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 01:08:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ status

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> MTM was trying today to figure out the status of current CFJs, cortices, etc.
> Here's what I can figure.
> 
> Supreme Court:
> The Entity Formerly Known as the Supreme Court, justices ThinMan and breadbox
>   has CFCJ162, CFJ583, CFJ575, CFJ587, CFJ591, CFJ630.
> /dev/cortex, justices /dev/joe and Mr Tambourine Man
>   has no CFJs.
> 
> The following CFJs I did not find a verdict for in the records.
> Some of them may have been retracted somewhere and I missed it, or
> may even have been judged and I missed it.  In any case, they are:
> 604, "Further play is impossible" by JT, assigned to Ayla on June 1.
> 609, paradox win on the state of the rules, by MTM, assigned to Koxvolio June 2
> 625, existence of sin rules, by saaremaa, assigned to Fortunato June 20,
>      declined June 23, assigned to IdiotBoy June 24.
> If nothing more has been done on these CFJs since the above dates, all
> these judges are deadbeat and the CFJs should be reassigned.
> 
> There was some proposed mechanism recently for getting those floundering old
> CFJs away from TEFKatSC, I will have to check on whether this passed and how
> it works.  With both MTM and myself having lost our e-mail records from the
> time of those CFJs being initially made, and probably many of the relevant
> rules having been changed, some of them may be difficult to judge, but I,
> at least, am willing to try.
> 
> /dev/joe
> 
> 

Well, I don't want to be rude, but I think someone has to ask the
question: Can The Entity Formerly Known As The Supreme Court Justices do a
better job in the future, or would it perhaps be best if one or both of
them stepped down?

I really am reluctant to bring this up.  I don't want to meddle in the
internal affairs of any of the Cortexes, and normally I have no problem at
all with Acka's unspoken custom of giving Supreme Court(s) as much time as
they need.  After all, they're the highest authority, so who wants a hasty
decision?  But with so many CFJs on hold, some of them for nearly three
months, well, I gotta wonder whats going on in there?

                             - The Wages of Sin

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 01:11:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ status

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
>MTM was trying today to figure out the status of current CFJs, cortices, etc.
>Here's what I can figure.
>
>Supreme Court:
>The Entity Formerly Known as the Supreme Court, justices ThinMan and breadbox
>  has CFCJ162, CFJ583, CFJ575, CFJ587, CFJ591, CFJ630.
>/dev/cortex, justices /dev/joe and Mr Tambourine Man
>  has no CFJs.
>
>The following CFJs I did not find a verdict for in the records.
>Some of them may have been retracted somewhere and I missed it, or
>may even have been judged and I missed it.  In any case, they are:
>604, "Further play is impossible" by JT, assigned to Ayla on June 1.

I seem to recall that I retracted this one or else that it was dependant
on a specific thread which was later decided (by consensus) that it never
happened.  If I didn't previously retract this CFJ and if I still can, I
retract CFJ 604.

- --JT

>There was some proposed mechanism recently for getting those floundering old
>CFJs away from TEFKatSC, I will have to check on whether this passed and how
>it works.  With both MTM and myself having lost our e-mail records from the
>time of those CFJs being initially made, and probably many of the relevant
>rules having been changed, some of them may be difficult to judge, but I,
>at least, am willing to try.

I seem to recall it passing.
Yes, from rule 217

In addition, if a Cortex has been considering a particular CFJ for more
than 30 days, that Cortex shall automatically decline that CFJ upon this
fact being pointed out publically by any active player.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 01:17:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ping

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
>I apologize profusely for the belatedness of two of the following three
>messages:
>
>Today is Saturday, the 18th day of July, and the Machine That Goes *ping*
>Has Gone *ping* today.  Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone
>*ping* 1 times.
>
>Today is Sunday, the 19th day of July, and the Machine That Goes *ping*
>Has Gone *ping* today.  Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone
>*ping* 2 times.
>
>Today is Monday, the 20th day of July, and the Machine That Goes *ping*
>Has Gone *ping* today.  Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone
>*ping* 3 times.
>
>I'll try to be more vigilant in future.  Blame it on Sid Meier.

Alfvaen, I think your counts are off slightly here, since you posted
on the 15th that the machine had gone ping on that day.  Thus, these were
the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pings respectively instead of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Fortunately, I have absolutely no interest in removing you as scholar :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 01:58:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: An attack!

I heard that 867-5309 got mutilated last night!.

I go to the Library.

I claim that my Were-form is a were-dragon.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 09:35:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 625 (Alfvaen)

IdiotBoy is well and truly deadbeat on this so it goes to Praetor Alfvaen (as
does my PWCFJ from before my enforced vacation which Koxvolio deadbeated on
but I don't have the details of that at hand, I'll look it up later).

Call for Judgement 625
Subject: Existence of Sin Rules
Initiator: saaremaa (sent June 20 1998, 15:06 Acka)
1st Judge: Fortunato (chosen June 20 1998, 18:02 Acka) (declined)
2nd Judge: IdiotBoy (deadbeat)
3rd Judge: Alfvaen

Statement:

There exists a rule whose title contains the 
string "The Deadly Sin of Annoying the Harfers".

saaremaa's reasoning:

[None]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 09:35:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 633 (K 2)

K 2 has been selected.

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Judgement 633 - July 20, 1998
Subject: Lycanthropy
Initiator: Mr. Tambourine Man (Sent 20 Jul 1998, 08:19 Acka time)
Judge: K 2 (Selected 20 Jul 1998, 08:21 Acka time)

Statement:
JT has chosen which animal he wishes to be lycanthropic in.

Reasoning:
Rule 950.3 states:

"The Werewolf of London is a unique, unownable entity. If the Werewolf should
bite a player, that player becomes Lycanthropic in the animal of eir choice
if e is not Lycanthropic already. If e has not chosen an animal within three
days, an animal shall be assigned to em by the Mad Scientist."

JT selected the "animal" he wished to be lycanthropic in as a dragon. I'm not
sure however that a dragon counts as an animal or not though and would like
to be certain.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 09:35:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ status

> MTM was trying today to figure out the status of current CFJs, cortices,
etc.
> Here's what I can figure.
> 
> Supreme Court:
> The Entity Formerly Known as the Supreme Court, justices ThinMan and
breadbox
>   has CFCJ162, CFJ583, CFJ575, CFJ587, CFJ591, CFJ630.
> /dev/cortex, justices /dev/joe and Mr Tambourine Man
>   has no CFJs.

The only problem that I have with this is that I'm sure I remember seeing a
few assigned to golden frog which I can't remember seeing a verdict on. There
was the one where /dev/joe was both justices (!) and I also remember one
which me and ThinMan had: about whether Crackfoo and Enigma had managed to
leave the game, which I know I never judged, for example. Not that I'm
doubting or confirming you though! I'll have a look at the archives sometime
after 6 p.m. GMT (where local rate phone calls go down from about 5p/min to
about 1p/min) and see what I can find.

> The following CFJs I did not find a verdict for in the records.
> Some of them may have been retracted somewhere and I missed it, or
> may even have been judged and I missed it.  In any case, they are:
> 604, "Further play is impossible" by JT, assigned to Ayla on June 1.
> 609, paradox win on the state of the rules, by MTM, assigned to Koxvolio
June 2
> 625, existence of sin rules, by saaremaa, assigned to Fortunato June 20,
>      declined June 23, assigned to IdiotBoy June 24.
> If nothing more has been done on these CFJs since the above dates, all
> these judges are deadbeat and the CFJs should be reassigned.

I think that they are pretty much sorted now. I just need to find my PWCFJ in
the archives.

> There was some proposed mechanism recently for getting those floundering
old
> CFJs away from TEFKatSC, I will have to check on whether this passed and
how
> it works.  With both MTM and myself having lost our e-mail records from the
> time of those CFJs being initially made, and probably many of the relevant
> rules having been changed, some of them may be difficult to judge, but I,
> at least, am willing to try.

I too would be willing to try. JT pointed out a bit of rule 217:

"In addition, if a Cortex has been considering a particular CFJ for more
than 30 days, that Cortex shall automatically decline that CFJ upon this
fact being pointed out publicly by any active player."

so I shall now point out that TEFKatSC have been considering CFCJ 162, CFJ
583 and CFJ 575 for over 30 days (and probably more besides but I'll wait a
bit before pointing them out) which according to rule 217 means that /dev/joe
and myself are now considering them. I wonder what they are :-).

MTM.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 10:33:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Eleusis Game 1 - Round 2 - else...if's play

Players and Scores:
    867-5309  : 7 gamepoints (18 cards)
    /dev/joe  : 7 gamepoints ( 0 cards) (Deus)
    MTM       : 3 gamepoints (21 cards)
  * else...if : 0 gamepoints (13 cards)
(* denotes who's turn it is to play -- play will be entered only after Deus
   and prophet respond to the play)
(@ denotes a player eliminated from the round)
[MTM is Mr. Tambourine Man]

Card ranks:
Standard deck, no wilds, cards are ranked A (1) through K (13).

Correct Plays          | Incorrect plays
- -----------------------+------------------------------------------------------
 5 H (starter)         |
 8 H (MTM [#])         | 9 H (else...if)
10 D (867-5309)        | K D (MTM (JT))
 4 S (else...if)       |
 3 D (867-5309 [#])    | 4 S (MTM (JT))
 5 D (else...if)       | 9 S (867-5309) 3 C (MTM [*])

[*] every 10th card after the starter is marked while there is no prophet
[#] Invalid 'No Play' card selected by Deus (or Prophet)

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 10:36:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 633 (K 2)

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
>K 2 has been selected.
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>Call for Judgement 633 - July 20, 1998
>Subject: Lycanthropy
>Initiator: Mr. Tambourine Man (Sent 20 Jul 1998, 08:19 Acka time)
>Judge: K 2 (Selected 20 Jul 1998, 08:21 Acka time)
>
>Statement:
>JT has chosen which animal he wishes to be lycanthropic in.
>
>Reasoning:
>Rule 950.3 states:
>
>"The Werewolf of London is a unique, unownable entity. If the Werewolf should
>bite a player, that player becomes Lycanthropic in the animal of eir choice
>if e is not Lycanthropic already. If e has not chosen an animal within three
>days, an animal shall be assigned to em by the Mad Scientist."
>
>JT selected the "animal" he wished to be lycanthropic in as a dragon. I'm not
>sure however that a dragon counts as an animal or not though and would like
>to be certain.

Just to be helpful, from the definitions at www.m-w.com for 'dragon'

   2 : a mythical animal usually represented as a monstrous winged and
   scaly serpent or saurian with a crested head and enormous claws

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:51:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 633 (K 2)

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, JT wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:
> >K 2 has been selected.
> >
> >----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >Call for Judgement 633 - July 20, 1998
> >Subject: Lycanthropy
> >Initiator: Mr. Tambourine Man (Sent 20 Jul 1998, 08:19 Acka time)
> >Judge: K 2 (Selected 20 Jul 1998, 08:21 Acka time)
> >
> >Statement:
> >JT has chosen which animal he wishes to be lycanthropic in.
> >
> >Reasoning:
> >Rule 950.3 states:
> >
> >"The Werewolf of London is a unique, unownable entity. If the Werewolf should
> >bite a player, that player becomes Lycanthropic in the animal of eir choice
> >if e is not Lycanthropic already. If e has not chosen an animal within three
> >days, an animal shall be assigned to em by the Mad Scientist."
> >
> >JT selected the "animal" he wished to be lycanthropic in as a dragon. I'm not
> >sure however that a dragon counts as an animal or not though and would like
> >to be certain.
> 
> Just to be helpful, from the definitions at www.m-w.com for 'dragon'
> 
>    2 : a mythical animal usually represented as a monstrous winged and
>    scaly serpent or saurian with a crested head and enormous claws
> 
> --JT
> 

Just to be unhelpful, JT didn't specify that he wanted to be a dragon, but
a were-dragon.  So he is a person who turns into a were-dragon, which
presumably turns into something else, although I suppose it could turn
into a were-person, which then...  Well anyway, you might have to decide
whether or not a were-dragon, as opposed to just a dragon, is a legal
choice.

                               - The Wages of Sin

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:57:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ status

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> > There was some proposed mechanism recently for getting those floundering
> old
> > CFJs away from TEFKatSC, I will have to check on whether this passed and
> how
> > it works.  With both MTM and myself having lost our e-mail records from the
> > time of those CFJs being initially made, and probably many of the relevant
> > rules having been changed, some of them may be difficult to judge, but I,
> > at least, am willing to try.
> 
> I too would be willing to try. JT pointed out a bit of rule 217:
> 
> "In addition, if a Cortex has been considering a particular CFJ for more
> than 30 days, that Cortex shall automatically decline that CFJ upon this
> fact being pointed out publicly by any active player."
> 
> so I shall now point out that TEFKatSC have been considering CFCJ 162, CFJ
> 583 and CFJ 575 for over 30 days (and probably more besides but I'll wait a
> bit before pointing them out) which according to rule 217 means that /dev/joe
> and myself are now considering them. I wonder what they are :-).
> 
> MTM.
> 

Are we, and again I beg breadbox and ThinMan's pardon, now down to only
one fully functional cortex?  I changed my mind about my earlier thoughts
of becoming a Justice because with three cortexes, I thought we had things
pretty well covered.  If thats changed, and someone would like to join me,
perhaps I will start/join a cortex now, and give you guys a break.  At
least one of those CFJs was appealed by me though, so we should at least
arrange it so that one, and any other I or my partner would be ineligible
for, go to /dev/cortex.

                          - The Wages of Sin

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 13:32:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 633 (K 2)

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:
>Just to be unhelpful, JT didn't specify that he wanted to be a dragon, but
>a were-dragon.  So he is a person who turns into a were-dragon, which
>presumably turns into something else, although I suppose it could turn
>into a were-person, which then...  Well anyway, you might have to decide
>whether or not a were-dragon, as opposed to just a dragon, is a legal
>choice.

Harumph :)
Well, the CFJ only called on whether the dragon was a legal choice :)
If i did as Vynd argued try to make my wereform a were-dragon (instead of
a dragon), I won't argue that that is a valid animal, instead, I will just
note that this wasn't a valid choice and that I still have the remainder
of the three days to choose, and therefore I choose my were-form as a
dragon, which now leaves the game once more consistant except for the
ruling on whether or not a dragon is an animal.

By the time the ruling on this returns however, my 3 day limit will likely
have expired, and thus if it is ruled that a dragon isn't an animal,
while I'll appeal it, will result in else...if choosing an animal for me,
since I believe he's the current mad scientist.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 13:36:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ status [long]

MTM wrote:
> The only problem that I have with this is that I'm sure I remember seeing a
> few assigned to golden frog which I can't remember seeing a verdict on. There
> was the one where /dev/joe was both justices (!)

This was CFJ 624, judged June 24th, see digest v03.n207 for the main list.

> and I also remember one
> which me and ThinMan had: about whether Crackfoo and Enigma had managed to
> leave the game, which I know I never judged, for example.

This is CFJ 596, judged FALSE May 23rd, and I see no record of an appeal.

> so I shall now point out that TEFKatSC have been considering CFCJ 162, CFJ
> 583 and CFJ 575 for over 30 days

Actually, I believe CFJ 583 was never appealed.  There is no record of it in
the main list -- just your assignment of it to a cortex in that catch-up
assignment message, and a comment later that you couldn't find any record
of the appeal.  However, this does give us CFCJ 162 and CFJ 575; CFJs 587
and 591 are the other remaining CFJs which TEFKatSC has dallied on for
over 30 days, and I hereby point that out.

I will work on piecing together the records of these cases when I get the
chance.  Meanwhile, I have tried to assemble the records of everything else
which MTM is behind on.  What follows is my attempt to do so.

BTW, the mail archives are at
  ftp://ftp.muppetlabs.com/pub/digests/(list name)/v*.*
for stuff since June 1, filling in the list name (ackanomic or acka-games,
etc.), or
  ftp://ftp.muppetlabs.com/pub/digests/(list name)/98xxx/v*.*
with the appropriate month filled in the xxx, for older items
I downloaded all of 1998 for the main list this morning, to work on this.

/dev/joe

======================================================================
On the CFJ archives at http://brain.mics.net/~tomwalmsley/acka/ it appears
that all CFJs up to 601 and CFCJs up to 164 are finished being handled except
CFJs 553, 575, 587, 591 and CFCJ 162 are waiting to be judged by a cortex, and
CFJs 597, 598, 599 and CFCJ 163 are waiting to be judged by their first judge.
In addition, CFJ 583's appeal is not listed.  So first, I will list the
records I can find for CFJs 553, 575, 583, 587, 591, 597-599, and 602+, and
CFCJs 162, 163, and 165+.

I have included the digest number in parentheses for reference (all for
the main list, volume 03).

(110) April 17: CFJ 553 (cortex T&T: Guy Fawkes & /dev/joe judged TRUE)
                [earlier activity also exists, and yes, the web page is so
                far behind it is missing something Guy Fawkes did :-) ]
(121) April 22: CFJ 575 "K 2 is not enlightened" by Slakko (Rex Mundi)
(123) April 23: CFCJ 162 "H****'s illegal action" by K 2 (TGW)
(131) April 30: CFJ 575 (Rex Mundi judged TRUE)
(131) April 30: CFCJ 162 [TGW deadbeated & removed from CIL] (attempted to
                reassign to rufus but actually goes to the Praetor, Alfvaen)
(132) May 1: CFJ 575 (Vynd appealed)
(136) May 4: CFJ 583 "Some 'Nyarlathotep's in R594.23 refer to the office"
             by H*bert (IdiotBoy)
(138) May 5: CFCJ 162 (Alfvaen judged TRUE)
(138) May 5: CFJ 587 "Frank. monster Nyarlathotep exists" by H****t (Pandora)
(139) May 5: H****t appealed CFCJ 162.
(140) May 6: CFJ 583 [IdiotBoy declined] (Attila the Pun)
(140) May 6: CFCJ 162 (appeal assigned to TEFKatSC)
(147) May 12: CFJ 583 (AtP judged TRUE)
(149) May 13: CFJ 591 "TGW hasn't learned his lesson" by Pandora (Ayla)
(151) May 14: CFJ 587 [Pandora deadbeat] (attempted to assign to Illusion,
              but actually goes to the Praetor after a deadbeat)
(153) May 15: Pandora removed himself from the CIL
(155) May 16: Alfvaen used his privilege as Praetor to send CFJ 587 to the SC.
(155) May 16: CFJ 591 (Ayla judged TRUE)
(155) May 16: CFJ 591 (Slakko appealed)
(160) May 18: A number of appeals that had not been assigned to cortices
              were assigned.  T&T got 567, 570, 573, and 584.
              TAFKatSC got CFCJ 162, CFJ 583, 575, 587, 591. CFJ 580 was
              assigned to TAFKatSC with Alfvaen acting for breadbox.  CFJ
              580 and all the ones assigned to T&T were subsequently judged.
(165) May 21: CFJ 597 "the senators are all enlightened" by JT (IdiotBoy)
(168) May 23: CFJ 598 "saaremaa isn't the godfather" by Slakko (Wild Card)
(168) May 23: CFJ 599 "Robert Sevin is 3rd cat" by Alfvaen (Attila the Pun)
(170) May 24: CFJ 591 [TGW noted that this CFJ maybe should be judged Invalid
              because it refers to TGW in the statement, which is not the name
              of any player.]
(170) May 24: CFJ 602 "CFCJ 163 exists" by TGW (rufus)
(170) May 24: TGW asked who appealed CFJ 583, having a record of assigning it
              to TEFKatSC but no record of the appeal.
(172) May 27: has a reply to the results for CFJ 599 (judged TRUE) but I didn't
              find the actual verdict post
(174) May 29: CFJ 597 [IdiotBoy deadbeat] (Alfvaen)
(174) May 29: IdiotBoy removed himself from the CIL
(175) May 30: CFJ 603 "Slakko and Wild Card aren't enlightened" by H****t (AtP)
(175) May 30: CFCJ 165 "H****t's iconoclasm" by K 2 (Koxvolio)
(177) May 31: CFJ 602 (rufus judged FALSE)

This leaves CFJ 598 unjudged by Wild Card, CFCJ 165 unjudged by Koxvolio,
CFJ 597 unjudged by Alfvaen, CFJ 603 unjudged by Attila the Pun, and
CFCJ 162 and CFJs 575, 587, 591, and possibly 583 to TEFKatSC.  I don't
have any record of CFJ 583 being appealed either, so I think this was TGW's
mistake -- nobody appealed it.

Since June 1st, the following CFJ activity has occurred.  

Judge assignments:
(178) June 1: CFJ 604 "Further play is impossible." by JT (Ayla)
(179) June 1: CFJ 605 "Nobody used R999 action a" by /dev/joe (Pandora)
(179) June 1: CFJ 606 "Alfvaen has infinite score" CWCFJ by Alfvaen (JT)
(179) June 1: CFJ 607 "R1351 'Who Will Buy K 2' exists" by K 2 (JT)
(179) June 1: CFJ 608 "H****t traded everything to MTM for A$1" by K 2 (JT)
(180) June 2: CFJ 609 "breadbox's rules with 'currently [email-masked]' are equally
                       legal and illegal" PWCFJ by MTM (Koxvolio)
(182) June 3: CFJ 610 "OotRB is in the wilds" by H****t (Alfvaen)

Verdicts and other randomness:
(180) June 2: CFJ 605 (Pandora judged INVALID)
(180) June 2: CFCJ 165 (Koxvolio judged FALSE)
(180) June 2: CFJ 608 (JT judged FALSE)
(180) June 2: CFJ 607 (JT judged FALSE)
(180) June 2: CFJ 606 (JT judged FALSE)
(182) June 3: Fortunato removed himself from CIL
(184) June 4: CFJ 597 (Alfvaen judged TRUE)

Note that 598, 603, 604, 609, 610, and the ones in TEFKatSC remain unjudged.

Next, a whole pile of CFJs were issued by JT when Slakko was actually the
acting CotC.  I didn't bother to add the dates on these, since none of
these were real CFJs, though in some cases the process may have made
sufficient game custom to resolve a situation anyway.  The first entry is
Alfvaen's verdict on 610, delivered to JT, which later was judged to make
him become deadbeat.  You can view the listed digests to see the material
on these in detail.

(187): CFJ 610 (FALSE)
(188): CFCJ 167 (867-5309)
(188): CFCJ 166 (Slakko)
(189): CFCJ 166 (Cortex of the Golden Frog)
(189): CFJ 611 (Nicollo Flychuck)
(189): CFCJ 166 (TRUE)
(189): CFCJ 167 (TRUE)
(190): CFCJ 166 (TRUE)
(190): CFJ 612 (Joe Java)
(191): CFJ 613 (Ayla)
(193): CFJ 611 (Wild Card)
(193): CFJ 611 (else...if)
(193): CFJ 612 (FALSE)
(194): CFJ 614 (K 2)
(196): CFJ 615 (IdiotBoy) CWCFJ
(196): CFJ 616 (J. M. Bear)
(196): CFJ 611 (Cortex of the Golden Frog)
(196): CFJ 616 thread cleanup
(196): CFJ 616 - Unofficial comment
(196): CFJ 617 (Koxvolio)
(196): CFCJ 168 (Koxvolio)
(196): CFJ 611 (TRUE)
(197): CFCJ 168 (JT)
(197): CFJ 616 (TRUE)
(197): CFJ 618 (Slakko)
(197): CFJ 617 (Slakko)
(197): CFJ 619 (JT)
(197): CFJ 617 (FALSE)
(197): CFJ 619 (INVALID)
(198): CFJ 618 (TRUE)
(198): CFJ 618 (Cortex of the Golden Frog)
(198): CFCJ 168 (TRUE)

(199) June 17: in a post in this digest I discussed the reharfing of the
above.  Also, there are some other messages in this digest and the previous
one explaining why this mess happened.  To summarize:
======================================================================
CFJ 610: As this verdict was delivered by Alfvaen to JT, it was not actually
delivered to the CotC and Alfvaen has gone deadbeat unless he sent a verdict
to Mr Tambourine Man before MTM went on vacation.

CFJ 611: The statements which have been distributed by JT labelled as CFCJ
166 and CFCJ 167 are not, in fact, CFCJs.
[JT did not actually appeal this CFJ and thus no penalty shall be assigned.]
[judged true, true upon appeal]

CFJ 612: Wild Card does not have a forked tonue. [judged false]

CFJ 613: Wild Card became Weird at 09:15:59 EDT. [not judged]

CFJ 614: There exists a player with the Ackanomic name Zaknafien. [not judged]

CFJ 615: Slakko achieved a Winning Condition within the last week.
[Slakko resent this as CFJ 611 in the new thread.]

CFJ 616: The Order of the Razor Boomerang owns a Truthseeker Otzma Card.
[judged true]

CFJ 617: The Razor Boomerangs chewed the Gumball on Thursday 21 May 1998.
[judged false]

CFJ 618: A short time after the adoption of Proposal 3194, the text in
Rule 340 that read "{{The Gingham Wearer loses two points. Alfvaen gains
two points. [He reminded me about the need to do this.]}}" was applied
once and then deleted.
[rufus did not actually appeal this CFJ and no penalty will be assigned.]
[judged true, true upon appeal]

CFJ 619: The above quoted attempt of the player who's real name is Jack Rudd
to use the Crazy French Scotsman rule failed, due to lack of ingenuity
within eir complaint.
[judged invalid]

CFCJ 166: The Mu-Cow Hunter committed the Crime of Disinterest on June 7th,
1998.
[The initiator (saaremaa) never actually paid a court fee to file this CFCJ.
The appealer (saaremaa) never actually appealed it and so does not suffer
a 1 point penalty on the appeal verdict.  Mu-Cow Hunter is not expelled
from the game.]

CFCJ 167: The Mu-Cow Hunter committed the Crime of Blatant Disregard on June
7, 1998.
[The initiator (Alfvaen) never actually paid a court fee to file this CFCJ.
Mu-Cow Hunter was not expelled from the game nor penalized 1000000 points.]

CFCJ 168: On 11 June 1998, Slakko committed the Crime of Lying in Print.
[The initiator (867-5309) never actually paid a court fee to file this CFCJ.
JT was not required to post a 10-line public apology.]
======================================================================

Slakko took over the duty of distributing CFJs at this point.
(199) June 17: CFJ 611 (Thread Beta) Slakko's museum CWCFJ (Fortunato)
(200) June 18: CFJ 610 "OotRB in wilds" by H****t [Alfvaen deadbeat] (Slakko)
(200) June 18: CFCJ 166a "Mu-Cow's Blatant Disregard" by Alfvaen (Koxvolio)
(200) June 18: CFJ 620 "Zaknafien's joining" by Alfvaen (Koxvolio)
(201) June 19: CFJ 621 "Timing of Self-deleting Text" by saaremaa (Slakko)
(201) June 19: CFJ 620 [Koxvolio declined] (Slakko)
(201) June 19: CFJ 622 "Can donate gadgets to CEIS" by Vynd (IdiotBoy)
(202) June 20: CFJ 623 "Boon for drinking 5 RHGFJs" by Alfvaen (Niccolo)
(202) June 20: CFJ 624 "Pandora's return date" by Alfvaen (else...if)
(203) June 20: CFJ 625 "Existence of Sin Rules" by saaremaa (Fortunato)
(204) June 21: CFJ 623 [Niccolo Flychuck declined] (Joe Java)
(205) June 22: CFJ 626 "K 2 is still Caped Crusader" by K 2 (Slakko)
(205) June 22: CFJ 623 [Joe Java declined] (Vynd)
(206) June 23: CFCJ 168 "else...if ignored the laws of nature" by K 2 (Slakko)
(207) June 24: CFJ 625 [Fortunato declined] (IdiotBoy)
(207) June 24: CFJ 624 [saaremaa appealed] (Golden Frog, /dev/joe, /dev/joe)

Judgements during Slakko's term as CotC:
(199) June 17: CFJ 611 (Thread Beta) (Fortunato judged TRUE)
(200) June 17: CFJ 610 (Slakko judged FALSE)
(201) June 19: CFCJ 166a (Koxvolio judged TRUE, penalty to expel Mu-Cow Hunter)
(201) June 19: CFJ 622 (IdiotBoy judged TRUE)
(202) June 20: CFJ 621 (Slakko judged TRUE)
(202) June 20: CFJ 620 (Slakko judged FALSE)
(206) June 23: CFJ 624 (else...if judged FALSE)
(206) June 23: CFJ 623 (Vynd judged FALSE)
(207) June 24: CFJ 624 (Cortex of the Golden Frog judged TRUE) (overturned)
(207) June 24: CFJ 626 (Slakko judged TRUE)
(207) June 24: CFCJ 168 (Slakko judged TRUE)

This is the break where I lost all my records.  At this point, 598, 603,
604, 609, 625, and the ones in TEFKatSC are unjudged.  Somewhere around
here MTM returns from his computer failure, and he distributes the next
set of stuff below.

(212) June 27: CFCJ 169 "K 2 ignored the laws of nature" by K 2 (JT)
(218) July 2: CFCJ 170 "867-5309 sinned" by 867-5309 (IdiotBoy)

(212) June 27: CFCJ 169 (JT judged TRUE)

At this point, JT took over as CotC.  He determines that the CIL contains
only CnH, Rex Mundi, and Alfvaen.  [In actuality, Wild Card, Attila the Pun,
Ayla, Koxvolio, and IdiotBoy should have been on it, but those CFJs had
fallen through the cracks.]  He also lists the other people ineligible to
judge CFJs for various reasons, and finally lists the 13 players actually
eligible to be chosen to judge CFJs.

Also, somewhere in here, Alfvaen became praetor again.

(224) July 6: CFJ 267 "Whamiols didn't trigger on P3215" by Alfvaen (else...if)
(224) July 6: CFCJ 171 "Vynd sinned" (JT)
(226) July 7: CFJ 628 "P3296 & P3290 subst. similar" by Alfvaen (JT)
(227) July 8: CFJ 629 "Whamiols triggered on P3216" by Alfvaen (867-5309)
(229) July 9: CFCJ 170 [IdiotBoy deadbeated] (Praetor - Alfvaen)
(233) July 13: CFJ 630 /dev/joe's Palidrome CWCFJ (Alfvaen)
(234) July 14: CFJ 631 K 2's CEIS CWCFJ (JT)
(234) July 14: CFJ 632 else...if's Museum CWCFJ (Vynd)
(234) July 14: CFJ 630 [/dev/joe appealed] (TEFKat Supreme Court)

(224) July 6: CFCJ 171 (JT judged TRUE)
(226) July 7: Fortunato removed himself from the CIL
(227) July 8: CFJ 628 (JT judged TRUE)
(230) July 10: CFJ 627 (else...if judged TRUE)
(231) July 11: CFCJ 170 (Alfvaen judged FALSE)
(231) July 11: CFJ 629 (867-5309 judged TRUE)
(234) July 14: CFJ 630 (Alfvaen judged FALSE)
(234) July 14: CFJ 631 (JT judged TRUE)
(235) July 15: CFJ 632 (Vynd judged TRUE)

Finally, MTM returned and took over as CotC again.  He just distributed these:
July 20: CFJ 625 (Alfvaen)
July 20: CFJ 633 (K 2)

and JT retracted 604.

This leaves CFJs 598, 603, and 609 to be assigned to the Praetor, 625 and 633
to be judged for the first time, and CFCJ 162 and CFJs 575, 587, 591, 630 CFJs
in the cortices.

Below I have included just the relevant references of the pending CFJs.

For Alfvaen:
(168) May 23: CFJ 598 "saaremaa isn't the godfather" by Slakko (Wild Card)
(175) May 30: CFJ 603 "Slakko and Wild Card aren't enlightened" by H****t (AtP)
(180) June 2: CFJ 609 "breadbox's rules with 'currently [email-masked]' are equally
                       legal and illegal" PWCFJ by MTM (Koxvolio)

For /dev/cortex:
(123) April 23: CFCJ 162 "H****'s illegal action" by K 2 (TGW)
(131) April 30: CFCJ 162 [TGW deadbeated & removed from CIL] (attempted to
                reassign to rufus but actually goes to the Praetor, Alfvaen)
(138) May 5: CFCJ 162 (Alfvaen judged TRUE)
(140) May 6: CFCJ 162 (appeal assigned to TEFKatSC)

(121) April 22: CFJ 575 "K 2 is not enlightened" by Slakko (Rex Mundi)
(131) April 30: CFJ 575 (Rex Mundi judged TRUE)
(132) May 1: CFJ 575 (Vynd appealed)

(138) May 5: CFJ 587 "Frank. monster Nyarlathotep exists" by H****t (Pandora)
(151) May 14: CFJ 587 [Pandora deadbeat] (attempted to assign to Illusion,
              but actually goes to the Praetor after a deadbeat)
(155) May 16: Alfvaen used his privilege as Praetor to send CFJ 587 to the SC.

(149) May 13: CFJ 591 "TGW hasn't learned his lesson" by Pandora (Ayla)
(155) May 16: CFJ 591 (Ayla judged TRUE)
(155) May 16: CFJ 591 (Slakko appealed)
(170) May 24: CFJ 591 [TGW noted that this CFJ maybe should be judged Invalid
              because it refers to TGW in the statement, which is not the name
              of any player.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:21:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Scaremongering

I don't want to be an alarmist but has anyone else noticed that breadbox
hasn't posted a single public message in over 4 days. Now what were those
elections that he had called? I want to vote on some proposals! I've not been
able to vote since before my enforced vacation!

MTM, Count Tabula and scaremongerer.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 19:12:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Potato

Whatever the player now known as The Wages of Sin's motives for changing
eir name, it seems to have worked, for e has broken a curse of over a
year's length, and found the Magic Potato this week.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Spirit of The West:Labour Day
Current Book--Ray Aldridge:The Orpheus Machine
I don't see you so don't pretend to be there.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 19:18:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ status

> Are we, and again I beg breadbox and ThinMan's pardon, now down to only
> one fully functional cortex?  I changed my mind about my earlier thoughts
> of becoming a Justice because with three cortexes, I thought we had things
> pretty well covered.  If thats changed, and someone would like to join me,
> perhaps I will start/join a cortex now, and give you guys a break.  At
> least one of those CFJs was appealed by me though, so we should at least
> arrange it so that one, and any other I or my partner would be ineligible
> for, go to /dev/cortex.

If my Proposal to remove the Office of Praetor succeeds, then I'd be willing
to consider it...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Spirit of The West:Labour Day
Current Book--Ray Aldridge:The Orpheus Machine
Your email has been returned due to insufficient voltage.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 22:23:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: CPPIA Results

Here are the results of the CPPIA Hearing on the trinkets "/dev/joe's bar
of gold #N"(where N is replaced by the numbers from 1 to 29):

  this is the hottest thing since the 'Hubert Feathers':

/dev/joe
K 2
rufus

  this is the most inane thing since the 'whatever it is we're auctioning today'

JT
JT's EBS
Vynd
Vynd's EBS
Rex Mundi
Rex Mundi's EBS
else...if
else...if's EBS
Attila the Pun

Even without the non-player entities voting, the verdict is clear.  Thus
/dev/joe forfeits the Standard Harfer Fee for Gaol murals, but the total
worth of the trinkets prevents them from becoming Forgeries.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Sara Craig:Sweet Exhaust
Current Book--Ray Aldridge:The Orpheus Machine
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 23:13:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Potato

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> Whatever the player now known as The Wages of Sin's motives for changing
> eir name, it seems to have worked, for e has broken a curse of over a
> year's length, and found the Magic Potato this week.
> 
> 

I changed my name because I thought it was cool. :)  I wasn't expecting
any fringe benefits.  I expect I will change it back before too long.
It's rather too cumbersome for everyday use, although not as long as SOME
people's names...

                        - The Wages of Vynd?

[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of ackanomic digest V3 #240
*******************************